Ovechkin day-to-day with upper body injury

Alex Ovechkin suffered an upper body injury in the second period tonight and did not return. The winger said he's day-to-day.

Asked what happened during the scrum, where it appeared he was originally injured, Ovechkin said: "It was just a moment of the game. Nothing happened. [Jason Chimera] hit me, I hit him. It was a little battle over there but nothing happen. I can't tell you how I got hurt. It's day to day, but just in case I didn't go back on the ice."

Asked if he thought the injury was serious, Ovechkin said: "I don't know."

Ovechkin didn't want to say much, but he did confirm that the injury is upper body in nature. He also took several drinks from his Gatorade bottle with his right hand, but didn't seem to be doing much with his left arm, though he was not wearing a sling.

I don't expect another update from the team tonight, and there is no practice tomorrow.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 1, 2009; 8:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin hurt (updated)
Next: Blue Jackets 5, Caps 4 (OT)

Comments

Encouraging news on Ovie. Chimera is still a baby. Get over yourself Chimera. You're in the NHL. Can't take a hit? Go play some non-contact street hockey.

Posted by: Jonathan6 | November 1, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

This sounds somewhat encouraging, but I don't like that he said 'I don't know' when asked if it was serious, Hopefully it's just a deep bruise or less, and nothing like a separated shoulder/broken collar bone.

How about ol' Quintin Laing getting a goal tonight. How wicked is that?

Posted by: Aldred15 | November 1, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

How bad were the zebras? Goalie interference on Stecks, no trip on Juice in the corner, the interference on Pots in ot. This one was stolen.

Posted by: IceNutz | November 1, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

some of you really need to save your outrage against the refs for the playoffs instead of this early in the regular season... sound rather whiny

Posted by: joek443 | November 1, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, in the long run, the point we missed out on was a drop in the bucket. The Refs were terrible but if this one point is the difference between us making the playoffs or not, we may as well not because we won't get past the first or second round anyhow.

Posted by: Unleash_The_Caps | November 1, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

@joek443 -- Gotta admit there were some pretty obviously bad calls tonight though. Caps still could have pulled out the win though.

Posted by: butcherbaker | November 1, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

2 silly penalties cost us the game............maybe anybody who takes a dumb one has to sit by nylander for a game!!!

Posted by: wendel2 | November 1, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Asides from having those 2 terrible, cross crease goals the team looked pretty good without Ovie. A lot of guys stepped up. I was really hoping Brooksie would find an empty netter, but still a lot of "secondary" scoring when needed tonight.

Posted by: breaklance | November 1, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

The defense as a whole looked pretty atrocious during the parts I watched.

Posted by: hockeyweasel | November 1, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Russian Machine never breaks

Posted by: sloozebury | November 1, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

@ butcherbaker

there are bad calls every night... some nights you benefit from them and some nights you get hurt from them

I used to get outraged by them all the time years ago but now I just save my outrage for the playoffs

Posted by: joek443 | November 1, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Based on his postgame comments, Jared Boll seemed to have an idea what happened to Ovechkin. He said he saw Ovechkin's arm get caught on something.

Ovechkin typically doesn't get involved in that kind of stuff. Too bad he didn't just walk away from Chimera or whoever it was that shouldered him.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 1, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

i believe the dasher boards behind theo in the second period should be disciplined...cost us a goal and the game..

Posted by: dcsportsfan1

That is indeed a good one. What would you recommend - a bonfire or a hammer? Maybe the people who put the rink together should get a stern talking to. Seriously though, how do you discourage undisciplined play and is going to become a habit?

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | November 1, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ (from previous thread),

Yes, you called it. Flash, Backstrom, Semin are now our top line -- by default.

With Ovi injured, the KLM line was back together (and Laich started scoring again).

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 1, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Caps should have won this game. How could Knuble, who almost killed off the penalty by himself, then go slash the guy in the hand at center ice? This team has to put teams away! Yes I know the Caps lead the Southeast and have a good record, but an "elite" NHL team cannot and should not lose 2 games at home in the opening minutes of OT to teams like the NYI and CBJ.
Best wishes to Ovie, however the staff and coaches must make him thoroughly rehab this injury. Otherwise he could be nursing this thing all season and lose his effectiveness by playoff time.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | November 1, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Comments on game. Boy am I p***ed off. Every Capitals loss has been a heartbreaking affair that they should have won and had had the lead for at least one point. Unfortunately, I am not exaggerating.

Tally --

1) OT loss to Philthy with stupid penalties galore.

2) Regulation loss to Detroit with 4 penalties, most of them costly. Lost near end of regulation

3) Regulation loss to Rangers near end of game

4) OT loss to NJ after a 2 goal lead

5) OT loss to Islanders after having a lead late in 3rd period

6) OT loss to Columbus tonight after having a lead late in 3rd period and 4, count them, 4 costly penalties, 2 of them to Knuble.

If Semin had done what Knuble had done (taken 2 costly penalties, people (and other bloggers) would be calling for his head right now. Don't get me wrong. I like Mike Knuble. I think he's a good addition to the team but I'm just saying....

And now Ovi's hurt!!!!! Originally, I was wondering if he was being benched for having an awful game and that penalty on him was the last straw. But I know that it is not characteristic of Boudreau to bench guys for that long. Plus, the other team's guy had gotten a game misconduct and the Blue Jackets had more guys in the box than us. (But when he wasn't back for Period 3 and I had heard he was injured.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 1, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

please God be alright ovie

Posted by: _stevo | November 1, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

I know this is off topic but what does CSN Washington bother covering the Ravens?

I live up here in columbia and even the people here don't want anything to do with washington. they have MASN, just stick with washington teams!!!

Posted by: joek443 | November 1, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Hello gang, know of any stay-at-home defensemen who are impending free agents at the end of the year? Bonus points for identifying if they are unrestricted or restricted free agents.

I'm trying to think of some good candidates for us to acquire.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 1, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

the caps played very hard tonight but the refs won the game for columbus.

you can call me whiny if you want, but that's exactly what happened. when the entire auditorium is chanting about how bad the calling is, then i don't think you can say i'm alone in what i'm feeling.

i think the refs should have to come up before the media after the game with video demonstrations rolling and explain why exactly they made a certain call or missed a certain call. make them accountable. don't let them hide behind the threat of fines for players or coaches who complain. make the zebras face the same criticism that the players face, and i bet you the penalties would be more evenly applied to everyone, and not just now and again.

Posted by: spinner-33 | November 1, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

believe Knuble cost us a point and I believe he should be disciplined. Yes he played great in other parts of this game but that's no reason to be stupid at the end of his shift.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | November 1, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

first of all he didn't cost YOU anything...

were you saying OV should have been disciplined as well for aimless skating around in his own zone and didn't cover his man against the isles when they scored in the OT???

Posted by: joek443 | November 1, 2009 8:38 PM

First, I said US (by which I meant the organization and the fans) not ME personally. I believe it costs the fans because they get stressed when the team underachieves (not always because they lose).

Second, I think that although OV made a bad play on that day it was not as gratuitous as was Knuble's today. So, no I don't think he should be disciplined.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | November 1, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Yea, Knuble was a one man wrecking crew during that one penalty kill. Too bad he followed that up with a totally unnecessary stick penalty in the neutral zone.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 1, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

@hockeyweasel

You're right!

If we keep having to take face offs in the defensive zone, eventually they're going to score. That's what happened on one of the goals against us. I think, goal #3.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 1, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

@wendel2

They can't sit next to Nyls at this point since Nyls is in Grand Rapids. Are you proposing sending them to Grand Rapids?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 1, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | November 1, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

how about the two bad plays he made today while on the PPs???

one resulted in YET another shorthanded breakaway and the other one, he had to take penalty after he turned the puck over

Posted by: joek443 | November 1, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or does joke suck all the air out of the room?

Posted by: IceNutz | November 1, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

The difference bewtween us and the Pens.

Penguins can make late comebacks from 2 goal deficits against teams like Columbus and WIN in overtime.

We can't.

That being said, I'm still hoping that the Pens go into the Playoffs with overconfidence (after having the best record in the conference and given their track record in the playoffs) and get dumped. I feel it will be a good season if ANY Eastern Conference team outside of the Penguins gets to the Stanley Cup finals.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 1, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

Overall, Ovi was NOT having a very good game. (I recall he had skated off the ice in pain on Friday and was wondering if he was still suffering the effects of that.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 1, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

joek443,

I didn't see that part of the game as I was driving back from Orlando so I cannot really comment. Generally though, bad stuff can happen (e.g., Greenie's gaff the other night) while one is trying one's best. I can think of no reason for Knuble to do what he did.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | November 1, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Say what you want about refs and bad bounces, but until we get better in our own end we will be having these types of losses more often. We do not have the toughness on D in front of the net that we need - ask yourself: how many goals get scored against us in front of the net that are back door or uncontested? Answer - quite a few... Think anyone would be that open or still on their feet if Chris Pronger was standing there on D? Doubtful... But we dont' have him so it's time to truly look at personnel and decide if the team has what it takes on D to win when it counts. Right now we do not.

Posted by: Roose | November 1, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm not for knit-picking every play of the game nor do I believe one play or player costs you a game.

but if you're gonna knit-pick Knuble, OV is a fair game too because those turn overs on the PPs MUST stop immediately or they will be cost the Caps dearly in the playoffs

Posted by: joek443 | November 1, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Sure looked like Ovi was feeling his left shoulder in the penalty box after that skirmish where he threw a left at Chemura. Pretty sure that was the injury. Good to have Ovi stand up for himself but hate to see that happen.

Posted by: alagarts | November 1, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

@caps fan 75 nyls is done in gr back to dc to sit around.his stint had a maximum time on it....thought u'd know that

Posted by: wendel2 | November 1, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Per Nate Ewell, Caps PR guy, in a tweet:

Upper body injury. Likely to play Wed.

Posted by: dfe1 | November 1, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Dumb penalties or bad ref's calls don't matter for them. If they don't tighten up on defense including the forwards backchecking they will go out early in the playoffs.. They have been BRUTAL in their own zone with coverage all year....

Posted by: topshelf | November 1, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

@wendel2

Wasn't sure when Nyls stint in Grand Rapids is "officially" over.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 1, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Just replied to a bunch of stuff in the last thread. It's getting laid and I can't be bothered to copy all that stuff here so if you're interested read it there.

One thing I will say is that the convo there resulted in me making an addition to my "complete tools to be ignored" list. Congrats, irish.

Posted by: ranndino | November 1, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

There were a few people posting here that had a clue, please one of them answer this. The clueless need not reply, thanks! After Chimera hit Ovie while he was headed off the ice, Boll came off the bench and got involved and was the one who hurt Ovie. Can he be suspended for coming off the bench and getting involved in the scrum? When the refs broke it up there were 5 Caps and 7 Jackets on the ice.

Posted by: majiksea | November 1, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I believe players should be held accountable when they take unnecessary and costly penalties. Those are under their control and theirs alone. I can't really hold it against players when they get beat on a play, especially when they are trying their best.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | November 1, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

@kcbrichmond

Agree with you. Caps should have won this game.

Yes, the difference between us and the Pens. The Pens can make comebacks from 2 goal deficits and can win in overtime. The Caps can't.

On elite teams. There is only one elite team in the Eastern Conference at this point. The Caps will win their division by default. I don't think there's any elite team in the North Least either although Buffalo's off to a great start. And does anyone think the Rangers are an elite team? Not me.

I just hope the Pens get so overconfident about their talent and having the "right stuff" that they get dumped in the playoffs. I will be so proud of the first Eastern Conference to dump the Pens in the playoffs no matter who they happen to be. Even if it's a team I normally hate.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 1, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

@dfe1

So Ovi's likely to play Wednesday. If that's true, it's good news indeed.

(I'm in a horrible mood at the moment.)

Maybe it's a good thing I don't own a team. People of my astrological sign have a pretty bad track record when they have absolute power. George Steinbrenner, Peter Angelos, Henry VIII. (I think Steinbrenner is the Henry VIII reincarnated.) I guess us Crabs need someone to keep us from making important personnel decisions when p***ed off which is what Steinbrenner and Angelos don't have.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 1, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Well, they say Wednesday, but who knows. They better let it heal instead of rushing him back.

Posted by: dfe1 | November 1, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I would let OV sit out a game or two and wait till he's fully recovered before putting him back in the lineup.

I know it's always disappointing to see them lose but they played very well without OV. Kinda reminded me of the old days when they didn't have a superstar like OV... when they had to fight and outwork the other team in order to win.

it won't hurt them in the long run to play without him for a week or so.

Posted by: joek443 | November 1, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Does Chimera come back at OV if he has to answer to Brashear?

Posted by: kevinTheK | November 2, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

PRECISELY Kevin. Ovie's injury is on McPhee and his stupid "we're too skilled to need a tough guy" attitude. The Caps will pay for such stupidity in the long run.

Posted by: dcsportsdude | November 2, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse