Olympic links: Ovechkin's skates, Czechs win again

(Shaun Best/Reuters)

Morning roundup

Morning links:

*Alex Ovechkin switches skate blades, gets amusingly frustrated when he can't solve Varly at Russia's practice. (Heavy Medal)

*Czechs beat Latvia, leapfrog Russia in Group B.

*Today's hockey games: Norway vs. Switzerland, 3 p.m., Slovakia vs. Latvia, 7:30 p.m. (TV listings)

*Crosby scores winner, Ovie doesn't. (Bog)

*Evgeni Malkin needs an assist. (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)

*Zdeno Chara on Ovechkin. (Alex Ovetjkin)

*More Caps lookalikes. (Hockey Chronicles)

*Brian Burke on overcoming adversity, on and off the ice. (ESPN)

*Olympic hockey wake-up calls. (Kukla's Korner)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 20, 2010; 9:33 AM ET
 | Tags: Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin, Morning roundup, Olympics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sweden hangs on to beat Belarus
Next: Ovechkin, Malkin and Semin make up Team Russia's new top line

Comments

Three rivalry games on tap Sunday: Czech-Russia, Sweden-Finland, and Canada-USA.

U-S-A! U-S-A!

A win would cement the top seeding for the Americans.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | February 20, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

@ The most interesting thing in the Post-Gazette link above is the suggestion, yet again, that Jaromir Jagr wants to return to the NHL. Who wouldn't want him at a reasonable salary, after watching him dominate this tournament, against the world's elite players?

I can name one team he won't be comming to the Washington Capitals

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | February 20, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Indeed. Agree he should be sought out by many, but the Caps won't be among them. Glad to see he's doing well. Wish he had done more for the Caps, but then again maybe we wouldn't have gotten the bountiful re-build.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 20, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I've got MSNBC, so I'll be alright, but how could USA v. Canada not be on NBC at that time slot? 30 yr anniversary of Miracle on Ice.

I think ice dancing is on NBC.

I'm also very glad not to read anybody saying anything about nails in coffins in reference to the outcomes of this weekends hockey games.

Posted by: JSchon | February 20, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

@ Jagr in the NHL

i just got chills...if the pens pick him up, which aside from salary makes TOO much sense...jagr along the wing with either crosby or malkin...Fujjjjjjj

Posted by: cotelloer | February 20, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Jagr is coming back to the NHL... he doesn't have anything left to prove in the NHL, been there and done that and he's got a good thing going in Russia.

he's getting paid 3-4 mil/year tax-free for only about 50 games a year... I doubt he'll be coming back

Posted by: joek443 | February 20, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

He's getting paid more than that..way more than that, and once again people...Jagr is LUCKY. LUCKY to be Jagr.

The KHL had a re-draft last year. Considerably more than half of the players got less than their signed salary. Guys like Jagr, Yashin, etc...are lucky to carry the clout with them that they have. They get paid in full.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 20, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Also, screw Jagr.

What I find the most interesting of those links are Varlamov's time with a legendary goaltender and Chara's praise of Ovechkin.

Even if Jagr said he was going to re-sign, there would still be tons of rumors about him coming back.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 20, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Facebook problems today, high taxes, too much snow, battery dead in my truck -- all jagr's fault. Everybody knows it but milbury.

Posted by: uncatim | February 20, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

"Ovechkin, Semin and Datsyuk are obviously the best players in the world," Chara said after the game.

I don't really disagree with that assessment, as long as you substitute the word "forwards" for "players."

Interesting. They aren't just the best--they are OBVIOUSLY the best.

Before you scoff, Datsyuk was runner-up for the Hart Trophy last year for MVP, is generally considered the best forward defensively-speaking, and there are a lot of folks, Red Wings fans and otherwise, who will tell you he's really just the most valuable overall forward in the world right now, however you want to slice it, if you take into account all aspects of this very team-oriented game. And Semin was #1 in points-per-minute-of-ice-time last year (amongst NHLers who played in at least 30 games last year). So it's not like what Chara said is crazy.

Most will disagree with Semin's inclusion in that list, I know. I think the best reason to doubt Semin should be included could be that a lot of the time Semin doesn't play on the same line as Ovechkin, and often that means he doesn't have to face the opposition's best defensive players. Of course, people would probably be doubting Semin's worth if he DID play more often with Ovechkin, so maybe he just can't win no matter what as long as he's on a team with Ovechkin.

But anyway, I don't have a problem with Chara's list as long as we're just talking about forwards. (I probably don't have a problem with your list either, if you're someone who disagrees.)

Posted by: youaresquishy | February 20, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Russia's first line is Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Semin. I get why you'd want to put Ovechkin and Semin together, just because they're used to one another. But I don't get why you wouldn't want Datsyuk to play with Kovalchuk. That seems like the natural fit, with Kovalchuk's inability to do anything defensively combined with Datsyuk, the best defensive forward--with Kovalchuk's scoring and Datsyuk's passing.

Ovechkin and Semin can make their own shots and they can pass it to one another well enough. Malkin can pick up their garbage, set screens, etc. I think Russia is going about this all wrong. I think they want to maybe show respect for Datsyuk by putting him on the first line, but I don't think he's the kind of player who cares about that at all--he just wants to win.

Posted by: youaresquishy | February 20, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Please get this over with so we can get back to Caps hockey! All I really want from the Olympics is the Canadians not to win Gold.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 20, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 20, 2010 5:00 PM

DITTO! I'm so tired of the Olympics and so starved for my Caps. What about Bradley - how's he feeling? How are the Bears doing? Will the NHL discipline Janssen? I know it has only been a week but it feels much longer!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | February 20, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

they're as dumb as the rest of us :)

Posted by: joek443 | February 20, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Latest rumors on Team Russia personnel:

Goalie: Nabakov
First PP unit: Ovi, Kovy, Datsyuk, Malkin
Second PP unit: Semin, Radulov

(must confess I can't recall the other players on the units)

Malkin will center Ovi and Semin