Ovechkin a "possibility" for tomorrow

Alex Ovechkin won't play tonight against the Wild, but Coach Bruce Boudreau said there's a "possibility" that he'll suit up tomorrow in New Jersey.

"He feels great," Boudreau said of the two-time MVP. "I said go over and talk to [head athletic trainer Greg Smith]. That means he's getting really close."

Ovechkin's progress was apparent this morning at KCI, where he looked, to me at least, to be ready to go. He was skating and stickhandling at full speed and blasting one-timers in drills.

"I feel better every day," he said.

Pressed on where he is percentage wise, he cracked, "five percent," before turning serious. "I don't know, maybe [I'm at] 99-percent, maybe 100," he said.

Asked whether he will play tomorrow, he said, "Let's wait for tomorrow for what's going to happen tomorrow. Right now, the team play well. I hope they going to play the same way when I come back."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 13, 2009; 11:39 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Varlamov to start
Next: Jurcina out, Steckel questionable

Comments

The Devils are praying he plays so they can sell some tickets.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 13, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin rocks.

"Let's for tomorrow for what's going to happen tomorrow. Right now, the team play well. I hope they going to play the same way when I come back."

Truer words...

Posted by: irockthered | November 13, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Take the night off, be fresh for the 2nd on a back-to-back.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 13, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

From two threads ago:

Poor Pittsburgh fans, you've got to feel sorry for them. Pathetic.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | November 13, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Dislike them? O.K. Feel sorry for them? Their Pens have multiple Cups. Ours has potential. I'd rather have the Cups.

Posted by: rbpalmer
_____________________________

You're darned right I feel sorry for Pens fans. The Caps are a talented and exciting team with a great head coach and fan base, not to mention a fantastic home venue. The Caps have Ovie as opposed to Crosby (which is how this discussion started.) Watching Ovechkin and listening to him talk always makes me feel happy that he's on the Caps and not on another team. If I were a Pens fan, I'd have to try to like Crosby, and there has NEVER been a time when I've listened to that guy and not thought "what a pathetic, self-important, selfish thinker." It's always ALL about Syndey. Ovechkin (OvechKING!) includes his teammates in discussions and gives respect to rivals.

The Caps will win the Cup, if not this season, then soon. I sure as heck hope it's this year, and I'll be cheering them all the way, win or lose.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | November 13, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse