Oilers 5, Caps 2

After the Capitals dropped their third straight game in regulation tonight against the Oilers -- a team that entered the game 17 spots behind them in the NHL standings and is playing without their leading scorer -- Coach Bruce Boudreau's sentiments were quite clear.

"They're lucky there's no practice tomorrow," he said.

This stretch of losses is the second time this season and just the second time during Boudreau's tenure that the Capitals have lost three consecutive, regular-season games. An even more telling stat is that over the past nine periods in regulation at Verizon Center the Capitals have been outscored 3-9 despite out-shooting their opponents 115-80 during that stretch.

During this loss in particular though the Caps looked uninterested, from standing still on power plays to not fulfilling defensive responsibilities, which I'll let Boudreau describe.

"It gets to the point where everybody wants to be the scorer but nobody wants to be the mucker and you're not going to do anything," Boudreau said. "Everybody's waiting for somebody else to do the work. They want to finish."

"When we didn't have the puck instead of being a pressure defense, which we talk about all the time we're waiting," he said before explained his team's mentality. "'Aw somebody else will get the puck out to me and I'll go score. But I'm not going to worry about too much checking.' When that happens you're not going to win."

On to the rest of the notes and quotes from tonight.

*The Capitals struggled mightily on the power play going 1 for 5 tonight against the Oilers, who entered the game with the 28th ranked penalty killing unit in the league. In the past six games, Washington has converted on only 4 of 26 opportunities with the man-advantage.

Against Edmonton they were stationary, stuck to the perimeter of the offensive zone and failed to create any traffic in front of Oilers goaltender Dwayne Roloson.

"Until we can get somebody to the front of the net, really battle and screen the goalie we're not going to get any chances and there's no point in shooting the puck," said Mike Green, who recorded his 11th goal of the season on the power play. "That's why we're passing around the perimeter and hoping somebody else is going to do it."

*It wasn't only on the power play though that the Capitals avoided the Edmonton crease. Although Washington out shot Edmonton 19-9 in the first period few were quality shots that could create any kind of scoring opportunity.

"We don't have traffic," Alex Ovechkin said. "Bruce tells us if you want to get goal you have to make traffic. We don't have traffic and I think that's key for our game."

*Ovechkin has just one point (As Boudreau said: "an assist off Nylander's foot" against Montreal.) in the past four games and the left winger wasn't shifting any of the blame.

"I think our line played terrible tonight," Ovechkin said. "Today we just tried to play so cute. Me, everybody and we just have to change it."

*Eight of the Caps 14 losses this season have come against Western Conference teams and they're 1-3 against the Northwest Division. The Oilers ended a six-game losing streak in Washington dated back to Jan. 26, 1997 with the win.

*Pittsburgh beat the Flyers 4-2 tonight in Philadelphia which prevented the Flyers from tying the Capitals with 57 points for second place in the Eastern Conference. Both the Rangers, who defeated the Islanders 2-1 tonight, and Canadiens however sit just one point behind Washington with 56 points.

*If you wondered whether the Capitals fell into the trap of overlooking the Oilers well..."We probably took them a little bit for granted," Karl Alzner said. "We weren't that good our last couple practices and I think that hurt us a little bit leading up to the game."

*Alzner was assessed his first NHL penalty, a delay of game for shooting the puck over the glass. It was Alzner's second-ever professional penalty as the rookie defenseman was only penalized once in Hershey, which was ironically for a delay of game.

*Also among the firsts tonight, Edmonton's Steve MacIntyre scored his first NHL goal, for his first NHL point in the first period.

*Green recorded his 100th NHL point with his assist on Tomas Fleischmann's goal in the second period.

By Katie Carrera  |  January 13, 2009; 11:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lines
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

Re-post:

Weeellll ... that was painful. A few thoughts about the game (forgive me if others have made similar comments - I have not read everything yet).

- Things started bad with the anthem(s). The announcer cut in just as they were starting to sing; their "vocal stylings" threw all of the "O" people off (HA!); and Rolo bolted for the goal before they were done singing (did anyone else think it was odd?).

- Flash's goal was beau-ti-ful. He looked like Ovie out there. Too bad he followed it with a double minor (lucky for him they did not score on it).

- We've had a lot of SOG lately but not a lot of light. Just goes to show that having a strong offense is not enough - sometimes they won't connect and we will need the Dmen/goalie to keep us in the game. We need better D, starting with a S@H vet. I can't imagine that we will go past the trade deadline without making that happen. I also think it is time to see a little more of the Iron Curtain ...

- The jumbotron poll asked what everyone's favorite Canadian food was - fries with gravy (huh?), anything with maple syrup or (cough) Canadian bacon (sorry JMU!). Man, you would think that the front office of a hockey club would know better than that?!?

- Late in the 3rd the equally gregarious friend of Mr. Know It All who often sits behind me yelled HIT SOMEBODY! Mr. Boo responded to me by saying, "Don't tempt me." That was the highlight of my evening.

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 13, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

we've been winning so many games, we were bound to lose a few games too... it happens, but i'm glad it's happening now rather than in the spring. and like someone else said, i'm not gonna press the panic button just yet.

i'm not very analytical but does anyone else think that maybe when our key players were injured a lot of the other players significantly stepped their game up.. they had to make up for the loss of our key players so they harder...and now that the injured players are back, alot of them seem to just be fading into the background?(backstrom, ovie, kozlov) just a thought...

Posted by: jogabonito | January 13, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

oh and i meant to say "so they PLAYED harder" in my previous post.

Posted by: jogabonito | January 13, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Worst. Game. Of the. Year.

¨Disinterested¨ is a good description.

Posted by: katzistan | January 13, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

might of been semin's worst game as a cap. he needs to be broken up away from ovie. put kozlov or clark on the top line and semin on the second with feds. the defense was terrible! hope the sexy lumberjack/ green duo is gone forever.

Posted by: bestpilotonearth | January 13, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

jogabonito:
I was wondering the same thing. It seems odd that we were playing better when we called the kiddies up. Now we are getting healthier with every game and yet playing worse. I can't explain it ... maybe they all expect it to be SO much better with all of those guys back that they don't try as hard (guess we're saying the same thing). Anyway, who knows ... I just hope BB gets to the bottom of it!

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 13, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

boo:

that's exactly what i meant, every game with the injuries was like a hustle but, now it seems like the players think a win will come easy, just don't seem to be trying as hard.

let's just hope that they turn things around tomorrow.. i would hate to lose to the pens.

good night everyone!

Posted by: jogabonito | January 13, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

oh and the ovie-backstrom-semin line hasn't been clicking, i wonder why? they were doing great before semin got injured

Posted by: jogabonito | January 13, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Forget the hardhat...throw the darn thing away.

Get a bucket of mud. If anyone is willing enough to get his nose dirty for the team, slather it on his schnoz.

Now, that's a badge of courage.

C'mon, boys! Go get your noses dirty in Pittsburgh.

Tonight was terrible.

Posted by: WCAPS1 | January 13, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Bring back the Bearales. At least the guys from Hearsey played hard every night.

Posted by: RichC3 | January 13, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

P.S.

In BB I trust. But why Erskine and Green? I tend not to get into lines and pairing, but what the heck. Put Mo and Greenie back together. There are so many things that have been proven to work...why not just get back to basics?

AAAAAARRRGH. Beyond frustrated after watching our "disinterested" Caps tonight.

Having seen their best, I have come to expect nothing less.

Posted by: WCAPS1 | January 13, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

I have to get this off my chest. I dont have the good fortune to going to alot of Caps games, and i caught this one in the middle of the 2nd period, but it disgusts me when the fans boo this team. First of all, alot of the fans in the stands werent there when they were bad, so IMO you dont have the right to boo. Second, they know theyre playing bad, and you booing them isnt going to make them play better. I'd rather hear encouraging cheers, rather than boos. We're not Philly. This team has come along way, and they dont deserve to be booed. Butch Cassidy and his band of merry overpaid men deserved to be booed, this team does not. Ive been a fan of this team for 16 years, and we've never had a team this good and this exciting, dont spoil it by booing them when they have a bad game, its going to happen every once in awhile. They cant win every game at home. They arent going to score 5 goals every home game, and they arent going to play well and lose every home game. This is the NHL and the talent disparity isnt that great between the worst and the best teams. So in short, please dont boo them, and dont desert them, they deserve better.

Posted by: DER27 | January 13, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

WCAPS1:

I dig the "bucket of mud" idea.

Posted by: uncatim | January 13, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

From the previous-previous ...

Dave:
I would be all over a Clutterbuck sweater (regardless of whether or not he is any good), so they can count on my revenue! ;-) Besides, wouldn't it be fun to hear other teams/fans say CLUTTERBUCK! (ala Newman!) every time he did something fabulous?!? Yup, bring on the Clutterbuck.

Capt_Kirk_in_AZ:
You can't get away with that that easily! :-P I don't know what's worse - saying what you said or encouraging Lee (please don't encourage him - he's enough trouble all by himself).

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 13, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

DER27:

I agree. I have been a Caps fan since their first season. I have seen bad, really bad, & worse. I have booed opponents, refs, stupid fans, opponents' fans, & jagr -- I have never booed the Capitals.

Posted by: uncatim | January 13, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

DER27:
That was the other point that I meant to make - I don't recall hearing that much booing before; the boo-birds were out big time. Not for long, but pretty intensely for a good bit. I agree with you - I think it's disgusting, pathetic and counter-productive. My philosophy? Never boo your own team. Period.

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 13, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Boo-, "Poutine" is pretty much Canada's national food. Its fries with gravy and squeak cheese (its unpasteurized cheese that squeaks when you chew it). St-Hubert offers it with chicken on it, but other places do hamburger, jalapenos, whatever. Part of my family does maple syrup, so I'm partial to that, too. However, Canadian bacon is complete and utter horsepoop. I won't tirade again about it, cause I'm sure I've done it before. You'd think they'd talk to Stretch about Canada before doing stuff like that.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 14, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

boo:
sorry - i've got plenty more - but i'll leave them alone.

i'm with DER27 - if some of you had watched them in the 70's you would have given up on them and probably be a philly or pen fan now.
enjoy what we have now. there is nothing wrong with being frustrated or disappointed - but there is no need to knock them for every bad play - you have to remember the opponent is working to stop everything they are trying to do.
i trust BB and GMGM will put the best possible team on the ice given all the variables that they are aware of.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 14, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

ive only booed this team one time, Caps vs Avalanche in Colorado, Butch Cassidys last game as coach where they just gave up and were really trying to get their coach fired.

Posted by: DER27 | January 14, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Well, I won't be eating Canadian bacon anymore now that jmu_capsgirl has told me what it is made of.

Posted by: uncatim | January 14, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

uncatim, lol. Not precisely what I meant, but! I get mad because Americans cut a round of ham out and call it Canadian bacon. I've eaten plenty of bacon in Canada and have never seen "Canadian bacon" until I came to the US. In my part of Canada, bacon is bacon. I didn't exactly get culture shock when I moved.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 14, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

JMU:
As I am sure you know, we do cheese fries but not gravy fries (crazy Canadians!). I wondered how many Canadians were in the house simultaneously rolling their eyes at the Canadian bacon bit (no pun intended). Surely they have more than a Canadian or two on staff?!? Regardless, I apologize on behalf of all of my people!! ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 14, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

The Caps were all over the Oilers for the 1st five minutes but when they didn't score in the early push they just seemed to relax and let Edmonton start playing their game. The Oilers are further back in the standings but the Northwest doesn't have any bad teams in it. They can all beat you if you give them the chance. Tough to get into good scoring positions against them, they block a ton of shots, strong on the puck, and they don't need many chances to score to put one in. We'll see how things go against the pens. They play a style more suited to the Caps game, not the grinding, tight checking style that Edmonton and Columbus play.

Posted by: Stu_c | January 14, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm in a foul mood. This team played better with the depleted lineup. And just when Ovie was ready to take over the NHL lead in goals (and pass cindy for the #2 in TP), the whole team is flat.

That said, I never boo the Caps. Ever.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | January 14, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

The only good news is that the DVR recording the game messed up while I was in class ... and I was only able to watch the first two periods.

Posted by: Cerealman | January 14, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk_in_AZ:
Since you are an anti-booer, I will let it slide ... ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 14, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cerealman | January 14, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Boo, lol, bacon bit. Nice one, even if it wasn't intended. And I'm sure they have to. They've at least got Stretch. He's a good Canadian boy. And don't knock fries with gravy til you try them! They're even better than fries with malt vinegar.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 14, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

I know, jmu. Tonight I am more of a wisenheimer than usual. I was once a chef and we used a smoked loin cut labeled Canadian bacon, not the chunked and formed garbage most places use. I understand & empathize that your complaint is against the label, not against the meat.

Posted by: uncatim | January 14, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

uncatim, We've all got our nights. I'm not a fan of the meat either, but you're right. It is the label I despise more.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 14, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

JMU:
Ooohhh ... don't tell Dave that!! ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 14, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

jmu: my better half (see boo - i still love her) also eats fries with gravy. we've never been to canadia (yes i meant to spell it that way) because it's too cold there. its too cold to live around DC anymore.
the part i hate about losing is i can sit outside and watch the highlighted on 'nhl on the fly' - i miss those days.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 14, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

See, Boo-, Mrs. Capt_Kirk_in_AZ does it too! And as a kid, I had an awful habit of putting everything on my fries, especially at the rink. Gravy, ketchup and vinegar. I don't think I could do that anymore without getting sick.
Capt_Kirk_in_AZ, but its so nice in the summer! Seventy and buggy. Its perfect if you like the smell of calamine lotion!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 14, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I was gonna say, shouldn't those choices have been "poutine", "back bacon", and "anything with maple syrup"? :)

And I agree, I was a little^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hvery unhappy with all the booing. That's the sort of thing I expect from Pennsylvania. Just how I don't like the "______ sucks" chants -- I prefer to *ignore* the opposition chants and simply drown them out with the good ol' "Let's go Caps!" No need to acknowledge them by waiting until in between their chants to retort... it's all about the positive thinking, guys (and gals)! :)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | January 14, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk_in_AZ:
Good boy!! ;-) So I'm confused - are you in DC or AZ? And why can't you watch NHL on the Fly anymore?

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 14, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

JMU:
Oh well if Mrs. Capt_Kirk_in_AZ does it ... should I jump off a bridge with her (and all of her crazy Canadian friends), too?!? ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 14, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Greg:
Were you at the game? That's quite a haul for you, eh?

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 14, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

she'll use mayo too - ugh
i'll take the 110 in the summer to have 70's from nov. to feb. and the three fly's that live here. woudl you believe i had to wear a LONG sleeve shirt today??

caps better kick some cindy *ss tomorrow - withdrawls are starting - i need my 'fix'

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 14, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | January 14, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

...oops. Double post. :(

Boo, I'm a STH in section 413... I've been at almost every home game. :)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | January 14, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

AZ - i watch all the games on 'center ice' and when they win i'll watch the nhl's 1/2 hour version of 'sport center', nhl on the fly' for about 2 hours. i can do that because the games end around 7:30 here.
it stinks when work expects me stick around until 5:30 or 6 when it takes me 30 minutes to get home for a 5p game. thank god for DVR's

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 14, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Boo!: I've probably eaten gravy fries in a hundred U.S. diners, including one in Hershey but I'll bet my cardiologist would not recommend that you join us in jumping off that bridge!

Posted by: uncatim | January 14, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Kirk:
I like 'em with mayo! :-)

Greg:
Good for you! How long does that take you? Seems so far but, then again, I live in VA so it is probably not as far as it seems.

Tim:
Blech! Have you seen that around here? Reminds me of the time that I ordered pecan pie at a truck stop and they asked me if I wanted melted butter on top ... eewww!!

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 14, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk_in_AZ, "would you believe i had to wear a LONG sleeve shirt today??" Oh, cry me an ice rink. It snowed here today.
Fries with mayo is a European thing, no? Gross, but then again, not really a mayo fan.
Greg, Yeah, I think its called back bacon. Speaking of great things Canadian, I got Timmy Ho's hot cocoa mix for Christmas from my cousin in Edmonton. Good stuff. Maybe instead of Canadian bacon--Horton's coffee. That would even be hockey related!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 14, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

jmu:
i would think any day it did not snow in DC would be a warm day for you!/!? you just about have the same winter as me then

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 14, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk_in_AZ, I'm not in DC. I'm in the mountains a few hours southwest. It gets cold and windy, but almost none of the snow we get sticks. And I sort of hate warm weather. I'd be completely okay moving back to Canada. Anything over 80 is still too hot for me.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 14, 2009 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Boo, I work in/near Columbia; that takes about 15-20 minutes to Greenbelt Metro, and I guess it's a 25 minute ride or so? When coming from home in Annapolis, it's about 15-20 minutes to New Carrollton Metro, and it's maybe 30-40 minutes to VC I guess? When leaving from the office, I try to get out by 5:30, and I guess about 5:00 from home.

Either way, I usually get to see a few minutes of warmups before heading to my perch up near the video review booth. ;)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | January 14, 2009 1:08 AM | Report abuse

jmu: Based on advertisements I see from "faraway places" on the Center Ice package (or more specifically, which cities' broadcasts have them and which don't), I have good reason to believe that Timmy is beginning to overtake the northern US, clearly with an eye towards total global domination...

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | January 14, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Boo!: Sure, lots of places serve gravy fries. The American City Diner on Connecticut Ave calls them Wet Fries. Most places that serve hot roast beef or hot turkey sandwiches will serve fries with gravy. It is risky, though. If either fries or gravy are not good, the other ingredient is ruined. I have never cooked in a restaurant that served such fare, however.

Posted by: uncatim | January 14, 2009 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Greg, Wicked! The closest one to here is somewhere in northern WV. I don't even know what I'd do with myself if we had them around here. Down with Starbucks; up with Tim Horton's!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 14, 2009 1:14 AM | Report abuse

I've wondered about Tim Hortons. Are the coffee & doughnuts both good?

Posted by: uncatim | January 14, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse

jmu: anything below 60 is freezing to me now after 10 years here.
i do miss not being able to attend games anymore. back in the mid 80's i had a friend that could get his companys season tix if no one (sales people) wanted them. i used to get a call around 5:30 for 7:30 games at the cap center in landover. it was always 'fun' trying to get there in jan. - no one, AND I MEAN NO ONE, in the DC metro area knows how to drive with snow on the ground. guess i don't have to worry about that here though. yeah yeah - no tears for me ...

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 14, 2009 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Coffee is probably laced with an illegal drug. I base this on 2 things: 1) the large majority of Canadians that can't survive without it. 2) the fact that its the only coffee I can tolerate.
Donuts are pretty good. Depends on what you get, but their Timbits (donut holes) probably contain the same "secret ingredient" the coffee does.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 14, 2009 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, jmu. I've got to try some of each.

Posted by: uncatim | January 14, 2009 1:22 AM | Report abuse

Timbits... *drools*

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | January 14, 2009 1:22 AM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk_in_AZ, Its not just the DC Metro area. Its pretty much everywhere south of Pennsylvania. You'd think with all the northerners here, they'd know, but its horrible here too. I'm more careful than I normally would be since I drive a sports car, but I still know how (might be genetic).

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 14, 2009 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Regarding the game tonight, yeah the caps were out-worked by the Oilers. The caps are one of the best teams in the league, so of course every team is going to play them tough & try and beat them for their badge of honor so to speak.

I could not attend the game tonight, but watched it on CSN with surround sound. Wow did the booing really show up. I'm also with DER27 with this comment:

Really caps fans in attendance? Was it REALLY necessary for the excessive booing? Is the fan base turning into Redskins fans & Philly (all sports) fans? Would you ever boo Gretzky or Lemuiex in their home building every night? So it's ok to boo Ovechkin & team now because the PP is terrible or the team needs to get it's chemistry back from all the injuries?

Utterly disgusting & disappointing to hear that so clearly even on the TV broadcast from the people in attendance tonight. I hope the Bruins game the fans will be on better behavior and truly savor the quality matchup that will be on the ice Saturday night.

Posted by: migz | January 14, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

i thought i survived driving back there until i had to deal with the 'snowbirds' out here. lots of alberta plates here between oct. and mar. - but at least they know which is the gas pedal

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 14, 2009 1:33 AM | Report abuse

I guess when the Caps suck the topic becomes fries and gravy. Sound okay, I'll have a large order of fries and gravy with a side of onion rings. And a coke! Maybe a fur burger and a side of thighs??

Posted by: jgreif | January 14, 2009 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk_in_AZ, the Canadian Air Force(?) had "Snowbirds" that did air shows. I remember being confused as a kid when people said they went south for the winter. I thought they took the planes to Florida. I still catch myself when I see the word sometimes.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 14, 2009 1:44 AM | Report abuse

jgreif: that funny - not very PC but funny.

BB needs to figure things out soon or this could turn into a struggle to hold the division lead.

it seems the team goes as OV goes and he's in a mini slump right now. the time to break out of it will be tomorrow night - at least it's still tomorrow night to me.

i also think every forward should have some kind of incentive claus in their contract about every time you park in front of the net and get hit with the puck that you can spend one full period of shifts on OV's line.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 14, 2009 1:44 AM | Report abuse

well - if i want to leave work by 4p tomorrow to catch the game - i'll have to get in by at least 9a.
remember all - there is nothing wrong with beating a penguin over the head with a stick!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 14, 2009 1:52 AM | Report abuse

So I was catching up on tearing the day pages off my NHL desk calendar and I noticed that each of these three games we've lost, the team we've lost to has been the team for the next day. So, Wednesday's team is the Oilers, last Saturday's = Blue Jackets, last Sunday's = Canadiens. Hmmmm...

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 14, 2009 1:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm a proud boo-bird, up in my perch in the 400s. The Caps have NOT played to their potential in the last 3 games (and arguably in the 2-3 previous to that). Bruce said a long time ago that they need TRAFFIC in front of the net and they're not doing it. If this were the BAD Caps from a couple years back, I would not boo. But when you're playing at this level and raising expectations, the team has earned and deserved pressure.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't mind if some of the Bears came back to shore up the lines and give some of our regulars time to reflect.

Posted by: r4e11 | January 14, 2009 6:06 AM | Report abuse

Capt Kirk/JMU:

I'm with Capt Kirk. Anything below 60 is freezing. Any day not at least 80 is "chilly."

BTW, my name is Tom and I'm a Theodore detractor. Thought I was getting better but had a relapse. Also, I posted last week and will repeat - put Alzner with Green and trade Mo if need be to keep Alzner. I've also posted a zillion times they need a veteran S@H such as Bob Rouse. I don't know how you do that with the cap though. Actually, I do, but people don't like to read it.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 14, 2009 6:46 AM | Report abuse

Haven't read all the posts but I am extremely happy to see that some of you are sick and tired of fans(?) booing the team. Some say that if you pay to go to a game you have the right to boo. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion, mine is, real fans don't boo their teams everytime they go to a game and their not winning. Sickens me. Now, I was at the game yesterday, and even left with 8 minutes left because the Caps really looked deflated. I didn't boo and quitely shuffled out at a whistle (I commute 70 miles each way as a STH so give me a break).

The Caps again terribly outshot a team only to have the opposing goaltender have his best game in weeks. Are we in a slump? I guess you could say we are. I would say we are more in a luck slump though. What I mean by that is when a puck can slide 6 inches either way it just seems the ice is tilted away from us right now. We've had what, almost 100 shots in the last 3 games? That's a ton of shots. Until Flash buried the goal in the 2nd we had actually witnessed 6 straight regulation periods, and 1 overtime period without a goal. (Last 2 periods against Philly, shutout against Columbus, and no goals in the 1st yesterday). Although we are in a luck slump I am not ready to panic because the boys are showing up and outshooting the other teams, they just aren't getting the bounces right now.

Remember this too fellow Caps fans, when the Caps closed to within 5 points of the Bruins they suffered 2 straight home losses and have since spun out of it, we'll be OK. Actually cheered for the Pens because the Flyers are on our heels right now. We ended up having a little luck on our side Montreal, Philly, and Carolina all lost too.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 14, 2009 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Just wanted to say I agree with DER27. It's very irritating when these bandwagon fans boo the home team. Though I have to admit I wasn't happy last night. I've gone to Caps games since I was 4 and have been a full STH for the last 3.5 seasons (when we weren't the greatest). It's good to see the seats filled, but I kinda wish the bandwagon crowd would just stay home.

I wonder how many people at the Dec 28th game were wondering who Mike Gartner is lol.

And I wish the players would listen what Green and Co. said about screening the goalie. Teams do it effectively against us (another concern of mine, not clearing them out when they sit in front) but we don't seem to know how to do it ourselves.

Posted by: C-A-P-Scapscapscaps | January 14, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Oops what I meant to say was 6 regulation periods and an overtime at VERIZON without a goal.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 14, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

I just hope that they play a lot better tonight.

JMU- are you at JMU now? I graduated from there in 2001!

Posted by: mikesfan | January 14, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Booing your own team is retarded. Always keep the faith. It was at one of the Carolina games last year I sat down low and all these "Long time STH" did was boo and scream " Fleischmann is a Fag".

No matter how bad it gets at least you get to be at an NHL game cheering for your home team.

Posted by: trunkenmath | January 14, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

I thought that Erskine played as well as anyone with a Red jersey on. On the good side, Canes lose,Flyers lose,Habs lose.

If we were gonna split a back to back, winning in Pitt would be nice.

Here is another piece of humble pie.......they need to stop reading the headlines and get back to doing what they do best!

The forechecking isnt there like it usually is.

On the power play, I'd love to see Brroks and Captain C , both in fron of the goalie at the same time.

Flash had a excellent one on four move.

Go beat the flightless birds!!!!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | January 14, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Its time for Ovechkin and Green to stop getting a a free pass from Boudreau. Ovechkin stays out for 3+ minutes when hes dog tired. There is no reason to leave him out on the PP for the entire time, when hes standing around waiting for the puck to come out to the point.

Someone on teh coaching staff should explain to mike Green that if you are a D man and you successfully skate the puck into the O zone you should make a pass. Time to see how good a coach BB is

Posted by: ohaque23 | January 14, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Green and Ovechkin were horrible, Backstrom was ok, semin missed on his chances. Ovechkin wont come of the ice and he wont make a pass. He seems to do this when things are going bad for the team, he doesn't trust anyone else to make a play. Boudreau needs to punish/coach both these guys they are developing bad habits. Whats gonna make Crosby a better player than Ovechkin is that Crosby likes to practice as its a game, Ovechkin likes to skip practice and its ok.

Stop going partying all night and get ready for practice.

Posted by: ohaque23 | January 14, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully, the media will stop talking about how dominant the Caps are at home. The young Caps team doesn't seem to do well with that sort of attention. I think they let it go to their heads...

Posted by: aybee27 | January 14, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

By far that was the worst effort I've seen out of this team in a long time... they are lucky they've got a game tonight otherwise today would be a "bag skate".

They probably should get one anyway on Thursday...

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | January 14, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to say that I heartily disagree with those who say you can't/shouldn't boo the home team. First, in the interest of full disclosure, I've been an STH since the lockout, and with that said, I didn't boo the squad from that first season back, even when they were routinely losing 7-2, 8-1 in the early going because they simply did not have the talent in place to compete. Ovechkin was the only real threat on offense, and our best defensemen at that time was probably Jamie Heward. Fast forward to the present and there is certainly not a lack of talent on this current squad (I'd even venture to say that there's too much at times) and there are certain expectations in place now. The first is that this team is going to be ready to play and fight to win every game. If you watched the game and read Tarik's article, you know the Caps did not bring their A-game or the effort level we the fans and coach BB expect. I'm not sure exactly why (trying to get too many guys back up to speed from injury at the same time, we miss Tom Poti a lot) but I don't really care. The team didn't make excuses when everyone was hurt, so why make them now? The fact that Tarik used the word uninterested to describe their effort says it all. Indifferent and passive are words I'll throw in there as well, and I'll boo an uninterested, indifferent, passive effort from this team every time.

Posted by: cainoo7x | January 14, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

can somebody say painful?? This game had me nervous the whole time...not good hockey...not good.

However, It was disappointing to see so many people playing selfish hockey..that is just not our game and I'd like to know when they started to play this way.

Maybe these last few games will prove a point that team that plays together wins together.

The defense needs to buck up and stop coughing up the puck...for goodness sake.. stick control people.. and the offense needs to play more humble hockey.

Caps Hockey is self-less.. since when has that changed..

looking forward to the game tonight..i hope to see better cohesion and team-work..

-im out

Posted by: -19- | January 14, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DER27 | January 13, 2009 11:47 PM

@DER27: WELL SAID!

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 14, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | January 14, 2009 1:12 AM

@GregAnnapolis:

If Starbucks is the Evil Galactic Empire, would that make TimmyHo's the Rebel Alliance?

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 14, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 14, 2009 1:19 AM

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ: I respectfully disagree with the statement that DC is ENTIRELY devoid of winter-capable drivers:

Shortly after coming to DC from CA in 1986 (with a rear-wheel drive 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme), I learned to "use" the ice out of necessity. At the time I was living with my folks, whose house was on the left-hand side of a cul-de-sac, and had a one-car driveway. The position of the house made it necessary for me to make a u-turn at the bottom of the cul-de-sac, then park on the street in front of the house. Here's how I did it:

(Disclaimer: DO NOT ATTEMPT WITH A FRONT-, ALL-WHEEL, OR 4-WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLE, or any vehicle with a traction-control feature)

1). Drive toward the bottom of the cul-de-sac.

2). Stop

3). While stopped, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left lock.

4). slam on the gas =)

5). The car will "swap ends" in its own length.

6). Shortly before the car is pointed back up the cul-de-sac, release the gas and the steering wheel. The wheel will center itself, and the car will promptly settle into the proper vector.

7) Ease into your parking spot in front of the house.

This youthful foolishness aside, I can proudly state that I have never been in (or caused) a collision where weather was a factor.

IMO, the problem is that many DC drivers either A) think their enormous luxury SUV's 4-wheel drive and anti-lock brakes render them invincible, and thus get too aggressive, or B) are so stone-terrified by the slightest hint of snow ("get to the grocery store and buy milk and toilet paper NOW, BECAUSE IT'S THE END OF CIVILIZATION!!!") and thus drive so timidly and indecisively as to be a menace to all around them.

The middle way is the best: Know your vehicle's limitations and leave yourself room to maneuver wherever possible...but don't dawdle.

IMHO, snow and visible ice are relatively easy to cope with--it's freezing rain that is the worst.

To all: sorry to go off-topic, but I HAD to answer the charges.

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 14, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I can accept a team not winning

But I can not accept a team not trying.

That is a reason to boo. Its like a dog..you dont give it positive reinforcement when it does something wrong/bad.

As much as people pay to go to games and see a quality product, when the team just gives up..you're damn right they should be booed off the ice. Let them know that their lack of interest is duly noted.

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | January 14, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@ rdy4all2000

sorry..but i completely and totally disagree with you. I have been a CAPS fan since i can remember.. and not once..not even when they were not so hott.. was there ever a good reason to boo a team.

like someone stated before..we are not philly nor does our team deserve to be booed..okay so they are in a bad streak right now.. NO ONE IS PERFECT..In my mind..booing them is just making an already hard game worse.

Everyone knows that the CAPS feed off the fans.. and if the fans are booing... how in the world do you expect them to come back after being scored on twice in the 1st?

I get that booing.. "may prove a point" or whatever..but instead it is really just making it harder for them to focus..and harder for them to come back...

LET'S GO CAPS!!! only 1hr and 30min to faceoff