Ovechkin returns to the ice

The Caps are on the ice here at BankAtlantic Center, and for the first time since Sunday, Alex Ovechkin is among them. He's wearing a different colored jersey and is not assigned to a line, though, so it's obvious that he's not ready to go. Yet.

Ovechkin seems to be moving easily, but his passes and shots appear to be at about 50 percent. He also seems to be in good spirits -- the two-time MVP just scored a goal and tried to celebrate, but he couldn't raise his left arm very high.

After about 10 minutes, Ovechkin put his stick on the bench and now appears as though he's just going to skate.

Here's a short video from the Caps:

I'll get an update on his status later.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 5, 2009; 12:51 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning roundup: Minus Ovechkin, Caps fall short
Next: Ovechkin likely out this weekend

Comments

ovi cant pull his goaile with his left arm anymore......oh no!!!!! ha jokes....get well soon!!!!

Posted by: caps4life2 | November 5, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

ovie @ 50% is better than most.

something tells me tarik's update on ovie's condition is going to be specific, detailed and without equivocation. yeah...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 5, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: ralph4100 | November 5, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Ovi, please try to ease back into things. =/

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 5, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Yikes, Ovi in orange, bet theres a lot of philly fans who would like to see that

Posted by: superpaqman | November 5, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Based on tweets, that was a quick practice today! Maybe they are going to review some game video? Or do they get to lie on the sun for the rest of the afternoon?

Posted by: CapsChick | November 5, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Ovechkin better not rush back! I'd rather he miss a couple of weeks now, and come back healthy, than have him out in April!!!

Posted by: irockthered | November 5, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Ovie's problem is going to heal faster than Montgomery County's traffic light computer fiasco!

Posted by: yosemite_sam | November 5, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Guess I shouldn't be surprised since he is younger than the computer in question!

Posted by: yosemite_sam | November 5, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

OH NO Ovie cant raise his hand! OH NO what if he has to ask the coach a question or has to go pottie?!? OH NO.....

Posted by: ChickenLittleCapsFan | November 5, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

we have a yosemite sam and a chicken little, oh all the colorful personalities

Posted by: superpaqman | November 5, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I would not draw conclusions about his return just because he is skating. Pothier spent about 3-4 Months skating before he actually played a game in the NHL on his return for a concussion. I find that his inability to lift his arm very high very disturbing to say the least. I am still thinking that he may have suffered a shoulder dislocation when he was pulled by the arm. His displayed symptoms after he fell on the next shift and the little bibs we get from Tarik are consistent. If the shoulder was back in it's socket, the X-ray would come back negative as well as potentially the contrast MRI they must have done. That would also rule out a rotator cuff tear (Nyls injury two years ago).
An anterior Gleno-humeral dislocation can stay unstable for awhile and make lifting your arm over your head very painful and uncomfortable. Also, it requires a fair amount of strengthening or a reoccurrence is very likely (like a sprained ankle).
Anyways, until I know more, I am not that optimistic to see Ovie back on the ice so soon. If I was BB, I would really not rush my franchise player too quick on the ice, no matter how the team is performing.

Posted by: atybat | November 5, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Having sustained an impact injury on my shoulder over two months ago, I know that problems can persist. Although I had full mobility from the start I can still feel the pain when I push myself up from a sitting position. I would have no trouble skating though (no more trouble than normal, anyhow).

Posted by: Sonyask | November 5, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Anterior shoulder dislocation was my guess and the description seems to confirm that. The good news is that that type of injury tends to heal well, but they take time and can be re injured easily if the recuperation is rushed.

Posted by: skipper7 | November 5, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

My intuition tells me that Ovi hurt his left shoulder when he lunged to punch/push Chimera with his left arm at the beginning of the scrum.

That would support the idea that the punching should be left to the enforcers, of which the Caps have none, and not the two-time league MVP.

As a pugilistic player in his own right, McPhee should know better than to play the big-boddied and Hitchcok-coached Blue Jackets, w/o Erskine or any other enforcer-type. I think that management has to take some blame for the circumstances leading to Ovi's injury. Others?

Posted by: dml1077 | November 5, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

yup, I've saying that since sunday night... gotta have some protection, it's rather unwise to invest that much money on him and let him fight his own battle.

Posted by: joek443 | November 5, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse