Thursday Practice Update

Practice just started here at KCI and Alex Ovechkin and Alexander Semin are on the ice and appear to be participating fully. Both wingers left Wednesday's practice early with nagging injuries, but it's now pretty clear they'll be ready for tomorrow night's season-opener in Atlanta.

Line combos are the same as Wednesday's.

The power play units heading into the opener will be as follows:

1) Ovechkin and Fedorov on the point, Kozlov on the wall, Laich in front and Semin on the goal line.

2) Ovechkin and Green on the point, Nylander on the wall, Clark in front and Backstrom on the goal line. (This unit figures to be as good as most team's first PP, so long as someone can win a faceoff.)

"I don't have a No. 1 and No. 2 unit," Boudreau said. "Whoever is playing the best will start and a lot of it will have to do with who is coming off the ice. I really don't want to define who is No. 1 and who is No. 2."

A few other notes and quotes:

*Ovechkin and Semin are fine, Boudreau said.

"The had bumps and bruises," he said. "Sometimes skilled guys need some time off because they play a lot of hockey."

*Several players wore jerseys with pink numbers and name plates on them in recognition of Hockey Fights Cancer month. The jerseys will be auctioned off Saturday night behind section 104 at VC.

*Speaking of pink, Morrisonn barely lost the pink helmet game to Ovechkin today.

*Boudreau has lots of reasons to look forward to tomorrow's opener, not the least of which is facing off against best friend John Anderson, the Thrashers' new head coach.

"I hope he wins the next game," Boudreau said. "If there's anything emotionally, it's going to be looking across the bench and, 'Wow, that's pretty cool.' We've been talking for many, many years about coaching in the NHL and here we are, coaching against one another."

Boudreau said there's nothing on the line between the friends. He also said they've talked this week, but not about the game.

*Doesn't look like Theodore will have his new mask in time for tomorrow's game.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 9, 2008; 10:40 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau On WPL
Next: Tonight's Lineups In ATL

Comments

Posted by: first? | October 9, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Man, I can't belive the season is HERE!!

This is the first year in a long while I've been excited about Caps!

Posted by: CantMissKid | October 9, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

(from the previous)

Jill:
Thanks! :-)

Greg:
I agree (with both of your last posts).

Sombrero:
I thought the same thing when I read that. Not sure about Ovie and Malkin, but I always got the sense the Ovie and Crosby respect one another as players (more so than their opposing fans).

Posted by: Boo! | October 9, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

any idea of the line combo's for tomorrow night?

Posted by: AJ | October 9, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Glad to hear they're OK! :)

Posted by: i rock the red | October 9, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I am so excited that the season is finally starting and I'm glad to hear that both Semin and Ovechkin are on the ice!

Posted by: 408 | October 9, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Any sense on what type of "nagging injuries" OV and Semin are experiencing? I know they want to keep quiet about it, but can you tell from the way they are skating?

Thanks!

Posted by: Danny | October 9, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Most hang overs only last a few hours. Glad the Vodka finally wore off. Couple Tylenols and some sleep works wonders!

Posted by: Hangover gone | October 9, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

RE: Sid and OV's 'relationship'

From ESPN and directly from Sidney Crosby's fingers:

Art (Boston, Mass): What do you think of the rivalry the media has created between you and Alex Ovechkin? Are you guys on good terms?

Sidney Crosby: We don't hate each other. But we're not best friends. It's a pretty big rivalry to watch, because our games have gotten a lot of attention.

Posted by: Jeff | October 9, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

REPOST
@ Boo RE:Not sure about Ovie and Malkin,

I went to the NHL All Star game in Atlanta and left with the distinct impression that there is definitly a real issue between Malkin and Ovie. There was not any interaction at all between the two of them that I saw. I watched Ovie most of the time. I was sitting in the lower bowl behind the Eastern Conferences end of the ice. Malkin basically stood next to Gonchar constantly and Ovie mostly hung out with Kovalchuk and Markov but was mingling quite a bit with the other players except the Pens tandem. This was observed throughout the course of the skills competition porition of the weekend there.

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Metallica wrote a song about tomorrow. Its called "The Day that Never Comes."

Christ, its been a long offseason.

Posted by: Graham | October 9, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Riddler

Do you think that almost getting your head taken off by a flying Ovie would have anything to do with that?

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I was not cler memory wise if that hit in the corner came before or after the AS break. Judging by your comment it was indeed before. Also, I believe there was the other issue that may have led to the "cold war" between them when Ovie supposedly punched Malkin's agent over in Russia. Anyway, I believe the mutual dislike is actually between Malkin and Ovie more so then Crosby and Ovie. It was interestin when a photographer got the 5 Eastern Conference players together for a photo. Guess who was on one end and who was on the other-LOL

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Greg.S
Sorry, I put your name in the wrong place above.

I was not clear memory wise if that hit in the corner came before or after the AS break. Judging by your comment it was indeed before. Also, I believe there was the other issue that may have led to the "cold war" between them when Ovie supposedly punched Malkin's agent over in Russia. Anyway, I believe the mutual dislike is actually between Malkin and Ovie more so then Crosby and Ovie. It was interestin when a photographer got the 5 Eastern Conference players together for a photo. Guess who was on one end and who was on the other-LOL

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Malkin can't speak english which is why he was standing with gonchar who is his translater. Nonetheless, he is still penguin which equates to him being a punk

Posted by: stevo | October 9, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

5 Eastern Conference Russian born players that is.

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Re Syd an OV. In other words, they are professionals and rivals. They probably respect each other as players but still hope the other and their team fail relative to them and thier own team. They'll do the league promos and whatever, and in 20 years when they are retired they'll exchange pleasantries.

The Malkin relationship is trickier. I seem to recall they used to be roomies on the Russian squad. If that relationship has soured, then too bad for Russia.

Posted by: old time hockey | October 9, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, watch that use of my name! I've got copyrights on it! :)

Actually, I don't recall either, but I think it was just before. And you're right, Ovie did deck his agent, and did some crunch time on Malkin during the year anyway. There's no love lost there at all.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

A russian ice girl got in between ovechkin and malkin.

I, on the other hand, am chillin with my redskinettes. Eat your heart out brooksie!

Posted by: mike green | October 9, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

My memory was a bit off but this is as close as Malkin and Ovie got to each other. I think it's great that there is some sort of ill will. It makes for more interesting hockey when they play each other. I think Ovies response to that crushing hit on Malkin last year was something along the lines of that he wanted his teamates to know it's about winning hockey games and not friendships.

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

The Ovechkin Malking hit was in this game on 1/21/08

If you ever watch video of that, Malkin is SO lucky Green glided in between Ovechkin and Malkin, otherwise OV may have really hurt Malkin. If you watch it, as Malkin circles the net OV is flying in there, and had to turn away at the last second to avoid Green, which is why he went awkwardly into the boards.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 9, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Time has been draggin this week!

OV's hit was before the All Star break. There was an incedent later in the game i think Where malkin started jawing to OV. The got in each others face, but that ended it.

Anyone else upset that Heph's girlfriend moved out? poor guy....

Posted by: Leeguru | October 9, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

1) You'd have an easier time attaining national security secrets than getting factual news concerning injuries.
2) In the old days (before the lockout) it was only during the playoffs that teams became super coy with respect to types of injuries. Now with the new rules(even more strict than last year) we won't even be told if the injury is upper or lower body, etc. Not that we believed what we were told half the time anyway.

Posted by: Fauxrumors | October 9, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

We could win without Ovie and Semin. Call up Bourque, and get some Hall-of-Fame Pedigree in the mix.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 9, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy

Thanks for the carification. I read that game summary and it reminded me how great that game was. That was one of the best games all year, outside of the playoffs and the final week or two when we had to win out.

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Re: That Caps shoot out Victory over the @#$#@pens;

That was seriously one of the most entertaining games I have ever watched.

Ovi and Malkin put on a scoring clinic.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | October 9, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Where would be the best place to order a CAPS jersey? I am going to the game in Dallas on the 25th. I want to rock my red in the Dallas arena and show my support. Might make it to Tampa later in the season.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | October 9, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Fauxrumors,

The whole injury issue has always been a black eye for the league. Of course, are own GMGM was right up there with the worst offenders-LOL

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Here is the video. Its clear especially on the final angle that OV had to turn to avoid Green, but that idiot and former Pens coach Olczyk is doing the color commentary for the game so he gives full credit to Malkin.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 9, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Remember that cross-ice pass that Backstrom sent to Ovie for the one-timer goal in that game? GAWD what a pass.

Posted by: Jordan | October 9, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Capsfannmiss

Drop me an email at-

EmailRiddler@aol.com

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Capsfannmiss
I'll sell you mine for $120... Brand new never worn.

Posted by: MNMNT | October 9, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy
Actually, thats the Thrashers color man-Darren Elliott. I say Mike Green saved Malkins life inadvertently. What a gamne that was!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I like how it's been characterized as a Malkin hit on Ovie. Just shows how deeply Canadian sports reporters prefer Cindy (and the Pens by association) to AO and the Caps.

Fine with me! We have the far superior player. They can Kiss up to the Pens all day long, so long as we put them in their place.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

@MNMNT is it a blank jersey?

Posted by: Go Skins Go | October 9, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I wish I could tell work that my hangovers are nagging injuries. :)

Posted by: keef | October 9, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have an idea if the caps introductions will be televised for the home opener? They used to be broadcast until the last few years.

Posted by: joe | October 9, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

@ Joe; not sure if they'll do the intro, but they'll show the banner drop.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | October 9, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Classic new Ovie quote-

"I just want to have fun and I am just normal people. If I go out with different girls, it doesn't matter. I have a thousand girls, and then it is 'Oh, now who's my girlfriend?' If I go out with my friends and I go watch a movie with my friends' girls, then what is ... it is no situation. I think it is good. I think it is normal thing."

Rock the red, Ovie!!

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

the new intro will make its way to you tube in no time.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 9, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | October 9, 2008 11:46 AM

Thank God you are not the GM.

Posted by: Hooch | October 9, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

GO SKINS GO
It's not, but you can remove the stitching with one of those handy stitch removers. Huet's info is on it. I paid $180 for it, i was going to have it removed and put another number/name on it. So I could sell it for $120 and buy a new one or remove it myself and send it out again for another 75 bucks to have it stitched up.

it ends up costing the same anyways. I've been to busy to remove it myself.

Posted by: MNMNT | October 9, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Also...
it's a Large.
I think it looks really sharp. But I also bought a vintage one so I've been wearing that to games. I haven't decided who I want to put on the new one...

Posted by: MNMNT | October 9, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

*dust off the looooooooong offseason*

Yeah! Yeah! It's Caps Hockey time! Finally!

Let's Go Caps
LETS GO CAPS
LeT's Go CaPs
LeT's Go CaPs

Posted by: mauree | October 9, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I was watching the NHL Network last night... watching LA vs Edmonton in the playoffs. I'd love it if for a couple games where the Phone Booth played no music and just played organ music like the old times throughout the whole game.

Posted by: MNMNT | October 9, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I have the new Ovechkin jerseys in size L and XL. Both white and red and brand new with tags. Beware though that these jerseys are a smaller cut then the previous styles.

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I watched those two teams play the other night also. It's odd looking to see the white boards and basically a logo-less ice surface. Did you see the fans basically sitting right behind the benches with ust railings seperating them? Now that would be a seat to have.

Posted by: MNMNT | October 9, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

MNMNT

I can't seem to figure out that my name goes in the box and the person I'm talking to goes in the bigger box yet-HELP

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Yeah and I liked how the one guy's head was always in the shot on the far right side. I just love the organ music. It's gotta sound a little f'd up, but that's what makes it awesome. You can't even tell if the one at VC is recorded or not, it's too polished. Damn you Jordan Kitts Pianos.

Posted by: MNMNT | October 9, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm ready for the season to start!

The only lineup issue that makes me cringe is seeing a pairing like Erskine-Poti. In other words, on starting night Erskine might be our top-4 D. That's just silly. But that'll get fixed by the end of this year, as its only a matter of time before Alzner/Lepisto step in.

Overall, we're absolutely loaded!!

Posted by: Vlad | October 9, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Last I knew Ovie and Crosby aren't best friends but they aren't enemies either. Crosby reached out to Ovie to get an autograph for his sister so that sounds a lot more like they respect each other and are friendly. No bad blood. Although I'm sure it ruins the story line for TSN!

Malkin and Ovie are competitive friends, simply that. If anything Ovie makes an effort to talk to and mingle with other players because he's already good friends with Malkin, Gonchar, etc. Remember the kid is statesman for his sport, his country and the Caps...it shows in everything he does!

Posted by: CapsSighting | October 9, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

@Capsfannmiss

Go on ebay theres a guy on there from Sweden who is selling them now for 75.00 and 15.00 to ship. I just got mine the other day and it looks great to me.

Posted by: Joe | October 9, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

That was for a buy it know

Posted by: Joe | October 9, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Flash is the casuality for having a lot of skilled forwrds. No scheduled PP time for him at this point. He loked great on the PP in preseason.

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

On pink helmets: ROFL! Want one!

On closed comments due to SPAMming morons: grrr!

On Ovechkin on the Power Play: Yikes! Watch out for those pucks, but if he can get us a couple more short-handed goals, that would kick butt!

On everything else: LET'S GO CAPS!

Is it Friday yet?!

Posted by: i rock the red | October 9, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I am coming down From Ontario for the HOme opener and the Canucks game for my bachelor party. Section 411!!! I cant wait!! I have been a Caps fan for about 22 years. If you see 5 drunk Canadians came and say hi!!!

Posted by: Brad | October 9, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Is Theodore playing Friday and Saturday?

Posted by: SA-Town | October 9, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

How is it possible that Ovie nearly lost the pink helmet game?

I was intrigued to hear BB say on WaPo Live that Ovie will continue to be on the ice for the full 2 minutes on the PP, but from the posted units looks like that will be the case...and staying on the point.

Theo needs his new mask! Sure is taking a long time to make those adjustments.

Posted by: Jill | October 9, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Riddler: I might argue your stance on the issues between Ovi and Malkin. I sat right on the Eastern Conference tunnel at the All Star Game in January and have a great picture of the two of them talking and Ovi has a nice big smile on his face. I think there is more media hype about the 'cold war' then actually exists.

Posted by: Blonde Caps Fan | October 9, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey Theo, masks are for pansies!

Posted by: Gump Worsley | October 9, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Sad news to report on a former Cap netminder-

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Definitely was a good day to play hooky...er I mean...that chinese food poisoned me....

Posted by: Egon | October 9, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Blonde Caps Fan
Could be. I guess more info will be available as the season unfolds.

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

btw, the caps "rock the red" video played on tsn's season preview and sportscenter last night as part of a feature on ovie.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 9, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Riddler: I'd be sad for him, except that he seems to have done it to himself through an absolutely retarded stunt that any gun owner should have known better than to try.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 9, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Damn man, Mallard can't buy a break these days. I hope that was accidental.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 9, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I remember Clint having a few emotional issues that nearly derailed his career. I hope it was a stupid accident as opposed to the other possibilities.

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I think everyone remembers this episode shortly after the Caps traded him to Buffalo-

WARNING VERY GRAPHIC

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

He does have 7 left now.

Too soon?

Posted by: Section 117 | October 9, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope Theodore doesn't have to wait a year and a half to finally get his Capitals mask only to be deactivated a few months later....

Brent Johnson...

Posted by: Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) | October 9, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Of course he's beligerent! First and foremost, he's a hockey player - "it's only a scratch", and secondly, it was dumber than dirt thing to do.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Re the pink helmet competition. Ovi hit the post on pretty much all his shots. His reactions were pretty funny. My highlight though was in the second or third round when sergei was going someone on the team called him grandpa.

Posted by: pants | October 9, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

For those who were at the opening video shoot, the TSN feature has been posted: http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip101113#clip101113

Posted by: Jill | October 9, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@MNMNT - the organ at the Phone Booth is live. They couldn't time recordings that well, and I've heard him screw up what he's playing before. :) They also announce who the organist is at the top of each game, usually...

@Riddler - I'm very glad Malarchuk is still alive to be belligerent at the paramedics, and I hope it really was an accident. I can't imagine anyone trying to commit suicide with a .22, though, and his story says he was shooting rabbits and put the gun down between his feet and it discharged, so it probably was.

Malarchuk is a very lucky, lucky man! It was Clint Malarchuk who got his throat slit on the ice back in 1989 when he was playing for the Sabres and just barely made it.

I believe it took something like 300+ stitches to close him up, and if he hadn't had the right guy RIGHT THERE when he skated himself off the ice, or if he'd been at the other end of the ice, or any number of factors - 1/8" higher on the carotid artery - he would not have made it.

Lucky, lucky man!

Posted by: i rock the red | October 9, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

One of the key advantages the Caps have is excellent organizational depth. The AHL affiliate is deep in players that could step in at the NHL level if needed. The only other team in the East I see with that kind of depth is Philly.

Posted by: Roy Hobbs | October 9, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@Riddler - and you posted the video. I missed that before posting all that SPAM about the injury. :) Wow. I remember watching it at the time, but I had forgotten how nasty that was.

Posted by: i rock the red | October 9, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I was just thinking about the Malarchuk's thorat injury which led me to remember Zednick's throat injury and then to recall Thiesman's broken leg. I guess Sean Taylor's death from a severed leg artery could somehow be linked into this conversation. Weird that three of the most graphic/grusome injuries involving the four major sports all have distinct DC sports scene connections. I hope we are done with them.

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@Riddler - your mouth, God's ear!

Posted by: i rock the red | October 9, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

And yeah - that was a SERIOUSLY dumb thing to do with a gun!

Posted by: i rock the red | October 9, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

No kidding... Let's move on to some brighter, lighter conversation.

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Alex Ovechkin is the ugliest pro hockey player alive. MSN.com has him with his mom, hate to bash but he's FUGLY.

Posted by: Whoa | October 9, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Whoa ... your point? He's not paid for his looks. He's paid to play hockey. We could always give Paris Hilton and/or Britney Spears a pair of hockey skates and a stick and put them out on the ice against the Flyers.

Hey ... you know, there might be something to that ....

Posted by: this space for rent | October 9, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

@Whoa - have you seen Rod Brind-Amour? Evgeni Malkin?

Posted by: Jill | October 9, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@TSFR - Paris Hilton and Brittney Spears in hockey skates? Could be highly amusing!

@Woah - naah, he's kinda cute in a "broken front tooth, mussy hair" sort of way. ;-)

Posted by: i rock the red | October 9, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Rock the Red,
I know they're live, but I want to hear the squeaky pipe organ music. I've heard them mess up too, but it just sounds too polished.

Posted by: MNMNT | October 9, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Whats everyone doing tomorrow's game? Super and I are looking for a place to grab some drink and cheer on our Caps.

Summers?

Posted by: 94 | October 9, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

i myself find OV VERy attractive! He's a beautiful hockey player, and he wears Caps red!

Posted by: Leeguru | October 9, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

@Whoa

You like pretty boys, don't ya?

Posted by: real men are ugly | October 9, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, mauree is back!! Let the video streaming begin!! :-D

BTW, interesting blog today - rivalries, injuries, men with less than optimal appearances ... sounds like hockey season is upon us!!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | October 9, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

what's the difference between real man and whoa?

lipstick

Posted by: I bet whoa likes this boy | October 9, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

@ Brad.

Where abouts from Ontario?

Posted by: LFR | October 9, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Jeff Friesen is available.

Can never be too deep, right ?

Posted by: Chief | October 9, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Chief = Loser

Posted by: MikeR | October 9, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

@MNMNT - Maybe they can use one of the alternative sounds in their fancy electronic organ to bring back the old style...

Did they ever have a REAL pipe organ in there, or was it all elecronic? I mean, pipe organs take up a LOT of space! You can get small ones, but they're painfully expensive, and even the smallest ones need a space tall enough for the longest (lowest-sounding) pipe, and I can't imagine them using anything shorter than a 16-footer for that. Each rank takes up space side-to-side as well.

The smallest pipe organ I've seen required roughly triple the space behind the console as the console itself took up just for the pipes, and that didn't include the mechanism to run it, since you need a blower, etc. to force air through the pipes. It would have to be pretty powerful...

Posted by: i rock the red | October 9, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

@I bet whoa likes this boy:

MY EYES!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: i rock the red | October 9, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 9, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey Chief,
Did you get rid of your cute little boxer bear tattoo yet?

Posted by: MNMNT | October 9, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Rock the Red,
I dunno. Just have them whatever they used in the 60's, 70's, 80's.

It's just when I watched that game last night, it was like hockey's supposed to be. That game was from 1982, and the crowd was all into it. I don't like the snare drum thing they do at the Verizon Center from the keyboardist either.

Posted by: MNMNT | October 9, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

@Whoa

I bet you want George Michael to sing every National Anthem dont you?

Are you in love with Scotty Hartnell?

Posted by: Must be a Flyer Fan | October 9, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Will Jose start both games this weekend?

Posted by: Gang Green | October 9, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Whats up Boo!

Hehe you're darn right about the streams :D

@I bet whoa likes this boy
hahaha!

I already started the thrash-talking with a Penguins fan who thought that 1) the PENS-SENS game were pre-season and 2) that it didn't matter cause the PENS won both game (in reality they're 1-1) *rolls eyes*

Posted by: mauree | October 9, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I skipped out of work to hit the gym and while i was ont he treadmill, Matthew Barnaby was on ESPN. I didn't have headphone on but it was the typical "Ovechkin or Crosby" question and he picked "Crosby". I have no idea what he said or what the rationale was but I figured I would kick the dead horse by mentioning this haha.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 9, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

MNMNT -- (Sorry - I am a music geek as well as a hockey geek!)

Probably it was a console organ. An actual pipe organ - though they did have those in movie houses years and years ago, that predated the 1960s by a few decades - isn't terribly likely.

Electronic, non-pipe organs have been around since Hammond came out with one in the 1930s, and in the 1980s, the advent of the integrated circuit allowed the sounds to be produced digitally rather than via analog means - which is most likely where the difference in tonal quality comes from.

Smaller console organs of the 1960s-70s time period did not have all the fancy shmancy stops we have available today - including the snare drum stop. And they sounded kindof wheezy.

I'll bet we could find out what they had, though - and I'm curious now, LOL!

These days, the sound effects are all done electronicaly, and it may well involve a MIDI sampler. Some of the better organs have one of those. It's entirely possible they can set the thing up to sound like anything you want it to, including a 1960s-70s console organ! Of course, the better MIDI samplers, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a keyboard-generated snare drum effect and a real snare drum...

As an amusing side note, on a real pipe organ, they would have an actual snare drum if they wanted a snare drum effect - I've seen one that does; it's at the Paramount Music Palace, formerly in Indianapolis, Indiana, but now somewhere in California... HUGE pipe organ, 72 ranks of pipes, and the big bass pipe is - I *think* - a 64 footer.

Posted by: i rock the red | October 9, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Riddler,

We should start a pool now re: who Atlanta is going to trade Ilya to at the 2010 trade deadline.

I'm hoping it's the Pens so they can further deplete their stock pile of prospects.

Posted by: Steve R | October 9, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

@ LFR

I am from a town just outside of St.Catharines. Onatrio.

Posted by: Brad | October 9, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

ROCK THE RED,
haha awesome. yeah I just want the wheeziness. I just think it'd be cool to have them keep some of the original elements as we had into new uniform materials, HD JUMBOtrons, and all sorts of other things...

I just wish they'd utilize it more. It's a lost art form.

Posted by: MNMNT | October 9, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Steve R

I just read an artice on that very subject yesterday-

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

@Riddler - that linky no worky

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 9, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Riddler | October 9, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I think the pipes get to be about 32'. Still, that's over 10 YARDS long. Makes a big noise.

In St. John the Divine in NYC they have a double rank of trumpets pointing out to the congregation. They are chained down and the chains imbedded in 5' of concrete so the pipes don't let loose. They can't let them go full out because it would break the glass in the church. Not to mention a few ear drums.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S. - Wow. I'll be darned - the Mighty Wurlitzer at Roaring 20s Pizza and Pipes out in California only has a 16'er. I swear it was bigger than that! Ah - they list a "Contra Bourdon 32'" but that may not be the actual size of the thing...

And the trumpets - wow. I love those things. The MW has a trumpet set as well; it's on the back wall, and yeah - I can see that for volume. Pipe organs - full sized ones - are LOUD! I always wanted to pull out all the stops and stand on the low bass pedal on the MW, just to watch the building shake! 'Cause it would.

Here're the specs: http://www.roaring20spizza.com/specifications.htm

(As a side note, I went to university with one of the two organists out there. They BOTH moved with the organ from Indianapolis to California when it was sold. There are only a handful of people in the world who *can* play this thing - 5 manuals, plus foot, and 350 controls!)

And you're right - 32' is the longest. The Wanamaker Organ (largest in the world) in Philadelphia has several of them. The console on that thing is IMPRESSIVE. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/ConsoleOrgueWanamaker.jpg

Posted by: i rock the red | October 9, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

WTF!!!!!!!!! VS HD is showing LPGA! I mean who gives a flying duck? The LPGA??? That sucks so big!!!

Posted by: Bob | October 9, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Hey mauree:
Welcome back - we missed you! :-)

Sombrero:
That makes me crazy ... how often will Ovie have to prove himself?!?

Boy, tough crowd here today! Has the endless wait for tomorrow made everyone cranky?!? Hang in there - it's almost over! Don't kill your fellow fans in the meantime!! ;-)

LET'S GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Boo! | October 9, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

us regular vs customers get the game. complete with def leppard and a stanley cup banner.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 9, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Mauree's back, no way! I didn't even see that. Welcome back, friend! Hope your offseason went well.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 9, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Ummmm, five words. Brian. Engblom's. Hair. Holy crap!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 9, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Versus HD is currently showing the Detroit Red Wings vs. the Toronto Maple Leafs. They'll be showing the Colorado Avalanche vs. the Boston Bruins at 10:20 PM Eastern tonight.

Right now, it's Toronto 2, Detroit 1 at the end of two periods.

Posted by: i rock the red | October 9, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Toronto just took a 3-1 lead over Detroit. About 12 minutes to go in the game.

Posted by: MikeR | October 9, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

In another life, music was my life. Seriously considered classical music as a career until I found out how much they DIDN"T make. I was in Columbus (now American) Boychoir and sang Christmas seasons in the Wanamaker in the afternoon and then went to the Philly Orchestra under Ormandy. They still use the Wanamaker organ 2x a day 6 days a week. That's worth the trip to Philly, besides watching the Caps pound the Flyers. It makes a glorious noise.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

mauree! You scurvy dog! Welcome back! How's Italy treating you these days?

Been a long summer without you. We tried to trade Chief, but there were no takers. Even a gratis.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

*high fives everybody*

Watching the Wings-Leafs too (Toronto looks interesting, even though it's just one game).

I think tomorrow I'll have to fight tears when watching our Caps on the ice again.

Posted by: mauree | October 9, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Greg S. - I, too, very nearly made music a career, but my direction was as a teacher. I studied cello for two years at Butler before back trouble caused by tension forced me to change my major to journalism. Now I'm a network engineer with an English degree; go figure. ;)

I seriously want to go and hear the Wanamaker organ one of these days. I'm less than two hours south of Philly, and hey - Caps pounding the Flyers? Bonus!

As a side note: Maple Leafs 3, Red Wings 2, final!

1:40 to go for the Colorado-Boston game on Versus HD.

Posted by: i rock the red | October 9, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Greg S. - Philly Orchestra as a performer or a member of the audience?

Posted by: i rock the red | October 9, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

And who saw the LEAFS beating the Wings? I know Wilson's good, but dayum!

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Performer. I'm a vocalist. Or was. Child prodigy and all.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Greg S. - Impressive. Very! :)

And as for the Leafs - they were impressive, too. But we need to keep a serious eye on a certain Wings player, one #96, Tomas Holstrom. He snuck both goals in past the Leafs' goalie when he was otherwise occupied trying to stop the puck somewhere else. He's fast, and he plays very well in tight places - like in a press around the goal.

Posted by: i rock the red | October 9, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Ken Holland is a brilliant GM in Detroit and has built one heck of a team. Shame to mess up their opening night with the raising of the banners and all. I'm sure they'll be a dominant force in the NHL this year. I think they'll repeat. Not a popular sentiment here, I know.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Greg S,

Yup, Detroit is going to be tough this year. But I wouldn't want to bet against either Dallas or the Sharks at this point.

Posted by: Steve R | October 9, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Bruins vs. Avalanche

At the end of the 1st period, the Bruins are tied with the Avalanche at 2-2.

Goals to:

BOS - #81 - Phil Kessell @ 06:21 (EV)
COL - #23 - Milan Hejduk @ 10:02 (PP)
BOS - #42 - Blake Wheeler @ 10:51 (EV)
COL - #8 - Wojtek Wolski @ 16:52 (EV)

Posted by: i rock the red | October 9, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Sharks will be tough. I'm not too sure about Dallas, though. Montreal will be hard, too.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Just saw an alert about metro track maintanence over the weekend. Leave extra time to get to the phone booth.

"METRO ALERT - Fans attending the games this weekend including the opening night game on Oct 11 vs Chicago, and the Columbus Day game on Oct. 13, vs Vancouver please leave extra time to reach the Verizon Center due to track maintainence and holiday schedule. Red and Orange lines affected on Saturday and all tracks affected Monday."

Posted by: Greg S. | October 9, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Bruins vs. Avalanche

At the end of the 2nd, the game is still tied, 3-3.

Goals to:

COL - #55 - Cody McLeod (EV) @ 06:34
BOS - #91 - Marc Savard (PP) @ 10:43

Flames vs. Canucks

At the end of the 1st, it's Canucks 1, Flames 0.

Goal to:

VAN - #33 - Henrik Sedin (EV) @ 16:25

Ducks vs. Sharks

At the end of the 1st, the game was tied at 0-0. At almost halfway through the 2nd, it's Sharks 2, Ducks 0. Goal summary next update. :)

Posted by: i rock the red | October 9, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Final Score

Bruins 5, Avalanche 4

~7:30 to go in the 3rd

San Jose 3, Anaheim 0

~18:00 to go in the 3rd

Vancouver 3, Calgary 0

And I'm for bed. Night, all! :)

Posted by: i rock the red | October 10, 2008 12:48 AM | Report abuse

12 more hours..........

Posted by: Greg S. | October 10, 2008 6:56 AM | Report abuse

I am so excited about this season.

However, I am not excited about having to listen to that lame Def Leopard song all season. I sure hope it is only used for VS games!

What, they could not find any other band??? The song was lame enough, but when the singer put the Cup down upside down, I was just done.

Posted by: Kim | October 10, 2008 7:03 AM | Report abuse

11 hours, 51 minutes...........

Posted by: mauree | October 10, 2008 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Boo!:

I've got my clappers ready!! I might not get to more than a few games this season but I can drive the neighbors crazy night after night. Thanks again!

Posted by: uncatim | October 10, 2008 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning everyone!!! CAPS TONIGHT!!!

Mauree, welcome back.

Anyone notice last night that Def Leppard frontman Joe Elliot, after handed the Stanley Cup, set it on a stand, UPSIDE DOWN!? Isn't that sacrilegious?

RE: Tomorrow Night vs. Thrashers
I went to Thirsty Bernies and spoke with the wonderful bartender over there, Lisa, and she said that she can get us all set up over there with several TV's including sound. It's a new place with a pretty good beer selection as well as pitchers. Food there is excellent, and they usually have bar food specials.

It is located at the corner of Lee Highway and N. Glebe Rd. in N. Arlington.

2163 N Glebe Rd
Arlington, VA 22207
(703) 248-9300

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Super | October 10, 2008 7:32 AM | Report abuse

I guess Kim noticed :)

Posted by: Super | October 10, 2008 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone see that crazy backwards between the feet of two players goal by the Wings last night?!? That was pretty cool! I still can't believe that they lost to the Leafs but, hey, good for the Leafs! I must say, given that loss and their performance during pre-season, I am wondering if the Wings have lost a bit of their mojo ...

Kim/Super:
Guess they are not hockey fans! ;-) Frankly, I was a little embarrassed for them - the smidge of the concert that I watched was just sad ... I couldn't stand to keep watching (oh the humanity!).

uncatim:
Happy to help. Like I said before, please just don't tell your seat neighbors where you got them!!! ;-) CLAP ON!

It's almost here ... LET'S GO CAPS!!!!

Posted by: Boo! | October 10, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Detroit has gotten cocky? Given their preseason performance and losing to the Maple Leafs (the Maple Leafs?!!?!?!) last night, signs are starting to point in that direction. I didn't watch the game, so I can't speculate on anything else, but ....

Also, morning laugh. Best. Insult. Ever.

Technician, call center in Montréal: "What has the USA got that Canada hasn't got?"
Baltimore manager, grew up in Milwaukee: "Lord Stanley's Cup, sir."

Posted by: this space for rent | October 10, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

How many goals do you think the Capitals and Bears will combine for tonight? 20? 1000? It's going to be an awesome night.

Posted by: Jordan | October 10, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Hey all,

I'm looking for a good place in the Rockville/Bethesda area to watch the game, eat, and have some drinks tonight. Any suggestions?

Posted by: Leigh | October 10, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

@Boo! - I saw that goal, and my eyes nearly bugged outta my head, LOL! It was, like, everybody's looking around, "where's the puck?! Oh, THERE it is!" as it bounces off the back of the net...

@TSFR - Bwahahahaa!

Re: Def Leppard - I ignored it completely. Never been a fan of those guys...

9 hours, 2 minutes...

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: i rock the red | October 10, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I dunno about places around here -- I know that D&B usually broadcasts the Caps games, but they probably won't give any special treatment to the Caps...unless Elliot (in the Morning) is there, too (he may be, he holds viewing parties with DC101 sometimes).

As for me, I'm going to get home, make some homemade Buffalo Wings and fries, and settle back...

Can't wait.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 10, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Go leafs...sweet game... I think the East is gonna be tough this year and I expect a very close race to the finish. I think the Caps and the Habs are the only stand outs but after that one big batch of playoff contenders and a bunch of teams starting the 09-08 preseason early.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | October 10, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and a Blue Moon.

Drink of choice, everyone?

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 10, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I will drink everything just about.

Especially vodka.

Posted by: Jordan | October 10, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Bud Light... sorry, that is all I need.

Posted by: Super | October 10, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Super

Don't you mean tonight against the Trashers? By the way Thirsty Bernie's has the best brats on the east coast! I imagine there will be a bunch of folks at Bugsy's and he has 8 new plasma TVs (about f'ing time, Bugsy) so at least I dont feel like why am I here.

Posted by: Bob | October 10, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

@ Bob,

Yah, sorry about that, I meant tonight... I gotta stop working so much.

I may have to re-evaluate Bugsys if that is the case.

Posted by: Super | October 10, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Drink of choice...any wheat beer/Beam, Black label.

Posted by: fullright | October 10, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

nice story today. man, Sombrero Guy really is a local celeb, huh! :)

Posted by: fullright | October 10, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

We are spread out all over the DC/MD/VA for tonight, but what is the plan for Opening night at VC? Can we agree on one place to meet before the game? And are the Caps doing the normal street fair on F Street?

Posted by: Rich C | October 10, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

@Rich C,

I think so. Also there's the usual pre game presentation. (Was it last year where they all had flashlights with little globes on them? Poor guys....) Plus, banner raising. I'll be in my seat early.

Posted by: old time hockey | October 10, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

@Mauree
im stuck down at college and dont get csn or versus, and i asked a little while ago if anybody knew how to get the games online and somebody said that you might?

Posted by: Seahawk | October 10, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Drink of choice? For tonight, it'll be Dogfish Head's Palo Santo Marron. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........!

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 10, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Tarik - nice article in today's Post. It's great about all the new fans and planholders. I'd like to see a story about longtime season ticket holders who were loyal when the team wasn't winning -- and their perspective on the team's newfound celebrity and popularity.

Posted by: Jill | October 10, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

If you're going to drink lite beer, at least have one that grabs your tongue and tells you you're drinking a beer with flavor! Sam Adams light will do that. Bud Lite is like drinking slightly flavored water.

I'm with Jordan here. Vodka tonics with lime. Svedka vodka is preferred. Ever try that, Jordan?

8:48 to go...

Posted by: Greg S. | October 10, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I would vote for Palin and McCain if she could get all Caps games in HD.

For the love of God I cant watch tonights game in LOW-DEF! Im tired of getting hood-winked by the democratic left for the last 8 years! Help me hockey mom!

Posted by: Undecided Voter | October 10, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Palin, I wish there was some way I could see her get viciously booed at tomorrow night's Flyers game. That alone would be wort the price of admission. I hope it shows up on YouTube.

Posted by: Jill | October 10, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Ugh! Let's not drag politics into our game!

Posted by: Greg S. | October 10, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

And I'll be watching the game at home, beer in hand on lo-def TV with my mother-in-law. But I'll be watching Caps hockey. And I'm tired of being yanked by the Republican facists for the past 8 years.

8:32 to go...

Posted by: Greg S. | October 10, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

@ Greg S.

Uhhh YES! Svedka is my brand of choice! The vodka tonic is among my favorite drinks! Can't stand Bud Light! We have very similar taste in booze; this pleases me!

@ Jill

Can you send me an email? I lost your address somehow :/

Posted by: Jordan | October 10, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

If you do a LinkedIn search in the Capitals Group for "Gregory" you'll find me.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 10, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Jill, please don't drag politics into hockey.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 10, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

@Jill - I'm with Greg and TSFR. Please, please, leave the politics out of it!!!

Posted by: i rock the red | October 10, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

@Seahawk

Yeah, I'll post a link tonight before the game (remind me if I forget).
Meanwhile I suggest you download these two programs (you'll need them to watch):

sopcast
vlc media player

(you can google them up)

Posted by: mauree | October 10, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Drinking Partner,

Tonight it's Brooklyn Brewing Co's chocolate stout. It's seasonal, just came out again a week and a half ago. Very good beer, 10% so it'll sneak up on you.

Posted by: Steve R | October 10, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Politics are fun:

You know the only 2 Senators that have not been granted Top Secret Clearance according to the CIA, mind you thats not even close to the highest level of clearance:

Bernie Sanders and Barack Obama.

Boy am I thrilled that nutjob could be president

Posted by: Joe Six Pack | October 10, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

chief is mccain

Posted by: Joe Twelve Pack | October 10, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Steve, the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout is out already? Niiiiiice. Is it as good as last year's? I will probably pick some up even if you say no. ;)

BTW, my Palo Santo Marron is 12%. Not as "bad" as the 120 Minute IPA (also by DFH) which is about 20%. Yowzers.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 10, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I personally don't care whether he has security clearance or not. What concerns me is two things.

First, how the hell did W get one.

Secondly, what's the score going to be tonight?

Posted by: Greg S. | October 10, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm amused that I was accused of dragging politics into hockey. I guess no one read the comment above mine. In any event, I'd say the Flyers owner took care of that -- not me.

Thanks for playing.

Posted by: Jill | October 10, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I hate Flyers, but I like Paulin.

Should I vote for Obama now?

Discuss.

Posted by: Dave King | October 10, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Greg A,

Yes, just as good as last years. I'm going to have to throw a case in my basement to let it age for a couple of months. Should be kick a@@ by Christmas.

Greg S,

He got his decoder ring same place as me: box of Crackerjacks.

Posted by: Steve R | October 10, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

You think I am kidding, but I am not. I am undecided voter.

Posted by: Dave King | October 10, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I'm going with a score of 5-2 us.

Posted by: Steve R | October 10, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Steve R. I wonder if we can chase Lehtonen out of the net with an early flurry. That would be sweet.

Posted by: Jordan | October 10, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Jordan - Sorry, I don't have your e-mail address.

Posted by: Jill | October 10, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

K'mon give me a break on my beer choice, sure I enjoy lots of the others, but I'm a regular guy, just drinking a regular beer, at least its not Miller Light.

And enough with the politics...

Posted by: Super | October 10, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

@Jill - there is a difference between stating a fact (Palin dropping the puck at the Flyers game) and stating a political opinion ("Speaking of Palin, I wish there was some way I could see her get viciously booed at tomorrow night's Flyers game"). One is mentioning a current event, one is bringing politics unnecessarily into hockey talk. Just my take.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 10, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Super,

Life is too short for bad beer.

Posted by: Steve R | October 10, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I agree with you, Jill, but it would be meaningless. flyers would boo Mother Theresa.

Posted by: uncatim | October 10, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm, I'm wondering what kind of beer the candidates like?

Posted by: Steve R | October 10, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I hope the McCain campaign really scripted out how to drop a puck, or the hockeymom might have some difficulties...

Posted by: Leigh | October 10, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@Steve

haha the answer for one of them is obvious

Posted by: mauree | October 10, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

@ Dave King

It is my personal advice for you to read extremely pro-democratically-inclined links at reddit.com, which provides a veritable gold-mine of anti-GOP stuff.

As for pro-GOP stuff, Drudge Report is one of the main ones I can think of. Google searches for "anti-Obama" or "McCain/Palin '08," though, should net you a good bit of pro-GOP stuff.

The game tonight will be 30-1, after Jose lets in a soft one on the second shot of the game, just to let us all start sweating about the rest of the season. it will also be the first and only time the Thrashers will lead in a game against us this season.

And I'm voting pro-Economy -- take that how you will :-).

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 10, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

(didn't mean anything bad ok? was just referring at the partner's family business)

Politics divides us.... CAPS UNITE US!

Posted by: mauree | October 10, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Jill: I'm with Sombrero Guy. Having Palin drop the puck is a publicity stunt, not a political statement. Wanting her booed is a political statement.

Also, the "thank you for playing" comes off snotty and proves my point.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 10, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@ Steve R:

If you like the harder stuff, I highly recommend Firefly Vodka. It's sweet tea flavored, and there's very little bite. A bit of water and a lemon wedge (or juice on the fly) will do the trick. Consequently, you might drink too much of it and not realize it before it's too late.

That's how I got married to a second wife, while still being married to the first one. Wait...

Posted by: Section 117 | October 10, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Hey folks, TSN Hockey has a poll that Cindy Crysby is winning, please go vote for OV!

Posted by: Bob | October 10, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

My favorite straight vodka to this day is still Skyy. After having it in college and getting buzzed after two non-burning shots, I was hooked.

Same goes for 1800 Reposado Tequila (Patron is delicious but wayyy expensive), and Captain Morgan's Tattoo (it's a little sweet and tastes like Coke, but it's strong enough and is awesome with ginger ale and a splash of seltzer).

Actually, speaking of burning shots, I'll never forget the night we had...oh, crap... that 95% stuff (190 proof).. it's on the tip of my tongue, but we lit it on fire, burned it blue, and drank it sweet.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 10, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

A DECODER RING??? Oh, DAMN! Had I known I would have been able to get consulting gigs quicker, could have gotten a Fed or Beltway Bandit job. Aw, shucks!

Was it Cracker Jacks? With or without peanuts?

Posted by: Greg S. | October 10, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

7hours, 39 minutes to to go....

Tarik, I guess the healthy scratches (Fehr and Gordon) don't make the WaPo roster? Tough crowd, you news guys. ;)

As for the politics, isn't Palin dropping in Philly? We know how classy those guys are. They would boo their own mothers, and possibly throw beer at her too. Not a political statement, a Flyers one.

Posted by: old time hockey | October 10, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

DrinkingPartner,
Everclear?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 10, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Ugh....6:52 before game time! Come on clock! I thought this was atomic powered!

Posted by: Greg S. | October 10, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Greg.

I think you need to check the start time :-/ Hate to add to the pain, but it's 730 drop, not 7pm. Stupid Atl/TB start times.

Posted by: FFS Enough | October 10, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

What? I didn't even know she got divorced!!!!!!!

Hey, Cujo, you old dog, whose bed have your boots been under?

Maple Leafs backup goalie Curtis Joseph hasn't confirmed or denied that he and singer Shania Twain are an item.

If it's true, it raises a curious question: Given that her ex-husband is named Mutt, does Shania date only hounds? If so, that don't impress me much.

Posted by: Dave King | October 10, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

D'oh! *moaning* Margie make it not so...

Posted by: Greg S. | October 10, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Ouch!

"Nobody cares about Jarome Iginla and guys like that. They're just not exciting enough. They don't bring enough to the game."

- Sean Avery, Dallas Stars.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 10, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

@Old Time

well philly fans were the ones who pelted Santa Claus with ice balls so anything is possible.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 10, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

@ Drinkingpartner: If you can find Dogfish Head's "Blue Hen" Vodka, give it a shot. My buddy is a big vodka fan and he says that it's every bit as good as Grey Goose and a fair bit cheaper. I know it's available in MD and DE, not sure about DC/VA or anywhere else. Fairly limited distribution.

(Have you noticed I really enjoy DFH products? :) ...and no, I have no stake in DFH other than as a faithful patron)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 10, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

@sombero......Santa did not have secret service protectionm, metal detectors or the threat of 3-5 for just looking at her funny.

Posted by: Rich | October 10, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

New thread. Not gonna bother reposting my previous comment over there, so hopefully you read it. :P

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | October 10, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse