Not Looking Good For Injured Caps

The Caps just hit the ice at ACC for the morning skate. Alexander Semin is not out there, and Chris Clark did not travel to Toronto. Both of them, I'm assuming are out, though I plan to confirm this with GM George McPhee in a bit.

Defenseman Tom Poti is out there, but he's moving really slowly. I would be surprised to see him on the ice tonight.

More later.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 29, 2007; 11:52 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Injury Update
Next: Ovechkin Talks Contract (Briefly) and Bondra Retires

Comments

I am really bummed about Semin re-injuring his ankle. I was so good to have him back on the ice, and now who knows how long it will be before he will be back there again.

Tarik: do you have any more updates on Clark?

Posted by: Blonde Caps Fan | October 29, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Man, here comes another loss. Even with the new additions, the team just doesn't seem to have the talent depth to absorb those injuries and still successfully carry on. That hurt them last season and it looks like it will be the same this season.

On something off-topic, wanted to point out that a former Cap is on to another phase of his career. Bonzai is coaching the Slovak team. Here is the link:

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | October 29, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

At least they're not up against the Bullies tonight. The last thing they need is someone taking a run at OV.

Posted by: Kurt | October 29, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

here comes 4-7, this is f-ing miserable and pathetic.

Posted by: shoot me now | October 29, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Without Semin & Clark not in the lineup tonight we need Pettinger and Gordon to contribute more offense than they have in the first 10 games.

Posted by: isep | October 29, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm concerned about Friday's game against the Flyers. I hope there won't be any rough stuff like the Randy Jones hit on Patrice Bergeron/Bruins - face first into the boards on Saturday night - concussion and a broken nose, he had to be taken off the ice on a stretcher and was released from the hospital on Sunday.

Posted by: Blonde Caps Fan | October 29, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

A positive note (if that's okay). I was watching Saturday's game by DVR last night and saw #87 in front of the goal on the PP and was wondering if Glen Hanlon got the idea from here. I don't remember who, but I know somebody here suggested just that. Moments later one of Green's shots went it.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | October 29, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I hear Ovie is looking for a house in Toronto...

Posted by: 555CapsFan | October 29, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I remember Brash on the PP twice. Once for a goal, doing a very nice job screening the goalie, and once taking a penalty to negate the PP.

So I guess, on the balance, let the experiment continue, props to whoever here suggested it.

Posted by: Vlad | October 29, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I doubt Hanlon spends a whole lot of time perusing the blog comment board at the Post for game strategy considering he's public enemy number one around here.

For all of the injuries they're not playing badly right now. 1 goal games hurt, but at least they're competitive. Considering how decimated both teams are it should be an interesting test to see who can jruy rig the best team tonight.

Anyone know if Bonzai's family still live around here, or are they all moving back to Slovakia?

Posted by: EricS | October 29, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't count the caps out yet - the Leafs are suffering from injuries as well.

And I don't think its fair to be ranting and raving about the failure of the team to have enough depth. There are very few team in the NHL that could lose their captain, #1 defeseman and a potential 40 goal scorer and not be hurting badly. Semin's been out/limited all year and that's hurt them all year; missing Clark and Poti for all of/part of the games over the weekend could have been the difference in the one goal games.

If the team were struggling having lost depth players (3rd/4th line guys; 5th or 6th d-man) I think we could say there's a problem with quality depth, but there's no team in the NHL that can lose the players that the Caps are expecting to miss tonight and replace them easily.

Posted by: DMG | October 29, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

if Hanlon is on here looking for advice regarding the PP, please fire him now!

Posted by: fansince72 | October 29, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

EricS is spot on - the Caps have played well except for the three game stretch where they looked terrible. They're generally outshooting their opponents, but they keep falling victim to things like turnovers, bad penalties (some of which have been figments of the refs' imaginations), and just bad luck. The team has been competitive and is sitting 3 points out of a playoff spot.

Let's not forget what the expectations should have been. Anyone who thought the Caps could waltz into the playoffs was misguided. They're a team that's going to have to fight all 82 games to try and get in one of the last few spots. Sure, it'd be nice to see them doing better in terms of win-loss, but I really don't think it's time to be panicking yet.

Posted by: DMG | October 29, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

sports connected (Sportsnet) says OV is probably the best player in NHL scores,hits,playing both ends of the rink. He is positioning himself for the RFA this summer.They said it is too bad he had to play in washington because ice is the worst in the nhl, no fans, no future. Dean Evanson coming on now

Posted by: can caps fan | October 29, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

fansince72, I agree. I shudder to think about Hanlon getting any ideas from this particular source.

But I think everyone is forgetting that this isn't the first time Brashear has been out there on the power play. It happened several times last season,too, so maybe you should all just stop patting yourselves on the back for this one.

Posted by: norske | October 29, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE HANLON MUST GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PLEASE, HE'S NOT THE RIGHT COACH FOR THIS TEAM

Posted by: erick | October 29, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Eric Fehr has a mysterious hip injury that has been "slow to respond to treatment."

The other day, one of the local writers...I don't remember if it was you, Tarik, or Masisak stated that Poti's groin injury was "slow to respond to treatment."

Originally, it was also stated that Semin's ankle was "slow to respond to treatment."

If we believe that Eminger's designation on the IR list is really an injury, then it's safe to say that his injury is also "slow to respond to treatment."

Is this pattern just an unfortunate coincidence or is this a problem with the training staff?

Posted by: aybee | October 29, 2007 6:57 PM | Report abuse