Olympic Stadium Plan Put on Ice

Discussions to have the Caps face the Canadiens at Olympic Stadium in Montreal on Nov. 28 are dead, a source confirmed this morning.

The teams will instead contest the game at Bell Centre as scheduled.

There had been preliminary discussions about having the Habs host Alex Ovechkin and the Caps indoors at the stadium, which can seat more than 70,000 fans. But those plans were scrapped, I'm told, because of the possibility of the CFL's Alouettes playing deep into the postseason. If that happens, which is expected considering how well they're playing right now, the NHL would not have enough time to properly prepare the stadium for the installation of a rink.

The Caps never sounded too excited about the prospects of facing the Canadiens in front of a much larger-than-usual crowd in a city known for its loud and boisterous supporters. Now they won't have to worry about it.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  August 24, 2009; 11:16 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Olympic Stadium Game Is Off
Next: Chef Ovie to Hit New York

Comments

The Canadiens could be a division title contender or dead last this season. Gonna be fun to watch.

Posted by: thiazzi | August 24, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

C'est la vie

Posted by: uncatim | August 24, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

So far in 2009 the Alouettes have been playing regular season games at McGill University, and some of the "crowd" have been disguised as empty seats. They must have high hopes that a CFL playoff team will draw real people.

Posted by: chantilly2 | August 24, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

shmeh, one less distraction I say.

Posted by: superpaqman | August 24, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

pokerface and LeftCoast, you're real brave sitting behind a computer screen and calling me names, I'm sure you'd have the guts to do that in person. Why don't the two of you grow up and actually accept that you can disagree with people about opinions without becoming abusive.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | August 24, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

@ freakin: Abusive? You spent a significant amount of time trying to persuade people to your opinion. As far as calling you names, if the shoe fits...

I'll respectfully bow out of challenging you further since it's futile to have you just share your opinion without sounding condescending and pompous. But please, do share. I find you amusing.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | August 24, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

So wait, I'm a horrible person...or as pokerface put it "scum" because my opinion is not the same as yours.

Go read what you just wrote if you want condescending and pompous.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | August 24, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

...as amusing as a chihuahua dog or toy poodle yipping at 1 in the morning on a work day....

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | August 24, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

s*cks when you're on the receiving end, huh?

Just try exercising some courtesy to the other posters when you're expressing your opinion or aggressively trying to prove them wrong. You'll be amazed at how little people will take offense to your differing opinion. It just seems lost to you.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | August 24, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

gotta say, there are some worse offenders that post to the blog. Roc00 and Randino come to mind. they are hyper-Caps fans and open up the name calling jar at the drop of a hat.

Posted by: doughless | August 24, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

freakinandpeakin:
i don't think most have any issues with your opinions - the issue is how you come across as an *ss when you express it.
LeftCoastCapsFan is right - with some courtesy ...

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | August 24, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

wasn't the whole point of these big stadium games supposed to be playing outside just like boys playing pond hockey? Being inside the climate controlled confines of Stade Olympique defeats the whole purpose of the idea.

Posted by: fedssocr | August 24, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

from BB thread: Hey all--let's calm down. I appreciate the sentiments but--as I stated in my post--it's pretty much a nonstarter for me. That's why I chose "newbie". Just get it out front and center.

Over the past year I've read lots of posts about old vs. new fans and I've decided it's a lot like my husband's fandom for the Red Sox (after the Mets of course). That team has broken his heart many a time.

Love for the Caps seems similar. From what little I've read (outside of posters) the Caps are a franchise that many consider should have had a Cup by now, that they had a great team in the mid-90s and earlier in the 80s. I'm glad I don't have that history of heartbreak.

The best moment this past year--game 7 over the Rangers. My son had tears in his years. Worst moment--game 7 with the Penguins. But I used it as a teaching moment for my son. After that horrible loss, we applauded Ovie and the team for a great and exciting season--we showed appreciation and faith in them. And our team led by Ovie saluted us--the fans--in return. I told my son that it's easy to cheer them when they succeed but we show much greater character by supporting them even when they fail, that we don't boo them or leave the game early. We stay to cheer them for a great run.

Now if only the season would start. The August boredom is starting to get to people.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | August 24, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Just to follow up from a previous post, I sent Allan Muir of SI.com an email expressing my dissatisfaction over his ranking the Caps 11th in the preseason rankings. He responded the next day and I apparently touched a nerve. But basically, he said we have a number 2 center issue (Brendan Morrison was let go by two team last year who need center help, he said) and our goaltending is suspect (Theodore "average at best" and Valramov has potential, but his flaws were "widely exposed last spring")

He went to say we have a suspect defense and our forwards do not show an interest in playing a three zone game. He ended by saying, "No. 11 might be generous."

I hear what he's saying, and I admit I'm biased, but I think he's wrong. I think it proves the hockey world still looks upon the Caps as losers.

Posted by: jmurray019 | August 24, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

personally, i think Bouds needs to stop being the players buddy and crack down on their butts. forwards not doing their defensive part, too much passing, sloppy passing and individual play leading to opposing team break-aways....there is a lot of lazy play that goes on that Bouds should be cracking down on. seems like he cracks too many jokes and not ehnough players heads.

do your job, Bouds!!!! your young guys need a little discipline.

Posted by: doughless | August 24, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

And by the way, I don't mean that we the fans can't criticize the team. That's our right. But like I try to do it in our family, I try to be constructive and supportive. There are a lot of ways to succeed and I'm looking forward to seeing how we the Caps make that run for the SC. I have no doubt it's going to be a fun year.

To steer the conversation into another direction, I read comments by several Caps supportive media and bloggers that we are jammed up on the blueline with d-men and many expect some kind of trade to occur at some point.

I've also read in THN that the Sharks are over the Cap and need to unload by the start of the season some of their d-men who are admittedly more expensive than most of ours.

Obviously it doesn't make sense to do a direct trade--but maybe a 3-way. Are there any Shark d-men that would be a good addition for our team? Any thoughts?

I leave the actual numbers and how trades work to those of you who are good at that sort of thing. I only know that we are up at the Cap and that we will probably have to make some Cap room and blueline room.

Any thoughts? Any opinions?

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | August 24, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Just to clarify...currently the Als play their home games at McGill.

However...Olympic Stadium was used for last year's Grey Cup, and could potentially be used for an East Division Final if the Als were to host it. Typically the Grey Cup usually occurs right before American Thanksgiving but this year it comes a tad late (November 29 in Calgary). This would put a potential East Division Final on November 22 (three teams from each division make the playoffs...2 plays 3 and the winner plays the first seed), which in theory would only give the NHL 6 days to set up a rink.

Posted by: jcurrin | August 24, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

package together 2 or 3 guys to trdae and then add Hannan and Ivanans....then call it a day

Posted by: doughless | August 24, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

@jmurray019

I agree with Muir's arguments...Except the forwards on D thing. That's a coaching decision. Bouds game plan is to score more than the other guy, not give up less. I put the Caps 7th.

@doughless
From what I've see in practices and behind the bench, I don't think Bouds gives anyone much slack. When he does, someone's earned the slack (e.g OV gets to skip a lot of practices during the season). Now off the ice or in front of the cameras he's a ham there's no doubt about it.

Posted by: SuperG5 | August 24, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Good for the Alouettes. I hear they lead the CFL in rouges.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | August 24, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Jmurray0919, interesting response. Sounds as if Muir doesn't think much of B-Mo. I agree that he is a risk, but from what I've read he had a pretty major look-over for health and speed before the contract.

I'm still learning more about the various systems but I do agree that Caps need to sharpen up their passing and play a more disciplined game more consistently. We seem to fall into that underdog mode too often.

But I do think that Muir underestimates this team. When they are playing well and in sync, which was more often than not last season and definitely when up against strong teams, this team wins. And other rankings place us much higher. I don't think it's an accident that our opening schedule is against some very tough teams--I think the NHL and Bettman look at us as a contender.

So I read SI with a grain a salt. I think they are caught up in the Crosby aura and are not use to thinking of Washington as a hockey town. And maybe they are Canadian-centric and don't care for Russian or European players.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | August 24, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Sports Illustrated doesn't know hockey, it's that simple.

Posted by: thiazzi | August 24, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

That's fine by me. I'd rather not see Montreal having more than 70,000 fans root against us. It would've been cool to play there but it's not a big deal.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 24, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Interesting thread on the SI angle. First handful of teams in the league are pretty clear, and the Caps aren't one of them. That said, a lot of stuff happens during a season. Maybe B-Mo plays like he used to. Maybe Nylander and BB bury the hatchet and he becomes the #2 center. Clearly Caps make the playoffs and probably win the division again, but how far they go depends on a whole bunch of factors that are months away.

But, I do worry about the net. Theodore is ok, but can be streaky. Varly could be great, but he's stull a kid and I have been worried about his ruggedness given the injuries he's had. Can he really survive physically as a day-to-day #1? I'm not sure.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | August 24, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Thats too bad...I was hoping we could crush MTL in front of 70,000. Makes the 2 points that much better.

Posted by: SA-Town | August 24, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Re SI discussion--I agree with much of oldtimeockey's post. A lot could happen this upcoming season. If B-Mo doesn't work out, we still have forwards that could step in. And who knows what is going to happen with defense although I expect some kind of movement just to clear cap room if nothing else.

But I feel hopeful in a lot of ways with the goalie situation. I'd worry more if we had to rely on Theo only. I think there will be some switching around and we may see more of Neuvy. It remains to be seen what Irbe will bring as the goalie coach. And I'm hoping that Theo can bring advice as well to Varly and Neuvy--he's streaky but has had a lot of NHL years under his belt. Perhaps he can help on what not to do as much as what to do.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | August 24, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and the Alouettes could totally beat the Redskins this year. Just throwing that out there....

Posted by: oldtimehockey | August 24, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

@freakin

I actually followed some of the really bad Caps teams since 1975 so it's not like I'm a front-runner. I did watch their rise in the mid 80's and followed them throughout their heart breaking playoff eliminations. Soon after my second child was born (and my first child got into school and her various activities) that my attention turned elsewhere. It's hard for us moms to devote our full attention to following pro sports, between kids' activities and the job.

Then, when my first born was coming of age, I paid attention to the draft picks who were around her age (i.e. Semin, Fehr, and Ovi) and watched them progress. Yes, the team was still bad (and there was the lockout in there, too). I really got more back into it in the early part of the 2007-2008 season. Watching with agony as Clark, Semin, and Nylander got hurt and then the firing of Hanlon. I finally started going again this past year. (Helps that the younger one could drive herself places.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | August 24, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Sports Illustrated doesn't know hockey, it's that simple.

Posted by: thiazzi | August 24, 2009 3:18 PM |

nail --> head.

Posted by: richmondphil | August 24, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Any thoughts? Any opinions?

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | August 24, 2009 2:40 PM |

They have some d men I like. Not sure which ones would be gett-able though.

I am a big fan of Doug Murray. Semenov, Vlasic, Blake...all good d men. Vlasic is probably off the trade list though. Huskins as well, but he just signed this off-season.

I think they are probably trying to unload guys we don't need. Like Cheechoo.

Posted by: richmondphil | August 24, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Tarik:

You should check with your sources again. The Al's play out of Molson Stadium, not the Big O during the regular season, and also for the playoffs. And the Grey Cup is in Calgary this year, so there should be no reason they could not play in Olympic Stadium, other than the league not wanting to be shown how bad their choice of a Boston / Philly Winter Classic really was.

Posted by: NS2NOVA | August 24, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Re the SI thread - Muir sounds like a hater, if the tone of his response was accurately conveyed. Certainly, there are questions that will need to be answered by the Caps this year, but isn't it basically the same (young)team as last year? Shouldn't we expect some growth with the young players? Where would you rank them last year - 4 or 5? Why should they be significantly worse this year? I hope JMurray019 will respond to Muir at an appropriate point during or after next season, and remind him of his prediction (assuming the year goes as we hope!).

Posted by: zmega | August 24, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

from TSN's report on the matter:

"The Montreal Alouettes hold an option to use the Big O to host the CFL's East Division final on Nov. 22."

--Tarik

Posted by: el_bashir | August 24, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I think a game in a hostile environment such as that would have been cool. It is fun to be the villain. Would have let Ovie channel his inner Vader.

Posted by: lornemyoung | August 24, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

@NS2NOVA

I think the powers to be that selected the game to be Boston vs Philadelphia were either:

1) Caught in a time warp. Back in the early 70's, Flyers vs Bruins were a great rivalry. Now, not so much.

2) Caught in a sports warp. In baseball, the Phillies vs. the Red Sox would make a great World Series matchup. (Yes, the Red Sox are fighting for their life at the moment, but they've been the most consistent AL team in recent years.)

What are the folks in charge smoking? (Which is what my elder daughter says about any idea that she's considers crazy.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | August 24, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

no need to get worked up over the SI prediction, I didn't know they were still around.. thought they only did swimsuit issues... LOL I don't believe there are any reputable hockey experts out there who think that there are 10 teams in the NHL that are better than the Caps.

I've heard about fights among teammates at football training camps but I must say I wasn't aware of fights among fans of the same hockey team a couple weeks before the training camp.. pretty entertaining, not as nasty as verbal abuses between kyle busch fans and dale jr. fans in nascar but getting there.. LOL

Posted by: joek443 | August 24, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

On SI - the thing about that is they are valid points (backchecking forwards, D and Goaltending) but they are dents in our lineup NOT HOLES! You mean to tell me that the teams that are 1-10 don't have "dents" or "concerns" as well? What a joke. I certainly have high expectations of this team this year (I've stated that I think we'll win the East and ocntend for the President's Trophy) but I'm not so ignorant as to thing that there might be a handful or so teams better than us but not 10! We had the 4th best record last year and with all of the moves made so far this offseason I don't see 6 teams jumping in front of us. I'm not too sure you'll see many preseason rankings with us being as low as 11 and have the author state that they were "generous" with that number.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | August 24, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oldtimehockey | August 24, 2009 4:50 PM

Unless the Caps are fighting for a playoff spot late in the season which in my opinion is unlikely, there's no reason to ride one goalie more than the other during the regular season.

I know all coaches are basically paranoid and stick with the hot goalie even during the regular season but this team is good enough to have the two goalies split time equally and still make the playoffs. And NHL playoff seeding is without a doubt the most over-blown and unimportant thing in all of sports, it simply doesn't matter. coaches waste too much time and effort on it and don't see the big picture.

Posted by: joek443 | August 24, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

The way I look at the SI rankings, it serves as motivation. The boys kick tail and take names when they have something to prove, and slack off when they don't.

I really don't see why anyone is getting worked up over it. Yes, we have question marks and concerns. What team doesn't? Look at Pittsburgh - the big question mark for them is can McKee and Goligoski fill the shoes of Hal Gill and Rob Scuderi? Look at everything Detroit has lost this off-season, they're going to be an adventure this year. Look at Chicago. Emery and Boucher as a tandem in net isn't a mad question mark for the Flyers? Ours are which of Theo and Varly pans out, and how do we deal with a clogged blueline?

Chill out, all of you. We're in the stage where nobuddy knows nothin', and we're all just bored enough to freak out about it. That's why they play the games, people.

Posted by: kittypawz | August 25, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmurray019 | August 24, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

jmurray,
did you ask alan how we can go from a top 5 points team last year, with essentially the same team, particularly on d, to an 11? did other teams take that big a leap? is morrison for feds such a drop? knuble for koz is a net positive, no? no arguments on theo, but it is a contract year. and varlamov exposed? perhaps in one game out of 13 and on the glove side. but i think he did pretty well otherwise.

as for the pens, they won the cup for sure. but they were far from the best team in the league during the regular season. i would say their roster turnover has been a net negative, particularly on D. so they are 1? hmmm.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | August 25, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

The argument against the Caps falls apart when people talk about D. We finished 4th overall with the same D last season, and they're only going to improve as they gain experience. It's a dumb position to take, and I have a feeling it's mostly perpetuated by Penguins fans and other such jerks.

Posted by: thiazzi | August 25, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

People have alrerady posted what I was going to say - Caps last year behind only SJ, Boston and Detroit, with a very young team and lots of injuries. He's not giving Ovie enough credit for "superstar bonus value," which I put awhile back when I ranked the forwards.

Varly should be as good as/better than Johnny. The forwards - a smidge better from experience. Defense - somewhat better if Woods has any influence.

Last year - 108 pts. Next year - 108 to 112 pts. (W/no major injury.)

This Muir fellow is off base.

Posted by: tominfl1 | August 25, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I've been reading these posts with interest. I certainly think Muir at SI is way off base. But I wasn't too worried--the Caps I believed would blow his biased prediction out of the water.

Another major flaw is that this prediction is the only one (that I've read so far so correct me if I'm wrong) that puts the Caps so far down the list. That alone makes me suspect his analysis. I look for averages--throw out the high and the low--and look at where we are generally placed. So far most predictions have us at the high end so I have now thrown out Muir's wacky list.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | August 25, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Muir was doing his predictions between photo shoots of the swimsuit models and looking up hockey highlights on youtube for his piece. How else could he possibly have gotten the ranking wrong? I suppose it sorta' stung that a lot of hockey people have been telling him what a crappy job he did with the article and rankings. I'm with everyone who says not to take the #11 ranking from Sports Illustrated too seriously. That's like being upset that MTV doesn't play too many music videos anymore. =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | August 25, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

For all the hemmming a hawing we are all doing now, the players on the ice that starts camp in September will not be the players on the ice in April. I have no idea who is going or coming, but there will be trades at some point between now ande April. Since the cap came into being it appears that the team that makes the key trade at the deadline wins the cup.

Posted by: RichC3 | August 25, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

There won't be drastic changes come March. Of course the Caps will have to move someone just after training camp ends (they will hold out doing anything prior just in case there is an injury). If everyone comes out of camp unscathed and Carlson and/or Alzner impress ShaMo will be moved if someone will have him. Then at the trade deadline of course the Caps would hope to move Nylander (unless he's become a major cont), and Theo if Varly and/or Neuvy can handle the load, and bring in a rugged defenseman, or patch any little hole that has opened.

Besides those few changes I suspect 14 of 18 go to guys in camp will be the same ones leading us into the playoffs.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 25, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Fanohock1,

Some would say Nylander is already a " major cont" though you may have to change some spelling...

Posted by: superpaqman | August 25, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Now now superpaqman, do u kiss ur grandma with that potty mouth?

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 25, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

@jmurray - I love that you "struck a nerve" with him - he must be getting throttled for his rankings esp by Caps fans, and he probably didn't count on such a response.

Kudos for getting him riled up.

Posted by: guiliano89 | August 25, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Touché....

Posted by: superpaqman | August 25, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

I saw that Directv is dropping Versus...not a big deal in regular season but playoffs?

I have the Center Ice package but Versus showed the finals exclusively, did they not?

Posted by: NJNJ | August 25, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@NJNJ

Versus has a number of exclusive rights and one is the Stanley Cup. You have to believe that not only the NHL, but the Mountain West Conference in the NCAA, and UFC who owns WEC will push Versus into reaching an agreement. I doubt any of those organizations are willing to lose a number of their viewers. While a deal might not be reached by this Thursday or Friday, I'd bet something gets done in the next two weeks once Versus sees DirecTV isn't going to blink.

Posted by: ThePat | August 25, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Caps in Eleventh is a joke. In no aspect is this team weaker than last year's. Defense, where the alleged question mark was, is much improved. (No 'question': last year's blueline was young and hurt.) 50 starts for Theo will be just right for everyone.
I repeat: there's nothing last years Pens did, that this year's Caps can't.

Posted by: redlineblue | August 25, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

FYI.....Mark Christopher at Hockey Buzz has made his predictions for 09/10 season. see his eastern conf. final rankings below. a little better than SI prediction.

1. Philidelphia Flyers
2. Washington Capitals
3. Boston Bruins
4. Pittsburgh Penguins
5. Tampa Bay Lightning
6. Ottawa Senators
7. New Jersey Devils
8. Montreal Canadians

Posted by: doughless | August 25, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

You guys also have to keep in mind that other teams got better. Still, 11th is pretty funny. We will finish top 3 in the East again, no problems. Division is a catch, unless the Canes decide to play a full season.

Posted by: richmondphil | August 25, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I've got DirecTV and don't get VS. either way.

My DirecTV sucks. I can't upgrade it and I don't have ANY hockey channels. I will be streaming/sports bar/friends house this season.

Posted by: richmondphil | August 25, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I think Carolina makes it before Ottawa.

Posted by: thiazzi | August 25, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NFeKPo | August 25, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

NFekPo,
pretty funny list. love those seats behind the pole at the colts stadium. i wouldnt call the bad ice a design flaw. its not like they forgot to put cooling elements below the ice or install AC in the building. the problem is overuse and an seeming unwillingness to turn on the ac to make the arena cold enough. maybe the design flaw was putting it over a subway, but that was kinda hard to avoid.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | August 25, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

espn shows english premier league games live now but they still won't take back the NHL, that lockout gotta go down as the stupidest thing ever in the history of the league.

this is SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS, the most awesome and challenging race track in the world.. can't wait for the race on sunday morning :)

Posted by: joek443 | August 25, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

oops, forgot the link.. LOL

Posted by: joek443 | August 25, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

That quote from Clark about the Caps ice is only about three years old. How about some actual news that is, you know, NEW? Crusty.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | August 25, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

I have never tried to post a link before but here goes. A friend in the New York area sent me this piece about Ovie in a new Russian restaurant as a guest chef around Sept. 8th.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | August 26, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm always chasing channels that carry hockey. My problem is I live in a remote area and only have two options, my local cable company, or Directv. My area doesn't have Verizon FIOS, COMCAST, Time Warner, etc. My local cable company dropped COMCAST Sports Net because it was trying to overcharge them in their opinion 1 1/2 years ago. That is why I became a directv customer. Now directv will be dropping versus because they feel they are being overcharged. I have a hard time being upset with the local cable company or directv, the common denominator seems to be COMCAST. They own Versus too. It's to the point of being rediculous.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 26, 2009 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday as the BB at the ballgame thread came to a close someone asked why BB wore # 19.

The answer: BB wore #19 when he played. I checked the link http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=502 If you click on the team name, the ones that provided a number have BB wearing #19 just about every time.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 26, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse