Odds And Ends From KCI

As you can see, today has been busy out here at KCI. But there was a lot of stuff I couldn't fit into the previous entries. Here are those odds and ends:

*Today's practice consisted of a lot of systems work. But anybody who watched last night's 5-4 loss to Los Angeles probably could have predicted that.

"When one guy is not doing his job at the right time at the right place, that exposes other guys," defenseman Tom Poti said. "We have to move as a five-man unit. If one guys is a little bit late, or a little bit off his positioning, it kind of screws everything up. Everyone is wonder, 'Who should I cover? What should I do? That results in the long passes, guys getting open and giving up the breakaways. Everybody was a little bit off, and it showed. It's a good thing we practiced it today."

Defenseman Mike Green concurred, adding: "With our system, you are responsible for your guy, and if you don't cover him, then you're letting your team down. If you don't, mistakes happen and it's in your net."

*Brooks Laich (leg contusion) and Viktor Kozlov (groin) did not practice today. It's possible Laich will return tomorrow, but Kozlov has been ruled out, according to GM George McPhee.

If Laich can't go, the Caps will have to recall a forward.

*Karl Alzner said he's recently given up a lot of the superstitions for which he had become known, and that's helped him relax and focus more on his game.

"It's frustrating," Alzner said of being sent down. "Because this is where I would like to be all the time. But at the same time, going down to Hershey was the best thing for me at this stage. I thought my game wasn't at its best the last little time I was here. I let go of a lot of superstitions. I relaxed so much before game. I felt so confident and played four really good games. I feel so much more free."

"The little [superstitions] that I thought were really dumb, I just let them go. In terms of tape and equipment placement and stuff I do when I get dressed. I just felt, you know, there's no point. I might as well forget about it and just play the way that I can play without worrying about anything outside of [hockey]. It worked out pretty good."

"I spent so much energy focusing on those things," he added. "Now when I go on the ice, I'm only thinking about the game. I'm not thinking about if I have my glove off when the puck is dropped. I just play. Now everything I do know is just considered my routine."

*Michal Neuvirth, if he is still in Washington next weekend, said the coaching staff has indicated to him that he could see his first NHL start in Tampa or Sunshine, Fla. next weekend.

That's it for now. I've got to write a story for the paper, do T.V. and calculate some expenses. But I'll check in again if any comes else comes up.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 6, 2009; 2:20 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McPhee on Kronwall: 'We'll Take A Look'
Next: Giroux Recalled; Kronwall Here, Too (Update)

Comments

jesus christ you are EARNING your paycheck today son..

Posted by: sexypills03 | February 6, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Are you getting paid by the post/update today!?!?

Posted by: dcox50 | February 6, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Aside from the props on the postcount today, can I get dibs on the moustache?

Posted by: Section117 | February 6, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Geez, last time.

Brought over...Tarik is busy.

Hey all, sidenote.

I think I can roll a suite for 12 tomorrow night for the Panthers. It looks probable - are there eleven others that want in at $42 per? People could actually yell at each other in person...great fun. Maybe everyone wears a nametag with their blog nom de guerre. I think I'll have two parking passes for anyone who might need them. Let me know here if you're interested and I'll see if I can close the deal. No serial killers! Or, email me at gotodd_99 at yahoo dot com. I might spring for the opening beers.

Posted by: saintex | February 6, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I feel the same way Karl. I used to drink a Miller Lite in the first..a Bud Light in the second...and a Michelob in the 3rd.

Now I just drink liquor and concentrate on the game.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 6, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

@ Tarik-

I know you are busy but if you check back in do you think a trade is in the near future? Or is the 8 defenceman being here just hoping it will push one or two of the others that haven't been playing well. Thanks.

Posted by: ThePat | February 6, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

It's gotta be a D upgrade coming. Especially now that we're throwing the kiddies into the net.

right? :)

Posted by: austinsteve | February 6, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

If gmgm is serious about not looking for another goalie, I applaud him. We can do with the youngsters until Johnny is back.

If Varly is healthy, well, he's good. I'm still impressed by how he played in Montreal. That was playoffs atmosphere, playoffs net-crashing, and he not only survived but played one hell of a game.

Very good news about Alzner as well. However I would sit (and trade) Schultz, not Erskine. Looks like Kronwall is playing good in the AHL, 25 points? I have no idea who he is... anybody has more clues on him?

Overall, I feel comforted in that management is watching and might take action.

Posted by: mauree | February 6, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Great new player survey on ESPN.com.

Player you would most like to switch places with--Ovie

Player that complains the most--Crosby with 52% of the vote

Second for most underrated--Greenie

Posted by: docjohnson | February 6, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Possibly the Kronwell signing is just taking a chance on a guy that only is get paid 87k and GMGM is hoping he finds a steal on a potentially good dman. Otherwise he is just playing us like usual and we are going to see a fun day come the deadline.

Posted by: midnightrush1 | February 6, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

About Manny Legace. His last 2 games:

0-0-0, 5.74, .600

His salary is $2.5M

I wouldn't take him on re-entry waivers.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 6, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Green and Semin for Bouwmeister.

Posted by: terenceburke | February 6, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Also understand that he's being waived by the team in 25th place in the league. If he isn't good enough to be a back-up to their goalie, what makes you think he'd be a backup to the goalie of the #4 team in the league?

Posted by: Greg S. | February 6, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

terenceburke

I'm SOOOO glad you're not the Caps GM.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 6, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Terenceburke = cookoo

Posted by: DaleHunter | February 6, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I'm down in south Florida. You should see this kid play. It's an idea. No need to make it personal dude.

Posted by: terenceburke | February 6, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S. - Amen to that. There's a reason he got sent down on waivers! I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

@saintex: (repost) I'm in on your suite deal. Look for an email from me.

I also see the wisdom of going with the kids. We have time to see whether Johnny's going to be good for the playoffs or not and nothing on offer in the league really excites me. (This will not stop the half of the league that is looking for scoring forwards from floating a goalie at us.) Varly was living on a wing and a prayer in Montreal, but his second game was pretty solid. I want to see what both kids can do, and as someone put it in the draft last year, never play poker with George McPhee.

I suspect that Mo, Schultz, Jurcina, and Erskine are all on very serious warning. Shape up or ride the pine.

Concur with midnightrush1. Kronwall is a steal if he pans out.

Also concur that we're almost guaranteed to make noise at the deadline, and I'd be willing to bet half the league is eyeing Hershey right now to see what they might want to ask for.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 6, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

terenceburke must be that person I heard screaming "Take Green off the powerplay!" over the weekend......

Posted by: RedBirdie | February 6, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

terenceburke, are you a flyers fan?

Posted by: opita1 | February 6, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

terenceburke,
forgive them. they just dont see the inherent wisdom in trading two of the brightest young stars (and who you have built much of your marketing around) on the team for a player who will be a free agent in five months. then again, up here we don't get the chance to be in the hot sun as much as you do down in fla.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | February 6, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@kitty,

I sent you and e-mail.

Posted by: saintex | February 6, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@ terenceburke, nothing personal. I just happen to think that is a crazy trade proposal

Posted by: DaleHunter | February 6, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

No RedBirdie, it was "take him off the ice".

Posted by: terenceburke | February 6, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I think Terence Burke is a Panthers fan...

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | February 6, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

From an earlier post by overhead

I am trying to dig up specific responsibilities for each player in the "system" in different situations. The question about the system comes after much complaining out loud during games and having my GF finally ask who should have been doing "what". I said actually I am not sure. And then, as she is often want to do, she killed my ego with the "don't you play hockey, shouldn't you know?" ;)

Posted by: overhead | February 6, 2009 11:29 AM

It's a stage production. The system is the play and the players play their roles.

There are the offensive players, Ovie, Semin, Green, Fehr, Fleishman. Some are feeders like Backstrom, Kozlov, Nylander. Some are more crash and bangers like Brashear, Erskine, Gordon. There are defensive oriented like Alzner, Schultz, Morrisonn.

The objective is to pair up players to fit the style of play you want. The Caps have an offensive style, so you want more of the feeders and scorers. You can't ignore the defense though. So if you put out Green, an offensive minded defenseman, you'd better have an Erskine or Schultz on the other side.

Bruce puts a twist on the style of play. He figures if the other team can't get the puck out of their zone, you'll maximize your scoring opportunities, and minimize theirs. When there's a turn-0ver you'll see the Caps backchecking and pressing trying to take the puck away. That's also part of the system. Everyone's responsible for that.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 6, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

opita1 I'm a caps fan.

Posted by: terenceburke | February 6, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Another part of the system you'll see is in the shift after the Caps score. You'll see the "energy" line with Brashear, Gordon, Bradley or Steckel. After a goal, the other team often has a spurt of energy. The coach will put out their best line. Bruce puts out this line to deflate them. Have you heard the crunches Brashear his line put on the other teams? I can feel them watching TV. That's part of his system.

If we need to kill time, Nylander or Kozlov comes out. If we need to press you'll see Ovie and Green with Backstrom and Semin.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 6, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Even though he scored one and assisted on the last goal, Green needs to be on the list to sit as well. No hustle, weak attempts to flip into the zone and weak passes, etc. Not all was his fault, but I think it was the first goal agains was all on him.

Posted by: Chucks20707 | February 6, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

@saintex: responded :) Thanks.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 6, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

At the risk of going down the Bouwmeester road again, you run the risk of weakening your team by throwing that deal at the feet of a division rival who is in the 8 seed and pushing for more.

Posted by: Section117 | February 6, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

...If we need to kill time, Nylander...comes out....
Posted by: Greg S. | February 6, 2009 3:14 PM

------

No, if Bruce decides that the red-clad faithful need a quick nap, or refill thir beer, that's why Nylander (or as the guy in my row refers to him as, Toepick) comes out!

Posted by: RedBirdie | February 6, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

@terenceburke

i wouldn't even trade green for boumeister straight up let alone green and semin in the trade

Posted by: _stevo | February 6, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

@saintex - Count me in on that suite. I e-mailed you from my work addy a few minutes ago... ~S

Posted by: irockthered | February 6, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Nylander can take more time off a clock than any player I've seen in the NHL. Yes, he's a snoozer when he does that. And I've seen a few fans nodding off, too when he does this. But if it's the end of the period or game and I'm in shutdown mode, I'll put him on.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 6, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

One thing I'd sort of like to see is - what's Kronwall's take on all this? I've got to think that this is a pretty sweet deal for him - I don't know what his personal situation is, whether he's got a family or anything to think about or move - but being claimed off of re-entry waivers and going from a low team to a contender - if I were him, this'd be a huge chance and I'd be pretty stoked.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 6, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Does Kronwaall have to stay up for the rest of the year? will he have to clear waivers if he can be sent down? thanks for the clarification

Posted by: wendel2 | February 6, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow, a lot has transpired today.

If Laich cannot go, and with Viktor already out, who is the best forward to get from Hershey?

Wonder what the pairings will be like. I expect to see Jurcina/Alzner, but wonder if we will see Green/Mo and Poti/Schultz. Since it looks like the team is hell-bent on Schultz, could he benefit more by playing with Poti?

Posted by: Kim-3 | February 6, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S. - Actually, I looked at more than just recent history on Legace... if you just take a snapshot, anyone can look better or worse than they actually are.

I did read the wrong column for salary, and he is $2.5 this season, not $1.8, and that does make a bit of difference... From the bit of looking I've been able to do, it appears he's had some confidence trouble since going to St. Louis, and it sounds like it's getting to him badly. But Legace is .912 career, with a 2.38 GAA, and he's been to the playoffs five times with the Red Wings...

I'm not suggesting that we should pounce on him right this instant, but he does at least merit half a sniff, I'd think... ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | February 6, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: irockthered | February 6, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I believe Kromwell would need to clear waivers to be sent down. The Caps can't trade him for the rest of the season if I'm reading the CBA right.

Posted by: koalatek | February 6, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

There's one line up change I can't figure out why BB hasn't made a long time ago. That is, put Fedorov on defense PERMANENTLY. His days as a top flight centerman are long gone. Yeah sure, every once in a blue moon you'll see flashes of what once was. But, night in and night out, the Caps are most definitely NOT GETTING MUCH BOUNCE FOR THEIR BUCK. And, this lame explanation of BB's that Fedorov brings so many "Intangibles" to the table, he "Couldn't care less how many points he scores" is ludicrous, at best. My response to that is, "WHAT intangibles?" Simply put, what is Fedorov doing to justify his $ 4,000,000 salary, and his being ( Now) the team's 1st line center? He obviously isn't helping to get the team ready to play every night. And, don't tell me winning the majority of his face offs is an adequate explanation. That's weak!
Conversely, i think he's proven to have an enormously positive influence while playing as a defenseman. He seems to ALWAYS make the correct decisions with the puck. I can't think of one other defenseman being anywhere near as consistent in that regard. To my thinking, IT'S A NO - BRAINER. PUT FEDOROV ON DEFENSE, AND LEAVE HIM THERE! How obvious can it be?

Posted by: Puckguru | February 6, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

All I know about Staffan Kronwall is that he's Niklas Kronwall's baby brother. There's no bio on his AHL page that I can find...

Posted by: irockthered | February 6, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Wendel2

My understanding is if he is sent down he'd have to clear, and on the return as well.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 6, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

@puckguru

did you happen to notice that as soon as Feds was moved to the 1st line, Ovechkin scored 5 goals in 2 days? I believe Feds had assists on at least 4 of them...someone correct me if i'm wrong?

Posted by: sirbobalew | February 6, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

@sir,

I believe you are correct. What Feds also provides is some extra defensive acumen on the ice. He is a dang good defenseman if needed but I like him at center.

Posted by: saintex | February 6, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Good post, Puckguru!

I agree with a lot of what you have to say about his offensive skills. He's become more of a defensive minded forward. Frankly, I like him on PP up on the point. of course, he can still pass like a deamon and does nice feeds to his other forwards. His shot is still heavy, and he doesn't have many brain cramps with the puck.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 6, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

i like federov at center and keep fehr off that top line. the defensive break downs last night were pathetic. hopefully alzner will help that a bit.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | February 6, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

@sirbobalew - Fedorov assisted on all three goals of Ovi's hat trick against the Senators.

Posted by: irockthered | February 6, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

who IS this cramwheel guy anyway?

Posted by: boyd_gordon_shootout_specialist | February 6, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

i sure hope he's RED, thats for sure

As for "intangibles," Semin and Ovechkin don't play as cutesy when Fedorov is on their line. He brings a level of defensive responsibility that the younger guys just don't have all the time yet. And you see in the Senators game what happens when we don't get cute and just play straight-up hockey...

Posted by: irockthered | February 6, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: irockthered | February 6, 2009 3:42 PM

-------------

Baby Kronwall's NHL.com page: http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470058

it's been change already to reflect he's a Cap.

Posted by: RedBirdie | February 6, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

@irock

thanks. I was just too lazy to look it up myself.

Posted by: sirbobalew | February 6, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

SA town= Great comment! Thanks, made me laugh...
IMO, Absolutely need a goalie, a tough "stay-at-home" D-man, and a toug-as-nails forward willing to crash the net and take the punishment while standing in the crease during the man advantage. It just seems that we don't have the guys that are able to do that, or nobody's willing to do it. Either way, we need 'em. If GMGM goes out to get the kind of players we need, be prepared to lose a couple of favorites.

Posted by: al852 | February 6, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

@Chucks20707

Mike Green could stop at the blue line and lay down for a nap and not do anything else until the puck comes back out and BB probably wouldn't sit him. He will make some lapses, but he does hustle and no coach in his right mind would sit a defenseman who has 44 points in 40 games. Defense is the toughest position to learn -he will make mistakes but he will also get a lot better. Don't expect his defensive abilities to catch up to his offensive abilities for awhile.

Posted by: Roose | February 6, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S. Thanks again.

I understand what you posted, I get that. My guess is to get the detail I am looking for is going to require more space than this format will allow.

Here is an example, in the post Tarik wrote:

What I want to learn is what is everyone's job in this "system". Is it your standard set up with more focus on moving the puck and being aggressive or is there more than that to it? I have a strong understanding of what each positions players job is generally, but when I read something like this I assume there maybe something different here. I want to know who should be covering who etc. Basically the things Poti mentions here. Like I said, probably more detail than can be covered in this format.

Thanks again .

Posted by: overhead | February 6, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Kronwall's 26 YO defenseman, left shot (another one - could use a right shot but then so could the rest of the NHL). He's a career minor leaguer. I don't think he'll be the panacea for all our defensive woes by a long shot.

My guess is he'll go to DC for evaluation and then be sent to Hershey without going on the Cap's roster. He's there to fill in for Alzner when he comes up. We may see him next year sometime, or if there's an injury during the playoffs.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 6, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

@boyd_gordon_shootout_specialist - Staffan Kronwall is Niklas Kronwall's younger brother. Other than that? He's a 6'4", 209# defenseman from Jarfalla, Sweden, with a decent record. He shoots left-handed, and you can find his record here.

Kronwall's great size is his most obvious asset. Known mostly as a defensive defenseman, he has managed to collect a few assists early this season as well. Kronwall plays a similar game to fellow Leafs prospect Jay Harrison, and much of his success has come from his increased physical play, as evidenced by his increase in penalty minutes this season. - From http://www.hockeysfuture.com/

Posted by: irockthered | February 6, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I think everyone is SEVERELY underestimating Neuvirth. He may not be as acrobatic as Varlamov, but he's got a much steadier style of play-- he's calm and aware and you'll find him playing in a technically sound way more often than Varlamov does.

Sure, Varlamov is probably the more gifted of the two and he's also had a lot more playtime with Hershey than Neuvirth has with SC. But if you stuck both in a starting position in the NHL right now, I couldn't predict who would find their game faster.

To be honest, if I had to pick one to ride into the playoffs, it would be Neuvirth. He's the more predictable and consistent of the two: you'd be able to bank on a certain amount of quality goaltending from him in every game.

Posted by: threesilhouettes | February 6, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Giroux on the Feds, Ovie line-he's big like Kozlov with good hands and speed. Maybe not as good as Kozlov in the corners but he's better in the slot area and and good at finding seams. Fehr doesn't fit with Feds and Ovie...keep him with Backstrom and Flash, they mesh well. Then Nylander, Semin, and Laich. Let Bradley, Steckel, Gordon and Brashear battle for the fourth line.

Posted by: meagle | February 6, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

So cover your guy!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 6, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Ms. irockthered. I was being facetious, due to everyone spelling the poor guy's name wrong.
I sincerely appreciate the effort you put into explaining it to me though.

On a lighter note, do you drive an iroc, irockthered? Cuz that'd be sweet.

Posted by: boyd_gordon_shootout_specialist | February 6, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

overhead

Poti is more of an offensive defenseman though not to the extent that Green is. His job is to think more like a forward than a defenseman. He'll be paired with a Morrisonn or Schultz.

If either of them doesn't play their position correctly when Poti's in deep, it's a simple clearing shot for the defense to pass it to a winger and they have a scoring opportunity. The Schultz or Mo would have to play their position properly if Poti's in deep so there isn't a 1 on 0 break. He certainly can't try to pinch in to keep the puck in the zone.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 6, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

BB on shorthanded goals scored against Caps in last two games
“Not good. I told you it was sloppy. I don’t say that to be mean to our team, mean to the guys. It’s what I know. I live with these guys every day. You saw some of those power plays out there, they were not sharp. It’s something we have to work on. I don’t say it for the good of my health.”

What I don't get is, all year long our PP has been giving up shorthanded breakaways. Why only address it now? This has been building all season long.

Mike Green: On the short-handed chances and recent short-handed goals, including tonight…
“Not smart hockey. Every team is coming at us because they know we’ve given up a few. We just gotta be aware.”

YOU gotta be aware buddy. Instead of worrying about all-star games and signing autographs maybe you should pay attention to your lousy defensive game which is getting worse each season, not better

Brads: On his fight with Kings Defenseman Matt Greene being a momentum changer for the Caps…
“Obviously we were playing from behind at that time. I thought I might as well try something to get the guys going, but we’re not prepared to play some games and we’re going to have to address that.”

Again, a season long trend where they're not ready to play games.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 6, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Again, a season long trend where they're not ready to play games.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 6, 2009 4:26 PM

So, propose something.

Posted by: Section117 | February 6, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

another season long trend, they beat the top teams in the east. i'll take that even with the occassional nap against the lesser lights. last time i checked, only the best teams in each conference make the playoffs and the playoffs are all i care about. i've been a caps fan too long to get up or down about the regular season...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | February 6, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

@Section117: He won't because he doesn't have any any more than the rest of us do. He's one of the cockroaches I was referring to earlier. The only thing we have here on this blog that passes for a can of Raid is a Caps win.

I do think that it comes down to us not being up for some games. When we show up, boy howdy do we. When we don't, it's a disaster. How to fix that? It's a mental thing that's between BB and the guys - and both have a part before you start in on BB. It's not all on one or all on the other. It's on both sides. About all we can do is pontificate and try to sound smart on blogs. (Hint: More of us fail than succeed.)

One thing, though - rehashing and fratching back and forth about what all of us know isn't getting anyone anywhere. For those of you advocating for trading for everything - ask Don Waddell how smart it is to trade the future away for playoff success now. Let's not go haring off in search of everything under the sun and get fleeced for some key piece to our future in our haste.

I think our only real "need" is a physical defenseman who can clear the crease and keep it clear. I'm not against the idea of putting Fedorov on the blueline, but he works as a center too. I think we need to wait and see what the story with Johnson will be and how Neuvirth fares in the NHL before we make any decisions in goal. The forward is probably the lowest priority. We're getting scoring, one way or another - it's the goals we're giving up that are killing us.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 6, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

i didnt think Neuvirth looked so great in the preseason.

Posted by: doughless | February 6, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

threesilhouettes - someone can correct me here, but we had a young "technicallly sound" goalie here a while back named Oullette, he didnt fair too well I believe, so hopefully Nuevirth has more than technical skills.

Posted by: superpaqman | February 6, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton

Why do you waste your time in here?
Dont you have something else to do that people actually appreciate you for?

Posted by: JSchon | February 6, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

i didnt think Neuvirth looked so great in the preseason.

Posted by: doughless | February 6, 2009 4:49 PM

He was fine after he allowed a couple of quick ones. His rebound control was a little off, but Ive seen him play four times since, and he looks like he has the potential to be a really solid NHLer.

Posted by: thegr8one | February 6, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

LOL!!

"someone can correct me here, but..."

Count on it!

Posted by: Greg S. | February 6, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I wish Brashear would take the same iniative :(

Posted by: thegr8one | February 6, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

initiative*

Posted by: thegr8one | February 6, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Caps Fans:

Want a Team Signed Caps Jersey?

Want to help a good cause?

Help the Washington Little Capitals PeeWee Major team raise funds to go to the famous Quebec Hockey Tournament.

Bid on one here:

c'mon, it's for the kids!!

What is up with the new guy? Trade coming!

Posted by: WhyGo | February 6, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Greg S. - Bring it on, because its already been brought it.

Posted by: superpaqman | February 6, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Neuvirth might be great. Then again, he's gonna have to play in the NHL first before we know. Give it a little time before we decide whether we're underestimating him.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 6, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

So is Neuvirthy/Varlamov the new Kolzig/Dafoe? Eventually one will have the gig and the other will be a starter elsewhere in the league? Seems plausible to me.

Is Feds worth 4M? Who knows. But Feds thinks he worth 4M, and everything I read was that Feds wanted 4M, take it or leave it. If Caps wouldn't give it, he would look for another team. If they wouldn't give it, then he would retire.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | February 6, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Oldtime--
Does that make McCheese the new Jim Carey?

Posted by: C-way | February 6, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea of rotating Lord Varlamov and Neuvirth. It gets them both a little NHL ice time, aregular AHL ice team and reminds JT that he can't get too comfy.

Posted by: TheCapitalist1 | February 6, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

One bad game and the bashers are back. These kids just completed impressive games against Detroit and Jersey, yet "let's ship off Green and Semin for Meester" to correct all this. Garbage!
If you enjoy quick-paced, exciting hockey, and appreciate the fact that the Caps have re-built with youth, then give them a break while they develop into seasoned veterans. In time, the mistakes will be fewer and the plus/minuses will improve with these kids. They are 20-25 years old, and even with all of this "horrific" play, look where we sit in the standings. I could consider your whining if we were, unfortunately, born Penguin's fans - look where they are.

Posted by: gonchpup | February 6, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

These games don't matter until the playoffs. Just have to get in to win. No one cares who won which division in June. Its one meaningless regular season game among many. The Caps will be in the playoff and make hay there when it matters.

Posted by: lornemyoung | February 6, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

To those attempting to justify Fedorov's playing on the 1st line by citing that he's assisted on a couple of Ov's goals, my response is, "DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH." Tell me someone who CAN'T assist on the vast majority of Ov's goals. Hell, I could assist on his goals and I'm an old man.(smile) The plain truth is that just about ANYONE can get assists playing with Ovechkin. Basically, all he needs you to do is give him the puck, AND GET THE HECK OUT OF HIS WAY. Shucks, Novotny assisted Ov. As did Kris Beech and a lot of other nobodies. For $ 4,000,000 per, I expect a whole lot more than Fedorov has contributed thusfar. And again, moving Feds to defense would be like "Killing two birds with one stone." You'd have a rock solid, dependable Dman back there ( Instead of Schultz or Erskine ), and it would solve the minutes problem for guys like Nystrom. I just feel moving him to defense would be a really smart way of getting the maximum out of the roster. Opinions anyone?

Posted by: Puckguru | February 6, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Giroux was recalled

Posted by: cocorules | February 6, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

End of the 1st period: Bears leading Philly 3-1; Bears goals from Mink, A.Gordon, and Wilson.

Posted by: tess2201 | February 6, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

puck"guru", in my opinion, feds is here for one reason and one reason only. playoffs. that's why he was brought here last year and thats why he's still here. you may not think much of him as a center now, and i think his injury has had a lot to do with it. but think of what a smart, two way center w/ experience will do for this team in a deep playoff run. and yes, having a guy who can also play dman is huge.

he's not a full time dman. he can't log the minutes that a dman needs to. this team needs a crease clearing dman, not another puck rushing dman. i trust that if BB thought he'd be better on d, he'd be there.

and contrary to your assertion, not everyone can be ovie's set up man. yes, anyone can pass the puck up to him in the neutral zone and let him do his thing. it takes someone like feds, backs, etc to make the pass through the crease or circle to circle for the set up. most teams arent just leaving him wide open. takes some skill to get him the puck or draw players away to open him up for the shot.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | February 6, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Bears game: End of the second, Bears lead 4-3. Second period goal by Tyler Sloan. Bears outshooting Phantoms 25-9. That means Cheese gave up 3 goals on only 9 shots.

Posted by: tess2201 | February 6, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, he looked pretty good centering Ovi and Semin in the worlds.

I thought $4M was steep, I still do. I also thought him on defense was great as he made Jurcina look legit.

I wouldn't mind seeing him go back to the blueline, but I also have no problem with him as a center on either the 1st of 2nd line.

I also wouldn't mind him coming back next season at a reduced salary.

Posted by: JSchon | February 6, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I guess what I was trying to say is that I have no problem with Fedorov, his play or position.

Posted by: JSchon | February 6, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

JSchon:
Agreed. And I wouldn't be surprised to see him back next year (although it would have to be a reduced price). He's getting close to the 500 goal mark and he might want to play next year to try and hit it. Plus it's an olympic year, and what better way to get in shape for team russia than playing with the Caps.

Posted by: tess2201 | February 6, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

If Nylander starts to play like HE IS SUPPOSED too, then Fedorov on the blueline would be easier transition.

Everyone should want Nylander playing well, EVERYONE. He plays well, we are better and his stock rises as the TDL looms.

Fedorov on the BL and a underachieving Nyls means we only have 1 legit C, Backstrom. Laich, Kozlov, Steckel and Gordon are nice pivots but definitely not in the same class.

Posted by: JSchon | February 6, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

@ kittypawz

Well said. Especially "For those of you advocating for trading for everything - ask Don Waddell how smart it is to trade the future away for playoff success now. Let's not go haring off in search of everything under the sun and get fleeced for some key piece to our future in our haste."

Fortunately, it matters not a whit what anyone posts as a comment to this blog as far as what the team actually does on the ice or in the front office.

I am one that believes that GMGM is learning more all the time, and has proven to be a smart cookie, and expect that when

Posted by: Baildog | February 6, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Personally I think people are selling Feds short. 18 points in 26 games is not bad at all, considering it was obvious the few games he kept trying to come back after the ankle (an injury he's never had before) you could tell he wasn't himself. I've seen his stride and confidence grow in each of the past few games, I definitely saw an old Fed moment last night when he suddenly turned on the jets wide and got a good backhander on net.

His points per game would probably be higher if he had been healthy all year, maybe not as high as Backstrom's but his numbers kill Nylander. Having him play D for us was a luxury when we didn't want to bring Alzner up early...and yes he made Juice play better, but wasn't it not too long ago we all noted how great Juice was looking paired with Alzner? I still don't like the idea of Gordon or Steckel centering a 3rd scoring line, Gordon is definitely a 4th line center, Steckel in another year or two might be the 3rd line type of guy. We need Feds and Nyl to anchor the other 2 scoring lines.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 6, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Bears win 5-3.

Posted by: tess2201 | February 6, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who did not know that there was a Slap Shot THREE?!? Anything with Leslie Nielsen is worth watching. This should be interesting ...

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 6, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

@Puckguru

I think Fed is not 100% yet, but he's getting better every game. You're describing his "o" contribution as a disaster and I don't agree with that.

Fed can add a lot to our D in term of discipline and organization, I agree... but our biggest problem is that the lack of tough, big bodies capable of clearing the crease consistently.

I think Fed will be 100% by the playoffs, and will be better on offense. His contribution will be very valuable by then.

Posted by: mauree | February 6, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Staffan is tough: http://tinyurl.com/covm4n

Tarik,
Is it true? http://tinyurl.com/bbyryh

Posted by: CodePoetry | February 6, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

@CodePoetry,

It's true. But I've never been paid extra for blogging and they don't ask me to chat much these days. It stinks, but it's not really going to make a big dent in my bottom line.

--Tarik

Posted by: el_bashir | February 6, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't disagree more, with those proclaiming that the Caps have "Enough" puck moving defensemen. My response to that is a resounding, "Who are they?" Green is one. But, he's a defensive liability. Some might argue that Poti fits that description, but my response would be, "Maybe. But he's hurt all the time." He missed significant playing time last year too. Remember? And, I fully expect him to "Pull" something else any day now. So, he's certainly not the overly reliable type. Other than those two ( With all of their warts ) who else even remotely fits the description of "Puck moving" Dman? Schultz? Not hardly. Erskine? Haha.. Certainly not Juice or ShaMo. So, who? Fact is that Feds is, by far, the most reliable, consistent puck moving Dman on the roster. HANDS DOWN.
When asked over two months ago how he felt about playing defense full time, he made it quite plain he'd welcome it. Among his reasons were 1. It would be easier on his shoulders ( Chronic pain ), and 2. Playing defense is much easier on his legs because he wouldn't have to skate nearly as far. Again, from where I sit, it's a no brainer.
As far as him being retained primarily for a "Deep" playoff run, as one suggested. That's presupposing they'll make it "Deep" into the playoff. Of which there's no guarantee. That kind of reasoning is a classic example of, "Putting the cart, before the horse."
Someone else tried comparing Fedorov's skills with those of the other centermen. Not a good idea, IMHO. Gordon, Steckel, and Laich have completely different roles to fill than Feds. They're all basically grinders. Feds certainly is not. So, to compare him with them, is like attempting to compare apples with oranges.
If BB is anywhere near as astute as he should be, I fully EXPECT Fedorov to be on the blue line once the playoffs begin. I know that's what I'd do. For sure!

Posted by: Puckguru | February 6, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

@Puckguru

What if there is roster move made to bring in somebody?

Posted by: JSchon | February 6, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

What I remember is that he said he'd be available to play on D, but it wouldn't be his first choice.

I'm not arguing that he'd be an upgrade on Schultz - duh! - what I'm saying is that a puck moving d-man is not our first priority - a S@H tough clearing the crease one is. Also, if Alzner can play, he's a better D-man than Fed imho.

Posted by: mauree | February 6, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Having Alzner play D and Fedorov play C is greater than having Fedorov play D and Alzner in Hershey.

Posted by: JSchon | February 6, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Although...

Green/Alzner
Fedorov/Jurcina
Poti/Erskine/Schultz or Kronwall

Posted by: JSchon | February 6, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

look at legace past numbers.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 6, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: terenceburke | February 6, 2009 2:59 PM

It's personal when you're trying to trade off two very skilled players from the Caps, one of which is my favorite player. As it was posted, glad you're not the GM for the Caps. Glad also you're in Florida. Stay there.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 6, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Puckguru, when you call Gordo, Stex, and Laich grinders, that only seems to support all the more that we need Feds centering a scoring line. If you solve the D problem by only creating a lack of scoring depth down the middle it doesn't seem to be an ideal solution. Alzner should help shore up some problems and it gives you the option of playing the "hot" D men and sitting others.

Also I don't know where this "Green is a liability on D" comes from. Does he take chances? Sure. Make some turnovers when trying to make a high risk/high reward pass? Definitely. But when you have the 2nd best +/- rating on the team (+19 behind Semin's +24) and over half of his points have come on the powerplay he must not be doing that poorly defensively. We just tend to magnify and over-analyze his turnovers vs. Ovie or Semin's because he's a D man. I think he's done a fine job of taking calculated risks and getting better at it all the time. When he's back on D he does very well, and his speed and reach helps him recover even when he had joined the rush up ice.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 6, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

green and possibly semin both have higher stock than JayBo, that trade doesn't make any sense. JayBo is amazingly good though.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 7, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

@ Davethecapsfan,
It's obvious we have a difference in philosophy. You seem to emphasize scoring, much more than I do. Your assertion that having Feds play D weakens us down the middle, is one I totally disagree with. There's an old adage which goes, "Offense puts meat in the seats. Defense wins championships." NOTHING could be more accurate. The stronger your defense is, the less number of goals are necessary to win. And even more to the point, where is it written that you need X number of so - called "Scoring centers?" I always thought a centerman's primary responsibility was to dish to his wingers. That's why I'm so excited about the prospect of Mathew Perreault ( currently playing for Hershey ) playing for The Caps sometime soon( In the next year and a half, or so.) He can REALLY dish it! I value the ability to distribute the puck AND PLAY TOUGH, HARD NOSED HOCKEY, more than I value your prototype "Scoring " center. Which reminds me of Bryan Sutherby. Man, how I wish George hadn't given him up like that. I loved his game. No, he was never going to score much, but gosh was he ever your consumate "Team" player. He was fearless! He never hesitated to stand up for his team mates. And he was tough as nails in the corners, and along the boards. I'd trade him for Fedorov 8 days a week, if I could. You can't score every game. But, you can certainly do all the things Sutherby did, game in and game out. You win championships with guys like Sutherby. Other than his refusal to drop the gloves, Boyd Gordon is the closest thing to Suds we now have. And, oh, by the way, Gordon plays center.
What it really comes down to is having the proper balance of grit and finess. Right now, unfortunately, the Caps are way out of balance with too much finess. Come the playoffs, I assure you that will be a distinct disadvantage ------------- just as it was last year. Right now we have way too much RAZZLE DAZZLE. Not enough HEART, SOUL, and GRIT!

Posted by: Puckguru | February 7, 2009 2:17 AM | Report abuse

I only included the offensive stats in my Feds discussion because your earlier posts tried to paint him as a poor offensive performer this season which I felt was not the case. He does a lot of good defensively at the pivot spot already, I don't think we need to move him back on D to take full advantage of his abilities. Sutherby was a great character guy but honestly never really impressed me beyond that in his time here, and we have plenty of those types on the roster now, even though people still think we should scratch players like Bradley. Honestly getting a 2nd round pick that we turned into Huet for the run we made last year was WELL worth it in my opinion.

That old adage is only popular because it gives teams that aren't really contenders the illusion they are always "in games". It's one thing if you have the personnel and are playing a system that puts the emphasis on winning 2-1 and 1-0 games. This team had Hanlon for that. How'd that go? Yeah...exactly. The funny thing is this group playing BB's system has shown it can beat the elite teams in lower scoring games, downing Boston 3-1 and 2-1 and the Flyers in a SO 2-1. I think it's hasty to claim this team is terrible defensively just because they were for one game. Since getting pulled in NY how many times has Theo given up more than 3 goals? How many was it 2 or less? People forget we were literally fielding an AHL blue line for a large portion of the first half of the season. I don't know about you but the great comebacks this team has had all year show the HEART, SOUL, and GRIT aplenty to me. I'll take Fed as a top 2 line pivot any day over someone like Sutherby come playoff time.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 7, 2009 3:37 AM | Report abuse

Hi - first-time poster - have been rocking the red since 1982 - Langway and I came to DC in the same season!

Think Alzner should be with the Caps full-time, not in Hershey. He's been steady in all of his games. He's the SAH defenseman we keep saying we need. And he hits more than Schultz or Jucina.

I like Federov at the point on the power play though, rather than Ovie -- if Ovie shoots on his left/goalie's right, and misses the net, it always seems like the puck hits the far boards and ricochets out of the zone - will Green/Mo/Schultz/Alzner please keep it in!

Either Varlamov or Neuvirth plays 25-35% of the games down the stretch, or we pick up an inexpensive veteran like Johan Hedberg from Atlanta. It's been ages since Jose has played a Brodeur-esque number of games, not confident he will handle it.

What's the latest on Laich? Losing him for multiple weeks is a far bigger problem than losing Jonnie or Clark.

Posted by: guiliano89 | February 7, 2009 4:36 AM | Report abuse

@ Davethecapsfan,
Well, I guess that's why they have vanilla AND chocolate. While we may not agree, I respect your right to have whatever opinion you choose.
Having said that, there's only one segment of your post I care to adress. It's your assertion that The Caps have, "Plenty" of character guys on the roster. My question to you is simply, "WHO?" Quite frankly, it was a distinct lack of character which caused their demise Thur. night. Los Angeles came out hitting. And, The Caps DID NOT respond. As a matter of fact, they played quite passively, allowing The kings to take all sorts of liberties that resulted in numerous odd man rushes and several breakaways.
Character guys? Who!? Schultz? ShaMo? Flash? Backstrom? Certainly not Kozlov when he's available. What about Juice? Or Poti, for that matter. Fehr is a big wimp. No question! And, I'm STILL WAITING for "King" Carl to hit the 1st opponent with any authority. So, no! Our team have a distinct SHORTAGE of character guys. If that weren't so, one of the opponents would have gotten their clock cleaned when Ov ( THE FRANCHISE ) went smashing into the boards a couple of days ago. Instead, everyone stood around like wimps. Because that's what they are.
No sir. There's a serious shortage of testosterone on this team as it's presently constituted. When the elbows start flying, and the boards begin to rattle, THAT'S WHEN our lack of guts, and heart raises it's ugly head. As long as it's a nice, polite, sedate game, our boys can shine. But, don't let the ugly stuff begin. That's when most of our guys become passive and run for cover. It's disgusting!
The problem ( As I see it ) is that we don't have enough Brashears and Bradleys on the team. and, too many Flashs, Kozlovs, Morrisons, Nylanders, Backstroms, etc. Maybe it's simply too much European "Flavor." But, that's a discussion for another day. Peace.....

Posted by: Puckguru | February 7, 2009 4:45 AM | Report abuse

Puckguru - I think you need to go find another team to root for if that's your opinion. You're asking this team to basically completely change its makeup and the way it plays. If you don't like it, you don't have to come here and you don't have to root for this team. Go root for NYI or CBJ, they're the kind of character guys you're looking for.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 7, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

And if you don't think this team has guts and heart, you're an absolute utter blind idiot. How do you think they completely overwhelmed the King in the last half of the third frame if they didn't? They'd have just thrown in the towel and called it a game. They didn't. They came back and gave them utter hell, and only Quick saved them.

Go away, please, back into the wall you came from.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 7, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry, kitty: The Caps will win tonight, which always puts certain people's keyboards on IR.

Posted by: redlineblue | February 7, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

umm...on a lighter note....

If you go to NHL . com right now on the right hand side (may have to scroll down) there is a poll for fan favorite of the week. Only three to choose from, OV and Green making up two of them. (OV is leading, though I, myself am quite impressed with Green's monstrous tear these last couple of games!!!).

I agree, the loss of a guy like Laich for a few games could never be good, hope he can suit up (though perhaps if his is iffy, a few days off till Wednesday would not be the worst idea. He brings so much to the team, and is what I would deem a character player (though, I would disagree with whoever said we were lacking character anywho, because I think this team as a whole has a whole lot of character)

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | February 7, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Now, onto a better topic than Puckguru's longing for his dad's Caps of the past. Let's talk about the Panthers. There's reasons to like the Panthers in this contest - this is a big, statement game for them, for one thing. For another, their D is the best in the SE, and they're working as a solid unit team. They've done very well for themselves lately, and this is exactly the kind of team we need to watch carefully (see: Kings). Fortunately, we just had one of those, and it went badly. So hopefully, the guys got the message and will show up. If not, I will be ... very annoyed.

This needs to be a statement game for us too, and our statement needs to be "Sorry, b*****s, not accepting challengers at this time. Please try again later."

Posted by: kittypawz | February 7, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

@redlineblue: Oh yes. One just wishes that it would be permanent, eh? :)

Posted by: kittypawz | February 7, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Kitty, the team played hard for 20 minutes. The other 40 minutes they showed no real effort, they were on auto pilot and unwilling to get dirty in the corners. I wouldn't use the game vs the Kings to demonstrate how much heart the team has.

Posted by: Steve_R | February 7, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Dude, I would. Everyone has bad days, and everyone finds themselves in a hole sometimes. Heart is - you get yourself in a hole. Do you climb out or do you decide there's nothing you can do about it and throw the towel in? Do you give up or keep fighting? Heart isn't about whether you ever fall or not, it's about whether you get right back up after you fall. They didn't sit down. They got right back up and made a game of it. That's my point.

New thread, BTW.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 7, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

kittypawz,
Oh, yeah. I remember you. You're the one fixated on my "little" head. I'll dismiss you just like any other Cro Magnon from Southern France.

Posted by: Puckguru | February 7, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse