Ovechkin on his hat trick and the Caps' win

Penguins Coach Dan Bylsma might not have wanted to blame the weather for his team's loss, but Alex Ovechkin had no qualms about pointing a finger at the snow for Washington's sluggish start in an eventual 5-4 win.

"I think it's the weather," said Ovechkin, who got to wear the hard hat after his third goal sent the game to overtime. "The crowd wasn't getting into it during the first period. You can see the crowd pushing us in the third period, and we just keep going, keep going and it's pretty sick."

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 7, 2010; 3:41 PM ET
 | Tags: Alex Ovechkin, Pittsburgh Penguins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin has a hat trick in Caps' OT win over Pens
Next: Eric Fehr, Mike Knuble on goals in win vs. Pens

Comments

It's almost like he's talking to the fans. "You're the seventh man, and you showed up late today, but got the job done". And he's right!

Posted by: PonMan | February 7, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I HEART Ovi!!!!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | February 7, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

snow or no snow, it seems the Caps always start slow when playing early games.

Posted by: zyvo23 | February 7, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

What a game.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 7, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Ovie keeps stepping it up to new levels. He really plays big in the big games. I need to get a C sewn onto my jersey. I also need to get my father a nitro glycerin tablet before he has another heart attack. This game just about did him in.

Go CAPS!!!!

Posted by: crooks_c | February 7, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Great win! Lets Go Capitals!

Posted by: mjwies11 | February 7, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Guess who walked 45 blocks to see Ovi's hat trick against Cindy...me,me,me... I predicted a hat trick in previous blog.
Alrigh, I didn't walk, but I owe my brother a favor for giving me a ride. Glad I was there, pretty excited 3rd period. Let's go get 15 vs the Habs.

Posted by: scropion | February 7, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Our Eastern C. lead is 14 over NJ Devils! But I think NJ still has two games in hand.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 7, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Caps have started slow the last 4 games. I swear, when the Pens were up 4-1 I have never heard VC any quieter -- Like a church. But the third period was absolutely off the charts! Ovi is right, the crowd was pushing the team and the team came through.

We were all glad to see Orpik get his due, and for the refs to finally get one right.

What a game!

Posted by: Sonyask | February 7, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I trust that no one got hurt getting to or from the game. I made it into the seats a minute thirty into the first due to a slow metro, but it was very easy getting home.

Boy am I glad that the posters from the weather blogs have no reason to come back here and scold Ted, Bettman, and NBC for playing the game today. Please!

Fantastic win!

Posted by: Sonyask | February 7, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I really hope that Cindy was not too upset about all the hats on the ice. To his credit, I did not see him complain to the refs at all about the hats! Little Cindy is really growing up right before our eyes.

Posted by: crooks_c | February 7, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Do any one know why some of the pens players didn't want to come off the ice at the end of the 2nd period

Posted by: scropion | February 7, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Rule 60.1 "A 'high stick' is one which is carried above the height of the opponent’s shoulders. Players and goalkeepers must be in control and responsible for their stick. However, a player or goalkeeper is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion. A wild swing at a bouncing puck would not be considered a normal windup or follow through and any contact to an opponent above the height of the shoulders shall be penalized accordingly."

Rule 60.2 "Any contact made by a stick on an opponent above the shoulders is prohibited and a minor penalty shall be imposed."

Semin's stick may have helped lift Orpik's stick into Semin's face at the very end of Orpik's swing of his stick, but Orpik's stick was clearly already above Semin's shoulders and right next to Semin's face before Semin even started to lift his stick up, and Orpik is responsible for his stick.

Now, I am sure this rule is not interpreted so that it includes what Dino Ciccarelli used to do on occasion, which was to grab an opponent's stick and ram it into his own face. Or maybe in that case, the appropriate thing to do would be to call Dino for holding the stick, and maybe there is some rule, written or unwritten, that says if a player's penalty is the sole cause of what would otherwise be his opponent's penalty, you don't call the opponent's penalty.

But this wasn't that kind of thing. Semin didn't hold onto a stick or otherwise violate any rule and got sticked in the face by his opponent's stick that said opponent was by his own free will holding above Semin's shoulders right next to Semin's face. The way I read the Rulebook, that's a mandatory call, even if Semin intentionally takes his own stick and uses it to nudge his opponent's stick into his own face.

If Orpik's stick is, say, on the ice, and Semin lifts Orpik's stick all the way up to his own face, maybe that's not high-sticking--I don't actually know what the right call is in that case. But that wasn't what happened. The rule seems to me to have been clearly designed to discourage folks from holding their sticks high in the first place, so if you do that, and it hits someone, you get penalized, even if it's an accident and even if you didn't want to hit anyone.

Posted by: youaresquishy | February 7, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Is this that Ovechkin feller they are always talking about? I hear he's pretty good.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | February 7, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Bears rally to beat the Baby Pens 5-4. Mathieu Perreault had a hat trick.

Posted by: scropion | February 7, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I have to point at the refs for waking the crowd up. Yeah, they were quiet - until the refing just got so unbalanced and out of control that the crowd got ticked off, and that was it.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 7, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

OV should get credit for the OT goal, Knuble didn't touch the puck.

Posted by: FishCaps | February 7, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

OV should get credit for the OT goal, Knuble didn't touch it.

Posted by: FishCaps | February 7, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

That game made my week! As a Caps fan, I had this bad feeling in my gut, just thinking of the Pens snapping the Caps' winning streak. I couldn't believe the Caps went down 4-1. I was cursing at my TV for the first 2 periods. Then I saw Ovie get mad. One of the best 3rd periods ever! I literally could not stop thinking or talking about it, even during the Super Bowl. Caps sure made me a happy man yesterday. Go CAPS!!!

Posted by: rconner9 | February 8, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse