NHL Reviewing Tortorella Incident

The Caps are on the ice at KCI and everyone is in attendance after last night's pivotal 4-0 win over the Rangers in Game 5 of the quarterfinals. Jeff Schultz, by the way, is among them, skating with his teammates for the first time since Game 1.

In other news, I'm told the NHL is reviewing the John Tortorella water bottle tossing incident from last night. If there's any disciplinary action, it will be announced. So stay tuned on this one.

The lines:
Ovechkin-Fedorov-Kozlov
Fleischmann-Backstrom-Semin
Laich-Steckel-Bradley
Brashear-Gordon-Fehr
Clark-Nylander

'D' pairings:
Morrisonn-Green
Jurcina-Poti
Erskine-Pothier
Schultz

I'll have more after practice.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 25, 2009; 11:48 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin: 'We Never Give Up'
Next: Backstrom: 'Lundqvist Is Just a Human Being'

Comments

Presuming they're chartering up to NYC later today then?

Posted by: Section117 | April 25, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Re-post

FYI:

"--The crowd was out of control last night. Right in front of me, a Rangers fan spilled an entire beer on two female fans who are season ticket holders. I had to help clean up the seats and call for security.

I saw the entire episode with the New York Rangers coach unfold before my eyes. I am sure the NHL will be looking into exactly what happened there as well. I won’t comment at all publicly because I trust the NHL will be doing its own research and will take any action if deemed appropriate.--"

I excerpted the above from Ted's blog (Ted's Take)

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | April 25, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Here's from Rangers Rants blog:

Tomorrow could be an interesting day. Possibly news from the NHL regarding fines/suspensions for John Tortorella, Colton Orr and Aaron Voros after Friday's 4-0 loss to the Capitals in Game 5.

And if the Rangers do have roster spots to fill, who's ready to come up from Hartford (AHL). Do they bring up raw talent in Artem Anisimov or a more experienced minor leaguer such as Greg Moore.

First, regarding the Tortorella/fan confrontation, there is now some dispute as to who threw water/liquid first in the confrontation. The video replays we saw after the game only show Tortorella hurling a water bottle at a fan and the explanation given by Verizon Center workers was he was wet because the water bottle leaked as he threw it, not because he was hit by something thrown by the fans. However, the replays might not have caught everything that happened and I'd like to believe Tortorella didn't snap to that degree.

As for Orr and Voros, they both came in sticks high during that third period scrum and that's something the NHL may be reviewing, too.

Posted by: CodePoetry | April 25, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

even though schultz is "healthy", PLEASE do not put him in!

Posted by: capsfan8 | April 25, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

WaPo:

Please stop that crappy LIVE CHAT! Every time I see it I turn around go somewhere.

Posted by: CodePoetry | April 25, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I doubt he inserts Schultz into the lineup. 3 goals allowed in 4 games stick with what works.

Lol throw it all into the mixer for Torts...he just looked agitated in his press conference after the game like it was his team that was on the ropes. The first 10 minutes tomorrow are going to be insane. Weather the storm, draw a penalty or two, and make them pay on the PP. 2-0 lead tomorrow and Game 7 is a 99% lock.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 25, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Gee. Will Torts get suspended? If so, NY Rangers can go back to their old, boring hockey. Before they hired Torts (and signed up Avery), everyone was complaining that the Rangers had no personality and were too vanilla.

Okay, Caps, play hard tomorrow in NY. I think if you win tomorrow and force Game 7, the Caps will win this series. Maybe the Rangers are getting their Don Denkinger. (This refers to the ump who mad a call vs the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team in Game 6 which contributed to them losing and the fact that they blew a series where they had held a 3 game to 2 edge.)

Yes, I seem to root for teams that have blown 3 game to 1 edges. (1968 Cardinals, 1979 Orioles, and 1985 Cardinals).

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 25, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CodePoetry | April 25, 2009 12:10 PM
-----------------

CodePoetry:
I agree. Granted, I wasn't online at all last night (at the Bears game!) but twice that I did try the chat I found it incredibly annoying and hard to follow. Maybe it's my computer, but the screen kept pausing and then throwing up 6 or 8 comments at once, and too fast to read them all before the next set posted.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 25, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

CodePoetry: Chat should be easy to ignore, though, right? I enjoy it.

Posted by: donknutts | April 25, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

No Schultz, please. Keep him out for the remainder of the playoffs.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | April 25, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Clark might be ready to go this series. I'd recommend -- play him instead of Brash, if he's ready.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 25, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

NO SHULTZ. Take it game by game and we have a good chance at moving on. Torts should never have thrown water at a fan or raised a hockey stick to the glass. Hope the NHL will review the footage and see he necessity of penalizing this unsportsman conduct.

Posted by: capsfan01 | April 25, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Do NOT suspend Tortorella for the series. It will give the Rangers an extra incentive and fire em up.

Posted by: dezlboy1 | April 25, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Finally!!....Brads get to play on a third line with his best friends off the ice Steckel and Laich. This should give him a bit more ice time. This new line up is a great combo of speed, size and grit ..... the chemistry between friends and their combined energy will work! Smart move Gabby.

GO CAPS

Posted by: capper3 | April 25, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Caps on 7.

Bradlee, you deserved the accolades and more.
OV. another highlight goal.
Semin. That one timer is what the PP guys need at the point.
Varlamov. Lets hope you never understand English well enough to listen to coaches.

Posted by: opita1 | April 25, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

of the 3 players skating in practice with the team and not playing, the capitals have 8.258 million in cap dedicated to them. and that's not including theodore. if you want to include him, that leaves the cap hit at 12.758 million. top tier D-man costs how much these days? think bowmeester?

on the other hand, thank the Lord for the rookie contracts. Varly costs 155K for the season and backstrom, who finished 10th in scoring this season costs only 2.4 million against the cap.

and we're paying ben clymer both this season and next season too. don't forget that.

Posted by: hsk8er6 | April 25, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

It would be interesting to know whether anyone threw anything on Torts first. Hard to believe he would respond like he did to comments concerning his wife.

Posted by: Bartolo1 | April 25, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Tortorella is a great coach, and I doubt very much that he started the brawl, there are too many dumb-ass fans which should not be allowed to drink or seat near any sports team, they exist at every arena. Those people are not really fans of anyone, they are just simply MORONS.

Posted by: opita1 | April 25, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, maybe it was the fans' fault but that doesn't give him any right to throw a water bottle at someone. How is throwing a water bottle going to make the situation better? Tort was mad maybe because the game was out of reach, but still, there's no need for a coach to be doing that. That's crazy and uncalled for. Maybe he learned that from Sean Avery. His temper is really bad.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I am very curious about the mood and demeanor of the team at today's practice.

Posted by: Burgh32 | April 25, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

If anyone wants to have a good laugh, go read Fischler's blog over on msg.com. HILARIOUS! Even the Rags fans are ripping on him for his stupidity.

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 25, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Here is my suggestion with Torts..if, if, if, there is another game, the person hit by the water bottle should swear out an arrest warrant monday afternoon. How cool would it be to see him do a perp walk out of VC at about 5 PM.

Posted by: RichC3 | April 25, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Rachel,
I love the Caps as much as you do (I think), but i disagree with you, with those morons (unruly fans) the only thing they understand is the language of morons. It is too bad they had that glass in between, I would have love to have seen the whole team jump over and beat the crap out of them - I remember many years ago when a NY team did just that, it might have been the reason for the glass now in place. Now, probably, their NY relatives will be coming out in force on Sunday to harass the Caps, maybe even throw one or two cups of beer over the glass. Buying a ticket to the game does not give anyone the right to start a brawl.

Posted by: opita1 | April 25, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: opita1 | April 25, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

just as there is no reason for a fan to throw anything onto the ice/bench, there is also no excuse for a coach to throw anthing in the crowd or to brandish a stick. there is security for such things. let wait for a more official report, but from my view, about 10 rows back, nothing was thrown on the bench. lots of heckling, but nothing thrown. however, torts did throw a water bottle back, that much is clear from the video.

torts is a jerk and his team took on his persona last night. lots of late running around from guys like dubinsky. i'm proud the the caps showed restraint, but i would not have minded if erskine or brash took out some payback on the rags.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 25, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm just waiting for more news as to what really did happen. But no matter what the fans are doing you still don't hurl a water bottle at someone. That is the bottom line. And especially when you're a coach. Yeah, Tortorella was probably really angry but how is throwing a water bottle going to solve anything? It only makes it worse. I don't want to really say anything right now until I know what exactly happened. But in my opinion, it was Tortorella's fault the most. You just don't do that.

It probably was both the fans and Tortorella's fault. But probably what happened was the fans were heckling him and he got mad and threw the bottle and it leaked on him? Because the article in the post said nothing was thrown at Tortorella.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Please don't even think about putting Schultz back in.

Posted by: FancyDan | April 25, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Torts should be suspended, multiple games, in addition to any assault charges that could be filed against him. There is a cardinal rule in sports, and that is DO NOT RETALIATE AGAINST THE FANS, the famous incident where Ron Artest went into the stands and hit a fan? Someone was physically threatening his girlfriend, every sport depends on its fans for its life blood, torts should be suspended.

Posted by: doncosmic | April 25, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure those super polite and amazingly nice Rangers fans never heckle coaches.

Tortorella might have benched Avery last night, but Sean's spirit was apparently at the game, inside Tortorella himself.

If Torts doesn't wanna be heckled by fans he should have kept his job as a TSN analyst.

Posted by: ranndino | April 25, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

elsewhere, someone reported that it was some rangers' fans sitting directly behind Torts and the Rangers bench, who were heckling Torts all night, and may have well dumped beer on Torts to, ahem, "express their displeasure."

New Yorkers, gotta love them.

There was a mass exodus of Rangers' fans (not that there were really that many of them to begin with) from the upper levels with about 5 minutes left in the game.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 25, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

One more thing. Torts is sheer class if by class one means the opposite of class.

Aside from freaking it out and throwing crap into the stands he also sent out his goons to get Alex Semin at the end of the game. There were a couple of blatant attempt to injure our best scorer in this series.

I certainly do hope the NHL investigates that as well. I don't remember us sending someone to injure Henrik just because he was the only thing standing in our way to victory in this series.

Posted by: ranndino | April 25, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

It might seem as if I am defending Torts, but I have seen him many times in real bad situations and he seems to keep his cool in control, because of that I give him the benefit of the doubt. I would have to believe that moron did throw something into the players area for Torts to act like that, he has lost too many games in worse manners and he hasn't picked a fight with the fans. It is absurd to think that he will do that.

@DCsportsan
There is no reason to "start" throwing things, but if you do it, then be prepared to receive. You might have not seen what that moron threw because you were most likely paying attention to the game and not the obnoxious fan, so you probably did not become aware of it until after the initial incident, that is understandable, to even suggest that any coach will throw anything above the glass without physical provocation is absurd.

I am placing the blame more on the security force, they should have someone around that area to make sure unruly fans don't go overboard. I have never sat around that area, and maybe they have security already in place, but if that is the case, then they are not doing their job.

Anyway, I think the Caps will win on 7 and I don't want Torts suspended, I want him on the bench when we win the next two games.

Posted by: opita1 | April 25, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

opita1 - I disagree with you on one thing... while I am every bit against the drunken behavior seen at most hockey games, we need to hold employees of the arena, security, players, and coaches, to a higher standard. Many of these fans (not an excuse here) are past a good judgement standard from putting down a few too many. Many innocent fans (kids included) pay the price, dealing with foul language, spilled beer, and aggressive behavior. If we can handle the crap, so can a coach who is protected by plexiglass. I am sure the episode was started by an a-hole fan, but Torts was wrong to cave to the same behavior. He should be held accountable, particularly if he injured a bystander.

Posted by: gonchpup | April 25, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

gonchpup,
I think we are in agreement on the security issue. I have seen to many idiots spoil the game for many fans.
Yes. Torts should have kept control, and I am sure that he did for most of the game, but there is point where a person have to take the problem by the horns if the people responsible for maintaining control can't.

How many more of whatever the guy threw on the bench would the Rangers need to take? I am sure that idiot wouldn't have stopped doing it, and obviously security was either taking a nap or watching the game.

Posted by: opita1 | April 25, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

@DaveUK

I'm watching Man Utd/Tottenham right now. Feels like a crazy Caps comeback. Unreal 2nd half! Ronaldo and Rooney have been transcendent!

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 25, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

ranndino: Yeah, I think the Rangers are a dirty team. Last night what Colton Orr did was uncalled for. Yeah you're losing the game but there's no reason you need to go after people. The NHL has already let it be known that they are taking "late game messages" clearly and are suspending players. Orr should be suspended for taking out Alex S. at the end of the game. Cheap players taking cheap shots. Take out your frustration another way.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

opita, noboday has confirmed that anyone in the stands threw anything on torts. so i would say you should probably not presume some moron threw anything on him. however, there is visual and video evidence that torts did throw something into the stands and did have a stick in his hand. my point is, even if someone did, torts and the players need to be above that. trust me, security was not taking a nap on this one.

and do you really think security can stop someone from throwing something on the bench if the fan wanted to. all they can do is try and anticipate it somehow and minimize the damage after the incident occurred. the guy in the blue jacket did a good job of keeping the glass in place and making sure nothing went back over. and the yellow shirts were out in force.

after that incident, i saw at least three ranger fans get bounced in my section.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 25, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

DaveUS,

Was only able to watch the first half but am aware of the comeback. In Sept 01 we were 3-0 down at half away at Spurs and won that game 5-3. So, really, today was never in doubt!! :)

Seriously though, why is the teams I support feel the need to make life hard for themselves and drive me to drink!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | April 25, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse