Ovechkin Is In The House (Updated)

The reigning league MVP is on the ice at Kettler for this morning's informal skate, which, perhaps not so coincidentally, is being conducted at a much higher tempo than previous sessions.

The bottom of his skates, by the way, are red and blue. With the yellow laces, there's a lot going on there. (He said the skates are the same ones he wore at Worlds and that they'll be retired once his new skates arrive.)

Update:After watching Ovechkin for about 45 minutes, it was obvious that he worked hard on his conditioning over the summer. After talking to him, I got the impression that he worked on his English a bit, too.

He got pulled in a few directions after coming off the ice, but I managed to get in a couple of questions. Here's some of what he had to say:

About his conditioning, he said: "I worked hard. Everything is the same as last year, but with some new stuff. I worked with [prospect Viktor Dovgan, who comes today. I feel pretty good."

About the heightened expectations surrounding this team after last season's run, he said: "Last year when training camp started, everyone thought we were going to be a good team. But when the season start we were in last place. Right now I don't want to say that we're going to win the Stanley Cup. I'm just pretty excited and can't wait for the season to start."

"We know we have a good team," he added. "But we have to play better than last year to be better. We have to keep going, like the last month of last year. It's going to be a good year."

About his own expectations after netting 65 goals, he said: "I just want to win. Personal stats, of course it's important, but team is more important than personal stuff."

As for an ETA on his buddy Alexander Semin, he cracked: "Still in Russia. You can call him right now and ask him" when he's coming.

On another subject, the rookies will have the option of taking an informal skate from 1-3 tomorrow at Kettler, and yes, it's free and open to the public. The vets, meantime, do not appear to have ice time scheduled.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 12, 2008; 10:39 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New Arrivals, Jersey Numbers (Updated)
Next: Backstrom Sprains Ankle

Comments

fantasticcccccccccccc

Posted by: caps go | September 12, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Now it feels like hockey season is upon us.

Posted by: Caps 423 | September 12, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Go Ovechkin! Go go Ovechkin!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Well that sucks. I was thinking of stopping by kettler and then changed my mind.

Posted by: O-V-P | September 12, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

how does he look? is he skating with backstrom? how does nylander look?

Posted by: rajeev | September 12, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Red and blue? Pics? Better description?

Posted by: JC | September 12, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Tarik, have the Caps posted a roster of who is going to be at the rookie camp? If so could you please post it. Thanks.

Posted by: Richard | September 12, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

OV! OV! OV! OV! OV! OV! OV!

Posted by: OBE4KNH | September 12, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Welcome Home, Ovie!

Posted by: IrresistibleForce | September 12, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Awesome! What do you mean red and blue on the bottom? The runners which hold the blades or the skate boots themselves? Thanks Tarik. I'm sure there will be more updates.

Posted by: JC | September 12, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

There is no doubt in my mind, that kid is color blind.

Anyone remember the Calvin and Hobbes strip, where Calvin's clothes jumped him and he came downstairs and his mom freaked out?

Thats Ov.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

@rajeev

TEB told me that lil'nicky went hard into the boards yesterday and was helped off of the ice... he isnt on the ice today...

not serious but yikes...

Posted by: JSchon | September 12, 2008 10:56 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

@jschon,

Wow i hope he is fine. I would hate for lil nicky to have a sophomore slump, that would diminish our chances

Posted by: O-V-P | September 12, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

When I walked into Kettler... I saw this very russian looking guy... I mean Polit Bureau stuff here...

It was OV's pop... He's watching his kid...

Posted by: JSchon | September 12, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

As far as the red and blue, he's probably referring to the Tuuk (blade holder). You can get custom color Tuuks put on any pair of skates. Gretzky used to wear blue Tuuks on his skates.

Posted by: BearsWoooo | September 12, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

What's the significance of Ovie's yellow laces?

Posted by: Don | September 12, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Awesome. The other guys will raise their game automatically.

Would love to be there to watch him take shots on Jose. Next Saturday!

Posted by: Jill | September 12, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

@Don

My guess is to be different... stand out...

Posted by: JSchon | September 12, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Awesome. Barely a week to go.

Posted by: EricS | September 12, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BearsWoooo | September 12, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

has anyone seen greener yet?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Sorry if this has already been asked:

What time are these guys usually out on the ice?

Posted by: Go Skins Go | September 12, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

has anyone seen greener yet?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 11:30 AM

Veterans Report 9/19, Camp starts 9/20.

Posted by: Section 117 | September 12, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Makes me so happy. It's just around the corner.

Cup run anyone?

Posted by: Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) | September 12, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

8 is plenty enuf, baby!!!!!!

Posted by: 8 is enuf | September 12, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

@jschon

Backstrom took a puck off the ankle yesterday, I was told by the Caps. I saw him have great difficulty navigating the office stairs on his way to a photo shoot, and his right ankle was tightly wrapped, but the Caps don't believe it's serious.

Posted by: pucksandbooks | September 12, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh My!!! Now it even more serious that Semin is missing! Can everyone please have angst about Semin again today! Oh My, Oh My, the sky is surely falling!

Posted by: Bob | September 12, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I just saw GMGM... he was in dark robe with a burlap sash... actually tan suit and powder blue button up...

Posted by: JSchon | September 12, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

OFB posted a link to the caps TV schedule. We get some HD away games, but there are two games that won't be televised oddly enough. Both are home games.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 12, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I saw GREEN in Bob's Big Boy in Cherokee, North Carolina. He was eating a Lumberjack with Rod Brind'Amour. Looks like Greenie might be playing for the 'Canes next year...

Posted by: Stalker | September 12, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Great update, Tarik - thanks! (And thanks for the ETA on Semin). ;-)

Posted by: Jill | September 12, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@ Sombrero Guy - Ted is working on it. http://www.tedstake.com/?p=2754

Posted by: Jill | September 12, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy, I'm guessing those two "No TV" dates are probably "Versus exclusive" deals and the Caps weren't picked.

Posted by: tallbear | September 12, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

NEW POST

@ Tallbear - yeah thats what Ted indicated in the link Jill posted (thanks for the link Jill)

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 12, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

if you have direct tv, will you still be allowed to watch the caps games (I live in DC, and plan on gettig center ice.)

Posted by: capsfan08 | September 12, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I was at KCI from 10:30 til 11:30, and aside from Papa OV, I was the only one there for most of that time. Those informal practices are the most fun to watch. I might head over there for the rookie skate tomorrow. Anyone up for it?

Posted by: Jon | September 12, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

P.S. - It sure was good to see Captain Clark on the ice again!

Posted by: Jon | September 12, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Jon..have you seen Green?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

can someone answer the direct tv question above? Im having a nervous breakdown over it.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

As long as direct TV has Comcast Sports Net on its channel lineup then you will be able to see most of the games.

Posted by: Graig | September 12, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Yes, DirecTV carries both CSN and Versus.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Ov doesn't wear Tuuks! Tuuks is a brand name of a blade holder. CCM has their own blade holders.

Posted by: TaxMan | September 12, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

thanks. My friend told me it didnt. I almost freaked out. Thanks a lot!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

The holders are white, then red and blue. It's Russian flag

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse