Ovechkin Sets Caps' ASG Points Mark, Gets Caught Lookin'

Alex Ovechkin scored a goal, had two assists and also netted a goal in the shootout -- against goaltending nemisis Roberto Luongo -- to help the Eastern Conference win the NHL All-Star Game, 12-11, at Bell Center tonight.

But Ovechkin's most memorable moment didn't have anything to do with the game. Late in the second period, the JumboTron over center ice showed two young women holding beers and dancing to the beat during a break in the action. The camera then cut to Ovechkin, who was watching the girls on the screen and was saying, "Oooooooh."

Sooo busted.

Of course, all 21,273 fans in the building cracked up with laughter. Ovechkin, too, let out a hearty chuckle.

"They were dancing pretty well, and I said, 'Wow!'" Ovechkin told me moments ago. "I don't think the camera was going to look straight at me."

More important, Ovechkin is now the Capitals' all-time leading scorer in the all-star game. He has six points (four goals, two assists) in four games. That's one more point that Peter Bondra.

Also, sorry again for the relative lack of posts this weekend. The wireless internet system at Bell Centre did not allow me (or others) to connect to our blogging software long enough to put up entries with any frequency. Oh well.

Updated:Video proof:

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 25, 2009; 10:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kovalchuk Brokers Ovechkin-Malkin Peace
Next: All-Star Game Notes

Comments

Ovi is the man. Should have been ASG MVP.

Posted by: crooks_c | January 25, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

How can you not luv Ovie?? Best thing to happen to the NLH in a long long time!!!!

Posted by: cbs75 | January 25, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

As much fun as I did have watching the ASG, I do wish Ovie would put on a serious hat a little bit and just destroy a few of those guys with his skill and speed. He had a few nice moves towards the end of the game, and one particularly nice stick-handle in OT -- but I wish he 'd just take some frustration out and embarrass some of these guys.

Semin would have.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | January 25, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

@ Rachel, not sure of that is good or a curse with Melrose. He even thinks it will be us against the Wings in the SC.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 25, 2009 10:27 PM

I love Ovie, but not sure if he should have gotten MVP. Many players had 3 points including Kovalev. Kovalev had 2 goals plus the shootout game winner. Don't think there was much of a doubt and I can't disagree with it.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 25, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

@DrinkingPartner

SEMIN would have!??!

bahahahahaa

Posted by: ralph4100 | January 25, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Wow. How long did it take Bondra to set his record?

Way to go, OVI!

Posted by: irockthered | January 25, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: terrapin2930 | January 25, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

lol nice Ovie, nice... he should say something on twitter about that.

Posted by: rh71 | January 25, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

ovie doesnt have the hands of kovalev, st louis, etc.

semin has better hands than ovie.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 25, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

also getzlaf, for being a huge guy, has really slick stick handling skills.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 25, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

@terrapin,

I'm going to put that video in the blog post. thanks.

Posted by: el_bashir | January 25, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

No sweat. Can't take credit though ... just went to YouTube and there it was!

Posted by: terrapin2930 | January 25, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

[SMOKEY]
Hey, Rock, remember those twins we took a ride with,
Operatin' side by side with,

[ALL]
Yeah? Yeah?

[SOMKEY]
We're out of gas three miles from Philly,

[ROCKY]
The night is warm, the sky's a dilly,

[ALL]
Yeah? Yeah?

So I suggest we sleep beneath a tree

[ROCKY]
Four minds with a single thought

[SMOKEY]
I look at my girl,

[ROCKY]
I look at mine

[SMOKEY]
Then with one fell swoop-

[ALL]
But then they thought about the game!
The game, the game!

[ROCKY & SMOKEY]
Oh, yes, we thought about the game!

[ALL]
The game, the game!
to our women one and all,
We will see you in the fall,
But for now we've got to stall,
Every dame!
And think about the game!
Think about the game,
Think about the, think about the, think about the, think about the,
Think about the game!

Posted by: Greg S. | January 25, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Hahahaha. It's his right. :) Nothing wrong with watching the girls, as long as he doesn't do it when he's on the ice.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 26, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Not just Alex...look at all the guys behind him...priceless.

Posted by: SPKK | January 26, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse