Ovechkin: 'Probably a week'

Alex Ovechkin returned to the ice today, skating at the end of the Caps' practice and again for about 15 minutes with Mark Nemish. He took some wrist shots, did a little stickhandling and carried his stick in his left hand the entire time he was out there.

"I feel much better right now," Ovechkin said. "I hope soon."

From the sounds of it, Ovechkin and team officials expect the two-time MVP to miss Wednesday's game. But after that, no one is willing to guess.

"I wish it was going to be tomorrow," Ovechkin said. "I need to make sure I'm good and my body feels good. Probably a week. We'll see."

As for a report that came out yesterday quoting Ovechkin saying he will miss "4-5 weeks," Ovechkin said: "I was just joking."

Ovechkin added that he has improved markedly from Thursday -- the last time he skated -- to today.

"This is progress, I think; I'm kind of happy about it," he said.

Ovechkin also said that he didn't feel any pain while taking shots, though he admitted that he wasn't putting too much on them.

"It was no pain," he said. "It was easy shots, not hard. I don't want to rush my body to take some real hard slap shot or wrist shot. I'm just getting used to it."

Asked whether he's concerned about getting hit, he said, "I can [have] contact, it's all about moves."

That -- and the fact that he motioned to his left pectoral/shoulder area twice during the interview -- suggests that he's got a muscle strain and not does not have any structural damage in his shoulder.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 9, 2009; 1:17 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video of Ovechkin skating, shooting
Next: McPhee on Nyls: 'There's some things that are going on' (updated)

Comments

Good news, get it 100% OV.

Posted by: Chad8 | November 9, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Good news.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 9, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I do not believe it is a shoulder injury. I think he strained or partially tore his pectoral muscle by the way he was grabbing it. Not his shoulder.

Posted by: JWBessling | November 9, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm ready.

Machine.

Posted by: saintex | November 9, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

sounds good...

with better defense than the last time, the Caps should handle the Isles well w/o Ovie.

the Wild score very infrequently, so same recipe should help propel the boys to a win at home Friday.

That means rest up Ovie we need you.

Posted by: netminder71 | November 9, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Is this Nylander situation setting something up for Forsberg? just thinking out loud

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 9, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

There is GM talking about Nyles....apparently something is in the works and he doesnt want to talk until tomorrow.

Posted by: ThePat | November 9, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I have to think that Forsberg is at least in the discussion.

Posted by: JSchon | November 9, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 9, 2009 1:40 PM |

Some seem to think it is, but who really knows.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 9, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Forsberg is saying he will have an anouncement by this weekend- may just be coincidence.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 9, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow what is the point of GMGM giving a conference on Nyls just to say I will talk to you tomorrow? Caps have not handled this situation well from what I can tell...I feel like Nyls has been punished for something completely out of his control...not that I actually know whats going on :)

Posted by: capscoach | November 9, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I posted about two weeks ago that Versus announcers last time Caps were on said Caps were on short list for Forsberg's services. Then I put last night, "What about Forsberg on Caps?" and several were against. Doesn't someone here routinely post from Sweden? Would Forsberg help?

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 9, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Forsberg healthy would be more than awesome. Those that have seen him says he looks great.

Posted by: JSchon | November 9, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Forsberg- who knows how his legs are? Not sure we need another aging center, but his experience and leadership may help a young locker room.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 9, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Forsberg would guarantee 3 scoring lines every night.

Ovi/Backstrom/Knuble
Flash/Forsberg/Semin
Flash/Mo/Laich

Or any combination of those 9. Boudreau would be a kid in a candy store.

Posted by: JSchon | November 9, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Reading between the lines, sometime in the next 24 hours, Nylander's next team will be known. Then GMGM will give a press conference describing how much he dislikes Nylander.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | November 9, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I have been calling for Forsberg since the rumor broke a month or two ago. At a fair price (think league minimum), Forsberg would be an exceptional pick-up. If not only for the giant PP boost a team would get from him. Add that with his leadership, two-way play, and mentor to Backstrom, and we've got a good signing.

Even if he does re-injure that thing he calls a foot, place him on LTIR, get the cap space back, and we still have a great leadership/locker room presence.

Win-win. (Again, I emphasize "fair price.")

Posted by: richmondphil | November 9, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Ooop, Flash wouldnt play on 2 lines...

Posted by: JSchon | November 9, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

To me adding Forsberg is very similar to the Caps pulling Bellows out of Germany to make their Cup run in '98. For a minimal price he's definitely worth it.

Posted by: ThePat | November 9, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

In regards to Forsberg, with B-Mo generally playing pretty well, I'm not sure if another center is a pressing need for the Caps?

Posted by: cainoo7x | November 9, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

If the price is reasonable - i'd like to see Forsberg here...we still need a defenseman.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 9, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cainoo7x | November 9, 2009 2:00 PM |

Forsberg is worth a fair price online just for the PP.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 9, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Intersting parallel for sure with Nylander's having cleared waivers and Forsberg apparently making his decision as to which league and/or team he was entertaining the option of playing with. I agree with richmondphil that he's got potential to help the club if the price is right... one way or another, I'm looking forward to the Nylander chapter coming to an end.

Posted by: Chad8 | November 9, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Holy firefox spellcheck, "online" is supposed to be "alone."

Posted by: richmondphil | November 9, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Forsberg is not a need but a luxury, an embarrassment of riches.

The Penguins are a very good team, why? They are dominant down the middle despite having less than stellar wings.

Adding a Forsberg makes us strong down the middle, plus Forsberg was one of the best two-way gritty, borderline dirty players ever, I'm sure he hasnt gotten soft.

Posted by: JSchon | November 9, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

"The back to back losses show the Sabres, although showing a few noticeable improvements in regards to grit, physical and mental toughness, proved that they still have some of the trademark softness that’s plagued them over the past two years.

For example, in Friday’s game in Buffalo, Montador and Flyers pugilist Dan Carcillo nearly came to blows late in the second period. In the penalty box, Carcillo was overheard threatening to exact retribution if Patrick Kaleta didn’t stop taking runs at Mike Richards. Now, at this point, assuming Montador received this message and shared it with the rest of the team, the Sabres had two real options. First, they could have told Carcillo in effect to screw off, and continued attempting to hit Richards whenever they could, and if Carcillo, or any other Flyer stepped over the line, Buffalo would respond in kind with a passionate beat down."

I love stories like these.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 9, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Nyls is studying an offer via the Caps from a European club (KHL). He has until midnight to decide if he accepts which he probably will.
It will be for the best for all parties. The Caps management of this whole situation has been far from stellar. I doubt that GMGM will reveal exactly what happened as there is nothing to gain. He risks sounding vindictive. I also doubt that Nyls will say anything either unless he wishes to set the record straight. This may come a bit later via a russian or swedish newspaper.

Posted by: atybat | November 9, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't get why everyone blames the Caps re: Circles. 1) we barely know anything of what is going on behind the scenes 2) how could you forgot how irritating it is to see him skate so many circles in the zone?

Posted by: ralph4100 | November 9, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

only his hairdresser knows for sure.

Posted by: Sonyask | November 9, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know why my post went to be approved instead of just being added?

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 9, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

atybat -
The response should read "We know" in lieu of "I doubt". It would seem appropriate that a hockey beat writer would jump in and dig up and print a story about this. Locally, I don't see it happen. Did any local writer produce the real in depth story on Eminger, Kolzig, Langway, etc..., no.

For those of you who forget, Nyls was a hard, good dedicated teammate. He played for over a month with basically one shoulder before going on LTIR a couple years ago. His decision to get surgery was probably what started this whole debacle.

My opinion of McPhee is that he is a very good GM. However, his biggest weakness it properly handling situations like Nylander's. Maybe one day, he'll decide to address this deficiency with more grace and flexibility.

Michael, best of luck to wherever you resume your career.

Posted by: puckman | November 9, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse