Ovechkin Gets a Gift From LeBron

Here's a brief update from KCI:

I'm sure you all remember when Ovechkin recently met LeBron James, and Ovechkin gave LeBron a jersey, but LeBron didn't have one for Alex, right? Well, LeBron made good on his debt today.

Team owner Ted Leonsis came into the dressing room looking for Ovechkin with a bag in his hand. In the bag was an autographed Cavs jersey from LeBron, who signed it, "To Alex the Great: keep up the good work, King James."

The Circus Begins

Wonder how big a deal this series is? Or at least how important television and newspaper assignment editors consider it to be? The media contingent out here at KCI swelled to ridiculous proportions this morning. I've never seen anything like it for a second-round matchup. All the locals have been joined by two Toronto newspapers, ESPN.com, the Canadian Press, TSN, Sportsnet, CBC-Hockey Night in Canada, among a dozen other folks I didn't recognize.

As Boudreau properly predicted, the "circus" has officially rolled into town.

Not much to report from the practice itself, other than the fact that there was perfect attendance. Even Jeff Schultz (strained back) made it through the whole session, though he's still not ready to return.

A few other really quick notes and quotes before I write for tomorrow's paper:

Quote of the Day
"We have more physical guys than Pittsburgh, but we have to use this," Ovechkin said. "We're bigger, we're stronger and they have a pretty good checking line. But doesn't matter who gets more hits, it's who gets more goals."

Boudreau on the Media Crush
"It's pretty hard to be prepared," he said. "A lot of those guys have been through more than I have -- the guys [reporters] all talk to. I don't think there are a lot of [reporters] running over to Dave Steckel. So I'm not saying, 'Dave, be prepared for everybody'. The guys who have been through this can handle this."

Pens En Route
The Penguins are practicing in Pittsburgh and are scheduled to arrive in Washington later today.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 1, 2009; 1:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin Returns to Practice
Next: Video: Ovechkin Returns, Injury Updates

Comments

"But doesn't matter who gets more hits, it's who gets more goals."

Actually in Pittsburgh it matters who gets more assists...

That is why they think Geno gets the MVP.

Posted by: SA-Town | May 1, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I'd run over to Stecks!!

Posted by: CapsKH | May 1, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Taking personal bias out of it, my honest opinion is that this is anyone's series. They're evenly matched, they both have d*mn good goaltending, D that is solid when it's inclined (and shoddy when it's not), tremendous offensive power, and a similar style of wide-open, high octane game.

History means nothing. There's nobody on either team from the last time they met in the playoffs.

Less than 24 hours to go. This should be one for the ages. GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: ModestProposal | May 1, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think there are a lot of [reporters] running over to Dave Steckel." and why the heck not?! Everyone should want to get to know Steckel.

Tarik, what's the deal on Fehr and Pothier always talking to Steinberg? They never struck me as the real talkative types, but it seems they'll talk Steinberg's ear off. Fehr in particular, while Pothier chips in with peanut gallery observations.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 1, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Classy move by LeBron. When you watch the video of their meeting you see that Ovie really doesn't think of himself as a superstar. He was totally in awe of LeBron. How lucky are we to have a guy like that as the foundation of our team?

Posted by: ccCapsfan | May 1, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

RedBirdie,
Maybe they're closet "Chatty Cathies" and Steinberg discovered it.
Up until his money quote, I don't think anybody talked to Brooks. Now, you can pretty much depend on a quote from him in every Caps article.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 1, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if anyone said this earlier, but the Playoff Player Rankins are out on TSN. Ovie and Green finally had their No 1 and 2 positions respectively wrested from their grasp. Ovie's ranked 11 and Green isn't on the list. But...

Varlamov is ranked No. 2

Semin is 14.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 1, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Aww, why'd he have to pick on Steckel like that?

Posted by: LouLewis | May 1, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

This just in,

Don Cherry doesn't approve of Ovechkin receiving a Lebron James jersey because neither one of them is Canadian; therefore, neither one of them can be a superstar.

Posted by: BearsWoooo | May 1, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

After the stuggle and stress of the last series, I'd like to say that I'd be happy to actually lead a series for more tha 6:08 of the seven games (1:09 after our first goal in Game 1, and 4:59 after our last in Game 7). How about something soothing like a 1-0 series lead after tomorrow?

Posted by: saintex | May 1, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

That wasn't a fair comment about Stecks. He was on NHL Home Ice "In The Slot" yesterday with Rossy and Espo so they at least wanted him :)

Posted by: hart2014 | May 1, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Man, I would laugh if Steckel nets two tomorrow!

Posted by: LouLewis | May 1, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

7 points in a seven game series doesn't get a good ranking?
Semin only 14? Right....

I hope the boys don't say anything that gets posted in the pens locker room. I don't know about bigger and stronger. I'll give them "taller". well see about "stronger".

Posted by: oo7 | May 1, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I like LeBron a little more now. =) He is the king of NBA.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 1, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Lebron is from Ohio...and Ohio is close to Pittsburgh..

Burn the jersey

Posted by: SA-Town | May 1, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Since the pronunciation has been mentioned again...

The way the names are pronounced would have really been the most correct way to spell them in English. The rules of transliteration from Cyrillic into different languages are specifically for that. To spell the names in the target language exactly how they're pronounced in Russian (or as close as possible) so that there would be less confusion.

As I've mentioned before the most correct way to spell Varly's name would be Semyon Varlamov and the most correct way to spell Semin's name would be Aleksandr Syomin.

Sasha is not really a nickname. It's just diminutive of Aleksandr, which is like Alex to Alexander in English. Syoma, which is what Ovie calls him, is a nickname derived from the proper pronunciation of his last name, Syomin.

Posted by: ranndino | May 1, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

ok, so I predicted after the Ranger's series game 1 that the Caps would win in 6. They won in 7. So I was off a game.

But here's a big factor that hardly anyone is talking about: Pens only scored 1 more goal than us if you only take into account 6 games in the first round. And let's face it, Lundqvist is way better that Biron AND the Rangers' D is way tighter than Flyers'. That just shows how better we are offensevily.

Posted by: Andoy | May 1, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

56 Goals is sick and one of the reasons why the Great 8 is MVP. Oooooh Goal Shakers! The Caps! Lets Go Capitals!

Posted by: mjwies11 | May 1, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

The reporters should be making a beeline for Matt Bradley! MVP of Round 1, very quotable, fan favorite...what else could one ask for?

Posted by: CapsChick | May 1, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino - I totally agree on the rules of transliteration. Wonder how many other Russian hockey players' names get mangled by bad transliteration? We can't have the only two, although "Semin" seems an egregious transliteration error if the surname is actually supposed to be pronounced Syomin. Especially given the penchant of opposing teams' fans for deliberate misprounciation of the name based on what it's spelled like... :-p That's GOT to get old fast...

Posted by: irockthered | May 1, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

CapsChick, Amen! Although he might give the media fits with his ability to deliver absolute BS with a straight face.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 1, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Repost from a thread that's already been buried.

---

@ rachel216

I do feel a little bit sorry for Theo, but there's no place for sentimentality at this level. He was given every chance to succeed as our #1 and then some. He did not take it.

Varly sat patiently and waited. I actually felt more sorry for him because I knew that he was a much better goalie and sorry for us because we kept trying to use a square wheel instead of a round one (that was in our trunk) the entire season.

Now we have a round wheel and are much better for it, so overall I don't really feel sorry. It's a tough business. You have to perform when given the chance.

Varly will be tested a lot more vs. Pittsburgh, but I believe he will do well based on the same reasons I've wanted us to make him our #1 all year. He was tested a lot more in the RSL playoffs last year than he was by the Rangers in round 1 and performed extremely well.

Maybe in the off season I'll post some of his game for Loko in the RSL playoffs if anyone is interested in seeing them. That way you would be able to see why I had so much confidence in him as well as judge the level of the Russian league for yourself.

Posted by: ranndino | May 1, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino,irockthered

"Syoma" and "Senya" (how Varly's father calls him) are diminutives of "Semyon" (which btw comes from Jewish Shimon). So you may say that Syomin and Semyon are almost brothers...hehehe...

Posted by: fnralch | May 1, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@ irockthered

Semin's agent was just not as smart as Varly's because Varly's first name is often transliterated as Semen in English. His agent knew that this would make his life more difficult than it needs to be so changed it to Simeon, which is not a transliteration at all, but rather the English equivalent like Constantine for Konstantin, for example.

Semin's last name was not transliterated erroneously really. There's just 2 ways to transliterate the Russian letter "ё" (e with an umlaut or 2 dots on top). In Russian the umlaut is often dropped because everyone knows what it's supposed to be and pronounces it correctly as a "yo" sound anyway, so often when people transliterate they do it as if there's no umlaut. That's what happened in Sёmin's case. However, since English speaking have no idea that it's supposed to be an "ё" (thus a "yo" sound) it gets mispronounced. That's why in my opinion it's much better to transliterate it as "yo", so Syomin.

Btw, there's another Russian on our team that has a "ё" in his last name Fёdorov, so if the same rule was applied to him his last name would be spelled Fyodorov in English. You can often see the variance in transliteration. For example, the great Russian author Dostoyevksy's first name is spelled Fedor in some place and Fyodor in others. It's the same exact name and that's where Fedorov's last name derives from.

Hope that helps.

Posted by: ranndino | May 1, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

ranndino- for those trying to follow along, spell Semin's correct pronunciation phonetically, please. thanks.

Posted by: oo7 | May 1, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

nevermind, we cross-posted.
: )

Posted by: oo7 | May 1, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Urrghh... with all this explanation of proper spellings I managed to mistype Dostoevsky's last name in my example :)

Posted by: ranndino | May 1, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Interesting Stat

Caps are 6-1 in game 1 vs Pitt and 1-6 in all time series...

I dont care about history...Got to win tomorrow..

Posted by: SA-Town | May 1, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Varlamov translates to Cold blooded m'fer in Yiddish.

Posted by: JSchon | May 1, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino:

...so I guess that means that Steckel in Russian would be pronounced/spelled Styockyol??????? LOL...sorry ...I had to

XD

Posted by: Rhino40 | May 1, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Man, y'all are on fire today.

ranndino, in all seriousness, appreciate the transliteration explanation. Legitimately interesting.

Interested to know as well which of the regular denizens are from Russia, either originally or now, in their postings. opita?

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | May 1, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't know much about Russian (although that is where my last name comes from), but I do know this language.

e way, etter bay, in way, ame gay, on yea(1)! LMAO! Ok so I don't know it!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | May 1, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Rhino40:
you can't leave out - Mikyo Gryoyon :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 1, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

While we're on the topic of transliteration and the like, I recall the day Varly was drafted seeing his name spelled Semen Varlamov and thinking at the time that someone really screwed up. Why is no one helping him get his name spelled in a way that's a correct phoenetic match to the Russsian pronounciation AND that can't be mistaken as that most important of biological fluids? And how did we end up with two of these bad transliterations on the same team?

Posted by: dkw9s | May 1, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Finally home for the evening. What a week.

The circus came to town? Dude, the circus has been here since Wednesday morning. I was sorely tempted to Photoshop a clown nose and shoes onto a picture of Gary Bettman and hair and a hat onto Don Cherry, but refrained on the grounds that it's probably already been done.

Posted by: kittypawz | May 1, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

just browsed the pens blog and the kiddies are all excited about the game tomorrow. pulling out their jagr jerseys and the powder blues. looks like they are going to try and congregate over on the portrait gallery steps for a group photo (apparantely some did this after the game here when they won in the shootout). this is indeed exciting for them as it will probably be the closest they get to an actual museum (abandonded steel mills dont count as museums). i suggest caps fans, particularly those of larger carriage, take up some residence on those steps to get in on the fun. see you there.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 1, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

"I'd run over to Stecks!!"

Maybe they're afraid he'll Steckel the Sennheiser?

Posted by: ouvan59 | May 1, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, you have to do a BIG special on Steckel just because OV said that.

Posted by: washingtonpost31 | May 1, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

BB said that about Stecks.

But I wouldn't mind knowing a bit mroe about him. I'm very curious as the why he apparently spurred the Kings, who drafted him in the first round, to play 4 years of college hcokey and then sign with Washington as a FA. Plus, he's got to be the most underrated PKer and faceoff machine in the whole NHL.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 1, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Why do you think the Pens fans hate Ovechkin as much as they do? Do we really hate Malkin and Crosby to the point that we want them to be injured or worse? The hatred is pretty rampant on their boards and it is pretty disturbing. It is also obvious that they know nothing about Ovechkin.

Posted by: Richmondcapsfan | May 1, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I actually like Malkin and as for Crosby, I wouldn't say i hate him but do dislike him because of the diving, complaning etc. he's done in the past. I definitely respect them both for their skills.

Having said that, I will make fun of both at will.

I can understand the higher level of dislike for Ovechkin for non-Caps fans. He's more flamboyent when he scores, plays mind games (watching Rags practice), provides more controversial quotes and actually hits their players everytime he gets a chance.

And it's because of these exact reason we love him so much. He's like the guy you would love to have on your team but really dislike if he's not on your team.

Posted by: Moose33 | May 1, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Richmondcapsfan: I think they are either jealous that they don't Ovechkin, or they hate him because he bullies their babies Malkin and Crosby.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 1, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Playoffs have created a bunch of richmond posters to sign up. I like.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 1, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Maybe for those reasons you stated Moose33, but I think non Caps fans who dislike Ovie are just jealous and wishes he were on their team. If Ovie was on the Pens, the Pens fans would love him.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 1, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

to everyone posting bout the right or wrong translation from russian to english: dozzit really matta? i say tomato you say tamato.we need to be worried bout the way they play,and not what we say.im sure once they win the cup nobody will care what were calling them,but just call 'em winners cause thats what they all are. GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | May 1, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

on ESPN.com the front page is Malkin, OV, and Sidney. Hockey on the front page of espn, I never thought I'd see that. Can't blame them though.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 1, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I shut up all the rangers fans who would yell "Ovie sucks" by simply saying "You would take him in a heartbeat". People love him, they love watching him play, but he's not on their team so he plays mind games and make their players look like amateurs.

Don't really dislike Malkin, but Crosby talks/whines/cries far too often for me to even consider respecting him.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 1, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

@RedBirdie
Actually, Stecks did spend one year in the LA organization, playing for the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL in 2004-05. I assume maybe the Kings waived him after that. Boudreau was Manchester's coach that year. Boudreau was fired by Manchester at the end of that season and hired by the Caps/Bears in the summer of 2005. Later that summer Steckel was signed by the Caps as a free agent. I'm guessing maybe Bruce was instrumental in getting the Caps to take a look at Stecks since he was familiar with him from Manchester. Funny how Stecks has been with Bruce from Manchester to Hershey to Washington.

Posted by: tess2201 | May 1, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, try being from the same province. They hear you lived in NS and they assume you and Crosby were BFFs. I swear, some people are so disappointed in the geographic and temporal complexities that kept me from knowing him as a kid.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 1, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

mrszilla: Same. Both are great players. I don't dislike Evgeni Malkin. I only dislike Sidney Crosby because he cries and whines too much, and because he is Ovie's rival. Also, because he says he hates when "Ovie runs around" and when Ovie hits him, but he goes and punches guys during faceoffs.

Tomorrow will be very interesting, can't wait!

Posted by: rachel216 | May 1, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

El-Brash is on Comcast (Wash Post Live) appearing to give the edge to the Penguins...

SAY IT AIN'T SO!!

Posted by: Caps16Fan | May 1, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla

Isn't that so true? I felt the same way about Mario. Great talent etc but I just couldn't respect him because every off season he would go meet with Bettman and tell him how bad the league sucked and he had to change this and that blah blah blah. Then every time he's on the ice and gets touched he skates with his arms up in the air looking back at a ref like "how can you not call that". It's tough to repect behavior like that compared to OV who never complains about anything and just goes 100% all the time no matter what anybody does to him. That's the thing I love about OV the most.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | May 1, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone interpret this?

What does it say? Who do they favor? Most of the ime, these betting things are more accurate predicting than any seasoned analysyt.

Posted by: Andoy | May 1, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered

the rangers fans did not fail to note the alternative transliteration for Semin's name.

Yes, LeBron's a class act.

c-a-p-s caps caps caps

I'm changing my mind about the Crosby sucks thing. It's not harmful, it's funny. #87 is a great player and he will put the dagger in our hearts a few times this series, but long as the Caps move on to the semis, that's all part of the game.

This will be one of the all time great
series a helluva a lot better than anything we can expect in the semis or the finals. So enjoy it everybody!

Posted by: WritingLight | May 1, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

LeBron singed King James?!
that's quite an ego...

Posted by: guer_j | May 1, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 1, 2009 5:44 PM

@JMU: I feel your pain--for people to ask that of you it borders on crass insensitivity...kind of like asking a random person if they know Oprah just because they're African-American or if they know Joe Lieberman because they're Jewish.

Posted by: Rhino40 | May 1, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Read Theo comments on older articles but I wanted to comment here so it'd be seen hopefully.

Onto it - I've been thinking alot about goalies lately. Besides floating in air that Varly is playing as I've been watching him for awhile... watching the Sharks/Ducks series, I used to love Nabokov & think he was a goalie god. But his style is so similar to Theodore it's kind of scary, well I was scared for us in playoffs. Gabbie's smarts & Varly being up to challenge was a god send. Theo & Nabby are both small, over commit usually to butterfly too quick. Sharks are amazing in front of Nabby reg season. Theo doesn't fit here I think. He seems like an awesome guy but needs a defense heavy team. Theo & Nabby's creases are crowded non-stop at times including their own teamates. They say Varly can't speak english, either he can or they are finding a way to communicate. We still have someone parked there on the PK but there's a huge difference, watch tomorrow if Varly can't see he'll give his team mate a little shove to move in direction he wants. He wants to see, it's most of his game. The few times he's screwed up & over committed & someone forgot translate the scouting for Drury. His 'miracle' goals (sorry live in Buffalo & had season seats while he was here). I know we're talking milliseconds but I believe he would have had it with more experience/knowledge. I have alot of faith in this guy. He's no Price ya know? He's the real deal. Feel bad about Theo's fate but I would love to see him & Johnson tandem next year.

Posted by: hannah8 | May 1, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

But LeBron is King. In the NBA. Best player, I think NBA people say even better than Kobe. (He called him "Alex the Great" so I can live with LeBron calling himself King James. =)

Posted by: rachel216 | May 1, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

@Tess, thank you. I had forgotten he played in Manchester. The Kings losses of Bruce and Steckel is the Capitals' gain!

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 1, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil
I have read this site almost everyday for a couple of years now but do not post much. Grew up in Reston loving the Caps and have taken my son to games since he was 4 (he is now 17). We went to the SC finals when he was 6 and it would be fun to go again. I thnk this is the most intelligent place to keep up with the team.

Posted by: Richmondcapsfan | May 1, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

hannah8:

I think you are dead on why Theo does not fit here (he needs a defense heavy team). Our team, itself, is inconsistent and not defensive-minded, which probably made him more anxious and inconsistent.

It sounds like you have seen Varly play quite a bit and have a terrific grasp of goaltending. How do you think Varly will fare against the Pens and other offensive teams? Does he get better the tougher the challenge is or could he become overwhelmed and nervous?

Posted by: caraveli | May 1, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

"signed, King James". I'm pretty sure you have to WIN something before you're king of anything. Ovie should burn that jersey and rock a signed Caron "Tough Juice" Butler!!!

As for the Caps, I hope they win in overtime of game 6, scoring off a Sergei Gonchar turnover!

Posted by: goskins1982 | May 1, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

:::caraveli::: Total confession - I knew about Varly cuz I used to only love Russian players.

Back to goalie talk. I want to believe Varly will stay as zen as he has & the play in front of him keeps supporting him(wipe gm 6 from minds) is key too esp going into such a high strung series with a team that can actually score, that combined with how the team has bonded w/him & plays for him. I honestly thought we'd have the Rangers in 5 or 6 at most. We need to realize nobody is super human too & stay focused as a team AND as fans - that neutral zone trap may not be fun but do it if you gotta. As an NHL rookie I do have the worry that can he play all these 7 games series? Look at whos coming if we advance, teams that can score. Can Theo be scratched for for Neuvirth? Would they do that? I know he's part of the future but is that now? No one thought it was Varlys time yet. Super Liga has a short season and they rotate 3 goalies (he left before KU). But he shows no signs of fatigue yet. I'd be nervous if Neuvirth has to step in but I happen to think he's a solid option just hes YOUNG. Caps know they are getting it done playing high speed, multi-passing, rough hitting hockey (who laughed themselves silly when Rags tried dump & chase?) - not tight defensive style. problem with this. This does not suite a Theo or Nabby stylewise. I don't follow basketball but how many short players do they have, let alone the style drawbacks & meshing with team. So unless Varly is dead tired & they can't scratch and call up - I don't expect to see Theo honestly. Gabby is a players coach & personally would have given Theo another shot probably but he learned ALOT last year, they want to win & are alot more realistic about what that will take this year. And the style Caps play a goalie like Varly is essential. From what I've seen - I expect NHL learning curve wise that last game at the Garden he learned alot. He's not a goalie that gives up those goals & it will be a rare game to see that. Our team will have to be giving him zero support or somehow the Pens will find a way to crash the crease & get those dirty chippy goals. But again thats not Varly - thats the team breaking down. So... I think we have a true competitor & someone who can work with this team. Time will tell if it's now or still future. Back to my Russian player obsession, maybe the Russian training gives hime something extra? I was happy as could be ov had his Russian guy in DC this week. No knock on Caps staff at all. I'm posting a 2nd one for current NHL goalie playoff stats.... This post is way too long to talk about the rest of goalies in so I'll let the stats that don't always tell the story as we know in a 2nd post.

Posted by: hannah8 | May 1, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

So far this is current playoff stats (?) from NHL, granted think about who each team played last round too:
#1 Simeon Varlamov WSH GP 6 SA 145 GA 7 GAA 1.17 W 4 L 2 Sv % .952 SO 2
#2 Roberto Luongo VAN GP 5 SA 162 GA 8 GAA 1.50 W 5 L 0 SA% .951 SO 1
#3 Tim Thomas BOS GP 4 SA 111 GA 6 GAA 1.50 W 4 L 0 SV% .946 SO 0
#4 Jonas Hiller ANA GP 6 SA 230 GA 10 GAA 1.64 W 4 L 2 SV 220 SV% .957 SO 2
#5 Chris Osgood DET GP 4 SA 110 GA 7 GAA 1.75 W 4 L 0 SV 103 SV% .936 SO 1
#6 Cam Ward CAR GP 7 SA 242 GA 15 GAA 2.11 W 4 L 3 SV 227 SV% .938 SO 1
Then we have Fleury down here:
#9 Marc-Andre Fleury PIT GP 6 SA 193 GA 15 GAA 2.39 W 4 L 2 SV 178 SV% .922 SO 0

So stats do stand for something but there is ALOT more. Overall Varly is what this Caps team needs and we need a tandem next year and Theo needs to bow out to a defensive minded team...

Posted by: hannah8 | May 1, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse