Ovechkin: Fedorov Wants to Stay

Alex Ovechkin said moments ago that he talked to pending unrestricted free agent Sergei Fedorov during the world championships about the 38-year-old playing at least one more year in Washington.

Ovechkin liked Fedorov's answer.

"I talked to him, and I know for sure [that] he wants to stay in Washington," Ovechkin said on an NHL conference call from Pittsburgh, where he'll be presented with the Art Ross and Maurice "Rocket" Richard trophies this afternoon. "It's not my job to talk about money and how many years he wants to be there, that's [for] George and Fedorov's agent. He wants to play -- not just with me -- but with [the] Capitals."

I pressed Ovechkin for some additional details about his conversation with Fedorov. But in typical Ovechkin fashion (when it comes to talking publicly about sensitive subjects) he wouldn't reveal much.

"It's a secret," he said with a chuckle. "But he wants to stay."

So it sounds like Fedorov isn't planning to retire. Whether he'll accept a discount to come back to the Caps, well, that remains to be seen.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 28, 2008; 12:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Re-sign Bradley (Updated)
Next: Winter Cassic Set; Game 3 Ratings Up

Comments

I don't understand, they speak english to each other? первый

Posted by: Anonymous | May 28, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious how the Pens respond to Ovie. Anyone got an idea?

Posted by: NFeKPo | May 28, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

That is great news! Hope they can make it work and we see him in a caps uni for another year. Watch him come back as our PP coach - that would be funny!! Hey wait a minute.....

Posted by: Grape8 | May 28, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Signing Feds would kick all kinds of a@@. First three centers: Nicky, Nyls & Feds? Wow!

Posted by: Steve R | May 28, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Let's all start saving so we can pay him out of our own pockets if he wants more than what George will give him. Fedorov is awesome.

Posted by: Jordan | May 28, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

SWEET SASSY MOLASSEY!!!!!!!!!!! YES!

Posted by: Ben | May 28, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Darn, I had to hang up and missed that question. Kudos to person who asked it. That's a great question.

I did however love how the On Frozen Idiots asked A.O. if he thought Semin could one day challenge for the same awards that A.O. has won/will win.

I guess their "sources" have dried up...

Posted by: Caps Nut | May 28, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Can't be a shocker here. After a couple years in hockey Siberia Feds gets a chance to play with some contenders and some great guys and remembers why he played hockey to begin with. Then, he goes to the worlds with a few of them and wins the prize. If he has anything left (which it appears he does), he's gotta want to keep this going.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | May 28, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Nylander, Backstrom, Fedorov, Steckel...Those are 4 SOLID centers.

That would be awesome.

Posted by: Jon | May 28, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Not a surprise, he gets to feel Russian pride playing with the Kremline as well as intense American appreciation from the DC fans, it's like friggin glasnost and a rebirth!

Posted by: Eponymous | May 28, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

This is good news.

But on another subject--and I know it's not your fault, Tarik--the Post's coverage of the Stanley Cup Finals is really just pathetic. Bare bones wire service articles with no after-the-game quotes for games 1 and 2, and no stories at all during the off day. It's like the Post editors are trying to hide that the games are even going on.

Posted by: Fingerman | May 28, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm telling you... have feds take a few months off and not start the season in October would be FANTASTIC for him and for the Caps. We get to develop a young guy for a few months, and Feds keeps his legs fresh for the playoff push.

It could work.

GET IT DONE GMGM

Posted by: Go Skins Go | May 28, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Makes the Bradley signing all the more ridiculous. I have no problem with Fedorov coming back at all (if reasonably priced), but it would really start putting the squeeze on some forwards. With Ovechkin, Semin, Nylander, Backstrom, Clark, Kozlov, Laich, Gordon, Bradley, Brashear, and Fedorov, that would leave one playing spot open to split between Fleischmann, Fehr, Laing, and Steckel - the squeeze is on, and at least one (likely Laing) would have to be sacrificed and two others who shouldn't be sitting would be.

Signing Fedorov would be a very good thing, but it would make it all the more frustrating to have Bradley on the books.

Posted by: Nomad | May 28, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Ov - Feds - Sasha
Kozy - Nylander - Clarkie
Brooksy - lil Nicky - Fehr
Gordon - Steckel - Brash/Bradley

game over man, game over...

Posted by: wanggo | May 28, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh good God. Cutesy nickname overload.

Posted by: Nomad | May 28, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I am sure this is the best fit for Feds. Being around a core of his Russian buddies.....it's a win win situation being here. I can't think of a better place he would want to be, and a place that he would be more welcomed. Roll out the "RED CARPET".......

Posted by: Back2theUSSR | May 28, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

YYYYYYYYEEEEESSSSSSS

THAT WHOULD BE SWEAT!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: CA Caps Fan | May 28, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

It would be SWEET too!!!!

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | May 28, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nomad | May 28, 2008 1:34 PM

Posted by: psps23 | May 28, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

SASSY MOLASSEY INDEED!!!

Posted by: ОВЕЧКИН | May 28, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

This is great, but...

He's old. Really old. Sure, he takes great care of himself and is the ultimate professional, and could play until he's Chelios's age, but he's one medium-sized injury from retirement. And, on the Verizon Center's crappy, groin munching ice, well, I fear for his safety.

Posted by: old time hockey | May 28, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure why Laing is still being mentioned.

We all loved his attitude and contributions but does anyone REALLY think he'll be in a Caps sweater next year?

Posted by: keef | May 28, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Just what the "young guns" need. An old man twirling around, oh wait, that would be Nylander.

Posted by: Chief | May 28, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

BEST #1 Line in the NHL

Ovechkin///Federov///Semin!!!

Did i mention on are powerplay were quite sick to! Mikey Green!

Sign em all Curious George ASAP!

Posted by: Zack Attack | May 28, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey, 3 misspelled words in one sentence, none over 4 letters...could be a record.

Posted by: OldPhil | May 28, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Phil, Crosby holds that record. 5 under 4 letter words misspelled in one sentance.

Did you know that Crosby can chew gum while skating - he is soo good!

Posted by: 828 | May 28, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

@oldtimehockey
At least he only would play half the games at verizon.I think they are working on getting a better surface in the booth. More pipes, colder a/c.

Posted by: slushpond | May 28, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

"If our problem is having too many overqualified forwards to choose from, then I'd say this is a very, very good thing we have here."

Posted by: Nomad | May 28, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Signing Fedorov will spell the end for Gordon, Laich, or Fehr, and I think that would be determined by salary demands.

That being said, I think its a great move that along with a goalie and green signed, should make the caps serious contenders next year.

Posted by: Stormblue | May 28, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@Stormblue:
I disagree that signing Fedorov will mean the end of Laich (21G, versatile, young, good overall), Fehr (younger, good upside, still learning), or Gordon (played hurt from January on, young, great defensive center when healthy)...

I think it pushes Flash, Bradley or Brashear in/out off a healthy line-up, depending on the opponent...

Posted by: FrankM73 | May 28, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Without solid defense, consider the Caps a good regular season team and a joke "if" they make the post season.
Then again, the IIHF tourney is FAR more important to the Russians.

Posted by: Chief | May 28, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I see this team getting 110 points next year! I see Brash being scratched quite a bit too!

Posted by: hundred&ten | May 28, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@Stormblue

Gordon may be out. Laich is a must and Fehr needs to stick around.

I like Gordon, but he didnt seem to have the scoring touch that Laich showed this year.

Posted by: SA-Town | May 28, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

"Then again, the IIHF tourney is FAR more important to the Russians."

That's because GMGM made it that way!

Why do they even bother playing in the nhl anyways?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 28, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

@slushpond

Do you have any more information on the Caps improving the ice surface at the Verizon Center? Thanks.

Posted by: MikeR | May 28, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I agree the most likely odd man out is Gordon. I only add the others because we don't know what salary they might demand or who could be traded. Do they sign Laich if he wants 2 million or more?

I don't think they just signed Bradley to be a million dollar benchwarmer. I think we are shaping up for another Sutherby situation...and we haven't even seen what prospects might play their way onto the roster and really shake things up.

Posted by: Stormblue | May 28, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

genius.

Nomad, let us all know when you've seen your first pro game.

Posted by: bigonetimer | May 28, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Luckily, I think it highly unlikely that Gordon get pushed out of the lineup. He had a sophomore slump offensively, to be sure, but he's still an exceptional defensive forward and penalty killer and has the capability to provide more on offense (as he showed the year prior). Even underperforming on offense, he ended up with two fewer points in ten fewer games than did Matt Bradley.

The Gordon to Laich comparisons aren't necessarily fair - the 06/07 season was Gordon's first full season in the NHL, and he put up a respectable 29 points in 71 games - it wasn't until Laich's third full season (07/08) that Laich surpassed that mark. Those two shouldn't be forced into competition with each other to make room for lesser players than either of them (Bradley and Brashear).

Posted by: Nomad | May 28, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

""I don't think anyone can make the case that Matt Bradley (or Donald Brashear) are overqualified at any playable position in the NHL."

genius.

Nomad, let us all know when you've seen your first pro game."

Whatever you say, chief. Both are qualified to be fourth liners, neither are overqualified for anything. It's a simple concept, sorry it eludes you.

Posted by: Nomad | May 28, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

@Slushpond,

I'll believe that when I see a hard cold surface. The ice has always sucked. Now its worse. Abe doesn't care. Maybe Ted can threaten to move the team to Florida and get the city to give him $611 million to build a better arena or at least fix the old one.

And, I second the really crappy SC coverage in the Post now. (Again, not your fault Tarik.) Its just pure AP feed, with no additional coverage. Hey, even the local angle talking about how Ovechkin sees it would be interesting. Compare that to the conference finals in the NBA which have columnists coverage and I believe a front page below the fold blurb this morning.

Using this same logic, the Superbowl would not get covered because the R-words weren't in it.

Posted by: old time hockey | May 28, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

As mentioned above, they are not going to be in any hurry to ditch Steckel, Flash, Gordon or Fehr. These are the youngsters that they have been referring to for the last few years as being a big part of the future of the team.

Steckel is a huge part of the team for face-offs and penalty killing. Gordon has potential - I was down on him for part of last year until I heard he was playing injured. Fehr is too soon to tell. Anyone who has seen my posts over the year knows how I feel about Flash - trade him for a bag of pucks. Of course, by extending him 2 years at $750k per, they will not give up on him anytime too soon. That leaves Laing out in the cold.

I might have considered either Bradley or Brashear, but not both. Don't get me wrong, I love them both (as well as Cooke), but there are only so many spots on the roster. And you'll never get guys like that to sign 2-way contracts, if that's even an option at this stage of their careers.

Posted by: alpca3877 | May 28, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Hockey is too complicated for the idiots in charge at the Post to cover it. They'd rather put much more into a sport on a brand new baseball team where guys just hit a ball thrown at them with a stick. And hire 3-4 reporters for it. Hell will freeze over before they actually create a splash page for the Caps on washingtonpost.com

Posted by: MNMNT | May 28, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I think you will all see a vast improvement of the ice surface next season. If not, we might see another arena being built in the Northen Va. Area to house Hockey only . This arena would hold the capitals and there farm team (i.e. Hershey) in the same arena.All the players would reside in the area.

Posted by: slushpond | May 28, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I think slushpond is on drugs. Strong drugs.

Posted by: Jordan | May 28, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Jordan on that.

Posted by: MNMNT | May 28, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

@slushpond

The Verizon center is one of the hottest spots in D.C now for food/drink/fun...I think your right they will dump it all for a NOVA ice rink..

Nice try

Posted by: Anonymous | May 28, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

@slushpond
Pass it over dude!

Posted by: passpasstok | May 28, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

slushpond has been breathing Zamboni fumes.

1. Even assuming that there will be another rink in NoVa, it won't be "hockey only". Unless its built on with some guy who pays for all the operating losses personally, that ain't a viable business model for an arena.

2. Ignoring for a second that the Caps just re-upped the Bears for another few years, the only places where an NHL team and its AHL affiliate can survive in the same place are cities where the NHL team draws well enough to sell out: Toronto, Phil, etc. Even there, there's a risk as the Flyers found out a few years ago when the Phantoms, who were better and less expensive, out drew them.

3. And not ignoring it: the Caps just re-upped with the Bears. They aren't leaving Chocolate Town.

4. The "Little Caps" do not count as a farm team.

I hope the ice is better next year, I really do. But, I'm not holding my breath. I'm not expecting loving tended Calgary ice, but avoiding the giant chunks down to the concrete that we had at the end of last season would be a nice start.

Posted by: old time hockey | May 28, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

overqualified is not the issue, pal...no one is overqualified to be in the NHL.

Your argument vs: the Brads signing and how it relates to signing Fedorov doesn't hold any water, either. Feds is a center (and a D man in a pinch) and his signing makes us better down the middle; Brads is a RW, and the second best "natural" RW we have. This year's UFA class at RW priced between 700K and 1M (based on 2007-2008 salary) for players under 30 is thin and short--with Bradley off the list, there are currently 3, and their names aren't Jagr or Hossa. He's also arguably our toughest player behind Brashear. Brads was a good re-sign for us, maybe a bit expensive, but not by much.

As far as your "squeeze" is concerned, it falls on Flash and Fehr, as Steckel is currently the 4th line center. I love Laing's game, but he's a journeyman. Fehr is an up and comer, no doubt. But count me among the many who won't be surprised if Flash is in Hershey or elsewhere next season. He's certainly not a better checking RW than Bradley is in any event.

Posted by: bigonetimer | May 28, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

NOTE TO TED:

Kettler/Arlington City Living/Fun Place to Play=Guys like Federov/Huet want to stay and play here.

You think Feds would want to stay if he was living and going to practice at Piney Orchard?

Kettler is huge for our Free Agent draw.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 28, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

@slushpond

Nice try

Posted by: | May 28, 2008 4:28 PM

Glad it's a "hot" spot for something more than a hockey game.....
NOVA...Build it they will come!

Posted by: slushpond | May 28, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

@oldtimehockey
Hershey is gonna be a short lived stay. Hersey (the factory) is relocating to Mexico. The vast majority of the people in Hershey work there. How long do you think they will be supporting da BEARS if they are not working at the factory? Our affiliation with Hershey will not be more than a few more years, (untill the new arena is done in N. Va.)

Sombody put some more gas in the Zam
And shut the damn doors too!
And pass the damn doo be while yer at it!

Posted by: slushpond | May 28, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I'd love for Fedorov to come back, especially if its for a one year contract. However, I would rather keep Backstrom with Ovechkin on the top line, but give Ovechkin, Fedorov and Semin time together on the power play.

I don't think we have any top forward prospects banging down ther door. We have a few "maybes" and "ifs" like Borque, Wilson, A Gordon etc. Bouchard and Perrault both need time in the AHL. Having Fedorov around next year would be great.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | May 28, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

bigonetimer - Now you're scrambling to not look like a complete idiot with your new statement regarding being overqualified. Overqualified is exactly what you took issue with, so your deflection is weak at best.

The signing of Bradley does directly relate to the signing of Fedorov regardless of what you misguidedly think. Looking at the UFA class is ignoring the issue with the signing. The Caps have a limited number of slots available among the players to whom they currently hold the rights.

Ovechkin, Nylander, Backstrom, Semin, Kozlov, and likely one of Clark or Fehr man the top six.

On the bottom six, you have whichever of Clark or Fehr remains, Laich, Gordon, Steckel, Bradley, and Brashear. That implies Fleischmann at the very least on the bench, which is foolhardy considering his potential upside. Adding Fedorov to the mix pushes one of those bottom six off the playing roster (since Fedorov falls into the third line center slot, likely moving Laich to the left wing).

The guy with whom he is competing the most is Boyd Gordon, who is the one I would much rather have playing every night. Gordon is a natural right wing, that's the position he was playing in Red Deer before he started working the center on the PK. With Fehr or Clark likely the third line right wing, and Brashear or Fleischmann being the only remaining left wings (Fleischmann is a natural right, but has more experience on the left than any of the others), it's Gordon who is most likely to be left out in the cold by the Bradley signing. With Bradley's salary and term, it is highly unlikely that he sit on a regular basis. And it greatly cuts down on the possibility of seeing any of the young guys who could earn a look during the year (Andrew Gordon, Chris Bourque, Perrault, Bouchard).

As for Bradley being the second best natural right wing on the Caps, that's just a laughable statement. Clark and Fehr are the easy picks. Then you have Boyd Gordon, who I would put ahead of Bradley handily.

Posted by: Nomad | May 28, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

@Slushpond

To my knowledge, Hershey is not closing the Hershey plant. I can't imagine that ever happening as it would be disastrous PR to leave the town named after the company.

They did shut down a Canadian plant or two, and one out in California. Maybe thats what you were thinking...

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | May 28, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Closing multiple plants. Google it. But not closing the one *in* Hershey.

@Chief

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh.

Things are looking very promising for next season. Nylander around all year. Fedorov around all year? Clark hopefully back in one piece. Alzner replacing the Penalizing Turtle (aka Erskine), Green & Backstrom actually improving over already excellent years? Fehr back in Hershey to get his game back. Flash getting one last chance to do or get shipped. A #1 goaltender with numbers above .900 during the regular season.

Looking forward to it.

Posted by: Shmoo | May 28, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Is anybody else excited for the game tonight?

Can't believe Therrien is still whining about "obstructions", and I hoped disciplinary actions were taken against that blow to the head... if that was Pronger they would have disqualified him.

The Pens are showing to be a joke, on the off the ice. Let's go Detroit!

Posted by: mauree | May 28, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

The best thing about being a student is all the great resources at your fingertips. Hershey closed plants in '01 & '02. In '02, they expanded the Mexico plant, just to keep up with sales. Their corporate headquarters are in PA, and nothing in their 2007 financials indicates a larger expansion in any of their overseas factories(which they would need) or a closing of the Hershey plant. They have all their stockholder meetings at Giant Center. And like Sombrero said, why leave a town named after your founder?
There's been a suggested arena built in MD, but it would probably house an ECHL, or lower, team. The only great new ice surface in Northern Virgina is Kettler, which is a plus for drawing FAs, not a completely new home for the Caps.
That said, I really hope Feds comes back. He's a great player, and he's Fedorov. After watching him as a kid, I'm still in partial shock that he was/is a Cap.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 28, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

@sombrero guy

The newish CEO of Hershey DID try to move out of town, but it caused such a royal uproar that his plans were scrapped. Don't know what the status is, but I had understood that at least some of the operations were moving, but they were not going to close down operations in Hershey completely.

Great news about Federov -- hope it happens.

Posted by: zelda | May 28, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Oops! Found some stuff hiding in a footnote. New plant in Mexico for 10% of production--closing some plants, none of the 3 in/around Hershey. I think the Bears are as safe as any team can be in the current economic situation.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 28, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Nomad, what's laughable is that you are confused ("Luckily, I think it highly unlikely that Gordon get (sic) pushed out of the lineup [3:42]...."it's Gordon who is most likely to be left out in the cold by the Bradley signing [5:31]") and in over your head with too many assumptions of who plays where ("Fleischmann is a natural right, but has more experience on the left than any of the others").

Fehr's developing, but he has had an injury plagued 48 game pro career--how exactly do you arrive at him being a better RW than Brads right now?

Flash is a minus-7 touch scorer without a shred of toughness, who was exposed in the playoffs. He can't crack the top two lines right now, and you really can't put him on a checking line--that's not his game.

I happen to concur with you re: Gordon--I have a feeling GMGM has made his choice. It's understandable to quibble with his signing, but don't let your (obviously deep) bad feelings about Brads cloud your judgment about who the better NHL RW is, right now, among Fehr, Flash and him. It's not even close.

/game over

Posted by: bigonetimer | May 28, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Hershey,great biography of Milton Hershey by Michael D' Antonio.He's revered in the town 'til this day even though he died in 1945. A great businessman and a better man. I highly reccomend.
@jschon-I'm impressed. Family Ties lyrics from memory. I just wish I could purge the lyrics from "Facts Of Life" from my memory.

Posted by: markfromparkville | May 28, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Just signed on and read all the comments about Hershey. There are NO plans to close the main plant and corporate headquarters in Hershey. The Bears have been in existance since 1938 (do the math--that's 70 years!) and have endured through wars and bad economic times. Largely because the fan base reaches well beyond the borders of Hershey. I personally live 40 miles away and am a full-season ticket holder for over 20 years. Hershey is more than a chocolate factory. Penn State/Hershey Medical Center is one of the premier hospitals on the east coast and probably employs as many people as the chocolate plant. And 15 minutes down the road is Harrisburg, the state capital, which is the largest single employer in the area. Add in numerous other manufacturing and service industries, and central pennsylvania is alive and well and more than capable of supporting the hockey team for a long time to come. In my tenure with the team, we've had affiliations with the Caps, Flyers, Avalanche and now the Caps again. No worries about the future here.

Posted by: tess | May 28, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm glad the flightless boy-wonder decided to show up and save hockey. I was getting concerned that the evil Red Wings were going to prevail. Gag me.

Come on Detroit!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 28, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

rumor mill....has chicago dangling 8 mill to cambell

Posted by: rut roh | May 28, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

bigonetimer - I don't have bad feelings about Bradley at all. I think he's been a solid citizen as a fourth liner and a placeholder, but at this stage in the game he is a redundant piece and the signing is a bad one.

I think Fehr is better because I've been watching him since he was drafted. He has a better overall game, has the ability to play on higher lines, and far more upside.

Fleischmann doesn't have the grit that Bradley does, but he's far better with his stick - not just offensively, but defensively as well.

My statement about Gordon is not contradictory. He won't be cost a spot in the lineup - he's getting a contract. I keep reading a lot of people in various places suggesting he might not get an offer (fans, not press). But he will be under the microscope as far as getting a nightly roster spot. It will be he or Steckel that gets screwed there, I think.

For now and for the future, I think that contract an albatross.

Posted by: Nomad | May 28, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I am bummed that the Wings are not going to sweep with shutouts - hopefully they will still at least sweep. And Darn Syd is living up to his repuation with 2 goals - that ticks me off!!

Steve:
You keep coming back to Ellis - do you prefer him over Huet?

Ben:
SWEET SASSY MOLASSEY, indeed! :-) I think Fed is good for the Caps and the Caps are good for him - I hope they come to terms.

RE: a new arena, I can't see it. But if they did do it, my bet would be on VA over MD (Ted has said that most of the STHs are from VA). But I don't see them moving.

Posted by: Boo! | May 28, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

So Ovie was on the intermission report: I'm taking some liberties with the details.

They were talking about Milbury's "dog" comments about Ovie, and Ovie was basically like, "Well, I play like a dog". Then they asked him to compare Crosby to him. And (jist) he said "isn't that your job?" Then said that Crosby was good and in the finals, etc, etc, being nice and then said that Crosby, Malkin, Backs, Ovie, and Greener were the good players of the future. They asked him who he thought would win the Cup, and he listed off the greats on each team. Then Milbury told him to get a haircut and some gel. And Ovie said, I don't want gel, and then something about his style. My closed captioning seems to be broken. But anyways, just in case folks weren't watching.

Boo!, his reputation should be suffering enough from the pornstache he's rocking to more than make up for the 2 goals. Any small snippets of admiration for his passing ability I may have harbored are forever gone. I'm never going to be able to look at him without picturing it now and breaking into hysterical laughter and/or the shivers from the creepiness of it.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 28, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Those CBS idiots that "Interviewed" Ov between periods of tonights' third S.C. Finals game certainly displayed a total lack of class. Not once did they mention the hardware he received today. Neither did they speculate concerning the other two trophys he's likely to win. Instead, they badgered him about his haircut, and made the obligatory comments comparing him with Crosby. Jesus! What complete schmucks!
As always, Ov displayed the patience and class we've grown to expect of him. Never once did he appear to be annoyed ( Although I'm sure he was ) by the inane stupidity displayed by his tormentors. My hat goes off to him for his calm, dignified demeanor. THREE CHEERS FOR ALEX THE GREAT!!!!!

Posted by: Puckguru | May 28, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Meet Alex's latest girlfriend :-) Lena Lenskaya

Posted by: Anonymous | May 28, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Uh, I agree with guru ... SWEET SASSY MOLASSEY!!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | May 28, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

If Ovie starts dating Feds or another team's star UFA D-man, please post. If not, well...

Posted by: Anonymous | May 28, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Man, flippin' Fleury is ON tonight ...

Posted by: Boo! | May 28, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

What an incredible game. This was Poetry To Hockey and Sport. After watching this I can't believe anybody can think football or any other sport for that matter can even compare.

Good job by the Pens - they got lucky too on the penalties, ref didn't see that high stick on Lidstrom.

Anyway. Breathtaking. If it was the Caps playing, I think I would be dead by now haha.

Posted by: mauree | May 28, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

@ puckguru,

Can certaintly understand why you said "those CBS idiots" as that network is predisposed to such reviews.

However, it was, in fact, NBC idiots that showed ZERO class in their interview.

Alex handled himself with much grace.

Milbury is a friggin IDIOT! NBC, fire him! He belongs at CBS with Katie!

Posted by: OleMiss | May 28, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov back is exactly what I want!!!

Posted by: oo7 | May 29, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Amen, Puckguru! Amen!

Don't forget boys and girls, that Fedorov could sign one year contracts with lots of bonuses added in to sweeten the deal. All those bonuses are not counted towards the salary cap. And before you go shouting that no one in their right mind would sign one year agreements, there are loads of them in the NHL - especially when the players are his age. The one I'm amazed with is Chelios' little 850K one year deal with a 300K bonus possibility. Hasek has one with a bonus that would double his 2.05M salary.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 29, 2008 12:07 AM | Report abuse

@ Olemiss,
Thanks for the correction. Good lookin' out.

Posted by: Puckguru | May 29, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Just had to mention how classless I thought the intermission interview of OV was. Milbury (even after his 'Crapitals' comments and 'OV is a dog' comments) was the one doing the interview!! He once again showed his lack of professionalism. Its one thing to try and be funny, but his comments were just downright RUDE. Perhaps they could get someone to do the interview who can think to ask an *original* question - the Crosby comparison is just plain ignorant.

Posted by: Grape8 | May 29, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

"Hershey is gonna be a short lived stay. Hershey (the factory) is relocating to Mexico. The vast majority of the people in Hershey work there. How long do you think they will be supporting da BEARS if they are not working at the factory?"

Are you going to tell us that there is a retirement community in Florida interested in buying the Bears?
Dude, you have been watching too much "Slap Shot". The town of Hershey (which technically isn't a town) makes up a small portion of Bears fans. The Bears fan base extends much further to Harrisburg, Lebanon, York, Lancaster, Reading, etc. As stated by Tess, the Bears have been around a very long time, longer than any other AHL team, and longer than most NHL teams. I too remember affiliations with the Avs, Flyers(the dark years), the Caps twice, and the Bruins, but I've always been a Caps fan.

Posted by: BearsWoooo | May 29, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

I live in Frederick, MD and make several Hershey expeditions each year to enjoy Bears games. Bears fans & Bears' long history are amazing. The Bears play in a great facility & there is plenty to do in Hershey on overnight trips. When finances allow, my girlfriend finds that a spa afternoon makes my hockey mania more tolerable. The only downside is that I always buy too much candy. I sometimes worry that the Bears/Caps affiliation won't last -- they need to ink a long-term deal like Ovechkin.

Posted by: uncatim | May 29, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

For the record, if Crosby wins the Smythe, I'm going to vomit.

Posted by: old time hockey | May 29, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Old Time:
I can't imagine that Syd would win (not yet, anyway). I would think that Zetterberg, Franzen, Hossa, Datsyuk or Osgood would be more likely candidates at this point. But then again, he IS Syd ...

Posted by: Boo! | May 29, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

let me just say once again that the Post sports section ROTS. There is a totally awesome pic out there of OV posing with his 2 HUGE trophies and what picture is taking up almost the ENTIRE front page of Sports? A couple of dudes on bikes. SPARE ME. They couldn't even get one itty bitty shot of OV on page 1 AND NOT EVEN ONE PIC on the inside page either? SPARE ME. Tarik, love ya but your editors STINK STINK STINK. OV plays for a PRO LEAGUE in OUR CITY...OUR CITY. SPARE ME AGAIN and SHAME ON YOU SPORTS EDITORS.

Posted by: post sports stinks | May 29, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

@post sports stink

I agree, but I think if he wins the Hart, it will make front page.

As long as the Nats dont beat the Marlins the night before..haha

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

@ OTH

"Even there, there's a risk as the Flyers found out a few years ago when the Phantoms, who were better and less expensive, out drew them."

You are showing you're lack of knowledge.

Phantoms have never outdrew the flyers. Even a few yrs ago, when they were really good, they were getting 6-10k/ game. There were a few games where they would sell out the Wachovia Center. However, Even if they did sell out the spectrum each game, it holds less than the Wachovia.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

@greg s

unfortunately Incentives (or bonuses) do in fact count against the cap, but you are allowed to go over the cap to pay bonuses, but must be under the cap by the same amount the following season as a "penalty".

"When teams calculate how much room they have under the cap to add players, any potential bonuses that a player can earn must be included in the player's cap count. Teams may exceed the upper limit by up to 7.5% in order to pay such bonuses (for 2007-08, teams could effectively have an Upper Limit of $54,072,500) with the provision that any team doing this will have its upper limit reduced for the following season by the amount it exceeds the current year's upper limit. If the bonus is not paid, no penalty is imposed. As the season progresses, if a player becomes ineligible for a bonus it will come off the player's cap count and that amount will become available to the team - but only for that season"

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | May 29, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@post section stinks,

I do agree they need a picture of OV with his trophies. Maybe inside though. I actually thought the article on doping in cycling was pretty good. My wife is a die hard cycling fan so I've picked up a lot of cycling over the years. That was pretty well done on a sport that is largely ignored outside the TdF by non-speciality media.

But, how many articles about the NBA playoffs do we really need? Who cares.

Posted by: old time hockey | May 29, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

for the first time im finally jumping on the bandwagon that "posts sports stinks" is driving. its a combination of anger and embarrassment and its F-ING ridiculous.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Puckguru hit it right on the head regarding that interview last night. I turned to my wife and said that it looked like OV wanted to hit Milbury. Oh what glorious sweeps-week TV that would have been.

For those that think the post coverage stinks and hope that OV will get some love if he wins the Hart, remember, there may be not only a Nats game, but don't the Deadskins have a mini-camp? Or OTA? Or isn't there a high school field hockey game? Because those rate higher in the Post's mind...

Posted by: Lee | May 29, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@ 10:49AM

You are showing you're lack of knowledge.

And you are showing poor grammar skills.

grammar skills.

I'm not talking sold tickets. I'm talking butts in seats. I know the Phantoms outdrew the Flyers either last year or the year before. Not this year, though.

Posted by: old time hockey | May 29, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Lee:
I couldn't believe that Milbury was pawing all over Ovie ... even I wanted to smack him (and you know me - that's not my SMO). He could have at least apologized for all of the goonish things that he said about our boys, I congratulated Ovie on his awards in hand / yet to be or SOMETHING. But noooooooo! Yup, you could say that my feelings about him are less than warm and fuzzy. BTW, you lost your guru again ... does it dry up during the off-season?

Posted by: Boo! | May 29, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh no, Boo, I'm always a guru!

Posted by: Leeguru | May 29, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Agree that the Post editors seemingly will never give proper respect to the Caps.

At least the website has this blog and it's not the Times online Sports section, which just went through its third iteration in one year, each one getting progressively worse. Seriously it is the ugliest thing in the world and flies in the face of every modern web design convention. Clicking Capitals takes you to the hockey section, minus any Capitals story filter and the blog link is literally in 8pt type in the middle of nowhere. Poor Corey.

Posted by: Shmoo | May 29, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I know there are other posts, but needed to comment here on the Post coverage. For this town to be taken at all seriously as any form of a hockey loving town, you need to have coverage by the papers. Do you think any other city, North of the Carolinas, with a hockey team would have a story on biking on the cover of their best player won awards? No.

Although I do not care for the NBA, at least it is relevent.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | May 29, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

GO FEDS... RUSSIAN LINE IS THE WAY TO GO, LOOK AT DETROIT IN 97... WHO DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO WIN A CUP???

Posted by: VIK | May 30, 2008 3:27 AM | Report abuse