Ovechkin continues to improve

Alex Ovechkin hasn't practiced with his teammates yet, but he reiterated moments ago that he's inching closer to returning to the Caps' lineup.

"I feel better today," said Ovechkin, who skated on his own this morning. "Right now I feel better every day. [I'm] probably day-to-day. I just need a couple more days, maybe one week."

Ovechkin also said that he would be playing right now if the Caps were in the playoffs.

"If it was the playoffs, I'm playing for sure," he said. "I [want] to be ready. No rush."

Some other injury updates:

*Alexander Semin returned to practice and made it all the way through. He is wearing a brace on that troublesome right wrist, though.

*Boyd Gordon (back) made it through a second full day of practice. He's looking at possibly returning this weekend.

*Mike Green (upper body) told me he'll play tomorrow.

*Jeff Schultz (lower body) won't, according to Bruce Boudreau.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 10, 2009; 12:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Practice updates
Next: Nylander update

Comments

Welcome back Greenie

Posted by: Steve_R | November 10, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Not anything more than we've already heard or read but at least tsn was willing to put out a story on it. I have been with Nyls on this but if he backs out of this one I am going to stop cheering for him. He needs to move on and let the Caps move on. He will get all the money he's due this season if he goes, so I wish he'd just go.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 10, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

@joek

You completely missed my point about outbidding Chelios. Teams want Forsberg. Do teams want Chelios? No.

Also, Chelios did not play in the finals. His team did..yes. But Chelios did not. In fact, he only played 6 games in the playoffs that year.

@SinkingCaps

Personal attacks huh? I'm not one to gloat about how long i've been playing hockey/been around the sport or anything like that, but dude...

5 minutes ago you weren't even sure Forsberg was a center, and now you are an expert on him?

If you would like, we can meet up in person and you can tell me to my face all the things which you feel so strongly about me. Personal attacks are only fun to me if they're in person. I'll buy you a beer.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 10, 2009 12:57 PM

Posted by: richmondphil | November 10, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Gotcha Phil, I look forward to that beer...

I know he plays Center...others are suggesting he can play winger. I am not so sure. Rather than saying HE DOESN"T play wing and getting bashed, I figure I would go with the I don't remember him playing wing.

You attacked me with the "it's only a foot problem"...so I had to defend.

Nothing personal in it.

I do know a lot about Forsberg, not an expert, but knowledgable.

I love the fact they trade his rights for Lindros and he ended up with the cups...and Lindros...ZIPPO!

Posted by: SinkingCaps | November 10, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back Greenie

Posted by: Steve_R | November 10, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

better luck next time SinkingCaps... you just keep on sticking those needles in all the Greenie dolls you have and maybe, just maybe he'll get seriously hurt next time

Posted by: joek443 | November 10, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

hahaha, funny Joe...don't have a greenie doll...but maybe his bobble head will work. I will tell you what, I will put his bobble head near the NHL net I have at my house....maybe then he will start to play defense! lol...

Posted by: SinkingCaps | November 10, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Why exactly would the Caps want another old Swedish center? This seems like a good time to get some Hershey guys up. If we need more experience the Caps could go for something at the trade deadline. With the current goalie situation (Varly being ok, and Theo running hot) it seems that the Caps could make a fair bit of movement. It seems strange to pick up another center considering the depth at center (or at least that's why people were saying Nyls went to Grand Rapids, instead of Hershey).

What is the reason to pick up Forsberg?

Posted by: mattbuckley80 | November 10, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Why yes...telling me that i've been following hockey for 3 months in Richmond would be a personal attack. On the contrary, telling you that Forsberg foot is his main problem doesn't seem very personal at all.

I also don't get why (once again) fans of a Southern team try to make fun of hockey in the South. Makes me chuckle every single time. (FYI, I've probably been going to hockey games south of DC since before you knew what a puck was. Yeah, that was a bit personal.)

Dallas, Carolina, and Tampa all rules. Hockey in non-hockey places rule.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 10, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

tweets from tarik say no update on nylander today. chesnokov calling his sources in minsk. hope they dont yank his chain like ovie.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 10, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. Maybe Nylander has decided that because Minsk is a dump, he would rather hold the Caps to the NMC. Just saying.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | November 10, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

didn't Langway play for a Richmond team after he retired from the Caps?

Posted by: joek443 | November 10, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, he coached the second RiverDogs their first or second year. Oh man...poor Riverdogs. They went bankrupt last year and lost their contract. :(

Paying 5 bucks to watch extremely sloppy hockey from behind the bench is always fun.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 10, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh man, you're right about him playing there too though. Langway played a few games and did the playoffs for the first Riverdogs back in the 90s.

Never knew that.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 10, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

KHL rules limit how many foreign players on a team. Thought I read somewhere (last week?) that Minsk is already at their limit.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 10, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

@joek443, I actually saw Langqay play for the San Francisco Spiders in 1993-4 time frame when I lived out there. He was notable becauase 1) he was old enough to be the grandfather of most of the other players and 2) was still grandfathered (no pun intended) out of the helmet rules.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | November 10, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Phil...we aren't a couple of girls (meaning I was going to apologize)...so guess we move on.

BTW...had tickets in their first year in the Cap Centre...yup, got to see Hartland Monahan in his greatest!

And, I went to school in NE...hockey is real up there (except Bruin fans are almost as obnoxious as Pens fans)

Posted by: SinkingCaps | November 10, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Phil...Riverdogs or the Renegades? I know they were in existence for a bit with Laughlin being a part owner...and a guy named "Nate"...(played mens league with him for a few summers)

Posted by: SinkingCaps | November 10, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Also, as most regulars know, I only moved to Richmond 3-4 years ago. I was born and raised in Northern VA. I am sure I am not the only one who went to Renegades/Riverdogs/Knights/Admirals/etc games.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 10, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

When I was talking about Langway, I meant Riverdogs.

When I was talking about the recent team going under, I did mean the Gades. "Save the gades" should've stuck in my head, with all the advertising they were trying to do at the end of last season.

I would like to see a new team fill the Coliseum.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 10, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

looks like a nice building from rt64...

Posted by: SinkingCaps | November 10, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Only a fool would compare Forsberg to Nylander. Ask anybody from Ron Francis, Ray Ferraro, or Ray Bourque who the best player they ever played with or against was - to a man they answer Peter the Great [Bourque says top 3, to be fair]. Forsberg can play anywhere but he usually centered the Avs top line, or lined up on Sakic's wing with Hejduk on the when the Avs needed a goal or on the PP.

For those who say actions speak louder than words, look who great coaches [Bowman, Hitchcock, Crawford] put their best D-man against - and it usually wasn't Joe Sakic. I always thought Sergei Federov in his prime was the best all-around player I'd ever seen - until I saw Peter Forsberg. Look at playoff points per TOI - he's up there with Lemieux and Gretky, who got all the calls.

Posted by: govtimbo | November 10, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

did Semin hurt his wrist getting a penalty

Posted by: heathdog1119 | November 10, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Here Here

While in Helsinki this week, last saturday two flyers looked like scouts with accents toboot. Carrying Flyers logod duffle bags....Finland is hosting the EU playoffs-championship..Finlsnf thumped Sweden 7-0 on saturday...hmmm why were the philly guys there???

next going to see Foresbergs team take on Stockholm's thursday night.

Posted by: hunter32 | November 10, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Does it really matter how good Forsberg USED to be? He's a relic.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | November 11, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse