Ovechkin: 'No better, no worse'

Alex Ovechkin spoke to the media this morning for the first time since Sunday night, when he suffered an upper-body strain against Columbus. The two-time reigning MVP is listed as week to week and expected to miss at least tomorrow night's game against New Jersey.

On if he'll be ready to play in the back-to-back games against Florida this weekend:
"I'm going to try, but you never know how it's going to be. It's still the same. No better, no worse; still the same."

Whether this is a long-term injury:
"I don't know, we'll see how it goes. Probably going to be quicker."

If it's better to be hurt now, rather than closer to the playoffs:
"You never want to get hurt, get some injury. Especially right now, when you're in good shape and feel pretty good about yourself. You get hurt and you take some [time] off and don't practice."

On traveling with the team despite the injury:
"Take some nachos, coke and enjoy the game," he said with a laugh. "Hopefully guys gonna win. I want to be around team; I don't want to stay at home and watch game at home. I want to travel."

By Katie Carrera  |  November 3, 2009; 12:59 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New line combos in Ovechkin's absence
Next: Hitchcock: Blue Jackets targeted Ovechkin

Comments

Like Ovi's comments about coke and nachos. Good stuff, but personally I hope he sits for at least a week to get himself rested up and put back together.

Posted by: superpaqman | November 3, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"Get some nachos, coke and enjoy the game"

if the team doctors think this will help heal an 'upper-body strain' - he should have one to two helpings per period

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 3, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

BB said in his interview hopefully it won't be longer than 2 weeks, but then rephrased that he really has no clue how long it would be.

Posted by: ThePat | November 3, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

In keeping with team philosophy, does this mean a conditioning stint with the "Griffs" is in his future?

Posted by: rockdaredlangely | November 3, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Ovie - incredibly insightful as always!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 3, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Let him rest and heal- we already won the division.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 3, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Glad he's traveling with the team. He's a great locker room guy and can be helpful off the ice if he can't be on it.

Enjoy the nachos and get well soon Ovie!

Posted by: CapsChick | November 3, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see Ovie return to practice only when his shoulder is free of pain. Given today's pronouncement, that could take a few weeks.

Posted by: Terptwin | November 3, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

lylewimbledon:
we already won the division.

be careful of how many times you say this. last year windjammer kept posting the 'easy' 21 game home stretch schedule - it didn't turn out to be so easy after all
with that said - caps will win the division - mark my words

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 3, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

@rockda - The Grand Rapids philosophy is for players that we'd rather be rid of.

In a related matter, I see that ol' 92 has 6 points in 5 games. What intrigued me more, though, is the Griffins' Kris Newbury. In ten games, he has 8 points (3G, 5A) and a whopping 58 PIM.

Posted by: 106T | November 3, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

This could end up being a blessing in disguise on a number of levels:

1. Ovechkin will be more rested down the road in an Olympics-shortened season.

2. Other players get a chance to step up and gain confidence in Ovechkin's absence.

3. GMGM will better be able to gauge the actual depth of this team, particularly if Ovechkin misses a number of games. Various weaknesses and strengths, for that matter, may become apparent.

Posted by: tmac2yao | November 3, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

@Kirk

I will eat crap if we don't win the division.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 3, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Heh. Ovechkin is Ovechkin, no matter the circumstances. I hope he enjoys his nachos and doesn't push too hard.

What tmac2yao said makes real sense. This will be either the best thing that could have happened to the Caps, or the worst, and it remains to be seen which. Now is the time for the team to prove they aren't a one-man operation.

Posted by: irockthered | November 3, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin is the best ever. I love that he wants to be with the team and not at home watching it on TV. Too bad some of his teammates don't have the same dedication to the sport as he does. Or for that matter, athletes on other teams.

Posted by: Girl1 | November 3, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

If Ovi didn't get hurt, I wouldn't be craving nachos right now!

Posted by: CapsKH | November 3, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know how he really got injured?

And I don't mind Ovie fighting his own battles. It worked very well for Gordie Howe.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 3, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

we all love you ovie...rest up and prepare for the best ever

Posted by: masterx91 | November 3, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

When we see OV's personal trainer from Russia, we know Russian machine broke and needs Russian Mechanic. Until then, Russian machine not broke just sore. I still can't get any sense of where he was injured in the Columbus game. I wonder if it was from another game or incident?

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | November 3, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

"Russian machine not broke just sore"--good one!

I agree that this could be a blessing in disguise for the team.

Ovie--Love your dry wit and passion--of course you'd want to travel with the team.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | November 3, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@ tominfl1

but it didn't work out too well for Bobby Orr

Posted by: joek443 | November 3, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

As a Hershey Bears fan I wanna say, Ovie, if you feel like a rehab assignment would help, you'd look great in the chocolate & white uni.

Posted by: tfirey | November 3, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Good lord, that boy loves nachos!

Posted by: ChrisinSS | November 4, 2009 1:38 AM | Report abuse