Ovechkin: 'It's Going to Be Sick'

This is probably the last you'll hear about the Alex Ovechkin Zamboni-Driving Extravaganza (no promises, though). Here's a video of Dan Steinberg's one-on-one with Ovechkin in New York:

Other Odds and Ends

* Katie covered the Penguins' visit to D.C. yesterday, as Sidney Crosby and crew hosted a youth clinic and then met President Obama at the White House. Here's your money quote, courtesy of Sid the Kid:

"There's a lot of Capitals fans out there. They said I was their second favorite."

* As we type, Tarik is heading up to the great state of New Jersey to watch the third annual scrimmage between the Caps and Flyers rookies. We'll have minute-to-minute updates on the bench activities of Capitals Web producer Brett "Stretch" Leonhardt (no, we won't).

* Our all-out Caps coverage really kicks off in the coming week: Complete training camp updates and stories, daily morning reading lists, tweeting, videos and more, so stay tuned.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  September 11, 2009; 10:35 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Ovechkin's Zamboni Ride (Updated)
Next: Ovechkin and Semin Check In

Comments

Forget the Olympics. Please win the cup this year. It's time.

Posted by: ejohnsto | September 11, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

The rookie game today against the Flyers will be on a webcast on the caps and flyers websites.

some real hockey.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 11, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Also ted Leonsis has fully endorses Ovie playing in the Sochi Olympics.

tedtakes.com

Posted by: richmondphil | September 11, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

endorses, endorsed.

whatever.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 11, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Who cares about Ovie on a zamboni? I'm excited to see all the real coverage starting next week!

Posted by: thecapsfan79 | September 11, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Sid needs to lay off the crack pipe.

Posted by: RedBirdie | September 11, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

What has he been smoking!!! He's probably the least favorite player in this area.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 11, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

worst interview ever. Dan- you sounded like a 5 yr old boy with 5 yr old questions. I think one of the Telly Tubbies could have done better than that.
Bring on next week and all the fun and games

Posted by: TottenhamCaps | September 11, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Second favorite? That's counting from the bottom, right? (The guy in Iran is first.)

Posted by: zmega | September 11, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Bring on the full coverage! I'll even dust off my Twitter account for the occasion.

Also, I don't know a single Caps fan who would name Sidney Crosby in even their top 10, let alone their #2.

Posted by: nicko | September 11, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Sid is the second favorite.....favorite is EVERYONE else!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | September 11, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Sid is the second favorite.....favorite is EVERYONE else!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | September 11, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------
Another comment by a typical Capitals fan. You just don't get it, it was humor. You may not think it was funny but you should at least understand it...oh wait, you're a Capitals fan so you obviously don't get it. In less than a month you get to experience it all over again. Humiliation, embarrasment, frustration all the things that go along with being a Capitals fan. By the way, keep booing Mike Green. Capitals fans showed their knowledge by running Larry Murphy and Sergei Gonchar out of town. We were happy to take them and the Stanley Cups that followed. Hopefully your ignorance wioll continue and the same will happen with Mike Green. Just seven more months from another playoff beat down, that is if you make it that far. HA HA HA!!!

Posted by: jega246 | September 11, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

me thinks jega246 is sharing the CRACK pipe
with cindy!

Posted by: whiteltng | September 11, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Responding to trolls is pointless. Best to ignore and thus marginalize them.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | September 11, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Responding to trolls is pointless. Best to ignore and thus marginalize them.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | September 11, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------------
And yet you respond

Posted by: jega246 | September 11, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey jega246--nice way to show us your jealousy by trash talking the Caps on a Caps message board. If you had read the article--which you clearly didn't--Crosby was just as bland as ever. I don't bother with Pens boards--not interested.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 11, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

The full article--not just the snippet above.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 11, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Now, now. A little respect for Sindy is in order. Why, the *players* voted Crysby #1! In a poll about who's the league's biggest whiner, but still, #1! And by a lot, too. Caps don't have that. Neener.
Gotta go punch someone in the sack while they're fighting someone else--I'll catch you guys later.

Posted by: redlineblue | September 11, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 11, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------------
Jealous? What do I have to be jealous about? The fact that your "fans" run talented defensemen out of town so they can have success elsewhere, like with the Pens; that fact that the Pens continually eliminate the Capitals; the fact that in the biggest game of the season the Capitals once again CHOKED?

You continue to call the best player in the NHL "Cindy" or "Sindy" that will show him how clever you are. You keep that up and we will keep on beating your sorry team year in and year out. That will show me. I can see I have a lot to be jealous about.

Posted by: jega246 | September 11, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

jega246. You can't even follow the postings. Learn to read! I called him Crosby--I respect him as a player but I will ALWAYS take our Ovie over him any day.

When you come here with your dump rantings all I can think is that you have an issue with the NHL players ranking Ovie the best player. Yeah I think Pens trolls who waste their time coming here are jealous.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 11, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Sid = second favorite out of the only one, Ovie.

Posted by: wis193 | September 11, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 11, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------
You can have him. We will take the Stanley cup here in Pittsburgh. Just another reason you and other Capital fans don't get it and never will.

Posted by: jega246 | September 11, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Ahh jealous much--just can't stay away can you. Must be like picking at a scab. Keeps on bleeding doesn't it.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 11, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately...I am going to have to agree with TottenhamCaps. Dan..that was a 3rd rate interview. Ovie's body language said it all. He looked like he was getting ready for a root canal. Come on Dan...you can do better than that. That was the greatest hockey player on the planet you were talking to. WAKE UP!

Posted by: RockDaRed | September 11, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Funny quote by Sid. I don't see what the big deal is. Ovechkin makes plenty of silly comments.

Let's get this season going. Looking forward to see how camp goes, especially the young guys.

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | September 12, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

While the Sid gang was in town I was having dinner with my wife around Dupont circle near the Metro . We where sitting outside because of the cool calm weather it was just perfect . As I was sipping on my cold frosty Black&Tan I lite my Cuban stoggie I had to turn away from the light wind to get a flame I notice this white guy walking out of the alley @ 22 & Q st . I turned to my wife and said " look theirs that gay guy who plays for Pittsburg and my wife says who Crosby ....lololo This is a true storie . I wonder why he was in Dupont circle ? I guess you can take a meat eater out of his town but you can't take the meat out of you when your a CSKER, I bet sid knows what everyone in the locker room looks like in a jock . You like these Sid ?

Posted by: terryreece | September 12, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse