Ovechkin Skating With Rookies (Updated)

This is not exactly breaking news, but you might be interested to know that your league MVP, Alex Ovechkin, is on the ice for rookie camp (though he doesn't appear to be taking part in the strenuous skating drills.) One can only imagine what a guy like a camp invitee like Michael Dubuc thinks when No. 8 goes whizzing past.

Update: Anton Gustafsson did not skate today. GM George McPhee said that yesterday's skate aggravated his herniated disc. McPhee, though, doesn't think the flare-up will sideline him the rest of camp.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 15, 2008; 10:35 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rookie Camp Begins
Next: Rookie Camp: Day Two

Comments

Just posting because no one else has, and because I love the Caps and reading all of the incisive posts on this blog. Not to mention Tarik's updates.

Back to lurking.

Ciao, all.

Posted by: newbie | September 15, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

The must be a trip for the rookies.

Posted by: usiel | September 15, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Let's hope Ovie doesn't hurt himself like Backstrom or hurt someone else for that matter ;)

Posted by: Capies | September 15, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I think everyone is ready for the season to start.

Posted by: Tim | September 15, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

i'm sure OV is shooting on Varlamov and Neuvirth ...are they getting creamed? or doing a decent job?

Posted by: capsfan98 | September 15, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

He just can't stay away from the ice!

Posted by: I heart Ovie | September 15, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

The rookies are just doing skating drills/tests right now, and Ovechkin is watching from the bench. No pucks yet.

Posted by: Tarik | September 15, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Got to love that kid, wow.

Maybe he wants to get out there and make Neuvirth look bad so Varlamov gets the Hershey spot :O

Posted by: TJ | September 15, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Didn't Tarik say that OV had all the Russian kids over to his house for a home made meal from his mother, Tatianna. Now that's very cool!

That puts a whole new twist on Den Mother, eh...

Posted by: RestonCapFan | September 15, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Sure wish I could be there! I need more hockey in my life. Anybody out there a doctor that can write me a note to get out of class for a day? :-D

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | September 15, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

My goodness, Ovechkin really has this role model thing down! Here we have the league MVP and the player voted the best by his peers so enthusiastic about his team that he comes to Rookie Camp.

I realize that other players are probably also there, and other team stars are probably at their camps. However, there is just something intangible and special about the way Alex walks the team talk.

Posted by: Kim | September 15, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Ovie is the greatest.

Posted by: Jordan | September 15, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Typo:

Michael Dubuc is thinks when No. 8 goes whizzing past.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

So Tarik, is he doing "Herbies" with the rookies? If so I'm wondering how if his off-season training at Dynamo helped him out.

Posted by: Tuvan Hillbilly | September 15, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

he wasn't doing any Herbies. but he's doing drills now.

Posted by: Tarik | September 15, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the updates as always Tarik, keep them coming... need our hockey fix.

Posted by: rh71 | September 15, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one starting to look at this team and see similarities with the Patriots, Spurs, and Red Wings? Gary Bettman and NBC must be pinching themselves as they realizes it's possible they will have the league's marquee players (OV and Crosby) annually battling for the East the way Brady and Manning do in the AFC. Let's hope the Caps are Brady (and the Cap fans don't become like the obnoxious Boston fans).

Posted by: Matt | September 15, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

"I hope no one notices that I just pooped my pants." -What I was thinking yesterday when #8 went whizzing by

Posted by: Michael Dubuc | September 15, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

It shows more of OV's character. Helping rookies, taking them under his wing, after taking a contract that by the end of his career will be shown to be a bargain for the team. It certainly helps morale!

Posted by: Leeguru | September 15, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

just another example of why OV is truly MVP quality

Posted by: cam | September 15, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, any news on Anton? Corey over at the Times is saying that he isn't skating today

Posted by: Cush | September 15, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Is Green out with the kids?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Gustafsson should have stayed in Sweden, as a matter of fact, he should stay there period.

Posted by: Chief | September 15, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Anton...don't be a baby

Posted by: swede fan | September 15, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else go to the Mystics game yesterday to get Ovie's autograph? I did, and am now kicking myself for not realizing/finding out that the young Russians he had with him were actually Caps prospects!

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | September 15, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Just thought I'd pass this along:

I saw Nylander skating at Rockville Ice Arena this past weekend.. I asked my friend who works there and says that he's been skating there everyday, twice a day. Said he's looking very good/quick out there. He talked to him real briefly and Nyls told him that he's very ready for the start of the season, feels great, and he believes this is the best team he's played on.

Good to hear for sure..

Tarik,
Have Greener and Laich returned yet?

Posted by: Jay | September 15, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Yeah! Chief has reappeared and his infalliable wisdom, too! Remind us again, just how much hockey PLAYING experience do you have (not counting playstation)? Have you ever experienced a herniated disk as a sports injury (bending over to pick up some food that fell off your shirt and blowing your back from your enormous gut doesn't count)? Since you have no clue what it is to be an athlete, go back to the basement.

Posted by: JIM | September 15, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

You rock, OV. What more could you want from your franchise player?

Posted by: Nick | September 15, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I think Green is back but not sure if hes been out and about?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I've heard Mike Gartner on XM Satellite Radio; when he was told that Caps will retire his number, he said, "Cool, I can meet Ovechkin"

Posted by: Dave King | September 15, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl

One time I had stopped in an Alabama shopping mall and skated on rented figure skates. Ended up busting my finger and having it in a splint (long story. It was my middle finger and I had fun for 2 weeks giving my boss-lady the finger all the time).

I threw the thing away after a few weeks, and wouldn't you know, I rebroke it washing dishes. So I went back to the doc who wrote a prescription for me to NOT wash dishes for 2 weeks.

I'll see what he can do for you. :)

Posted by: Greg S. | September 15, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Green skated after the rookies yesterday.

Posted by: Ken | September 15, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, is Green back yet. I heard most back. Maybe list of who is not back is shorter?

Hey, did BB really say Nylander on 3rd line? or is he going with two 2nd lines?
If not 2 2nd lines, why would you waste the best center on 3rd line? If you still want Backstronm at center, why not put Nyls at wing with Backstrom and Ovy?

Posted by: GreenieFan | September 15, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

yeah, I like that line; Ovy, Backstrom and Nyls. Wow! pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, (all in the matter of 2 seconds) then to Ovy he scores!

Posted by: OVy888888 | September 15, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

just figured we could have a Swede line next year: Anton , Nyls and backstrom. Then Nyls will have two sons (or is it little brothers) to play with ;-)

Posted by: anton | September 15, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Lang's been traded from Chicago to Montreal.

Posted by: Greg S. | September 15, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

@dave king,

Minor detail, It was actually gartner saying he told his kid and his kid said "cool, i get to meet ovechkin!"

Im sure gartner thinks its cool to get to meet ovie, but it would sound funny to hear a hall of famer say it

Posted by: O-V-P | September 15, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

It must be pretty cool to be a fringe kid skating with Ovechkin. I imagine that its fun. But I wonder, do the non-russians feel snubbed? Is anyone hosting them and feeding them dinners?

Posted by: oo7 | September 15, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Did Green skate today?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

On Ovie being there and being the role model etc etc... The thing that strikes me about it is that he impression is not that he's trying to appear the leader and role model, he's just being himself. It's a combination of can't stay away and wanting to see the future of the team - with that 13 year deal, that's his future.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | September 15, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

@ Chief
Please crawl back under the rock you came from in whichever festering cesspool of a town in Pennsylbama. Are you so afraid of the Caps that you need there draft picks to stay away? Afraid of the next Gustafsson?

Oh and Chief was injured in a sports accident, if you count the time his drunken mother dropped him on his head on the pool table at the bar. Pool is consider a sport in Pennsylbama!

Posted by: Bob | September 15, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

If a "prospect" is not capable of competing & participating, he should not be out there.
He should remain in Sweden until he "feels" well enough to play

Posted by: Chief | September 15, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Greg S,
Thanks! I must say, that might be the best doc's note I've ever heard. Although my professors might even take a "She's interviewing at my company" note. They ask us on a daily basis now if we have interviews set up and/or jobs. Senior year is starting to suck like a 24/7 off-season.

Ovie is a complete class act. So glad he's ours!! Crosby can hand deliver all the season tickets he wants. I'll take a future captain and reigning MVP skating with the rookies any day. I'm sure most of them can't help but think the Caps are the best team in the league to play for when he takes the time to skate with them. I'm getting so excited for the start of the season!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | September 15, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Stop talking to Chief.

Posted by: Ben | September 15, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

When you have to, you have to. I agree with Chief on this. The kids got an injury that will take time to heal. He needs to give it that time, and not rush it. We saw that last year with Clark and Semin being pushed into service before they were healed. What good came of that for us or them?

Posted by: Greg S. | September 15, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Chief, it flared up, meaning it it began to bother him. He's already here, no point in just going home, especially if it might subside.

Posted by: nhcaps | September 15, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Now, Bob, there's no reason to get upset at Chief. The guy isn't a real critic, after all, he's a performance artist. Nothing he says is meant seriously, so there's no reason to take him seriously. I think he's hilariously funny, myself, and have great fun laughing at all his absurdist posts.

Posted by: norske | September 15, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
I was in Calgary over the weekend, and yes...Canada is already in hockey overdrive. TSN was reporting on their hockey show that now that Sundin is out for Vancouver, they will put their focus on Nylander.

Report also had Syndor going to Washington from the Pens, because of the problems between him and Coach T.

What do you think?

Posted by: Steve Angeline | September 15, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I think that anything more than a used equipment bag for a 36 year old defensemen is overpaying.

Posted by: Section 117 | September 15, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Sydor 10 years ago = YES!!
Sydor now = no effing way, our depth guys are already better than him (erskine, jurcina)

Posted by: O-V-P | September 15, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Why would we make any change right now 9ala Syndor from pitt, or Nyl Vanc)? Call me dumb; never heard of Syndor. And why does Pittsburgh want to dump him? Doesn't sound like a top D to me....

Posted by: nochanges | September 15, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Steve - Really? Thats all rumor. Its just Ecklund BS.

Nylander has a no trade clause. And a D coming to the Caps, I mean really?

Think a little before you ask questions.

Posted by: TJ | September 15, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Who gets to five wins first - The Caps or the Redskins? Which game draws more people: 12/28 Washington Redskins at SF 49ers or 12/28 Toronto Maple Leafs at Washington Capitals? How long before Dan Snyder goes Peter Angelos and declares there are no Hockey fans in Washington?

Posted by: Austin, TX | September 15, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

@O-V-P

Thanks, actually I just started the car and heard that, and I thought it was Gartner himself.

Posted by: Dave King | September 15, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Who gets to five wins first - The Caps or the Redskins?

Redskins

Redskins

Never

It's great seeing the caps viewed as an upper tier organization again and for long time fans such as myself it's a little vindicating. Still, don't confuse the Caps and the Skins. This is and always will be a Skins town and for the most part, a football country.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse