Nylander Dealing With Distraction

We've all heard the Michael Nylander-to-Chicago trade rumors. Nylander, of course, has heard them, too.

But the Caps' center said this morning that he's been through this before and he's doing his best to not allow the media reports to become a distraction.

"You can't think about it too much," he said. "You just have to deal with it, go out and play. You can't pay attention to what they say in the papers."

Nylander said he hasn't been approached by Caps' management about waiving his no trade clause, which he reiterated this morning is in effect this season. (There have been conflicting reports as to whether he's covered by the NTC this season, or whether it kicks in next season.)

"Nothing, no, he hasn't talked to me," Nylander said, referring to GM George McPhee. "I play here. That's how I'm approaching the situation. That's the way it's going to be. Whatever it says in the papers, that's out of my control to do anything about it."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 24, 2008; 1:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau To The AHL Hall Of Fame
Next: Morning Skate Update

Comments

Maybe all this trade talk is just to get Nylander going. Let's hope it works.

Posted by: _jordan | November 24, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

"I play here. That's how I'm approaching the situation. That's the way it's going to be."

And that's that.

Posted by: Section117 | November 24, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Lets trade Schultz! I am sure another team has a pretzel stand we can get for him.

Posted by: capsfan55 | November 24, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

hey, how come the Wizards have a online chat and the Caps don't?

Posted by: Andoy | November 24, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

@section117
"And that is that".
Not on this forum. LOL.

I like the way he plays, and like his attitude.

Posted by: opita | November 24, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I still hope he doesn't get traded. I like this team's chemistry. Just hoping for a streak of a healthy team lineup to really see how good this team can be.

Posted by: dsphvywght | November 24, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

There's no way Chicago has scratched players (twice we've been told) because they were about to be traded for Nylander - if Nylander hasn't yet been approached.

More likely, these players are headed elsewhere - if anywhere at all.

I'm stiff miffed they used Fedorov when he was within a week of IR (and cap savings), and on top of that he's re-injured.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 24, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you, Tom. They should give guys an extra week off even after they feel "100%" when they're coming back from ankle problems. Who knows how long he'll be out now!

Posted by: _jordan | November 24, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Regarding injuries. Who makes the decision as to when a player is ready to play? I always thought the ultimate decision was made by the player, does anyone know for sure how that works?

Posted by: opita | November 24, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I take it the ten games for LTIR is ten consecutive games... that bites. BAH!

Posted by: irockthered | November 24, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@ opita: I've head different versions but I believe most recently it was said that it's up to the player. I don't have any facts to back that up, it's just from my memory of reading it recently.

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | November 24, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@BlondeCapsFan,
Thanks. That is my understanding too.

Posted by: opita | November 24, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

1) the whole Nylander trade scenario was so far fetched from the outset. Even if Nylander didn't have a NTC, they still made little to no sense for either team.
2) Factoring Nylanders NTC and his choosing the come to DC for family reasons, it will take a LOT to motivate Nylamder to get up and move mid season. Why would he? For increased playing time? He gets paid regardless.
3) He's playing poorly, gets paid well AND he has 2 additional seasons left on this contract. Anything more need to be added as tp why he's NOT going to be traded?

Posted by: fauxrumors | November 24, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Andoy

Tarik used to do an online chat every Friday, but for some reason the Post isn't doing it anymore.

I'd like to see it come back.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | November 24, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Does the Steen trade have any impact on the Nylander proceedings?

Posted by: poparoni | November 24, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Tallon wouldn't have said what he said unless him and GM hadn't been talking. He said Buff's name "never came up".

Tallon has been proven to be a dense guy on a few occasions. GM is silent. Nyls is not dumb enough to discuss a trade that might not happen.
Why Nyls WOULD go back to Chicago:
- Because he likes it well enough to still have a house there
- Because Feds now fills the elder mentor role he used to have to himself (and Feds is a better one since he's Russian)
- Because Gabby doesn't like the way he works in his old age
-Because nobody who has enough heart to make it to the NHL is content with sitting on the bench and drawing a check.
- Because Tewes and Kane are a powerhouse to play with and mentor (even if he's Swedish)
- Because Tallon wants him really bad.
- Because GM is disgusted that the second highest salary is on the 3rd or 4th line.

Something's going to happen.

Posted by: large23220 | November 24, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

...and here's why this particular trade won't happen:

-we're not too long on centers with Feds out. what's the rush to just hand over who would be CHI's #2 center?

-the proposed trade as it stands (Byf+Sopel for Nyls) puts us in even worse cap shape than we are now. Things are very different if Cam Barker is the player coming back over, by the way

-CHI has to figure out their G sitch before anything else happens. That Tallon is lucky he has a frickin' job.

-Nyls is our #4 offensive scorer right now. there are about 6 other guys (on O and D) who really don't have their acts together either, so some perspective is in order

Posted by: bigonetimer | November 24, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

@large23220 you are trying to come up justifications for something which you HOPE will happen.

McPhee is "disgusted" about such a high salary not being on the first or second line?

What do you think GMGM expected to happen when he signed Fedorov at $4 mil in the offseason?

Thank you bigonetimer. Perspective, indeed. I don't understand the Nylander-bashing, nor the excitement about rumors for a trade that would be devastating to this team.

Posted by: notfadeaway | November 24, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I agree. I'm guessing there was something to it, but I hope whatever it was has come and gone! he can be very valuable: can dish it up to our scorers...always manges to be able to catch the guy with the open shot just at the right time.

We need that.