Ovechkin 'day to day' with sore knee

Update from the Caps: "Alex Ovechkin is day-to-day with a sore knee. He skated briefly on his own before practice today."

Alex Ovechkin spoke (very softly) to the media at Kettler Capitals Iceplex after skating for about five minutes this morning. He said his right knee is "not that sore" from his hit on the Hurricanes' Tim Gleason last night, and that he would "probably" hear from league disciplinarian Colin Campbell at some point today.

Of a possible suspension for the knee-on-knee collision, Ovechkin said, "If it happens, it happens. I can't do nothing about it."

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  December 1, 2009; 12:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: Should Ovechkin tone it down?
Next: Boudreau on Ovechkin: 'He's pretty reckless'

Comments

Dial it back a notch, Alex.
Better if it doesn't happen.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | December 1, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

they're NOT gonna reveal the nature of the injury before they hear from the league first... but you can be sure that it is NOT a day to day type injury

Posted by: joek443 | December 1, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

1) Hopefully this incident(and the previous one last month) wake Ovechkin up to the fact that he's not th super human player he apparently believes he is. He needs to play more in control. As such a suspension of 2 games or so might be a good thing.
2) Sure still be aggressive, but have some restraint and be cognizant that his team needs him to stay healthy. Else his career will follow other great players who's longevity was cut short by injury

Posted by: fauxrumors | December 1, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

from previous thread:
as long as they allow fighting, every team needs an ENFORCER - not only is it stupid, it is utterly irresponsible not to have one on your team

Posted by: joek443 | December 1, 2009 12:35 PM |

No, it's not.

What's stupid are staged fights. What's stupid are guys who can't play a lick of hockey getting 1-way contracts.

If your linemate got checked dirty, you do something about it then. You don't let your goon get his shift and wait to match the other team's goon shift to deal with something that had absolutely nothing to do with either goon.

Posted by: richmondphil

richmondphil is right

joek443:
how would one enforcer fighting another enforcer keep the other players on the ice honest? would someone like gleason drop the gloves with an enforcer?
if ovi was sticking up for his team - that's fine - but it can't be from a questionable play in the open ice. it wouldn't hurt if some of the other guys on the team take on this responsibility as well

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 1, 2009 12:46 PM

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 1, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Why is every reporter wearing a baseball cap?

Posted by: butcherbaker | December 1, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

as long as they allow fighting, you would much rather see guys drop the gloves and settle whatever dispute they may have between them... or the alternative is one such as Ovie going after Gleason's knee

which would you prefer??

Posted by: joek443 | December 1, 2009 12:53 PM |

I already answered the question.

Do I want our players going after the other team's knees? No..I want them to deal with the situation on the ice. Why can't players? Because of the stupid instigator rule.

I hate Bettman.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Ted, GMGM and BB all should sit down with Ovie and show him the career highlight tape of one Cam Neely

and make him understand that if he doesn't tone it down, he will have a short career just like that of Bam-Bam Cam

Posted by: joek443 | December 1, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

-joek443

Like I said earlier, his knee wasn't extended during the hit which makes it very unlikely it was an ACL injury.

While it could still be a sprained knee which would probably be a few weeks it is probably just a bruise. I'm pretty sure a bruised knee would be a day-to-day type injury. While I agree that they should not reveal the nature of the injury until the league penalty is handed down, it is highly doubtful it is anything serious.

There was no need for him to skate today anyways, so if his knee is sore from the likely bruise he took last night you might as well let him take the day off and rest it.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 1, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

If we can't change Ovy's mind, lets all chip in and buy him one of these... :)

Custom Knee Pads

Seriously though, I agree with the idea of telling him to tone it down a little. Albeit, I'm sure some argue that if he plays "afraid," then he's more likely to get hit and hurt himself. It's a fine line.

Ovy's skilled enough to "pick his spots" and know when he can make a solid hit without having to go for a knockout punch. I loved Brian Pothier's spectacular hip check against the boards the other night. It was a great highlight, but nobody got hurt, just a sure hit nobody could get up in arms about.

Posted by: blackjack65 | December 1, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3 Once again, I would like to contradict you and say that you do no need to have your knee straight to rupture your ACL. As a matter of fact, Orthopedic surgeons test your ACL (AP mobility) with your knee in slight flexion. There are different tests, with different names but you can look up McMurray if you want.
Also, you can skate, run and even ski with a blown up ACL. I would not read anything into Ovie's walking, skating and what BB and GMGM say.

Posted by: atybat | December 1, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

If he dies, he dies.

Posted by: dsterp93 | December 1, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fauxrumors | December 1, 2009 12:47 PM

That the thing! He believes he can everything? but the reality is diffirent. No human can fly, even Ovie. But he always wants to try.

And to answer those who believes he tried to injure Gleason - It's a strange thing to try to injure someone by placing a knee ACROSS the movement of a "victim"

Posted by: erdae | December 1, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Raised in DC on the record setting low 8 win 74-75 Caps, and now living in Pittsburgh....I'm torn. Alex is so dynamic and exciting and actually likes to hit people unlike so many other stars. But this low knee stuff he has used before against the Penguins and frankly, he is indeed just trying too hard as the comment above stated. It's a classic dirty hockey move and can end careers. He doesn't need to go after knees. He has enough legit checks to instill fear in the the very best. If Sid the Kid here in the 'Burgh had those hitting skiils, he; and not the O, would be the best.

Posted by: Moontock | December 1, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I said ACL injuries occur when the knee is extended, not that it has to be fully extended.

You are correct that they test the knee when it is slightly flexed, but the testing happens when the doctor pushes and pulls the knee to extend it slightly to feel if there is a resistance created by the ACL. You can feel the ACL resisting the knee. Again, this is tested during extenstion of the knee even though the knee isn't fully extended.

As a lawyer I am not an expert in this field, but I spoke with my father, who is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in knees and hips, after the injury and I am just relaying the information he told me last night after he saw the replay.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 1, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I've torn my ACL five times. There's no way he has a torn ACL because a torn ACL would cause bleeding (internally) and his knee would be fairly swollen this morning and no one in their right mind would let him on the ice with a swollen knee after such a collision. Also, the type of swelling you get from a torn ACL causes your knee to behave with quite a bit of instability. You typically need impact from from either side of the knee to tear it and this hit was almost perfectly straight on.

Posted by: jakopz | December 1, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who has ever played a sport at a high level knows what type of injury this is...Sometimes you knock knees with someone and its incredibly painful. Your leg goes numb for a bit and you have trouble walking BUT as long as its just that it goes away. When I saw Ovie's hit that what I though happened. It looked more like a bone bruise type thing than a bending of ligaments that you often see when people get rolled up on. (think a lineman getting fallen on by another lineman from behind). This didn't look like that, this looked like a dead leg.

Posted by: nford2 | December 1, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Not sure what the big deals is? It was better than using a stick across the neck. Looked like a bad collision and OVI got the worst of it. I don't know maybe its a common dirty play that I've never seen before?

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | December 1, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

The best player on the planet shouldn't have to play as close to line of being dirty as he does. He's laid hits that could have ended careers against too many players (Gonchar, Briere, Heward, the high hit on Dustin Brown), and in the case of Brown, AO looked like he feigned injury to his ear, and then complained about the penalty. During the game last night, not many Canes' fans thought Ovechkin was as injured as the media (or AO's actions) indicated, and have been saying since since the "injury" that he'll skip an MRI and be day-to-day.

Ovechkin is too good for this sort of thing. And Gleason, just so everyone is clear, was out of the game, but realizing that Corvo was off to the hospital leaving the Canes with 4 defensemen, took a bunch of cortisone and came back (no matter what Bruce says). We still don't know the status of Gleason's knee, so to say that OVI got the worst of it is a little premature.

Ovechkin deserves suspension.

Posted by: lugubrious | December 1, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Given Ovie's apparent penchant for dealing out the knee-on-knee hits, it might be worthwhile for him to invest in some better knee pads.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 1, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

@ Moontock

"Raised in DC on the record setting low 8 win 74-75 Caps, and now living in Pittsburgh...."

"If Sid the Kid here in the 'Burgh had those hitting skiils, he; and not the O, would be the best."

And if grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon...

Traitor

Posted by: jmurray019 | December 1, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

@lugubrious

How can you say your a "Caps fan" if you root against them when they play the Canes? That statement makes it clear that your a "Canes fan". Don't try and hide it. You can say you like the Caps, but if you root for the Canes when they play DC, you are not a Caps fan.

Just to back up my argument...I love the Sharks. Liked them since they joined the league back in 91. Thought they had a cool logo and liked Irbe. I am not a Sharks fan, however. I like them and like to see them do well. But I am a Caps fan.

Posted by: jmurray019 | December 1, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Canes fan that likes the Caps is a joke...

You cant ever cheer for a team in the same conference, let alone the same division...

Posted by: SA-Town | December 1, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

On that note, what is it with all of you former locals who live elsewhere now who feel the need to qualify you're right to express your opinion about whether or not Ovechkins hit was dirty or not? We don't care where you are from or where you live.

This is America and you have the right to say what you want. By throwing in things like:

or

"This, from someone born and bred in DC, who left at age 30 for NC, but who is still a Caps fan (when they're not playing the Canes)."...

you turn many on this board off to your message and they fixate on your geographical location and why what you said doesn't matter to them.

(I know of what I speak, I just did it to 2 people on this very subject above before i caught myself.)

So, if you're in the cesspool named Pittsburgh, you should move to Carolina and root for the Canes. At least its nice there. If you're in Carolina, root for the Canes and be proud. And if you used to be a Caps fan at one time but now root for another teams, consider yourself dead to us.

Happy Holidays

Posted by: jmurray019 | December 1, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

@ SA-Town:

Darn right! There's no "N" or "E" in C-A-P-S!

Posted by: jmurray019 | December 1, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

joek443,

A torn ACL is absolutely, positively out of the question now. No way would the Capitals announce that he is day to day and then turn around and proclaim him to be lost for the season. Their front office would look like a circus. It is not a season ending injury.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | December 1, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

It has been irritating reading on various boards all the people who believe Ovi was deliberately trying to injur Gleason and threw an inentional knee. Why would any player (at least one with an ounce of hockey talent) go for a high speed knee on knee collision when the know the consequences can be just as serious for them as for their target?

This was an unfortunate collision and I am glad that neither Gleason, or apparently, Ovi are seriously injured, but it is being blown out of proportion. This penalty, like many others around the league, was caused because Gleason tried to avoid the hit. With the rash of injuries to players this season there has been a lot of discussion about players needing to respect each other and try to play responsibly. I agree that there does need to be respect among players however at some point players need to take responsibility for protecting themselves. Now I'm not trying to lay any blame for this at Gleason's knees, but at some point a player has to realize that when an opponent is coming in for a hit and he sees it when the guy is a stride and a half away (especially with the speed in the game today) that he can't possibly get completely out of the way and the best play is to brace himself for the hit. Last night especially since the 'Canes were off to a good start and had the team seen Gleason take the hit for the team it may have been the spark that made them dig just a little deeper and given the a W. Instead the Caps dug in without Ovi and they got the 2 points.

Now Ovi has a 2 game suspension but Ithink Gleason should have got more for his boarding of Perrault. He is a big guy and he goes after the smallest guy on the ice, plus the refs have to consider the possibility that it was a premeditated and realiatory hit.

Posted by: ds_kelly | December 1, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I apologize for barging in, I'm a lurker. But this comment, I couldn't ignore. So please, excuse my barging into your conversation:

@moontock
" If Sid the Kid here in the 'Burgh had those hitting skiils, he; and not the O, would be the best."

No. Never. This has less to do with skill than it has to do with personality. Crosby is quiet, more of a sulker and unfortunately, a whiner. No offense intended, but look at his record. Ovie, on the other hand, is an infectiously exuberant player. For all those critics who claim that Crosby is the better player because he makes the team play better: did they somehow not notice that the entire team has taken on Ovie's peronality? And need I say that this makes the Caps a better team?

And BTW, I hail from Pittsbugh. Have been a Caps fan since 1984. Still love the Burgh, though.

OK. Back to lurkdom for me.

Posted by: cymbeline2 | December 1, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

@ jmurray019

Fair enough. Let me rephrase... I am a Canes fan who enjoys keeping up with the Caps. I hope the Canes don't suck so badly next year, and I hope that since the Canes aren't doing squat this year that the Caps go deep and make the Southeast proud. But when the Caps play the Canes, I hope with all my heart that the Caps lose 152-0. I hope that Kolzig comes back to the NHL as a coach who wins coach of the year honors and a Cup, and that Chris Simon is getting his bell rung every night in the KHL. I wish Rod Langway was my neighbor, and that Boudreau would shut his stinkin' pie-hole. I wish AO got a 5- to 10-game suspension. I also wish that I wasn't able to identify Malkin's parents from memory, but that's off topic.

I like AO, and love what he and Semin have done for the Caps. And my point stands that he plays dirty. He fakes injury when he thinks he's in trouble, and there's no reason for it. He's the best in the world and he should man-up once in a while.

Again, I appreciate what you wrote, so thanks. Good luck with the rest of the season.

Posted by: lugubrious | December 1, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse