Ovechkin Gets Key To Washington

Sorry for not blogging about yesterday's ceremony for A.O. in downtown until now. Anyway, be sure to check out my brief write-up here. There's also a really nice video of the ceremony.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 14, 2008; 8:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A.O. Snags Hart, Pearson; Boudreau Wins Adams
Next: McPhee: 'We'll match'

Comments

Does he really have the key to everything? Maybe he can get me out, next time I get trown in jail! GO OV!
P.S. Gimmie your cell # if your reading this O.V.

Posted by: Marion Barry | June 14, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Now the the awards are out of the way - let's get on with UFA's & RFA's signings and trades!!!

Who's staying, going & coming?????

Posted by: Nils | June 14, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Now that the awards are out of the way - lets get on with UFA's & RFA's signings, trades and draft!!!

Who's staying, going & coming?????

(Grammar corrected)

Posted by: Nils | June 14, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Very cool (except for the weather) ceremony. Nice to see the Caps get some recognition, and hopefully it's just a harbinger of things to come. Too bad I take the metro to and from work, as I didn't have the opportunity to take advantage of the "no speed limit" decree.

Posted by: Goat | June 14, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I thought there was supposed an anouncement regarding one of our UFAs at the party.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 14, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

That is a cool ceremony. Does anybody know what has happened to On Frozen Blog?

Posted by: uncatim | June 14, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Given the lack of quality goaltending depth in this summer's market the Capitals may have no choice but to pay Huet's asking price, as Emery would not be an upgrade while Theodore would be a risky acquisition.

Posted by: SPECTOR'S NOTE: | June 14, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

It was fun to see the trophies at KCI yesterday (though they were an hour and a half behind schedule bringing them out...), but I wish I could have made it to DC also!

In happy Caps fan news, I was wearing my Huet shirt at the Virginia Beach oceanfront today when a carload of excitable Caps fans blew their horn and screamed "GO CAAAAAAAaaaappssss" as they went flying past. Way down in Virginia Beach, even!

Posted by: Jordan | June 14, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Jordan,

That was probably Mauree.

Posted by: Steve R | June 14, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Yea, Mauree and I are the ONLY Caps fans in Hampton Roads.

Posted by: fullright | June 14, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Well in any case, it sure got my day off to a positive start!

Posted by: Jordan | June 14, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Jordan,
If you're still in Va Beach, be sure to stop by Birdie's!

Posted by: fullright | June 14, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

...shameless plug from a small business owner.

Posted by: fullright | June 14, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Uncatim---I lost On Frozen Blog too, with a "403 forbidden" error. You're not alone. I try to keep up with the Caps via the web from way out in the wilds of Ohio. I stop by Tarik El-Bashir's postings, Dump 'n' Chase, and OFB. I have no idea what the issue is, but I hope it's solved soon.

Sorry about the slightly off-topic post. Wish I could've been at the key ceremony. Also wish I could lace 'em up at the Kettler and browse the pro shop! So jealous...

Posted by: DL | June 14, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey OFB guys,
I still can't get on your site either.
It says forbidden. Just wanted to let you know. I want to see those pics from Fri. night!

Posted by: on ice | June 14, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey there fellow Hampton-roaders :)

Next season we should go to some games :D

Posted by: mauree | June 15, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

OFB is having server problems, they are working on it.

Posted by: fashi13 | June 15, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

mauree

I'm all for it, I usually make it up there for at least one game (vs. Calgary this past season). I've got a nice hook-up thru a friend, he can get four sec 109 row C seats, or sometimes the luxury box!

BTW, pick-up in Chesapeake at 8:40 tonite...goin to get an edge put on my skates right now!

Posted by: fullright | June 15, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

happy fathers day daddy ovechkin

Posted by: sidney | June 15, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Interesting article on RFA and who may get what

Posted by: Rich C | June 15, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

We are back:

Changes are coming. Summer of Change: The Sequel.

Oh, and HostGator is the devil.

Posted by: On Frozen Blog | June 15, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=10453
Interesting article on RFA and who may get what"

Tarik - do you (or anyone else on this blog) know why the Caps don't use arbitration to keep Green from becoming an RFA and getting offer sheets, just like Pittsburgh has done with Fleury? Apparently submitting to arbitration takes him out of the RFA pool.

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | June 15, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

@DevilsCapsGal,

I think arbitration is only a one year fix, and you can only take a player to arbitration once.

Posted by: Steve R | June 15, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

@Steve R:

Thanks! I figured there must be some reason why it was not being discussed for Green.

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | June 15, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

@devilsCapsGal

Pitsburgh has issues to get under the cap, and we dont. They want to try to keep what they can for another shot at the cup next year. Things could go down for them very soon, and the star power will be less.

We have the money, so wont need to go that route.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 15, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

More photos from the Friday Night party with Ovechkin here:

Posted by: On Frozen Blog | June 15, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I heard Green doesn't qualify for Arbitration because of his age/years in league doesn't meet the requirements...(I think he's too young)...just the romour

Posted by: mike b | June 16, 2008 4:46 AM | Report abuse

I think the no speed limit decree was just for Semin in the Ballston mall garage.

Posted by: old time hockey | June 16, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

@MIke B......I am not sure of the arbitration rules, but Fleury and Green are about the same age....

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

FWIW, according to the CBA, your arbit-eligibility depends on your age (on 9/15) when you signed your first contract. For 18-20 year olds, it's four years of NHL service time.

Posted by: tallbear | June 16, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

The black hole sucking all news into it is a bummer. Any rumors out there? Any guesses how the Caps are drafting? Anything..? Bueller...?

Posted by: Steve R | June 16, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@Steve R

Got your season ticket's yet? You can stare at that receipt...waiting...hoping...maybe go buy some merchandise..

Maybe become part of the "Rock the Red" street team telling all your friends to buy season tickets...

Posted by: Ted | June 16, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Ted,

Yes have my season tickets.

Will not buy any more gear for a while, although might invest in a Fedorov team Russia jersey for red outs (if he is resigned by the Caps).

Posted by: Steve R | June 16, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse