Ovechkin, Caps take care of Pens -- again

(Justin K. Aller/Getty Images)

Here's a short roundup of Caps-related reading material to get the day started:

Morning roundup

*Alex Ovechkin scores twice -- the second into an empty net -- as Washington earns a season sweep over its bitter rival for the first time in team history. | Full story »

*Mike Wise: A win is a win, but Ovie and the Caps still need the one that counts.

*Pens lose ground in the Eastern Conference standings. (Post-Gazette)

*"Say the Penguins can flip a switch when the Stanley Cup playoffs open next week. What if they've already blown their fuse?" (Tribune-Review)

*Pens lose ground in the Eastern Conference standings. (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)

*A deflating win for the Penguins equals a good night for Caps fans. (NHL.com)

*Blogger reactions: Hockey Mom, The Hockey Chronicles, CapsBlog, Storming the Crease, Alex Ovetjkin, FFODC, RMNB, Ed Frankovic.

*Ovie vs. Crosby: Facebook battle? (On Frozen Blog)

*How the PK is killing the Caps' numbers. (Japers' Rink)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 7, 2010; 5:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin catches Crosby
Next: Alzner and Beagle assigned to Hershey

Comments

Posted by: croftonpost | April 7, 2010 6:03 AM | Report abuse

What a great game by Jeff Schultz. He really seemed to handle everything adeptly, including Crosby and Stahl. And +5? wow.

Sloan looked pretty good too, don't you think?

And it seems like I'm alone, but if Corvo plays in the playoffs like he did last night we'll be fine. For a "puck moving defenseman" he's pretty gawdawful getting it out of the zone under pressure, but otherwise he was very effective and disruptive on D. I thought he had one of his best games as a Cap.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 7, 2010 6:33 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin gets owned all night long by Sid so he has to act like a selfish d--che and get a cheap EN goal!

What a loser

Posted by: SC87

Didn't SC claim he was a Senators fan?? btw, an EN goal still counts as a goal. If you were more worried about Ovie scoring then winning then you shouldn't of pulled Johnson, it wasn't like you guys were going to score anyway. Why are you all over Crosby if you're Sens fan? Typical loser Pens fan.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 7, 2010 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Looks like a Sens-Pens matchup in the first round. Should find out pretty quickly which team SC87 is a fan of.

Posted by: _Mark | April 7, 2010 6:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhilR | April 7, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

i don't think wise was watching hockey last year.. ..cindy wasn't even the best player on his own team last year .. .malkin was, which is why malkin was the MVP in the playoffs. ..and don't forget that in game 7 of the SC finals against detroit, cindy was on the bench the entire period crying over a shoulder injury and wasn't even in the game ...it was talbot that scored the winning goal that won them the cup.... so don't make such a big deal about cindy 'winning the stanley cup'... . last year it was much more about malkin and others... .and yes, if OV is going to hoist the cup, its going to take a team effort here in DC as well ... .

Posted by: madmax521 | April 7, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

I know it's been said a million times, but it's so aggravating that I to say it again--only one penalty against the Pens? Really? I have no problem with the Caps getting 4, but the Pens 1 is ridiculous. How about on VS when they showed Crosby "battling Ovechkin" by cross-checking him in the back repeatedly. Just call the game fairly, for god's sake.

Posted by: HeatherinMD | April 7, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

(reposted from last thread)

What a great game. Wins against arch rivals are always great. The Caps won without their full playoff lineup and just rollng just 5 d-guys once Erskine was hurt. That game does show the Caps depth and ability to turn it on for a big game. I say bring it on come playoffs. The only way to settle questions is to win the Cup.

Ack! That's what I have to say about Wise. The Caps are in a special moment having won the Presidents' Trophy for the first time in Caps history and after having won a game that I wasn't sure they would have given the urgency of those points to the Pens, and Wise chooses to publish THAT!

I get the feeling he had it written and ready for this game no matter what happened. I made the mistake of reading it last night because Tarik's piece wasn't up yet--guess I won't be reading Mike Wise again. And during the playoffs if those two Wise and Wilbon decide to create another lame video piece allegedly about the Caps I won' be wasting my time listening. Geez TSN and THN gives Ovi and the Caps more respect than either Wilbon or Wise.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | April 7, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

>>If you haven't read Wise's column as of yet......DON'T, it will only piss you off! What an absolute useless tool that guy is, why is that piece of journalistic garbage even included in the morning reading list?!?!

Ditto. Why read someone who makes us angry? :)

Our Caps are 53-15-12, including 24-10-7 on the road and 29-5-5 at home (!). That's amazing stuff. Why isn't a Post columnist writing about how historic that is, instead of restating obvious points like "Sid has a Stanley Cup and Ovie Doesn't. Nyah!". Duh. :p

Posted by: blackjack65 | April 7, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Fridays game is useless, but Sunday could be a "choose who you play" type of game.

I think we could be faced with beating Boston, and thats who we get scenario.

I like the matchup vs Boston. I think it gives us a chance to hone in on a defensive type flow, while easily having the horses to outscore them.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 7, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

On the penalty differential between the Caps and the Pens?

Check this out. The odds of one team taking as many or fewer penalties as their opponent in 15 straight games? 0.01437%!

Something is rotten in the State of Denmark.

Posted by: irockthered | April 7, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Do not overlook the Sens they are playing great hockey and have been for a while now. It was overlooked when the Caps were on the long winning streak the Sens were right behind them winning 13 or so. I would not want to play them early. They will beat the Pens in the first round if they play them.

Posted by: RichC3 | April 7, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Interesting stats on Japers about the defense.

Maybe our D are not as bad as some want to make us believe.

Posted by: jdhoover | April 7, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I agree RichC3, as a matter of fact I just got off the phone with my best friend about an hour ago, who just so happens to be a huge Pens fan, and he is worried about the same exact thing!

Posted by: PhilR | April 7, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

jdhoover, Once again that is what my firend was saying on the phone this morning. He said the defense for the Caps really showed him something last night and he feels we have the talent to make a VERY long run this year, this from a PENS fan!!

And yes, it was great giving him grief this morning!!

Posted by: PhilR | April 7, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I the Wayne Gretzky is the all-time career leader in EN goals. No one seems to have any issue about that, do that?

Posted by: saintex | April 7, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Umm, was it just me or was that a blindside elbow to Semin that took him out on Flash's goal?

Posted by: rh71 | April 7, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Meh. The fact that the Pens haven't beat the Devils or Caps all season just makes it all the sweeter if they knock either one out of the playoffs.

Posted by: duffymoon | April 7, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if it qualifies as blind side, but it certainly was a high elbow. When Colin takes a look at it, he'll probably fine Semin for initiating the contact and then embellishing.

Posted by: _Mark | April 7, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I think it's doubtful the Pens have the tools to win a series. Yes, it's a new season, but as the Pgh article doubtfully observed, maybe they can (or can't) turn on the switch.

If they don't, it's likely we'll see the Sens in the second round. In any event, I give the Pens the best chance among the top four of dropping the first series. They look pretty bad.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 7, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I finally got to watch a game. This was at the Red Lobster, no sound. Food - average; game - great.

I understand Green was resting Monday night but did not see him last night either. With no sound, I didn't get an explanation. Someone, anyone, please fill me in.

Geez, have to chack stats, but Schultz might be league +/- leader by now. Don't they give an award, "Rolaids Plus Minus" leader or something?

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 7, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back, TominNorthAmerica. I hope the relocation is going well.

Posted by: zmega | April 7, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Schultz is #1 in +/- at a +44

Posted by: jdove80 | April 7, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

The Pens are easily the worst out of the top 4 seeds in the East. If not for preferential treatment, they'd probably be the 6th seed or so.

And there is a major difference between Ovechkin and Crosby. Ovechkin is the most important player on his team, Crosby isn't. Malkin is more important than Crosby. Just look at the numbers of the Pens and Crosby when Malkin is out - the entire team goes downhill.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 7, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

"I think it's doubtful the Pens have the tools to win a series." Sonyask

The biggest tools that the Pens have are the idiotic troll fans that come to post on this blog!

At what point does the hype about Ovi and Crosby get old for these sports writers? Do Wise or Wilbon ever read comments about their articles? You'd think they would try to educate themselves.

@tominfl1: are you in AZ now? I saw something about a minor ailment this morning for Green, but both games he sat out it was announced on TV that he was just "resting". He's been playing so well, it would be a shame if he really is injured.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | April 7, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Green has some minor ouchies so he is resting. If these were needed games, he would be playing.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 7, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Tominfl1, from what I understand, Green has a minor, nagging injury, so Boudreau is giving him a couple games off to get healthy. Can't blame him, with what happened last year when Green was banged up going into the playoffs. I did hear that Green will be playing on Friday though.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 7, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

"The other, Sid the Kid, has won everything that matters, including a Cup for the true-grit people of Pittsburgh who expect such things"

This is where Mike Wise passed the point of no return for me. Giving your opinion on two professional athletes is one thing, attacking the fan base of your home market (by implying that we don't expect anything out of our team here in Washington) is entirely another.

Do us all a favor Mike and move to Pittsburgh with your "true-grit fans". You will not be missed.

Posted by: rademaar | April 7, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Think of the Pens fan that sunk a bunch of cash into going to both games vs the Caps this year at Melon....what a way to piss your fun money away...good god I would be irate!

Posted by: SA-Town | April 7, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Nice statement game especially with half our team in the press box! Game doesn't mean much- Malkin dictates how good the Pens can be.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 7, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

RE:Has anybody read Wise's column yet? I don't get the media's obsession with this subject. Are they not aware how young Ovechkin and Crosby are? They act as if we have watched the same thing over and over again with these guys. However, neither player is even 25 years old yet. They both have 10-15 years left in their career. Wise compared it to Russell and Chamberlin but that example took years to forge (I might add that Chamberlin did win a championship). Ovechkin has been to the postseason all of TWO TIMES! This has gotten to the point of being completely preposterous and I believe this is really about the Penguins vs the Capitals of the 90's when neither player was around. I don't believe this is truly about Ovechkin vs Crosby at all. The media is just too shortsighted to separate the two.

It sells newspapers and that is the business they are in- I agree though- very stale and decades to go before we start judging them.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 7, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redskins2Win | April 7, 2010 8:04 AM: Wise is such a goof...I cant and wont read him. I have no desire to sit and read one mans opinion of a team especially when he has no knowledge of the team. (Wise knows less than my wife).

The problem with Wise is that he has been forthcoming about his distain for the sport of hockey. As such it certainly appears that he has no desire to make the effort to educate himself more on the game. I am a firm believer that he is instructed by his editor to write about the Caps and so he does the minimum to meet that requirement.

Posted by: TheOtherGuyInSection117 | April 7, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I knew some moron would complain about the empty net goal. Get over it.

There is always an extra level of satisfaction when beating the Penguins, but - as was mentioned by someone else - this satisfaction is erased if the Caps don't perform in the Playoffs.

Posted by: BT23 | April 7, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Final Score was 6-3- that empty net goal counts the same as the rest of them. Suck it.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 7, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

It's good to see Ovie get back into the game like he knows he can. I think all the media drama and perhaps the politics from being considered the best player in the world is messing with his head. Aside from womanizing, or at least what he exudes as his perspective on women, he does seem like a caring person who wants things to be in balance in a good way. So, I'm glad he's back in the game and feeling good about himself.

Posted by: anon94 | April 7, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for updates on Green. I am in Palmdale, CA (high desert). I return to Orlando late next week and soon then we close on old house and then the family (wife and two adult daughters) come back with me for extended family bonding in Residence Inn until new house is completed (mid-to-late June). Everything will be fine if the cats don't get lost by the airline.

Jeff Schultz! Anyone wanna bet on next year's salary? I'm putting over/under at $2.5M. I'm thinking they lock him in like 3 yrs/$7.5M. He could easily get that as a RFA with comp only a #2 pick. He's no Nick Lidstrom but he's a good player.

Posted by: tominfl1 | April 7, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I personally really enjoyed that empty netter...almost more than his 47th! There's always something extra satisfying about Ovie rubbing salt in the Penguins wound...especially at their arena!

Posted by: capscoach | April 7, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

The worst thing about Wise's column is that it perpetuates the myth that Ovechkin-Crosby is like Byrd-Magic or Lemieux-Gretzky, when the facts show that is simply not the case. For those with short memories or new to the game of hockey, Lemieux and Gretzky were SO head and shoulders above the rest of the crowd that it wasn't even close. A quick check to the NHL league leaders stats shows Ovechkin and Crosby surrounded by names such as Stamkos and Sedin. Wise and the rest of the media need to move on and just enjoy the great players without turning them into the mythical figures they are not.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | April 7, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

The problem with not playing the Pens in the playoffs (assuming that we don't although I think they are easily the second best team next to the Caps) is that then all we will hear about is well OV does have a cup now but he didn't go through SC87 to get there.

Posted by: Searchingforstanley | April 7, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Anyone think there is any chance Talbot gets disciplined for the elbow to the head on Semin? He was definitely coming in at Semin with his elbow up.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 7, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

@Searchingforstanley

If the Pens aren't good enough to find us in the playoffs, that won't be our problem.

As it stands, we're likely to see them in the second round, although if Buffalo loses to Montreal/Philly, the Pens would have to see NJ, which is probably the end to Pittsburgh's season.

Posted by: EricinReston | April 7, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

@EricinReston:

I agree that it is there problem and that in my mind/eyes it takes nothing away from us winning the cup. However that is all we will hear from the media. We'll they got one but they didn't beat the Pens to do it.

Posted by: Searchingforstanley | April 7, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Well, yes Caps won again. But look the statistics 4 power plays for Pittsburg and only one for Washington. Somebody have to stop it. Remember for the season Caps dominated and won all 4 games against, Pittsburg. But Pittsburg got 19 Power plays against Washington’s 8.
I believe if Washington and Pittsburg will meet in the play off we will have the same story. It will be difficult for Caps to win if power play ratio wills 1 to:2,5. This how Pittsburg won last year series, just because of huge power play advantage.
I believe the Caps don’t have right calls (or mostly no calls against Pens).
If we aren't going to rise the question why Pens have that huge power play advantage against the best scoring team in the league. The same story again will be repeats in the play off.
I encourage all Caps fan to write about it. It should be equal conditions for all teams.
NHL should allow players not to refs decide, who is the best team.

Posted by: michaelnonna | April 7, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | April 7, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

An obvious observation from last night - Pens clear lack of depth up front in creativity department. When both of their big two are in the lineup, with at least one of them is on the ice almost all the time, their very good set of complimentary forwards can do what they do best - battle in the corners, go to the net, cycle, etc. With either Malkin or Crosby out - they are woefully short of skill at forward. Staal is a very good all-around center, and maybe a Selke winner one day, but a clever passer or a deadly finisher he is not. The rest - Dupuis, Kennedy, Poni, even Fedotenko... Those guys all need someone else to create offense in order to be effective. Two years ago they they had Hossa, last year they at least had Sykora and Satan.

Last night, they were able to pin us in the zone a few times for a while, but were mostly bark and not much bite, especially without Crosby on the ice.

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 7, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

BTW, am I the only one thinking that pig-nosed Toews mural in Chicago actually looks more like Tyler Kennedy than Toews?

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 7, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 7, 2010 12:11 PM |

HAHAHAHA.

Nope...not at all. There was a big thread on this in one of the forums I frequent...haha.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 7, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 7, 2010 12:03 PM |

@igor_k17:

Exactly.

Pens had Satan signed to a 1-year deal...

But everyone knows there's no such thing as a "1-year deal" where the Prince of Darkness is involved..."

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 7, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

tyler kennedy was actually the "pigman" that Kramer saw in Seinfeld

Posted by: _stevo | April 7, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Also, I never got on this "bash-Wise" bandwagon, but I just read his article.

I don't know..to me it's very obvious that he's writing this stuff now to stick to some shtick he has. He wants to piss you guys off, and it works.

Like every other attention-seeker in life, just ignore him and he'll go away.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 7, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I knew some moron would complain about the empty net goal. Get over it.
Posted by: BT23 | April 7, 2010 11:07 AM |

It's as though the goals never happen & the final outcome never happen either. LOL!!

Posted by: Searchingforstanley | April 7, 2010 11:42 AM |

The rebuttal from me would be, we did go through them - over them in fact. That's why they play 80+ games to determine who sits where in the postseason. Lets not make easy excuses about why the reg season don't matter. That's why they play the game - da?

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 7, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

tyler kennedy was actually the "pigman" that Kramer saw in Seinfeld
Posted by: _stevo | April 7, 2010 12:16 PM |

I'm not one to judge ppl's appearance but in the spirit of moment: kennedy, letang, cindy, malkin, etc. are furthest from Clooney & Pitt as can be...must be that western Pennsylvania thing...

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 7, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered, awesome for pointing out that article. I've posted about the disparities at junior-grade levels compared to that article (I've only looked at season statistics), but is hard to refute the absurd (and relevant) statistical anomaly that are the Caps/Pens PP disparity.

Let's hope Ted or GMGM can rattle some media attention around those numbers as some early, NBA style lobbying for the playoff officiating.

Posted by: TheGJ | April 7, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

haha...

Posted by: richmondphil | April 7, 2010 12:02 PM

Ohhhhhhh Millerrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Love it.

Posted by: Fro_ | April 7, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin, Caps take care of Pens -- again

Yeah, Tarik. It's just so annoying, isn't it, swatting away the Pens like a gnat?

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | April 7, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Great article. Show's how and where all three players get their goals in from. Those charts are awesome.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 7, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh..but it seems they posted the wrong article about Crosby in his section.

Great f' up there NHL.com.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 7, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Ohhhhhhh Millerrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Love it.

Posted by: Fro_ | April 7, 2010 12:41 PM |

Whatttttttt Aaaaaaaaaaa Saaaaaaaave on Gaborik!

The best thing about that save was his little swagger dance when he looked up at Tallinder.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 7, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I saw this posted on another message board:

--------------

Since the beginning of last year:

Reg Season 08-09

@Pitt: Pitt 4 PP, Wash 1 [Wash 6 Pitt 3]

Powerplays
Pitt: 77
Wash: 44

Pitt has more PPs: 11 games
Wash has more PPs: 0 games

I hope we finally start catching some breaks if face them in the playoffs. The lopsided officiating is esp. damaging to a team like the Caps, who are so great on the PP, strong at even strength, but crummy on the PK...

Posted by: Hatfield223 | April 7, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Cut Mike Wise some slack - I think he just really wants to be in that GEICO commercial... you know, the one with caveman that goes "so easy, Melrose can do it!" I mean, there has to be some good reason to spend four paragraphs of your precious column space quoting The Mullet!

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 7, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Great game for Varly's confidence and nice to go 4-0 versus the Pens, but don't think this will mean much in the playoffs. The Pens will have Malkin back who is there most important player. The Caps spent more time trying to stop Malkin in the playoffs last spring then Crosby. If Malkin is healthy, the Pens probably beat Ottawa and advance to the second round.

I like the Caps playing Boston rather than Philly. We'll beat either of them, but are more likely to suffer a lot of bumps and bruises against Philly who is much more physical team. The key is finishing off our 1st round opponent in 4 or 5 games so we are well rest for round 2.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 7, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

That nhl.com article shows on of the major differences between Ovie and Crosby. Crosby only has 7 goals from further back than the faceoff dots, while over half of Ovie's are. Like I've told Pens fans, if Crosby is more than 15 feet from the net, he has trouble scoring. And if the refs ever start calling him for the constant cross-checking that he uses to get position, his goal total will plummet, probably to below 20 a season.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 7, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts from Tuesday:

--THIS is what 60 minutes of Caps hockey against a playoff team looks like!

--BROOMZ!!!: Caps sweep the season series despite all the Crosby-love from the Refs. 4 Power Plays to 1 and still we win!!!ROFLMAO

--OV 4 seconds into our first PP was sweet!

--OV on the empty-netter with 0:02 left was even sweeter...Way to drive the stake in their hearts. By the time OV retires Pens fans will wish they had their Igloo back! LULZ...MUWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

--#10 for #10...Kewl!

--"Flash.....Ah-aaaahhh! saviour of the universe!" Way to answer back!

--Eddie Olczyk is a DB just like his man-
crush Sid-The-Id: Incapable of calling the game the way it is, incapable of giving credit where it is due. What a contrast with Joe B, who was unbiased and professional throughout.

--Great improvementson D; WTG Sarge!

--Like I always say: Ovie's Law..."To Solve Any Hockey Problem, Score More Goals".

--Sasha Strikes Again!

--Why no PIM or suspension from the Talbot elbow on #28?

--Varly > MAF

WE WILL NOT BE DENIED!

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 7, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 7, 2010 12:59 PM |

That would be dumb. Crosby isn't the only one who pays a price to get the dirty goals.

Yeah, he shouldn't be cross-checking Z-berg when a game's over, but Crosby plays his game very well.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 7, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Sens-Crosby fan, I'll be cheering for Ottawa in the playoffs. Don't care if the Pens win the Cup again. I just like being a do**che on this board!

Posted by: SC87 | April 7, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 7, 2010 12:59 PM |

I mentioned this last night when he was in the corner with OV & another pinz. I thought the stick work was not allowed anymore but then it's cindy.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 7, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

timmyv, you ever hear of #99 Wayne Gretzky? He made a living by working behind the net and coming out to score goals. It doesn't matter where you score the goals from...

Posted by: SC87 | April 7, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Did you really imply that Crosby and Gretzky score the same way?

Posted by: richmondphil | April 7, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

SC87, maybe you missed the point of my post - not your fault, you Crosbyites are slow like that. Crosby's goals are all close in, and he uses cheap, dirty play to get most of them. If he didn't have the favoritism of the NHl and the refs, he'd still be around 30 goals for the season, like he's done each season until now.

richmondphil, I won't deny that Crosby is good, but it's ridiculous what the NHL has let him get away with, between all the non-calls on dives in his first few seasons and crosschecks/trips/holds/slashes in the last couple seasons.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 7, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Powerplays
Pitt: 77
Wash: 44
Pitt has more PPs: 11 games
Wash has more PPs: 0 games
--------------------------------
I am not a big fan of conspiracy theories, so playing Devil's advocate (and we all know who the Devil is, right?;-))), one could hypothesize that the two teams simply play two different styles, and Pen's way of playing naturally generates more PP chances...
That "reasoning" holds only as long as it takes to find out that going into last night game, the two teams had IDENTICAL number of PP chances over the previous 79 (78 for the "Devil") games of their regular season.
Six sigma process? I think NHLOA may need a new black belt! ;-)

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 7, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Rocco,

You really think that if the Caps should win the cup but not play the Pens in the playoffs that OV and the boys will get the credit they deserve? All we will hear is how yeah OV got a cup but he didn't have to get through Crosby. Yes you could say that we went "over" them but you think anyone in hockey will see it that way?

Posted by: Searchingforstanley | April 7, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 7, 2010 1:19 PM

You could hypothesize that way, but video of the games shows the Pens getting called for (at most) 1/4 of the penalties they commit. And not just against the Caps - it is consistent in every game they play in.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 7, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

...its not alpha...anyone, ANYONE?...bueller?

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 6, 2010 10:45 PM

@wtf_e_fehr: Good FBDO reference...

...(turns to camera) If you had access to a player like the Red Jesus, would you even consider trading him? I didn't think so."

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 7, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

What a loser

Posted by: SC87

What about Ovy's first goal? Your crappy team got owned again. Sindy never has owned Ovy once the Caps became a better TEAM. Funny you mention d--che, your favorite team is loaded with them.

Posted by: Chase4 | April 7, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Rocco,
Posted by: Searchingforstanley | April 7, 2010 1:20 PM |

SFS -

So maybe it would go that on the flip side - cindy didn't have to face us & still couldn't up with up with the goods in this year's playoffs?

or

Maybe he didn't have his best team this year like we didn't have our's last year?

Anyhow - I only deal with reality & play with the cards that are dealt.
If the pundits out there want to come up with excuses or what-if's, then maybe they can come up with a transporter to aggregate every1's cells & close the time space continuum so that Babe Ruth can face Roger Clemens too.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 7, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 7, 2010 1:16 PM |

Yeah, but that's a different topic, I think. As much as I hate Crosby, he knows what it takes to get those dirty goals, and he does it very well. I just don't like to see people taking anything away from the players who's game is essentially to scoop up the dirt goals (Knubs!). A goal is a goal.

As far as Crosby getting away with more than others, that's probably true too. :)

Posted by: richmondphil | April 7, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel like it will cheapen what this team would have accomplished this year. I'm only suggesting that is all we will hear. It will be the caps won the cup*.

*Didn't beat the pens in the playoffs.

Again I don't agree with this thought, but I'd rather go through them and not have to hear it.

Posted by: Searchingforstanley | April 7, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know when the playoff schedule will be posted? Looking at the Verizon Ctr schedule, I think our first 2 games will be Thur and Sat (4/15 and 4/17). Just wondering if the Sat game will be a matinee or evening game.

Posted by: cbs75 | April 7, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

*Didn't beat the pens in the playoffs.
Posted by: Searchingforstanley | April 7, 2010 1:59 PM |

Me too. I want to beat my #1 arch nemesis & every1 @ full strength.
But with things as they are, I tune out the pundits like Wise & etc.

Else I could make an excuse that half our team was gimpy - injured - robbed - during last spring's Pinz 7 gamer. That cheapens their effort.

Lets fix the mistakes & not make excuses - enjoy the run.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 7, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 7, 2010 1:16 PM |

Posted by: richmondphil | April 7, 2010 1:56 PM

It's the same topic. He gets quite a few of his goals by committing penalties that the refs won't call. If you watch Knuble, he mainly just uses his size to get into position. Crosby will hold and crosscheck to get position, and the NHL lets him do it. If that wasn't the case, he wouldn't be anywhere near the top in goal scoring.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 7, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Something I should have added to my last post - Crosby is very good at using his body to get positioning, and if he used that to get more of his goals, my respect for him would go way up. My issue with him is how often he uses cheap tactics to get goals.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 7, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Here's a statement from the planholder update I just received about 40 minutes ago regarding the 1st round playoff schedule.

The schedule for the First Round of the playoffs will be posted to our website, www.washingtoncaps.com, either late in the evening on Sunday, April 11, or on Monday morning, April 12, as soon as the dates and times are finalized.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 7, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow....sure am glad we had the lead and the Pens had to pull the goalie. I would have hated to give Crosby the Empty netter at the end of the game.

Crosby is good, but is still a little prick......does any player get away with more cheap/dirty play?

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 7, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I apologize for not keeping up on the blog today, but did anyone else notice how Maxime Talbot hit Semin with an elbow prior to Flash's goal. No call and Olczyk says, "Talbot goes in to finish his check..." and earlier in the broadcast while talking about Ovechkin, says his hit on Campbell was "dangerous." I won't rehash the Campbell hit, but Olczyk needs to take off his Pens glasses. That elbow better see Colin Campbell's tv, but I won't hold my breath.

Posted by: robostop10 | April 7, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

There was a few comments about that hit, but it's unlikely there will be a suspension. There should be, because Talbot came in leading with his elbow.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 7, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Something is rotten in the State of Denmark.

Posted by: irockthered | April 7, 2010 8:52 AM

@irockthered: Indeed, milady, indeed. Kind of reminds me of several years back. I was in my early twenties; my sister was jsut finishing high school. I was in the bathroom shaving when she knocks on the door and says (whining just a little):

MY SISTER: "David??"
ME: "What!?"
MY SISTER: "I don't understand this at all, can you please help me?"
ME: (cutting myself)"@%*#$!!. OK what is it?"
MY SISTER: "What happens at the end of Hamlet?"

(at this point it is important to note that I had mostly slept through my own study of Hamlet)

ME: (without hesitation)"Everybody dies."
MY SISTER: "What?"
ME: "I said everybody dies. Now go away before I bleed on you..."
MY SISTER: "eeeeeeeeew!!!" (runs away).

I had not though about my response at all. But later on (after I got over my guilt for being a Mean Brother) I did think about it, and looked into it and found that my response was absolutely correct!

Think about it:

--Hamlet's dad has already been murdered by his uncle (who subsequently married his mom) before the play begins, which sets off the whole wretched cycle of revenge.
--His girlfriend's dad dies.
--His girlfriend dies.
--Her brother dies.
--His mom dies.
--His stepdad/uncle dies.
--His best friends die.
--He dies.

...In fact, by the time the final curtain has descended, anyone who's anyone in the play basically....well, dies.

Wierd..

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 7, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC87 | April 7, 2010 1:07 PM

You're a Crosby LOVER, period. How could you be a Sens fan and like him so much? What did he do for you? I think you DO care if the Pens win the Cup again. If I'm not mistaken you were here last year during our series against the Pens and you were a total Pens fan. I know you like being a dbag. You're a big one, at that. Get a life.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 7, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: robostop10 | April 7, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

i didn't watch the game but i did see that highlight. It didn't look like Talbot got him but the way Semin reacted maybe he grazed him a bit. You gotta know that a guy like Talbot will take every opp to run a guy like Semin. It doesn't surprise me. You can't really stop plays like that, you just have to take those hits and give them right back. I kinda like it when Semin takes some abuse because it wakes him up and makes him a better more determined player. I was pleasantly surprised to see him on a couple of the highlights working hard in the defensive zone. On one play he was battling a Pens forward in our own crease area, giving him some grief and not making it too easy to set up shop. When #28 starts battling in the trenches like that you know his head's in the game.

so bring on more elbows!

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 7, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow, yer a reg'lar Harold Bloom there, Rhino!

(we kid because we . . . well, because we share a love of the Caps, I suppose)

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | April 7, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

To igor_k17:
Your wrote
I am not a big fan of conspiracy theories

Well, 11 consecutive games Pens got huge power play advantage if this is not conspiracy what it is.

More statistics:
Pittsburgh power play opportunities about 3.89 per game for this season.
With Washington are 4.75 per game
Pittsburgh short handed about 3.89 per game.
With Washington are 2

Washington power play opportunities about 3.87 per game for this season.
With Pittsburgh are 2 per game
Washington short handed about 3.93 per game.
With Pittsburgh are 4.75 per game 2
Your wrote
Two teams simply play two different styles, and Pen's way of playing naturally generates more PP chances
I’m not trying to say that Caps are better (I hope they are). Only one thing I want is the same rules for all teams. Of cause if you have huge power play advantage it is much easier to win. If you put Caps short handed for half of the game, even minor league team can win.

Posted by: michaelnonna | April 7, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Admittedly, I'm biased ... but I wonder when folks will start making the more logical hockey comparison - it's not Alex vs. Sid ... it's Backstrom vs. Sid.

Both are centers. Both are playmakers. Both have shown the ability to score goals this season.

NHL Network was all over last night talking about how Crosby won the individual battle with Ovechkin. Maybe he did. Did he win it with Backstrom, though?

The real question isn't between Alex and Sid from a real hockey standpoint ... it's, if you could have

A) Sid and Malkin
B) Ovechkin and Backstrom
C) Sedin and Sedin
D) Kane and Toews

... what pair would you take and why?

I'm curious when Backstrom will finally get his due in those terms.

And I'm curious when we're finally going to pay him.

Posted by: writered21 | April 7, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Backstrom is going to get paid more starting next season, when his entry-level contract ends. It's the earliest he could get a big contract. He definitely deserves far more respect than he gets from the media, he is one of the best centers playing right now. There is no center/wing combo more effective than Backstrom/Ovie. This season, they have 79 goals and 123 assists between them, making them the only pair of teammates to have 200+ points.

To that list of pairs you named, I would put one other - St. Louis and Stamkos. They have been great this season, and are the third highest scoring duo (behind Ovie/Backstrom and the Sedins), with 179 points.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 7, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Wise's article made me laugh.
Now he compares Ovi and Sidney to Darth Vader and Skywalker(?) and to NBA players.
What's next - Vinnie the Pooh vs Cristopher Robin?
The cliche about Ovi and Sid not liking each other is also used way too much.
What should they do to show, they have just competition - kiss each other?
Oh no, Ovi will definitely be suspended for that. Hint to Sid - use it as a weapon (aka Kiss of death) - total opponents'demoralisation and PP guaranteed :-)))

Posted by: Michael01a | April 8, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse