Ovechkin on spraying young Habs fan with ice: 'I just do it all the time'

Today Alex Ovechkin responded to the latest controversy in a relatively tame Caps-Habs series, explaining that when he sprayed ice onto a young Montreal flagbearer before Game 4, he didn't mean anything by it.

"I just do it all the time," Ovechkin said with a grin. "The kid was on the boards. I think he's pretty happy about it. "

And indeed, Ovechkin does the same thing every game: He circles the ice, sprints across it and sprays snow into (and often over) the boards before taking a seat at the end of the bench.

Mike Wilbon sides with Ovechkin, pointing out that any kid would be lucky to tell their friends that story: "The point is, aren't you supposed to be thrilled if a future Hall of Famer like Ovechkin, the most exciting player in the league, sprays you with some ice shavings? That was cool when I grew up."

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 23, 2010; 12:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Green nominated for Norris Trophy
Next: Caps won't look ahead until they're done with Montreal

Comments

Little Kid? I thought that was Brian Gionta...

Posted by: 08WashCaps19 | April 23, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

This is why the press stinks. There has to be 500 other stories to strike up than this...puh-lease...

I think it would have been great if Ovie tried to stop and just railed him along the wall.

Now that would be a story!

Posted by: SoaringCaps | April 23, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

When is the skate today so we can get some info on that?

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

It has been unbelievable how much press things other than the game itself have gotten from "that country above the US". It all comes off as whiney and pretentious. If that was their goal, they succeeded. Can't wait to end the series tonight and not have to hear thier complaining anymore up there.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 23, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I've seen Chimera do it as well during warm ups. He'll spray ice over the boards, too. Honestly, I think its funny and I'm certain is an acceptable way of interacting with the fans, just like tossing the puck after winning a game star. It doesn't matter whether you are a kid or adult, Caps fan or not. It is a hockey thing. Of all the people who supposedly know everything about hockey, it is hard to imagine a Canadian characterize an ice spray as malicious. Ovie haters will say anything to perpetuate their hate. Pathetic!

Posted by: AADCDERM | April 23, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. Knowing kids that age, I bet the kid thought it was the coolest thing in the world.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 23, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Heck, if I was at Kettler and Ovi sprayed me when he stopped I'd be telling everyone about it.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

this whole storyline has got to be one of the STUPIDEST "controversies" in professional sports.

Posted by: doughless | April 23, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Best line on Nhl live. knuble has a townhouse in the crease

Posted by: samb99 | April 23, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Next thing you know, one of those whiney Canadians will be complaining about hats on the ice after a hat trick. =X

Oh, never mind.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 23, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Ho hum.... (yawn)

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 23, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

The Caps should start a promotion at home games next year. 1 Young Fan gets to stand in that spot and let Ovie spray him before the game.

Little kids would be lining up to be the lucky one.

Posted by: colerwilson | April 23, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Little kids? Heck the adults would be lining up for that chance :) LOL

Posted by: hart2014 | April 23, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

@wtf_e_fehr

I think I read these boards too much. Every time I see him on the ice or when Joe B/Locker say his name, my brain says, "Wtf?"

Posted by: EricinReston | April 23, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

This is as silly as most of the other "bulletin board" items reported in the press. Then again, fans can get pretty ridiculous with their vitriolic Ovie-Sid comparisons. Isn't it enough to just hate the Penguins and every other team that stands in the Caps' way to Lord Stanley's trophy?

Posted by: McKinley2 | April 23, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

if the Post would quit bringing it up, it would then become a nonstory and fade away...crap journalism.

Posted by: outrbnksm | April 23, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if the pre-game ceremonies got in the way of the hockey game. Dumb Canadian fans. OV does this EVRY game, and the kid was in his way....Who cares?!

Posted by: scottiemac3 | April 23, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I think the Post is trying to point out that it IS a non-story. Though whether making a news post about the non-newsworthiness of supposed news really accomplishes anything is a fair question, not to mention confusing. :)

Posted by: blackjack65 | April 23, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Another item of non-news, right down there with the stories about Amy Winehouse's latest tattoo, Paris Hilton's latest facial experession, and the color of Britney Spears' panties.

Is the hockey media totally incapable of finding a storyline in the NHL, other than the tired rant of: "Ovechkin is a Pirate/Ruffian/Disrespecter Of Hockey Traditions/Thug/Public Menace/All Of The Above"?

Please???

C'mon, guys, I've actually met Alex on more than one occasion, and found him to be level-headed, warm, funny, genuine, and highly approachable in-person.

Think about it: You're in your early twenties, making piles of money playing a game you love, and quite possibly doing it better than anyone ever has. The public--at least the part of it that matters--loves you. I defy anyone to tell me that, under similar circumstances, they wouldn't ever cut loose in some way from time to time. We should be thankful that this is about as "bad" as it gets with our Ovie.

Consider the alternative: We could have been stuck with a guy who--despite being highly paid--lives in someone else's basement, has all the personality of a block of tofu, seems physically unable to give credit when it is due a worthy adversary, and resorts to numerous and sundry cheap shots when things don't go his way.

Or worse, someone whose misbehavior isn't limited to random snow showers and driving exotic cars as they should be driven.

I'm waiting...

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 23, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

He's evil, evil!, EVIL!!!

Besides, if Crosby had done it, it wouldn't have been a spray of jagged ice shavings, but rather butterflies and bluebirds.

Posted by: fjc33 | April 23, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Jagged ice shavings? are you serious fjc33?
Anyways, that kid's favorite player is probably Alex Ovechkin before that happened and definitely his favorite player. Canada needs to lighten up, ay

Posted by: covertops26 | April 23, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

covertops26 - it's "eh". I think "ay" is Pirate.
Go Caps!!!

Posted by: j3rockstar | April 23, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Anybody who thinks there is some sort of story here has spent NO time around youth hockey.

If the kid is not thrilled he has spent no time in youth hockey.

Posted by: LostOak | April 23, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Chalk it up to roid rage. (oooo, boo, hiss!)

Posted by: sandyflee | April 23, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

He's evil, evil!, EVIL!!!

Besides, if Crosby had done it, it wouldn't have been a spray of jagged ice
shavings, but rather butterflies and
bluebirds.

Posted by: fjc33 | April 23, 2010 1:37 PM

-----------------------------

@fjc33:

If you post was--as I am hoping--sarcastic, please use the "sarcasmé" ([Alt+ 0216] on Windows machines) at the beginning and end of a passage that is meant to be spoken in a sarcastic voice, viz.:

Ø "Gee, Mr. Cherry, that sure is a swell suit you're wearing!" Ø

The beauty of the "sarcasmé" is that it enables a person to convey sarcasm in the written word, independent of context.

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 23, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Also, I think j3rockstar is partly right:

"Eh?" is Canadian--e.g.:"Maine should be Ours, eh?"

"Ahrr" is Pirate--e.g.:"I'll give 40,000 Spanish doubloons for an illegal copy of Avatar, Ahrrr!"

OK, then...

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 23, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40 - I read @fjc33's post as sarcastic from the get-go, what with Crosby and the butterflies and bluebirds and all...

Posted by: irockthered | April 23, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts...

1) So, let me see if I understand something... I'm a little slow to begin with and it's Friday so I'm especially stupid today. It's *not* a story worth noting (Just a bunch of rabble rousers) when Canadien fans boo the US National Anthem (as they did in droves last year against Boston and a little this year against Washington) BUT it is a national crisis when Ovechkin sprays the leg pads of a kid dressed as a goaltender who is standing at the door to the Caps' bench while Ovechkin completes a move he makes before every game regardless of if it's in DC or on the road? Well, at least the Canadian media is consistent... I guess.

2) How about someone on here respond to the common theme of The Offended to Ovechkin's move -- *IF* Ovechkin had lost an edge, he would have barrelled into the boards, crushing the kid, causing the kid to, at best, break a leg (or at worst, his neck) thereby destroying the kid's life forever and giving the NHL (and hockey) a black eye forever. This is just another sign of Ovechkin's recklessness on the ice and disregard for anything other than himself (which he doesn't seem to regard all that well or else he wouldn't play so recklessly). (Yes, the statement I just posted is a composite of all the statements of people who are offended at this. I think it's a perfectly rationale reaction to this. Of course, when you look at many of the people who posted a comment like it, you'll see they referred to the Matt Cooke hit as "a legal hockey play" and people should grow up and realize "hockey is a tough sport." But, hey, why let a little logic get in the way, right?)

Posted by: Matt23185 | April 23, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Didn't the Canadians boo the US amthem..
He was just having fun. i think we except a bit to much from athletes at times, i'm sure he didn't think about the fact the kid was hold a Canadian flag at the time.

This is such a non story.

Posted by: dean4 | April 23, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

just to clear it up...it wasn't a Canadian flag...it was a Canadiens flag (the team, not the country).

ESPN boards are talking about Ovie being a (expletive) for spraying the kid. I agree with the rest here...it's a nonissue. Heck, if Crosby did this exact thing, it would still be a nonissue to me. Kid gets iced...that's pretty cool in my book. And it being Ovie is the cherry on top.

Posted by: rocketsREDglare | April 23, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

@IRTR--I know, I'm just havin' fun with fjc33 ;^D

Seriously, though, the sarcasmé is...well, just plain cool!

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 23, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Why doesn't someone interview the kid and hear what he has to say.

Posted by: Shiba-fussa | April 23, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

^ Exactly... a good reporter would get the kid's comments :)

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | April 23, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Desperation.

Posted by: NewThoughts | April 23, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Thanks again for taking our Minor League Baseball Team
Have A Good Week-End
A Canadian in Montreal

Posted by: michael205s | April 23, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

This BS is all because OV is Russian!!! If he was Canadian, he would be written up as being great for the game and a welcome relief to the no personality league!!!
The truth is that he truly is a welcome relief and great for the game!! Too bad the country that claims it loves hockey sooo much can't put aside its "anti everything not canadian" mentality to see what a joy this guy is and how much he loves playing the GAME!!!!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | April 23, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks again for taking our Minor League Baseball Team
Have A Good Week-End
A Canadian in Montreal

Posted by: michael205s | April 23, 2010 6:20 PM
=========================
The truth is that it takes a major league country to have a major league team!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | April 23, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse
---------------------
Do you how gay that sounds?

Posted by: bal503 | April 23, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse