On the Ice With Josh Godfrey

We* had a chance to put a mic on Capitals prospect Josh Godfrey, a defenseman who was a second-round pick in 2007 and seems targeted for the NHL in 2009-10, at last week's rookie game vs. the Flyers. Take a look -- there's some good action video, as well as a little insight on the kind of player and guy the Caps should be getting in the near future ... Enjoy.

* -- By "we," I specifically mean video staffers Jonathan Forsythe and Francine Uenuma, as well as reporter Katie Carrera. And special thanks go to Nate Ewell and the Caps media relations department for helping make this happen.

By Jon DeNunzio  |  September 23, 2008; 9:40 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clark's Charitable Endeavor
Next: Boudreau, Team B Rallies to Claim Duchesne Cup

Comments

chief sucks

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

sorry didnt mean to be anonymous and by the way this is my first "first"

Posted by: capsfan29 | September 23, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

firST!!!!

Posted by: Jaymagz | September 23, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

It's nice to have Godfrey, Alzner, Dovgan, and Carlson all getting ready for the Caps in the next two seasons. It gives the team a few options when Morrison comes up again next summer for a new contract and how to deal with Jurinca, Erksine, Poti, and Schultz. In other words, more compeitition = better defense.

Posted by: JIM | September 23, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

For the Sami lovers out there, mea culpa, yes, he is in the mix also. I like that the Caps are no longer desperate enough to suit a Doig or Kiwikowski (spelling?). They can invite Pokulok and Cutta without garunteeing anything also. It's a nice place for the Caps to be as opposed to years prior -- or having to overpay aging free agents.

Posted by: JIM | September 23, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Excellent work! Thanks!

Ah yes, hockey season is here ... I'm excited!

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | September 23, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Great piece, cool to have some insight into the guys personality. Im glad they let you mike him up.

Posted by: TJ | September 23, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Very well done, Thanks guys!

Posted by: H23 | September 23, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

If whats in the pipeline doesn't get everyone on D (except Green) motivated to play their absolute best and at their highest possible level, nothing will.

oh man oh man oh man... preseason starts tomorrow! Are the games televised or what? Does anyone know?

Posted by: oo7 | September 23, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

the games are not telivised

Posted by: capfan98 | September 23, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Any chance of tomorrows line-up? will any of the young guys get a change to play in carolina tomorrow

Posted by: capsfan98 | September 23, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

If you have Directv you should be able to see Saturdays game against Boston on NESN at 4 o'clock

Posted by: capsfan29 | September 23, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

"Listen to the effing song!"

Nice to meet Katie Carrera, finally...

Thanks!

Posted by: Dave King | September 23, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else not like the comments Godfrey made after he got hit in the head by the shinpads. I feel fuzzy.... I feel tired... That sounds like a concussion to me :(

Posted by: Graig from Parkville | September 23, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Tarik, I know the home preseason game is a few days away but do you have any idea if the big guys (ovie, semin, feds, ext.) will be playing or will they give some of the guys fighting for positions the ice time? I am just curious because I need to know if I am skipping class in order to make it down there.

Thanks

Posted by: Phil9 | September 23, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

CFan
I think the question is, will there be a vet player on the bus? I expect most of our kids who have even a remote chance to make the team will play in Karo-lima. I would thunk they wil even use the first few games to sort out players for the Bears and Rays. I don't expect to see OV, Green, Backstrom, Nylander, etc make this trip. It will probably be a strange looking Caps team that takes the ice the next two nights. But Hey Its Hockey!!!

Posted by: Bob | September 23, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Bears are going to be very good this year.
I'd love to see how an all Caps-prospect team fared against Carolina in one of the preseason games.

Posted by: Stormblue | September 23, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Would be nice to have a "live wire" like the flyers had last night. Can someone/anyone make that happen??

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | September 23, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

favorite part of the video....

"anyone wanna fight a part-time linesman after the game?"

we should sign him up....

Posted by: nice video | September 23, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I'll post a roster for tomorrow's game when I get it later on. It's probably going to have 26 names on it, although only 23 will travel.

Posted by: Tarik | September 23, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

The NHL mandates that at least 8 vets dres for preseason games, that is 2 less then last year.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

from Bob McKenzie, TSN:
Another veteran player on a big ticket - Washington Capital centre Michael Nylander, who has another three years with a cap hit of $4.875 million per year - is apparently available and while there is considerable interest in him, finding a team with the right financial fit is a challenge. Nylander also has a no-trade clause. The Chicago Blackhawks, who could use a veteran presence in the second-line centre slot, are one of a number of teams that may be trying to work something with Washington on Nylander.

Posted by: Dave King | September 23, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

TSN + Hockey Buzz still equals crap. There is no reason to trade him, so why would we do it?

Posted by: Bob | September 23, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

McKenzie and Eklund may be the same person or McKenzie may be Eklund's retarded brother, I'm not sure which. But do remember that as of yesterday TSN still thought that JT was playing for Colorado.

Posted by: Bob | September 23, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

the games are not telivised

Posted by: capfan98 | September 23, 2008 10:40 AM

And so, once again, Bettman and the brass fail to understand the fan base. The NFL is making a killing on preseason games.

Posted by: oo7 | September 23, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

The Nylander house of sale nonsense is back -- the horror, the horror

Posted by: JIM | September 23, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Awesome video, Godfrey seems like a cool guy but when ever I hear about him I just can't help but think that he'll end up as another Jurcina; hell of a slap shot but not a whole lot else.

Posted by: DC FURY | September 23, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I am not an advocate of trading Nylander. That being said, why would we trade him?

1) it would open up the 3rd line Center spot for Brooks Laich. Clark and Fehr would be second and third line RW but where they ended up would be determined in camp.

2) Would give us room under the cap for the trade deadline. GMGM has said we're fine with the Cap as is, but I still show us as being over by under a million if Alzner makes the team

3) Nylander may not be happy with the idea of starting on a third line, even if it could be considered a second #2 line.

4) With the development of our younger players, we may have herhsey players ready to step up to NHL minutes

why it doesn't make sense to trade Nylander

1) You can never have too much depth at Center. We are prepared to deal with injuries at this point. If Feds goes down, Nylander moves up and Laich becomes #3. If Nylander goes down, Laich becomes #3. If Backstrom's ankle goes gimpy again we have options, etc.

2) Nylander may be playing his last contract and may not be interested in moving from a team that could make some noise in the Spring.

3) Nylander will work some serious magic on the power play

4) Fedorov is only signed for 1 season. If we trade Nylander and Feds calls it quits, one of our Hershey guys had better be ready or we'll have to over spend in the off season.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 23, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

edit: for #4 we may have Hershey guys ready NEXT season.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 23, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Is the scrimmage at noon today? CapsCorndog, will you be able to provide us with your awesome play-by-play again?

@oo7
As much as I dislike Bettman, I'm sure he has nothing to do with preseason being on TV, the NHL doesn't have a national contract for regular season games let alone preseason. I'd bet it's Comcast Sportsnets decision whether or not they want to spend the money to have coverage, and even though we managed to draw about even with the Wiz for at the end of last season, I doubt they'd spend money to cover prospects. Unfortunate for us fans but probably makes economic sense for them.

Posted by: 8b4Ovie | September 23, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

well put, sombrero.

Posted by: oo7 | September 23, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

@ Sombero Guy

Are there any Hershey centers on the cusp of being an NHL center? I think Laich is a much more effective wing than center, btw. I do agree that someone has to be in reserve if that unnamed and unholy bug attacks. And yes, Feds may only be a year long experiment.

Posted by: JIM | September 23, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

whats going on with the scrimmage, by the way?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

that's even with the Wiz for viewers.

Posted by: 8b4Ovie | September 23, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@ anonymous...

Team A up 1-0 with a goal from Beagle... OnFrozenBlog is updating.

Posted by: mdcapsgrl | September 23, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

SG

Well said, I have it on the best authority that we have no cap problem if Alzner plays and Pothier stays out injured.

Posted by: Bob | September 23, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

NHL does have a contract. Bettman is the one that put it in play. He's the commissioner. I think its his job. The point is, they have their own network as well. Is it commercial free? The NFL staretd pushing the preseasin hard the last few years. Why not the NHL? Apparently, there's a market.

Posted by: oo7 | September 23, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero Guy,

Well put, ditto to 007.

I think the main reason to trade Nylander is the salary cap. After all, if Schneider was put on waivers, anybody can be in the same situation.

I really like Nylander, too bad he was injured last season.

Posted by: Dave King | September 23, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

@Graig from Parkville:

yeah, I heard that too... sounds like a possible light concussion... and given that knees and shin pads were involved with his head, I wouldn't be surprised to learn later that he had one...

Posted by: FrankM73 | September 23, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Actually make that 2-0 with a goal from Ovi. Sounds like Theodore has been giving him a hard time but Ovi finally got the better of him.

Posted by: mdcapsgrl | September 23, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

OFB has a recap of the first period and will be updating during the scrimmage...not as good as Corndog though.

Posted by: fullright | September 23, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Tarik's article:
That benching did not sit well with Fleischmann, who increased the intensity of his workouts this summer, focusing on building strength in his legs and improving his aerobic conditioning. Several times each week, he ran six kilometers to the gym, worked out for two hours, then ran home.

I really don't like Fleischman, never did, I don't know what BB sees in him, I guess I had to be in Hershey where Fleisch was their Ovechkin.

It was especially pathetic when Flayers handled him in playoffs like a rag doll. He was the worst.

But still it is impressive than he worked hard in off-season. 12 kilometers several times a week? Sounds like Ovechkin's cross country training in the summer...

Posted by: Dave King | September 23, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't think we have anybody who could immediately replace Nylander or Fedorov in hershey. Perreault is a Center but I think next year would be rushing him. Jay Beagle might get called up at some point this season but he's more of a third line/ fourth line option. Kyle Wilson might be an option as a fill in as well.

I too think Laich was more effective as a wing but his abilitiy to play Center could mean we call up a winger and shuffle around Laich as a Center if a call up is needed.

If Fehr and Flash both have great camps, it could make the Nylander question a bigger deal. Right now it seems like Fehr is the odd man in the press box which I think is a huge shame

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 23, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Nylander was not part of the video shoot last night. Let the speculating commence!

Posted by: jill | September 23, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Feds wasn't either - he got hauled away to debter's prison.

Posted by: keef | September 23, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

F-bomb at 3:10 in Godfrey video.

Definitely sounded like he was describing a concussion to me with words like "groggy" and "tired"

Posted by: notfadeaway | September 23, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

First 3 goalies in the dressing room, now too many of the same type Centers.

Nylander should have never been signed to begin with (again), but that's what happens when you can't acquire anyone other than a money hungry skilled gypsy.

To everyone that wonders what to do without him, how about looking at last season and think about it ?

Posted by: Chief | September 23, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Great job Godfrey. Kudos to the post nice story. What do you think your not going to get F bombs in a hockey game. I don't think it was but who cares. It's great that they did a story on someone other than Alzner. Godfrey you ROCK!!!

Posted by: billy | September 23, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse