Caps to announce Nicklas Backstrom extension today

Pay up, George. (John McDonnell/The Washington Post)

The Capitals are expected to announce today that they have re-signed center Nicklas Backstrom to a long-term extension, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Backstrom, who is coming off a breakout season, was set to become a restricted free agent on July 1.
Details of the contract were not immediately available, but it's believed to be long term with an annual salary upward of $6 million. The 22-year-old Swede earned $2.4 million last season in the final year of an incentive-laden entry-level contract.
The Capitals have called a 10:30 a.m. news conference to "make a significant player-related announcement" at Kettler Capitals Iceplex. Backstrom is expected to attend the news conference, the source said. Full story »

Some morning links coming right up, after the jump.

*Ed Frankovic, FanHouse on the upcoming announcement.

*October 2009 profile: Nicklas Backstrom is the man who makes Alex Ovechkin go.

*Chat it up with columnist Tracee Hamilton at 9:30 a.m.

*On Jason Chimera's season. (Peerless)

*Matt Bradley, too. (Peerless)

*Meet Oscar Hedman. (The Hockey Chronicles)

*Endless awards season? (Rock the Red)

Some teams are still playing

*Philadelphia 6, Montreal 0: Flyers bombard Jaroslav Halak and the Montreal Canadiens in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals. (By Tarik El-Bashir)

*Chicago 2, San Jose 1: Antti Niemi makes 44 saves to lift Blackhawks over Sharks in Game 1. (AP)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  May 17, 2010; 7:43 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Source: Nicklas Backstrom re-signs with Caps (updated)
Next: Eric Belanger: 'I felt my teeth shatter right away'

Comments

Way to go GMGM. Now, about that goalie issue ...

Posted by: r4e11 | May 17, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

what goalie issue, there are no issues with the goalies...

look who got the flyers to the EC finals, it's not about the goalies... it's about the DEFENSE.

Posted by: joek443 | May 17, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Joek443...I agree it is a defensive thing. Not just our D-Men, but a whole defensive effort on the team. Forwards need to have responsibility too.

Posted by: Caps4Life1 | May 17, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

glad to have Nick Backstrom in a Caps jersey for the long term.

Posted by: Jaymagz | May 17, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Backstrom Jerseys are going to fly off the shelves in the D.C. area!

Posted by: capscoach | May 17, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

It's going to be great seeing that #19 on the Phone Booth ice for close to the next decade!

Posted by: j3rockstar | May 17, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully his contract will match Ovie in tenure terms!!

Posted by: PhilR | May 17, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

So I am having a brain fart at the moment and can not remember what our 4th line looked like...I am trying to make my line combos, and from what I see, if we are to keep both Flash and Fehr...one would have to go to the 4th line.

My lines look like this so far...

Ovie, Backs, Knuble
Semin,_______, Laich
Chimera, Belanger, Flash/Fehr
Brads, Steckel/Perrault, Flash/Fehr/Walker

I suppose Chimera could be a 4th liner, but I love his speed and grit. I kept Walker for Grit and size, I chose steckel over Gordon b/c of Gordons back issues, and I think Perrault deserves to come up...This is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Defensive pairings are as follows.

Green, Vlochenkov (a girl can dream)
Carlson, Schultz
Alzner, Poti
Juice in reserve.

Posted by: capscoach | May 17, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach,

Isn't Chimera a UFA? Also, I would swap Belanger and Perrault.....Think Matty P would be a great 3rd line center and Belanger could be that gritty fourth line centerman. I don't see Juice coming back either, but hey who knows?!

Posted by: PhilR | May 17, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Chimera wont be an UFA until 2012-2013.

Did a fist pump on the way to work this morning when I heard about Backs on the radio.

Do some more smart stuff GMGM!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | May 17, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Chimera is signed for the next two years. It's Walker and Belanger that you have to worry about....or not worry about depending on your feelings torwards them. I think Perreault should be given a legitimate chance on this squad. Maybe as the 2nd line center.

Posted by: j3rockstar | May 17, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Great, now move Semin. No way they will resign him, and you don't want to have to move him at the deadline.

Options for second line center will open up if we can move Semin for a good dman.

Posted by: underpants2 | May 17, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I hope MP is given a chance to start as the 3rd line center with Fehr and LW TBA (maybe Chimera).

If he plays well enough throughout the season he could definitely be a possibility as a 2nd line center. That is clearly dependent on how he plays, but that's how it should be.

Flash has to go. Salary cap wise he just doesn't fit in. The Caps need to use that salary to help pay for Volchenkov and a 2nd line center.

I know it isn't a favorite idea but if the Capitals are close to the cap, moving Bradley may need to be considered. Having an AHLer such as A. Gordon or Pinzotto playing instead could free $400K. That isn't tons of money but every bit helps.

On Nylander. I think it would be wise for the team to stash him in the minors for most of the regular season and see if they can get something for him at the trade deadline. A center needy team may give up something for him then since his salary wouldn't be very relevant at that point. Possible 3rd or 4th round draft pick depending on demand. Just a thought.

Posted by: sgm3 | May 17, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for clearing up the Chimera thing for me.....I am worried about resigning Belanger as I really liked what he showed while he was with the Caps but I think he is better suited as the 4th line center and say goodbye to Gordon due to his back issues and keep Steckel as the reserve centerman. Walker?? Not real concerned about signing him....bring up a kid from Hershey if you must......

My dream lines:

Ovie-Backs-Knuble

Semin(if he is still here)-Koivu-Laich

Chimera-Perrault-Fehr

Hershey boy-Belanger-Brads

BYE BYE FLASH!!

Green-Volchenkov

Carlson-Alzner

Poti-Schultz

we will see I guess....

Posted by: PhilR | May 17, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

@PhilR

I would do:

Schultz/Green
Alzner/Carlson
Poti/Volchenkov

I expect Green and Schultz to improve much more. Poti/Volchenkov will be the shutdown pair (Poti is a solid all around D-man and I think Volchenkov needs to be paired with a guy who is always in position.)

Posted by: sgm3 | May 17, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I love Backstrom. He was one of the few who seemed to be putting out the extra effort (remember game two?) in the playoffs.

On another note, was listening to the radio yesterday and heard a comment that several Caps have stated that they're aren't watching the playoffs -- which is understandable to a point. I don't like watching them either now that the Caps are out, but maybe the Caps need to watch what playoff hockey is all about because obviously they need to see how gritty and desperate it gets. I'm sure they "know" it, but they didn't play like a playoff team in the first round and I don't know that their young guns are quite ready to go in and battle as hard as it gets in the third round and the Stanley Cup.

Posted by: capsfan4toolong | May 17, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Best birthday present ever!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | May 17, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse