Ovechkin, Malkin and Semin make up Team Russia's new top line

From Slava Malamud on Heavy Medal:

Saturday afternoon's Team Russia practice featured a switch-around in the top two lines, with Pavel Datsyuk moving to pivot Ilya Kovalchuk and Maxim Afinogenov. This means that Evgeni Malkin will take his place on the top line, setting up the long-anticipated partnership between the Penguins superstar and the Capitals' dynamic duo of Alexander Semin and Alex Ovechkin.
After the practice, Ovechkin commented on his new center:
"How do I like [playing with Malkin]? If we were to put you on the line with him, you would like it too."

Read more here.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 20, 2010; 7:05 PM ET
 | Tags: Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin, Olympics, Pittsburgh Penguins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Olympic links: Ovechkin's skates, Czechs win again
Next: In-game chat: Russia-Czech Republic

Comments

youaresquishy:
are you in vancouver helping the russians? you were dead on with with swapping malkin/datsyuk - bravo

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 20, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

they're gonna be fighting for the puck amongst themselves... Ovie is better off with Datsyuk

Posted by: joek443 | February 20, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Other news:

In order to wake up the Power Play (or what has been the Powerless Play, as of late), Team Russia will use the following people on the first PP unit: Ovi, Kovy, Datsyuk, Malkin. The second PP unit will include Semin and Radulov. (Is Russia's coach talking to Boudreau and getting ideas from him?)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 20, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

While I personally love Pavel Datsyuk, after their loss to Slovakia, the Russians had to do something different and switching centers on the first 2 lines seemed to make sense.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 20, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

On the other hand, how do the Czechs match up defensively - Kubina and Kaberle? Kaberle isn't very big, is he? Ovi and Malkin together are a lot of beef to wrestle with. I imagine Semin becomes the de facto center on the line, making most of the set-up passes. It will be interesting to watch.

Grueling day tomorrow - a triple-header. Better start with the snack preparations tonight.

Posted by: zmega | February 20, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

@zmega

Yes, get ready for the triple header tomorrow. Although only the real die hards will stay up for the Finns and the Swedes.

Will Sasha be the de facto center for the line? Even though Malkin is "technically" a center.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 20, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

So due to equipment failure, I guess we've seen the last of the "sheepskates" this Olympics.

Tis a shame. But maybe we'll be lucky and they'll get Ovi's new skates fixed.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 20, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | February 20, 2010 8:06 PM |

lol....

Posted by: richmondphil | February 20, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Please get this over with so we can get back to Caps hockey! All I really want from the Olympics is the Canadians not to win Gold.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 20, 2010 5:00 PM

DITTO! I'm so tired of the Olympics and so starved for my Caps. What about Bradley - how's he feeling? How are the Bears doing? Will the NHL discipline Janssen? I know it has only been a week but it feels much longer!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | February 20, 2010 5:44 PM

Are you guys serious?

We are watching the best players in the world right now give it all they got. If you are a fan of hockey, how could you want the Olympics to be over?

Hockey > Caps.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 20, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 20, 2010 9:25 PM |

Yeah, I'm not sure what zmega was getting at, but Malkin will be the one centering it.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 20, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

After his horrible PP performance against Slovakia, why are they keeping Malkin on the 1st PP line? Maybe that was a fluke and he'll bounce back, but he hasn't seemed to be as good this year as last. They'd be better off leaving Semin on the 1st PP, and replacing Malkin with Datsyuk.

Posted by: timmyv38 | February 20, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

That's what I figured. Malkin will be the center.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 20, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

@timmyv38

That's the story of Sasha's life. If the team's not going well, he's the scapegoat, it seems. It's either: 1) Kick him off the top line or 2) Kick him off the first PP unit.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 20, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Capt Kirk! No I'm not in Canada--stuck in San Antonio still, and I hadn't seen the blog entry yet--it just occurred to me when I was chatting with a Wings fan about it all earlier today that Kovalchuk could really use someone like Datsyuk, and Ovechkin might do better with Malkin anyway, so of course I called Team Russia up, and voila! (joke.)

I see big things tomorrow for the Datsyuk - Kovalchuk combination, seriously. I'm betting on Russia to win if the odds are reasonable.

Czech Republic looks great so far, though. This is going to be great stuff tomorrow. 3 p.m. Eastern on NBC, Sunday. Don't miss it.

Posted by: youaresquishy | February 20, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse