Ovechkin Robbed in All-Star Balloting

The NHL released the final voting tallies for this year's All-Star game in Montreal and somehow Alex Ovechkin is voted sixth.

Among forwards.

In the Eastern Conference.

Dan Steinberg has more on this affront to democracy over at the D.C. Sports Bog.

By washingtonpost.com Sports Editor  |  January 3, 2009; 4:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday Morning Update (Update)
Next: Boudreau: 'It's Dumb ...It's Not Right'

Comments

What a load of crap! I can not believe that Ovechkin was picked sixth behind the Pittsburgh duo and les Canadiens. I don't even know what else to say, I am so crazy mad right now.

Posted by: toledocapitals | January 3, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

The NHL has got to stop this online fan balloting bullcrap.

The Eastern starters don't include Ovechkin or Thomas, but there's Kovalev who's been terrible this year and Komisarek who has no business being on the All-Star team at all and has missed a ton of time with injury.

The Western starters do not include even 1 player from either Detroit or San Jose.

What a complete and utter farce!

This has just become a contest of which team's fans are most internet savvy and how many times they click the vote button.

Posted by: ranndino | January 3, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm not that shocked -- Pittsburgh fans just did the same thing that Montreal fans did.

Washington fans just showed a little class, is all. I voted 7 or 8 times for a nearly all Caps' line-up (I did give Malkin props on my ballots), but I wasn't about to run the script and try to cheat.

Besides, it's not like Ovechkin won't be a 1st Team All-Star 4 years in a row come June.

I hope that Backstrom and Semin make the team, though -- they're just as deserving. (I'd be surprised if Green didn't make it, honestly.)

Can't wait to see Semin play tonight! Let's go Caps!

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | January 3, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Can we blame Bettman? Time to find a better way to select the all star teams!

Posted by: TJ91 | January 3, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

In the end, someone like Ovechkin isn't getting screwed since he'll make the team regardless. On the other hand, a borderline forward (maybe Backstrom?) and defenseman (Green?) will both be left off the team because Montreal fans voted for Kovalev and Komisarek.
In the future, the NHL should do something more like the NFL where the fans are only given a portion of the vote for the starters (1/3, with coaches getting a 1/3, and players getting a 1/3).

Posted by: jsaltman | January 3, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

alright....great day today and we need to finish it up. pens took a nose dive to 9th in conference with cindy trying to be a tough guy and boston dropped a game also. i am not about to go 0-2 today at verizon so time for the CAPS to come out and kick some a$$! Georgetown looked like crap after the first half.

Posted by: CapsSkins | January 3, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

eh thats cool...thats all crosby and malkin are going to win, let them have their artificial glory. theyre harmless and pathetic (although kudos to crosby for showing his amazing "leadership" today haha). im a bit more concerned about winning hockey games and ovie will win mvp again guaranteed

Posted by: miked3 | January 3, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

The balloting was ridiculous. I don't want to spend text-messaging fees, or sign away all my privacy to BOTH XM Radio AND 2K Sports, in order to tell the NHL what should already be perfectly obvious.

I do remember the days when they handed out paper ballots at games, and that was the way to vote. Seemed a bit more legitimate that way.

Posted by: jen-s | January 3, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Hello All!

Ok, chillax folks. It is to THEIR LOSS if they pick players like uh, what's his face. Fine, let them see what's his face instead of Alexander Ovechkin!!!

Ya hear me Bettman!!!

I'm off to the game.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 3, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

so stop complaining on this blog and go vote...Montreal obviously has more fans that care about seeing their stars

Posted by: wendel2 | January 3, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jec4p | January 3, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

u dont,,,, its over so why complain since we lost? We got outvoted that is democracy
so why whine about it?

Posted by: wendel2 | January 3, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Its like the hanging chads in Florida. Was one of the Bushs in charge of the vote?

Posted by: wendel2 | January 3, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

It won't happen (the coaches get to name a few players), but I'd be more than happy to see Ovie sit out the ASG. He could use the rest and I'd enjoy seeing Bettman choke on his own stupidity every time a reporter asks him where Ovechkin is.

Posted by: spacecadetkid | January 3, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Please do not feed the trolls.

Posted by: rw-c | January 3, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

It would seem like the Habs fans would want to see some All-Stars rather then the duds they have to see 40 times a year already!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | January 3, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Who cares which Cap gets into the All-Star game or not? Ovechkin deserves to start yes. But doesn't need to. Let him rest. Nobody cares about the All-Star game.

Posted by: washcapsfanandorioles | January 3, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I think that A.O. should have some nagging injury and decline to play.

The NHL are a bunch of pinheads.

Posted by: dingogumby | January 3, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

@wendel

You truly are an idiot

Posted by: ralCapsFan | January 3, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

POLL: What do you think of the All-Star starting lineup?

Posted by: rockthered21 | January 4, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse