Ovechkin: 'Next Game Is Gonna Be Different'

From the D.C. Sports Bog:

There was a lot of talk about luck tonight. Both teams dominated stretches of the game. Both teams had chances to win. Sure, the Penguins earned their final chance by getting on the power play, and sure, Evgeni Malkin bulled his way past Sergei Fedorov to set up the goal, but still, Tom Poti and Shaone Morrisonn both have game-winners in this series, both for the wrong team. There's at least a little bit of randomness in something like that.
Now, if you are of or for the Penguins you say something like "you make your own luck, friend." Here was how Sidney Crosby put it, when asked if the hockey gods were on the Penguins' side.
"Um, maybe," he said. "You've got to work hard to get the bounces, though, and we hit two crossbars the second half of the game or whatever it was. And those go in, and we're not talking about overtime. So we've created a lot of good opportunities, and sometimes they haven't gone in, but they've found a way to even out. So you work hard for those breaks, and that's just the way hockey goes."

Click here to read the rest.

Also, here's how not to react to a loss at home.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  May 9, 2009; 11:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game 5: Penguins 4, Capitals 3, OT
Next: Ovechkin Ties Record, Backstrom Sets One

Comments

Only need to win 2 games -- done that plenty of times!

Posted by: uncatim | May 9, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

New post, same comment.

It's not bad luck. It's the Curse of Scott Stevens.

Oneal

Posted by: TheRealOneal | May 9, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

I've been hearing the "Next Game Is Gonna Be Different" crap for the last couple of games.

Yawn.

Posted by: FancyDan | May 9, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

not going to be able to watch the next game. but i'll be sending good vibes and praying that we make it somehow and force a game 7.

Posted by: jogabonito | May 9, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

jogabonito,
same here-can't watch next game (i have a final) but definately going to be "sending good vibes and praying" for a game 7 :]

Posted by: vt_caps | May 9, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

The Pens have been the dominant team 2 OT wins or not.They've been stronger,quicker to loose pucks and have had the most best chances to score.I feel fortunate that the Caps still have a shot to somehow turn around this series.

Posted by: hotrod2 | May 9, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vt_caps | May 9, 2009 11:29 PM |

maybe it's a good thing not watching game 6, I don't know about you, but I damn near had a heart attack watching tonight's game =)

Posted by: jogabonito | May 9, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Once again I'm going to say it again...The Caps NEED to bring the puck to the NET!!! I've said it throught the whole playoffs, including the rangers series. The first two lines come into the zone everytime and stop and try to make the pretty passing plays, but end up giving the puck away 75 percent of the time. Steck's line has been the best in my opinion this series. They have been the best because they bring the puck into the zone and bring it deep in the zone, and not try to make the pretty play just inside of the blue line. I know I'm not a coach in the NHL, but how can Coach BB not see this. You are very rarley going to get goals in the playoffs from those pretty passing plays. Bring the puck to the net and the first for CRASH the net. Take a hit and go to the net. Get those ugly goals.
Also, Koz is not the right guy to play with ovie and back. They should put something that will go into the corners on that line. Maybe someone like laich.

Posted by: Thomas32 | May 9, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully looking forward to an off season where Nylander, Feds, Flash, Theo, Brash, Fehr, Schultz, and McPhee are fired.

Posted by: FancyDan | May 9, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Time to make a sacrifice to the hockey gods. There have been no fights and no Penguin blood has been drawn in this series. If the Caps hit some Penguin scum hard and storm Fleury's crease with abandon, the gods will smile at the Caps again and give us victory on game 6.

Posted by: Irreverent_inDC | May 9, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

It's never over.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 9, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Im not trying to make excuses, but that non-call on the interference on Gordon right after the Stecks shot was atrocious. Seriously, if he isnt hit there the game keeps going.

Pathetic. Bill McCreary is the worst NHL referee I have ever seen. It is beyond me why this guy is still reffing in the league, let alone the playoffs.

Absolutely, pathetic.

With that said, lets bounce back and take this back home for a game seven. Its out turn to be lucky.

Posted by: digster1013 | May 9, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

It's not over just yet. One thing about this team is certain, they are resilient and they never quit. Monday night will be Pittsburgh's most difficult game to win in this series by far.

I feel for Ovechkin. He has been without question the best player in this series. Even the most optimistic Penguin fan would have to admit as much. However, with the exception of Backstrom and Varlamov he isn't getting a lot of help.

Mike Green needs to step it up and I am sick and tired of the coaches and management defending his mediocre play. He has been playing his worst hockey of the season ever since Game 1 of the Ranger series. He is too good a hockey player to continue with such subpar play. BB needs to stop massaging his ego and put his foot right up Mike's backside. Go Caps!

Posted by: croftonpost | May 9, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

It's never over indeed!

Let's go Caps!!!!!

Posted by: apollak8 | May 9, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

I just want to remind everyone of something from the Rangers series. With the Rags up 3-1, a reporter asked Ovechkin for his thoughts on the season. Ovie gave her a cold look and said, "What? You think series is over?"

Yes, it looks bad. But series is not over.

Posted by: chrisd3 | May 9, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Someone needs to do this in the locker room. lol

Posted by: jogabonito | May 10, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

I've kept faith during tougher times for a long time now, so I'm not giving up on them. Not until the final horn sounds and we're trailing.

Let's Go Caps!!!

Posted by: Osfan092589 | May 10, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game. I love Ovie, and I love the Caps, but as much as it pains me to say it, it's over Johnny. They needed this win like a crackhead needs an intervention. Yeah, and that winning goal was completely offsides and was right after a cap was tripped but whatever, enough with the poor officiating complaints. The bottom line is that these guys can't score enough goals to win, plain and simple. I'm actually glad my final exam on Monday night to spare me from the next game. If Caps make it past this round, I'll be surprised and proved wrong, but for all intended purposes, I'm done. See you all next year. It was a blast!

Posted by: ejohnsto | May 10, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin has not been the best player in the series. That would be Crosby.

Posted by: SC87 | May 10, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

One thing...please stop complaining about the officiating tonight. Ever since Boudreau had his rant after Game 3 (when the officiating was actually horrible) the refs have been getting it as right as they can.

The ONLY reason the trip against Malkin even got called was because it was extremely blatant and it was preventing a quality scoring opportunity. That is the line for what they are going to call in a playoff OT game, get used to it. They let a lot of stuff go both ways tonight and I can honestly say I was happy with the officiating.

If you want to pick something to blame, note how very late in their PP we get control of the puck near center, and instead of taking our time to dump the puck deep to change out the PKers and completely kill the penalty to get it back to even keel 5 on 5 three guys try to get something going up ice while short-handed in OT. It just wasn't a smart play.

Look, we played great in stretches tonight. We got sloppy at the start of the 3rd and lost this game there. The defensive coverage was horrid and they left Varly out to dry. The kid played well tonight I thought, well enough for us to win. Any OT game has the potential for some crazy bounce or deflection to end the game. In truth, it's a pretty high percentage I'd bet.

Teams that have tasted success seem to get bounces. Some of that is just pure luck, some of it is putting themselves in the position to benefit from luck. We are trying to taste that success...it takes time. Everyone needs to step up...when Ovie says it's not over, I believe him. He was unhappy with his play in Pitt, he comes back tonight with 2 goals and a helper. The guy has 10 points in the series (7g, 3a). Backstrom has come to play, Varly is doing all he can.

You want some stats to give you optimism? This Capitals team knows nothing better than how to force a Game 7. Crosby's Pens have never played one. Monday night it's do or die once again. I'm sure the Penguins think it's over...history and all that on their side. They want to think they've outplayed us all series. What will everyone say if we go up there Monday night and stun everyone to bring this back home for a familiar friend, Game 7.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 10, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

The only comment that's necessary is that it's the Curse of Scott Stevens, and there has to be some way to break it.

Oneal

Posted by: TheRealOneal | May 10, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

@ejohnsto

I'm afraid you're right that this series is over. I have zero confidence in the Caps at this point. They can't seem to win in Pittsburgh in this series if their lived depend on it. While the Caps have been good at comebacks, I'm really afraid that Monday's game will be a blowout.

I have another commitment on Monday and will miss most, if not all, of the game. Probably a good thing.

The officials missed a trip call on the Penguin who tripped Semin. Okay, I'll admit Jurcina had a blatant trip but then the penalty that wasn't called on Semin was pretty blatant also.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 10, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

GM has signed Mark Tinordi for Monday night.

Amazing how Caps defense is all of a sudden in need of attention, great job Caps GM, thanks for building such a "solid" team.

Posted by: LarryDavid | May 10, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

I swear I will NEVER ever root for the Penguins for any reason unless they have already been mathematically eliminated from playoff contention and they're playing another one of the Caps rivals. I will even root for them against Philthy and Carolina and New Jersey and the Rangers, all of them teams I dislike.

The old Penguins, from the days of Mario Lemieux, had class. This bunch does not have class. A bunch of complaining, hypocritical jerks. I dislike them more than any other team in any other sport, even the Dallas Cowboys and the NY Yankees.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 10, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Who cares how much you like or dislike any team, I don't.

Posted by: LarryDavid | May 10, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Do the Penguins have the right idea? It seems that Bylsma has more practices for his team than Boudreau. Maybe that's what the Caps need to do in the future -- hold more practices during the playoff season. Not a super hard, killer practice, but a light one to work on fundamentals, like faceoffs and defense against break-aways.

The Caps should study the work habits and coaching habits of all the teams that can advance further than them, and follow those strategies. It is embarrassing that Carolina will likely advance further than them when they're a better team (on paper) than Carolina.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 10, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

@Osfan092589,

I'm glad you're more optimistic about the Caps than I feel. It's good that someone here is optimistic, even though I'm not. I feel pretty bitter at this time. BTW, were you born on Sept 25, 1989? And root for the O's?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 10, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

@croftonpost

I know Green's been "off" this series but who would you put in his place?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 10, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

@apollak8,

Glad you're still optimistic about our chances. I guess I've been burned too much over the years.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 10, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

All of you that are saying that the Caps suck, and there needs to be a purge, are pathetic. You were all enjoying the high life when the Caps were up 2-0 and now the team has got to go.

Two great teams played their 2nd OT game in 4 days. Even yesterday's game was a 1 goal game until 5 minutes were left. Just appreciate the fact that you get to watch this many talented players on the ice at the same time. This series is the biggest showcase of talent since the Oilers/Islanders battles in the early 80's.

If a Pens fan cannot admit that Gordon wasn't interfered with just before the final rush than you are watching the game with blinders on. If the right call is made I might STILL be sitting at Verizon rather than typing this.

I also don't want to read that the Pens big guns come through. Crosby had 0 that is ZERO points and was a -2. Sorry, he didn't show up today.

The Caps have to have a short memory and play great hockey to pull this out, no doubt about it. If they don't I refuse to call them crap because they will have been eliminated by the Team that will probably advance to the Stanley Cup. Just like I feel the Caps will do if they come back on the Pens.

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 10, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Wow CapsFan, you must be a code cracker. I'm actually a gNats fan and love Zubrus, Kozzy and Sloan. Lol, j/k. Obviously.

I am optimistic, I just feel this series could've gone either way to begin with, and now that we're desperate I feel like the boys are gonna treat us to another Game 7.

I hate complaining about the refs, because missed calls happen 10-15 times a game it seems.

Finally, does anybody recall the last time we've scored a goal off the opposing D man? I know the last two losses were off of Mo and Poti, then there was the OT loss in Boston earlier off Mo, but it just seems like our opposition scores sooooo many goals off our D.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | May 10, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Capsfan75

Hey, that's okay. I just have a very positive attitude about the team. Even if this year's season ends next week, I'll still be excited for next year, and while 'satisfied' is not the right word for how I feel about this season's playoffs, it almost is because of some of the firsts this team accomplished. That said, I still think we can win this series. LETS GO CAPS

Posted by: apollak8 | May 10, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse

SC87-"Ovechkin has not been the best player in the series. That would be Crosby." Let me pause a minute while I stop laughing. I'll give you that the Pens have more depth and have two star players to the Caps one, but to say that Crosby has been better in this series than Ovi, are you smoking crack? Guess what, the Caps have to try to contain both Crosby and Malkin. The Pens only have to try to contain Ovi. And yet Ovi has more points than Crosby or Malkin, even though he's getting all of the attention from the Pens.

Posted by: dfe1 | May 10, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

1) fanohock1- I agree with you. While I might not love all of our players and certain ones don't fit the way GMGM thought they might, calling for a purge of um.. half the team or so, is stupid. Anyone who has been around the Caps, or even hockey, long enough knows this is a truly amazing team. I think one of their main issues are their inexperience with the playoffs. This isn't like with the Rangers who had basically zero offense, we don't have a big gap in our team like that. If every amazingly talented team got the cup there would have to be about 3 cups a year.

2) I don't like what I'm hearing/seeing about people throwing things on our home ice. If you love your team, I don't care how frustrated you are, you wont do that. I've been there through Caps heartbreak, if you all think this is bad you should have been with us BO (Before Ovie). Show respect for your team, for your city and for yourselves. Otherwise you are no better than the Rags fans and Philly fans. That is a category I don't want to be in.

3) Someone call a witchdoctor for the Pitt's rink... we need to get rid of the bad ju ju so we can work on breaking the Pens playoff curse.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 10, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry I'm so negative, guys. I've been burned too often.

I'm not ready to purge the whole team, unlike some folks. I do wonder if winning the Conference or working so hard to finish high in the conference is essentially a phyrric victory. Maybe the idea is to start off the first 2/3 of the season in about 6th place (in the playoffs but not at the top). And after that, trade for rental players to upgrade for the post season. That's what Pitt does.

We can't do it since we have money tied up in old vets. My advice is -- don't sign any more vets over age 32 to contracts longer than 2 years.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 10, 2009 1:13 AM | Report abuse

I cant believe SC87 said its annoying that the fans bang on the glass, on the other post.

Are you Cindy's relative or something. Grow a pair and stop posting here cuz you cant post anything outside of laughable. OTOH, keep posting its very entertaining.

Oh, and Ovechkin is definitely the better player. 7 goals and 3 assists in 5 games...please give me Cindy's numbers i know they are not better than that.

Posted by: mikejc80 | May 10, 2009 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Also I would like to mention how big of a stud Backstrom is, cant wait for him to get better.

IMO he is just as good as Crosby, and i am not joking.

Posted by: mikejc80 | May 10, 2009 1:16 AM | Report abuse

@mrszilla

I agree with you -- call a Witch doctor to break the curse on us vs the Pens in the playoffs. I swear we're cursed.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 10, 2009 1:16 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

I really hate to see the Pens advance to the Stanley Cup since I hate them so much. But that will probably happen, unfortunately. Why are we always on the wrong side of these things? We've lost more playoff series to the eventually Stanley Cup finalist. Should the Pens have really won the Conference this year, with all the talent they have?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 10, 2009 1:19 AM | Report abuse

@TheRealOneal

Why is it the Curse of Scott Stevens, anyway? I know he was a good player, not always liked by Caps fans. And he was involved in the limousine incident. And the Caps didn't match the offer when he was eligible for free agency. And he did better with his new team.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 10, 2009 1:21 AM | Report abuse

LOL Backstrom is as good as Crosby? Yeah, and Varlamov is as good as Luongo? HAHAHA!

Posted by: SC87 | May 10, 2009 1:21 AM | Report abuse

mikejc, who cares about stats, it's the other little things that Ovechkin doesn't do and Crosby does that makes him way better of a player. Ovechkin will never win anything, you don't win with guys like this. Just ask the Canucks when they had Bure.

Posted by: SC87 | May 10, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse

@uncatim

On winning the next 2 games,

Glad you're more optimistic about the Caps chances than I am.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 10, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse

@Pensfan

HA! HA! Are you kidding? We beat Luongo 5-1 - a wonderful game!

Posted by: plinkwired | May 10, 2009 1:42 AM | Report abuse

hey SC87! remember last year when we beat you handily to win the cup. That was awesome! Go Wings.

Come on Caps you can beat these guys! We're all tired of hearing about the Pens.

Posted by: hockeytownUSA | May 10, 2009 2:36 AM | Report abuse

It's pretty simple. I've been watching McCreary referee for years. He hates Russian players in general and Sergei Fedorov in particular. He always calls games against any team for which Fedorov plays. Whenever I see that he is the referee now I know the Caps will not get an even break. Don't think the powers that be in the NHL don't realize this is the case.

Posted by: dwollkind | May 10, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

@dwolkind - Oh, please. Your logic makes no sense, since a RUSSIAN (Malkin) benefited from McCreary's call.

Keep whining about the officiating. Interesting that nothing was said about Pittsburgh having more power plays and that changing the game when Washington won Games One and Two...

Posted by: malkinshockeyskates | May 10, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC87 | May 10, 2009 1:23 AM

Your hatred of Russians makes you a hypocrite, since you love Malkin. Penwhines fan.

@ malkinshockeyskates: You crappy team had the advantage in PP's through the first two games and yet your whiny captain and whiny coach whined about them not getting more pp's. You and the rest of the trolls are pathetic.

Posted by: Chase4 | May 10, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Btw, penwhines fan: Ovy hits, backchecks, breaks up passes, prevents breakaways. Crysby cherry picks and gets secondary assists. Ovy's goals and assist totals are nearly identical. Take off the scheisse colored glasses.

Posted by: Chase4 | May 10, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse