Ovechkin scores again as Russia stays perfect

(Martin Meissner/AP)

Alex Ovechkin scored his third goal at worlds Thursday in Cologne, Germany, leading Russia to a 3-1 victory over Belarus. The Russians won all three of their preliminary-round games and move on to the qualification round. Read more here (warning: translation might be a little rough).

Update: Here's the AP recap:

Defending champion Russia beat Belarus 3-1 to sweep all three of its group matches at the world ice hockey championship on Thursday.
Alex Ovechkin scored his third goal of the tournament, and Sergei Mozyakin and Artyom Anisimov also hit the back of the net as Russia jumped ahead 3-0 after 35 minutes. Goalie Semyon Varlamov saved 19 shots in his first action for Russia.
Alexei Kalyuzhny scored in the final period for Belarus.
Slovakia was facing Kazakhstan later Thursday with a chance to secure second place in Group A and a spot in the second round.
In Group C action, Norway fell behind 1-0 before scoring five unanswered goals for a 5-1 victory over France.
Stephane Da Costa's power play goal gave France a 1-0 lead in the first period. But Peter Lorentzen equalized and Patrick Thoresen added a goal and an assist in the Norway run.
Norway has six points and advanced to the second round.
France lost all three games and will challenge the United States, Italy and a third team against relegation.
The second Group C game has Sweden facing the Czech Republic.

And here's what happens when Ovechkin and Crosby are both out of the playoffs

Postseason futility brings up a tired debate. Still, there's not much else to do but read about it.

*By the numbers: Ovie-Crosby. (Bog)

*This story isn't over. (Bruce Arthur)

*Crosby a "choke picasso." (DC Landing Strip)

*Whose playoff exit was more disappointing? (Caps fans are exempt here.) (TSN)

Other odds and ends

*Rate Eric Fehr. (Japers' Rink)

*Brooks Laich, future hero. (Peerless)

*Montreal goes insane. (Puck Daddy)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  May 13, 2010; 1:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau: 'A couple weeks later, it still hurts'
Next: Tom Poti on eye injury: 'I was an idiot for not wearing' a visor

Comments

Finally a Pitt Writer gets it Right!!!

Posted by: darrylrbaker | May 13, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link, darrylrbaker.

"Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that so many of us laughed at Washington's Alex Ovechkin and accused him of gagging against the Montreal Canadiens in the first round of the playoffs? The Not-So-Great 8 could do nothing to prevent his Capitals -- the NHL's President's Trophy-winning team -- from losing Game 7 at home.

Well guess what?

That was Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Sergei Gonchar and Marc-Andre Fleury who hair-balled it against the Canadiens on this night.

...

Know this:

Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar and Fleury were embarrassed."

Funny.

Read more: http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/10133/1057872-87.stm#ixzz0npk30g6P

Posted by: youaresquishy | May 13, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, it doesn't give me that much solace to see Pittsburgh also lose to the Canadiens. Caps are, what 7-0-1 against Penguins over the last two seasons, 10-4-1 if you include the playoffs. And I didn't think Pittsburgh was as good of a team this year as they were last year, and I think the Capitals would've trounced Pittsburgh in the playoffs this year. I don't think a Canadiens victory over the Penguins was all that unforeseeable, and there's still no way the Capitals should have lost after being up 3-1, to a number 8 seed, even a good number 8 seed with a good goalie.

But, it is always fun to see the Penguins lose, just because I hate the Penguins.

Can we have Gonchar back though? I miss him.

Posted by: youaresquishy | May 13, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

And I wouldn't mind getting Cooke back either. If grit is what is needed, y'know, there's plenty of grit there. I think he's a free agent now. +17 for the Penguins this year, which was second on the team, and that's not bad.

Posted by: youaresquishy | May 13, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! LULZ

'bye-'bye, Penguins!

Interesting that the dirty player many of us Caps’ fans call "Orprick" was able to give credit where it was due:

""They beat Washington, now they beat us. I think it's time to give this team some credit for what they've done, rather than picking apart why we didn't do what we were supposed to do."

Unsurprising was that--again--Crosby could not do the same...

When will the hockey media finally wake up and realize that--highly skilled though he may be--Sid-the-Id is not the Stalwart Guardian of NHL Tradition/Golden Saviour of Canadian Hockey that everyone makes him out to be?

When will they see him as he truly is on a behavioral level? Which is at best a boor with about as much personality as a block of tofu, and at worst a petulant, ill-tempered brat prone to throwing violent, explosive tantrums when things don't go his way?

What he said when asked about the last night's 10 minute boarding misconduct on Josh Gorges:

"I don't know how that's a penalty 10 seconds into the game."

What he meant:

"Sure, anyone else who did that would find themselves thrown out of the game and maybe even suspended, but I don't know how that's a penalty on me"

GROW UP, Sid, for chrissakes!!! It’s a penalty, regardless of whether it:
--Happened in the first 10 seconds of the first game of the regular season, the last 10 seconds of Game 7 of the SCF, or anytime in-between.
--Was committed by a superstar from Cold Harbour, by a known goon from Saskatoon, or by anyone in-between.

You have spent your entire conscious life on the ice, Sid. It’s way past time you learned that the rules apply to everyone, and that a Penguin doesn’t have to fall for a penalty to apply. Start acting exemplary rather than exempt, and maybe you’ll begin to deserve some of the adulation heaped upon you.

Maybe Mario will evict him from his basement now.

Posted by: Rhino40 | May 13, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

You think Backstrom and Ovechkin are proven big game performers but Semin is inconsistent? I guess you missed the Rangers series where Ovi was struggling trying to do too much himself. Sure he had 3 goals, but two came in blowouts.

And how many points did Nick have in the last 3 games against the Habs? I know he was injured, but if it's not an excuse for Semin, it shouldn't be for him either. Also, Max Talbot scored 2 goals in game 7 against the Wings with two bum shoulders.

I'm not trying rag on our top guys, but these two always play with elite talent and sometimes even they fail to produce. Semin can't produce with Flash, Belanger, Laich, and fresh from injury/pressbox BMo and that proves he's not a big game performer?

And before the flaming starts, I realize that Semin is far from perfect. The only reason I defend him (and Green) so much is that fans solely blame them for the losses while giving their favorites a pass.

Posted by: ablake70 | May 13, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

there's no such thing as proven big game performers on a team that has lost 3 outta the last 4 playoff series... if they had one, they would have won more than one series.

Posted by: joek443 | May 13, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Although I am definitely “getting my Schädenfreude on” over the Penguins' demise, I must say that I have mixed feelings about the prospect of Montreal going all the way.

PRO:

1) I have always felt that, if the Caps could not win the Cup in a given year, it would be nice to see a team from Canada win out--even though I'm not Canadian. Except that I was kind of hoping that team to be Vancouver.

2) The Caps' first-round "collapse" is looking less like an "epic fail" with each round the Habs advance;

3) If the Habs win the Cup, there is that small consolation that, although the Caps fell, they fell to the eventual champions.

4) Chicago? Please! Though I feel kinship with the suffering of Cubs' fans, I just can't get behind a hockey team that would sign a >30-year-old player to a 12-year deal, or whose top young players beat up cabdrivers (if you want to see that $@&$&, follow the NBA). And they’ve won a Cup before, though it has been many years.

5) Though I grew up in the Bay Area, the Sharks did not exist back then. Anyway, they seem a little too "corporate" for my liking--know what I mean?

6) Boston? Meh. And I won't root for Philly, so don't even ask.

CON:

1) The Sharks are the only team left in these playoffs that has yet to win a Cup. Always nice to see a team win it all that has never done so before...just wish it could've been the Caps...*sigh*

2) The Habs have won more Stanley Cups than any other NHL Team...ever. And their fans never miss an opportunity to rub everyone else’s nose in it. Do they really need another? They are like the NHL equivalent of the New York Yankees, only worse; even if they should go 0-for-whatever for the next five years, their fans will still go from obnoxiously arrogant to absolutely insufferable during that same time frame (should they win the Cup this season).

I can just hear it now:

"What do you meen 'last place'?!?!?! Merde alors! Les Habitants are ze gretest franchize zat evair was or evair weel be! Eef you do not accept zis, you are a silly Anglais who knows noseeng aboat ze hockey!

No, thanks.

3) I want revenge BEFORE next Spring!!!

I would like to see Boston remove Philly though. This will set up an Eastern Conference Final rooted in one of the NHL's oldest and most bitter rivalries. You think the Caps and Pens hate each other? Check the history: to say that there is bad blood between the Bruins and Canadiens would be an understatement of cosmic proportions. Suffice to say, there will be blood.

Last thought: Is it just me, or do you just want to punch that guy on NHLOTF who constantly keeps saying "And also too"?

Come on.
Admit it.
Of course you do!

Posted by: Rhino40 | May 13, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | May 13, 2010 2:40 PM

Exactly!

Posted by: ablake70 | May 13, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

I'm talking about a playoff series. Every player has some off games. Look at Ovie's numbers in each playoff series. Seriously, are you saying Semin's are equivalent? Ovie has produced in every playoff series he has played in.

Backstrom has also produced in the playoff series'. He did not in the last 3 games but he did in the overall series (game 2 ring a bell).

@joek443

That statement is idiotic. First, you are taking an incredibly small sample size. So one bounce goes different in the Philly OT it is all of a sudden 2-2 and then everything is different.

Second, there are 20 players on a hockey roster, 19 playing. A player can play a very good game 7 and still lose the game. It happens in EVERY game 7. To say otherwise is Wilbonesque in that "well, the team lost, every played horrible and everyone choked".

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

Also, I am NOT asking to get rid of Semin. I want to KEEP him and think he is a very valuable piece to have on the team.

I am just differentiating him from Backstrom and Ovechkin. Those are two guys you expect to score a lot in every series they play.

I put Semin in the category of a guy who will light it up at times, but you know there will be a stretch when he goes cold. When that happens then you rely on the other scorers.

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin has had a lot of really big games in the regular season and in the Worlds. Also had two very good games in the Olympics. And had some great Playoff games.

HOWEVER, he has come up a bit short in SC Playoff game 7s (had a great game vs Philly when caps were down 3 games to 2 so you can't say he's an elimination game choker). I remember a guy from the Orioles had the same reputation until he hit two homers in Game 5 of the WS vs the Phillies in 1983. They called a choker before that but now there's a plaque in the hall of fame honoring my favorite baseball player of all time - Mr. Eddie Murray.

Ovi will get his too. Meanwhile, with Crosby and James crashing and burning, what will Wilbon do?

Posted by: tominfl1 | May 13, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and that was from:

tominca1

How is it by the way that I change out tominfl1 to become tominca1?

Posted by: tominfl1 | May 13, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Rhino40: awesome post!
tominfl1: good to see you back

Posted by: dccitizen1 | May 13, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

While it didn't count, I think Ovie's no-goal, goal, in game 7 this year was a clutch play that unfortunately the referee made an incorrect call on Knulbe (not on Ovie).

Also, look at Ovie's elimination game numbers:

9 games, 6 goals, 5 assists, 11 points, 1.22 per game, +6, 56 shots

Hardly coming up small. And that should be 7 goals (I'm still bitter about that call)

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

My money is on the Blackhawks, and I mean that literally. What a cool and interesting team! Plus they are 5-1 vs. the Sharks over their last six games, and I do not believe that's an accident, even though three of those wins were decided in overtime or shootout.

And the Hawks haven't won a Cup since 1961. and that was their only one in the 70 seasons before this one. 0 Cups in these 35 seasons for the Capitals is pretty depressing, I know, but considering how few other teams the Hawks had to contend with for most of the 70 previous seasons, that's got to be very depressing to be a long-time Hawks fan. I think it would be cool to see them win another one finally.

Posted by: youaresquishy | May 13, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

in honor of yesterday's fantastic event, if i may present:

Posted by: OVIwankanOVI | May 13, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

@ sgm3

Unfortunately, the playoffs are the best 4 out of 7. Racking up a lot of points in 1 or 2 games then disappearing the rest of the series does not equal "proven big game performer".

My argument is not about one guy being better than the other, it's about the team failing to accomplish it's mission. You cannot say that Ovi and Backstrom are proven big game players when their stat lines were 1-1-2 and 0-0-0 respectively in the 3 elimination games.

I'm not saying these guys will never win the big one, just that no one on this team has earned that status yet.

Posted by: ablake70 | May 13, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

any takes on good free agents to go after? (That are possible, that is.)

Knockout tournaments have a lot of randomness built in. That's why baseball (back when it was sensible about it), english football, other sports use the entire season to determine a champion. The knockout tournaments are big and popular but are seen as a separate thing...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | May 13, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

look at Ovie's elimination game numbers:

9 games, 6 goals, 5 assists, 11 points, 1.22 per game, +6, 56 shots

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Also, my arguments are more about not scapegoating 2 or 3 guys than defending individual players. If you switched Semin and Green's stats with Ovi and Backstrom's, I'd make the same argument. One goal in each of the 3 elimination games doesn't make anyone clutch.

Posted by: ablake70 | May 13, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

Backstrom contributed much more than just game 2. He had 5G 4A in the series. Semin ad 0G 2A. How are you even arguing Semin contrubuted as much as Backstrom?

I'm using these stats combined with YOUR arguments to show that Ovie and Backstrom are much more reliable than Semin.

The "bad" of Ovechkin and Backstrom (5G 5A and 5G 4A) is still a good playoff series by most indications. A "bad" playoff series for Semin is 0G 2A and 0G in the previous series (I don't remember what his assits were).

That is EXACTLY why I am saying Semin is not as reliable as Backstrom and Ovie. When those guys play "bad" they still make solid contributions to winning games in the series. When Semin goes bad he contributes almost nothing.

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

I'm not scapegoating Semin at all. He had an off series. It happens. I'm just saying that Semin having some off series' is to be expected.

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

If Ovie isn't clutch as you say, then who is?

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Semin might only be around one more year. Flash might not even BE AROUND one more year. Ovi, Backie, Laich, Knuble, Semin and Belanger (if he signs) fill two lines. Fehr is about ready for 2 line duty also. Trade Flash if you can use the money for Volchenkov. He will be much more useful to the team in the playoffs. No worries if Semin walks for nothing after the following year, you can use the $6M to get one of the many FAs willing to come to DC. As for Flash, he isn't suited to the 3rd line (neither is Fehr, really). You need a checking line ($3) and a grinding line (#4). We have grinders but not a solid checking line with guys ala Dahlen, Kono, Kelly Miller.

I agree sgm3 a borderline call goes the other way and who knows what happens.

Posted by: tominfl1 | May 13, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

I'm not too crazy about the idea of Belanger playing as a 2nd line center. I like Belanger as a possible 3rd or 4th line center but I'm not sure if there is a spot for him.

I think the Caps need to acquire a good 2nd line center (who, I don't know yet).

I put out the idea of trying MP as 3rd line center (not true checking line) and Belanger as 4th line center or Gordon or Steckel (I prefer Belanger). BB said MP has a very good shot of making the club next year. Hopefully he will.

I would then think of the MP line as an energy line. Maybe MP, Chimera, Fehr with Fehr as the sniper on the line and the other two as energy guys. Although he is small he does good work behind the net.

Having MP as the 3rd line center would also help keep costs down which could allow for a better free agent signing.

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

I love the idea of picking up Volchenkov and he is option #1, but other options for a defenseman include: Paul Martin, Dan Hamuis, Ian White (RFA, likely to be traded because of increased salary), Willie Mitchell, Pavel Kubina.

Thoughts on any of those?

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Typical Crosby - a whiner to the end. Of course you didn't know that a hit from behind was a penalty 'cause the refs never call it on you. Tool!

Put last year's Cup up there with the Canes, Ducks and Bolts: complete flukes. One and done! Move over losers, the Caps Cup dynasty will begin next season. Better get used to it.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | May 13, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

sgm3: Belanger was not as productive you'd want for #2 center, I agree. Ideally Perreault would setp up and do that by year's end, because Belanger was excellent as a checking line center (especially with faceoff ability). I'm not all that knowledgeable on all your other d-men, but Volchenkov would be a perfect fit from need and fitting in with his buddies. You can fit him if you trade Flash and Poti and then in following years if you don't have Semin past 2011.

Posted by: tominfl1 | May 13, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Since I had too much time on my hands I decided to pull up the stats for every elimination game of this Caps team.

Game 5 Flyers Final 3-2

Flash-Feds-Semin
Laich-Semin-Ovi
Kozlov-Backstrom-Ovi

Game 7 Pens 4-0 Pens lead before

Ovi
Laich-Flash

And you know the stats for the Habs. Where in those stats does it show that Ovi and Backstrom are more clutch than Semin or even Laich? To my eyes, those stats scream more Feds and Kozzy and a raise for Gordon and Brads.

Posted by: ablake70 | May 13, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

My comment was about dependability in referring to a guy being able to almost always make a significant contribution in every SERIES. Semin is 2 for 4. That is not dependable. I like Semin and want him on the team next year and in the playoffs. But to call Semin as dependable as Ovechkin or Backstrom over a series is foolish.

The Rangers and Flyers series' is exactly why I want Semin on the Caps because he will have a series like that and be huge and he will do it again.

Again, I'm not trying to criticize Semin, but game to game and series to series he is less consistent than Ovechkin or Backstrom.

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

I can see no way Flash is here next year unless he accepts a significantly lower salary then we assume he is going to get.

Trading Flash and something else (prospect, other veteran, draft pick, whatever it takes) for a 2nd line center or a top 4 D-man would be a way to go. Ideally the acquired player's salary wouldn't be too extreme yet (hopefully less than $4M/yr).

I think there could be a lot of tinkering to get guys under the cap. It wouldn't suprise me to see the 4th line forwards and/or 13th forward have one or two Hershey guys such as A. Gordon, Beagle, or Pinzotto. That is another way to keep salary down.

That would force the Caps to get rid of Bradley. I don't want to do this but it might be necessary to help make room for a 2nd line center. Then you can hopefully have a grinding 4th line with lots of energy that the young guys bring. Being on the 4th line can help ease them into the NHL too.

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Another name to throw into the UFA fray is Matt Cooke.

How do people feel about him possibly becoming a Cap again? He is probably going to be paid too much to play as a 3rd line winger for the Caps so is probably not an option since the Caps need to throw their money at different needs (D, 2nd line center), but it would be interesting.

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

sgm3: I was thinking to move Flash for prospects or picks (no cap hit) if you sign a FA with the money. That was the thinking with Volchenkov. Otherwise, moving for a veteran D not too high salary not bad move. Flash is only one eyar from UFA so likley you'd get a similar player back with no long-term cap hit. I hated it when Cooke left was real value for $1.2M. How nice third line with Chimera-Belanger-Cooke? Three pests to bug the daylights out of opposing forwards. Then 4th line Bradley-Steckel-Gordo or Beagle or A Gordon. I don't see issue with making Perreault second line center for the year and then augmenting next March 1st if needed. You don't need the Playoff roster from Day One. Same thing Varly and Neuvy in goal and rent-a-vet if need be next spring.

Posted by: tominfl1 | May 13, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

CHOKING DOGS!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | May 13, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

I agree that the Caps don't need to get the playoff roster set by day 1. The possibility of playing MP as 2nd line center and seeing how he develops is intriguing and it keeps cap costs down to better enable trades near the deadline.

The thouhgt of Chimera/Belanger/Cooke is a perfect agitator line that will chip in a few goals and draw some penalties. I think Cooke is a good PK guy too.

But the Caps should absolutely get their D man in the offseason and not wait for the trade deadline. Top D-men at the trade deadline cost too much.

I'm hoping for Volchenkov but another person threw out the idea of possibly trading for Markov. The thought being that Mtl needs to get rid of some salary if they hope to re-sign Halak, Price and Plekanec. Markov has 1 yr left at $5.75/yr. That may be too much but maybe some juggling could make it work.

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone think it's funny that the Caps website did not do graphic or splash page thanking the fans? I think they may be sending a message without sending a message.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | May 13, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

From Tom Boswell's chat today:

Kearneysville, W. Va.: Yes, you are correct, the Habs did beat the Pens and Capitals. Can we now say that guy Crosby is over rated since his 'team' lost to Montreal and he only scored one goal in seven games? These comparisons seem ridiculous.

Tom Boswell: Oh, I thought Crosby missed the whole series with an injury. Wasn't he out with two broken ankles?

He played like it.

See the rest of his answer at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2010/05/11/DI2010051102516.html

Posted by: wocoliz | May 13, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

CHOKING DOGS!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | May 13, 2010 5:14 PM

nice pens reference

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 13, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Any one of those players can also come up BIG in game 7s and score the winning goal.. and so far the only player who has come up big in such a game in the last 3 years is a 40-year old center who is no longer with the team.

I don't wanna hear any more EXCUSES from the players, the coaches or the apologists like you on here... just make a GD play for once when your team needs it and win the darn game.

everyone talks about Halak and the defense of the Habs as they should but whenever they get a scoring chance, their snipers just bury the puck in the net every time. those are the players who deserve to be called "proven big game players".

Posted by: joek443 | May 13, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Did anybody else notice that Fedorov has assisted on all three goals scored by Ovechkin at the 2010 IIHF World Championships? Now don't any of you think that maybe if he had been playing for the Caps this year they might have scored at least enough extra goals against the Canadians to win that first round playoff series? What would that have been worth to the Caps management? Perhaps whoever decided to go in a different direction instead of resigning Sergei ought to be fired.

Posted by: dwollkind | May 13, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dwollkind

What (s)he said - especially since I have a nice new red Feds jersey ;^)

Posted by: ebolean1 | May 13, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

I would LOVE to have Matt Cooke back, and I said that not too long ago under a previous entry here.

If grit is what the Caps need, there's a lot of grit there. He was also +17 this year which was second-best on the Penguins team. I think his deal with the Penguins was $1.2 million, and despite having a good year, he also proved he's got discipline issues, which I would guess lowers demand for him somewhat. I don't think he's gonna be that expensive. I would love to see Cooke in a Capitals uniform again.

I guess he's listed at LW, so I dunno if the Caps need a LW so much. I'd definitely rather have him than Fleischmann at this point. Fleischmann, to me, seems to be the kind of player that offers the Caps diminishing returns. Almost every other team in the league needs the kind of player Fleischmann is more than the Caps do. Let the Wings have him back.

Posted by: youaresquishy | May 13, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

I was sad to see Fedorov go as well, although he's definitely pretty old now, so I dunno how much NHL-level fuel he really has left. Kozlov can definitely stay in Russia though.

Posted by: youaresquishy | May 13, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

That was a very in depth look to see who played well in the Caps playoff series. You cite the person with the game winning goal in game 7 as the only guy who has played well and then state how no one else "stepped up" to say how everyone else played a bad game.

I am citing to the entire series'. Ovie has "stepped up" in all of them, look at his production. Backstrom has as well (look at his production). If others followed suit there would be no need for a game 7.

I find it amazing that a person assumes an entire team played bad if they lose a game. Two game 7s were by one goal. Guess what, every player on the Caps did not play bad in those games. Some players made mistakes and performed poorly, but not all.

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

@youaresquishy

Flash is almost definitely gone. Like you said, he has a lot more value to basically every other team than he does to the Caps. The Caps should take advantage of this and trade him for equal value (in other teams rankings) which would be increased value in terms of Caps rankings.

Then Cooke and Chimera could be the 3rd and 4th line wingers. I do like the idea of Chimera/Belanger/Fehr as the 3rd line and Cooke/Gordon(or Steckel)/Bradley(or A. Gordon or Pinzotto).

You could also switch Cooke with Chimera.

Posted by: sgm3 | May 13, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Dear customers, thank you for your support of our company.
Here, there's good news to tell you: The company recently
launched a number of new fashion items! ! Fashionable
and welcome everyone to come buy. If necessary,
welcome to :==== http://www.smalltrade.net =======