NHL discussing possibility of women's hockey league

The New York Times reported Thursday that the NHL is involved in preliminary discussions about the possibility of setting up a women's hockey league as parity in the women's game continues to decrease internationally.

"I was in a meeting just this week with the N.H.L. and all the stakeholders in women's hockey, and I think we have the ear of the N.H.L.," Hayley Wickenheiser, 32, a Canadian forward regarded as one of the game's greatest female players, said Thursday.
"They're looking at it right now from a sponsorship level to get it off the ground," Wickenheiser said, referring to the N.H.L. "We're not talking about big salaries, just sensible steps to get it on the ice to entertain people and see where it can go, and then down the road having an elite, W.N.B.A.-type league."
Bill Daly, the N.H.L. deputy commissioner, said the talks had taken place over a number of months and were very preliminary, but they were aimed at setting up a "women's league or women's competition."

If a women's league would come to fruition somewhere down the road, it would definitely be an interesting move for hockey. What do you think? Would you attend games or follow professional women's hockey?

By Katie Carrera  |  August 27, 2010; 10:20 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NHL releases national TV schedule; Kings sign Willie Mitchell
Next: Southeast renaissance: Caps have some competition

Comments

hayley wickenheiser? Doug's sister? daughter? wife?

I heard when Doug Wickenheiser played pro hockey he once only made 25k in a season. And that was like late 80s. Right before Stevens landed his million dollar deal as a FA

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 27, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Ummm, the men's hocky league is still struggling to gain traction in the American market, and they want to start up a women's league?

Posted by: cainoo7x | August 27, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

------------

I think the Caps would do well in the new league. I'm thinking 3rd round at least.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 27, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm a woman and I play hockey. I think this potential development is great. Yes I would follow it and yes I'd go and/or watch games. I love the game of hockey and this will increase its exposure/might (hopefully) increase people's interest.

As surely as the sun rises, there will be loud protest and a rainfall of sarcastic quips. After all, insults to male players by male fans fequently revolve around being female, female names, female body parts and the like. The usual, pretty standard eighth grade stuff. Whatever.

I do think that the women's game definitely needs to change to allow the same type of checking/hitting as the men's game. Over all though, it's pretty cool!

Thanks Katie!

GO CAPS!!

Posted by: nena1 | August 27, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

cstanton...you get a time out for that one!

Posted by: nimrodrsp | August 27, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I keep hoping the WMBA goes away and now this? Ugh. NOOOOOO!!!

Posted by: jimc93 | August 27, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

oh come on, i'm kidding. I think they could win the Cup in that league. With DJKing on the 1st line.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 27, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

What the hell is Gary Bettman thinking? The NHL was treading water only a few years ago and now they want to sponsor a womens league? I'm sorry nena1 but there aren't enough male or female fans like you that would help sustain that league, it'll be a failure and money pit.

Posted by: RockingBurgundy | August 27, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Nena, what would their outfits look like?

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 27, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

cstanton...thats better.

Posted by: nimrodrsp | August 27, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

The womans futbol league folded.
Minor league haockey has not made it in the area(skipjacks(ahl) icebreakers(echl)).
The NHL can barely get a tv contract.
I don't know how the wnba draws or if it sucks revenue from the nba to survive.
usfl,xfl, [whatever]fl have all failed in N.America. cfl failed in US.

I just don't see a women's league surviving without serious propping up by the NHL which may have another labor/work stoppage issue in the very near future.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | August 27, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

If it is a choice between the men and women, then I will watch the men 99% of the time and the women will be relegated to commercial channel flipping. However, I would watch the women if the men were not on.

Posted by: _Mark | August 27, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

The only women's sport I enjoy watching (besides men's soccer), is softball. Those chicks have the best fundamentals. I've never seen a single error yet.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 27, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Yes, because the WNBA has been so successful. Great idea.

Posted by: noogiepuck | August 27, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

strasberg out for a year and a half....good career i guess

and the women's hockey league is not a good idea

Posted by: _stevo | August 27, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Good idea? No. The WNBA is a $$$$$ loser and is only still around because David Stern is willing to throw the $$$$$ into a black hole to help his owners fullfill naming rights contracts.

WUSA didn't last and WPL isn't going to last much longer.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a WNHL, I barely stand watching the women's games during the Olympics.

Posted by: CapsNut | August 27, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

i didn't hear that about that pitcher. That sucks. Elbow or something? I wonder if that makes Rob Dibble feel like kinduva jerk

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 27, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

yep, tommy john surgery. This is completely unscientific but I have to think there's something awry with his mechanics if he blew his elbow out.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 27, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

when did the WNBA become an elite league? I know high school programs with better average attendance...

Posted by: Chewbacca22 | August 27, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsNut | August 27, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Not true. Most of the WNBA's owners are private companies NOT financed by the WNBA. If the women have game, let them play. I'd support a team in DC.

Posted by: stwasm | August 27, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

No, no, no. Terrible idea.

Posted by: chrisclarksucks | August 27, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

The US and Canadian women's teams practice against Midget boys teams (high school age). They consider this "playing up" as compared to the competition provided by their peers.

The point is that women's hockey is not the best hockey product available to watch, by far. If every level higher than Midget hockey is superior to professional women's hockey, then most people will likely not find it appealing.

However, I totally welcome the idea, as it spreads exposure of the sport. A sport is either growing or shrinking, so we should all embrace the growing with an open mind. That doesn't mean we have to watch it if we don't want to, but somebody else may want to. I think it deserves a chance.

Posted by: Contaminate | August 27, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I keep hoping the WMBA goes away and now this? Ugh. NOOOOOO!!!

Posted by: jimc93 | August 27, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

The WNBA is here to stay. Accept it!

Yes, because the WNBA has been so successful. Great idea.

Posted by: noogiepuck | August 27, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

The fact that the WNBA has been around 13 years shows that is HAS BEEN successful. If you hate women's sports so much, why even bother commenting on them?

Posted by: Chewbacca22 | August 27, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Right! High school programs that average 8,000 people? I don't think so.

Posted by: stwasm | August 27, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Schultz and Flash have been named the co-captains.

Posted by: underpants2 | August 27, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

maybe what it does is encourage more young girls to get into youth hockey leagues. Then maybe the sport will grow and become more competitive. So even if this league rises and dies within 2-3 yrs, it may be long enough to sprout some more female youth leagues. It seems like there are some adult leagues for women but maybe they need more youth leagues.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 27, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Schultz and Flash have been named the co-captains.

Posted by: underpants2 | August 27, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

man, you are soo in trouble now....

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 27, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Finally a league Crosby can call home although the nut punching tactics will not work as well against the women.

Posted by: Moose33 | August 27, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I feel women’s leagues in general are a losing proposition. You can give them any positive pc spin you like, but the fact remains that the reason women need their own league is because they are unable to compete with the men physically. The on ice product will always be inferior to the men’s side. If this were ever false you would see more women playing in men’s leagues and not need gender divided fixtures.

I would rather see women crack NHL lineups and be acknowledged as good hockey players instead of joining a mediocre barely and acknowledged league where they can be great female hockey players.

Posted by: trunkenmath | August 27, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Katie = please do us all a favor and don't ever post news like that again! As you can tell in less than 2hrs this topic has gone downhill fast.

If it does however get off the ground and Ted gets a team I nominate Cstanton to be GM. I would love for him to be GM if for a day. Here are Cstantons 1st 3 questions when being the GM for a Woman's pro hockey league:

1. Does Bob Probert have a daughter (knowing how to skate is irrelivant)
2. Does Tie Domi have a daughter (once again skating is optional)
3. Does Hextall have a daughter that's fat (once again skating is optional)

Oh and I forgot, can men coach? If so I think he'd want to know if PJ Stock will coach. One of the best fights ever PJ & S Peat! Voted best fight of 2002!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | August 27, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I found the women's olympic hockey painful to watch. I can't say that I have any interest in watching a pro league.

Posted by: Steve_R | August 27, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Would not be interested. Leonsis can't get a men's team right. Why would anyone think he could do a better job with a women's team?

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 27, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

The economics of NHL hockey in general as well as some of the other issues like the success of other women's sports leagues that have been mentioned above are true - sad but true. But so is the pervasive attitude towards women playing what are perceived to be male-only sports, evident even in some of your comments. Also sad - but predictable.

Please, I get it. I've played lots of sports on a non-professional level and have experienced the bias even there. Nothing too new on that front in my lifetime as of yet. To be sure, of the many, many, MANY things in the world that I wish were different right now, this is not among the top ten thousand. Still my expressed interest or opinion is not changed.

cstanton1, their hockey chick outfits would def be something super hot that would make all you cool dudes tune in to watch. Why do you think us gals watch guys play hockey??? LOVE those short pants and form-fitting gloves! OMG, the helmets!!*squee*!!! :)

Anyway, hope everyone has a great Friday/weekend!

GO CAPS!!! (I. Cannot. Wait. Much. Longer.!)

Posted by: nena1 | August 27, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Semin can actually win a slapfight in this league!

poker, that was a good fight in a good game. But i did find it a bit humorous that the fight got so much attention. In the 25+ yrs of watching hockey, I would find it hard to rank that fight in my top 30. But maybe because the fighting had gone down for a while, that's why the Peat-Stock fight garnered so much attention.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 27, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 27, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

ted has a men's team?

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 27, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

No. Bad idea. I'm a woman and I would not watch women's hockey. I don't watch it in the Olympics. I won't buy a ticket to watch it. People who are used to the NHL complain that the AHL is soooo slow. Women's hockey is slower still. It'd be worse than the WNBA.

Posted by: tess2201 | August 27, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton

how is the stock/peat fight not in your top 30? that fight was awesome

Posted by: _stevo | August 27, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

There are some sports where the women's game is about as popular as the men's. One in particular is tennis. I don't watch much tennis, but it seems the women are about 95% up to speed compared to men. Women's tennis has always been popular since the 70s, and much of that also was owing to the personalties involved (Every, King, Navratilova).

In golf, with the tees forward, women shoot close to men's scores. The approach shots and for putting men have no phyical advantage. Men have them on drives though.

I'm afraid it would be as Tess puts it. We can already watch AHL, college, under 20, etc, and we see it's exciting but just not the NHL. Tennis I could watch men's and women's the same. Not hockey I think.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | August 27, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

in my everso humble opinion, i thought it was overrated for the hype it got. I also didn't think the punches connected with as much frequency or ferocity as the perception was. i've just seen better fights than that. Off the top of my head I can probably recall 15 hockey fights better than that I've seen. If I had time to think harder I could come up with another 10 or 15.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 27, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Too late to save him cstanton1. Underpants2 and cstanton1 are co-captains for the WNHL Capitals Red Rockers. Bazinga.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 27, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Bad idea, the only women's sports I watch are Foxy Boxing, or Jell-O Wrestling.

What's next, a professional hockey league for dogs? Have we officially run out of things to talk about?

Posted by: underpants2 | August 27, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

The WNBA survives because it has some minor stars from the college game because women's college basketball still gets talked about on ESPN and the real big names are still somewhat known. Women's college teams also draw fans to the games and have a small following.

Women's hockey in the NCAA has no known players because the media in the US couldn't care less about college hockey. I went to a school with NCAA hockey teams. Even with one of the best goalies in the country, she made the last Olympic team, there were still less then 200 people at each game. That is with students getting in for free and the rink only being 5 minutes from campus. We were also in a city that had sold out every NHL game that season. Men's games on the other hand had around 800 people a game and none of our men's players are going to make the NHL or Olympic team like our women's team goalie. Women's hockey just does not have the following that even women's college basketball has.

There is already a professional women's league. It is called the Canadian Women’s Hockey League. The league gets most of their money from donations and they can't pay their players because they can't afford to. It is a little six leauge team that has only been around since 2007 and no one even knows the league exhists.

If I thought this league would work I would go for it but I just don't see it lasting for more then a year or two. A fair number of NHL teams are already losing money I can't see them agreeing to help pay for a women's league as well.

Posted by: icehammer97 | August 27, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------

1st order of bizness is to go find the female version of the Hanson brothers to generate some real interest. And I bet if I scour enough roller derby events I could probably find that.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 27, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------

maybe thats enough to get some more young girls interested in playing youth hockey in the US. Then maybe 6 or 7 yrs down the road you give the league another try. It doesn't have to succeed fully in its first go.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 27, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Tuning back in to ask: since when does hockey have to be super fast? The game has definitely evolved from a larger, wider more meandering pace to a tighter, quicker pace but there's more to it than speed, even now.

I love watching/playing hockey at any speed. I've taught little ones - and my husband - to play and they're not NHL, AHL or women's game fast but it is still great to watch everyone have fun and play. The absence of most things physical in the women's game (and, have to admit it, sometimes Caps hockey games) just brings it way down. To me, hockey doesn't have to be fast but it surely is and needs to be a physical game (and I don't mean fighting). A person can hit/check and have fun!!

cstanton1 - two things: 1. you can't have everything and 2. you made me snort laugh at work - thanks! :)

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: nena1 | August 27, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

what a surprising headline- can't believe the numbers are there for a fanbase.

Posted by: Hattrik | August 27, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

You know it's funny when I posted that link I remember on 1 of the hockey trips my buddies and I took Peat got into a pretty good scrap in NJ and I couldn't remember who it was against. I found it. Our seats were directly above where this fight took place. Pretty decent fight.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | August 27, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

i just posted about 8 links and a dozen references to fights that were as good if not better than Peat/Stock. But it keeps getting blocked. Grr

yeah rob skrlac from the last clip was tough to fight against because at the time he was one of the biggest AHLers out there. He was 6ft5 with a long reach. Actually played briefly for the Caps minor league team when Peat was recalled to the Caps.

I thought Peat did a good job in this one. Belak was a pretty tough opponent at the time. You see on the replay that Witt goes in to finish a check outside the blueline on Belak (something you never see current Caps dmen ever even attempt) and eats an elbow.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 27, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

------------------

nena, i'd agree with that to an extent but in order to really be physical, you need a bit of speed as well. Otherwise you're just mugging other players.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 27, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

another one of my favorite Peat knockouts from his days as a Pirate. This time its young Rangers tough guy Richard Scott

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 27, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I think Flash THINKS he is this teams 2C!!!

...aren't ya just...scared?

OH WELL, HOPE THIS STUFF WORKS OUT!!!

THIS IS STILL THE WORST, MOST PAINFULLEST'EST OFFSEASON I CAN REMEMBER!!!

GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | August 27, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Please, women always say they will support it but then never do. I wouldn't watch it because of the level in which it will be played. I am spoiled by the NHL... besides the NHL is still trying to grow its game. This is silly. I wouldn't pay to watch womens hockey, I am sorry. Its not because they are women its because the can compete with the level in which the NHL plays at... it would bore me. I am just one person though so hey more power to them.

Posted by: d99gr81 | August 27, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I think the only way for a Pro Women's Hockey League to work is to do it like the Lingerie Football League.

I'm going to get banned, aren't I? :(

Posted by: j3rockstar | August 27, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

------------------

-------------------
cstanton - Ha-ha, say no to on-ice mugging! (I have actually seen something that resembles that!) To clarify, I meant it doesn't need to be NHL-fast. That's what the comparison was from others. I think the game can be played a tad slower than that and still be exciting and effective.

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: nena1 | August 27, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

"NHL discussing possibility of women's hockey league"

...why....

Posted by: arioch666 | August 27, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

If there are those who are called "Puck Bunnies" for the men's sport, what would we call the men who do the same in the woman's league? Just asking...

Posted by: Hunter21 | August 27, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Maybe could play on the ice between periods, after the mites of course.

Posted by: gringo184 | August 27, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

ok so everyone is talking about the WNBA not being successful and that a woman's league will not be either but that is because no one likes basketball. In the olympics the woman's hockey was one of the most watched events. WNHL will do great!

Posted by: slapshot5539 | August 28, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Women's hockey is an enjoyable draw at the olympics, but there is no way it could survive as a league. Look how difficult it is for many NHL teams to stay alive. How about women's soccer? Remember how awesome it was to see the Rose Bowl filled when they beat China years back? Now, watch a Freedom game and notice the sparse crowd. Soccer is played by millions of young girls across America and has produced many talented young woman. In many ways, I enjoy their game more than the men's. It just doesn't attract much of a market. Hockey would be even harder to sell because there really isn't enough talent to spread among a league. The US and Canada produced teams for the Olympics, but the rest of the world? Do you really think there are that many exciting, skilled women to field a professional league?

Posted by: gonchpup | August 28, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Olympic Womens hockey is the pinicle of the sport and that will be the talent level if womens hockey gets their league. I just don't see that sort of product being able to support themselves for any indefinite period after the novalty wears off. Like most of you have already said, soccer, baseball, and basketball are world sports yet the WNBA is the only womens league that barely keeps an audience. Womens pro hockey if started, will not last. It is a bad idea on all fronts. Just my duex cents.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | August 29, 2010 3:03 AM | Report abuse

Why would I pay to watch a women do something slower, with less skill, with less power, with less speed then a man unless I had a routing interest in a particular player (ie my daughter, wife, friend, etc.) The reason the WNBA is an unprofitable, unwatchable, could care less product is no one wants to watch a women take three more seconds to run the floor to make a layup when a man can do it in three less seconds and dunk it. America cares about people that can do things better than anyone else, no matter the race, sex, or creed. It is why female poker players get some play, they can do it just as well as the men. It is as simple as that.

Posted by: stork95 | August 29, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

"NHL discussing possibility of women's hockey league"

...why....

Posted by: arioch666 | August 27, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

To piss you off.

Posted by: slapshot5539 | August 28, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Ratings and sponsorships have been growing steadily for the WNBA. Doesn't sound like a league that is "not being successful."

Posted by: stork95 | August 29, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who says the WNBA is an inferior product really hasn't watched a game. Are they as strong as their male counterparts? Of course not. But, they're more fundamentally sound, they hustle, they play more as a team and are TONS more fan friendly than their male counterparts.

Posted by: stwasm | August 29, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

From an idealogical point of view I like the idea and think it would help grow hockey in America at the grass roots level. Unfortunately, I have reservations concerning the financial aspects of a women's pro hockey league.

I would probably follow women's pro hockey depending on the location of the closest team. Attending games would again depend on location.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | August 30, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

From an idealogical point of view I like the idea and think it would help grow hockey in America at the grass roots level. From a financial point of view I have reservations.

I would probably follow women's pro hockey depending on where the closest team was.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | August 30, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

stwasm,

I have watched hundreds of female basketball games, mostly at the college level. I was engaged to the NJ women's basketball player of the year. Women's basketball is an inferior product on every level. That is not a slight to the fairer sex, simply a fact based in every considerable measurable. The NBA props up the WNBA to fulfill obligations and avoid the ire of the women's liberation movement. Women want equal except when they want business men to shell out millions of dollars to maintain a business that constantly losses money. If the WNBA could survive on it's own, it wouldn't be a product of the NBA. A women's hockey league would be a failed business, which should matter.

Posted by: stork95 | August 30, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Some of you hockey fans need to start looking at this issue objectively. There is no way a women's league could survive. If NHL teams struggle to stay afloat, how could you expect different from a "WNHL". I love the sport, watch and support the women in the olympics and keep an eye on things at the college level. I respect them and enjoy their game as others do, BUT there is just not enough talent to field more than a few teams at a high enough level to merit a league. Look at men's lacrosse- Hopkins, Syracuse, UVA, Duke, Md., etc... plenty of extremely talented programs in the college ranks but look at what they can manage at a pro level. Even soccer, which has millions of kids playing across the country, has a difficult time fielding a women's pro league. I would like to see all of these women's leagues find success, but I just don't think it will happen.

Posted by: gonchpup | August 30, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty simple. Men won't watch a women's pro league (in any sport, unless it was gimmicky and features hot girls in skimpy outfits) and most women aren't interested in sports, period. Only a small % of women watch pro sports (men's). So where is the fan base going to materialize from?

Posted by: ranndino | September 5, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse