Ovechkin on the ice at practice

Alex Ovechkin, who is battling a sore right knee, was among the first Caps on the ice for practice this morning. He's not assigned to a forward line, however. Instead, he's wearing an orange jersey, which means "no contact."

I'll hope to have some video soon.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 2, 2009; 10:26 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning roundup: NHL hits back
Next: Ovechkin skates, new lines

Comments

to carry over my comment from the last post:

mmmmm nachos

Posted by: superpaqman | December 2, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

P.S. Good job Tarik, way to be Jhonny on the spot with the breaking updates.

Posted by: superpaqman | December 2, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

You are right CapsChick. Coke & nachos for Ovi & superpaqman, beer for me.

Posted by: uncatim | December 2, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Maybe they're worried he'll hit someone too hard. :-)

Posted by: matucker | December 2, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

BetterOffWithFedorov: I hope you do not officiate any games that I coach. Yes, the minor is assessed based on the leg trip, but the 5 minute major and game misconduct are supposed to be based on intent. Was the intent to injure, or did they just get caught out of position? In youth hockey a game misconduct also means they automatically miss the next game. In the NHL intent determines suspension. Again, I hope you don't officiate any of our games because if you hand out 5 minute majors and a game misconduct for a basic leg trip you are not applying rules properly.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 2, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

From previous short thread:

This is the kind of crap being spread on the TSN boards: "If you took away Ovie's skill and his status in the NHL and just watched him skate around and throw body-checks he would be a Russian version of Patrick Kaleta. No one likes Kaleta they say he is a pest that hits to hurt....his checks are exactly like Ovie's just the league and the fans look the other way bceause Ovie is a superstar. Since day one in the NHL every single check AO has delivered could be flagged for Charging or Boarding."

"If you took away Ovie's skill and his status in the NHL and just watched him skate around and throw body-checks he would be a Russian version of Patrick Kaleta." WHAT THE HECK? The only reason he has the status in the NHL he does have is because of this skill. If you take any player's skill away they become expendable. I can't believe some dislike Ovi this bad. Um, dah, if you take Crosby's skill away, he wouldn't be a good hockey player, dah.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 2, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Also from previous short thread:

To piggy back on roccky's complaint about Cooke. Not only did he not receive a penalty or suspension for ending Donovan's season (possibly career they are saying too), followed up by a knee on knee to Erik Cole the very next night, and nothing.

The ONLY reason I am OK with Ovi getting a suspension is maybe non-Ovi fans will get pacified and he can just move on. I don't think he will change his game, nor should he. He is an exciting hockey player. Joe B said that it looked like the Beatles (famous rock n roll band for you really young people) were staying in Ovi's hotel in Montreal. Joe B even said people were chanting his name on the street

Finally, I don't agree with it, but maybe, just maybe, the NHL has chosen to take this opportunity to send a message to the rest of the league by suspending one of the biggest names in the league. There have been a lot of superstars knocked out of line-ups by questionable hits this season. For the record, I believe Ovi's calls were subjective ones that could have gone either way. I DO NOT think Ovi is a dirty player. Just a player with dirty and sick skills.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 2, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I'll probably be banished from this board, but below is the reason why I enjoy heading over to the Pensblog:

"Our sentiments toward Ovie are clear: He is a Capitals player, so we despise him. But he is hands-down the most exciting player in the National Hockey League. If we had to convince a group of extraterrestrials that hockey is a fast-paced, high-energy sport in order to save the planet, we would show them Ovechkin. Just as JAPERS RINK feels about Crosby, we don't have a love fest for Ovechkin, but we respect the talent that is there."

"And just have to say it: Crosby and Malkin can't play Ovechkin's game. Ovechkin can't play Malkin or Crosby's game.
It's ridiculous to have comparisons anymore."

They're very opinionated, but also objective. And when they rip on other teams/players (Caps included) it's pretty hilarious.

BTdubs: F the Pens.

Posted by: Fro_ | December 2, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

@fro--enjoyed the quote. I don't have the stomach to go to their blogs but nice to know that there is recognition of Ovi's talent and not just hate. I believe the same is true here regarding their stars.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 2, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, I don't see that recognition from most Caps "fans" on message boards or at bars around town. I find that these "fans" prefer to spout off slurs against Crosby and others than appreciate the fact that they are great players in league outside of Ovechkin.

Posted by: LonnieBeale1 | December 2, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

@lonniebeale1--I've read lots of support for the talent of Crosby and Malkin on this board notwithstanding the few who come on here to rant or indeed the many Pens trolls. I have often made the point that I think they are great players--can't stand them or the rest of the Pens--but I look forward to many many exciting games in the future between the teams and stars. Ovi vs Crosby is like the yin/yang in the hockey world. Love the contrast between them. Love the skill level. Love the way they each bring out the best in each other. Love when we annihilate them. Hate it when they annihilate us. Looking forward to annihilating them in the playoffs.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 2, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

but does OV know his orange jersey means no contact???

Posted by: deadskin | December 2, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1: First of all there is a difference in the rules between the NHL and USA hockey in regards to kneeing. In the NHL when a player has been assessed a major penalty for kneeing he shall also be assessed a game misconduct (I posted the NHL rule in a previous thread). It is automatic. In USA hockey that is not the case. A single major for kneeing does not carry an automatic game misconduct.

In USA hockey a major plus a game misconduct shall be assessed whenever an opponent is injured as a result of kneeing. The USA hockey casebook states that if the knee is violently swung with the obvious intent of making a high degree of physical contact a major penalty shall be assessed (again IMHO not the case in this situation). Next the unwritten rule is to use judgement. If deemed to be reckless and/or dangerous, assess a major, if not assess a minor. IMHO in this case it was borderline. So, I support either call (major or minor).

Just like a coach going off half cocked without a full understanding of the rules. :)

Seriously, I appreciate your work with grass roots hockey. That's the way to get the sport to grow in this country and as well all know it is a great game. Please be responsible and don't send the message that it's okay to be reckless and dangerous on the ice.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | December 2, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse