Ovechkin Named November's First Star

For the second straight month, the Caps have the NHL's First Star of the Month. Alexander Semin received the top honor for October, and now Alex Ovechkin has been named the league's first star for November after notching 11 goals and 14 assists in 15 games.

When Ovechkin got the news after practice, he screamed (half jokingly) at the top of his lungs, "Whoooooo!"

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 1, 2008; 11:18 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Morning (Injury) Update
Next: Post-Practice Injury Update

Comments

Take that Cindy Crosby and the rest of the Pens...
Now if only the rest of our team could get healthy that'd be great

Posted by: tURBO8 | December 1, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

imagine if he still had semin alongside him for the last 10 games too.

Posted by: rh71 | December 1, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Well deserved.

Posted by: cbs75 | December 1, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

(from previous thread) I think Versus buys the rights to most (if not all) Tuesday night games, then decides which one it wants to show on a given night. At least that's how I understood it. Somebody can clarify if they know.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 1, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Well then Versus needs to add a Versus 2 and Versus 3. This is crap!

Posted by: sargeantmofo | December 1, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Well, I have a spare ticket for Tuesday's game if anybody want to join me. Lee's claimed Thursday's tickets (I think).

Posted by: Steve_R | December 1, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

It's VErsus exclusivity clause. They are the only one's who can show hockey in the US on "their" night, which is tuesday. i think this happens one more time this season.

Posted by: Leeguru | December 1, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Lee, once more on a home game?

Posted by: Steve_R | December 1, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't know. I rememeber the discussion from last time

Posted by: Leeguru | December 1, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I've got one extra seat in 429 if someone's interested.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 1, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Well deserved aware for OV. Once we get this team healthy...look out.

Question for anybody who has been to Toronto...my girlfriend and I are taking a trip up there to see the Caps/Leafs game on Saturday. We're staying a couple blocks from the Arena so I wanted to see if anybody had suggestions on things to do in Toronto.

1) Caps/Leafs game
2) Hockey Hall Of Fame
3) CN Tower

that's all we have so far. Suggestions are welcome!

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 1, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm selling my tix for Thursday if anyone wants them.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | December 1, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't see any drinking local beer in that itinerary

Posted by: Leeguru | December 1, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

So Backstrom or Green for December? I'm hoping for Green, since that would mean he's back! Of course, same would go for Semin, Feds, etc etc etc....

Posted by: TheCapitalist1 | December 1, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping Theodore for December!

Posted by: Baildog | December 1, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

SombreroGuy:
I'm not sure how long you will be in Toronto, or how much time you have to burn, but the HHOF will take you hours. I went through it with my sons (10 and 7 at the time) while in Canada for a hockey tourney and we had to be kicked out because they were closing. If you have been a hockey fan your entire life it is awesome.

When you see the net that has a puck for every goal that Gretzky scored in and around it you will be in awe. Truly puts into perspective how many goals he scored. Watching OV score now, at the rate he does, and realizing he is way behind where Gretzky was at this point in his career puts it into perspective too. Don't get me wrong, OV's hitting is an aspect of the game that Gretzky just couldn't match because of his size, so OV is more exciting in my opinion. However, Gretzky could just find the net. OV would truly benefit from the smaller pads used by the goaltenders back then, but then again, the sticks used in today's game put the old ones to shame too. I guess that just scratches the surface when it comes to discussing who is better, Wayne, OV, Cindy, Evginy, Messier, Lemieux. We just have to appreciate what they have all put on display for us. In the HHOF you will see that although you are a Caps fan, you appreciate the entire NHL.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 1, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Lee, do they serve beer at the HOF? Two birds with one stone that way.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 1, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

A well-deserved honor for Ovie. Nobody has stepped up more on this team recently. Judging by the size of the crowds recently, D.C. is learning the joy of watching the best player in the world in a Capitals jersey. May we never take him for granted!!! Go Caps!

Posted by: dsphvywght | December 1, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Versus' contract states that they get a US exclusivity window, meaning only VS is allowed to show hockey in the US. Usually, this is a Tuesday game that starts between 7 and 9. The Caps only lose two games this year because of this and this is the second. For the other Tuesday games, VS actually either picked the Caps game or picked a Monday exclusive window.

Posted by: koalatek | December 1, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

SombreroGuy, will you be there more than one night? We caught a comedy show at Second City on our non-hockey night in Toronto. It was a blast.

Oh, and on the Versus issue: The NHL needs to insist that any network buying exclusive rights to show professional hockey games is included in the STANDARD cable packages of people in their viewing area. I don't have Versus, and times of tight budgets like these I'm not upgrading to a fancy cable package just to get it. It should be on the NHL to recruit ME as a fan, not on me to have to beg and plead and hunt down the NHL games I want to see.

Posted by: peacefulleigh | December 1, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Re: versus exclusivity

A few weeks back on Gary Bettman's weekly radio show he stated that teams (question was actually related to the Caps first blacked out game) are given the option of changing the game date if they are going to be blacked out and want to televise the game. He implied that the Caps wanted to stick with the date they had.

Don't know if the Count was telling the truth or not, but that is what he said.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | December 1, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@peacefulleigh- so I take it you don't have comcast? That was one of the main reason Comcast lost the lawsuit filed against them by the NFL network, they put VS in their basic tier and NFL network in a special sports package, because they own VS, (and also the Flyers, which is reason enough not to like them.)

Posted by: doncosmic | December 1, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

This franchise had better get 5 stanley cups for Ovie, if Messier has 6, then Ovie deserves at least 5.

Posted by: ergoroc | December 1, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse