Ovechkin responds to Cherry

Earlier today, you heard Bruce Boudreau respond to Don Cherry's criticism of Alex Ovechkin's emotional goal celebrations.

Now here's Ovechkin's take. When I brought up the subject after today's dismal 6-2 loss to Florida, at first he smiled and pretended not to hear my question or know who Cherry was.

"Don Cherry?" Ovechkin said. "What I can say? He's a funny guy, old guy. He likes old-fashioned hockey, so he don't like probably my celebrations. He said a lot of stuff about [Atlanta all-star Ilya] Kovalchuk and me, so he ...I don't know. I don't want to talk about him. He's not interesting to me. He can say whatever he want. I don't care about him."

When I asked Ovechkin if he was angry about Cherry's comments, he added: "I just laughed when I saw his suits. He's funny. In hockey we need someone like that, someone who thinks I'm celebrating like soccer player. Maybe Canadians don't have soccer teams. Maybe he's jealous of Russia."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 1, 2009; 7:43 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Panthers 6, Caps 2
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

classic Ovie.

Posted by: DER27 | March 1, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

repost on Pronger:

Mauree: My suggestion was Laich + Mo + pick + maybe propect, not just Mo + pick (which isn't close). I really wouldn't want to trade Flash, as he is cap-friendly this year and next and, I think, has more long-term upside than Laich. Pronger at 25 mins/game would essentially replace both of the bottom two d-men. Imagine replacing Erskine and Schultz minutes both with Pronger! It would almost be that good. Laich will be a solid NHL player but he's $2M/year and we have other solid guys ready to transition to that level (Fehr and Flash). I would not deal Laich, Mo and Alzner for him. Too much. We have a bunch of guys (Bourque, Lepisto, Cheese) who must go through waivers next year if not up with Caps. Laich, Mo, Osala and a #1. Would the Ducks bite?

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 1, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Brilliant! Ovi is just something special. I would so love to have half his joy and such a positive outlook on everything. He could have just trashed Cherry, but instead showed enough tact and smarts to get his point across in a classy manner.

Posted by: Kim-3 | March 1, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Oh Ovi. We love you, even if he doesn't.

repost: Not that its a lot of consolation, but during the playoffs last season, (IIRC) JT60 had either the flu or food poisoning. So, maybe his numbers would look better if you take out the games from last season? Or not. I don't know.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 1, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I hope that lights a fire in Cherry, what's he gonna say now? The best player in the world doesn't give a crap about what he has to say! Good Job Ovie, as always.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 1, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

19-26 is Jose's lifetime playoff record. I stick to my point that we can't go far with him.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 1, 2009 7:30 PM

So, the Caps have not won the cup in 30 years... does that mean they will never win it? Stats don't mean crap. If Theo can get hot, then he can do well. Theo never had Ovechkin on his team either during the playoffs. Who cares about stats? It's a new year and every game is a new game - relax and enjoy the ride.

Posted by: _828 | March 1, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love Ovie.

Glad to see Cherry act like a baby and Ovie act like a professional.

I will say it again, Cherry is jealous of Ovechkin.

Posted by: digster1013 | March 1, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

the funny thing here is that Cherry has always given Ovechkin major props. The only other time that he gave him grief was when Ovy drilled Briere. No doubt Cherry is biased but Ovechkin plays the kind of hockey that Don Cherry lives by. Ovy's right, Don is old school and probably just can't get over his russian bias

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 1, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

oh I wasn't referring to you at all.
I agree, wouldn't trade Alzner, that's crazy. But Laich alone is too little. And to be honest, Mo is aggravating that deal, the Ducks don't need him or even worse his salary.

Laich (+ Mo?) + Osala and #1... that might do it... unless the Bruins put Kessel on the market, which is who Murray is really after I'm afraid.

Posted by: mauree | March 1, 2009 7:55 PM

Posted by: mauree | March 1, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Boudreau must tread carefully because Cherry is writing the foreward to the Boudreau autobiography that's coming out later this year. Some people in the Caps organization need not walk so softly. Al Koken today got rather animated and accused Cherry of pro-Canadian bias to the point that Craig Laughlin reminded Koken, with a bit of nervous laughter, that he, Locker, was born in Toronto. So this has the makings of a rift in hockey. Damned good! Can McPhee or Dick Patirck or (best of all) Mr. Leonsis give some quotes in support of Alex and basically call out the emperor (Cherry) on his new clothes. Cherry dissed Ovechkin; European players; and Ovechkin fans (with the Avery comparison). I myself will not buy the Boudreau book if it comes with a Cherry forward. This man is irrelevant and we need someone from very high in the Caps organization to say so in national print. Everyone in the Caps organization needs to come to Ovie's defense in no uncertain terms. Even the Players' Union. The players share in the revenue and Ovie is responsible for some of the growth in hockey over the last few years. Cherry is a bitter, old windbag and nobody cares.

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 1, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Ovie! Total class and took the high road (better than I would've done in my response :)

Posted by: ralCapsFan | March 1, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Semin was also asked about Don Cherry..

Ovie translated and Semin said.."He not like him."

Posted by: SA-Town | March 1, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Nobody needs to do a thing. Cherry is there is sell his tv show and get ratings for his tv channel. Nobody needs to do anything but move on and do what they do - especially Ovechkin. If we all started listening to news people, we would all live a very short life.

Posted by: _828 | March 1, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Beautifully put tominfl1.

I will also be upset if Boudreau's book has a Cherry forward.

He has to realize that this isnt the 1950's. People are more emotional in today's game, and it Ovie has definitely reenergized the game.

I lost a lot of respect for Cherry, not that I ever had any anyway.

Posted by: digster1013 | March 1, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

repost

You guys are nuts. You don't trade ANYONE off the current roster for a rental except Nylander. Even for a Pronger you don't trade two guys off your forward roster. One forward, one d and some prospect/pick combination maybe. Even two young d (Mo, Juice, Sarge) and no forwards added to propects and/or picks could do it. But Semin and Fehr for Pronger?? Or Semin for Bow for three months? You have got to be kidding me.

I am fine with making Erskine a healthy scratch, trade off some young d and Nyls and get Pronger and get Alzner up here. That would give us a top six of Pronger, Green, Poti, Alzner and whoever is left of the rest (Shultz, Mo, Juice, Erskine).

We WILL have the cap space for all of this. Pronger this year is down to 1.4 for the rest of the year and we have built up 1.5 in space. Nyls leaving will make it possible to take on Alzner and even Pothier (cross your fingers!).

Let's make some moves to get better, but let's not go off the deep end.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 1, 2009 8:08 PM

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 1, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

maybe his record is a trend, that he is just consistently average in the playoffs.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 1, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

rachel216 - maybe his team/teams were average?

Posted by: _828 | March 1, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Don't crap on Jose until he actually plays a playoff year with Washington. Anything can happen - there is no one answer for the Caps so called 'problems'... well, actually, there is - they are young and they will make mistakes. Until our young guns mature, they will be making mistakes. I am confused as to why people can't understand that.

Posted by: _828 | March 1, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

okay that's your opinion, but our defense isn't exactly above average.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 1, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I don't get about the "playoff record" stat everyone loves so d*mn much. Its not like a goalie is the only one playing in the playoffs. If they're playing behind a mediocre team, they're going to have a crappy record. You win the first round, you're at best 4-0, at worst 4-3. Getting swept during the second round by a hot team puts you anywhere from 4-4 to 4-7. JT60's numbers, 1-1, 0-1, 6-6, 4-7, 4-5, 4-6. That 4-7 came after one of his better regular seasons. That 6-6 was during his Vezina year. And last years 4-6 came with a 4-0 sweep by the Red Wings. Theoretically, its possible to reach the conference finals with a record of 8-6. Not exactly stellar. I just think its easy to throw that stat out as "proof" he sucks, but understand that its come over 6 different post-seasons.

Rachel, my guess would be he thought he could play through it, until it was too late. Budaj was still pretty raw as far as the playoffs go and Theo had experience. He tried to play as much as he could, because he had something to prove. (As he does this year, too) I remember one game they pulled him and he didn't even sit on the bench afterwards. He looked green when he left the ice.

I'm not going to defend JT60 through anything. His name is pretty much a swear word for my brother, who was a huge Roy fan. I just think he could work.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 1, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

From last thread about the better defenseman to trade real talent for:

1) Bouwmeester is, as I said, young, and can still improve. Chris Pronger is the opposite of young. He is impressively violent, but we've seen his best hockey.

2) YOU characterized the Dman we will pick up as a rental player, not me. That is not what I envisioned. If we pick up Bouwmeester, he is here for the long haul. Just imagine our top two pairings in the years ahead: Bouwmeester-Green; Poti-Alzner. That's sick.

3) Pronger is not $1.5M better than Bouwmeester.

Posted by: large23220 | March 1, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

If the wings can win the cup with Osgood, we can win with Theo...IF we upgrade our defense. We need strong d play from our forwards and need to trade ourselves in to a top five d corps. If we do that Theo will be fine.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 1, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl - c'mon now! You know better to use logic on these boards.

Posted by: _828 | March 1, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm with 828 on Theo.
There's not much any goalie can do w/o a reasonable defense. That should be our first priority comes Wednesday.

Posted by: mauree | March 1, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

waitingsince75:

No, no, a thousand times NO!!!!!! We don't have cap space!!!!!!!!! We have LTIR replacement space! Are you trusting those sites that give the cap info? Don't!

Again, for the billionth time, we DON'T HAVE ANY REAL CAPS SPACE!!!!!

We have prorated space from Johnny that's being used, dollar for dollar, for Neuvy. We have $2.625M in PRORATED, DAY-FOR-DAY speace that being used by Kronwall (at $244K) and, temporarily, by Beagle. Beagle goes back and you have $2.4M of Clark LTIR replacement (prorated, day-for-day) space for, say, Pronger.

He makes $6.25M. He can use the $2.4M Clark space. That leaves $3.85M to account for, on a DAY-TO-DAY basis. That's why I came up with Laich + Mo + whatever to get it done.

You cannot put Pronger at 6.25 as a replacement for Clark at 2.625. You cannot prorate one but not the other. Down here in Florida we can't get our votes counted but we sure can see that DC fuzzy math 900 miles away!

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 1, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Classy and humorous comments from Ovie after a devastating loss (yep, it happens to everyone).
And I agree with people who protect Theodore, he is not an elite goalie this season, but things can change. And D plays worth than Goalies most of the times. Neuvirth did well today, so that makes Caps future really bright because only three 20 year old goalies debuted this season (Mason, Varlamov and Neuvirth are both from Capitals).
And Pronger isnt that good currently as well.

Posted by: Hazz | March 1, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

And another thing: I think that both organizations would probably go for that trade, straight up.

I dont want to get rid of ANY of our forwards. Fehr and Flash are serious emerging talent. We can't let them go. Laich gives us too much energy sometimes.

I dont think breaking this team up too much is a good idea.

Ovie will probably be bummed out if Semin left, but they are never on the same line when they play their best anyway.

Posted by: large23220 | March 1, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

large - re read your last post and see if that makes sense to you. Bow is UFA. We have no guarantees he would stay here. He has made it clear he wants two things: Canadien/northern US team and more than $7m per. We will not be able to take of either for him.

Again, any trade for Bow is a rental. Thinking anything else is presumptuous and frankly assuming everyone wants to play here. Not true.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 1, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

"You know better to use logic on these boards."

chill. i was just putting out the lifetime record, no need to get all defensive.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 1, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

"Another" stinker. Remember Colorado? 4-4 on home ice the last 8 games. For the optimists, all is not fine. There are issues to be addressed. For the ones who think it's the end of the road, the Caps are not there either.

This game for 99% of us is strictly entertainment. We wake up the next morning and we have the same routine to attend to. It doesn't affect our careers, our family life or our income (if it does, seek help). However, when you pay good money to see a live game, add concessions and transportation, you have a right to get aggravated. It's just like going to see your favorite music group and the lead singer can't sing and/or the guitar player keeps playing the wrong cord. You're going to get pissed.

I know this game was lost by the team. Numerous players stunk up the phone booth with their play but one specific player has consitently shown me his glaring weaknesses on the ice.

I want to know why BB keeps placing the human traffic barrel, JS55, on the ice in front of the net. I know he's 22 years old and plus rating that is above average but please take him off the PK. Yes, he was only a -1 today but he was on the ice for 4 of the FLA's goals. If Olie were on the team (not that I want him now), he would have taken his stick to JS's achilles tendon after the first (of three) screens. I guess he is always in good defensive position. Yeah, right! He was on the ice for "5" of the Panthers goals.

Heck, Brashier would get a +1 today, if he were paired with Green and the #1 line on OV's goal at the end of the game.

IMO, he is not a top 4 defenceman and I wish that he would get his appropriate minutes per game(10-14). The Caps should send him down (probably through waivers) and put Alzner in his spot. At this time, think Alzner is a better player and has more potential than Schultz.

Maybe package Schultz in a trade for a Top 4 defenceman?

Posted by: puckman | March 1, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

tomin - Pronger is not at 6.25. He is at 1.4 for the rest of the season. It doesn't matter about next season until this one is over.

I am not going to get in to an argument over what we have in cap space with you. Frankly, I don't think either of us knows enough to speak on it. I trust my sources when it comes to the cap.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 1, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Not to mention why would Florida trade him to another SE opponent? Let alone conference opponent.

Posted by: _828 | March 1, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

828 - another very good point.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 1, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

_828, *sigh* Sorry! I should know better by now. lol But it is very difficult to accumulate a winning playoff record unless the team in front of you is stellar and you can sweep, you make it to the Finals repeatedly, or you win Cups.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 1, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

large23220:

If you are the one suggested Semin for Bouwmeester, and if I was the one who said trading Semin for a rental was a bad move, I'll stand by that. You have Semin undercontractual control for two more full seasons. He's a unique, world-class talent, a bit flakey at times, but aren't we all, and your statement that Bouwmeester would be here for the "long haul" has absolutely no foundation. First off, the NHL has no provision to my knowledge to have preliminary agreement on a deal and then allow teams xx numbers of hours to agree to contract before agreeing on the trade. Bouwmeester is a rental, pure and simple. He's a Mike Green type player who's better on defense but not as good on offense. Pronger is a proven winner. Sure, he's a bit old at 34. And Fedorov is a little old too. W/O Fedorov, we aren't in the playoffs last year. The Caps are a very young team. We need a Fedorov type on the blueline to take the next step. That's my opinion. I would never more Semin for an unsigned Bouwmeester.

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 1, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Looks to me you did a lil bit more than put his lifetime record on there. If you are going to make a comment about one of the players in the Caps organization, I suggest you prepare yourself for someone to comment back.

And, that was directed to jmu - not anyone else.

Posted by: _828 | March 1, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

tomin -
We agree on this one. And you are right about not being able to talk to Bow ahead of time to try to get a contract signed.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 1, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

3) Pronger is not $1.5M better than Bouwmeester.

Posted by: large23220 | March 1, 2009 8:20 PM

Agreed that its not a big downgrade going with JB over Pronger but what this team needs is a veteran LEADER and thats whats Pronger is and JB is not. This team has no defensive leadership. Poti is the closest and he's not going to make anyone forget Rod Langway.

And Poti-Alzner is sick. Sickly overrated. Alzner doesn't even impress at the A level yet. He's like another Schultz. timid and positional player

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 1, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

the guy on Islanders point blank:

7:05 pm - Some reliable media types with solid connections to Bill Guerin and others say Philadelphia.

I say…Washington

-but didn't Tarik say he wasn't coming here?

Posted by: rachel216 | March 1, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

_828, huh? I'm confused. I'm actually okay with Theo here. I'm just saying that maybe his team sucked, or he gets swept by the Cup champions, which contributed to 4 of those 26. Does 19-22 sound any better?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 1, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

eveyone is saying Guerin is headed to Washington. Depends on who or what we trade in return it may improve us but getting a 38 yr old who is strictly a rental player doesn't excite me that much. If you want a RW go get Erik Cole, someone younger and someone who you may want to re-sign. Getting these really old players who don't have much left in the tank doesnt make any sense. I'd rather us not make any moves than make stupid move

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 1, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

There's two kinds of cap space:
1) regular cap space.
2) LTIR replacement cap space.

With regular cap space, if you are under in average all year (say you spend the first 80% of the season, up until the trade deadline, $1M under), then you can trdae for $5M guy for the last 20% of the season and he will use the $1M you've accumulated for teh first 80% of the season. The Caps, however, were right up against the cap from day 1 of the season and have never picked up any real space. All they've ever used, all year, is LTIR replacement space.

The second kind of cap space, LTIR rerplacement space, only comes into use for teams over the cap (otherwise) and allows you to replace the salary of the player being replaced with a player or players that make up to the cap salary of the injured player. The Caps, in this instance, can replace Chris Clark with up to $2.625M worth of full-salary players.

I have read this in the CBA after it was posted by others. I don't care about being right or wrong. The bottom line is you can't put Pronger to replace Clark.

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 1, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

(I want to know why BB keeps placing the human traffic barrel, JS55, on the ice in front of the net. I know he's 22 years old and plus rating that is above average but please take him off the PK. Yes, he was only a -1 today but he was on the ice for 4 of the FLA's goals.)

and there are still some fans (dwindling as they are) who love the guy. go figure. Schultz needs to be sent to the Russian front!

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 1, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl,
We are in agreement - someone just made a comment about my 'logic' statement and I said that was directed to you.

Posted by: _828 | March 1, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1, lol. Thanks for the Hogan's Heroes reference! I've been waiting for one as the anti-55 sentiment builds. That made my day.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 1, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Washington is not going to happen. That is done/over/finished. Old news. We don;t need another winger. We need defense.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 1, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1: The guy is now saying there will be no news tonight, which he says it can only mean one thing: that there is no trade at all.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 1, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

For Guerin, that is. No forward trades at all.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 1, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Look, just like Ovi I will forget about Don Cherry and all his pro-Canadian points by watching the South Park movie tonight. Canada is not God when it comes to hockey and the rest of the world has proven that.

Anyways Schultz is worthless and needs to be scratched or traded for a bag of pucks/waterbottles or whatever we can get. I'm tired of watching a 6'7" defensemen getting bit@#ed around the crease. Theo may be ok, he may not but it wouldn't kill us to have a veteran behind him for the play-offs. I feel better and will go back to reading you guys post about a very exiting time in CAPS history.

HAve a good one ladies and gents.....

Posted by: EsMyDee | March 1, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Will someone please explain to me what dictates whether a goalie gets the win or loss if they only play a partial game. Is it whoever finishes the game? Who plays the bulk of the minutes? I never seem to be able to remember.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 1, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl,
Its the score at the time. If the Caps are winning 2-0 and Jose gets pulled and the final score is 2-1 - Jose gets the win. If the final score is 4-3 - Jose's backup gets the win. It's like a pitcher in baseball.

Posted by: _828 | March 1, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

_828, Thanks!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 1, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

shultz had pair of really good screens on Jose' and neuvy. I wonder if coach bb would consider making him a right wing and teach him TO SCREEN THE OTHER TEAMS GOALIE!!!!!!!! what an idiot!

Posted by: Puckthepens | March 1, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 1, 2009 8:49 PM

glad someone picked up on that :)

Rachel216: I really hope that Guerin isnt going to be our "savior" pickup.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 1, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Tomin - Since you have read the CBA (on this site no less) I am guessing you are an expert. I am only as good as my sources which apparently are not as good as yours. I will defer to your superior intellect

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 1, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I loved neuvys reaction to schultz screen. You could almost hear him saying "wtf dude"?

Posted by: Puckthepens | March 1, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I guess GMGM can take a vacation. There are no trades that we can make without blowing up team, barring someone taking Nyls off our hands.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 1, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Puckthepens,
That wasn't a reaction to the screen - that was because it went off his skates. It was going wide and Schultz put it in with his skates. I saw his reaction though 'wtf' pretty much described it.

Posted by: _828 | March 1, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Puckthepens: Are you exaggerating or did Neuvy really say that? Poor Neuvy, he did look very angry. :(

Posted by: rachel216 | March 1, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 1, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 1, 2009 9:15 PM

I don't know how anyone else feels about this but I think trading Mo is a bad idea

For one, he's by far NOT our worst defenseman. Two, he's young, he has size, he plays the body (relative to our other D). And he can play hurt like he did last year with the shoulder and then later with a broken jaw. Can you imagine Schultz playing with a broken jaw and bum wing? He'd be hiding in the corners.

And I don't think we're super stocked on defense with young guys anyway. Schultz is a bust. Green and John Carlson are our two solid young defensemen/prospects. Finley is an unknown. Pokolok is another bust. Alzner, I'm not too fond of as some other fans are. I have higher hopes for him than Schultz but so far what I've seen doesn't excite me that much. Carlson is our best defensive prospect, not Karl

And Godfrey is probably 2-3 years away. We're not that stocked to where we can simply cut loose Mo.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 1, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

cstanton - I almost completely agree with you. And you may be right about Carlson. But you are selling Alzner short. I played d in college and one year of minors. Karl's positioning and stick work is fantastic for a kid just out of juniors. He is learning. And when JC comes up here we will some deficiencies in his game as well.

Next year can you imagine Poti, Pothier, Pronger, Green, Alzner and Carlson?

Wow!

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 1, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I forgot about Mo.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 1, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I think Mo can stay, but he might want to consider being okay with a pay cut.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 1, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

@828 yeah I saw the skate defelction too.I didn't want to fan the flames too much on 55.
@rachel216 I dont know if he verbally said 'wtf' but his reaction sure did.

It really irritates me, especially after last years playoff run where philly seemed to be the master of the screen, that the caps cant learn to screen anybody but themselves

Posted by: Puckthepens | March 1, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

jnu - good call

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 1, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Yo wait75, i agree from being around and playing the game for the last 20+ years, Alzner is sound. Why do you think he takes so few penalties, he knows the position and will be one of the best defensemen we have ever had. I promise!!

Posted by: EsMyDee | March 1, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

we need Fulton Reed and Dean Portman. The bash bros would make quick work of the East

Posted by: thunder_man101 | March 1, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

It is true that tonight's loss was a team effort, but there need to be some anchors to steady an inconsisten team. Goaltending could and should be one of them. Even though Theo has made a lot of progress what some of us are saying is that we are not yet convinced that he is Stanley Cup material. Here is a quote in a article that is supportive of Theo that uses statistics to back its claim:

"...Still, Theodore's save percentages both for the season and for February hover right around .900. Since the lockout the playoff save percentages of the goalies who have led their teams to Stanley Cup Finals berths have been .933, .930, .927, .922, .920, and .907. For what it's worth, Theodore's career playoff save percentage is .915, but only .904 since his glory days with the Canadiens."

And this is what a blogger from a Canadian blog had to say about what a Stanley Cup contender has to have:

"The ever-mercurial Jose Theodore will be a weak link for the Caps... as well as their relatively porous D and lack of physicality outside of Brashear. By relatively, I mean not good enough to be a contender. Ideally, Stanley Cup finalists need to excel in all three of the areas I mentioned, especially the first two. There aren't going to be very many shootouts... "

It seems on target to me. Where does anyone think it's wrong?

Posted by: caraveli | March 1, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Some more lines from Ovie about Cherry

"I understand and respect him as we both have a lot in common- neither of us have won a Stanley Cup as a player or coach"

"He has a lot of experience and I value what he has to say. He always kept his cool in his AHL games."

"Don't worry, Don, jumping on the glass is not considered too many men on the ice..."

"Don, I was checking your AHL stats. Not a lot of PMs. Did you start getting tough when started standing behind the bench?"

And from an ex-Bruins fan who saw Cherry run the B's to the ground after their last Cup- "Why could you never beat Montreal?"

Posted by: fehrrocks | March 1, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

"No need for us to even discuss on here getting better at the trade deadline. Tomin says we can't do it."

Posted by: waitingsince75 | March 1, 2009 9:18 PM

waiting: First you said you weren't going to argue, then you put two posts - arguing. But, I don't mind. I debate for a living and I'll take on you, God or anyone in between :).

OK, you haven't cited your "sources" for your stance on cap space. We do have 1.5 - Clark less Kronwall less Beagle. But it's all LTIR replacement. I say we can't put Pronger w/o moving 3.9M of regular space off. Prove me wrong.

Your second "non-argument" rejoinder, copied above, is not anything like what I said. The Caps can make plenty of moves. They just can't exceed the cap. The Caps started the season on Oct 1 with 14 forwards, 6 defensemen and 2 goalies and were capped out. The only relief all year was LTIR replacement relief - first for Clark, then Semin, Fedorov, Erskine, Poti and now Clark and Johnny. There never has been any space - just replacement space. That's my understanding after reading the CBA. You seem to have "sources." Cite them. I'd love nothing better than to just plug Pronger into the team. I just don't think it's that simple. I've put the reasons ad nauseum. Please cite why your way works. I always believe when people convince me I'm wrong. I'd really rather you be right. Thanks for the superior intellect comment - I'll take that as a compliment and copy it over for my yearly review so maybe next year I get an extra 0.5% for my merit.

Yours, Tom in Florida

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 1, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

ive always wanted to see kariya on the caps. he's always been a fav of mine. looking at the d and the forrest gump play of theodore (you never know what ur gonna get) i know we have other wants, but i still would like to see kariya. hes old and injury prone, but we do have gmgm at the helm

Posted by: thunder_man101 | March 1, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Do you guys realize that Don Cherry criticizing Ovi is like me criticizing Shirley Povich for being a bad writer, because I comment on a blog...... F Don Cherry!!

Posted by: EsMyDee | March 1, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Puckthepens | March 1, 2009 9:32 PM

IMO its a matter of not wanting to screen the goalie and take punishment rather than not knowing how to do it. The style we play is a finesse creative style, not a straight ahead do-it-at-any-costs style. If this team wants to emulate Detroit rather than some of the other successful teams out there, they're going to have to accept that Detroit also has a decent balance of skill and grit. And they play D-FENSE!@

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 1, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

How is it that Erskine and Jurcina had their ice time reduced when clearly everyone who was watching this game could see Schultz was on the ice for 4 goals and actually scored the fourth.

Anybody see the death stare that Neuvirth gave Schultz after that goal. If looks could kill.

Posted by: blanknerc | March 1, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Re: Ovie & Cherry and others---I am absolutely stunned to hear that some people are actually critical of a young player's spontaneous expression of pure joy at his or his teammates' wins. All I can think of is that is sour grapes and acts of desperation caused by jealousy.

These "critiques" are so absurd, I don't see how they deserve an answer. Ovie has breathed new life into this sport and not by his skill alone. His obvious love for the sport, child-like enthusiasm, outbursts of absolute delight, passion, loyalty to his team--let alone energy and intensity--have galvanized fans and players and breathed new life into hockey.

Hockey is not about celebration? Really! Is watching sports supposed to be a sober and austere experience, sort of like sitting in a jury or attending a funeral? Right! This is why folks buy tickets for. Maybe this is the Canadian way of having fun?

Posted by: caraveli | March 1, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Caraveli...

You're right, if he was so concerned about non-shelant celebrations after a goal why does he wear the stupidest/craziest suits this side of Henry Hill. He loves the attention for himself, OVI loves the attention for his team. EFF Don Cherry, lets start a new campaign

Posted by: EsMyDee | March 1, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

"Don Cherry is like Rush Limbaugh and President Obama is in office with very high popularity ratings. :-) Change has come. It is like oxygen, get used to it."

From Ted's Take

Posted by: fehrrocks | March 1, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

"I guess the fans don’t like Don Cherry and his comments about Alex Ovechkin. See fan comments here.

Thanks, Mr. Leonsis - that's just what I was talking about. Maybe even better.

Except...I would have liked..."Don Cherry is like Rush Limbaugh in a clown suit..."

Seriously, I was picturing the Caps players watching the TV with HNIC and Cherry comes on and there's Semin and Ovie and Feds and Kozlov and they start pointing at Cherry and laughing like adolescent kids because the guy looks like such an idiot.

I'm a little surprised Mr. Leonsis used a political comparison - I'm sure some fans follow Rush Limbaugh - but the defense of Ovie was swift and sure as it should've been.

I wonder if Cherry will comment back. Let's hope it's not over - I love a good argument.

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 1, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

I have often heard players, coaches and the media talk about the Caps having a lot of fast players. That just doesn't seem to be the case at all when you look at it player by player.

Players with above average speed for their positions: Flash, Semin, Ovechkin, Gordon(?), Laich(?), Green, Morrisonn(?).

Fedorov may be fast for his age but probably not for his position at this point.

On the other hand, there is a pretty long list of players that have average to below average speed for their positions: Fedorov (average), Schultz (below), Erskine (below), Poti (average), Jurcina (slow to average), Kronwall (below), Alzner (average), Kozlov (below), Fehr (below to average), Nylander (below), Steckel (below), Brashear (below), Backstrom (average), Bradley (average).

Some of these people could be referring to our fast, aggressive style of play but I've definitely heard clear cut references to our team having "a lot" of quick, speedy players. I just don't see that to be the case at all. We are a big team with below average speed, overall, and that doesn't seem to be a good fit for Boudreau's style of play. It would seem that we should be sacrificing size in favor speed if we are playing this North-South brand of hockey to improve our ability to backcheck and recover.

Perhaps this is just due to the fact that Boudreau wasn't behind the bench when most of these players were drafted and we were trying to be a defense-first team in the past. Having a big and relatively slow team makes more sense if you are playing a slower game focusing on your own end first. If Bourdreau is going to be here for a while, which looks highly likely, we need to start shipping out some of these slower, less skilled offensive and defensive players in favor of faster, more skilled players. Guys like Schultz, Erskine and Nylander would look a lot better on a team like Minnesota, for example.

Our current style of play inherently gives oppoising teams more scoring opportunities. Increasing our team speed and skill depth (less giveaways) would help compensate for that to some extent and I have to believe that is the direction we will go with Boudreau running the show. Hopefully, some of the quicker, more skilled players in our system will step up in the next few seasons.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 1, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Listen, I like Ovie, but he should really show a little more respect for his opponents. NO ONE else in the NHL really celebrates like him, and there's a reason. For example, he shouldn't be running around like a jack@ss when his team has a decent lead (i.e. he's scoring the 6th goal in a 6-3 rout) - it's insulting to his opponents.

The last time I remember someone celebrating like Ovie it was that little punk Theo Fleury or Robbie Brown with his windmill arm. Other players hated that. You'd never see a truly classy player like Joe Sakic or Steve Yzerman jumping into the glass or cupping his hand to his ears. Please. The real classy way to celebrate a goal is to act like it's no big deal to you b/c you've been doing it your whole career.

Posted by: puckheaded1 | March 1, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

So puckheaded1, on whatever team you are a fan of, no one celebrates their goals? They just head matter of factly back to the bench or to center ice. Right. Please go back to your teams site and don't celebrate there.

Who cares about Don Cherry and the nonsense he spouts? Doesn't matter.

Posted by: _Mark | March 1, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

@ _Mark:
I didn't say not to celebrate your goals. But show some taste for crying out loud. Apparently you can't tell the difference.

Posted by: puckheaded1 | March 1, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Like it or not, Cherry matters because he is only one of the two main personalities of Hockey Night in Canada (along with Ron McLean), watched by millions of diehard hockey fans every week. But clearly Caps fans have no clue who he is because they are all bandwagoners who just started watching hockey, like 2 months ago, when the Caps started winning regularly.

Posted by: puckheaded1 | March 1, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Don Cherry has a penchant for spouting stuff for attention, much like his outlandish suits. He has succeeded in getting attention again for another ridiculous statement. He certainly is capable of making valid points on occasion, but every once in a while, it is like he just needs the attention. He is entitled to his opinion, even if I think it is wrong. He is not worth all of the attention. Just because he is watched, doesn't make him correct, and that doesn't means that he matters. He is often just a sideshow.

Posted by: _Mark | March 1, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

I do not see how OV could really be considered unclassy in his celebrations. I honestly think its just sort of natural for him to have the celebratory outbursts. Every aspect of OV, he always wears his heart on a sleeve. Isn't the love of the game and the joy of the game the main reason most of these players are where they are? There is a line where those sorts of celebrations could be considered classless and tacky, but I do not think OV has ever really crossed it. OV's celebrations are part of what makes OV OV. He gets pumped up, it pumps up the team, and it helps the fans rock the house. Verizon Centre has been extremely loud this season. Sure, its due to the success of this team, but I have watched plenty of games this season where we have played at different arenas hosting their own successful team, and VC still seems like it is louder and more energized than other buildings. I have got believe that all stems from the style of energy OV provides pretty much on a nightly basis.

My idea of total classless celebration....

Classy: I remember last year with Philly, OV scored a huge goal at Wachovia and as excited as he was, he started heading towards the glass, and just was able to manage not jumping into the glass...and huddled with teammates instead....

Classless: Game 7, at VC....after a hard fought series, fans were treated to a "lovely" goodbye hand waving from a certain Flyer's player, center ice.

Unless OV starts pulling out some premditated celebration jigs, I will count him among the classiest goal scorers in the league.

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | March 2, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin is an individual and he certainly breaths fresh air in to the games. Opponents and purists don't have to like it. They just have to deal with it until he decides that he is not that passionate and exuberant about the game and I hope that doesn't happen anytime soon.

Posted by: _Mark | March 2, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

My speculation and something to chew on with regards to the potential (or failed) Guerin trade. Suppose the trade was Guerin to the Caps for Nylander and whom ever. Maybe Nyls declined to waive his NTC. If true, I don't blame him not wanting to go to the isle. Looks like he'll keep getting scratched and collect his paycheck.

Also, we don't need Guerin as much as we need a top line defenceman.

Tarik, want are you hearing lately about Nyls getting continually scratched???

Posted by: puckman | March 2, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Ovie gets the last and best word. Don't ever change, time to lace 'em up and get ready for Tuesday. We'll bounce back have no fear.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 2, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hsk8er6 | March 2, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

A group dedicated to trading nylander?

Posted by: mshwedick | March 2, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Just something I have been wondering...

I know this issue has been chewed out on the board a bunch in the past.....but I still cannot help wondering, with Clark out...couldn't this team benefit from assigning an interim C? I know it is all pretty symbolic to a point, and many would point out that the Caps have a lot of either on ice leaders, or lead by example type players..they also have a bunch of locker room mentor type players....Obviously there is a lot that goes on in the locker room/ off ice that none of us can be fully aware of, but in games like today's, couldn't the team only benefit from having a designated locker room motivator?? There has been recent speculation about the lack of vocal off ice leadership. The Caps do have some pretty good veterans on the team, but they are more mentor like figures it seems. And though I think they are great at what they do (Feds has definitely been great for Semin, OV, etc...) I am thinking more on the lines of someone that will rally up the team between periods, make sure everyone is on same page, call out mistakes, remind everyone to stick to game plan (when they fall behind, skill players totally neglect any semblance of system/game plan, and get too individualistic....which works sometimes, but backfires a lot as well), or more simply put, a vocal motivator.

Based on what I have heard in interviews, I would think Brooks Laich would be a pretty good choice. Maybe he already is a motivator,or maybe someone else on the team already is. But perhaps actually designating someone to that role,handing out that interim C (or A, if C is out of the question) just makes that role that much more focused/ consistent/garunteed....As I said, according to recent speculation, no one has really oficially stepped up vocally, so why not have the coaches/players designate someone....?

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | March 2, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Puckheaded: Peter Bondra... celebrated goals like they were all his first too. Classless right?

Posted by: rh71 | March 2, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

@ The_Stanley_Caps

The problem with naming an interim C is that you would have to take it away from the player if Clark does return. If Clark returns in the second round of the playoffs (that's the projection I believe), then the Caps would take the C away from the dubbed captain, which is confusing for players and locker room chemistry. Clark despite his injury still spends time around the team, so it's not like he disappears. I'd rather see the A system where the Caps run 2 or 3 A's and leave the C for Clark. I believe that taking the C away from a youngster wouldn't benefit confidence or development, despite situational circumstance.

Posted by: hsk8er6 | March 2, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

hsk8er--

that makes total sense, and I would not want it to affect team chemistry or confidence....I think Clark is a great Captain, I just think it would be more effective to have an active player take on the role at the moment....I like the rotation of the A....I notice sometimes they go with two, other times they go with three....so possibly give the third A to the locker room leader. Or, since that could again lead to confusion when Clark does return (since there cannot be three As and a C, I believe), why not use some other C like symbol. Sort of like they do with the hard hat awarded to players after the game....

Ideally, there are players in the locker room that naturally assume the vocal leadership position, but if not, designate or encourage someone to step up and take on that responsibility. Give them the C, give them an A, or create another symbolic sort of prop (like the hard hat, if you must.

I am not suggesting that with Clark out of the lineup, his influence/presence has disappeared, I just think that perhaps someone in the lineup stepping up in between the periods could only be beneficial. And when Clark returns to lineup (hopefully this season), the extra leadership would be very positive (great leaders have great support).

And as I mentioned before, the only reason I do bring this up, is that there has been speculation that that sort of vocal leadership has been lacking...(I am pretty sure BB mentioned that in a recent interview...)

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | March 2, 2009 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Ovi's the MAN! We need more of this guy in every sport. Bill Murrey on ice....What a knuckle head:)

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | March 2, 2009 4:35 AM | Report abuse

We Should trade 16, 17, 1, 55 and perhaps a draft pick for pronger. None of them would do any damage to to team at all if they werent here

Posted by: SovietSnipes | March 2, 2009 4:37 AM | Report abuse

Also, all you nylander haters need to get a clue. hes a veteran pivot who is still a skilled puck handler who DOESNT tank many penalties and wins his share of facoffs. Much rather have him as the 3rd line center than steckle who brings no O to the table.

Posted by: SovietSnipes | March 2, 2009 4:39 AM | Report abuse

@SovietSnipes:

Nylander has shown zero chemistry with every player on this team. He was supposed to be a big PP guy, well the PP is 2nd best in the league without him. He may still be a good player in some system, for some team, but on the Caps, he's a defensive liability. With a nearly 5M cap hit, he's a ridiculous liability, and easily one of the worst contracts value-wise in the NHL.

Posted by: VladG | March 2, 2009 4:52 AM | Report abuse

talks of backstrom to caps start to heat up as well as pronger

Posted by: masterx09 | March 2, 2009 4:53 AM | Report abuse

If you youtube Don Cherry you get to see him say women should not go to hockey games. This guy is a neanderthal who apparently has no ability to adapt to change. What a loser...

Posted by: WLHSMom | March 2, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

If you get past the bombast, Cherry made one point that got lost...that someone is going to run Ovechkin, and it's not going to be pretty. Some 4th line scrub will take a king hit on Ovechkin, and then, as they say, all heck will break loose (something nobody wants to see).

Not that it matters, but Cherry also ripped the Detroit organisation for being "too European", and equating their attendance issues not to the economy, but that they don't have guys like Probert and Kocur anymore. Frankly, Ron Maclean, who normally says very little, was even taken aback by that.

Cherry also knows quite a bit about hockey, and follows it not just at the NHL level, but at the major junior, and lower junior levels. Having actually met him, he's an incredibly nice person and very smart about the game at all levels.

Sometimes wrong, but more often than not he's right. He also ripped Sidney Crosby during his last couple years in major junior (in Rimouski) for being a showboat/hot dog, so it cuts both ways.

Posted by: jcurrin | March 2, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

jcurrin,

Let me get this straight...

According to you, a guy that...

says women shouldn't go to hockey games...

criticizes a team because of the ethnicity of some of its players...

practically suggests that somebody should take out Ovechkin because of the way he celebrates scoring goals...

is an incredibly nice person???

Are you a sane person? Seriously.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 2, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Don Cherry = Rush Limbaugh of hockey...

Posted by: kingbonehead | March 2, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

peter bondra was a rat on skates. he looked like a total goofball with his celebrations and that stupid breathe right strip he would put on his nose. no wonder Leonsis never wanted him back.

Posted by: puckheaded1 | March 2, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I know this is late and someone probalby said it already, but what about Cindy Crybaby celebrating last Saturday against the Flyers? He did the same exact thing, but that's OK because he's from Canada. Scre* Cherry. He's an idiot.

Posted by: jwash4472 | March 2, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

@jwash4472

Ovie does it EVERY TIME. Crosby did it once. Can you tell the difference between "once" and "every time"? Apparently not.

I laugh at all the bitterness that shows when you all dump on Crosby. You're all like that fat chick sitting on her couch at home complaining when Paris Hilton appears all over Entertainment Tonight.

Posted by: puckheaded1 | March 2, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Don Cherry ? Who cares what a man who comes to work every week dressed in a Barnum & Bailey clownsuit says. The cold war is over Mr. clown! Get rid of your "anyone not Canadian" Mikee1940

Posted by: mikee1940 | March 2, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Why are we still discussing Cherry? He is (a) irrelevant and (b) the least of our problems right now. Any word on whether Bruce and the boys met this AM and if so what was said? I think they should all just have to sit in front of a room full of us and explain themselves... especially if they went out on Saturday before a game. That would scare them straight.

Posted by: ERHDC1 | March 2, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

puckheaded1

Last Saturday was not the first time Crosby celebrated like that. He has done it off and on over the last two seasons.

Posted by: ERHDC1 | March 2, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

@jwash4472

Posted by: puckheaded1 | March 2, 2009 10:09 AM

@puckheaded1: Bitterness? Last I checked, Crosby's shown less class by punching a guy in the nuts repeatedly and also pulling a guy's sweater over his head and then starts swinging at the guy knowing that the guy couldn't see. For the record, Crosby only jumped into the glass once because...really, he's Cindy Crosby. What does he have to celebrate?

As for your blind following of Mr. Cherry, the guy and his opinions on hockey players and their demeanor on the ice is as antiquated as a Model-T Ford. The guy is full of himself and starves for attention, hence his poor taste in clothing. Regardless of where Mr. Cherry comes from, his comments were disrespectful not only to Ovi and the Washington Capitals but also to their fans. Many of us, who watch Ovi relate to his enthusiasm on the ice. It's a sincere expression of joy for his success and the success of his teammates. For anyone like yourself, puckheaded1 (you're missing an h after the p), or Mr. Cherry, to denounce that expression of joy as nothing more than self-centeredness, are just killjoys of an exciting sport. I'll take my hockey the way Ovi and the Washington Capitals serve it. I'll pass on the tea & crumpets style of hockey you both are trying to shovel.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 2, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

@LeftCoastCapsFan

What does Crosby have to celebrate? Um, getting past the first round of the playoffs is a start! Crosby's also a passionate guy. He doesn't do it EVERY GAME, just in the heat of the moment he's gotten a little aggressive. But Ovie? Running around like a jack@ss EVERY GAME.

"The guy is full of himself and starves for attention" - sounds like Ovie to me! You must have all forgotten when he put on that silly hat and shades during the All-Star game.

Sad, bitter Caps fans that never got a real sniff of a Stanley Cup.

Posted by: puckheaded1 | March 2, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

@puckheaded1: Keep living in the past. Last I checked, the Penguins weren't even in the Top 8.

I relish the fact that Crosby will always be a ball-slapper. The worst you could say about Ovi is that he's a star athlete and entertainer. Hah, you're too sad to even care about your comments anymore. You're dismissed.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 2, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

@LeftCoastCapsFan

Can you read standings? Pens are in the playoffs if they started today. Guess you can't read because your head is buried in OV's crotch.

Posted by: puckheaded1 | March 2, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I have a real problem with Don Cherry. It seems to me that Don is obsessed with overshadowing his broadcast partners and always has been. Hockey is the one sport where I would expect the media experts to resemble the sport they cover. Don is on a team of broadcasters, and yet he is determined to draw attention to himself with his flamboyent outfits and outrageous statements. This is not the Canadian Way for broadcasters. Don should be real careful. I expect one day his broadcast partners will have had enough of Don and cut him in half on air. Or maybe he should go cover SOCCER!

Posted by: jackstraaw | March 2, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse