Online Chat at 2

Good afternoon. Sorry for the late entry, but I spent much of this morning traveling back from New York, which included an unexpected layover in Philly because of a problem with the train.

Anyway, there's no update regarding the Caps' injured players. It still sounds like Clark, Semin and Poti are are going to be out for tonight's game against Philadelphia. The question now is this: are they going to miss games on next week's road trip? I'm guessing it's very possible.

I'm told Poti is hoping to play Monday in Carolina, but that he's still considerably sore. The status of Clark and Semin is much less certain.

Note:Don't forget to join me for my weekly online chat at 2 p.m. Last week we really had a great discussion going. Hopefully, we'll have some good questions this week, too.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 2, 2007; 12:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Comcast and Cox Agree
Next: Quote Of The Day

Comments

Honestly...at this point I dont care about the injuries.

I just want to know why Hanlon refuses to play Ovechkin with a natural playmaking center. I love Gordon and all...but not as a 1st line center.

Hanlon better get his lines fixed...or he's going to get this team to far behind in the standings to make a run late in the year.

Posted by: strungout | November 2, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

I hope you will answer this:

How much time does Hanlon have?

Posted by: Finn | November 2, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Semin needs to get some super-glue for that glass ankle.

Posted by: fullright | November 2, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Can you explain why Hanlon thought it would be a great idea to put two forwards and one dman out on the 5 on 3 last night? Especially when the Dman was the out of position Schultz. Gordo did a great job (lifted the stick in the slot) as did Steckel but geeze... Schultz was a lost puppy...

Posted by: Blank-em | November 2, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

the ovie, gordon, kozlov line was the least of our problems last night, they actually looked good, really good in the first.

Posted by: try again | November 2, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Lots of teams use 2 forwards on a 5v3 because they play an inverted triangle. The forwards move up if the puck is on their side, and drop back if its not. While the D's sole responsibility is the front of the net

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

putting gordon and steckel out there on the 5-on-3 seemed like a no-brainer to me, it was having schultz out there with them that made me scratch my head a little.

Posted by: sonia | November 2, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

The Caps looked great in the first, but looked a bit flat the rest of the game. They need to get more traffic out in front and put the puck on net! Sloppy garbage goals don't look as pretty on Sports Center, but they count just the same! As my coaches always told me, good things happen when you put it on net, eh...

Posted by: BearsWoooo | November 2, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I really like the Ovie-Gordo-Kozlov line. I thought they dominated most of the game, even though they had nothing to show for it. There is some good chemistry there. I haven't seen that much chemistry on a Caps line since Miller-Ridley-Ciccarelli.

I predict that they will have a BIG game tonight.

Posted by: rod | November 2, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Caps came out in the first last night and showed a lot of energy, but not a lot of smart play in front of Lundqvist. The Rags were playing a 1.2.2 after the first, and did a good job of cutting down passing lanes. The Caps did not adapt and were on their heels. A bad play by a #6 D-man and a horrendously bad call by a ref and game over. Lots of effort, but more of the irritating same. You can take outside shots at a goalie like Lunqvist (or Luongo) all night and none will go in.

I thought that last season (and the one before) that the Caps needed some playmaking to add some ruse to their game. I thought that the skill simply wasn't there. Now seeing that even with better guys, the Caps still look like pylons on the power play (though passing has improved), and that their every move is anticipated by the other team, I'm wondering if it's a systematic thing. I've stayed silent about Hanlon in light of developing chemistry and injuries (we still seem to lack depth- big time), but after watching a more skilled team put in the same hapless effort we've seen the past two seasons only to come up short, I'm started to wonder.

Posted by: bill | November 2, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I agree w/ Rod on the impact of the OV-Gordon-Kozlov line. Gordon played great by knowing his role and not trying to do too much but also not being afraid to get in the play with the more skilled players (he should teach Flash....)

I disagree with Bill's comment about lacking depth. If we were seeing 3rd or 4th line type players go down and the team struggle I would say there's a lack of depth but the reality is that any team is going to have trouble replacing two of its top six forwards and its top defeseman.

Posted by: dmg | November 2, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I really liked Gordo on the line with OV. I'm still not sure about Kozlov though.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Will Semin play again in 2007?

Posted by: Paul Morin | November 2, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Ok, not the reason the Caps aren't scoring, but why is the team soooo enamored with Schutlz??? He's terrible. He doesn't use his size, so he's not really an effective defensive-d, and isn't good with the puck either (despite his nice goal against TO). He should be in Hershey. I don't get it. He's frustrating to watch (then again, so too is Pothier...).

Posted by: My2Cents | November 2, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm a little slow, were do I go to find the online chat?

Posted by: Steve | November 2, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

As for the power play, I've watched about 8 Canadiens games this year (2 in person) and there is no mystery why they are clicking at 30%:

1) They gain possession in the offensive zone by being first on the puck (dump-ins).

2) Accurate ONE-TIMERS that hit the net (Markov & Streit).

3) When the point shot is not available they systematically try to beat you 3 on 2 down.

Posted by: tommyg | November 2, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

We have to cut the nonsense and get right down to business. Nylander and Ovechkin MUST play on the same line. Nylander has shown himself to be one of the best puck control artists in the NHL, if not the best. The combination of Nylander and Ovechkin would be murderous on opponents, no matter who the right wing was. We can't get any worse than shut out! If Ovie gets set up nicely 15 times a game at least one or two will go in.

See The Deuce detailed comments on 3 Grumpy Caps Fans

Posted by: Roger Dad | November 2, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Could someone post the link for the chat.

Posted by: romicva | November 2, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Someone needs to inform Schultz that he's not playing PeeWee hockey anymore. Hit somebody for Christ's sake. Even if it takes him out of position I would give him a standing O for using his body.

Posted by: CapsLunatic | November 2, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Tarik:

The game tonight is posted on the Caps website as being on CSN +. I called the morons at Comcast this afternoon and they were trying to tell me that there is no such channel. Then she had the nerve to ask me if I was interested in adding Digital Voice. Do you have the information for want channels the game will be on (Howard, Montgomery, DC, Fairfax, etc.)? The Comcast web listing doesn't provide it. By the way, why does an out of town Wizard game have precedence over an in town Cap game?

Posted by: Comcast Suxs | November 2, 2007 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I go to the Caps web site, and "E-mail Ted", yeah, good luck with that! Leonsis is in total denial of what is going on. Hanlon is doing a wonderful job in his opinion, and our power-play (ranked in the low 20's within the NHL for 3-years now) needs time to come together. Ron Wilson was fired after 3-years under Ted, AND HE TOOK US TO OUR ONLY CUP APPEARANCE!!!
Why does Hanlon get to stay, he has like a 34% winning percentage?????????

Posted by: BEEF | November 2, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Ron Wilson was a good coach. His Sharks make the play offs every year.
Who would take Hanlon if (!!!) he is ever let go? Belarus?

Posted by: Finn | November 2, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I have taken the liberty to put all of the suggestions from this blog into one sarcastic post:

1. We need to score some goals (more than the other team, or the blog explodes)
2. We need to fix the PP, preferably before we get another PP
3. Schultz needs to stop being a girl - I hear there's surgery for that these days?
4. Semin should be able to play hockey on a sprained ankle. I mean how bad can THAT injury be?
5. Hanlon should be fired. Some think he should be fired out of a cannon into a brick wall.
6. We need to shoot more, preferably in a way that actually has a chance to go in (see #1)
7. Gordon is awesome and can do anything. Maybe he should be a player coach?
8. Olie is either old and overrated or the best goaltender there ever was. There is no gray!
9. Pothier should find a good stick repair place.
10. The Capitals should win every game, including the ones they've already played (what, no do-overs?)
11. Puckguru, unfortunately, is not the Vice President of Operations. Dick somethingorother is.
12. When we lose a game, everyone rants about how we SHOULD have won the game if we'd done such and such differently. When we win the game, the other team must've sucked (see TO).

Hope this helps any newcomers!

Posted by: Raber | November 2, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

ahaha Raber !

13. Backstrom is awsome but playing everywhere but his natural position.

Posted by: Mauree | November 2, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Bruce Cassidy would hire Hanlon!!!!!

Sorry, but you asked.....
I feel shame.

Posted by: BEEF | November 2, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Hey Comcast Sux,

No argument with the premise of your name, but the reason the OUT OF TOWN Bullets game gets preference is that 1) its the NBA, a big three sport, and the NHL is below three; (How far, discsuss later.) And 2) The Caps game is here. You know, here, in DC, where you can BUY A TICKET and actually attend the game yourself. How about that? I've been told there is even some subway type system that takes you to a secret underground lair right below the arena. Amazing!

Posted by: Schultz for Calder | November 2, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Schultz for Calder:
Hey pinhead, I have 4 season tics in the Center Preferred and share them with another person. They're going tonight, I'm not. I've invested over $5,000 for this years tics. Sorry to hear you have the same screwed up attitude Comcast has! Comcast is broadcasting the game and I'm paying for their service. The least they can do is to provide their customers an accurate listing.

Posted by: Comcast Suxs | November 2, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

OK guys for us who live in the sticks and can't get to the phonebooth without a overnight bag. what channel is Direct TV in Frederickburg if the wizards are on the reg. comcast channel????

Posted by: billd | November 2, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who have been living in caves lately, with Cox's addition yesterday every single provider in the metro area now includes CSN+. If you don't know what channel it is in your area, go to comcastsportsnet.com and look in the upper right corner. Enter your zip code, and then click on the name of your provider, and you will find CSN+.

Posted by: norske | November 2, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Ok Comcast Suxs,

You get a pass. Maybe its you and I (4 VIP tix) who are the real pinheads for plowing so much money into Ted's folly so that they can do things like scratch healthy players so they can trade them.

But, for the rest of you, how about buying tickets instead of letting the Flyers fans occupy the seats.

Altogether: "dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun... The Flyers Suk"

Posted by: Schultz for Calder | November 2, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

what is the link to read the chat?

Posted by: hugh jorgan | November 2, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capsfan3 | November 2, 2007 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know where Dino Ciccarelli is today? I met him once when I worked at a toy store in Glen Burnie. He came in with family looking for a specific doll. Ran to my purse to pull out his card which he signed. LOVED Dino Ciccarelli!

Posted by: Meghan | November 2, 2007 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Raber. By far, that is the best post I have read in this blog ever.

Posted by: Opita | November 2, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Gordon is by far the unsung hero of this team, people who know hockey can clearly see this, the rest of you are clueless.

My question to Hanlon: Why is Brash getting so much playing time? The guy is out there in nearly every situation and should only be out there for one.

Pens suck.

Posted by: gordofishing | November 2, 2007 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand the reluctance of this team to shoot on the power play.

Posted by: LivbyDpuck | November 2, 2007 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Here are some words that are going to sting, people...

The rebuild is back on.

This should be Olie the Goalie's last season here - I just don't see us ever winning with this guy. We should let his contract expire or trade him and then go back to our previously scheduled 5 year rebuild - we should definitely draft a goalie this year who will replace Olie.

Let's fire Ted.

Posted by: disgruntledhockeyfanindc | November 2, 2007 8:48 PM | Report abuse

That's a great point! Trade Ollie and OV! Maybe GMGM can get a stick bag and a couple of pucks for them. Good call (_*_)

Posted by: someone else who knows | November 2, 2007 9:08 PM | Report abuse

*chewing Tums & Antacid*
Dammit.

Posted by: mauree | November 2, 2007 9:39 PM | Report abuse

We won't have to trade OV, you moron, he'll be gone as soon as he can possibly get free. You don't actually think OV is waiting to re-up for 10 years in this hockey mecca, do you? Why is it that OV gets hard just thinking about Toronto? Shhh...I'll tell you - he's going to play there 41 times a year in the near future.

Our GM can only lock up guys like a star defenseman, Brian Pothier for 4+ years.

Shocking news - Caps Lose Again. Is this in our 5 year plan? How about our 5 game at a time plan? How about the rebuild is over plan? As long as Ted runs this as part of his business model, this team will lose. The Flyers were the worst team in the league last year - but they're going to make the playoffs.

Posted by: capsstinkbad | November 2, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm overjoyed! Flabbergasted! Nearly speechless. Two scintillating "Playoff calibre" games in succession, eh Mauree?

Posted by: Puckguru | November 2, 2007 9:54 PM | Report abuse

nah I didn't like this game. Stressing to lose like this *munches more Antacids*

Posted by: mauree | November 2, 2007 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know what started the Laich fight tonight? Neither of those guys fight all the much but they were ready to go...not timid at all, no pushing or convincing needed...just dropped them, took off the helmets and went at it. Richards nose was busted up.

Posted by: Pat | November 2, 2007 11:06 PM | Report abuse

prediction: Caps lose next 3 games on road, Hanlon canned.

Posted by: finally on fire-hanlon-bandwagon | November 3, 2007 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I enjoy the Charlie Brownish 'pull-within-1-for-the-last-few-minutes' bit. The 5 minute nailbiter kinda makes you forget the middle 30 minutes of the game, when the Caps dont do much but take stoopid penalties and pass to each others' feet. Wait, no it doesnt.
Kerry Fraser and Jagrl have been dating since the lockout.

Posted by: redlineblue | November 3, 2007 6:56 AM | Report abuse

All of you need to look on the bright side. You only need to look at the first period & then you can switch to something more entertaining & less annoying. After that, you can say the Caps played a great game.

Posted by: sidehillman | November 3, 2007 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Is Ovechkin Stan to Kolzig's Ollie?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 3, 2007 8:35 AM | Report abuse

They way the caps have been playing is a great way for teddy to fill the seats. Some thing needs to change!!!!! If they drop 4 of the next 6, Hanlon better be gone or big GMGM will find himself in the unemployment line.

Posted by: finally on fire-hanlon-bandwagon #2 | November 3, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

As much as I love Hanlon, and I know the players do too, something needs to change. They have the talent, but they're just not producing like everyone expected. I wish Hanlon could have the chance to take the team to the playoffs with all of the work he's done for the team, and I'm sure the players would love to get there for him, but it's just not happening.

Posted by: Hanlon needs to go | November 3, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

figured out the scoring problem for flash. he has been facing forward and the pucks have been on the ice.

laich is earning his keep.

Posted by: jim | November 3, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

ok, all the Caps apologists, including many in the media, have been blaming the Semin-Clark-Potty injuries to these rash of losses. They may have a point, putting aside the fact that many other teams have significant injuries too but still perform great; but they do have a point. The next 3 weeks are crucial. The injured top players should be back by then. If they still play sub .500, then we the fans deserve change. 3 years of atrocious Caps hockey! I won't stand for another one!! Boston, Philly, LA, these teams were worse than us last year! Look at the standings this year!!!

Posted by: finally on fire-hanlon-bandwagon #3 | November 3, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh... Love to read this board. There were a bunch of great ones about that loss:

Puckguru, sidehillman, and jim all get props from me today for making me laugh after that pitiful game last night.

The best part is the "Caps get the day off" bit. Put them on the bleeping ice and work them until they have some fire. What's ironic is that now there are more caps working hard. The almost cut boys (Laich, Suts, Flash) showed they came to play. The big stars (Nylander, Kozlov, even OV) carried the puck too much.

Remember last year when Semin tried to take on the whole opposing team by himself? He didn't have a choice last year, I dont fault him for that. Green, OV, Kozlov, and Nylander are doing that all the time now. Can we go back to passing? I recall winning a few games this season by passing.

Posted by: Raber | November 3, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Raber:
This "passing" that you speak of is curious to me. If you do not mean 'firing the puck into your teammates skates' (which *I* think the Caps do quite well), please explain your quaint notion. Is it allowed? How might it be helpful? Won't our opponents try it too?

Posted by: redlineblue | November 3, 2007 7:11 PM | Report abuse