Ovechkin, Laich on losing and flat tires

In case you haven't ventured over to the D.C. Sports Bog recently, Dan Steinberg has post-playoff video reactions from Alex Ovechkin and Brooks Laich.

Asked whether it would be fair, as captain, to have to shoulder the blame for the Caps' first-round playoff exit, Ovechkin said: "It's fair. It was my fault when we didn't score goals. I had the chance to score goals, I didn't score goals. Sometimes you just have to take this moment in your hand. It's just pretty hard when you see how we fight and how we play. We have a chance but we didn't score enough."

Here's more from Ovechkin, and here's Brooks Laich on that late-night, good-Samaritan tire change, of which he said, "I saw that it was just a lady and her daughter, and I figured my tire expertise outweighed hers."

More to come soon.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 30, 2010; 2:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McPhee backs Boudreau, staff
Next: Scott Walker on Caps' loss: 'It's time to learn to win now'

Comments

Repost

Wow, I guess the delusions reach the mgmt as well in this case. Keeping drinking that BB kool-aid folks, I really hope you are all right and he can be more than a one trick pony but the three years thus far have not shown he can.

If he changes and they win it all next year I will be the first to admit I was wrong, thing is, will all of you admit you were wrong if the team collapses once more? I highly doubt it, we will hear all the same excuses all over again. See you in July when hopefully some moves will be made.

Posted by: PhilR | April 30, 2010 2:51 PM |

Posted by: PhilR | April 30, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Keep it up Brooksie.
Hope the guys regroup for next season.

Posted by: instinct227 | April 30, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Anyone hear the joke they're telling out here in Pittsburgh?
A guy walks into a bar and orders an Ovechkin. The bartender asks, what's that? The man says, It's a white russian with no Cup.
Ouch.

Posted by: pivo20 | April 30, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Caps fans are too funny. I told all you losers that the Caps did not have what it takes to win the cup. When Wilbon criticized Ovie you attacked him like wolves.

I think Wilbon gets the last laugh. Actually, I know he does and here is the video to prove it.

Please focus at 1:15 when Wilbon has his s&#^ eating grin on full display

HAHAHA

Posted by: dominic10464 | April 30, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone read the Fedorov's interview and wonder if we could have still be playing in the playoff if he was the second line center. Though he left because he didn't want to stay in DC. Damn GMGM.

Posted by: instinct227 | April 30, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

@pivo20......definatley an outch, but also pretty funny.

Also, I am one to say quit bashing Semin!!! He was one of our better players in the playoffs. No goals, but had the shots. Semin had 44 shots in the playoffs, which was number 1 on the team! Ovechkin was 2nd with 34.

I could understand the bashing if he didn't show up at all, but to have the most shots on the team.....get over it guys!

Go CAPS!

Posted by: OviFan08 | April 30, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhilR | April 30, 2010 2:51 PM |

Phil, there's no delusions here. Boudreau is the best coach the Caps have ever had - and that's based on simple stats. The problem here isn't coaching or the system - it's that certain key players can't get over playoff nerves and perform. And they aren't players where you can just pop another player in their place either - so don't go saying Boudreau should have replaced them.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 30, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"If he changes and they win it all next year I will be the first to admit I was wrong,"

Me too. I honestly don't think he can change, though. I just don't think he thinks there's anything wrong with his system because it works in the Regular Season and it worked at the AHL level. If he does, awesome. I really truly and sincerely hope he does. I just don't think he can.

"thing is, will all of you admit you were wrong if the team collapses once more"

You know the answer to this. There's always going to be some reason why it's OK if he fails again. Look how many people don't think there's anything wrong with his system now.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 30, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Ron Wilson took the Caps to the finals. Baldy is stuck in 1st

Posted by: doughless | April 30, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

It is what it is.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 30, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Ron Wilson is a good coach though. And Olie played out of his mind.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 30, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

QUESTION FOR POST CAPS REPORTERS: I heard Mike Wise go off on his radio show yesterday about how some of the prominent Capitals routinely carouse until the wee hours of the morning. I don't recall if he said that they did it on the nights before games, but I certainly got the impression that Wise thought the hard partying was a cause of the big choke. Why haven't we heard more about this? If Capitals are coming to the games or practices hungover, that strikes me as highly relevant.

Posted by: dcsportsdude | April 30, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR...
I believe in Bruce, I also believe he was part but not all of the problem in adjusting for this series. He will get the team prepared better for the playoffs next year, and if I am wrong I will admit it publicly. For you and others who want Bruce fired, remember his work over a 2 and 1/2 year period , including the playoffs. If you look at it a s a whole he has doen an excellent job with this team and the players. Unfortunately we have the bad taste of the playoff defeat fresh in our mouth, do onot let it cloud your judgement. This team has been built to be comppetitive over the next 5-7 years, and with a little tinkering over the next 12 months i hope to see a much stronger team in the 2011 playoffs.

Posted by: boomer44 | April 30, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Before the playoffs started, I commented to my brother (also a Caps fan) the the Flyers winning was one of the worst things that could have happened to the Caps. The reason for that, one that many people on this board are totally missing, is that certain systems work well against other systems. The Caps system would have beaten pretty much any other team in the Eastern Conference Playoffs except Montreal or New Jersey. New Jersey's system probably would have beaten any team except Philly. The Caps' system is far from broken - it simply needs to be tweaked to work better against a couple specific systems.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 30, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"Boudreau is the best coach the Caps have ever had - and that's based on simple stats."

---

It depends on what stats you are using. If you aren't talking about the stat "Playoff Success," then yes, I agree with you.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 30, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

next year, next year....in this town, why is it always next year?? 35 years of next year for the Caps.

the Boudreau led Caps have been to the playoffs 3 years, the results?

v. Flyers = 7 games and out
v. Rangers = 7 games and win
v. Pens = 7 games and out
v. Habs = 7 games and out

impressive

Posted by: doughless | April 30, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

So let it go, and hope management makes the right off-season moves.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 30, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Did OV break another camera today ?

Oh wait, he's going to the World's, plan worked perfectly.

Caps have the worst GM in hockey, they'll never win a Cup with McJoke.

Posted by: Cheef | April 30, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"Ron Wilson took the Caps to the finals. Baldy is stuck in 1st"

If you remember correctly the better teams were eliminated by lesser teams. The Caps had a virtual cake walk to the finals. Once they faced a really good team SWEEP!

Move some of the skill, bring in some character and toughness, this is a Cup contending team.

Posted by: FLDave | April 30, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Did OV break another camera today ?

Oh wait, he's going to the World's, plan worked perfectly.

Caps have the worst GM in hockey, they'll never win a Cup with McJoke.

Posted by: Cheef | April 30, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

---

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 30, 2010 3:19 PM

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 30, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

It's actually quite startling to me the amount of people who aren't putting more blame on the players.

Half our defenders can't defend, as was apparent the past 2 years, and half our forwards don't back check.

Is it BB? Could be, but I find it hard to beleive any coach is telling his team to not back check and defend like your in a beer league.

Flyers partied this season and cost their coach his job. Caps players need to buckle down.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 30, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

@timmyv38

Exactly. Make some tweaks. Make a few personnel changes, such as Volchenkov, Carlson, Alzner and a quality two-way 2nd line center. Get some guys on the 3rd and 4th lines who are better penalty killers. And teach the Caps that they do need to alter their gameplan depending on the opponent. Such as more dumping and chasing and cycling against the Habs to take advantage of the weakness of the Habs defensemen.

But do not throw out the entire team and system.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 30, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Did OV break another camera today ?

Oh wait, he's going to the World's, plan worked perfectly.

Caps have the worst GM in hockey, they'll never win a Cup with McJoke.

Posted by: Cheef | April 30, 2010 3:24 PM

Cheef, just want to let you know - you're a moron. Look at what McPhee has done - he has built the Caps the best farm system in the NHL, has turned them from a non-contender into a 3-time division winner, and he's STILL not out of the planned rebuilding phase.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 30, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Keep on believing and Rock that Red !!!!

By the time they're done building,rebuilding, tooling, retooling Ovechkin will be retired, can't wait for the justification at that time.

Posted by: Cheef | April 30, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

If McPhee decides to not target the team's needs (again), then he needs to go.

Sorry...

Posted by: richmondphil | April 30, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

@timmyv38

You have to enjoy Cheef.

He is like the chubby little fat kid who tries to be an agitator but has no friends.

It's always amusing to see how he uses his time.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 30, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

In my humble opinion, most of the personnel pieces are in place minus a true two-way 2nd line center and a shutdown defenseman. With the cap space freed up by our large number of UFA's including Theo, Corvo, Morrisson, etc, I would think that GMGM can file these holes. My bigger concern in the long-term is whether BB can make the game to game changes that were lacking in the Montreal series.

To continue to try the same things over and over with the same players on the PP was painful to watch. A seasoned veteran coach would have changed to strategy to get better matchups even if that meant shortening the bench or using Semin on the same line with Ovechkin and Backstrom. I'm not a huge Semin supporter, but the lack of continuity at center and LW on his line had to have some impact. Let's hope BB and his staff learned something from this series both on and off the ice.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 30, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

That's right. Everyone off the bandwagon...jump away.
This was an exciting, amazing season. The best in the history of the franchise. The team learned a lesson losing in this first round, and they'll remember that next year.

Posted by: j3rockstar | April 30, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I've chosen not to support your product any longer, don't get me wrong, you had a good year, I did not expect the team to win the Stanley Cup this year, still a young team, but I also did not expect to be dismissed so suddenly by a team that barely made the playoffs, an inferior team but one with heart, something your teams lacks. Mr. Leonsis, this is your team and your money and you can do with it whatever you like, by the same token, I can do whatever I want with my money, and at this time I will wait until you can improve your product, and when you do and the Caps are able to get into the second round, I might consider supporting you again, I'm a patient man, I hope you are one as well.
Good luck.

Posted by: aim19541 | April 30, 2010 3:33 PM |

This is the definition of fairweather, and makes you look like a pompous ass. You aren't entitled to anything as a fan.

It's hilarious how absolutely entitled you people think you are.

Your tickets will go to a fan on the waiting list who appreciates the 40+ games of watching most of the most exciting teams in the NHL. You don't have any stock in the team, you have no vested interest in it except to pay money and root. If you choose to not pay your money and not root, that's fine, be a fairweather pompous ass and someone else will spend their money instead.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 30, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"VTDuffman, did you know that the Caps have only been past the second round twice? "Playoff success" is something no Caps coach has ever had, with the exception of two seasons. Boudreau in 3 years has gotten the Caps 3 division titles, and is still rebuilding the team. He is the best Caps coach ever no matter what stats you use."

---

Ron Wilson has had more success in the playoffs than Bruce Budreau. Using that measure, "Playoff Success," he is not the best coach this team has ever had. He's certainly better in the regular season than Wilson, but not in the playoffs. Perhaps next year he will get further than the 2nd round and we can re-visit this discussion, but right now? Not So much.

Its so hilarious how married some of you are to this guy. He's just a coach. We've had plenty of them in the past, we'll have plenty more in the future. I can't help but shake the feeling that the people who are so hopelessly devoted to BB just started paying attention a couple years ago and just plain don't know this team without ol' fuzzhead at the helm.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 30, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

"BB is probably going to be here for a long time. Like Ruff and the Sabres organization.

So let it go, and hope management makes the right off-season moves."

---

Phil,

I know we were disagreeing the other night, but I agree with you 100% here. I don't agree that we should keep him, but I do agree that we probably will, and everyone really needs to deal with it. (We all just deal with it in our own ways - mine is complaining on the internet :)

I also agree with you that we just have to hope that management makes the right decisions and provides him with players on the blue line that can make up for (what I perceive to be) the deficiencies of his team from a defensive standpoint. I think if GMGM can't come up with the players to mask (what I think are the) holes in BBs system, then he should be canned for a GM who can, if we are truly "stuck with" BB as coach for the foreseeable future.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 30, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

_______________________

Our defenders, collectively, have no clue how to defend on the rush. I wouldn't mind a 100% turnover back there, minus the two kids.

Green needs to hit up some skating clinics all summer. Schultz needs the same thing.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 30, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Whereas: Alex Semin is a tremendous talent;

And Whereas: There is a general sentiment that he has not lived up to potential;

And Whereas: The GM/Management has NEVER provided him with a dedicated 2nd line Center with complimentary skill and speed;

And Whereas: Eric Belanger, while being great in many ways was NOT complimentary to Semin;

Be it therefore resolved that criticism of his 2010 first round playoff performance is hereby suspended.

Be it also resolved that if he is given a legitimate 2nd line center, and still fails to show up that his ass be kicked out of town with the collective steel toe boot of all Caps fans.

Be it additionally resolved that if management does not live him a legitimate 2nd line center that their asses be kicked out of town with similar implement and expediency.

Posted by: LesGrossman | April 30, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

@VTDuffman

Yes, it's just slightly differing opinions, which really point to the same thing; the team has problems which need to be addressed.

Whether they come from management, the coaching staff, or the players, something needs to change.

Like I said the other night, BB has some apparent issues. I just don't think he's incapable of making those changes, and I put most of the blame on the players anyway.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 30, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

I'm still for keeping Schultz and Green. Schultz improved tremendously from last year to this year and hopefully he will continue to improve.

I do agree that both need to attend a skating clinic in the offseason.

When I think of the D next, I think of Alzner and Carlson being the top D pair by the end of the season. Then if the Caps can get Volchenkov you have TBA/Volchenkov as the 2nd pair. That would put Schultz/Green as the 3rd pair and Green as a PP specialist. I would be more than happy with that role for him. Cutting down his minutes would help him because you can tell his skating hurts when he plays a lot of minutes.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 30, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

@LesGrossman

Haha..great post.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 30, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

who says GMGM will be here forever?? maybe BB's job is safe as long as GMGM is around but one more failure like this, NEITHER will be around after that.

the expectations won't get smaller next year, they will get bigger... you can only go so far with the "this team is still young" excuse.

they had better win at least 3 rounds in the playoffs next year or it will be time to blow up the front office of this team and start over.

Posted by: joek443 | April 30, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone hear the joke they're telling out here in Pittsburgh?
Ouch."

___________________________________________

Um, hate to break it to you, they are telling that joke in many more cities than just Pittsburgh. And if they are telling it in Pittsburgh, exclusively, it might happen to do with the fact that Semin was shooting off his mouth about how Crosby isn't such a big deal some time ago. Hmm?

Posted by: bess1 | April 30, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Haha, yeah I'm joking when I say I want 100% turnover.

Word from my connected Sens fans is that if Anton doesn't re-sign with the Sens, he will be a Cap.

Also, I keep hearing the Flames might be open to sending Regehr away, which if he is shopped, I would hope GMGM is all over.

There's also Mike Weaver from the Blues. He'll probably be re-signed, but if not, I want GMGM to target him. Same for Hamhuis and Kubina on the Preds and Thrashers respectively.

We need guys who know how to defend...not guys who are still learning how to. (The kids aside)

Posted by: richmondphil | April 30, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I think Volchenkov and either of those guys you mentioned would be a great shutdown pair. It would be key for the 2nd guy (assuming the Caps get Volchenkov) is also a good PK guy. Then the Caps will have a great shutdown pair who play a lot on the PK. A great young pair in Alzner and Carlson who will end up being the best overall pair of defenseman on the team. With Green and Schultz being the last pair.

Having Carlson and Alzner coming up helps shore up the defense a lot which only requires GMGM to get two more defensemen (Volchenkov and one of the guys you mentioned). We have to give GMGM credit for not trading either of those guys away at previous trading deadlines when people wanted them.

Clearing Poti's salary and Flash's once expected salary will clear significant cap room to slide those two in.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 30, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

j3rockstar

This season was like a sex with the most beautiful woman on the planet. Excitement and expectations heightened, the atmosphere was perfect and everything was in place for the greatest love making session ever. The foreplay is fantastic, the tempo is picking up and there appears to be no stopping this fantastic adventure. Then mid coitus she gets up, puts her clothes back on and you’re left without an orgasm.

Yeah it was beautiful, yes it was erotic, it had great promise, but in the end you’re stuck with a horrible case of the blue b@lls...

They will give the beautiful lady another shot, but until then they're going to need to purge.

Posted by: FLDave | April 30, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Worst GM in hockey.

Caps will NEVER win a Cup with this GM.

Posted by: Cheef | April 30, 2010 3:15 PM |

-------------------------------

@Cheef:

Really? Worse than all the NHL GM's whose teams didn't even make the playoffs this year? Worse than the GM's whose teams have never even made the playoffs under their tenure?

Did GMGM steal your lunch money? Foul your cereal? Eat the last cookie in the jar? I'm mildly curious as to why this GMGM-hate keeps spewing out of you, year-in and year-out.

Ø Yeah, right Ø

Are your 12 or something? Seriously, tell me if you are. Because you remind me of a school bully who is an expert at "restroom karate"--i.e., kicking @$$ in a confined space when you outnumber your (smaller) victim 5-to-1.

Trouble with "restroom karate" is that it's pretty useless 1-to-1 on open ground.

There are few things that I enjoy seeing more than a bully getting what he richly deserves--e.g. getting kicked hard in the "tenders"...

Not necessarily by a "hero", but by an ordinary person who has simply become fed-up with that bully's taurine excrement.

Right now there is plenty enough misery on these boards (and throughout Caps-land, for that matter), without your sadism adding to it.

Don't go away mad...Just. Go. Away.

I think I speak for most of the people on this board when I say you're not worth wasting any further words on. Except for this:

Perhaps you would have more fun hanging out with your girlfriend Sid-The-Id and his NAMBLA sponsor Mario, talking about How Great The Penguins Are.

We don't need to hear it.

Putz.

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 30, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

lesgrossman: I second that motion.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | April 30, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

@lesgrossman

Must admit I laughed at your post but can certainly understand the points made.

The guy who hadn't lived up to his "potential" somehow led the team in Plus/Minus in 2008-2009 despite missing over 10 games due to injuries and an ever changing cast of line mates.

The same guy was tied for 5th in Plus/Minus in the league this year, once again with an ever changing cast of line mates. His main line mates are not necessarily good at defense in 5 on 5 situations.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 30, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse