Posted at 5:20 PM ET, 02/22/2011

Report: Capitals and Rangers closer to playing in Russia in 2011-12 opener

By Katie Carrera

The New York Times reports that the NHL and KHL are close to ironing out details to bring the 2011 NHL Premiere to Russia, with a pair of games between the Capitals and New York Rangers. You can check out the full story here:

Both sets of talks were about staging two season-opening games between the Rangers and the Capitals in Russia in early October.
Kochevrin said Tuesday that "logistics and details" still needed to be worked out with the N.H.L., and on Saturday Medvedev said that "time is running" but added that he hoped a solution would "be fixed before the end of this month."
Medvedev said, "It's quite clear that to promote the N.H.L. in Europe, Russia is the best place."
The proposed season openers involving the Rangers would be played in St. Petersburg and/or Moscow, said Medvedev, who is also the owner of the K.H.L. club SKA St. Petersburg and the deputy chairman of the Russian energy company Gazprom.

Washington was one of six teams invited to participate in the 2011 NHL Premiere. While nothing has been finalized yet, it's believed that in addition to possibly playing their first two games of the season in Russia, the Capitals may also play an exhibition game in Sweden, according to a team source.

By Katie Carrera  | February 22, 2011; 5:20 PM ET
Categories:  NHL Premiere
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matt Bradley helps get Capitals on track against Penguins
Next: Bruce Boudreau reiterates confidence in Varlamov, Neuvirth

Comments

awesome- has GMGM made a trade yet?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 22, 2011 5:23 PM | Report abuse

awesome- has GMGM made a trade yet?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
No, he's too busy pontificating.

Posted by: joek443 | February 22, 2011 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Who gives a krap about this??

Get a second line center!!

Posted by: rblatch45 | February 22, 2011 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I hope that's a home game in Russia, since they just sent out the season ticket renewals and jacked up rates (yet again).

Posted by: emb77 | February 22, 2011 5:40 PM | Report abuse

@rblatch45, would you prefer we not post any news from now until Feb. 28 unless it's trade related? Can't say I'd agree with that, but I'm curious.

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | February 22, 2011 6:03 PM | Report abuse

@emb77

I didnt get my renewal stuff yet, how much did they increase the price for upper level mezzanine center?

Posted by: CapsBaby | February 22, 2011 6:08 PM | Report abuse

awesome- has GMGM made a trade yet?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
No, he's too busy pontificating.

Posted by: joek443 | February 22, 2011 5:32 PM

McPhee speaks to those "in the game."

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 22, 2011 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Lindsay, I'd suggest doing exactly that. It'll give this lot something to really cry about.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 22, 2011 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Tom you have a wry wit my boy

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | February 22, 2011 6:24 PM | Report abuse

kitty, glad to see you are still lurking along with the more civil of us.

Posted by: billd2 | February 22, 2011 6:30 PM | Report abuse

News is something like the Swedish reporter found out (i.e. broken thumb), not Caps PR releases (i.e. We're playing in Russia!). I understand this is just hockey, but for those who love the sport it is important to us. How about a reporter catching GMGM in the parking deck and asking some real questions, not just what Vogel puts out. I know he'd probably restrict future access, but it would be fun to watch.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 22, 2011 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Matty P has currently been removed from the team website. Probably an error, but who knows. Let the crazy rumors spread like wild fire. ANd by the time I finish this and you guys check, he'll be back on the roster.

Posted by: ThePat | February 22, 2011 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey - now about trading Semin...

Can we trade him to a KHL team (really)? I mean, what if we could pick up a decent center and a winger? We'd get a lot more value for that. Of course, Semin would have to learn to speak Russian and all, but...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | February 22, 2011 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Could be that's he's being reassigned back to Hershey. There's 23 listed at the site which I believe is the max. If were expecting Fehr and Poti back by Friday it would make sense to move Mattie back to Hershey now.

Posted by: psujohn | February 22, 2011 7:24 PM | Report abuse

@psujohn

With Backstrom hurt and Poti havent even skating I doubt it. But that could be the case. I think it is simply human error but am bored so pointed it out.

Posted by: ThePat | February 22, 2011 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Schultz + 3rd for M.Del Zotto

Semin + Holtby for P.Stastny

MP + 1st for M.Michalek

Posted by: Walle | February 22, 2011 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Stastny has 6.6mil cap hit for the next 4 years, can the caps really afford that? Yes Semin has a 6.7 cap hit but its only for 1 more year. More flexable.. Dont think Stastny will be a capitals

Posted by: CapsBaby | February 22, 2011 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Michalek has a 4.3 mil cap hit, we will need to shed some money for any of the transactions you are suggestiong otherwise we will be like the Blackhawks and will have to get rid a bunch of players... Michalek is not worth MP and a 1st. 14 goal 12 assist and a -12, I would pass on Michalek and his 4.3 mill salary

Posted by: CapsBaby | February 22, 2011 7:37 PM | Report abuse

@Lindsay. Yes no posts til a trade is made

In honor of most nitwits that post here. DJ KING for Steven Stamkos

Posted by: bricucci | February 22, 2011 7:44 PM | Report abuse

how'd that work out?

and i don't see how the caps can trade Semin. A guy who can be alternately brilliant and terrible doesn't interest many teams. Not to mention his contract status and other issues. A team would have to be downright desperate to take on Semin. Same way the Flyers were when they took on Oates. They had been racked with injuries at the center position.

As much as i'd love to see Semin gone, I don't see it happening. For one, I can't believe the Caps are even shopping him. Its so unlike McPhee to look into trading a goal scorer in a year in which we're struggling to score goals.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 22, 2011 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Michalek's numbers are down this year because he's playing on the worst team in the league. Giv him a playmaking center and he'll do just fine as he was in SJ.

Salary-wise is manageable, with our prospects coming in and taking over eventually

FORWARDS
Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Eric Fehr ($2.200m)
Some One ($3.000m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / Milan Michalek ($4.333m)
Jay Beagle ($0.512m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Brooks Laich ($2.750m)
Matt Bradley ($1.000m) / Brian Boyle? ($0.850m) / Matt Hendricks ($0.650m)
Andrew Gordon ($0.500m) / Cody Eakin ($0.660m)

DEFENSEMEN
Scott Hannan ($3.500m) / Mike Green ($5.250m)
Karl Alzner ($1.600m) / John Carlson ($0.845m)
John Erskine ($1.500m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
/ Dimitri Orlov ($0.845m)

GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m) /Semyon Varlamov ($1.800m)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,774,016; BONUSES: $80,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,625,984

Carlson is the only one who should be expecting a big raise anytime soon (maybe Varlamov depending on how he does in the PO)

Posted by: Walle | February 22, 2011 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Matty P has currently been removed from the team website
----------

wow. You are on top of it mister!

let me know when Boudreau or McPhee gets removed from that website.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 22, 2011 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kittypawz |

mother hens. gotta love em.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 22, 2011 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat | February 22, 2011 7:13 PM | Report abuse

He's not listed on Bears page either

Posted by: bqts | February 22, 2011 8:03 PM | Report abuse

@bqts

Yeah he wouldnt get sent down. If they were going to do it to save money against the salary cap, they would have done it yesterday.

My guess is its human error and if in fact it is a trade its not announced until tomorrow.

Posted by: ThePat | February 22, 2011 8:10 PM | Report abuse

and by yesterday I mean like right after the game or this morning.

Posted by: ThePat | February 22, 2011 8:11 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Are you hearing anything from your sources?

Posted by: RITdude | February 22, 2011 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Given that Ted just jacked up prices on season ticket holders, we had better see some kind of trade that helps into the playoffs.

My tickets had a nice 13% increase. Bullshit.

Posted by: wahoo_Mike | February 22, 2011 8:14 PM | Report abuse

@RITdude

Nope. Last week I was told to expect something mid-week, but you never know if things will go the way they plan it. McPhee and staff have been locked away since Saturday. My guess is they brought in Boudreau today and told him their plan. And now I sit and wait like the rest of you.

Posted by: ThePat | February 22, 2011 8:18 PM | Report abuse

If Pokerface pops in he can speak to if hes hearing anything different.

Posted by: ThePat | February 22, 2011 8:20 PM | Report abuse

You'd think the last thing they would worry about is rushing to delete him from the website if something was going down. Well at least it gives us some sliver of a chance something is really happening. I can hear GMGM at Kettler now: "I demand complete silence from everyone, no leaks or your fired. By the way, remove MP from the website pronto!".

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 22, 2011 8:23 PM | Report abuse

@ wahoo_Mike

Hey don't forget its not only a 13% increase in the cost but if you read the above we are going to lose games too. If they play 2 games, that 1 home and 1 away game and you can be sure we are going to lose some of the preseason games too.

Now if thats not bad enough has anyone even considered the bombing of the Moscow airport recently. Has the NHL lost their minds? They want to send their teams and have loyal fans follow them to Russia after this.

So in brief Gray Bateman is willing not only to put 2 teams and their staff at risk but also fans all in the effort to grow the game.

Outstanding !!!!!! And great job Ted, lets take games away from our fand and charge them even more. WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bqts | February 22, 2011 8:23 PM | Report abuse

patience isn't just a virtue. Its the bane of every Caps fan's existence.

Too bad they don't have some kind of scorecard that shows how many times McPhee goes upto the plate and misses. Is he at the Mendoza line? I'm guessin he's probably batting about .067

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 22, 2011 8:23 PM | Report abuse

@kcbrichmond

I agree. Its probably all human error. It happened with Flash when rumors were swirling. Nothing happened then but it did a couple months later.

Just something to talk about.

Posted by: ThePat | February 22, 2011 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I just checked the Caps website and MP is still listed....

Posted by: ksr17 | February 22, 2011 8:37 PM | Report abuse

@ksr17

He's still not there when I go there. You clicking on team then roster?

Posted by: ThePat | February 22, 2011 8:40 PM | Report abuse

In honor of most nitwits that post here. DJ KING for Steven Stamkos

Posted by: bricucci | February 22, 2011 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Did the spaghetti go to your head, bricucci? TB would have to throw in Malone as well to make that trade happen. As I'm sure you know, as Ovi/Backstrom go so goes our offense. Here's some good DJK jam for you to swallow:

Games w/DJK:

Ovi 14gp 10g 9a 1.35ppg "star" player 6 times

Backstrom 14gp 5g 11a 1.14ppg "star" player 4 times

Games without DJK:

Ovi 47gp 14g 29a .91ppg "star" player 5 times

Backstrom 47gp 10g 27a .78ppg "star" player 5 times

As a team, when DJK plays we fight more, score more, give up less goals, and have a higher winning percentage:

With DJK: 8-3-3 (19 of 28pts= .678%) 40gf (2.85/gm) 34ga (2.42/gm)

Without DJK: 24-16-7 (55 of 94pts= .585%) 125gf (2.65/gm) 119ga (2.53)

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 22, 2011 8:41 PM | Report abuse

@ vermontcaps

Pretty good stuff.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 22, 2011 8:45 PM | Report abuse

@ the Pat

Yes, I went to the site, clicked on Team, then The Caps,then Roster and Stats, and under forwards #85 Mathieu Perreault.

Posted by: ksr17 | February 22, 2011 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Matty P is listed again ??????????

Posted by: bqts | February 22, 2011 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I would sooo fly to Russia to do this. My only issue is getting the visa for my wife. She can only apply at the Swiss Embassy in Tbilisi. This would likely be a Moscow game. Epic Singapore, Tbilisi, Moscow hockey road trip anybody?

Posted by: trunkenmath | February 22, 2011 8:52 PM | Report abuse

@ksr

Yeah he's back now. Weird that you had him back 10 minutes before he came back up on my end, haha.

Posted by: ThePat | February 22, 2011 8:53 PM | Report abuse

no moves are required
just put djk in the lineup every night and the team is complete

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 22, 2011 8:54 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Thanks for that update. I think Kovalev will be one of the deals that will take placed this week. But I rather have them try to deal for Weiss. We will shall see...

Posted by: RITdude | February 22, 2011 8:55 PM | Report abuse

He's there is you click "Team", then "The caps"

he's NOT there is you click "Team", hover over "The Caps" and then click "Roster and Personal Stats"

It's just a website glitch...

carry on, the sky isn't falling people!

Frank out!

Posted by: FrankM73 | February 22, 2011 8:55 PM | Report abuse

He's still not back up on mine. I guess in a few minutes. GMGM called in from home to the web guy and said: "Dammit get MP back on the website or your fired! Just for that you have to bring the donuts tomorrow and iron my scarf you idiot".

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 22, 2011 8:58 PM | Report abuse

@ FrankM73

TOO FUNNY !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bqts | February 22, 2011 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | February 22, 2011 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I have to say I really like Lindsay. Her comments, with a small hint of sarcasm, are direct and usually spot on. And with enough of a bite to make me laugh but not too much to make it unprofessional. Two thumbs up for Lindsay :-)

Posted by: AADCDERM | February 22, 2011 9:04 PM | Report abuse

To get MattyP to come up on the roster, I have to click on Team / The Caps / Players and stats 4 times - first 3 times he doesn't show up. Click the 5th time and he's magically gone again lol.

MP's the only player I can get to disappear and reappear simply by clicking my mouse.....maybe the guy in charge of the Caps website knows something after all ;)

Posted by: RedRedRed | February 22, 2011 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Eklund kind of hinted that the Caps may be talking with MIN about Semin.

For what it's worth.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 22, 2011 9:23 PM | Report abuse

yeah, I really could give a rats ass where the Caps pre-season games take place. They could play in Madagascar for all I care.

Posted by: Doom_and_Gloom | February 22, 2011 9:31 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about an update on stuff that actually matters such as the status of Backs' thumb??

Why is everyone reporting that he's day to day when this newspaper has to rely on some Swedish newspaper??

Isn't that kinda like getting your local weather from a Chinese channel?

Posted by: joek443 | February 22, 2011 9:44 PM | Report abuse

@doom and gloomm

I'm with ya'. I want playoff hockey here for a month. Ovi should worry about that, and some Rags game in the frozen tundra.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 22, 2011 9:46 PM | Report abuse

@Doom
I think these are actually regular season games in Russia.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 22, 2011 9:47 PM | Report abuse

@joek

Really, let's here about Green and Backy and not some Siberia Heritage classic.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | February 22, 2011 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe all of you are talking about trading semin!

He is a YOUNG 40 goal scorer...and he has been injured for I believe 12 games...if we trade him, he will be a 1st line player on another team. He would be our number 1 in goals if he didn't get injured, doubt any of you would say trade him.

I would say trade him but I don't think we will get Sven close to fair value for him (kessel come to mind)---we won't get that.

What is the point of getting a 2nd line center? To have the one, two punch like we had with federov and someone who can feed SEMIN the puck. (I can't believe you would put stasny in the same category as semin) sorry about the spelling.

I don't think it's the best trade market this deadline since I don't think anyone who I see on rumors is a game changer or who put us over the top(other then semin).

I know we need a change but I don't think trading a 40 goal scorer is the answer. Our farm team is deep on talent, let's give up a draft pick for Kovelev to start and keep our core.

Does anyone want to give up Carlson or alzner in a trade? I don't and I Also think thats what other teams are demanding for weis

By the way, this is all just an opinion!! Does anyone have any trade rumors?

Posted by: Wagnerchristopher | February 22, 2011 9:54 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen Mike Gartner who was a better and more important player for this franchise than Semin will ever be traded and you know what? They got what they NEEDED in return.

It's absolutely MORONIC to say that you can't trade this guy or that guy. It all depends on who you can get in return.

Posted by: joek443 | February 22, 2011 9:59 PM | Report abuse

My sources say GMGM and BB being offered for a 3rd round conditional pick.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 22, 2011 9:59 PM | Report abuse

@Ms. Applebaum :
"would you prefer we not post any news from now until Feb. 28 unless it's trade related? Can't say I'd agree with that, but I'm curious.
Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | February 22, 2011 6:03 PM | Report abuse"

What I would prefer is that this site actually conduct itself like the Blog it is/was suppose to be and not like a public relations extension of Caps management passing on Caps press releases. It appears that 99% of the blog postings that are posted here are done from an office chair. This medium, to my knowledge, is not to be a "column" - that is what your print edition is for.
If it were being run like a blog which it was intended to be, then far more difficult questions would be being asked of Caps personnel and management. And the answers posted here promptly - not after the information is re-twitted from someone else's hard work.
My intention is not to shoot the messenger, but to point out what the perception of many is. Do with it what you wish. I know you were associated with this blog when it was run by Tarik and you did a fine job with it then. I can only assume there are other influences determining what is disseminated here now.
To answer your question directly, I would state that no news is better than fluff.

Cordially,
RBlatch

Posted by: rblatch45 | February 22, 2011 9:59 PM | Report abuse

By the way, kessel sucks and he got 2 first rounders plus more at the least for him, ---that is what I meant by "kessel comes to mind"...so please dont get confused by me trying to type on my phone

Posted by: Wagnerchristopher | February 22, 2011 10:01 PM | Report abuse

@RBlatch
You the man (or woman)!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 22, 2011 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I agree it depends on what you get in return but that's my exact point, I don't think we will get anything even close to Semins caliber...I hope I'm wrong tho if we do trade him

Posted by: Wagnerchristopher | February 22, 2011 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Erik Johnson just scored for the Avs...3-2 Avs with about 5 mins remaining

Posted by: RITdude | February 22, 2011 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Stastny just made it 4-2, he would make a nice addition to the Caps...oops Blues just make it 4-3 with 2 mins left. Good game here..

Posted by: RITdude | February 22, 2011 10:22 PM | Report abuse

no one in this town has the rocks to take it to McPhee.

Thats why its upto the fans to put forth any resistance to the propaganda machine that is our GM. Fight the good fight! Resist imperialism! Trade Semin! Retire Poti! Take the leash off DJK! Let Tom have his way with Palin! I'm out of peanut butta!

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 22, 2011 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Well, Ms. Carrera, *I* for one thought it was interesting. Way cool to be playing a couple games in Russia.

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | February 22, 2011 10:27 PM | Report abuse

---------------------

you don't think we can get back a one dimensional player who only brings it when he feels like it?

Look at his "effort" v Pittsburgh, you can't take that chance and pencil him into every playoff lineup. Too risky. He's awake or asleep with no advance warning.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 22, 2011 10:31 PM | Report abuse

By the way, kessel sucks and he got 2 first rounders
-----------

not the first time the Leafs have coughed up a high pick for a question mark of a player. They gave up their 1st rounder for an awful awful dman named Tom Kurvers once. And the Devils ended up using that pick to select a young dman by the name of Scott Niedermayer.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 22, 2011 10:41 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------------------

In basketball whenever you trade a superstar such as Kareem, Wilt, Barkley or Carmelo, you NEVER win those trades or get anything close to equal value in return.

But in hockey I don't think that's the case. If you can get two or three good/solid players for a guy like Semin, it can certainly make the team better.

Posted by: joek443 | February 22, 2011 10:44 PM | Report abuse

joek443

We can also get 2 or 3 nice pieces back for Backstrom, but I don't think you'd want to make that trade.

GMGM has stated the Caps are in the Cup window. I take that to mean that he has been steadily building a winner. Of course that's not the case, but taking him at his word, the major players should be in place as well as the system. At this late date, GMGM should be making minor tweaks like Chimera and a pick for a gritty, veteran winger not completely redoing the 2nd line. That is a rebuild.

Posted by: ablake70 | February 22, 2011 10:56 PM | Report abuse

@Wagner

Don't let Cstanton ruin you too please. :) Yes Semin is a great talent and many a GM have contacted GMGM about Semin only to be told no thanks. He is an elite talent yet falls under high critisism here for whatever reason. He's got the sweetest toe drag in the game and has the hardest snapper in the game (stop it). Kolzig said this yrs ago. I remember Olie saying it again even after OV was here. He said he's got the best snapshot in the game. Hey, take it from Olie or somebody here I don't care. LOL! :)

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 22, 2011 11:01 PM | Report abuse

how'd that work out?

*Cstanton*
------------------------------------
I doubt you're referring to me but I was certainly one of them. It was only due to the information I had about Flash (giving him 20-25 games to make it work which it didn't of course). Based on that info I thought between Flash & MJ (who knows maybe MP too) that this position could be
"adequately" represented and if not there's still the deadline. I was very clear then, that I was gonna be patient but come deadline time if that position wasn't filled for the playoffs then GMGM would fall under HUGE amounts of scrutiny from all angles.

I don't think it's a big secret that our #1 need is a 2C b/c that position has been very underwhelming. So GMGM gave some players a shot at it and now needs to follow thru with his original assessment and prepare for the playoffs. He still has 6 days (altho I'm hearing a trade is very very close and will probably be done tomorrow).

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 22, 2011 11:11 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------------------------------

They don't play the same position. Backs is like an all-star SS or a CF in baseball and Semin is like a power-hitting 1st/3rd baseman or a LF/RF.

What's more important??

Other than 8, 19, 74 and perhaps 52, everyone else can be had for the right price as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: joek443 | February 22, 2011 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Joek's right. Once again Semin won't be dealt but players of his caliber could fill 2-3 holes. I just don't think we need to move an asset like Semin to get what we need. Other assets can be moved and make the end result better.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 22, 2011 11:15 PM | Report abuse

joek443

Sorry, Joe. I don't watch baseball.

The only player on this team that is irreplaceable at the moment is Ovechkin. He is the face of the franchise and the engine that keeps this team running. All the others, including 19, 74, and 52 can all be had for the right price.

Posted by: ablake70 | February 22, 2011 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I will amend my previous post to say that if the team is rebuilding, everyone except 8 is on the table. If the Caps are truly making a run at the Cup, then there shouldn't be many pieces of the table.

Posted by: ablake70 | February 22, 2011 11:34 PM | Report abuse

mother hens. gotta love em.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 22, 2011 7:58 PM

Would be a terrible, terrible thing to go to Vons or Albertson's and not have any eggs.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 22, 2011 11:40 PM | Report abuse

There aren't many pieces left. GMGM doesn't want to take on a contract at the 2C position that lasts longer than next season. His thinking is by the 2012-13 season both Eakin and Kuzzy will be here and we will be more than fine at Center throughout the whole lineup. So why give up a ton of assets for something that will last longer than you need it to.

I'm not 100% on board with this thinking but I understand it and hope it works. My point would be OK, then you have another asset you can move to fill another hole at that time. And it can go on & on.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 22, 2011 11:41 PM | Report abuse

pokerface1208

so you don't see caps doing anything at the trade deadline

Posted by: samb99 | February 22, 2011 11:50 PM | Report abuse

@pokerface

Dont you worry, cstanton wont get to me

GMGM does need to do something tho (not semin unless, like I said earlier, is of fair trade value, which I dont ser happening)

My concern is or fear is:

If we are eyeing someone, they are Only willing to trade that player for Carlson or alzner...and I don't want to give either one of them up in fear that we will regret it like Scott Stevens (I know we got 5 first rnders for him but stevens also brought the Cup(s) to NJ while none of our 5 first rnders did not) and I don't think either will live up to Scott Stevens, but you don't know yet who will be the better of the two----and they play two different styles of defense---oh yeah and have good chemistry together since the Bears...but then again, we have to take a chance

I think the same can be said about Nuevy and Varly, who would you give up? Varly, Nuevy, Carlson, Or Arlzer? If one of those was the deal breaker?

In my opinion, I would trade one of the two goalies since only one of them can play during the game.

I think GMGM might be having the same tough decision, but yet again it's time to take a chance, and it's his job to do so, so do it already, I'm sick of checking my phone every 30 seconds hoping for the Caps to make a trade in order to get our swagger back and win a CUP!

Posted by: Wagnerchristopher | February 22, 2011 11:50 PM | Report abuse

@samb99

Oh no quite the opposite! I think GMGM will be fairly active with a pretty decent shot at us making a significant move. I also think a deal could go down tomorrow as I'm hearing a deal is pretty much done. I think our roster for the Ranger game on Friday will be different than what it is today for sure.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 22, 2011 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Eklund kind of hinted that the Caps may be talking with MIN about Semin.

For what it's worth.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 22, 2011 9:23 PM

CLUTTERBUCK! You heard it from me first, last July.

BTW, Semin took a crosscheck midway through the Sabre game. In the corner behind Caps goal. You could see the Sabre lay some medium lumber and then you could see Semin make an awful, pained face, making me think he has a rib injury that won't go away.

Since he took that crosscheck, he has been, for the rest of that game and the Pens game, more invisible than Casper the Friendly Ghost.

Some people, you hit them and they retaliate.

Other people (Matt Cooke), you hit them and their teammates retaliate.

Still others you hit them and, well, you hit them.

cstanton: I can't get into another Sarah thread. Someone early this morning accused us of acting like 12-year-olds last night and I just can't have that hanging over me.

Never mind that 12-year-olds are perhaps the happiest people on Earth. No, I think it's 8-year-olds.

Sarah...you know, on top of everything else, she can SEE Russia from Alaska.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 23, 2011 12:00 AM | Report abuse

@Wagner

I'm hearing and reading nothing about the players you mention. We will keep both Varly & Neuvy this yr and not add to them. Alzner & Carlson are very safe. That's not where you'll see changes. Even when I heard us involved with Gonchar, we still weren't given up 1 of those 2. That could either be a sign that they are fairly "untouchable" or it could mean that Ottawa just doesn't want that in return. Gotta love this time of year!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 23, 2011 12:05 AM | Report abuse

pokerface1208-

Thanks for the update. People on twitter are implying the Caps are getting Zherdev. Please tell me this is not true.

Posted by: ablake70 | February 23, 2011 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Who on the wild do you think we are eyeing if that rumor is true? Can that player(s) put us over the hump to win a cup?

Posted by: Wagnerchristopher | February 23, 2011 12:09 AM | Report abuse

mother hens. gotta love em.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 22, 2011 7:58 PM

blowhard cocks. gotta love em.

Posted by: HappyWeagle | February 23, 2011 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Zero interest in Zherdev. Has a big rep for disappearing in the playoffs. Of course some will say that's right up GMGM's alley, but they're wrong.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 23, 2011 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Matt Cullen?

Posted by: hook99 | February 23, 2011 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Matt Cullen?

Posted by: hook99 | February 23, 2011 12:19 AM | Report abuse

I have heard MINN as well. I have heard something smaller along the lines of John Madden (great playoff rental) and Andrew Brunette (great net presence esp on PP). Brunette of course was drafted by the Caps.

@Tom

Unfortunately Clutterbuck isn't goin anywhere. He's very young and MINN wants to build around him & the other lower 20's players they have. Not a bad plan.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 23, 2011 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Could you get Clutterbuck and Nick Schultz for Semin?

Then move Chimera, Eakin and our Schultz for Umberger?

Send Ottawa #3 pick for Kovalev?

Steckel and Perreault for Konopka?

Ya gotta love Laich-MaJo-Clutterbuck for a true checking line.

King-Konopka-Bradley as a wicked #4 line.

Somehow I'm unbalanced. I have Ovi for LW but Kovalev, Fehr and Knuble, three RW for first two lines.

Didn't Kovalev used to be LW, can't remember. If not, use the third pick for a LW instead of Kovy.

I'm so happy though with #3 and 4 lines and having Umberger that it would work somehow.

Green-Hannan; Alzner-Carlson; Ersk-Nick Schultz; Poti in reserve.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 23, 2011 12:28 AM | Report abuse

I should also say that I did hear Pierre-Marc Brousard's name mentioned. The problem that creates is he's got a $4M cap hit for 2 more years after this one.

IMO PMB is a great C and it would give Eakin & Kuzzy more time to develope. If they are ready sooner then you can move PMB at that time. Or gee just be so stacked at C that Kuzzy could play wing. Just sick! :)

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 23, 2011 12:31 AM | Report abuse

bad news that Caps will start in Russia. That means the month of October will be big fail in wins, most of the team lose badly in first two months after getting back from Europe, players just can't get it together after 12 hours trips. I hope training camp will be in Europe too

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 23, 2011 12:33 AM | Report abuse

pokerface: The problem with McPhee is he didn't listen to me last summer and get Clutterbuck when he was relatively cheaper. Now, to be honest, you could offer them Semin for Clutterbuck straight up and they might say no. Last summer I said to offer them Flash. Might have worked.

McPhee didn't pay me no mind, though. He was at the haberdashery ordering his year's supply of scarves.

Semin, Eakin, Poti, BGordon, Aucoin, Collins, Steckel, Chimera, Perreault and a contract extension mistake by McPhee to be named later for Clutterbuck, Nick Schultz and Konopka (MIN has to go and get him).

OK, if they insist, they can have all our 5th round picks the next five years, or ten years, McPhee has never drafted anyone on the 5th Rd I think who played one minute for the Caps.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 23, 2011 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Oh, I forgot, MIN also gets our Bouchard and Sloan. And then we move our Schultz and a #1 for a center. Throw in a few dozen 6th round picks, they only ever produced Perreault, and we see how that worked.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 23, 2011 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Oh geez! Because there are soooo many that play in the NHL right? C'mon man. Gosh I liked you so much better before you went to the dark side. :)

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 23, 2011 1:05 AM | Report abuse

This team needs major acquisitions. Tweaks won't cut it.

Eklund says we are considering Burns for Semin. Throw in our Schultz got Brunette, there is your revamped PP. Also says we are looking at Andy McDonald. He is a good player who has won a cup.

I think we are in for a pretty major retooling.

Good. I hope Semin never plays for the Caps again.

Posted by: underpants2 | February 23, 2011 8:15 AM | Report abuse

I was one of the people that said that we should be patient.

(cstanton starts to tremble with rage at the site of me on the message board yet again.)

GMGM tried out to young centers to see what we got there. Went with young goalies to see who would grab the chance and run with it. They have rolled the dice and tried different things. It took balls to do that, not to mention changing their system in mid season.

Now, we see that Perreault has something to his game, but not enough to be a #2 center. He's been on display for other teams to watch and scout.

MoJo has shown that he has skills and seems to be putting it together as of late (dam, he's fast!)

So, with the bountiful assets in the system, we go get a 2C and another scoring wing. Say what you want about GMGM...

But he has only overpaid at the deadline once (last year for Corvo) and I doubt he will over pay again.

I know, I know, I am all rainbows and unicorns with my positive outlook, but theres 6 weeks left in the season. The Caps are one nice win streak and consistent play away from winning the division and securing the 2 or 3 seed in the playoffs.

Save your negative crap for when they choke in the playoffs...(and hope that won't be necessary)

Posted by: jmurray019 | February 23, 2011 8:26 AM | Report abuse

I am primed and ready for a day of rumor postings followed by a new article from Katie about a BIG DEAL (not involving my namesake obvi).

I loved catching up this morning and seeing poker's posts. Now I need ThePat to sign on and post that he has heard the same and BOOM...it will almost be lunch time and the day half over.

BTW, wasnt Souray placed on re-entry waivers Sunday or Monday? Was he claimed by anyone?

@tom,
I think you have been getting PGBP (pure goat blood powder) slipped into your morning oatmeal and your dinner red wine. I got a couple extra fence posts here if you'd like to crawl out of that cave, at least until the 28th. At that point you can either hop down to go spelunking with cstanton1 again or if things go the other way, maybe capscoach will bake you a sweet cherry pie with lattice top in the Kool-Aid Cabin.

Finally (at least for this post), does anyone else feel that perhaps underpants' hate towards Semin may stem from him picking Semin in that Caps fantasy draft thing and getting zero points each time, then the following game he scores a hat trick?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 23, 2011 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum

Way to go Lindsay! Excellent response.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | February 23, 2011 9:25 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton:

cs> weren't there some fans this offseason who were like "don't get impatient, we don't need a 2nd line center right now because we have Flash and MP"
me> There may have been, but it seems to me that most people, including myself, knew that Flash wasn't the guy. However, I did want to see MP given the opportunity. And, I stand by that.

cs> how'd that work out?
me> Not well at all.

cs> face it. The whiners have had it right. For a looong time. We got room for a coupla more on this train. so hop on while you can!
me> Thanks, but no thanks. I prefer to continue with agreeing with the whiners when they're right and the kool aide drinkers when they're right. In other words us realists kind of sit in the middle.

cs> and i don't see how the caps can trade Semin...
me> Me either.

cs> Same way the Flyers were when they took on Oates. They had been racked with injuries at the center position.
me> But a large contributing factor as to why the Flyers "overpaid" was because their power play was struggling mightily at the time and Oates was considered by many to be a power play specialist (for lack of a better term). You know someone who could help fix their power play woes.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | February 23, 2011 9:41 AM | Report abuse

My first inclination upon reading much of what is posted here is to wonder if Panama Red is back in town. But in all honesty, no matter how implausible or comical some of the postings here are, I am just glad there is so much interest in the Caps and hockey in general. When I moved here from Detroit in 1963, it was like a fish moving to the Sahara. But now...The saints be praised!
The lads will go farther this year. They are playing playoff hockey now.

Posted by: chopin224 | February 23, 2011 12:24 PM | Report abuse