Obama on Ovechkin: 'He's Outstanding'

Finally, the hometown team gets some recognition from President Obama. From the D.C. Sports Bog:

Barack Obama made it through this year's Washington Capitals playoff run without setting foot in Verizon Center, at least when the sheet of ice was down. I don't think we'll be able to say the same thing next spring.
Speaking to students at Moscow's New Economic School this morning, Obama included Alex Ovechkin on his list of great Russians. (See below.)
"As a resident of Washington, D.C., I continue to benefit from the contributions of Russians -- specifically, from Alexander Ovechkin," the President said. "We are very pleased to have him in Washington, D.C."
Of course, Caps fans immediately linked the above three paragraphs together, and threw in a dash of skepticism. Using Ovie to score political points? For shame. "Someone should've asked how many Caps games POTUS has attended," one pointed out.

And someone actually did. Thanks to Chuck Todd for asking the tough questions. Click here for more.

Speaking of Ovechkin, here's a list of Russians who will attend Olympic training camp in Moscow Aug. 29-30.

A few more links to get your morning started:

* Happy birthday to Mike Knuble this past Saturday. Sorry we didn't get you anything, buddy. In the Grand Rapids Press, the Caps' new winger talks about his future in Washington.

On Ovechkin:

"He's our MVP and he's one of the most exciting guys in the league," Knuble said. "He's intense and works extremely hard, and I can't help but believe that is going to be contagious."

On playing for a contender:

"I didn't want to leave Philly. I thought they were still a good team that could contend in the East," Knuble said. "But I didn't want to leave a team that had a chance to contend for a team that didn't have a chance."

On providing some grit and a net presence the Caps desperately need:

"I knew they needed a guy like me," Knuble said. "A guy that go out in front of the net and score goals, get goals off my skate, my stick, my rear end, whatever."

* NHL Digest interviewed Caps strength and conditioning coach Mark Nemish. Check it out here.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  July 7, 2009; 9:13 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin Named Ambassador for Sochi Games
Next: Caps to Hold Convention at National Harbor

Comments

That's what they do. All of them. Use people but do not support them. It's just the way it is.

Posted by: Mike4169 | July 7, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Poloticians I mean

Posted by: Mike4169 | July 7, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

This is the typical no win situation. If he goes to a sporting event, people criticize him for taking time off from his job. If he doesn't go, he gets criticized for that. So like I tell my wife, her attitude is liberating for me. No matter what I do she will question me about it so I may as well do what I want.

Posted by: chopin224 | July 7, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Well, I think he would enjoy it. I was at VC when Pres. Clinton came one night and it really is quite a job to get him there even though it's only a couple of blocks. Seven or eight Suburbans, motorcycle cop everywhere, along with every street blocked by cop cars. Then inside there were secret service guys everywhere, counted five up on the catwalks with binocs and rifles. Probably costs us as taxpayers about $150,000 for him to see it. Maybe he should invite Ted to the White House and watch it on his widescreen and save us all that money Eh?

Posted by: billd2 | July 7, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Hey now, at least it's good PR for our Caps. If the President wants to watch a game, that's fine by me. Just make sure to root for our team, win or lose.

Interesting to see if the use of Ovechkin's name will help to reduce the nuclear arms that Russia and the U.S. have!

Posted by: TenleytownTom | July 7, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Russia and Sweden will have pretty sick Olympic teams!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | July 7, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Actually only Republican politicians are criticized for attending sporting events. Bush was even criticized for saying he was no longer golfing out of respect for the troops. When Obama golfs or spends an evening on broadway or in Paris it's charming and dashing.

Posted by: ralph4100 | July 7, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

This is going to be a warzone soon if we don't stick to hockey talk.

Posted by: thiazzi | July 7, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather that we not get into a political debate. While I do have problems with the President throwing out Ovi's name out there, like someone said, it's good PR. Now, if he could actually practice what he preaches sort of speakin' and catch a game on TV or somethin', or invite them over to the White House, then we're talkin'. As far as Bush is concerned, *sigh* do we even need to go there?

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 7, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Obama should come out and Ted should give him a Caps jersey #44 for being President #44. Then Obama should come here on the blog and put his opinion on whether or not McPhee has done enough to propel us to the top. I don't expect this guy to work 24 hrs/day. He should work 10/day, 6 days, and half-a-day on Sunday (just phone calls). Shouldn't be a problem for him to work 60+ hrs since he's essentially working out of his house (think he does that home tax deduction?).

If I'm President, and I have two choices at 7 pm - Jeopardy or taking in a Caps game, I'm calling Ted to see if I can get into the owner's box. Fact is, I would schedule to be in Canada when the Caps are there so I could attend the games with conferring with the PM on "state matters." I'd visit Sweden in summer so I could drop in on Backstrom's home town. I would begin talking about how the economic recovery needs "Mike Knuble's kind of grit." I'd say things like, "If Potsy could come back, America can come back," and, "If Erskine can make a million dollars, anyone can make a million dollars," and, "As a country, we just need to put the biscuit in the basket."

Maybe that's why I'm not the President, you think?

Posted by: tominfl1 | July 7, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Deja moo, like I said. I gotta agree with billd2, too. The production required for him to attend a game would drive the rest of us insane and cost the taxpayers a considerable chunk of change. Skip it, sez I, and let him go watch a sport he likes.

Posted by: kittypawz | July 7, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Anyone going to the Vancouver Olympics, btw?

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 7, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

That Russian team is ridiculous!!

The top line could have all 3 Hart Finalists on it. When Semin is probably a 3rd or 4th liner, you know your team is amazing.

Is it just me, or does anyone else kind of hope Varly doesn't make the team?? I don't want him overused before we need him for the playoff run.

Posted by: adamkatzen | July 7, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I'm with adamkatzen. It won't be so bad if Varly doesn't make it to the Russian team this time. Maybe as a back-up? Otherwise, I'd rather that he do the Vancouver Olympics as a spectator.

I hope Team USA and Team Russia trounce Team Canada. =X

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 7, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

"At the professional level it is the control I don’t have during the off season when the players are on their own to lift, especially those who are overseas."

Aww. That's nicer than saying "Backstrom and Semin get fat and lazy during the summer!"

Posted by: amberlynne | July 7, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Too bad Toronto picked up Beauchemin. That would have been a great addition for the Caps at a good price.

Posted by: Stu_c | July 7, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

"I hope Team USA and Team Russia trounce Team Canada. =X "

I second that! However, I want Mike Green to still play very well for his team.

As for Varly, that is very kool that he is invited as a prospect for Team Russia, but I too would think that it may be too much this go round, since he is about to play his first full season in the NHL....now, assuming NHL players play in 2014 Olympics...I would love to see Varly play in Russia!!!

I think it was neat that all of the Russian 5 (from last year) were invited as prospects for team Russia...I was a bit surprised that Kozlov was included, but very happy for him!

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | July 7, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I think Mike Green is the only person on Team Canada I care about. Don't get hurt, Mike!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 7, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

As for Obama, a good fix...send him a jersey or a caps hat...let him be photographed sporting either, or. The invitation is out there, if he wants to come and cheer for his favorite Russian, let him...great press for the team.

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | July 7, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if Green will make Team Canada. Depends on how they want to run their defense. There are other good puck movers out there who don't have his speed but also don't make as many mistakes. In a tournament like the Olympics you can't afford to make many mistakes or get caught out of position. I wouldn't be too surprised if they used Niedermayer and Bouwmeester as their strong puck movers and filled out the rest with really solid defensive guys.

Posted by: Stu_c | July 7, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I heard that Obama thinks we need a veteran s@h d-man. Thoughts?

Posted by: Steve_R | July 7, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Obama has buried money for the Caps to get more spending money raising the salary cap in the newest stimulus package. We'll get a D-man worth $2mil a year for $8mil a year. The cool thing is, we don't have to pay for it, our grandchildren will.

Posted by: fanohock1 | July 7, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I think Obama wants not only a S@H D-man but a S@H D-man who likes burgers.

Posted by: JSchon | July 7, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

That's a good point JSchon. Who fits the bill?

Posted by: Steve_R | July 7, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

If the Obama wants a S@H D-man that eats burgers I can do it. I'll do it for free too. Of course I'd get crushed in my 1st shift. At least my skates would have touched NHL ice and I'd go to the hospital in a Caps jersey.

Posted by: fanohock1 | July 7, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, Smaby, from what I hear, can consume his weight in hamburger meat over the course of a week.

Posted by: JSchon | July 7, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

who gives a s*** what obama has to say on ovechkin. the off-season is officially here.

Posted by: nwilson2 | July 7, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

@Lindsey.......I do like the signing of Knuble, but can you lose the Flyers shot..this is the Caps page and this is not the Inquirer.thanks

Posted by: RichC3 | July 7, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

That's impressive. Are buns and ketchup included in that or just meat? I'm guessing all the undigested meat in his colon is what makes him skate so slow.

Posted by: Steve_R | July 7, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1:
that was f'in funny
thanks

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | July 7, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Which is why his nickname is "The Elvis of Minnesota".

Posted by: JSchon | July 7, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Elvis could eat his weight in burgers? That I didn't know.

Posted by: Steve_R | July 7, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

i thought elvis ate peanut butter and banana sandwiches

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | July 7, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I feel sorry for the defensemen that are going to be chasing Ovie, Malkin and Kovalchuk around the ice...at the same time.

Posted by: Moose33 | July 7, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

And to think that OV is the grinder/corner on that line with Geno and KOVa....

Posted by: RichC3 | July 7, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

So we've got 3 guys in camp plus Fedorov and Kozlov. Not too shabby.

Posted by: wis193 | July 7, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Varly will be 3rd netminder at best (if there will be no injuries to Nabokov and Bryzgalov). He will not be overused, just will gain experience.

Speaking about Russian Team, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk will play on different lines allways. So basically it will be like Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Semin and Kovalchuk-Malkin-Frolov. 95%. 2 other lines will be done from KHL players, 80%. We have not much players to think about. Praying for everybody being healthy.

Posted by: Rambutan_ru | July 7, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Hearing just that first line with Ovi and Semin makes it that much more important that I get my tickets to one of their matches at the Vancouver Olympics....=/

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 7, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Obongo probably never heard of Ovechkin until he read that speech.

Posted by: alanb1 | July 7, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

All,

Speaking from the middle, I think the Obama remark has been blown out of proportion. He certainly had more important things to attend to during his first 100 days (and beyond) than a few Caps games. Now, if he doesn't manage to take in a game this coming season, I might change my mind.

Posted by: Terptwin | July 7, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Lindsay,

Thanks for your link to the Mark Nemish article. I was concerned about team conditioning this past December when the Caps were down 7+ plus players. After reading the Hockey Digest article, I feel better about the team's approach to conditioning during and after the season.

Posted by: Terptwin | July 7, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

@alanb1
Whatever you political views, that is a disgusting way to refer to our President. Lets please keep the commentary on hockey and off of politics.

I might add that I think there is no way that President Obama or anyone interested in sports in this area could be unaware of who Ovechkin is, and ANY U.S. President invoking his name can only help the Caps' franchise.

In general I love reading this commentary--I've learned much about hockey and the Caps.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | July 7, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

To me, the olympics are for those mostly anonymous athletes who train their butts off and get to have the spotlights shining on them for a couple weeks every 4 years. I don't want to see these millionaires in the olympics, not in hockey, basketball, tennis or whatever else.

If the truth be told, I bet 90 percent of them don't want to be there either. They just go along for the ride because they're expected to play for their country and they would be criticized if they didn't participate. I'd much rather watch the Miracle on Ice team than the Dream Team.

Posted by: joek443 | July 7, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, do we know when the season starts?

Posted by: mrszilla | July 7, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla
No word yet about the Caps season opener, but it looks like the Bears will be raising the Calder Cup banner October 3rd.
WOOOOO!

Posted by: tess2201 | July 7, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

@ joek443

Blah-blah-blah... Sentimental bullcrap. For your info every hockey player dreams of playing in the Olympics. Read recent comments by Fleury. He said that next to the Stanley Cup it's a dream of every player to win Olympic gold. And I think he was being politically correct when he said that because in reality the Olympic gold is more important. It is surely so for European players. They just won't say it because it's considered heresy over here.

I personally can't wait till the Olympic tournament because it is gourmet hockey. It is the best hockey you'll ever see. The top 6 teams in the world will be loaded and are much better than any NHL team.

That so called Miracle on Ice is just something that happened once. It's a nice story, but an accident and is completely overblown. The USSR took the US team very lightly and had themselves a nice party the night before the game with plenty of vodka flowing because they beat them in the pre-Olympic tournament 8-1 without even breaking a sweat. S**t happens. It's certainly no argument against having the best pros play for their countries.

If you wanna see US college kids play you can watch the world juniors. It's a great tournament for U20 players, but in the Olympics I wanna see the best of the best.

The Russian team will be sick. I like that they included a lot of big players making sure that they won't be pushed around on an NHL size rink. That's the reason Artem Anisimov was picked over many more skilled and proven KHL stars (biggest surprise for me) and with him, Ovie, Artyukhin, Volchenkov and Danny Markov they'll have at least one big hitter on the ice at all times. I think that Viktor Kozlov was also included for his size.

Lastly, no need to worry about Varlamov playing much. Nabokov is penciled in as a clear #1 with Khabi as a backup. Bryzgalov might get in there as well. I doubt Varlamov will see any ice time. He would probably be #3 at best. The only way this will change is if Nabby and Khabi are bombing while Varly is standing in his head next season.

Posted by: ranndino | July 8, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Word has it that Patrick Sharp is on the market in a potential trade for a goaltender to play alongside Huet. Sharp for Theo. PLEASE!!!!!!!

Posted by: wis193 | July 8, 2009 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Forget that list with Khabi and Anisimov. It is a fake one. 100%. AFAIK that one is nhl.com prediction which was done in the winter. There was a mistake. The true list wasn't announced yet =) And there will be no Artyukhin, Anisimov, Kovalev, Khabibulin (yes, will be NO).

In reality we will have something like that:

Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Semin
Kovalchuk-Malkin-Frolov
Saprykin-Fedorov-Radulov
Zaripov-Zinoviev-Morozov

Gonchar, Markov, Tyutin, Volchenkov, Grebeshkov, Tverdovskiy, Kalinin, Nikulin

Nabokov as #1, Brzygalov as #2, Varlamov as #3 (no need to stay on his head - he will get his experience for being #1 next OG)

A couple of players could be involved in case of injuries.

Posted by: Rambutan_ru | July 8, 2009 2:36 AM | Report abuse

@ranndino: I usually think your perspective is spot on but you went a little too far diminishing what the group of college kids accomplished in 1980. Not sure if you are old enough to have experienced it first hand or not but it was a miracle. If those two teams had played 30 more times the USSR would have probably won every game, and handily at that, which makes it more of a miracle. Not sure how that could be overblown. As the movie tried to show too, the US was in a sad state as well. We had the Iranians kicking us around and the world had lost respect for our ability to project power because of how we handled the Vietnam War trying to fight it like a peace keeping mission rather than a true War.

Anyhow, the team Russia will have at the Olympics next year is probably being touted as the best since the collection of talent the USSR put on the ice during the 70's and 80's. There is not any collection of young american kids, 18-24 years of age, without any NHL experience that could even challenge the group of Russians that will be assembled in Vancouver. That was the case at the 1980 Olympics, which again, is the reason it was a miracle, and has not been overblown.

Posted by: fanohock1 | July 8, 2009 6:30 AM | Report abuse

FLYERS SIGN PRONGER - CIRCUMVENT CAP

Ladies and gentlemen, this cap foolery is going way too far. Pronger's 7-year extension takes him until he's 42 years old. The salaries are 7.6, 7.6, 7.2, 7.0, 4.0 and two years at $525K. Wanna bet he doesn't play those last two years?

And he's only 34 (turns 35 this Oct 10th). I think the CBA says if you sign before you are 35, you can retire before the end of the contract and the remaining cap hit evaporates. With a 7-yr, $35M contract, Flyers will be paying over $7M a year but cap hit only $5M a year. This is not what the NHL had in mind when they negotiated a "hard cap."

In addition, when this happens, the rest of the players take a hit. My understanding is the players are guaranteed a certain percentage of total revenue. And the calculation for what the players got paid, as part of that equation, includes actual salaries (incl LTIR) and not cap hit. If the players' pool goes over the limit, each player is docked a percentage. So it is not as if this circumvention can be considered a boon for the players. It hurts the whole league.

Posted by: tominfl1 | July 8, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

tominfl1: you've got my vote in 2012!

Posted by: TenleytownTom | July 8, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Can't the league throw out the contract if it's bogus like that? Erat situation from last year: http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/article/2008-05-14/predators-make-quick-fix-erat-contract

Too busy to do the math.. wouldn't this sort of thing get in the way?

Posted by: thiazzi | July 8, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I honestly think regardless if the player is making millions of dollars or riding a school bus to their games, the dream of playing for your country in the Olympics is one shared by both. With no disrespect to those who want to hold on to the memories of their youth, I don't mind seeing Ovi, Semin, Malkin, and Fedorov on Team Russia nor do I mind seeing the NBA talent on Team USA's basketball team. Assuming that they're just there "for the ride" insults those players who probably do want to be there.

Clamoring for the days of the "Miracle on Ice" just shows your age. Not a bad thing. Not a good thing either when you start stories with "Back in my days..." At that point, we all sorta' tune you out.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 8, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

@tominfl1
There seems to be some confusion over the 35 and over rule. The text is "was 35 or older (as of June 30 prior to the league year in which the SPC is to be effective)". Does that mean this year or next year? Because Pronger is still playing under the last year of his current contract.

Posted by: koalatek | July 8, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

koalatek

That's why it's done as a contract extension rather than waiting as a new contract.

Because it's an extension of an existing contract, the current agreement's start date stays the same - which is before he turned 35.

Posted by: Greg S. | July 8, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

If the President's attendance at a Caps game at the Phone Booth means longer and slower security lines and more intrusive bag searches, I hope he will do us a favor and watch on TV.

Posted by: pirate1 | July 8, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

GregS, the CBA seems to read that an "extension" is really just a new SPC that takes effect immediately after the old one. The 35 over rule would still apply, I think. I suppose if Bettman really does hate the Flyers he could enforce the letter of the CBA.

Posted by: koalatek | July 8, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Moose33 | July 8, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Jiri Hudler signs a deal with Dynamo Moscow of the KHL...one or two year deal depending on where you read it.

Posted by: ThePat | July 8, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Read this on one of the trade rumor website. what do you all think. I rather give them Alzner

John Carlson and Eric Fehr with a 3rd round pick for Kaberle

Posted by: samb99 | July 8, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"The Olympics are meant to bring in the best athletes in each country to compete against eachother. Sending in amateurs would defeat this purpose. Then we would complain that (insert a country name) beat the US and we didn't have our best players play. The Olympics would decide nothing but who the best amateurs in the world are...pointless."

I agree with that 100%. The NHL is a league that is very internationally represented to begin with, what is wrong with having that celebrated and shine on a big world stage?

I imagine that having NHL participants vs NBA participants in the Olympics is slightly different in that many countries can really have a wide selection of players to choose from both in the NHL and in their own professional leagues that are considered the real cream of the crop (then again, I could be wrong).

Now, though I know this would never happen, I would think that perhaps having a (slightly) shorter NHL season during Olympic years can help preserve the quality of competition in both venues.

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | July 8, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Carlson/Fehr for Kaberle makes absolutely no sense, cap wise.

And no. Fehr/some other d prospect maybe..but it doesn't matter since the salary cap will never work. Kaberle brings a 5 mil/yr+ hit.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 8, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I read that as how the cap hit was calculated, not in the determination of the over 35 rule.

Posted by: Greg S. | July 8, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Toronto wouldn't do that deal and neither should we. We are both in identical spots. We have too much D-depth we don't know what to do and other teams recognize that. Both us and Toronto need F's if we trade our D-men. Other teams will sit and wait hoping that they can get a d-men from either of us for just a draft pick would be my guess.

Posted by: ThePat | July 8, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

John Carlson and Eric Fehr with a 3rd round pick for Kaberle

No, no, a 1000 times no.

koalatek: I wish Tarik would do a story on "cap circumvention," as it has come to be, staring with the Vinny L contract, and extending now to Pronger, incl an explanation on why/how Pronger's contract is within the CBA and if he can retire out of the last few years.

I posted about a week ago that there would be more and more ridiculous contracts. 4 yrs at over $7M, one yr at $4M and two years at $525K is absurd. It's obvious he's meant to retire after 4 or 5 yrs and the Flyers avoid approx $8M in cap hit.

Posted by: tominfl1 | July 8, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

I understand your frustration with the way the salary cap works. It works for all 30 teams that way though. Every team should use it to benefit themselves. Nothing is preventing our management from doing so. It is a very smart way to work the system, and if they tried to fix it there would be another way to work the system because the league and NHLPA won't sign any other type of agreement. While outrageous when you look at the contracts it is smart for everyone involved.

That is just my opinion

Posted by: ThePat | July 8, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Hudler only signed for 2 mil?

Hm...he could have made more here...

Posted by: richmondphil | July 8, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

And yes, I know it is tax free.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 8, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

i dont under stand y we dont sign a 2nd line center we probalbly could even sign a winger and shift positions a little two free agents that i would love for us to pick up are alex tanguayor saku koivu if they dont get them i think we should give grier another shot

Posted by: funkyroyal38 | July 8, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

What money are we going to use to sign Tanuguay, Koivu, or Grier?

Posted by: richmondphil | July 8, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

We'll pay them under the table. It's all good.

Posted by: wis193 | July 8, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

We'll pay them under the table. It's all good.

Posted by: wis193 | July 8, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I still like my hypothetical Patrick Sharp for Theo trade.

Posted by: wis193 | July 8, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Sharp for Theo is a great video game trade. I'll eat my hat if it happens in real life, though.

Posted by: thiazzi | July 8, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

purgatory: The time frame between the end of your favorite hockey team's season and the beginning of the next. *sigh*

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 8, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

So apparently the League and the Flyers indeed have differing opinions of the 35 and over rule according to Dreger's blog on TSN.

Posted by: koalatek | July 8, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Just for S's & G's, our favorite post-concussion Defenseman.

(yea I know it's not him, but maybe it's something he can look into when he retires, he's got the right name and he's a Massachusetts kid.)

Posted by: superpaqman | July 8, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

The President mentioned Ovechkin to the Russian President just to curry favor with him and Putin. Not that the President knows anything about hockey or for that matter the economy. Down in flames. He won't come to a hockey game.

Posted by: zcxnissan | July 9, 2009 4:50 AM | Report abuse

Way to stay relative and on top of things. Don't worry Obama, we know you know nothing about hockey, so feel free to not come to any games.

Posted by: futbolclif | July 9, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse