NHL Announces National TV Schedule

Alex Ovechkin and the Caps are scheduled to play seven times on Versus next season -- up from four times last season. The NBC schedule remains incomplete, but the Caps do play Pittsburgh twice on Sunday afternoons. I'm willing to bet NBC will add at least one of them.

I'm writing a story for tomorrow's paper about the Caps' brisk season ticket sales this summer. In fact, the team's season ticket base could almost double by opening night. The base was between 4,500-5,000 at the start of last season, but now it's looking like that figure will be around 9,000 (or more), which will put the Caps near the league midpoint. Amazing what winning (and an MVP) can do for a team, isn't it?

Ticket prices, meantime, have gone up (some by as much as 10-percent, as many of you already know, no doubt). But that shouldn't have been unexpected considering the team is likely going to spend to the salary cap ceiling next season.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  August 14, 2008; 2:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clark On Washington Post Live
Next: Catching Up With Brent Johnson; Nylander Update

Comments

Good to see solid growth in our fan base, let's hope we keep it up and have actual fannies in seats!

Posted by: CapsCorndog | August 14, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

All of the sudden, Caps tix are the hottest tix in town. This is pretty cool.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | August 14, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

You got to win in any league to sell tickets.

It is a rare city that supports a mediocre team. In fact, any city that fully supports a bad team should find something else to do with their lives.

Football doesnt count though..how hard is it to get people to come party 8 times a year on a Sunday afternoon?

Posted by: SA-Town | August 14, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Tarik any news on Pothier and how the Caps are already over the ceiling this year.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

@Anonymous

Pothier's last info to us wasnt good. He thought he was OK, but felt effects when doing light physical activity.

As far as the cap...We are in a close range, and can go into camp, and hold try outs before any moves need to be made to cut payroll.

Maybe you want to here it from Tarik, but thats my take.

Posted by: SA-Town | August 14, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I hope the tension with Russia dies down soon. It's not very good for the Ruskies on our team.

Posted by: Danny | August 14, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Danny,

How is Russian tanks in Georgia not good for our Russians?

Posted by: Steve R | August 14, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

How is the growing anti-Russia sentiment good for our beloved Russian players??

Posted by: Danny | August 14, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Danny, so you're starting to hate Russians now?

Posted by: keef | August 14, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Unfortunately the face-value of tix didn't go up. DC added what they call a 10% "admission" tax (I think it's called). Not sure if the Caps will see any of that money. The overall price went up, but not the value of our tickets. Damn.

Posted by: Fro | August 14, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Growing anti-Russia sentiment where? In Georgia? Dude, talk to me if Ov is spotted commanding a tank, until that point I think it's safe to say that most people can differentiate between hockey and the Russian government taking a hard stance with a former USSR state. Most hockey fans anyway.

Posted by: Steve R | August 14, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

@Fro -- You are correct with that 10% increase. That's us Caps fans paying for a 2/3rds empty NATTY park that the Nat's ownership refuses to pay a lease on in a timely manner because the city 'didn't meet certain thresholds'.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | August 14, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

If the U.S. retaliates against Russia(it already said it would if they didn't leave immediately),then Russia could "hold up" the exit visas of NHL'ers,or the State Dept. could withhold "work visas".I asked Tarik about this 2 DAYS AGO,but no response.

Posted by: roccky | August 14, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I got no problem with Russia and I love our Russian players.

All I'm saying is that all this tension could be a distraction -- though I certainly hope not.

Posted by: Danny | August 14, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Russia and Georgia played in womens beach volleyball yesterday... then they went out for some kung pao chicken... all is good

Posted by: JSchon | August 14, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

When did the Russians invade Georgia? I live in Atlanta and I've seen nothing..no tanks, not even heard the pop of a gun? When did this happen and why did they choose Georgia?

Posted by: Chief | August 14, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

@Chief

I sure hope Russia invades Pennsylvania. I really dont think anyone else in the 49 states would give a rats a##.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

@ Go Skins Go

Actually, Nats Park is ~75% full (ticket sales-wise), and the DC gov't didn't fulfill certain contractual obligations. It's perfectly within the Lerners' rights to withhold money and typifies the DC gov't's ineptitude with anything other than blowing money.

Posted by: Jeff | August 14, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

My season tickets went up 18%. So it was not just the "DC tax." The Caps are getting some of it.

If anyone is interested, I'm looking for a seatmate for some of the games. I have good but cheap seats. And yes, you'd have to sit with me! :-)

Posted by: Jill | August 14, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Jill,

Are you hot?

Posted by: Danny | August 14, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

before anyone starts getting their panties in a bunch, Danny's question is a pefectly reasonable one.

Posted by: every male | August 14, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

why do people think that the Russian conflict with Georgia has any affect how people view our Russian players. Give me break its not like OV and Semin picked up ak47's.

Keep the politics out of sports...jezzus people.

TJ

Posted by: TJ | August 14, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

That question is to be expected, but I don't really have the answer. Anyway, I'm not looking for a date, just a seatmate (male or female).

Posted by: Jill | August 14, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

hahaha
i can't believe he said that. hahaha

i have decent seats too, in the 400 section if anyone's interested in a couple games too.

Posted by: MNMNT | August 14, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I'd be interested, but I wouldn't be able to go any games with more than a few days prior notice.

Posted by: JSchon | August 14, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

it's not gonna die soon unfortunately, because it is all about oil again, otherwise nobody would give rat's *ss about Iraq or Georgia

Posted by: King | August 14, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

We should have a good group of honest season ticket holders here that can share/swap - sell for STH prices.

I know that if I have two friends that want to catch a game on a Fri night, I will come here to see who can help. I certainly will have some nights I cant go as well.

Posted by: SA-Town | August 14, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have info on Nylander? Rumor has it he is leaving

Posted by: fat jack | August 14, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

The 10% ticket tax at Verizon is not to pay for Nationals Park. It is to pay for the improvements that Abe Pollin made to the Verizon Center. Pollin got money from DC to pay for the improvements. The District issued bonds and revenue from the tax pays off the bonds. I believe that Caps season tickets were issued before the tax increase went into effect so STHs did not pay the tax last season.

Posted by: Cathy W | August 14, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

@SA-Town

I could do the same but I just have a single. I usually skip one game a month so that I can build up trade-in value and get a bunch of seats together in one fell swoop.

Posted by: keef | August 14, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

@ SA-Town, I think the Ticketmaster Ticket Exchange program is for STH selling at ST prices. Not sure though (I've never used it).

Posted by: Jill | August 14, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I now am a STH woo hoo. let's go Caps!

Posted by: CapsFanInHollywood | August 14, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Tarik:
Nice article about tickets, however the prices quoted are gate prices, not STH prices (please - don't make it any worse than it already is!!! ;-)).

Posted by: Boo! | August 14, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

@Boo! - I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that the Post's fact-checkers did not catch that. ;-)

Nice story Tarik - the Caps used to refer to season ticket equivalents (including full and partials) for their reported ST numbers - presumably they are still doing the same...

Posted by: Jill | August 14, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

What is considered a top 10 franchise in terms of ticket sales...12,000 STH or ST equivalents?

9,000 is an improvement, but I would think Ted would like to get to 12,000. That should come with consistent winning and definately would with a cup or two

Posted by: O-V-P | August 14, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

O-V-P,

Can the club level seats be sold as season tickets? If no, 12,000 might be tough.

Posted by: Steve R | August 14, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Club level can be sold as ST because the Caps don't own them, Abe does.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 14, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Jill:
They must not be STHs ... ;-)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

@steve,

I am not sure, but it would be nice to get to 12,000. I'm sure it would also help out if Ted could finally get full control of VC and Wizards.

Posted by: O-V-P | August 14, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have the phone number for the Caps store at the Verizon Center? I bought a Mike Green jersey for my wife there the other night at the open house and I noticed yesterday that the name patch is falling off.

Posted by: Tim | August 15, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Or, does anyone know their hours?

Posted by: Tim | August 15, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Tim:
It does not say on the website, but here is the main #:

Verizon Center
601 F Street, NW
Washington, DC 20004
Automated Phone: (202) 628-3200
Receptionist: (202) 661-5000

Posted by: Boo! | August 15, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Boo!

Posted by: Tim | August 15, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

I wish I was out of school and had a real job already so I could buy season tickets.. :(

I sure hope there's still Student Rush Nights this season.. or else I'm going to be paying a lot of money to Visa.

Posted by: Jordan | August 15, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad that 6 of the 7 games VS is showing are away games. That means HD!!! I hope comcast starts showing all the away games in HD sometime soon.

Posted by: Tim | August 15, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy,

The club seats are actually being sold as season tickets this year, but through the Verizon Center directly - not through the Caps.

They are opening plans on them where you can buy season tickets for the Wizards or the Caps in that section and get "preferred status" for other events like concerts, and membership in the Acela Club. I was actually suprised at how low the price is for them (49.50 per game), but I'm guessing the money goes to Abe and not Ted.

Posted by: Jordana | August 15, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

The money goes to Washington Sports & Entertainment, of which Ted & Lincoln Holdings own 44%. http://www.verizoncenter.com/about/wse.shtml

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

@tarik

Im surprised to see that your Caps story didnt beat out the Phelps story on the front right. Im sure you were pushing hard for it.

Posted by: SA-Town | August 15, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

@ other STHs

Do you all know when the packages are supposed to be mailed out? Has anyone received theirs, yet?

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | August 15, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

@Drinking partner

I would think they should come in 2-3 weeks. You usually get them pretty close to the first pre-season game.

Posted by: SA-Town | August 15, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

The packets sent last week indicate that season tickets will start being mailed out on September 15.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Okay, thanks. I have yet to receive my packet, unfortunately.

@ Tarik

Any info about why Nylander's house is on the market?

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | August 15, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

my gf got season tickets this season but there was a separate order form in there for the preseason games...how are these not included already?

Posted by: pat | August 15, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

@SA-Town

I thought the ticket story was going out front, too. I mean, how much more of this Phelps guy can we take? :-)

@Drinking Partner

I've been asking around about Nylander's house being up for sale for more than a week. It certainly strikes me as curious. But I've been told by some folks on the inside not to jump to conclusions. So I'm going to resist. For now.

Posted by: Tarik | August 15, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I don't like the idea of losing Nylander. If Feds leaves next season, who else is going to play center besides Nick?

Posted by: Jordan | August 15, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jordan | August 15, 2008 10:28 AM

Exactly! The Caps may be deep at center right now (like thats a bad thing), but I don't think Feds will be back next year.

Posted by: Tim | August 15, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

@Tarik

Seriously...Lets see what Phelps has once we freeze that pool, and put him on skates.

Posted by: SA-Town | August 15, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

As far as Nylander goes, I am going to keep hoping whoever posted after supposedly talking to the listing agent. I believe the story was that Nylander was looking at a place in Georgetown which would be closer to the practice rink, and if he can make a chunk of change on the current house, then why the heck not.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 15, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

@pat

That was if she wanted to order additional tickets. Full season plans include the preseason games.

Posted by: keef | August 15, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Selling only 9,000 season tickets for a team with Ovechkin that made the playoffs in 07-08 is truly pathetic.

Posted by: SabresFan | August 15, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Only 9,000 season tickets sold is truly pathetic for a team that made the playoffs with Ovechkin on it. Capitals are far from a hot ticket in Washington.

Posted by: SabresareBuffalo | August 15, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Less than 9,000 season tickets sold to watch Ovechkin and a playoff team is hardly what I would call a hot ticket in Washington.

Posted by: SabresareBuffalo | August 15, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

When will your weekly friday chats start up again? those are fun to read and pretty informative about the caps and the league

Posted by: capsfan98 | August 15, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

gee, Sabresfan/areBuffalo/Chief, thanks for sharing your idiocy with the triple post--thrice the laughs! enjoy your fleeting NHL moments while you still have pro hockey, before the team moves north of the border to join the Bills.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

From nhl.com

"Christmas in July. Well ... not quite. Not when impact players Joe Sakic, Mats Sundin, Brendan Shanahan and Teemu Selanne have yet to announce their intentions for the 2008-09 NHL season. We've definitely seen a lot of packages opened halfway before Christmas. Pricey gifts. On the surface, you might ask, which teams have been the best shoppers? ...

Capitals -- Getting Sergei Fedorov to return to the Capitals after a rebirth of sorts in D.C. is definitely a plus. And if the Caps are getting the Jose Theodore that led Colorado to a playoff berth in the second half of the season amidst so many injuries in Colorado, well, then, the net in Washington is in better hands than it was with Kolzig, Huet and Brent Johnson."

To see the rest of the story, go here:

Posted by: Boo! | August 15, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: uncatim | August 16, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

I worked for the Caps in commercial sales, had plenty of good times and success.

The claims over season ticket sales in comparison to past years is an utter joke.

At the very least, TEB should have provided the season ticket holder numbers pre Leonsis and how it plunged after he took over, only to finally start climbing.
The numbers are telling, Ted should take heart and be very grateful to the fans.

Posted by: Former Rep | August 16, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

alright, shameless plug time....

I started my own blog (will have the occasional Caps entry) that will deal mainly with the upcoming travel hockey season. I am coaching a Squirt and Bantam team this season and will be blogging about it and some other stuff. Since i have never blogged before any suggestions or comments would be nice. I did do the whole 5 ways i would change the NHL (taken from Puck Daddy's blog) mainly because of Ross McKeon's terrible ideas.

hey, sometimes it is lonely being a caps fan down here in Raleigh.

Posted by: Mike | August 16, 2008 1:33 AM | Report abuse

sorry, here is the link.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2008 1:34 AM | Report abuse

Mike/Anonymous:
Nice blog, but, uh, not so anonymous anymore! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | August 16, 2008 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Tim:
Interesting articles - thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Boo! | August 16, 2008 7:38 AM | Report abuse

The Caps are shopping Nylander, i have a credible source. HOUSE FOR SALE, 36 , COMING OFF SHOULDER SURGERY, 5 MIL enough said. I heard Vancouver is very interested his agent is now with management there, and by the way his kids go to school in MD and play hockey in MD why would he want to move furher away than Potomac???

Posted by: fat jack | August 16, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

If Nylander is moved, and assuming we do not get a top 12 in return...

OV/Backstrom/Kozlov
Semin/Fedorov/Clark
Flash/Laich/Fehr
Brashear/Steckel/Bradley

Right?

Posted by: JSchon | August 16, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

10 4

Posted by: fat jack | August 16, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

JSchon--I'd say Gordon is 4th center, Steckel 3rd, and Laich stays on the wing. Flash sits.

But don't sweat it, Nyls is not going anywhere. Fat Jack's got nothin'

Posted by: bigonetimer | August 16, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

What bigonetimer said ... :-)

Posted by: Boo! | August 16, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Nylander is not going anywhere anytime soon. I could see him get moved at the deadline if he waives his ntc and steckel and gordon really step it up this year.

If I were in his shoes though I would not want to get traded. Caps will have a very good team for a long time to come.

Posted by: Tim | August 16, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

@sabres fan- Nice Stanley Cup. Oh,that's right you don't have won either. And 0-4 in Super Bowls. You will never live that down. Aren't the Bills playing a game in Toronto this year. Pretty sad when you have to go on a road trip for a home game.

Posted by: markfromparkville | August 16, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I don't get why people correlate a house for sale with Nylander being moved to another team. That would imply that Caps management discusses player's futures with them in advance of making trades, and we all know that is not the case.

Posted by: huh? | August 16, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I Don't See it happening. CAPS want him here, for this year,and next year when Feds is not here. Nylander likes it here, it is obvious he signed here as a free agent. We can work around our salary cap issue without trading (no trade clause) Nylander.I like him on the second line with Semen and Clark.....

OV Backs Koz
Semen Nyl Clark
Brooks Feds Fehr
Brash Stecks Bradly

Flash/Gordon -

Posted by: No Trade Clause | August 16, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Boo... just forgot to put my name in the second post :)

Posted by: Mike | August 16, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@Sabres,

Nice response markfromparkville, I can't stand cocky sabres fans who don't have much to be cocky about, and note, he is not markfrompominville...

Posted by: Super | August 16, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Nylander should have never been brought back.

Nylander is, has been and always will be a journeyman, yes, even skilled guys travel wherever they need to for money.
Oh, having an army for a family makes it even funnier, what a gypsy.

Posted by: Chief | August 16, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Tarik rules

Posted by: CapsFan | August 16, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

@ FatJack

Just wondering you asked if any one had heard anything about Nylander, because you heard a rumor he was being traded, then two days later you said you had a credible source.....can you name the source?

Posted by: Source?? | August 16, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

@ Chief, you said/typed

"Nylander should have never been brought back.
He played no part in the team's success last season and has been known to be difficult for a coach."

You admit we had some "Team Success" last year......your getting soft on us.....something th misses has known for years!

Posted by: Ole Softy | August 16, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

This franchise can only sell 9,000 season tickets after a run to the playoffs and Ovechkin on the team. That is what I would hardly call a hot ticket.

Posted by: SabresFanInDC | August 16, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Pominville, population... zero

Posted by: Super | August 16, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

SabresFanInDC:

As you know, Buffalo has the Bills and the Sabres.

The D.C. area has to spread its love and its ticket money among the three-time Super Bowl winning Redskins (top gun in this area), the Capitals, the Wizards, the Mystics, D.C. United, U-MD basketball and football, and Georgetown basketball among other sports draws. Then there's the Kennedy Center (with several performance stages), Constitution Hall, the Warner Theater, Fords Theater, clubs like Blues Alley, the Birchmere, the 930 Club, etc.

Also, club seats purchased by Capitals fans are counted as Verizon Center sales, not Capitals season tickets.

Then there's the fact that the D.C. area is made up of many transients who have loyalties to other teams.

I'm from Buffalo. I grew up playing hockey in the Aud and Fort Erie, and watching the AHL Bisons. I understand the loyalty to the Bills and Sabres. I'm a hockey and Capitals fan and I wish there were more of us in this area. But Buffalo and the D.C. area are just not alike.

Posted by: Joe B | August 16, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know the Sabres were Chief's team, now it's making sense...

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

So in other words Joe B, the area has lots of entertainment choices and the Capitals aren't anywhere near being important on that list you mentioned. So why should Jim Balsillie and Hamilton be deprived of NHL hockey, so that a very small group of fans (9,000)can keep a team that most in the area will never be interested in? I wonder if Tarik will tell us how much money the Caps lost last year, despite the success?

Posted by: SabresFanInDC | August 16, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

@SabresFanInDC
What is your point?? In your mind (if you have one) what should the STH base #'s be?
What does Hamilton not having NHL hockey have Anything to do with the Capitals? Is our fan base keeping them from having a team?
If Ted is not happy with area/attendence it
is his Team, he can do as he pleases.

Posted by: Why do you care? | August 16, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

The point is Why do you care? is that there are better hockey markets that will appreciate the Capitals & Ovechkin more than the DC Metro area will. After last years run to the playoffs and Ovechkin's great season, you would like to think the Capitals could sell more than 9,000 season tickets in an area of this size.

Posted by: SabresFanInDC | August 16, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Be gone troll.

Posted by: Steve R | August 16, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

SabresFaninDC

Now I know this won't shut you up, I doubt anything will. But with ~9000 season ticket holders, that's approxiametely 50% of the stadium. I know that doesn't hold up against many other NHL teams in terms of numbers, but it's also double what they were a year ago.

It's also interesting to note that the Caps AVERAGED an 85% capacity rate. Again, not too impressive until you think about the start the Caps had last year.

What that says to me is that the Caps, and their ticket sales are on the rise. Come back at the end of this season and bring up the same point. I'd be willing to bet that the Caps are in the 1/4 of the NHL in terms of attendance numbers. If I'm wrong, I'll put my foot in my mouth...it wouldn't be the first time.

As for Hamilton...c'mon really? At least make the argument for a city like Winnipeg. Hamilton is what...45 minutes out of Toronto and 90 minutes out of Buffalo? Show me another place, other than NYC (the third largest Metropolitan area in the world) that has 3 teams in such a short area.

Posted by: Yosh | August 16, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

SabresFaninDC

Forgetting about the fact that the Caps drew more fans per game and in total number than several other teams...I assume you're making the same argument on the Bruins sites? Or maybe any of these other teams...

Florida
Nashville
NY Islanders
Columbus
Phoenix

Or maybe even the Devils who brought in a whopping 92 more fans per game than the Caps...

Posted by: Yosh | August 16, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Here are some facts. Before the Hamilton Predators website was shutdown last fall it had received 15,000 season ticket deposits and sold out 80 corporate boxes, which by the way don't exist at Copps Coliseum presently.This was done knowing full well that the Predators more than likely wouldn't be allowed by the NHL to move.
The Capitals with Alex Ovechkin in their lineup coming off a playoff season, have sold slightly under 9,000 season tickets and I would suspect far fewer corporate suites. Why wouldn't anyone looking at these numbers be suspect of how healthy NHL hockey is in Washington?

Posted by: SabresFanInDC | August 16, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

hmmm, someone not quite happy with the current state of their team, so they come to the website of the most exciting, improved, potentially winningest franchise over the next decade or so trying to make us all feel as miserable as you? sorry, aint gonna happen

Posted by: kiss my left ball | August 16, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

@SabreFanInDC

Drury, Briere and Campbell...

Soon Pominville will be added to the list.

Enjoy 9th in the East.

Posted by: JSchon | August 16, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Take solace in knowing that you'll have Trent Edwards as you QB...

Posted by: JSchon | August 16, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

@Sabresfan

From the June 14, 2007 Globe and Mail:

"If and when the NHL allows a team to relocate to Hamilton, a sales representative will contact you with season ticket seating location information. Seating locations will be allocated based on when the deposits were made, with earlier deposits being offered the better seating locations. At that time the depositor can choose to purchase the offered tickets or request a refund of their deposit. Deposits will be automatically refunded in the event that it is determined that the team will not be moving to Hamilton, but in any event no later than December 2009."

So actually, the 15,000 deposits don't really represent 15,000 people in the stands for a given game. In fact, it's a gimmick, drawing 15,000 entries for about 4,000 premium seats--no strings attached.

The reality is that the erstwhile Hamilton Preds would have likely struggled, like any expansion team would, to put a lot of fannies in the seats, night after night. It's close by, but surely not quite Tronna, now is it?

Maybe you should get your "facts" straight before coming here, quadruple posting the same sorry line, and then trying to present a cogent argument, which at the end of the day means absolutely nothing.

Posted by: bigonetimer | August 16, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I just checked the cable lineup for JMU...I get CSN, News Channel 8, and VERSUS in my dorm room!! I'm not gonna miss a single game!!

Posted by: JMUcapsfan | August 16, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

zap

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

sounds like Balsillie made out OK anyway. 15,000 deposits and 80 suites at X% interest over Y months. And Hamilton gets...a pat on the back

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Just reading The Hockey News' "Fab 50" - guess who is rated #1?!? Our beloved MVP? Nooooooooooo!!!!!! That would be too easy. It's Sid the Kid, of course!! When will they learn? What amazing feat will Ovie have to accomplish this season to get their attention? Good grief ...

Mike:
So how did a Caps fan end up in Carolina? I take it that you're not feelin' the love for the Canes?

Posted by: Boo! | August 17, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

JMUcapsfan,
Freshman year dorm living was when I started watching the Caps. Back home all we get is Canes games. JMU dorms are definitely not bad for catching some hockey.
Boo!,
C'mon, haven't you figured out that Sid is the second coming of Jesus at this point? *rolls eyes* His name is unscrew-upable, he's North American, etc, etc. The very fact that he's easy is what makes him #1. Ovie will have to walk on water (the non-frozen variety) first. It will most probably take a Cup before everyone finally sees what DC fans see. Although I'm surprised that its THN that ranked it that way. I would expect it of ESPN or say Fox Sports, but not them. Oh well, their loss, right?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | August 17, 2008 1:02 AM | Report abuse

JMU:
Hrmpf ...

Posted by: Boo! | August 17, 2008 1:59 AM | Report abuse

@Boo

eh, grew up in Chantilly, went to Mary Washington and moved down here for a job three years ago. Let's say it was a great day to walk around with my caps shirt and hat after knocking the Canes out of the play-offs. Still get back up to DC for 5 games or so and go to all the games the caps play down here.

As much as people want to bash hockey and the fans down here, I have really been impressed with the support in the area for the Canes, and the talent of both youth and adult players in the area. Some great beer league competation down here

Posted by: Mike | August 17, 2008 7:36 AM | Report abuse

@SabresFanInDC
"Here are some facts. Before the Hamilton Predators website was shutdown last fall it had received 15,000 season ticket deposits and sold out 80 corporate boxes, which by the way don't exist at Copps Coliseum presently"

I'll take two of them there suites, there alot easier to pay fer when they don't even exist. Darn it, lets make it three of them, so my young ins have a place to play!

Posted by: Gimmie 2 of them there suites | August 17, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@Gimmie 2 of them suites

Hell they can't even keep a web site alive, how in the hell will they ever survive trying to keep a NHL organization going??

Posted by: wow..... | August 17, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

sabres fan,
so where were you in 2003 when your team was 27th in the league in attendance. dont' tell me just cause the sabres sucked that year that the fans didnt come out to support their team? fair weather fans? it must be difficult for you to accept that the caps are on the way up and your team choked away its best chance to win a stanley cup ever. the caps will probably never sell out the arena for a full season like they do in other cities, but if form holds true this season, i think its not a stretch to see the caps attendance equal the sabres.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | August 17, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Boo!,
Sorry! :-( Just sayin' though...

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | August 17, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

mark my word Nylander is going to Vancouver his agent Mike Gillis is the GM, Tarik please reply

Posted by: player | August 17, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Keep Nylander....we want Sundin

Posted by: Vancouver | August 17, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Hahaha sabresfanindc has some real issues. Its ok man no matter what you tell yourself DC is still far suprior than that dump you call buffalo and on top of that we love depressing you when it counts (see 1992 superbowl and 1998 eastern conference final) now go watch lacrosse maybe you will win something, i know it is hard for you to appreciate a diverse city coming from that dump you call home. Lets see if you come to VC to see your team get spanked man, it will be nice to see ovie coming in on breakaways on miller. You and ryan will be sh!tting your pants. Now go back to your pathetic life

Posted by: O-V-P | August 17, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

From the Hockey Buzz, discussions on the Caps salary cap......really not a big issue to get all hung up on.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | August 17, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Mike:
I admire your loyalty! And I know what you mean - I have friends in NC and the Canes fans there are the real deal ... but I still don't like 'em! ;-)

JMU:
I know, but it still makes me crazy, especially since Ovie does walk on (frozen) water!!

Posted by: Boo! | August 17, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

SabresFanInDC:

Yeah, there sure are some rabid hockey fans in Hamilton...
In 2006-07, the year the Hamilton Bulldogs won the AHL's Calder Cup, they were 14th in the league in attendance, averaging 4888 per game. The following season, when they were the defending Cup champions, attendance actually DROPPED to 15th in the league, averaging 4575. So those 15000 season ticket deposits for an NHL team will drop rapidly after a few seasons of mediocrity.

And oh by the way, the attendance leader of the AHL both of those years was the Hershey Bears, the Caps' farm team, averaging 8671 in 2006-07 and 8770 in 2007-08.

Posted by: tess | August 17, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

On hockey in dorms:

At Catholic U in NE, I was 5 metro stops from Verizon, but I did not have CSN or Versus. When I didn't pony up for games I was stuck with the radio or 3" low-quality internet streams of versus feeds.

This season, now that I'm graduated and out of the dorms, I have an 11-game pack, Versus, CSN and a DVR. So much better....

Posted by: AM Capsfan | August 18, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Trade Nylander to Vancouver they need a first line center and he wont be # 1 or 2 here. He wasnt part of the run last year so lets get a dman for him.

Posted by: wendel | August 18, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

wendel,

Which d-man did you have in mind?

Posted by: Steve R | August 18, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

edler

Posted by: wendel | August 18, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Interesting thought. Unproven d-man for a top line center. It would free up a lot of cap space though.

Posted by: Steve R | August 18, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

@ Wendel
Nyl will be the 2nd line center. Maybe With him in the line-up we would have beaten Philly and moved on. Gotta look at how much better we could have been with another proven,solid,player in the line-up. Our D will be fine , just with the growth/expierence we have gotten, and the young ones comming in.

Posted by: Second line center | August 18, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

The Caps don't need to free up a bunch of cap space. They are only $192,212 over with Pothier on LTIR(if my math is right, and the numbers at hockeybuzz are right). And that is with Alzner on the team. If the Caps didnt buy out Clymer then there is no salary cap issues.

Posted by: Tim | August 18, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Tim, I was being sarcastic not advocating that move.

Posted by: Steve R | August 18, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse