Ovechkin Hoping for Some Hardware

(Ethan Miller - Getty Images)

From Tarik:

It's a good thing Alex Ovechkin is better at scoring goals than he is at playing Texas hold 'em.

The Washington Capitals star finished sixth in the NHL's charity shootout tonight at the Rio, competing on a table fashioned to look like a hockey rink against current and former players and a poker professional. But Ovechkin may redeem himself tomorrow night at the NHL Awards Show, where he can claim something he cherishes far more than a stack of chips: a second Hart Memorial Trophy.

Click here to read the story, and check out some photos of Ovie in Vegas after the jump.

(Ethan Miller - Getty Images)

(Ethan Miller - Getty Images)

(Ryan Remiorz - AP)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  June 17, 2009; 9:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Update on Nylander and Other Items of Interest
Next: Morning Reading List: Another MVP?

Comments

I see Ovi is wearing a shirt with his logo (the Russian helmeted '8' on the sleeves at the poker game.

I also see Ovi dressed in preparing for the vidoe game shoot. Black spandex and even looking like a video game figure.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 17, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

O-vi! O-vi! O-vi! Hopefully tomorrow he walks away with a lot more hardware ... he deserves it. And while Green is not a lock, it would be great if he won, too. FINALLY something to look forward to!! :-D

MReilly9:
Thanks for the Boudreau article - that was good stuff!

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 17, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Let's GOO Ovi and Greenie! Good luck tomorrow, you two. And it's okay if you accidentally bump Crosby's head with the bottoms of your trophies. It is a dark, crowded room anyways. And besides, Mario probably will have Crosby's pacifier handy in case he starts whining. Try not to laugh at him either. It's not easy being that pretty. *snicker*

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 18, 2009 1:41 AM | Report abuse

GO OVIE!!!! AND MIKE!!!! =)

Posted by: rachel216 | June 18, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Good Luck tonight guys! No matter what happens at least we know Ovie truly deserves the Hart, but the NHL is very pro-pens as of late. Go Caps!

Posted by: NatyBG | June 18, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

The pundits seem to be leaning towards Ovi - let's hope they are right! BTW, I tried to post a bunch of articles for everyone (there are a lot out there today) but my post was held for approval. :-( Poke around google and you'll find all sorts of reading material.

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

It will be Ovi's, hands down.

I doubt that the votes for Pavel and Geno combined would even be enough to prevent him from winning. Ocho deserves the hardware.

Now Green, I'm not so sure of. We'll see.

Posted by: PensFan98 | June 18, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: --Boo-- | June 18, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Hey guys, Semin needs your vote for his dig on Crysby

Posted by: majiksea | June 18, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 18, 2009 1:41 AM | Report abuse

You mean, other than the 3 1/2 foot tall one he won Friday night?

Posted by: Section117 | June 18, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

@majidsea: Thanks for the link to the Semin comment. I voted for him. Looks like Avery is ahead with his "sloppy seconds" comment.

Go Ovie and Green!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | June 18, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Ovie's eyes have that I-haven't-slept-in-ages redness. He needs a nice long nap before the ceremony.

Posted by: pstenigma | June 18, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I thought the clothing line logo was an AO, right?

Posted by: jbfromfc | June 18, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I thought the clothing line logo was an AO, right?

Posted by: jbfromfc

++++++++++++++

It is both. The stylized helmet (which proclaims Ovie's Russo-centrism) doubles as an AO. A lucky coincidence used by a designer with a good eye.

Posted by: pstenigma | June 18, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I can't determine what's uglier. NOvie? Greasy Leonsis on a swealtering miserable Washington summer day? Or the hockey newbies on this board? All of the above!

Good luck moving on, Tarik. You deserve better than to be covering consolation prizes about hockey's perennial doormats in hillbilly hell.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | June 18, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@Section117: Oops, my bad. I thought the entire team won the Stanley Cup. Coulda' fooled me. I coulda' sworn there were more guys on the ice besides Crosby when they played the Redwings. *shrug*

Yeah, he didn't win the Cup by himself, in case Bettman paid you too, to make it sound like Crosby is the only reason why they won.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 18, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@Jumpy66: I suppose that helps you in the morning to feel good about yourself. Because other than that, I imagine there's nothing else going for you.

We do our best not to point and laugh at you. But you make it oh so hard not to. Get over your hate for our team or we'll take away your only copy of Crosby's GQ layout! Now, begone, troll.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 18, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Tonight is nothing but consolation prizes.

Posted by: Goat_74 | June 18, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 18, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

You know what's funny?

CI posters wanted Crosby in the playoffs.

CI posters have been complaining since Crosby's team beat AO's team.

And now on days where there is no Pens-related content, CI posters stir up a reason to throw Crosby out there to serve some sort of delusional grudge.

If CI posters could get through a non-Pens related hockey post without mentioning Crosby for the next 10 days, I'd be amazed.

Posted by: Section117 | June 18, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

... as well as an excuse to party in Vegas, like anybody REALLY needs an excuse.

I mean, the smiles and good feelings are all well and good, and I hope everybody has a bang-up time. I guess I'm just not all that jacked about tonight's festivities.

Posted by: Goat_74 | June 18, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Tonight is nothing but consolation prizes.

Posted by: Goat_74

+++++++++++

That's a sour way of viewing the NHL awards. If they were consolation prizes then all categories would be voted on AFTER the SC finals.

Posted by: pstenigma | June 18, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Pretty much agree w/goat that they are consolation prizes ... the real prize is the Cup.

Same in all other sports ... the World Series trophy is vastly more important than the Cy Young award. The Lombardi trophy is much larger than the MVP or Dick Butkus award, etc.

Individual honors are nice, but they're small potatoes compared to team championships.

Posted by: PensFan98 | June 18, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

You are comparing apples and oranges. The SC is for group achievement. The NHL awards are for individual achievement. A consolation prize would be if the SC runner-up, or every team in the palyoffs, was given a smaller trophy - like the atrocious practice of giving every child who didn't come in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd a medal.

Posted by: pstenigma | June 18, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Ovi went all-in 3 times because he wanted to get out on the town with his buddies.

Tired or not, I'm sure red bull and vodka lubricates Russian machines quite well.

Posted by: austinsteve | June 18, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: austinsteve | June 18, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

My friend, that would be a universal lubricant.

Posted by: Section117 | June 18, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse