Ovechkin: 'It just happened'

Dominik Hasek was the last player to win back-to-back MVP awards, claiming the Hart Trophy in 1997 and 1998 as a member of the Buffalo Sabres. He's about to have company, it seems.

Alex Ovechkin probably had already wrapped up his second straight MVP before last night's goal. But now there doesn't seem to be much of an argument over who deserves it this season.

Ovechkin is leading the league in goals with 42 -- that's eight more than Jeff Carter and Zach Parise. He's leading the league in third period goals with 20. And he's tied with Patrick Marleau for the league lead in game winners with nine.

He's also leading his peers in searches on YouTube and Google.

"It would pretty hard to go against him," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "We have some good players surrounding him. But more importantly, if you look at what he's done in the third period and the winning goals and at crunch time. That's when you need your guys the most. And he's there all the time."

"I hope he gets two [MVP's] in a row," he added. "Then we'll work on the Conn Smythe."

One day after Ovechkin's most recent YouTube moment, most of the talk at practice today was about how the goal unfolded.

"It was a pretty good goal," Boudreau said. "The falling, the deking and getting the puck in from the seat of your pants, you've seen a lot. But it was the backhand pass in the neutral zone and then staying at full speed that was quite remarkable."

Boudreau also credited the Caps' line change with helping set up the goal. It was a good change for Washington and sloppy one for the Habs, who also made the mistake of putting out their fourth unit.

"It was a great line change by us," Boudreau said. "We constantly harp on when you change you come off hard and you go on hard. If he hadn't of gone on hard, he wouldn't have been able to touch it on his backhand."

Boudreau almost felt sorry for Montreal defenseman Roman Hamrlik, saying: "I don't know what he was thinking. Who expects that? Maybe he's never seen that move in the 15 years he's been in the NHL."

Ovechkin said he didn't watch the replay again until this morning.

"I fell, then when I slide over I just shoot the puck, that was probably the hardest moment for me to score," he said. "It just happened. Sometimes you have 100-percent chances to score goal and it doesn't go in. And sometimes you have 20-percent chance to score goal and it doesn't go in. You never know when the puck goes in."

My favorite part of the goal was Ovechkin's showmanship, when he cupped his glove to his ear and asked for another round of applause from the Verizon Center faithful. Boudreau, though, wasn't too happy about that.

"I had to turn away," Boudreau said. "He's been doing that his whole career. Obviously from a conservative standpoint, we would like to see him do that less. But I don't want to take anything away that makes him him."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 19, 2009; 12:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McPhee: Ovechkin will be 'fine'
Next: Theodore looking forward to facing Avs

Comments

I hope that is not premature accordation.

Posted by: uncatim | February 19, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

EmVeePeee!

Posted by: ThisGuy | February 19, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

my fiance HATES ovechkin's goal celebrations.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 19, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Phil - dump her!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 19, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

All due respect to BB, I'd rather see the Conn Smythe rather than another regular season award.

Posted by: Section117 | February 19, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

From previous thread:

@GregAnnapolis: The litter box remark is actually directed at me. He's been trying to get a rise out of me for a while with that little bit of silliness.

Unfortunately, I was in a meeting when all this went down, so I missed it. I just ignore windjammer at this point, and I recommend that everyone else do the same. For a while, I was undecided as to whether he was a pimple-faced kid who was hopelessly socially inept or an outright troll, and gave him the benefit of the doubt. However, he's been told many times by many people on his blog that his repeated postings are annoying and unwelcome, and yet he persists as if it has been welcomed with open arms. Nobody is that stupid, so I have to conclude that he's trolling.

Windjammer, this is the last thing I am going to say to you. You are not funny. You are not cute. You are not entertaining or informative. What you are is a childish and offensive idiot. Knock it off, permanently, before I write to the Post to have you banned.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 19, 2009 1:25 PM

Posted by: kittypawz | February 19, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

One of the biggest complaints from Canada about AO is his being a ham. I'm sorry. All these guys are entertainers. In baseball, the guy comes out of the dugout and waves his hat. Guys on the sidelines trying to amp up the crowd during a football game. I see no real difference here.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 19, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

@Phil: Why?

The thing with Ovi putting his glove to his ear was awesome. He's a showman as much as he is a fantastic hockey player, and that combination is one in a million. We are so lucky to have him.

I showed my coworkers that this morning, and one of them plays rec league hockey. His reaction: "I've got to try that."

Posted by: kittypawz | February 19, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Rick Santelli is to the CBOT world as Ovie is to hockey.

21- game salute!

Getting closer...

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

ATTENTION ADMINS: I am still seeking for windjammersouth to be banned for being rude, offensive, and spamming -- or I respectfully request that a "Block User" or "Ignore User" function be added to the blog software. I and others have tried giving him the benefit of the doubt for quite some time, and it's come too far. Enough is enough. I didn't come to Washington Post blogs to be abused and spammed; I came here to converse with Caps fans.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | February 19, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

He should be banned or ask his handlers to put him back in his cage.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 19, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

not the ear thing, but the thing he normally does.
"hands in the air, let me hear it" thing.

she loves backstrom. calm, and cool.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 19, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

His goal celebrations are just one of many reasons why he's the man. He celebrates just as much when a teammate scores. Its this kind of enthusiasm that makes the Caps fun to watch, and fun for the players

Posted by: SombreroGuy | February 19, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I hope we go back to Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kozlov for the next game. We need to see Semin-Fedorov-Fehr for a change.

Posted by: greener1 | February 19, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

ATTENTION ADMINS: Seconding GregAnnapolis' request, and I'll write to whoever I have to.

Also, for you Pens-hatin' people out there: Look where Semin is ....

Posted by: kittypawz | February 19, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

ATTENTION ADMINS: I am still seeking for GregAnnapolis to be banned for being rude, offensive, and spamming -- or I respectfully request that a "Block User" or "Ignore User" function be added to the blog software. I and others have tried giving him the benefit of the doubt for quite some time, and it's come too far. Enough is enough. I didn't come to Washington Post blogs to be abused and spammed; I came here to converse with Caps fans.

If you go back and look at his personal attacks on others and false accusations you would see the pot calling the kettle black.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I think that saying he locked up the MVP is getting a little ahead of ourselves. I hope he knocked on wood after that column.

Also, does anyone know how many delay of game penalties we have gotten this year...we have to be close to come kind of record in that regard. We almost had two when Theodore put one off the very top of the glass late in the game...

Posted by: Buttertown | February 19, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

It's interesting the difference between players in other sports and hockey players. Take football - the celebrations and showmanship are sometimes way over the top. Now in hockey one player shows his personality and the conservative types, and Boudreau is one of them, might feel a little uncomfortable. Any time you show up the other team, that is supposedly being a poor sport. I love it when Ovie does that stuff. If the Habs players were offended, then maybe cut back; otherwise, keep it going. The hand to the ear to hear his own fans isn't nearly in the same league as Theo Fleury I think it was sliding across the ice after a goal. And it doesn't begin to compare to a "sack dance" in football or the college basketball player acting like he just saved the world when all he did was hit one, simple field goal.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 19, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Ovi's celebrations are part of what makes him Ovi! How could anyone not love that?!? I'd say the way that the fans react to it in the VC jus t proves that most others concur. So bring on the ham!!

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 19, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

ATTENTION ADMINS: I am thirding the request regarding windjammersouth. His remarks have gone beyond the pale of offensive of late. Please ban him from posting, based on his IP address. If you don't know how to do that, or if this software is not capable of doing so, please contact me at irockthered {at} gmail {dot} com, and I will be more than happy to help you set up a blog that can!

Posted by: irockthered | February 19, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Re: Ovi and celebrating - That's part of what makes him so much FUN to watch! :-)

Posted by: irockthered | February 19, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Montreal's pickup of Matthew S. was a huge pickup even given his age. I too sense we will be picking up a defenseman to further bolster our chances of bringing home the cup.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

she's not too big on ovechkin anyway.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 19, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

schnieder was a failure in ATL. everyone wanted him gone 5 months ago.

great job by ATL for signing a free agent and getting some picks for it.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 19, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: uncatim | February 19, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil:

You might make it, despite the differences. I myself have managed to make it over 30 years in a similarly "mixed" marriage.

My wife is smart.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 19, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Well Atlanta has been a failure too. He was on the ice for all 3 of there goals and seemed to be pretty steady considering he is new to their org. Latest word is that Eric Cole or Ryan Smith ends up in Washington.

Still think we will end up with Kaberle from Toronto. Just have a hunch.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

It has taken a long time, but I have converted my wife into a fan. She feels sorry for the people my daughter and I make fun of (Crosby), but it's just funny!

Posted by: Leeguru | February 19, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Look guys, I don't think there's a way to get anyone banned, unless it's continuous spam, which I think Windjammer is borderline on. The best thing to do is to ignore his posts and not give him any satisfaction by responding. If he does it long enough I'm sure admins will take notice and something will be done. This is not a matter that we can take into our own hands. Ignore his posts, and talk Caps hockey. I know it gets old but as you can see, asking for the admins to ban him only makes the situation uglier. Don't sink to his level.

Posted by: reesem37 | February 19, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

You know the Caps have taken over the town when you see Chris Wallace of Fox News at the game! BTW,we need someone to win the faceoff after a penalty....to give up a goal in 5 seconds and then another in 9 seconds is totally UNACCEPTABLE.

Posted by: roccky | February 19, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

What I'm finding amazing is Backstrom's performance last night. That give and go play with Fedorov was sweet. Had that D-man spinning like a top!

The shootout goal was pretty special, too. He wristed it from a pretty good distance - further than most players would shot on a shootout. Probably caught Price less than ready for it because of that. It was so damned quick!

Posted by: Greg S. | February 19, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Gee, imagine windjammer offending people. If he has gotten worse, I didn't notice. I have gotten in the habit of scrolling past anything that even resembles a windjammer post. I have probably skipped a valid post or two by others, but I am the better for it. Good luck all, except windjammer.

Posted by: _Mark | February 19, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Pity we've run out of superlatives: the kid's prob'ly 3-4 years from his peak.

His comments about the crowd going calm (too) soon after his goal may have gone just wide. All of 109 was looking at each other, or the bench, just stupefied.

Posted by: redlineblue | February 19, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

One more thing on the Boudreau rreaction to the Ovechkin reaction:

Boudreau has a very difficult job - don't think that he doesn't. Anytime you are coach of the world's greatest athlete in your sport, you are on the hot seat.

If something goes wrong, the coach is almost always the one to get the heave-ho. The there's the delicate balancing act to maintain order with the team while not giving the star too much free latitude.

In this case, Boudreau, and old school guy, very much in the Scotty Bowman mold, is loathe to show up the other team at all. I remember Ovechkin in Buffalo several years back scoring a goal, after being booed whenever he touched the puck, and then skating around the rink while cupping his hand to his ear as if to say to the crowd, "Let's hear you now."

Coaches hate that stuff, because it motivates the other team.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 19, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Schultz for the Lady Byng!!!

Posted by: SA-Town | February 19, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Enjoyed the view from Section 110 last night. A great section if you ever get a chance to watch from that area. Of course straight across is just as good (and near the owner's box too!)

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

she's not too big on ovechkin anyway.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 19, 2009 1:52 PM

Have you checked her for a pulse, or perhaps a secret closet filled with Penguins gear?

Posted by: ThisGuy | February 19, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

semi @ richmondphil;

I miss Ovie's celebrations when he would jump in the glass like he was jumping into the fans arms... IMO, his celebrations put him on the same plane with the fans. He;s just as excited as us, gets just as juiced as us, and shows how much he loves the game. Too many others dont engage the fans making it hard for the fans to love them back.

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | February 19, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I would think the Pens would want to make a trade very soon before their season is cut short by the 8 out 11 games on the road. Time is ticking. However, we want them to trade the farm, then not make the playoffs, which of course will result in fewer Pens fans at the Verizon center.

This would make me happy and our Owner happy. He gets it.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

i dont get it.

i can perfectly see why someone wouldn't like ovechkin. its not like shes a big hockey fan like us, she is by extension. she likes pudgy backstrom and big bad donald.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 19, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Wait ... this blog doesn't operate Survivor-style, where we vote off one member each week?

That's no good, because my vote would be for ... :)

Posted by: Cerealman | February 19, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

You can dislike Ovechkin or Malkin or Crosby, but you have to respect them. They are some of the top talents in the world today.

Posted by: reesem37 | February 19, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

ThatGuy2

I think that's one of the reasons so many people , especially kids, love AO. He's having fun and making it fun for everyone around him. Other players love to watch him - until he plays them. Coaches love it too until the same point. Did you hear MacTavish talking on and on about "The Goal" on TSN in 2006? He gets huge respect for his skills, and laughs about his antics. That's why he's voted MVP by his peers, and why the NHL league loves him because everyone wants to see him in action.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 19, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Blockbuster trade: Crosby on the move????

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

My favorite Ovechkin celebration was on Green's game tying goal against the Flyers in game 1 last year. If you didn't smile watching the pileup at center ice then you're watching the wrong sport.

Posted by: theskinnypost | February 19, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Have you seen the new Pens commercial?

Got AFLAC!

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I don't take Ovie's celebrations or exhortations as arogant,he's celebrating with all of us. I remember a game with the Pens early this year in PA on Comcast. They were booing the hee haw out of him. He was encouraging them the same way. I love watching him,he is tremendous.And a team player,all the way.

Posted by: ridgely1 | February 19, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

when did I say my fiance didn't respect ovechkin? and like i said, she's not really a hockey fan. she's going to like who she likes....

you guys are over-analyzing this...

Posted by: richmondphil | February 19, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap, someone's overcompensating...

Posted by: Section117 | February 19, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Richmond...that was not directed at you. Don't take things so personal

Posted by: reesem37 | February 19, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

No, not you rp.

Posted by: Section117 | February 19, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

@sect117

yes, ive noticed it too. ;)

Posted by: richmondphil | February 19, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I love Ovie's celebrations!

Did you see when everyone stood up and cheered for Mike Green's record? He ignored us and drank out of his Gatorade bottle. At least smile or acknowledge the fans a bit.

Posted by: Bagher | February 19, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Just found this on YouTube. Just a little pick me up ahead of Sunday's game.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | February 19, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I got Ovie at 61 goals to end the season. Sounds about right maybe a little to low.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

From the Pittsburgh Post Gazette:

Should the Penguins Trade Crosby while he is still worth something?

His hometown paper thinks he may be worth as much as he will ever be right now and will surely go down in value (like my 401k).

Ha-larr-E-us.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I'd take windjammersouth's postings over "The skies are falling, the skies are falling" ranting any day. I think we can solicit positive outcomes from our Caps without us thinking doom and gloom and half applauding their achievements, tagging on "...but they could do better" attitude that comes with kittypawz' postings. Overanalyzing the Caps, in my non-expert opinion, takes away from the fun. Enjoy the moments as it happens, instead of forecasting doom and gloom and never really enjoying the success that they are accomplishing in the here and now.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 19, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I miss Alan May...how bout Craig Berube. CHIEF!!!!

Posted by: reesem37 | February 19, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

was that sarcasm? Maybe, but maybe a teenie bit of truth in there as well.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

...i can perfectly see why someone wouldn't like ovechkin....

Posted by: richmondphil | February 19, 2009 2:19 PM

Really? I'd love to hear this one. I feel lik you're just saying these things to keep the nookie flowing. But I am actually curious how a Caps fan could not be "big on Ovechkin" in any way. Then again I have unhealthy man-love for Ovie so I'm biased.

Posted by: ThisGuy | February 19, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

last nite my wife was watching American Idol upstairs and hollared down the basement steps "what the h*ll are you screaming about?"

Ovie hi-lite goal.

Kids thought I stuck myself with a pretzel or something.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

What we need here is an "ignore children" button. It would apply to a lot of people on here at various times. Occasionally myself.

I'd say let's just act like adults, but we all supposedly are adults so that's not working out so well.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 19, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

If I was the Penguin brass I would trade Crosby -- imagine the talent you would get and the jump up in standings next year.

I believe Crosby will end up being one of those players who is really great in his head but really good over his career.

Rarely can you have two superstars (if you want to call them that) and win championships. The egos just don't allow it.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Is that Post article a joke? Trade Crosby to the Caps...we'll give em Nylander and a couple of future draft picks. Make the move McPhee!

Posted by: reesem37 | February 19, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

If I wuz yer momma, I would smack.......

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I think Ovi celebrates not only his own successes but those of his teammates, so when he celebrates his amazing feats of talent, like last night's crazy sliding on his butt goal, why fault the guy? Like everyone's said, he celebrates WITH us, not out of arrogance but sharing the joy he feels from it with all of us. I'll take Ovi and his crazy antics. Can't help but love the guy. (insert smiley emoticon face here)

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 19, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

for the third time (dun dun dun), she is not really a hockey fan, she is by extension.

she watches games, and is going to like who she likes. a lot of times outsiders dont gravitate towards the hype man, but rather the quiet entourage. his celebrations can easily be seen as showboaty or arrogant, its really not that hard to see or understand. take off your red shades. when malkin celebrated on a 1st period goal earlier this season against us, everyone here couldn't drop "malkin is an arrogant ass" for the rest of the game.

beleive me guy, defending my fiance's opinion about ovechkin's goal celebrations on an internet blog isn't any factor on my personal life. calm down really, ovechkin isn't your brother.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 19, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

It was most likely high sarcasm from a guy known for it.

But it does ring true in that you could get a ton for him. He is way good, cry baby notwithstanding.

I'm just enjoying anyhting negative about the pens, mostly.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

@greg re 1:31pm post
"one of the biggest complaints from canada" is..... did u talk to all 30million plus canadians? I am Canadian and think ov is great and so do the vast majority of hockey fans i know up here in igloo land. Please avoid such blanket statements. they are completely lacking in statistically factand make u look uniformed or just flay out ignorant

Posted by: wendel2 | February 19, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Trade Crosby? And make him move out of Mario's basement?

Posted by: tess2201 | February 19, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

This is a fun three days for Jose eh? Facing both his former teams?

Posted by: Ovechwin | February 19, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

A couple of opinions regarding Ovie,,,

1) If he had a season ending injury this week-end, he would still deserve this year's MVP. The Caps would be nowhere near where they are at without him. There are no other leaders that can carry this team. He makes everyone step up thier game, even Jose. It makes me a little worried to think twhat would happen to the Caps if he got injured. I can't name any other teams in the NHL currently whose success do not rest almost exclusively one one player's shoulders.

2) His showmanship is acceptable to us just because we are fans of the Caps, and Fans of Ovie. Otherwise, I am sure that this form of showmanship is less than welcome in hockey. Remember that hockey is was a Canadian sport first, where people tend to be much more humble than this side of the border.

Posted by: atybat | February 19, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

@wendel2
ill back you up..
all of my northern friends love ovechkin and understand what a beast he is. Most of them also hate crosby and bettman's marketing of him.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 19, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

We haven't gotten to Sunday's game yet, folks. Yeah, it's the Pens and everyone here is looking forward to that. But, we have another game in the middle of that. A Western Conference team struggling in the standings? Um, does this sound familiar?

If not, it should.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 19, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin can score on more positions than the Kama Sutra. The man is incredible. That shot last night happened right in front of us and I am still picking my jaw up off the floor. There are no words that are adequate.

My gawd, I do love this team!!!!

Posted by: bubblegirl1 | February 19, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

his celebrations can easily be seen as showboaty or arrogant,

Posted by: richmondphil | February 19, 2009 2:51 PM

That's an udnerstandable explanation, of the sort I was seeking. Thank you.

I'm perfectly calm. Calmer than you are.

Posted by: ThisGuy | February 19, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

...or just full of passion with little regard for how much he makes. If we all carried ourselves with that kind of passion...we'd be better off perhaps.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

i dont really give two ducks what ovechkin does after he scores, as long as he scores and doesn't get a penalty for it.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 19, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

While i was sitting around waiting for my boss to fire me because i post too much on this thread during my work hours, it occured to me that on the subject of trades we may be looking in the wrong place.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

good point RP.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:04 PM

Or we could constantly put up the same post over and over again without any real thought or opinion.

Posted by: Section117 | February 19, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@Ovechwin: Must be. Although, I have to imagine that every player who's been in the league for a while deals with that eventually. Trades happen, and nobody is immune. (Ask Gretzky.)

But you bring up a good point. Theodore was not well-liked in Colorado, so I imagine that this Friday is a big, big game for him. He's faced Montreal before since leaving, but I don't think he's faced Colorado since leaving there, and I can't imagine Boudreau not giving him the start. So I have to imagine that Friday will be a big game for him. I want to see our boys win this one - for him. I'd love to see them band together and play at 110% for his sake, even if for nno other reason.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 19, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of ducks have you seen AFLAC? Maybe the trade is with the Ducks out West?

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

we could.

Hoe did you like that Ovie goal. Did you see it?

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Kitty,

As oppossed to not playing 110%?

Posted by: Leeguru | February 19, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@pawz

theo lost his hold a little bit after his tail years as a hab and first couple as a av, but his last year in COL, he did remarkably well.

i hope he gets a SO. seeing theo celebrate last night after the shootout was awesome.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 19, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Did you see it?

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:12 PM

Clear as day.

Posted by: Section117 | February 19, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I still can't believe Ovie did that last night! He is seriously unhuman, who in this world could do that? Only one person, Alex Ovechkin. He is just too good. And his goal was #1 on top 10 plays on Sportscenter! :D Yeah OV!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 19, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

i'm more in line with how BB feels about OV's celebrations. it's obvious to me that he gets just as excited for his teammates as he does for himself - but it can come off as trying to show up the other team. i rather just watch him jump/slam into the glass than cup his ear to entice the fans to make more noise. it would take him pulling a sharpie out of his sock before i'd lose a little respect though.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 19, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Looks good on videotape i imagine.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Why not 120%?

Posted by: Steve_R | February 19, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Looks good on videotape i imagine.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:16 PM

I guess so.

Posted by: Section117 | February 19, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of 120% it will take that to get back what we lost.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

where do you work WJ?

I'm gonna come down there and kick your ass if you keep posting like that.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I mean I'm going to send my wife down to do it. Yer probly more her size.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

No need to kick wj's butt. Some people are annoying by nature and just can't help themselves.

Posted by: Steve_R | February 19, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Is she pretty?

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Primus?

This is why Ovechkin is the most exciting athlete in all of sports! Last night's goal vs. Montreal was an absolutely insane display of awareness, creativity, cleverness, amazing skill, explosive speed, raw power, strength and finesse.

Posted by: ranndino | February 19, 2009 4:51 AM

@Randino: Don't forget "singular focus and unmatched concentration"

Just me, or is Bruce the worst-dressed coach in the league? What's with the blue-striped shirt with the gray-and-pink tie?

Posted by: Cerealman | February 19, 2009 8:41 AM

@Cerealman: Maybe so...but overall I would have to say that his wardrobe has improved since joining the big club in '07. If you really want to see terrible suits, look no further than The Coaches' Corner on HNIC.

@Irockthered: sorry to hear about your situation; I've been there a few times myself, and it's never, ever an easy thing. Best of luck to you in rejoining the workforce very soon.

@everyone: Abouth the standing: I don't have a problem with it during critical times (e.g., Shootouts). That said, my main beef is with the folks who aren't there to support the Caps so much as they are there so that they can SAY they were. Bandwagon fans are OK. Newbies are OK. But let's teach these folks some etiquette: Stand jump and scream and shout--the more the merrier. JUST DON'T BE WALKING UP AND DOWN THE AISLES & ROWS YAKKING ON YOUR CELL WHILE OTHERS ARE TRYING TO ACTUALLY WATCH THE GAME!

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 19, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Now things are getting out of control. Let's get back to hockey. let's talk about how much Sid is going to cry on TV on sunday!

Posted by: Leeguru | February 19, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

It is important to report fraud, waste, and abuse on company time. Especially now in today's environment.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

How about that feature on Ted before the game?

Made me stop and think. He is the "ovie" of owners, just maybe.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

no, she is ugly, I married her to be more like Ted. Generous of spirit.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Lee, how about a pool for the first Cindy pout of the game? I'm going with 30 seconds into the first.

Posted by: Steve_R | February 19, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Ted is a cool owner. Good to have the Owner in your Corner.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Steve, that would have to be 30 seconds into his first shift.

Which will happen first: Sidney fall down and go Boom, or Malkin forgets to keep his head up and Ovi doesn't forgive him?

Posted by: Leeguru | February 19, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Here is an even better video to get you fired up for Sunday. i was at this game and remember it well.

bye bye Mario....

Posted by: capsfansince74 | February 19, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Whygo - can't complain in the long run i imagine generous of spirit wins out over physical beauty.

Ah to be young and a Spring chicken again. How's that Duck doing over at AFLAC?

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Crosby will play well and so will Malkin, I predict. They are good.

I HOPE they will suck, but facts say otherwise.

If the rest of the team plays as they have thus far, we will spank the daylites out of them.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

You think Micheal Jordan gave a rat's patooty whether or not you "liked" his celebrations?

Athletes like Ovechkin only come around once a generation. Enjoy him - and his celebrations - while you can :)

Posted by: Snowdog | February 19, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Wendel2 and RichmondPhil

Please note that I did not say "everyone", "most people", or any other quantifier like that. I said "complaints".

I like Green's offensive output, but not his defense. Not liking his defense is a complaint. I do like Green.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 19, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | February 19, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

By-tor the Snow Dog (cool handle):

I. at the tobes of hades
The tobes of hades
Lit by flickering torchlight
The netherworld is gathered in the glare
Prince by-tor takes the cavern
To the north light

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

PPT where are you?

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

i know, im just saying. its all good. it seems that educated hockey fans can see past the bettman facade and appreciate what ovechkin is doing to the sport.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 19, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

anybody can googole, WJ

YOU are the Centurion of Evil.

Little Pr**ck

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Ovie has done more for the sport (particularly for non-hockey people) than anybody I can think of.

Definition of MVP?

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Jeeze, real bad time to try to relocate a franchise. Even the richest are likely to be in hoard mode. Feel sorry for them.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

yeah, i feel bad for gretzky. the yotes are his babies.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 19, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

from the newswire:

Moneta drills 27 metres @ 3.4 g/t on Windjammer South and identifies possible new gold zones

Figures.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

just gotta shake your head. Hope they get a good buyer and end up better off.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I have to tell you people. If you think windjammersouth is rude please read the Skins blog. They are the worst. They call out the beat reporter, other bloggers, redskins players, opposing team's fans and occasionally the opposition.

Side note: I think my favorite nickname for JLC (the skins beat reporter) is "Tubby dork".

Posted by: NFeKPo | February 19, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Whygo -- why you upset at me?

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I was down in that mine (windjammer south) with a buddy of mine from Timmins. Something to see and it explains a lot.

Rocks in his head, NOT rocks the red!

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

he is not rude, just wierd, right?

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

right?

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Did the Romans bomb Pearl Harbour? Is that what you mean?

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

you a golddigger WJS?

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Yes they did. And thats why we are in an economic depression.

Posted by: NFeKPo | February 19, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I thought the Germans Bombed Pearl harbor...

Posted by: Leeguru | February 19, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Harbour?

Canadian?

you a golddigger, WJS?

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I lost my butt on the Windjammer hince the name.

Win some and lose some just like in hockey. I still chuckle at the negativity sky is falling (hate that cliq o whatever)whenever the Caps lose or don't win by a large margin.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru, I promise to be nice again soon.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

get over it, loser. Gold is way up, now

hahaha

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Nope a paper cutter.

You ever wonder what people do for a living who post here all day and talk about their co-workers?

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

A.O. is the MVP.

Yet he didnt start the AllStar game! :(

Posted by: greener1 | February 19, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I seem to recall that the Yotes were kind of funded rather lightly. Wasn't there a lot of chatter about how much the owners brought to the table and whether there was enough capitalization to survive in the long term?

I guess there wasn't...

I saw a vid recently of Bettman yacking about how there were no plans to move any teams any time soon. The talk around that was there was no reason to have a hockey team in the desert - or in the south for that matter (Nashville, Atlanta and Florida were also discussed).

I frankly don't see where the location should be an issue in terms of hockey. I know that there's french language papers and radio north of Sunrise, and a lot of snowbirds and retirees go to the desert. So why shouldn't there be hockey there? Maybe just not NHL hockey. I don't know what the demographics are of the areas. I dunno...

Posted by: Greg S. | February 19, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

It is? I haven't noticed. bet you got some in 2002?

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

No worries whygo. Today is making me laugh.

Posted by: Leeguru | February 19, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Windjammer South:

why don't you change your name to something that shows you are forward looking, then?

and stop annoying people with your wierd postings?

I mean it, get a life.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

For all of us. I'm on it (WJS) for the duration. Either start posting better stuff or I'll ride you like a bad fart.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

okay - Depression is that forward thinking?

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

wendel2 is posting?

Oh goody, I have been waiting patiently to learn of this week's winner of the highly coveted Capital's Insider #1 Buffoon award.

Brought to us by wendel2 and the makers of Schlitz, enter as often as you wish, some restrictions apply, winners will also be notified by mail, all rights reserved, not associated with Capitals Insider, Tarik El-Bashir, or the Washington Post. The name and title of "#1 Buffoon" is a trademark of the wendel2 corporation

Will the current title-holder keep his crown? Perhaps one of the favorites? Maybe some dark horse out of nowhere?

The suspense is incredible!

Posted by: austinsteve | February 19, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

okay you win.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

poster-most-likely-to-go-postal?

let's take a vote on that!

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@WhyGo -

Thanx for the hilarious article! Pitt fans actually believe that "at 21, Sidney's best years are behind him" and that they should strike now for, wait for this, a low round draft pick because his value is only going down! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I hate Cindy Crosby as much as the next guy but to say he peaked years ago and they're lucky to get a late round pick for a $9 mil per year guy is beyond ridiculous. Thank goodness we dont have parallel idiots masked as caps fans...

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | February 19, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

even so, thatguy, it has a small kernal of truth way down deep. I bet some Pens fans are secretly hoping that they DO trade him.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

@windjammersouth:

All is forgiven.

Please come home for dinner.

and post cool stuff and not wierd stuff.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

About my 401K and the current value of Cyndie to the Pens? Yeah, well at least I watch my 401K every once in awhile. Hah!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 19, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

What do you guys think of going after Witt and Ryan Smyth?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 19, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

no witt.

doesnt smyth make a pretty penny? would love him though.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 19, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

In case any mods are reading this, I'd also prefer to see windjammersouth banned from commenting. We've had plenty of other folks on here who have generated some healthy HOCKEY RELATED disagreements, but this clown seems intent on just stirring up trouble.

Posted by: chombie13 | February 19, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

@greg s

i read somewhere awhile ago that the yotes were all messed up the way it is financially set up. something along the lines that they were doomed if they had extended periods of low attenence from losing seasons. or in this case an econimic downturn along with low attendence.

How much of a financial interest does gretzky have in the team?

Posted by: _stevo | February 19, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Good grief - what the heck happened here? Have we really reduced ourselves to this? What's it gonna take - CI/NHL refs or a group hug or a bench clearing brawl or what?!? Geez. Play nice, people. If you just can't resist the personal attacks when going off on a bit of a tangent, then please just stick to hockey talk. After all, that's what we're here for. (This public service announcement was brought to you by Up With People ... joining Caps fans in joyful song and dance around the world!)

Posted by: Boo- | February 19, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Boo,

lol...

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 19, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

@Greg you said one of the biggest complaints from Canada. That certainly is a qualifier. How is biggest decided? Who did u talk to in Canada? Way more Canadians are concerned about the play of the leafs,canadiens, and senators than ov's celebrations. So cite your source for such obviously ill founded attempts to seem well informed or better yet stop trying to impress people with your made up BS

Posted by: wendel2 | February 19, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Yeah a pipe dream - Smyth probably is too expensive. The modern game may have passed Witt by - too many penalties, but I'd still prefer him over most of our defensemen who are scared to hit.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 19, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Boo, they ain't listening...

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

@austinsteve
...and the best part of the award was having your mom present it to be wearing one of her nasty little teddies
Thanks for the memories austin steve and family ouuuchheeemoommmam

Posted by: wendel2 | February 19, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Hockey is good.

this brought to you by the committee to make hockey good

Posted by: Leeguru | February 19, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I like Witt, but he didn't want to be part of a "rebuilding" program. Guess he got what he deserved.

Posted by: reesem37 | February 19, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

with our PK issues, Witt would hurt us far more than help us by spending half the game in the box...

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | February 19, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I think that what happened to whit was THE definition of justice. Nothing has made me happier than seeing him play for such p@@pie teams!

Posted by: Leeguru | February 19, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

You know, I like OV getting into cheering on the crowd. But he only does it when he wants noise for the team, not for personal accolade. I remember one time during an MVP chant last year he kind of did the "clam down" hand gesture. The building is loud. Really loud. If we need OV to play cheerleader I'll take it. I spent way too many years there where you could turn and whisper to the guy next to you "Reekie skates like a paralyzed pylon" and he would hear it on the bench.

For the record though, the best OV "ear to heard" moment was when Buffalo was booing him and he scored. Awesome. Shocked he didn't get killed later.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | February 19, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

@ wendel2
See, I knew you'd come through.

I just don't see the Post doing much on enforcing the terms of use.

It's mostly up to us to keep things decent in here and respect for others.

Unfortunately I don't know how to spell kumbaya, much less sing it.

Posted by: austinsteve | February 19, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Lee, things have turned bizzare.

And where did you learn the italics thing?

Lyle,

No to both of them.

Posted by: Steve_R | February 19, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Actually there has been a change (after someone asked me if I knew the upcoming schedule):

UPDATE: Rock the Red! Won't be able to post again tomorrow night cause i will be watching the CAPs live at the end they shot at twice.

Glad you asked though here it is:

Is everyone prepared for the 21-game salute? Is anyone more excited than me about the beginning of the stretch run?

Looking Ahead:

The last 21 games of the season the Caps schedule includes:

13 games against division foe
4 against Atlanta
3 against Tampa
3 against Florida
3 against Carolina (2 at home)

2 games against the Maple Leafs

1 against the Bruins (A)
1 against the Penguins (H)
1 against the Flyers (A)
1 against the Predators (A)
1 against the Sabres (H)
1 against the Islanders (A)

Looking good for the stretch run! All we need is a veteran puck moving defensman.

Also check this out to add a little spice to the dessert:

Did you know that 3 straight games are at home "before" kicking off the 21-game salute. While those teams present a good challenge they are at home and our crowd is the 7th man. It will be a good tune up for us.

The other thing I'm sure you missed but the Wind is here to make sure you don't is that the Penguins (who we love to hate) play 8 out of the next 11 games on the road. Man if there ever is a time for them to melt away on the thin ice of new day let's consider this the beginning of the end of their season. And to boot they have to play our CAPS twice in the Phone Booth.

Will update the Pens info. (Man it would be sweet if they lost!)

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

And what's a p@@pie?

Posted by: Steve_R | February 19, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

*Sigh*

I said, "One of the biggest complaints from Canada about AO..." Not of all things AO or even of hockey. Not of Toronto vs Montreal. Not of...

Discussion ends here. It ain't worth it.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 19, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

the thing that comes out of the babies tushie and spells really bad. remember, you talk different when you become a dad

Posted by: Leeguru | February 19, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

did you say you will get shot at twice?

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Glad you asked though here it is:

Looking Ahead:

The last 21 games of the season the Caps schedule includes:

13 games against division foe
4 against Atlanta
3 against Tampa
3 against Florida
3 against Carolina (2 at home)

2 games against the Maple Leafs

1 against the Bruins (A)
1 against the Penguins (H)
1 against the Flyers (A)
1 against the Predators (A)
1 against the Sabres (H)
1 against the Islanders (A)

Also check this out to add a little spice to the dessert:

Will update the Pens info. (Man it would be sweet if they lost!)

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 4:32 PM

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Glad you asked though here it is:

Looking Ahead:

The last 21 games of the season the Caps schedule includes:

13 games against division foe
4 against Atlanta
3 against Tampa
3 against Florida
3 against Carolina (2 at home)

2 games against the Maple Leafs

1 against the Bruins (A)
1 against the Penguins (H)
1 against the Flyers (A)
1 against the Predators (A)
1 against the Sabres (H)
1 against the Islanders (A)

Also check this out to add a little spice to the dessert:

Will update the Pens info. (Man it would be sweet if they lost!)

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 4:32 PM

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Glad you asked though here it is:

Looking Ahead:

The last 21 games of the season the Caps schedule includes:

13 games against division foe
4 against Atlanta
3 against Tampa
3 against Florida
3 against Carolina (2 at home)

2 games against the Maple Leafs

1 against the Bruins (A)
1 against the Penguins (H)
1 against the Flyers (A)
1 against the Predators (A)
1 against the Sabres (H)
1 against the Islanders (A)

Also check this out to add a little spice to the dessert:

Will update the Pens info. (Man it would be sweet if they lost!)

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 4:32 PM

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Glad you asked though here it is:

Looking Ahead:

The last 21 games of the season the Caps schedule includes:

13 games against division foe
4 against Atlanta
3 against Tampa
3 against Florida
3 against Carolina (2 at home)

2 games against the Maple Leafs

1 against the Bruins (A)
1 against the Penguins (H)
1 against the Flyers (A)
1 against the Predators (A)
1 against the Sabres (H)
1 against the Islanders (A)

Also check this out to add a little spice to the dessert:

Will update the Pens info. (Man it would be sweet if they lost!)

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 4:32 PM

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Glad you asked though here it is:

Looking Ahead:

The last 21 games of the season the Caps schedule includes:

13 games against division foe
4 against Atlanta
3 against Tampa
3 against Florida
3 against Carolina (2 at home)

2 games against the Maple Leafs

1 against the Bruins (A)
1 against the Penguins (H)
1 against the Flyers (A)
1 against the Predators (A)
1 against the Sabres (H)
1 against the Islanders (A)

Also check this out to add a little spice to the dessert:

Will update the Pens info. (Man it would be sweet if they lost!)

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 4:32 PM

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Glad you asked though here it is:

Looking Ahead:

The last 21 games of the season the Caps schedule includes:

13 games against division foe
4 against Atlanta
3 against Tampa
3 against Florida
3 against Carolina (2 at home)

2 games against the Maple Leafs

1 against the Bruins (A)
1 against the Penguins (H)
1 against the Flyers (A)
1 against the Predators (A)
1 against the Sabres (H)
1 against the Islanders (A)

Also check this out to add a little spice to the dessert:

Will update the Pens info. (Man it would be sweet if they lost!)

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 4:32 PM

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Glad you asked though here it is:

Looking Ahead:

The last 21 games of the season the Caps schedule includes:

13 games against division foe
4 against Atlanta
3 against Tampa
3 against Florida
3 against Carolina (2 at home)

2 games against the Maple Leafs

1 against the Bruins (A)
1 against the Penguins (H)
1 against the Flyers (A)
1 against the Predators (A)
1 against the Sabres (H)
1 against the Islanders (A)

Also check this out to add a little spice to the dessert:

Will update the Pens info. (Man it would be sweet if they lost!)

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 4:32 PM

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I formally ask for asylum.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

_stevo

A guy by the name of Jerry Moyes is the majority owner. I don't know how much skin Gretzky has in the team though I'm sure for him it's a significant percentage of his net worth.

According to the National Post (http://www.nationalpost.com/related/topics/story.html?id=1303285), they're losing $30 Million a year due to the lease terms of the arena.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 19, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

...*sigh*...

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | February 19, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Based on my understanding, Phoenix is not the only team that will undergo a major change. I suspect Detroit will be in trouble within the next 5 years and so will one of the California teams. The Florida teams will also be under the microscope. I suspect we have a smaller league by 2015.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

austinsteve

I think he gave the award to me. I'm so proud.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 19, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm not the crazy one, HE is....

scene ends with hero carried off in a paddy wagon.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Greg
u missed my question....how do u know it is one of the biggest complaints from Canada?

Posted by: wendel2 | February 19, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't it Irockthered who was saying yesterday that this blog is much more upscale than other hockey blogs, in particular Puck Daddy's?

If you are in the market for an "upscale" vintage car Irockthered, do I have a deal for you. Ever heard of a 1982 Chevrolet Citation? Wanna buy it?

Posted by: atybat | February 19, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Another team that may be on the bubble is Atlanta? In fact the only team in the Southeast that may be left is Washington for obvious reasons.

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

@Whygo,

About boo and her request for playing nice and discussing the topic at hand, generally I think most of us do adhere to the rules and stick to Caps hockey. Tangents will occur but for the most part, this blog will eventually gravitate back to puck talk. I think we are listenin'.

@boo,
Your voice of reason is always welcome with me.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 19, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I will follow the sage advice and just ignore the 'ones that should be ignored' before I become one myself.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Actually i think that Columbus and NY Islanders may be on the bubble too.

Times a changing...

Bob Dylan

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

So this "will be removed from the site" thing in the posting rules. I thought I knew what that word "will" meant but now I'm not so sure. Maybe it's a vaguer term than I had always thought...

Posted by: austinsteve | February 19, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

somebody at the post has to be paying attention. Katie used to be pretty good at removing posts.

Posted by: Leeguru | February 19, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I read the standards and it looks like 'wierdo' is not violating them by being wierd.

Maybe we should hire a lawyer?

any out there?

would one of you take our case?

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Steve_R

I found this site pretty useful for html code. It's pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it.

There's a bunch more on it there.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 19, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I have read this post for years and learned so much (from you and you and you, too) about the team and hockey and things.

shame to get it messed by by wierd dudes.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I think Greg may be just speaking on behalf of a small group of Canadians regarding Ovie's celebrations. I for one who lives in Canada loves Ovie and how he expresses his emotions after a goal. His celebrations are fun to watch and good for the game.

Posted by: bigschu8 | February 19, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

greg s.

thanks! THAT is cool.

winjammersouth sucks, greg rocks.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

No, you're reading the full rules (fool rules?). Those are more subjective. The quicky Rules for Dummies in the "Post a Comment" section seem pretty straight-forward.

Posted by: austinsteve | February 19, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

WhyGo:
you cracked me up - as i scrolled past the wjs postings - i realized it wasn't him - i'm still laughing ........

"I formally ask for asylum"

would that be forgiveness or a psychiatric hospital

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 19, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

We need a Boo-hiss at the folks out of control :D

Posted by: mauree | February 19, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

"how about Witt" makes me laugh very loudly. He's a dinosaur and he's where he should be: crummy rink, crummy team, crummy management to go with his crummy attitude.
Said he didn't want to deal with a rebuild, and that's one thing the crummy Islanders don't seem to be doing is building anything!

Posted by: redlineblue | February 19, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

FDA approved brain-zapping for OCD. I'm cured!

Posted by: windjammersouth | February 19, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

What did we even get for Witt? (I know we've gone through that at least a half-dozen times). Keeping him would've cost us whatever draft picks we got for him and draft picks are what made the team we have today.

Posted by: austinsteve | February 19, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Interesting article for those who haven't seen it yet.

Ever since the Capitals drafted Alex Ovechkin and the Penguins got Sidney Crosby, the teams have been staging a competition to see which of them becomes a dynasty first.

More at

Posted by: bigschu8 | February 19, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Katie, Tarik.
What is needed, in my opinion, is a discussion forum rather than, or in conjunction with, this blog.

Posted by: opita1 | February 19, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

austinsteve

I don't think we got anything. He signed as a UFA with NYI.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 19, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

forgiveness, of course!

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S.

Sounds like we came out ahead

Posted by: austinsteve | February 19, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Ovie can celebrate any way he wants. He plays the game of hockey the way it is meant to be played.

Posted by: nocheese | February 19, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S. I thought he asked to be traded, but I could be wrong about that. I know he didn't want to be involved with a rebuilding team. (Poor guy. Didn't work out so good, did it?)

So there's a veritable smorgasbord of games going around the NHL tonight. Stuff we'd care about for one reason or another:

Buffalo @ Philadelphia: Rootin' for Buffalo here, because it's the Flyers.
Carolina @ NYI: I'm leaning towards the Islanders. They're not very good, but I have a sneaking liking for their guts.
New Jersey @ Tampa Bay: GO BOLTS
Montreal @ Pittsburgh: GO HABS GO - they deserved the point they got last night and honestly deserved the other one as well, but I'm as glad they didn't get it :)
Chicago @ Florida: I hate Huet, but ... go 'Hawks.

So who's watching what? I'm leaning towards the Montreal/Pitt game and checking in on the Tampa Bay game.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 19, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

@nocheese: +1 on Ovi, dude. He plays it like a little kid in an elite athlete's body, and that's what makes him a joy to watch.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 19, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

@opita1

Not to get too much into it, but your point makes too much sense.

It is a case in point of Ted's concern about the decline of the traditional newspaper in favor of other media outlets. A discussion board managed by a newspaper doesn't fall into an existing newspaper paradigm.

Technically (according to the Post's design) all we are doing here is sending feedback on Tarik's news pieces.

Posted by: austinsteve | February 19, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

BLINK

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz

I don't think either CAR or FLA can reach us, so lately I'm kinda rooting for teams in the SE. GO HABS for sure - can't believe my Pens fans colleagues still thinks that Malkin and Cindy are better than OVI. I'd watch that one but I'm busy tonight.

Posted by: mauree | February 19, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

BOLD
deleted

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

greg, I'm learning!

thanks dude.

I'll finish my 'learning to walk' tutorial over at Pens or Philly blog.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

mauree:

I was thinking about last year and how many points behind we were with that last 12 games. I think you are way right, but I still get a little voice that says the Caps better keep pushing as hard as they ever had to the finish line and avoid the natural tendency to coast a bit.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

@mauree: Well, if we think we have a shot in hell of catching Boston, then we have to think that Florida has a shot in hell of catching us, so I hesitate on Florida for that reason. I do want to see them make the playoffs, though. They deserve it - they've worked their tails off.

I see what you mean about Carolina, though, and granted that it'd be nice to see three SE teams make the playoffs. I don't much like Carolina, though - I do like Florida.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 19, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

quite a good point, kitty.

why would we be any more or less likely to catch BOS than for FLA to catch us?

Keep pushing like madmen, boys!

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

WhyGo

Good idea. The natives are very restless here today.

Also, I noticed that not all of the html codes will work on this blog. Yesterday I tried the code to make "F3" be cubed, but it wouldn't work.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 19, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

austinsteve
Thanks for your reply.
That is too bad, then. Maybe the Caps, or Ted, could set up one, I enjoy that type of forum as it keeps the discussion on topic and for the most part well behaved.

Posted by: opita1 | February 19, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I have a PhD in something, but that other stuff is still over my head. I'm happy with a BOLD for starters.

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Here's the thing: sometimes they might relax too much for my taste... but when the Caps are 100% motivated, I think only two teams have a chance to stop them: DET and SJS.

So, if by any chance we get in a slump and start losing games, when FLA or CAR get too close I think we'll start winning again.

But better win them all from now on and be first in the league *winks*

Posted by: mauree | February 19, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

*winks* Hey, new thread folks.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 19, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

WhyGo:
i think BB preaches improvement - he'd say: look up, see BOS, that's where we want to be
if the players believe - then yes they'll push hard which in turn should keep FLA at bay

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 19, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

@opita

There is a site that does that for Caps discussions. The conspiracy theorist in me says unchecked annoyance here will send us all there. And the Post's loss is their gain.

This place just seems more fun, when it works.

Posted by: austinsteve | February 19, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

you HAVE to believe that this team and these coaches really BELIEVE they can win the east. It may be a long shot, but I think they think they can do it. That may be the intangible that keeps the others from catching us (NJ).

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

please pick me to go with you all!

Posted by: WhyGo | February 19, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Ugh I HATE nights when the Caps don't play. :( nothing good on to watch. Thankfully for the next two weeks we only have to wait a day in between games. :)

Posted by: rachel216 | February 19, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Please just let Ovie be himself.If your child were playing any sport,and they scored or did something amazing you(as a parent would go nuts,as you should)your child will go nuts because thats what kids do.now Ovie"S and at the begining of his career and he brings a lot of joy to the sport he loves. he celebrates like a kid in a candy store(give it to him).and i for one just hope as he ages he shows future and younger caps players the passion and joy he gets out of the game of hockey.

Posted by: just_call_me_shell | February 19, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Ludicrous that Sport Illustrated called crosby the best player in hockey in the latest story.
One about the Pens hanging for dear life this year.

Oviey.

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 19, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

I actually like that he is willing to remind the crowd to get into it. There are too many quite periods at Verizon, sometimes we just need a reminder to cheer for the hard work going on out there.

Posted by: theshawn | February 20, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse