No Punishment for Ovechkin's Hit on Gonchar

Alex Ovechkin said he hasn't been contacted by the NHL regarding any type of punishment for his knee on knee hit on the Penguins' Sergei Gonchar that took place in the first period of Pittsburgh's 5-3 win yesterday.

Word today from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette and the Penguins is that Gonchar has not been ruled out of tonight's Game 5, but they have recalled defenseman Alex Goligoski as "insurance." The veteran defenseman had to be helped off the ice after the hit and did not return in Game 4.

The news that there will be no disciplinary action comes as no surprise to the Capitals.

"There shouldn't be," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "If you've watched any suspension -- the knee is not the first thing that goes out. He's trying to hit him with his shoulder and the rest of your body, you can't leave it somewhere, it's got to follow you and that's what happened. He led with his shoulder. Simple."

Ovechkin reiterated his comments about the play from last night saying the knee-on-knee collision was an accident and that he tried to get word to Gonchar that the hit was not intentional.

"I tell a couple guys -- [Bill] Guerin, [Mark] Eaton -- it was accidental," Ovechkin said. "I didn't try hurt him."

He was also asked about comments made by Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik, who alleged that Ovechkin was intentionally trying to hurt players, specifically Russians.

"I don't care what he say," said Ovechkin, who chuckled when he heard the accusation. "It's a game. It's Russian, Swedish or somebody else it doesn't matter, it's playoffs. If he don't like it, he try to make hit against what Canadian? He's American? So like he try to hit Clarkie?"

Faith in Varlamov
Based on Boudreau's confidence that Simeon Varlamov will respond from his first shaky performance of these playoffs, it seems as though he will get the start in net again tonight.

"It was a hiccup and he had a bad game," Boudreau said. "My experience with him, during the regular season he had one bad game [at] home against Buffalo when they scored five goals on him.....We came back with him in Atlanta and he was incredible. You've seen enough of him where you must believe, like I do, that he's a very competitive individual I think he'll rise to the fore."

Boudreau wasn't the only one who stated his faith in Varlamov as Brooks Laich also believes his younger teammate is completely capable of bouncing back.

"I thought there was a couple saves that Sim made yesterday that kept us in the game too," Laich said. "It's unfortunate that as a goalie when you do make a mistake the whole building sees it, but Sim's played so well for us. He's kept us in the games and he's the reason we've won so many games. Tonight I'm sure he's going to rebound."

The rookie goaltender didn't skate this morning, but hardly any Capitals who played in last night's game did, which is to be expected with the back to back games. Jay Beagle was on the ice briefly, but the only players who participated in any sort of practice were Jeff Schultz, Donald Brashear, Eric Fehr, Jose Theodore and Brent Johnson.

Targeting Semin?
Speaking of Orpik, it appears as though the Penguins defenseman may be singling out Alexander Semin in what Boudreau believes might be an attempt to draw some retaliation penalties. Boudreau added that rather than Ovechkin's hit on Gonchar he would focus more on an Orpik cross check on Semin.

"I'd be more concerned with Orpik cross checking Semin in the back of the head. Even though the injury didn't take place that was way more vicious," Boudreau said. "I'm sure they're telling [Orpik]: 'He'll take retaliation penalties go after him.' All you have to do is watch the regular season and you know that's going to happen. I thought Alex did a great job with self restraint yesterday."

'Not an Excuse'
When asked about the factors of playing back to back games at a crucial juncture in a playoff series, Boudreau was frank.

"You can't use it as an excuse," he said. "I look at the American League and they're playing Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday....In today's NHL it's a 30 minute flight. We're in bed at midnight last night...it's not like they're old men like me, they're young in their prime athletes. They should be fine. I don't think there should be anything wrong."

By Katie Carrera  |  May 9, 2009; 1:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: One More Note on the Brashear Story
Next: Tonight's Lineup: Penguins at Caps

Comments

Bruce's comments on Varly sound eerily similar to Torts on Lunds, and his bounce back game doesn't count in the numbers of days of rest he had in between the two games he is referencing. I hope that I'm wrong.

Posted by: AMHV2772 | May 9, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Good. Kunitz not suspended for cross check, it's all fair.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Orpik is a freakin' idiot. =)

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't have been a penalty either.

Posted by: meagle | May 9, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Varly is the least of our worries.

What the caps do need to worry about is clearing the zone when you get the chance, not take stupid penalties and most importantly play like it's game 5 of the second round in the stanley cup playoffs.

While it's inconceivable to me that they would need any motivation to work and play hard, the boys will need the crowd to get behind them and provide some energy. Be loud as usual VC.

Posted by: Moose33 | May 9, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Role call for tonight's game!

Section 433 - present!

It's time to forget the last two games and look to the future.

Posted by: ejohnsto | May 9, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Things going against the Caps:

- Lost 2-0 lead
- Have never beaten the Pens in a Game 5 at home
- Have lost 6 of 7 series against the Pens

Things going for the Caps:

- This group doesn't give up
- They beat the odds last round coming back from 3-1 down
- The Caps lost their 2-0 lead, but it was on the road
- The Caps went from last in the league to 3rd in the Eastern Conference last year (never been done)
- We have Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, Green, Varly, Laich...

Let's go Caps. The place will be Rockin' tonight. I still believe!!!

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 9, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Other thoughts:

- It was also good to see glimpses of the good Mike Green last night, I perdict a breakout game for him tonight.

- The Caps have had several sequences this season coming off of a rough game (like game 3) where they lose the next game but you see them finding their form again amid some breakdowns. Then the game after (game 5 in this case) they come out and play their game and get a win. I saw shadows of that form finding in game 4 last night, I have faith the pattern will hold true tonight.

Posted by: AMHV2772 | May 9, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I tend to think that if we win tonight, they'll also win game 6. I think they would've learned their lesson. Not to let the Pens back in it. 3rd time's a charm in Pittsburgh. Anyone agree? I think they won't take it for granted and play hard in game 6. But first we gotta win tonight.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

section 425! rock it!

Posted by: my92agsr | May 9, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

theo starts tonight. mark my words.

Posted by: woodsidej1 | May 9, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

i think whoever wins game 5 takes series in game 6. and I definitely believe that will be the Caps... Ovie and co. are way too good to be beaten 3 in a row.

Posted by: my92agsr | May 9, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Tarik:
So no contact = no punishment? I would think they would let him know either way. Does it not work like that?

Posted by: --Boo-- | May 9, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Things going against the Caps:

- Lost 2-0 lead
- Have never beaten the Pens in a Game 5 at home
- Have lost 6 of 7 series against the Pens

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 9, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

The only legit item on this list is possibly the first one. People keep referring to it as blowing a lead but it's more like each team held serve. I'm not trying to sugar coat it. The way they lost the last two, it almost feels like we're down 3-2 but the reality is the series is tied.

The other two items are historical facts with no parallel to the current team and hold no significance to the outcome of tonight.

So i guess there is nothing going against the caps...:)

Posted by: Moose33 | May 9, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

section 412! gonna be rockin it tonight!!

honestly i really cant stand all the whining that has been goin on this series... it really makes me nauseous...

Lets run them out of the building tonight...

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: dmwechs1 | May 9, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Was not a penalty, only reason it was called was bc Gonchar got hurt. Another bad call from last night's game. Penguins crying is paying off. Unfortunate that Gonchar got hurt, but this is a contact sport. Ovechkin led with his shoulder, and it was a solid, clean hit. Gonchar stuck his own leg out, and that's why he got hurt, so its his own fault. Anyone who has ever played hockey knows that something you just don't do. Glad to see the right call made with no suspension.

Posted by: bobnowell | May 9, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

section 112 reporting.....even though can't believe i just had my 3rd friend bail on me. time to start waking some people up to see who is taking this extra ticket!!! GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: CapsSkins | May 9, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

The only way Theodore starts tonight is if Varlamov is deported.

Posted by: spacecadetkid | May 9, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

@Moose33: That was my point bud. These guys are OK. They even had a shot at winning last night. Losing a 2-0 in a series on the road isn't all that uncommon in the 2nd round and beyond. The wheels haven't come of the cart.

Section 430 checking in!!!

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 9, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I don't know exactly why but I DO expect the Caps to win the series. I am disappointed in their inconsistency and don't get it. But I think they have figured out what they need to do to win--even if they wait until the end to make the correction. Sort of like a good but disorganized student who waits until the day before the test to cram, but makes good grades anyway.

Posted by: caraveli | May 9, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Varly will have his new glove tonight.

Posted by: ejohnsto | May 9, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Role call for tonight's game!

Section 433 - present!

It's time to forget the last two games and look to the future.

Posted by: ejohnsto | May 9, 2009 1:28 PM

Section 414 :-)

Posted by: Chase4 | May 9, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Caps are done. Gonchar will be out, but Goligoski is no slouch.

Posted by: SC87 | May 9, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobnowell | May 9, 2009 1:46 PM

I have no problem with the penalty being called. I havea problem with the ignorant peguins fans and idiots like brooks "i'll break your neck or spear you in the balls" orprick calling ovy dirty. Pot meet kettle.
The photo in the Post' s print edition clearly shows Gonchar's leg out and ovy leading with the shoulder.

Posted by: Chase4 | May 9, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

1-- Orpik is smart to go after Semin. That's what part of his role is, to throw skill players off their game. You saw how Semin retaliated repeatedly against the Flyers last year, it would be dumb for Orpik NOT to goad Semin.

Which is why its better to initiate, then retaliate. But Semin never initiates.

2-- whether Ovechkin TRIED to hurt Gonchar is irrelevant. The fact is, he did hurt him with a dangerous hit. Lucky for us there's a double standard in the nhl. If that was Brashear with the hit its an automatic suspension. If a 4th line fringe player for the Pens hit Mike Green the same way, there would most likely also be a suspension. But the nhl takes it easier on their marquee guys.

Even Chris Kunitz escaped suspension because he's now a front line player. If he was a rookie callup to the 4th line or if he had a reputation that preceded him, he'd have gotten bounced for that xcheck on Varly.

Posted by: cstanton1 | May 9, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Caps are done. Gonchar will be out, but Goligoski is no slouch.

Posted by: SC87 | May 9, 2009 2:19 PM

Can't wait until you are proven wrong, as usual.

How's the golfing going for the senaturds?

Posted by: Chase4 | May 9, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216

I agree with your comments about Orpik; i.e. Orprick. He should talk. This is the guy who sticked Semin in the face last week and Semin needed stitches as a result. The very same guy. And he has the nerve to complain about Ovechkin. What a freaking hypocrite!

And there were earlier reports of him gunning for Semin. Boudreau has confirmed that today.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 9, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Varly will be fine if his D-men pick up for him tonight and get the puck out of the damn zone. Wouldn't hurt if the forwards offered some support down there, too, rather than waiting by the blue line for a break out.

Posted by: CDon | May 9, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

i Think theo should start tonite becues frist varly has lost 2 in a row and not only that but its back to back now and that coul prove even worse for him cues he lost yesturday horribly and its ganan carry over and wat if he starts bad its over so i think it should be theo.... and plus if u look back to to wen theo got pulled in game too it was simmiler to this but theo lost aclose one at the end and varly played worse then theo's frist game in round one so itw ont be fair to eitehr golie......

Posted by: rahul_rayray60 | May 9, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

No practice again -- another BIG mistake. These guys are not playing like a team. They need a half-speed practice to work on their schemes. The Pens are practing and improving while the Caps are not practicing and not improving.

Semin also needs to pull his head out of his nether regions, along with Green and Kozlov.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | May 9, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Trust in Varlamov. The die was cast, and he is the man now. Stick with your horse, he's the one who got us here as much as anyone else. Little miffed I can't go to the game tonight, but the crowd really needs to get behind the team tonight. I'm not saying it's must win tonight because I've seen this team do anything.

Big performance tonight, get control of this series back.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 9, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

The Caps not practicing today doesn't bother me. The Caps not practicing Thursday bothered me A LOT. Too many days off for these guys. They're being coddled. You don't need to go full speed, but you can run through systems and set ups. And you know, your big minute guys would be able to practice if you didn't play them close to 30 minutes a night.

Posted by: CDon | May 9, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

The "you" is in reference to BB, not to the posters on this blog.

Posted by: CDon | May 9, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Caps are done. Gonchar will be out, but Goligoski is no slouch.

Posted by: SC87 | May 9, 2009 2:19 PM

lol, the Caps are done. The series is 2-2 and it's anybody's game.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I like how Brooks calls him Sim. He sounds like an affectionate big brother.

For those going to the game, cheer loud for me. I'll be listening to the radio broadcast.

Let's go Caps!

Posted by: pstenigma | May 9, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1: Semin seems to be doing a good job not retaliating to orprick.

Posted by: Chase4 | May 9, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I think that whoever wins the game today will take the series. Until yesterday, I thought the Caps would take the series. Now, I'm not so sure.

In the talisman/omen department, I was looking at another blog and learned that today is the day the Russians celebrate Victory Day (i.e. May 9th) because of the WW II victory. Is this an omen for our Russians on the Caps?

I also went out to lunch with my sister and dropped her off at a friend's house. It appears his wife's last name is Lambkin (or was it Lampkin). If it's the former, it's the literal translation of Ovechkin into English. In any case, it's a name that's close to the literal translation of Ovechkin.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 9, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

No, it will be the wrong move if BB taps Theo. He made the move to ride Varly, so let's ride him out until it's over. We'll go as far as he takes us. No need for Theodore. What happens if Theo struggles? Then what?

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I'll be there -- in Section 117.

My husband says that this is the type of series where the home team wins all the games. I hope he's right since the Caps have more home games in it.

I only recall one series where the home team won every game -- the 1987 World Series where the St. Louis Cardinals lost to the Minnesota Twins. Yes, I'm a Cardinals fan, in addition to a Baltimore Orioles fan.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 9, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Orpik, the dirtiest NHL player at his best:

Carolina Hurricanes forward Erik Cole skated Sunday with his teammates for the first time since breaking two vertebrae on a crushing hit from behind from Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik on March 4.

But afterward Cole conceded he is not close to being ready to play or close to forgiving Orpik.

Posted by: CodePoetry | May 9, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

The Caps are absolutely not done. They will win the series. If the lose, my confidence will take a big blow and I will be vulnerable to a stroke, but I still think they will win--even when it becomes clear they have to win the final two.

I think they are undisciplined and inconsistent. I am really angry that they keep falling apart when they shouldn't and keep handing over the control. If they keep playing like this, they don't deserve to win but I really believe they will anyway. Of course, my prediction is based on the assumption that Varly will come back, but I think he will.

Posted by: caraveli | May 9, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

The Pens are clearly gunning for OV and keeping someone on him at all times, so when will Semin, Green, Laich, Flash, and Kozlov step up? So far, the Pens strategy is working because no one else is really stepping up offensively besides Clark and Backstrom have made the Pens move off OV.

The passing really needs work for the Caps. They are often just tossing the puck of their their zone and letting the Pens reload. Guys gaining the zone are not passing to an open teammate even when triple-teamed. And the Caps are getting seriously outworked along the boards and to the loose pucks. They need to play desperate and hungry today.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | May 9, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Orpik "There's a line you can't cross".

hy⋅poc⋅ri⋅sy   [hi-pok-ruh-see] Show IPA
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.

Meet Brooks Orpik, Ladies and Gentlemen!

Posted by: CodePoetry | May 9, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Things that should happen in game 5. Scratch Green. Honestly? He's a terrible defenseman. His offensive ability is amazing, but hes a joke on the back end.
Like the 2 on 0 last nite that the pens had, that green just sat and watched? Ive been watching the kid ever since he was down in Hershey, and hes never shown good D.
OV needs to watch his back, or the pens are probably going to run him. THey're awfully upset over that clean hit for no reason.
Crosby needs to shut up, period.
Semin's confidence has all but dried out, if he got a goal tonight it would be good to help him thru the rest of the playoffs.
Goaltending was not good last night, for Hershey or for Washington, with both goalies allowing a combined 11 goals and scoring a combined 6. Just not the way to get it done :(

Posted by: mastromon | May 9, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Re Varly or Theo,

One of my old hockey coaches, in similar situations, would always say: "You gotta dance with who brung ya." Who knows what BB will do, but I think the odds are that he will stick with Varly.

Posted by: NorthFork1 | May 9, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

more of live score:

Posted by: nowgoal | May 9, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Any Green haters in here?
Green will be better served as a forward. Anyone?

Posted by: 555Mass | May 9, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

CodePoetry: lol at Orpik, talking about "crossing the line." He sure has the guts to talk about other people playing dirty, doesn't he? Many he forgot, since that was 3 years ago?

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1: Semin seems to be doing a good job not retaliating to orprick.

Posted by: Chase4 | May 9, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

well - he's retaliated 3x so far, he got penalized a double minor the first time, and he's gotten away without a call the next 2 times. Which is fine by me, but I'd rather see Semin take the clean shot on Orpik when he gets the chance. In yesterday's game it was funny because he and Orpik had the run-in in the crease and Orpik cuffed him, Semin kinda half-pushed him back, then Orpik gets the penalty for holding someone's stick, and semin skates upto him to rub it in and Orpik tried to fight him but the ref got in the way.

all the caps need to do is simply initiate contact more, it will pay dividends in drawing penalties. Two of the Penguins penalties in yesterday's game also came by the way of them crashing the crease and us having to knock them down. That's another effective way to draw a PP.

Posted by: cstanton1 | May 9, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

CodePoetry: But it doesn't matter, don't you see?? Only Ovechkin is a dirty player and classless. No penwhine would EVER do something like what Ovy did.

Posted by: Chase4 | May 9, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Crosby needs to shut up, period.

Posted by: mastromon | May 9, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm tellin ya, either scratch him or restrict his ice time. The guy had more mins than any other player yesterday. He's a liability, regardless of any excuse.

But Poti really needs to be benched, Sloan is a much better player for us right now. He hasn't made one mistake yet, while Poti makes 3 or 4 bad clears every game which gets us penned in our own zone.

Posted by: cstanton1 | May 9, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Many= maybe

Yes, I agree with you. He is a total hypocrite.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

my biggest fear is this will make Ovechkin less aggressive on the ice. He had 3 or 4 real weak shifts after he came out of the box for the hit on Gonchar. We don't need him to be passive.

Posted by: cstanton1 | May 9, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

You say Orpik is a hypocrite but you should look at yourselves in the mirror. If it was Gonchar doing that to Ovechkin and Ovechkin was injured would you not be calling for Gonchar to be suspended? Yes, you would.

The Penguins don't care, they have all the momentum which means everything in a back to back. The Caps on their heels, they lose today, the series is officially over.

Posted by: SC87 | May 9, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

BB should stick with Varly. Besides everything else, Theo does not have the team's confidence, especially since the difference between him and Varly became so evident. If Theo was equal to Varly, it would be different. Having established himself as a disaster, going back to him will signal panic, retreat, desperation. He will also be signaling that he doesn't have faith in Varly's ability to be a playoff goalie--something the Pens have been eager to prove.

I looked up Varly's stats at Hershey, especially after October. He is the real deal. Once he had a bad streak of two games, but the rest of the time (just once or twice) his off games were isolated occurences.

Conceivably, he could have a two-game skid (unlikely) but, worst case scenario, he will be back for the last two.

Do you think the boys will play a more focused game now that they know Varly is human?

Posted by: caraveli | May 9, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

> If it was Gonchar doing that to Ovechkin and Ovechkin was injured would you not be calling for Gonchar to be suspended? Yes, you would.

Okay. But do you agree that the hit was NOT dirty. I am waiting for your answer. Let's check your hypocrisy level.

And while you doing that check the comments after this article:

Not a single hockey fan there agreed that it was dirty. And you can see there are Red Wings fans, Dallas Stars fans, Minnesotta fans and so on.

Posted by: CodePoetry | May 9, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

SC87: I remember you saying you won't even care if the Pens win the series or not. That you bet on the Pens, that's it. Keep on changing your story you loser PENS fan.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

The National Hockey League has ruled out the notion of supplemental discipline which has prompted reaction from Gonchar's representative, JP Barry.

''We now have Exhibit A of the extreme double-standard that exists in the NHL's approach to discipline. Alex clearly cuts back with his knee after missing his check with devastating results. But of course, because it's Alex, its all Sergei's fault,'' Barry told TSN.

Good job, Barry. You gotta do what you gotta do. The problems is, not just NHL, but ordinary hockey fans all over the league disagree with you.

Posted by: CodePoetry | May 9, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget this same Caps team beat the Pens in the regular season 3-0-1; so they're capable of beating them at home tonight irrespective of what happened 10 years ago in the Caps v. Pens playoffs. This is a totally different team so history and statistics do not matter. Let the Pens get overly confident and cocky and that will be their demise as they they're bound to run out of gas. I hope Ovie comes out flying and throws 20 hits on the Pens tonight, including Orpik.

Posted by: Irreverent_inDC | May 9, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

supercrybaby87:

Once again how say u on 2 BROKEN VERTEBRAE?

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 9, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Brooks Orpik said, "It definitely looked like (Ovechkin) stuck his leg out at (Gonchar)."

JP Barry: Alex clearly cuts back with his knee

Notice how the language has changed? There's no leg that was "stuck out".

YouTube is the greatest thing ever.

Bob McKenzie: If you look at the video over and over again, what you see is that Ovechkin's knee is out there, but it is not pushed out there. He's got a wide body stance, he's coming in and tries to launch the shoulder, but unfortunately he goes knee on knee.

Posted by: CodePoetry | May 9, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Could someone sum up Green's problems in the play offs for me? I see him doing wrong things here and there and I hear complaints about this or that performance, but there is a consistent flow of complaints. What's the total picture than makes him such a liability (more than Semin, for example)that the team would be better of without him?

Posted by: caraveli | May 9, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

SC: Stick with your crappy Senators. You shouldn't be liking both the Pens and the Sens. What kind of fan are you, liking two teams?

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Hello Pot87:
2 BROKEN VERTEBRAE?

Carolina Hurricanes forward Erik Cole hit from behind by Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik on March 4.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 9, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

caraveli: I think Green is obviously trying to set his priorities on defense, not offense so much. He is way too careless with the puck and he carries it out of our zone too nonchalantly. He always seems a step behind everyone else. Many times he mishandles the puck which leads to an odd man rush for the Pens. Also, how many times has a Pen scored right in front of the net with Green just standing there watching?

That's just the way I see it, but hey, what do I know? I think someone else can give you a better explanation.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Rachel. Like you, I also have the sense that we win game 5, lose game 6, win game 7--but I don't have any scientific basis for this of course.

Posted by: caraveli | May 9, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC87 | May 9, 2009 2:47 PM

Unfortunately for you, most Caps fans can see things objectively. Unlike you ignorant Pens fans. You and every last pengWHINE fan who is crying for Ovy to be suspended needs to look in the mirror. A penguins player (orprik) breaks a guy's neck previously and spears Semin in the balls in game 1. Yet he calls another player dirty. And the crybaby penwhines fans act like Ovy took gonchar's head off. You can't make up this scheisse!

Posted by: Chase4 | May 9, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Sec. 404 is here.

I've been impressed by Semin's discipline as well, thought he would be a penalty taking machine. I don't know about you but if points go hand in hand with penalties, HOOK SOMEBODY!

I thought Theo should've replaced Varly after the first because of the back to back games, it may have sparked the team.

I just want more shots, what happened to those 40 shot games?

Posted by: Osfan092589 | May 9, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Breaking news: Gonchar is out weeks.

Posted by: bulldog23 | May 9, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dan_comet | May 9, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I hope Gonchar plays tonight, hate to have the "we didn't have our best D " as an excuse for the Pens.

Notice to Gonchar if he is playing. Watch out for # 8 he hit hard and clean, try not to leave anything out that might get hurt.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | May 9, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1 says: "[W]hether Ovechkin TRIED to hurt Gonchar is irrelevant. The fact is, he did hurt him with a dangerous hit."

Your statement is ambiguous in a couple of respects, but some quick points.

(1) Your claim regarding the supposed irrelevance of whether Ovechkin intentionally tried to injure Gonchar is clearly absurd. All reasonable people regard successful intentional attempts to injure as more blameworthy than injuries that are caused unintentionally (and even some folks working for the NHL fall into this "reasonable" category). Had Ovechkin intended for his knee to run into Gonchar's (which is an unlikely account of things, since Ovechkin would thereby be placing his own knee at risk), as some Penguins players seem to be trying to say, there would be much better reason to be upset with Ovechkin.

The degree of injury that happens to result from a play shouldn't matter at all, except insofar as it serves as some evidence as to exactly how dangerous the play may have been. If you're saying that players should be blamed for any injury they cause, then you're saying that if Ovechkin shoots a puck, and just as he is doing so Gonchar falls in such a way that his face happens to block the puck, Ovechkin should be blamed, and that is a ridiculous thing to say. Play that is within the rules that happens to cause injuries is obviously, by definition, part of the game, and can't reasonably be the subject of criticism.

Your claim that Ovechkin's play was "dangerous" may or may not be correct, but the only thing that matters is whether it was or was not within the rules. It is arguably an instance of slight tripping or kneeing. What matters most is how severe the violation is, and the degree of intent, when it comes to how blameworthy Ovechkin is. At most, he recklessly stuck his leg out a little in an attempt to trip Gonchar. A minor penalty was called just like it is for the countless numbers of similar trips that take place in the NHL. Ovechkin deserves no further punishment, and that's a fact.

Your claim that Ovechkin is being treated better because he's a star, I would be highly skeptical of, if it weren't for the fact that Brashear only arguably was guilty of interference (because the puck had been on the guy's stick just a second before the hit) and somehow got suspended for five games for it (plus one for the pre-game incident), apparently just because of the result that happened to occur.

Perhaps the NHL really is so dimwitted that it adjudges blameworthiness solely by looking at (a) whether a rule was broken, and (b) if so, how severe the injury that resulted. But no reasonable person actually believes that is the way things should be.

Posted by: youaresquishy | May 9, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

@Chase4

I see you love the nickname that I coined for Mr. Orpik; i.e. Orprick. The hypocritical punk.

The pot meets the kettle.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 9, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Capsfannmiss: He isn't gonna play.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to think BB knows exactly what he's doing and showed so when he yanked Theo after game 1. BB knows and all of the viewing public knows that if Theo is in net, that means we're golfing! I don't think Theo will be in net again this year save from an injury or we're down in the series deciding game by 3 or more (pun intended)!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | May 9, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Update:
The extent of Gonchar's knee injury has yet to be revealed but he won't play Saturday night in Washington, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

GREAT ARTICLE!

Posted by: dan_comet | May 9, 2009 3:36 PM

But, but, but....it's just one man's opinion!

Ovy has played just as well as cindy.
It's just a damn shame that cindy had a full season this year that he wasn't nominated for the final 3 for the Hart. Maybe it's because he's not even close to being the best player in the league.

Are you done pretending that Ovy's hit was dirty? Seems you have moved on and are trolling for articles on how "great" crysby is this series.

Posted by: Chase4 | May 9, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward though (and I'm not giving up on this season as I trule think we'll win this series) but I was thinking about something BB said a few games back. I THOUGHT he said Dave Prior was our "Defensive Coach" as well as our "PK Coach". Well what were the 2 worst things about our team this yr? D and PK of course. No matter how this season ends I think he's gotta go. I actually thought Prior was the Goalie coach so I'm not 100% sure but whoever is in charge of D and PK needs to go. There is enough talent on this team to where we shouldn't be making the kinds of "Beer League" errors that we are.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | May 9, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@Chase4

The pot meets the kettle.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 9, 2009 3:46 PM

The nickname fits. The most hilarious thing is the penwhine fans won't admit the truth. But that team has been long know for being a bunch of hypocritical babies.

Posted by: Chase4 | May 9, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

oops, a little dyslexia slipping in....."been long know" = long been known.

Posted by: Chase4 | May 9, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

You Caps fans claiming that there should not have even been a penalty and that there was no "intent" to injure and therefore it is a clean hit are a joke.

1) the "great" 8 takes runs at Malkin every game - leaving his feet - elbows flying all the time.

2) if it were Scuderi that hit the "great" 8 and blew his knee out , intentional or not, would he be suspended?

you people disgust me. because of this borderlinel hit that knocked out the Pens best d-man probably means the Caps have a much easier time advancing.

Be aware, whether its in this series or next year sometime, the "great" 8 better have some eyes in the back of his head, a line was crossed....

Posted by: jsmartin3 | May 9, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

jsmartin3: What's your opinion on Kunitz's crosscheck on Varly's neck?

You say everything Ovechkin did was dirty but you're also saying he should watch out, so where do you stand? You think it's okay for the Pens to now go after Ovechkin?

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

The Post must be edited by Pens fans. The one time they're on the front page recently shows them losing. All the sports photos were of the Pens. When we win, there's a tiny pic of them at the bottom telling you to go to the sports section and the pix still favor the Pens. Don't understand what's with the coverage -- been like that for years. They wouldn't pull that crud with the Redskins

Posted by: capsfan4toolong | May 9, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

As the childish animosity between the fan bases is already out of the box, we may as well have some fun with it:

1) Did you hear about the new submarine designed by Penguin fan? Screen doors.
2) How do you confuse a Penguin fan? Stick him in a round room and tell him to pee in the corner.
3) How many Penguin fans does it take to kidnap a child? 12. One to kidnap the child and the other 11 to write the ransom note.
4) Who wears a dirty burlap sack and rides a pig? Lawrence of Pittsburgh.

Anyone have some other jokes to add to this list?

Posted by: Matt23185 | May 9, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Gonchar "likely done" for the season, according to Friedman's source:

Posted by: Irreverent_inDC | May 9, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

jsmartin,
that was the correct call on ovie. tripping. there was no intent to injure and he didnt stick his knee out but he should have pulled it back though. not only so he doesnt injure the other guy, but so he doesnt hurt himself either.

but it cuts both ways. orpik on semin, kunitz on varly, etc. stop thinking your team is above such tactics. stop with the line has been crossed cr@p that you read in the papers. if there is any line that's been crossed, kunitz and orpik are there as well. and who was it who got the penalty for leaving his feet last night???

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 9, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

@jsmartin3:

Suggest you look at the video carefully, and listen to the commentary of hockey experts like Bob McKenzie. As to what might or might not happen to Ovie, suggest you call your Pens fan buddy in Chambersburg (sorry, I don't have the number for the juvenile detention center). He needs help with his legal fees.

Posted by: NorthFork1 | May 9, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

capsfan4toolong: I was peeved about that also when I saw the front page this morning. Why didn't they put a picture of them on the front page when they won, like when they beat the Rangers in game 7, or when Ovie scored the hat trick in game 2? They only put them in the front page when they lose. It's kinda weird.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

@matt23185:

A true story, joke to follow: Business trip to Putzburgh, after dinner walk around the Point, one guy down in a manhole, 7 guys standing around the manhole watching the one guy work--in the best tradition of why there's not much steel being made in Steeltown these days.

Joke: Guy sees a buddy leaning on his shovel at a Putzburgh construction site. Says to his buddy "sorry to hear that you're about to be laid off". Buddy says "what are you talking about--I haven't heard anything". First guy says,
"the Japanese have just invented a shovel that stands by itself, so I figure a lot of you guys will be laid off shortly."
Badabing.

Posted by: NorthFork1 | May 9, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I dont know why everybody is freaking out. All the Caps have to do is win at home and they win the series. It's gonna be a whole different game at Verizon.

Posted by: hank7216 | May 9, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

A NY Times article looks at the Ovechkin hit in the context of other ref calls during these playoffs:

Posted by: pstenigma | May 9, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

From http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/09/no-punishment-for-ovechkin-but-what-are-the-refs-thinking/#comment-42103

"In January, Ovechkin crumpled his friend and former teammate Jamie Heward into the boards in a game against Tampa Bay.

Afterward, Ovechkin became subdued and went into a slump for a few games; he wasn’t playing like himself.

Ovechkin went into a kind of slump in Game 4 vs. the Pens after he hurt Gonchar and wound up with just two shots. He’ll have to snap out of it quickly to keep the Caps from falling behind by 3 games to 2: Game 5 starts less than 24 hours after his knee-on-knee hit that sidelined Gonchar."

Ovie, you need to forget about it and go and score and crush hypocritical pigs! Go Caps! Go Ovechkin!

Posted by: CodePoetry | May 9, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Beware of swine flu, Brooks Orpik is in town!

Posted by: CodePoetry | May 9, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Apparantly Orpik thinks that cross checking someone in the head and trying to break someone hand is on the good side of the line, while trying to hit people with legal checks is on the bad side. Ok, Orpik, whatever you say. What an @$$ pirate.

Posted by: oo7 | May 9, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jsmartin3 | May 9, 2009 4:00 PM

YOU disgust me. You regurgitate what you read in the newspapers. If you had ANY sense of objectivity to you at all, you'd man up and admit it was NOT intentional nor illegal. Orprik crossed a line when he speared Semin in the ballz. That must be the penWHINES m.o. to spear a player in the balls. First Whitney, then Orprik. Pansies every last one of them.

Posted by: Chase4 | May 9, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

> elbows flying all the time.

Are you talkin about Malkin? He is well known as Mr. Elbow here. Wasn't he penalized for an elbow hit on Jurcina?

Your facts doesn't seems to have any material evidence. Why don't you go to YouTube and retrieve something that you are saying? Find a one elbow from Ovechkin, not elbows, just one elbow.

I guess we won't hear from you now. Bye!

Posted by: CodePoetry | May 9, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

jsmartin3 is just a Pens fan who calls out opposing players for being playing dirty but fails to realize that his own players have been playing dirty as well.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Guess jsmartin3 won't respond cause he doesn't know what to say. Yeah, Orpik has done some dirty stuff to Semin so it beats me why he would be talking about "crossing the line." Who knew Orpik would know what crossing the line is? lol.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Theo Theo deserves another chance he is the reason u guys r even in the playoffss so what ever he played his heart out this season for you guys and this the way u treat him haha u gusy call ur selves true fans.... waita nd watch as soon as varly starts to struggle u all will be on him that is horrible...u guys talk alot liek that but why dont u go play for teh caps then ? we will see how u fair out ? u gusy have to let them do there jobs and stop talin cues u wont fair any better if u were there.... atleat they are in teh nhl ..... are you guys nooo

Posted by: rahul_rayray60 | May 9, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Grammar is your friend.

Posted by: visionof75 | May 9, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Only thing I saw wrong with the hit on Gonchar it was Gonch and not Crybaby......

Oh well guess we can take care of that tonight. Keep your head up Sid.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | May 9, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

lol, rahul_rayray60's comment took me like 5 minutes to read.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

hooked on phonics werked fer meeeee!!

Posted by: PGM17 | May 9, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone as excited as me to see the Brash comming Back...just in time for the Final win for us in the second round?

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | May 9, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Thanx Rahul.....everyone feels a whole lot smarter now. Thanks for being you!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | May 9, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I am excited that the game is on CSN again and I don't have to listen to those sucky versus announcers like in games 2 & 3...and only a little over an hour until game time...GOOOO CAPS!!! KICK BUTT!!

Posted by: PGM17 | May 9, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Interesting article about Crosby that someone posted. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=422126

I don't agree about him being the MVP in the series, but I do believe that he may be the most consistent & reliable.

Though I do not like his whiny personality and teacher's pet status, I must admit that I have been impressed by his leadership. He is always there, leading, setting up opportunities, carrying the team even when he gets no help at all from his teammates, as in games #1 and 2. I can see why his leadership of the team, combined with his talent, makes me a more valuable player than Malkin. He sets the tone and mood for this team. He really leads.

Ovie is his counterpart. He is more explosive and bolder. Is he as consistent? I don't know.

Is there any reason why we don't contain Crosby the way they (and other teams) contain Ovechkin?

Posted by: caraveli | May 9, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Was there a movie called 'eating rahul'?

Posted by: CodePoetry | May 9, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Guys, I hate to say it but the Caps have been outplayed by the Pens all series long. Therefore despite being a Caps fan, I'm not feeling nearly as confident in them winning the series barring some return to the level of play they showed in a few games against the Rangers. It seems to me that our defense is hurting and we have had a lot of trouble setting up a continued attack against the Pens. There have been times where even without a power play, they've managed to take 5 or 6 shots in a row without us getting the puck. When that continues assault occurs, it's hard for any goalie to keep making saves.

Posted by: Thundershock | May 9, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

It's simple really, you all want to cite Kunitz on Varlamov, Orpik on Semin, Malkin throwing his elbow (one) - fine - the bottom line is they aren't trying to knock these guys out of the series and only one player is going to miss a game due to a hit - who is it?

And please spare me the "look at the video" and "Bob McKenzie says" stuff. McKenzie is no more an expert on anything than half the people in this chat. Next you'll tell me Don Cherry makes sense.
#8 went after him looking for a big hit, and he got one. Oh and who cares if tripping is the correct call, that is not the issue. Players cannot take out the other team's best and think that it's OK.... or that there will not be any retribution.

And yes, it cuts both ways, I am fully aware that this stuff happens on both sides. Orpik is the most physical d they have, he's gonna hit someone during the game that is why he earns a paycheck in the NHL.

Posted by: jsmartin3 | May 9, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

If you don't think Crosby has been massively outplaying Ovechkin in this series than you are a tool. Ovechkin floats while Crosby works hard.

Posted by: SC87 | May 9, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

SC: You are a tool as well. =)

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

jsmartin3: Go ahead and keep dwelling on this and keep thinking about it. Bottom line is nothing is going to happen to Ovechkin, no suspension, nothing. So why don't you get over it now?

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

It's safe to say that no one cares about this topic anymore.

Let's Go CAPS!!

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

I dunno about everyone else, but today's seemed eerily calm, like a storm's about to come. Either we will get our behinds handed to us, or we'll hand the Pens their own as retaliation for the past two games. Or we end up as mirrors, again. (because the Bears happen to have YET ANOTHER game at the SAME TIME as the Caps... and I'm getting tired of multitasking. xp)

Posted by: 4RBears | May 9, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

My prediction: In the first 5 Minutes a major crunching check will be laid out on Crosby or Malkin and the Pens will be in retallation mode the rest of the game.

We breeze today with our power play being effective in a 5-1 win !

ROCK THE RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | May 9, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

jsmartin3: I'm pretty sure that Bob McKenzie is more of an expert than you are.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

4RBears: What's up with the Bears and Caps always playing the same time and the same day? Hopefully both win tonight and take a 3-2 lead.

Capsfannmiss: Such positive thoughts! I love it and I hope you are right!

LET'S GO CAPS! Come on SC87 and jsmartin3, say it with me, LET'S GO CAPS! =)

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

@Rachel: In response: What's with them ending up with the same score and same endings for the past two games? It's making me paranoid of mirrors! lol

Posted by: 4RBears | May 9, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

"McKenzie is no more an expert on anything than half the people in this chat."

And what intelligence do you bring to this chat? Please go back to Pensblog and chat with your fellow friends there. No one here cares anymore about Gonchar.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

4RBears: It's kinda strange, don't you think? Both have played on the same day for almost every game. Both took a 2-0 series lead on the Pens/baby Pens, both lost game 3 at the Pens place in OT by the score of 3-2, and then both lost pretty big in game 4. (And not to mention both Neuvy and Varly struggling.)

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Rachel: And on that point, they both had home ice advantage. Win two at home, lose two away, and the big question mark for tonight. I'm just hoping that the offense actually starts living tonight, because otherwise I might work on my creative writing assignment that I was supposed to work on yesterday. (but didn't because of the Caps and Bears games lol)

Posted by: 4RBears | May 9, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

4RBears: Hopefully you won't have to work on that creative writing assignment tonight. =) We need you to keep us updated on the Bears during the Caps game.

jsmartin3: I would just like to know what qualifies you to say McKenzie is not an expert. Like you are? lol.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Rachel: Want to know the funniest part? It's a script about a girl playing in a men's professional league with a spinoff Hershey Bears team =)

Posted by: 4RBears | May 9, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

An Open Letter to Penguin Management and Penguin Fans:

Thank you for stealing the joy of this series from me. Thank you for stealing the enjoyment of this series from me. Your solipsistic, self-interested, win-at-all-costs, look-at-me behavior has sucked every ounce of joy I could feel about watching this series from me. Your solipsistic, win-at-all-costs, look-at-me behavior has sucked enjoyment of watching hockey out of me.

In January, you, along with the Canadiens' fans, ruined the all-star game by stuffing the ballots with Penguins. You helped make what should be a fun exhibition a joke. As a result of your behavior, the league is now looking into changing the way players are voted onto the all-star teams. In other words, you helped take from me the ability to vote on all-stars.

Now, in this series, I dread going to games at the Verizon Center. I know that if anything happens good for the Penguins, you will be standing and acting in a look-at-me behavior. If things go against the Penguins, your behavior will be the same. In other words, no matter what happens, I am forced to pay attention to you rather than the team I am paying to see. I cannot enjoy seeing the Caps because I am forced to pay attention to you.

Now, you have taken over our message boards. Your behavior on here has been solipsistic at its best, boorish at worst. When Cap fans, in the way fans do, make fan based comments about the Caps, you come in here and boorishly challenge the conclusions. You taunt us and force us to pay attention to you.

When the Penguins lose, instead of saying, "we lost," you challenge the integrity of the game. You do this anytime you comment on officiating, league suspensions (or lack thereof), and other things beyond the control of the players. Unfortunately, you are simply following the tone set by Penguins' management. It's sad but this behavior has been the franchise's M.O. since they lost the final games of the 84 season to secure drafting Mario.

This season has been a joy; the Caps performance in the playoffs has been a joy. But, because I no longer want to deal with you, I just want the series to end. I just want the season to end so I don't have to deal with you anymore. In what should be a joy, I can't feel it because you force me to stare at you. Instead of remembering the joy of this season, instead of remembering this season as the season in which the rebuilding I've watched for the past five years reveals itself as working, I now remember you and your behavior. Not only did you cheer for your team, but you stole joy from those around you. I hope you feel good about yourselves. You are the definition of solipsists.

Posted by: Matt23185 | May 9, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

4RBears: What a cool topic. Hopefully it turns out great but let's hope you don't have to worry about it tonight. You can do it tomorrow cause the Caps are gonna win tonight!

Posted by: rachel216 | May 9, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

If jsmartin's assessment of Bob McKenzie's credentials is correct--and it isn't--then 50% of the posters on this site are very knowledgeable. McKenzie has been a TSN analyst since the 80s, and was editor-in-chief of The Hockey News for 9 years before that. His father started the Hockey News. Plus, he's a Canadian, and doesn't have a dog in this fight, as you apparently do. As is usually the case with folks like you, your willingness to express an uninformed, unbalanced, and juvenile opinion is inversely proportional to your apparent IQ.

Posted by: NorthFork1 | May 9, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Typical NHL double standard, if he played for Philly he would have been thrown out of the game and suspended but since he's one of the poster boys he won't be. Honestly I'm shocked they even called a penalty on the play and him saying it was an accident is bull, he seems to be able to do just about anything on skates but suddenly he just couldn't avoid the cheap hit.............please.

Posted by: michaeltyrant1 | May 9, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I think it's a sham and a shame that Ovechkin is not punished for the knee to knee hit on Gonchar. I think it has to do with marketing and money. That is a disgrace. The league should be ashamed. Brashear is suspended for 6 games for his play. He's not a money maker like Ovechkin so Ovechkin doesn't have to sit. It's the second series that Washington, through cheap play, has taken out a great player on the opposing team. The cheapness goes to the NHL. It lessens the quality of the league and shows the unfair play by the league. It is analogous to rich people having different rules in the criminal justice system. It's not fair. The league needs to take a serious look at what they do and reevaluate their policies and decisions. I am deeply disappointed in a league that I used to have respect for. But how can you respect someone who doesn't respect themselves. I can't. It also says you don't care what a player does as long as he's a star. You should care more. Hold him to a higher standard. It's a pity they don't. If a player cheap shots another player, they should have to sit out until the player they hurt has medical clearance to play. Again, you should sit Ovechkin for the next game or more. He does not deserve to play.

Posted by: HockeyFan2 | May 9, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey Rachel, Northfork, and the rest, being a journalist covering hockey does not make you an expert. Do you play the game? have you ever?

You watch the games right? do you know what tripping vs. kneeing is? (apparently not) what makes him more informed than you? a direct line to NHL offices to tell you what you already know - that there was never going to be a suspension????

Is it that you only started watching Caps games last year during the playoffs when the media around here decided that hockey was a major sport?

Think about what you see during games - or on you tube - or Smokin' Al Koken's post-game, you need them to tell you what to think?

Posted by: jsmartin3 | May 10, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Hey jsmartin3,

I've played the game, and coached it at the Midget AAA level, and I do know the diffence. I've been around hockey probably longer than you've been alive. Go back and crawl in your hole, the Pensblog.

Posted by: NorthFork1 | May 10, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

what makes him more informed than you?

-jsmartin3

Let me throw this question back at you. What makes you more informed than you? I don't think you are to judge who isn't and who is an expert.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 10, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

hat makes you more informed than HIM*

Posted by: rachel216 | May 10, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey Rachel,

This guy has taken up enough rent-free space in our heads, which was probably his intent in the first place. Shame on me for letting him do it. I will end on these two notes:

One of the many things I learned coaching at a pretty competitive Midget/High School level is that there are a very substantial number of very talented players who don't make it up the ladder. In many of those cases, it is simply because they think that they know it all...sound familiar?

The second point: On the two CD Alison Krauss & Union Station "Live" album, the first track on the second CD is entitled "Who Let The Pigs Out". Why am I thinking of this song after reading all of the posts by Penguin trolls?

Posted by: NorthFork1 | May 10, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse