Ovechkin out tonight in New Jersey

Alex Ovechkin will miss his sixth straight game tonight, Coach Bruce Boudreau confirmed moments ago. And although the team still hasn't announced when he'll return, all indications are that No. 8 will be back in the lineup Tuesday at Madison Square Garden (after getting tomorrow off and a full practice Monday).

"He's out, but he's very close to playing," Boudreau said. "He's not ready."

Boudreau wouldn't say what his lineup will look like minus Ovechkin and Mike Knuble against the Devils at Prudential Center, but we'll get a clue during warmups. So I'll post the lines and pairings then.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 14, 2009; 5:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin: 'You never know'
Next: Tonight's lineup: Caps at Devils

Comments

repost from last thread -

Re Flash -- he was interviewed earlier this week without his pads - he's seriously been hitting the iron. Part of his problem in the past is that he was easily knocked off the puck, which was partly due to a relatively slight build. He looks like he's added about 15 - 20 lbs.

Re MP - how good is he at FO's -- this is more directed at Hershey folks - he's at 44% up here but I would think he'll be low for awhile as he gets used to the better competition and people's tendencies.

Posted by: hook99 | November 14, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Probably for the best regarding Ovi. Hopefully team will be seeking a little revenge after last week.

Posted by: hook99 | November 14, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Perrault started off in the 60s on faceoffs after the call up, but has had much less luck since. Seems like the team has been down more of late on face offs.

Posted by: Sonyask | November 14, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

If he's not ready now, Tuesday won't make much of a difference. This is getting ridiculous. Either get him in the lineup or tell us this is a more serious problem then what they're saying.

Posted by: southside721 | November 14, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Good. Gives Alex 3 more days to heal. We're doing quite well without him and proving to all those dorks that we're not just Washington Ovechkins. This injury might be a blessing in disguise as it has given our team's players more confidence in their ability. They don't always have to wait for Ovie to do something.

@ hook99

I've noticed that also. Flash looks much bigger and stronger this season.

Posted by: ranndino | November 14, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

@Sonyask: I disagree with you regarding the faceoffs. Each of the past two games, I think Morrison has been excellent on draws. Steckel usually wins big draws in the defensive zone, although his overall percentage is probably been lower than usual in the past few games. I think the Caps as a whole are fine in the faceoff department.

Posted by: blindskateluke | November 14, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Southside, are you a Dr? How else could you conclude that 48 hours isn't enough time to heal? It's the NHL, you are going to just have to get used to not knowing about injuries.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 14, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh no, I was hoping Ovi would play. No Ovi, no Knuble, no Varly (yes at this point I trust Varly more than Theo). Either the rest will be inspired and perform beyond what they even thought was their best, or they will crumble and self-destruct.

Pattern that should have you worried:

We score, Theo lets one in. We score again, Theo lets another one in and so on.

I need a glimmer of hope here. Maybe it's time for the Devil's streak to end?

Posted by: caraveli | November 14, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Glimmer of hope--they play responsibly like they did last night. Yes NJ is a stronger team but our entire defense was strong last night--and managed some offensive too. Theo has something to prove and he has been consistent at times too. No reason to assume the worst. It will be good to see if they can step it up even more. GO CAPS!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 14, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I mean stronger team than the Wilds. We are as strong in my view but with a different style. I liked last night how well they handled a similar defensive system last night. So I hope they bring it to the Devils.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 14, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

MAn, I really like this kid

Posted by: Chad8 | November 14, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Where the H is everybody? Awfully quiet in here.

Posted by: Chad8 | November 14, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Testing testing - no posts from the game?

Posted by: Jonathan6 | November 14, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

POSTGAME THOUGHTS:
Ok so there must've been some computer glitches or all of you are really good psychics and knew this was coming tonight. Yikes LMAO. Ok a promising start turned into a clunker. It felt like Deja Vu taking the lead - the Devs get their first goal off a Caps D and then from there it was bad news.

I didn't see the 4th goal - and I'm not faulting Theodore. The Devils caught some breaks and they've been hot and the Caps got them at a hot time and not having some key players is a factor.

Devils may have the head to head battles won but if we make the playoffs and play them - I'd like to see what happens when we're at full health.

Goaltending - again not faulting Theo for the loss - but at some point if they can spank Nylander aside - I'd like to see Neuvirth come up and get some action this year just to see him gain more experience. We have to groom him. Just a curious thought.

The theme from tonight's game: S*** happens. Spit out your frustration and then get over it.

On to the Big Apple as Ovie returns.

Ice Breakers Goal Shakers