Ovechkin Could Miss Two Games

I just spoke to Konstantin Selinevich, Ovechkin's business manager and a friend of the family. He said Alex's grandfather has been hospitalized for a few weeks, but in the past 48 hours has taken a turn for the worse. Selinevich said he's not sure exactly what is ailing 83-year-old Nikolay Kabayev but his vital signs are weak.

Kabayev is Ovechkin's mother's father, and he helped look after Ovechkin when he was a young boy, and that's why they have such a close bond.

Ovechkin left Washington this morning, will take a connection from Atlanta to Russia this afternoon and will arrive in Moscow tomorrow.

Right now, Ovechkin is scheduled to return on Sunday, Selinevich said. That, of course, would mean he'll miss Saturday's game in Buffalo, too.

Selinevich also said Ovechkin was grateful that GM George McPhee and the Caps have been so understanding of the situation.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 27, 2008; 2:53 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin Out Tomorrow (Updated)
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

Man, that's a real bummer...

Tarik, thanks so much for the update.

Posted by: DannyBoy1975 | October 27, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

All our best wishes and prayers are with the Ovechkin family.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 27, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

( from previous thread) Point of discussion...........Is Fehr turning out to be this years Eminger? Not playing much and not really given a chance.

Posted by: RichC3 | October 27, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Alex head home ASAP with the blessings of the Caps organization. It's always the right thing to do in that situation but I'm sure Alex struggled with the idea he might be letting his teamates down even though to a player, Im sure they are all 100% behind the decision.

Here's to hoping Alex's grandfather has a speedy and full recoery.

Posted by: Riddler1 | October 27, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

As to Fehr being this year's Eminger -- nope. Fehr is getting chances to play and to prove that he belongs in the NHL. Eminger sat while guys from the AHL were called up, never getting much of a chance to play. I believe that every game Bourque played, so did Fehr. In other words, he was not passed over. Fehr is trying to find ice time on a very offensively talented team. Eminger was trying to find ice time on ah, umm, shall we say challenged team, defensively speaking. I think Eminger sat due to his irregular play -- sometimes good, smart, inpsired, sometimes poor, stupid, and lazy.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | October 27, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Like everyone said, best wishes to Alex and the rest of the Ovechkin clan, here's hoping the Caps put together a couple victories toghether for him when he gets back.

Posted by: superpaqman | October 27, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad the caps allowed Ovie to go and be with his family. Good move

Posted by: _stevo | October 27, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

The only real similiarity between Eminger and Fehr's situations is that both have waiver issues preventing them from going to the minors. Fehr's problem is that Flash is playing great and Flash is really the only guy he can steal minutes from.

Posted by: koalatek | October 27, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

From previous thread..

First of all I like how the team puts family before hockey, even when its the teams star player going through the hard times. It shows a lot of class. My thoughts and prayers are with the Ovechkin family.

On the home front. I agree with those who have mentioned Semin and his maturity level. He's finally putting together his world class talent that the caps saw in him at only 16 years old. He can easily score 40-50 goals in this league playing with the heart and passion he's showed so far this season.

As for steckel on the second line.. Huh? Makes no sense to me that BB would put him there after saying Stecks has been playing poorly recently. I think giving Fehr a chance on a scoring line will really help his development. Afterall, who wouldn't play better with Feds and Semin on the same line? This would finally be his chance to prove to the organization he's got what it takes to play on this team. If he fails, this may be the last chance he gets from the caps.

Lets hope we build off of last games win (without all the goals against of course) and put together a nice streak.

Lets Go Caps!

Posted by: TowsonCapsFan | October 27, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Steckel or Fehr on second line?

I can't say that I see Steckel being very effective with semin and fedorov. He is a good checking line center but i don't know if he should see time with our best offensive line.

On the other hand, I don't know if Fehr can play left wing.

There has to be a better option.

capsstop.blogspot.com

Posted by: kvarnson | October 27, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

that explains alot...my thoughts are with you and your family Alex, but just know you are doing the right thing to go and be with them right now!

Posted by: mlozzi | October 27, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Somethings are bigger than hockey, even if it is your profession. All from the Caps family nation (friends and fans) wish Ovie and his family the best in this time of concern.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | October 27, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

This whole transformation of Federov into a defenseman intrigues me. Can anyone provide me with a resource (i.e. link) that details how many shifts per game Federov has spent as a defensman this year? Much appreciated.

Posted by: roto29 | October 27, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

In my opinion Fehr should be playing over Captain Clark right now. Clark has been awful so far at both ends of the ice. Give Fehr a chance.

Thoughts and prayers are with the Ovechkin family.

Posted by: ThePat | October 27, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh man, I won't get to see Ovie this Sat. in Buffalo...Oh well, my thoughts and prayers are with Ovie and his family.

Posted by: RITdude | October 27, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Clark has played horrible this season so far. It seems that no matter where BB puts him, he's always out of position in some way shape or form. I know this is due in part to the fact that he was out almost all of last year. I still like the guy as our leader, and I hope to see him get back to the tough, rugged game he brings to the table.

Posted by: TowsonCapsFan | October 27, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Bummer, but he's gotta do what he's gotta do.

But, why wouln't he jsut take the Aeroflot flight from Dulles? Lot faster than changing planes in Atlanta of all places. (Skip the response about it being Aeroflot....)

Posted by: oldtimehockey | October 27, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Handle your business OVIE. Get your mind right, and then come back and play hockey.

Posted by: goskinsgo | October 27, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know when the Predators get into town or where out of town teams stay when visting?

Posted by: derk45 | October 27, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh the stories I have heard about Aeroflot ...

Posted by: Boo- | October 27, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes Great 8.
Different subject. If our goalies don't cut it, will the organization try the youngsters??

Posted by: coastallp74 | October 27, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes Great 8.

Posted by: coastallp74 | October 27, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Take as long as you need, Ovi. We'll be just fine.

On the subject of goalies, I don't think so, but then, I don't think the question will come up. JT is getting better and better every time he's in that net, BJ has done well for himself in the two games he's started. The high scoring games are at least as much the fault of D as they are of G. I'm more worried about our defense than goal, personally.

Any thoughts or comments from the peanut gallery on Sloan's performance so far? I personally like him, but I don't have the funny suit to be considered a puckhead. :)

Posted by: kittypawz | October 27, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Sloan certainly hasn't played any worse than any of our other D men. Save for one bad bounce on a clear that lead to a goal, I would think his play has been adequate to solid at least.

Posted by: WVPhil | October 27, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

ov not being here fora game or 2 wont hurt short term he hasnt been getting it done anyway but he is not alone.......read in Clark Kozlov Backstrom Bradley Stecks
As a team the Caps either overachieved during the last half of last season or are too lazy to do it again this year or maybe they started believing some of the unreal expectations posted by the experts on this site lol

Posted by: wendel2 | October 27, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes to the whole family in this hard time, but especially to Nikolay Kabayev, whichever way this turns out. Safe journey home and back to Alex....

Posted by: irockthered | October 27, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

wendel2, do you walk around with a little raincloud over your head?

Posted by: kittypawz | October 27, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Wish my boss would be nearly as understanding as the Caps. Recently had a personal issue come up that pulled me out of town unexpectedly for a week and I got ripped a new one when I got back and I didn't miss any deadlines or anything.

Any openings in the Caps organization? :)

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | October 27, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, Wendel, have you noticed that the Caps score two goals more per game when Kozlov is in the line up, and he's been injured this year?

Read in, people. Kozlov isn't your scapegoat right now. Neither is Erskine. And give Theodore a break, he's playing behind a worse defense right now than Olie did from 2003-2007.

If you wanna blame anyone, blame Morrisonn. Jurcina. Green, to an extent (But only really at even strength). Face-off losers. Bradley. Clark, to an extent, but I give him a break, because he has been injured and getting back on takes time. And Ovechkin, who, while I'm very sorry for the reasons, but the kid needed some games off.

Best of luck to you, Ovechkin's Grandfather.

Posted by: Whitermage | October 27, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the enlightening news, wishing well for Ovie and his family.

Posted by: TXguy | October 27, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Q:

Anyone know what the longest consecutive game streak is in the NHL? and by whom?

Posted by: goskinsgo | October 27, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

That's terribly unfortunate for Ovie and his family. I'm glad the organization understands the situation and I really hope everything turns out for the best for Mr. Kabayev and the whole Ovechkin family. They'll be in my thoughts.

Posted by: Videre | October 27, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

@freakinandpeakin

I doubt you work as hard as Ovie does. Try steamrolling everything that moves in the office for the rest of the week, and see how your treated when the next personal issue comes up.

Posted by: SA-Town | October 27, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

@ Goskinsgo
Doug Jarvis holds the record....all time
The current streak....Andrew Brunette comes up on the current leader on NHL stats

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | October 27, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

peanut gallery, did someone call my name?

It's too early for me at least to tell on Sloan. He sure makes a splash on each of his +/- events doesn't he?

Is he a big play guy who is getting used to playing in the big leagues? Or is he an average or worse player just doing a bang-up job of making his time on the ice stand out?

Good or not, I do see him up ice quite a bit for his feeble minutes and I keep hoping for a stay at home guy.

Posted by: TXguy | October 27, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Ovechkin family right now.

On a separate note, does anyone else feel like Clark is still hurt or maybe re-injured himself? He's just not himself on the ice lately... He looked good in pre-season (3G, 2A in 5 games), even threw a few punches... Now, it's zip.

Posted by: Tracy2117 | October 27, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Just received The Hockey News. Two interesting points:

1) When I read "The 10 Scariest Players" I half expected to see Brash on the list. He was not, but guess who was? Ovie! Everyone else had a little paragraph, Ovie just had this: "Sixty-five goals and 220 hits last year. Enough said." HA! :-D

2) On the cover it says, "Is this finally Marty Turco's year?" Based on how he has been playing so far, my guess is no ... :-/

Posted by: Boo- | October 27, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz
no but thanks for asking. What do you walk around under?

Posted by: wendel2 | October 27, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

You seem so full of doom and gloom all the time, wendel2. Cheer up a little. :)

Posted by: kittypawz | October 27, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

@SA-Town: What I wouldn't give to steamroller everything in my office that moves for a week. The bosses wouldn't appreciate it, but the image of knocking my boss headfirst into the visitor's bench makes me smile. A lot.

I'll have to keep that image in my happy place, dude. Thank you.

Posted by: kittypawz | October 27, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz
Thought we were talking about the Caps?
Do you have a favourite nursery rhyme you could share with us to defer the need for gloomy forecasts or maybe an everybody gets hugs blog?

Posted by: wendel2 | October 27, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

We are, sir. The Caps aren't that bad, they're just lacking focus right now. You sound like you're about ready to write the season off based on 8 games.

As for the everyone gets hugs blog ... nah, I'm just of the mindset that it's too early to write the Caps off yet. :)

Posted by: kittypawz | October 27, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz re: knocking your boss head-first into the visitor's bench - LOLOLOL! Where can I buy tickets?

Posted by: irockthered | October 27, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Well, as all have said already, our thoughts and prayers to OV and his family. Got to think that as his grandfather has been hospitalised for a couple of weeks it has been playing on his mind. Maybe he has been trying too hard to score for his grandfather?

On a different note why do certain people still feel the need to be so negative. So far in this young season the Caps have:

The joint leading points scorer
Chased one of the best goalies in the league
Beaten the Pens in Pittsburgh (despite a 3 goal start for the Pens)
Beaten serial playoff team Dallas in Texas
A winning record
A share of the Division lead

All this despite:

Injury to 1st line forward
Injuries to two Dmen, including a top 4 and most experienced D man
Injury to main enforcer
5 of 8 games away from home
Having to play our 2nd line centre on D due to injuries
Having to play a Dman with no previous NHL experience for a 3 game road trip

Come on people. We could have been in a much worse position, look at Tampa.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | October 28, 2008 5:35 AM | Report abuse

Liking the idea of people rubbing work colleagues out Happy Gilmore style.

Make sure you shout "Get off my puck baby, don't you ever touch my puck!!" as you squash them up against the glass of a office.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | October 28, 2008 5:37 AM | Report abuse

Dave:
RE: negativity, AMEN! RE: rubbing people out, I'm a little frightened! ;-) BTW, did you get through all of your reading material yet?!? :-D

Posted by: Boo- | October 28, 2008 6:18 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if the game will be webcast somewhere? I really hate to listen to the radio.

Posted by: _Tim | October 28, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

I know I don't usually post here. As a person who has an autograph ticket for you on Sunday; Don't worry about it. There are other shows.

Do what you gotta do no matter how long it takes. Family is Very Important. Your Team and Your fans support you 100%!

Posted by: CALSGR8 | October 28, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Quentin Laing should be called up! He's incredible!!

Posted by: Jaymagz | October 28, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse