Nice Story About Duchesne

Mike Vogel, senior writer for www.washingtoncaps.com, has a nice appreciation piece on former Capitals left wing Gaetan Duchesne, who died suddenly Monday. And to think he was in Washington less than two weeks ago to play in the team's alumni game at KCI. So sad.

Here's the link.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 17, 2007; 12:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Semin Kicked Off Russian Team
Next: Russians Won't Reconsider

Comments

A great piece about a player that hustled every single night. He played on the fourth line when it wasn't an insult to be a 4th liner. It's a shame considering I just saw him play 10 days ago.

Posted by: FS | April 17, 2007 12:07 AM | Report abuse

I hate when stuff like this happens. It really freaks me out. 44s young. condolences.

Posted by: Cody | April 17, 2007 3:01 AM | Report abuse

Truly tragic. Especially for one so young with a young family. I hope the Caps will have a moment of silence at the opener next season for Gaets and Warren Strelow.

Posted by: kenhockey | April 17, 2007 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Truly sad, my thoughts are with his family.

Posted by: LB | April 17, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Truly sad since he was only 44. Scares me because I'm not that far off from that age.

The moment I remember Duchesne most was when he was being interviewed on Channel 9 back in the 80's by the late great Glenn Brenner, and after the first question he spoke for a minute in French before he had his OOPS! revelation. Priceless.

Posted by: El Kabong | April 17, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Growing up watching the Caps, I was upset when they traded Gaets and Alan Halworth for Malarchuk and Hunter. However, after about a year, I warmed up to the two newcomers but still followed Gaets when he was in Quebec and later San Jose. Getting to announce for him at the alumni game less than two weeks ago was the thrill of my life and when he scored on assists from Craig Laughlin and Bobby Gould, I felt like I'd been transported back in time to when I would be playing on my hockey table and announcing the goal. After the game, he was the nicest person to everyone in the lobby, talking with anyone and everyone that wanted to chat. He was also one of the first players there for the game. When I heard the announcement on XM yesterday, I was shocked and called my dad. All of us send our condolences to the Duchesne family and to all of his friends and hockey family who have lost a great man. I've printed out my scoresheet from the game and have it hanging in my office.

Posted by: Jarrod | April 17, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse