No discipline for Matt Bradley

Matt Bradley won't face any disciplinary action for leaving the bench prior to fighting Steve Downie last night, I'm told by a league spokesman.

In the third period of last night's 7-4 loss in Tampa, Bradley came to Alex Ovechkin's aid after the Capitals' captain squared off to fight Downie. The on-ice officials informed the Capitals' bench that Bradley had been given a penalty for "coming off the bench to start an altercation," which is a suspendable offense.

That penalty, however, was rescinded last night after a review by the officiating supervisor at the game. The review determined that Bradley had, in fact, left the bench on a legal line change and that a miscommunication between the upstairs officials and ice-level officials lead to referees' original call and the subsequent announcement over the public address system at St. Pete Times Forum.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 13, 2010; 11:21 AM ET
 | Tags: Matt Bradley, Tampa Bay Lightning
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning roundup: Caps let Bolts slip away
Next: Boudreau on Bradley, Erskine and no excuses

Comments

Looked to me like he left a bit early. I have no doubt that the NHL gave him a bit of leeway here given the circumstances.

Posted by: kjm1971 | January 13, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Bravo to Bradley for stepping in to fight instead of Ovi. There are better uses of Ovi than fighting, although I have no doubt that Ovi can stand up for himself.

Thoughts on game. Unfortunately, I was there.

1) Bad bad first period. Seemed that the defense too the night off.

2) Way too many penalties taken by the Caps.

3) When they tied it up, I thought they might have had a chance but alas it was not to be.

4) Why was Tamps gooning it up when they already had the game basically won?

5) If Semin had had the type of game Laich had last night, the anti-Semin lobby would be calling for him to be healthy scratched in favor of Laing.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 13, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

he didnt leave too early. was he in a hurry, heck yeah. i would assume coach told him to get on his horse and do his job, which he did well.

go to youtube and watch the video, the tb announcers were up in arms about Bradley stepping in. i have relatives in the tampa/st pete area, and everytime i am down there it amazes me as to how backwards and rednecky it still is. yeah, clearwater, on the water is nice, but redneck. if the tb fans dont understand the roles of different players on the ice it wouldnt surprise me. you think they are going to let avery beat up vinny or martin? doubtful.

big props for steckel to stand up to the nhl's top goon this year. it was stecks 3rd fight, and it didnt go real well, but we need more guys to be willing to go. the one thing this team lacks is fighters. when the playoffs come you cant rely on your PP to get you through the rough games.

Posted by: daddy_axe | January 13, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Man am I glad we have another game tonight. Just take last night's tape and burn it; move on.

also, Note for the Post's web gurus, the link to Joe B's blog on these pages is wrong, needs updating.

Posted by: LouLewis | January 13, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Nice of them to get it right now that the game is in the books.

Posted by: CapsChick | January 13, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I will be glad when Varly's back. He's certainly missed. Is it still "two weeks" until he's back? Will he be back before the Olympics?

Next question: who starts in goal tonight?

Will Holtby be the next Hershey callup?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 13, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tess2201 | January 13, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I think the game says a lot about this team.

First of all, they were junk in the first period and killers in the second. The amount of effort, energy, and focus it takes to come back from three down must be monumental...against any team. I think that once they were back to 4-4 they had to give it a break in order to rest and regroup for the third and that cost them the fifth TB goal and it was downhill from there.

Downie slashed Ovi and it was missed, as happens, and it seemed Alex was just tired of the b.s. and went to flatten Downie. He didn't skate through him, in fact he didn't even stride from the red line, and he led with his shoulder. No big deal...at all. What is indicative of the game - more than Ovi getting irate, Brads stepping in, and Stecks fighting - was the Backs lost his mind, or as much as he can. Nicky is may be the most level-headed player I watch all year - nothing bothers him - but he was pissed by the the 3rd period. Mabye it was a combo of crappy ice, the TB goons, and other stuff, but if he gets angry enough to willingly cross-check a guy and break his stick over his back and then board another TB players (don't know if if was the same one), then, to me, TB was being the jackholes that Tocchet is. I think that says it all.

I find the Brads move and Steckel effort to bode well for this team. It was a crappy lose but I suspected they'd lose at least on in Florida. I think we learned more good things about this team than bad.

Get 'em tonight.

Posted by: saintex | January 13, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

League spokesman "Brads even though you jumped of the bench slightly early, thank you for fighting that goon and preventing one of our best stars from breaking his hand and causing a national uproar about fighting in hockey. If a large check suddenly appears in your bank account do not question where it came from."

Posted by: caps512 | January 13, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Ahh, perhaps there is some small justice in this world:

Fox Sports Pittsburgh suspends producer for Flyers replay gaffe

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | January 13, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@cainoo7x

He was also responsible for at least two Bolts goals. If not for the 1st period routing the game could have looked a lot different. For instance Neuvy would not have been chased (he was playing his a$$ off) and the players would not have had to open up the game risking turn overs, players caught up ice, out of position, etc.

Not saying trade Green, but he sucked last night on D.

Posted by: FLDave | January 13, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I stand by my opinion that, while agreeing that nobody played well last night, singling out Mike Green is ridiculus.

As far as the first period goals for Tampa, the first was off the foolish cross ice pass by Knuble, the second and third were power play goals, and the fourth one Neuvy should have had and he muffed it (not to take anything away from Neuvy because he made some sensational glove saves but I'm sure he'd be the first to say he should have had that last one). Not sure which if any of those Green was soley responsible for.

Posted by: cainoo7x | January 13, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I would have loved to see Ovie in his first fight. I know its better he didnt get into one, but I have to admit I would have loved to see him kick Downie's a**, leaving no doubt that he is the best player in the NHL.

Brads, you are the man. You did the right thing.

Posted by: jmurray019 | January 13, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

@cainoo7x

Sloan was responsible for one of the PP goals. He was screening Neuvy at the top of the crease..just standing there. Would have been a routine save for Neuvy had he been able to see the puck...methinks Green is getting scapegoated here.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 13, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Bad night all around but with Shoane on the ice for all 7 TB goals and Green on for 6 of 7 (power play or not), it wasn't a good night for those defensemen. I agree Knub's pass to Nick was bad but where were the two dmen?

I think it happens to every players - horrid nights - and there's no need to overreact, but those are damning single game numbers.

It'll pass. It's already passed.

Posted by: saintex | January 13, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

WTF!? Did anyone read Halpern's complaint about Ovies hit on Downie that started all this mess? Halpern said it was a dirty hit. I watched the game, the replays and all...and it was as clean a hit as Ovie has laid out all season. Downie was facing forward, Ovie didn't leave his feet, his knees were not stuck out, he lowered his shoulder and BOOM. Clean as a whistle.

Halpern should cut the Crosby-Act and realize hockey is a tough sport played by tough people. If he doesn't like it, he should take up curling.

Posted by: jmurray019 | January 13, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I think the Caps will come out with some fire when they play against Florida after coming out with no energy the last two nights. The lack of discipline and sloppy play is no excuse IMO for all of the power plays and TO's that the Caps gave to TB. TB has it's share of goons, but they also have some talented players as well like LeCavalier, St. Louis, and Stamkos. You simply can't give a team that many PP chances and expect to win.

As for the fight between Brads-Downie, there is no way the Caps want one of their stars like Ovie, Green, Semin, or Backstrom in fights. Fortunately, Brads stepped in at the right time and took Downie for Ovie (not that Ovie couldn't handle him, but we don't need him getting a broken hand). I think part of the reason the NHL will take no action is because of the player involved (Ovie).

Posted by: wizfan89 | January 13, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

@cainoo7x

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 13, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

And if I recall correctly, the other power play goal was a sick shot from a bad angle by Stamkos over Neuvy's shoulder. Not sure who could have defended that.

Posted by: cainoo7x | January 13, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

The NHL will take no action because there's none to take. Don't think for a minute that BB didn't have Brads up for a line change when Ovi's penalty was up. The line change with Fehr was clean and clear and Brads did his job. BB isn't so stupid to think that Alex wasn't going to mix it up with Downie when they came out.

Posted by: saintex | January 13, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@jmurray:

Halpern's still pi$$ed that the Caps got rid of him a few years back. F him. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Speaking of sour grapes, has Don Cherry the a$$clown chimed in on any of this?

Posted by: jwash4472 | January 13, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

The caps should try having Green play defense.

Posted by: capsfan5 | January 13, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Saintex: I was at the game, a rarity for me being in FL, so I didn't get any replays (recorded Sunshine Ch feed, but home too late due to roadwork on I-4). The Knuble pass that set up Tampa's 1st goal was beyond horrible. He slung it across the ice behind every Caps player. Beyond horrible.

Now, when Backstrom got the two penalties, not having replay, and then Ovi going after Downie, I thought that Downie had done something to Backstrom (just like Ovi's suspension was retaliation for something done to Backie). It wasn't until I read this morning that Ovi was "retaliating" for...his stick being slashed in half? Is that a reason to get irate? There has to be something more to this. Downie did more than just snap Ovi's twig. And, I will be on vacation and miss the rematch on the 31st. I will be in the middle of nowhere (Death Valley), the game will be on at noon there, and I doubt I'll get any coverage. Not that I would spend hiking time watching hockey, there are limitations.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 13, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I wanted to see Ovi fight. Had he giving Downie even an equal fight, it would have elevated his status. One fight per year might not be so bad. Even Gordie Howe fought a few times.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 13, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Good job Bradley. But Ovie may want to send a message to the entire league that he is our new Captain and we cannot be pushed around. Let him go for it. I know he is our Superstar but maybe he needs to drop the gloves with someone to make his mark as Captain. And I dont think he will open himself up to other players wanting to fight him. If anything, the rest of the Caps will follow his lead. Iginla does it once in awhile. I think Ovie should be able to if he needs to. In the playoffs, teams are going to try to push us around, we need to be able to stand up. I know that scoring on the PP is a good way to do that but sometimes you have to make a stand.

Posted by: bigschu8 | January 13, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I just realized, being at the game last night, I was unable to rock the white. (Had to drive, for one thing.)

We'll have shrimp for dinner, so definitely white wine. Things should be better.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 13, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I'll echo the comments that it would've been interesting to see Ovechkin try and fight. That being said, I would prefer if his first tussle wasn't against one of the other team's fighters... Tough guy, sure, but Downie has had enough fights to make that match-up unfair.

And on the rational side of things, let's remember we need those hands.

Posted by: Raber | January 13, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Ovi made his stand. He was perfectly willing to throw down with Downie but BB and Brads are smarter than that. AO scores and that's his job. Asking him to fight, and risk injury, has zero value to the team.

Posted by: saintex | January 13, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

i was reading that article on carlson someone posted the link for and noticed this note at the end:

"Chris Bourque didn't practice Tuesday due to general wear and tear. His status for tonight is TBA."

I thought Sh!tsberg picked him up off of wavers at the beginning of the season. Did we get him back? Is he in our system or theirs?

Obviously i missed something...can someone set me straight?

Posted by: deadskin | January 13, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I just checked out Steve Downie's wikipedia entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Downie
Interesting reading. Makes it a bit hard to feel sorry for him, especially for this phantom dirty hit he supposedly suffered.

Posted by: josephsurferrosa | January 13, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Green is a joke on defense. He was on for 6 (SIX) of the 7 Tampa goals.

I am not, again, saying trade him...but the people at CSN should be fired for naming him the "Player of the Game"...they obviously do not know hockey...

a)Green= Money on the PP.
b)Green= Eh on 5v5 (with Ovechkin's non backchecking linemates)
c) Green= A COMPLETE DISASTER on PK..

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 13, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

personally...id love to see Ovie fight...but fight Crosby or Malkin or just some other superstar or even any other real hockey player...

i like the way he is mixing it up a bit now that he has the C...

but i dont think he should ever be fighting fighters and goons...

brads for alternate captain!!!

Posted by: deadskin | January 13, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

And can we stop with this Chimera project...he has been virtually INVISIBLE while here...Clark wasn't great, but at least you noticed him from time to time..

Sloan=Hershey bound. NOBODY is going to pick up 700K for an ECHL caliber defenseman.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 13, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@deadskin

Yes, the pens picked up bourque on waivers, and then waived him themselves a little over a month ago and we claimed him back. he has been in hershey since.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | January 13, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Wait...so we have Bourque back? Wow...I say we bring him up, sit him for 20 straight games and then sign him to a 2 year 700K extension...!

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 13, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Are we a 500 team since..hmmm...since the road trip to Montreal.. ?

Win one - lose one
Wine three - lose three

Probably still good enough for the SE Division title and #3 seed, but...you gotta wonder.

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | January 13, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

let's face it, some of you people are so lazy and stupid that you're gonna blame Green even if he wasn't playing...

Posted by: joek443 | January 13, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

One loss, and the Doofus Brigade members puff out their chests and start posting.

Where's Cheef?

Where's LarryDavid?

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 13, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Sorry - I mean to say Buffalo...

And, my hunch is right -- we are 8-7 since then.

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | January 13, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Not to change the subject, the Doofus Brigade at full roar can be a source of great entertainment, but I'm planning to take my son to his first Caps practice on Saturday. Any tips/suggestions for best place to watch, best place for autographs, etc.?

Thanks for any info and we will have our revenge on the state of Florida tonight and on the city of Tampa when the Bolts come here on the 31st.

Posted by: Gould23 | January 13, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Glad SoaringCaps isn't a GM or a coach for the Caps..Keep blaming Green for everything when everyone but Poti and Shultz played mediocre.

And give Chimera time, he just friggin got here and you make it sound like he should have 10 points by now.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 13, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Where's LarryDavid?

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 13, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Wait for the Caps to loose in the middle of a Pittsburgh winning streak. For now the Pen's are 3-8 since December 21st.

Anyway glad Bradly stepped in for Ovechkin. Though I'm starting to think that maybe this Capitan thing isn't as cool as we thought. Not saying that Ovechkin can't defend himself, far from it, I just don't want other people going after him needlessly. Still I do like how Ovechkin has been stepping in for teammates during scrums.

However since he is a Capitan now then maybe we can see a Crosby-Ovechkin fight, just make sure your jersey is strapped down and you'll be fine.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | January 13, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I am getting sick of the "Angry Ovie" picture in the banner. And it is a really outdated story. Random thought.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | January 13, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't even understand why the NHL was even considering suspending Bradley... what a joke

Posted by: chasepyke | January 13, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@Gould23,
When you enter the practice rink area at Kettler, continue on past the Pro Shop around the end of the rink and there is an area that is near where the players head to the dressing room. It is opposite the bleachers. This Saturday may be tough as there is a Caps Kids Club event going on and they have special access set up for player autographs. You may be able to get your son signed up ($15) in time for it. Good luck!

Posted by: _Mark | January 13, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I hope Steckel and Bradley are in the starting lineup on Friday. Those two deserve a big ovation from the home crowd. Laich was brutal! But he knows it and he'll work himself out of this funk. I missed the first two periods last night but caught the Tampa Bay broadcast on XM. They are indeed bass ackwards. Love Espo - he's like Tampa's version of Sam Huff. But the clown calling the game made comments that were so off the wall -- at one point he basically admitted to not knowing anything about players from other teams. Give me a break! But, we've got to remember they're trying to sell that team to a market that doesn't really care a whole lot. They have to be homers and make mountains out of molehills to drum up interest. Finally - the bolts have been embarrassed by the Caps for three years. They have to do whatever they can - including gooning it up - to try to get in the caps heads, get the stars off the ice, etc. They wanted to send a message and did. Now it's up to GMGM to have Erskine or an ECHL tuffy go after Stamkos on the 31st to send a message back -- don't F with our guys or we'll F with yours. Tocchet can chew on that while TB watches the Caps play in May.

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | January 13, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

@-Mark,
Thanks for the info. Always nice to have a litte inside scoop.

Posted by: Gould23 | January 13, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

For some reason or other, Halpern seems to think that he has some kind of moral high ground from which to preach to the Caps about stuff he doesn't like. He should just shut up. He is a career third/fourth liner at best who opted to become a free agent when GMGM didn't offer him what he thought he was worth--he obviously has a somewhat inflated opinion of himself. Good move by GMGM, and I hope he showed Halpern the door when he left so he could get out of town quickly. For someone who supposedly has a degree from Princeton, he sure does pull some dumb stuff...his most recent comments, as well as his comments about Ovie's 50 goal celebration. Now that we have a legit top-tier player as our captain (the first one since Rocket Rod), and not a "gritty" guy like Hunter, Kono, Clark, or a purse carrier like Hatcher, or an over-the-hill guy like Oates, as a former captains of a bad Cap team, Halpern should just STFU.

Posted by: NorthFork1 | January 13, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

4) Why was Tamps gooning it up when they already had the game basically won?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 13, 2010 11:38 AM |

@CapsFan75:

Rick Tocchet = Convicted Felon.

Need I say more?

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 13, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

NorthFork1 couldnt agree more with you on Halpern he's mad he's stuck on a sh!t team that no one cares about and his hometown team showed him the door when he thought he was more than a role player ..i bet he kept the puck from his goal last night

Posted by: heathdog1119 | January 13, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Jeff Halpern's comments aren't worth reading. When he was here my husband and I saw and heard him a few times that made us suspct he didn't like or was jealous of Ovie and the attention paid to him. Now I'm thinking we were right and he should shutup.

Posted by: kimsumo | January 14, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse