Ovechkin suspended two games

The NHL has suspended Alex Ovechkin two games for his knee-on-knee hit on Carolina's Tim Gleason on Monday night, I have been told.

The suspension, which is without pay, is the first of Ovechkin's career and means he'll miss Thursday's game against Florida and Saturday's game in Philadelphia. He will forfeit $98,844.16 of his salary for the two games.

"I regret that this has happened," Ovechkin said in a statement. "I'm glad that Tim wasn't injured because I never ever want to see anyone get hurt. I am disappointed to miss these games and I can't wait to get back on the ice next week to help my team."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 1, 2009; 4:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau on Ovechkin: 'He's pretty reckless'
Next: Morning roundup: NHL hits back

Comments

This seems completely fair and appropriate. Shows that there wasnt any pre-meditated intent to injure but also says watch what you're doing dude.

Posted by: JSchon | December 1, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

At least that'll force him to stay off it and get some rest. Thank you NHL for helping to protect OV.

Posted by: McB1981 | December 1, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully this is enough to get him to think a bit more and to make the haters happy.

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 1, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Not too surprising but it's insignificant if he has sustained a major injury.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | December 1, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I have to say, I didn't know there was a "Kneeing" penalty to begin with, nor do I think Ovechkin had any intent to knee. I think he was going for the body check, but it seemed his style of skating (almost squatting at times) might need to be adjusted for the future if he doesn't want this happen more.

Now how does his injury affect this?

Posted by: mattbuckley80 | December 1, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

What Ovy has lost that will cost more than 2 games is any benefit of the doubt from the refs or the League. The boarding major he received several games ago is evidence of that -- no way he should have been earned a major penalty and been ejected, but his reputation is geting such that the referees won't think twice about penalizing him harshly and the NHL may subject him to greater fines and suspension lengths if he's not careful.

Posted by: braunt | December 1, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Boudreau calling Ovy "reckless" helped

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

If Gleason had been knocked out with a season ending knee injury, I think the suspension would have been closer to 8 games if not more.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Well, I had negotiated one game suspension, I guess Campbell ignored my circumstantial evidence relative to Gleason guilt.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

with backstrom back on his game again, this will be a good chance for him to lead the team

Posted by: gocaps01 | December 1, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

@ cstanton
laraque got 5 games for kronwall's 4-8 week injury so it would probably be longer then 8 games

Posted by: gocaps01 | December 1, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

This should serve Ovi some notice. I appreciate his style of play, but he does need to be a responsible and respectful player. I am sure he would claim he is. The last thing I want to see is him seriously hurt. Nor do I want to see any player hurt. Having kids who play hockey makes many of us a bit more sensitive to injury. My oldest son had a teammate whose femur was broken from a similar type hit in open ice. It was gruesome and required a long recovery.

Posted by: Steakum | December 1, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Now I'm even more upset with the call during the Buffalo game...that's total BS. Yes - he definetly kneed in Carolina - but the boarding call shouldn't have been a factor in his suspension as it was clearly the wrong call. I don't mind loosing Ovie for 2 games (it's fun to watch the caps without him) but the BS coming out of Colin Cambell's office has to stop.

Posted by: patrone | December 1, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Prob a good thing he's not playing against Philthy because you know theyd be gunning for that sore knee

Posted by: skinzfan4 | December 1, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinzfan4 | December 1, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

@ cstanton

Posted by: gocaps01 | December 1, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

yeah but there's always been a double-standard about how stars and fringe players get treated. It would be very difficult for the NHL to suspend Ovy for a long period of time. It affects league revenue. Its much easier to dump a player like Laraques.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Why does this leave me less then happy? ugh.

Posted by: EricS2 | December 1, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

It makes no sense that Laracque got 5 games for a 4-8 week injury and Ovechkin got 2 games for a one minute injury.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Steakum
totally agree. This seems fair and appropriate. Hopefully this will give him some perspective and he will move on from this and have a great rest of the season.

Posted by: capscoach | December 1, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I think there should be a suspension for some of the posters in here. I think I should get at least a 7 thread ban.

Posted by: JSchon | December 1, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, not sure why that posted twice.

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of line combos BB comes up with on Thursday.

Lastly, while 33 did seem stuck in some mud at times last night he was still a +3 I believe so something should be said for that

Posted by: skinzfan4 | December 1, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Good - perfect outcome. He was not handled with kiddy gloves. This team without him can beat the Panthers, they have before, and it helps that we're on home ice.

Philly is a different story. If semin isn't back that could be a rough one, but a good test.

That and he gets almost a week of healing and THINKING.

Posted by: BACKS | December 1, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

After watching this video I adamantly disagree with the penalty and the suspension. Compare it to other kneeing penalties and you can see that this was definitely without intent. This decision was a "wake up call" from the league to Ovi, here's hoping he lets his voicemail pick it up.

Posted by: jesstyr | December 1, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

boooooo. there was no malicious intent in this hit or the hit against buffalo; just freak, happenstance instances

Posted by: hockeypunk | December 1, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

No big deal, he was probably going to sit those games out anyway to make sure his knee was okay. At least Sasha comes back to take his place on the 1st line.

Posted by: jmontemayor32 | December 1, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

My lines...

Semin/Backs/Fehr
Flash/Mo/Laich
Steckel/Perreault/Giroux
Sloan/Beagle/Bradley

Posted by: JSchon | December 1, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Just get better Ovi!

Posted by: capsfan01 | December 1, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Now we can beat the Flyers and laugh right in their face...

If we lose, we can blame it on the fact that Ovie was out...

Posted by: SA-Town | December 1, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I was in the group sort of hoping for a short suspension with the hope it slows down Ovie just a little so he would be less likely to suffer a serious injury like he almost did last night.

However, the more I think about it and read Ovie's comments I have a feeling he will come out like a caged animal on Monday and will be hitting anything and everything in site to show that this won't effect his game. I now really doubt the suspension will have any effect on him. I think the only thing that could do that would be a serious injury, but clearly none of us want that.

I love that he hits and hits hard, I only hope his style of play won't lead to any serious injuries.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 1, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

A concern I have is who will be Ovi's enforcer now that the league office is essentially telling him he can't act on his own behalf. That is to say that his wrecking ball style was an effective method to keeping the thugs at bay. Now, as I see it, that threat is potentially diminished.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | December 1, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Does his money come off of our cap hit?

Posted by: SA-Town | December 1, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

2 games is about what I would have expected. Seems reasonable. The consensus here from non-trolls seems to be "not intentional but reckless." As with a high stick penalty, a player must be held responsible for maintaining control regardless of intent.

The "learning experience" for Ovi is a plus. The real negative is to his reputation and the hair trigger refs may have on the raised arm in the future. Keep it real, Ovi, but be careful.

Posted by: Sonyask | December 1, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Clearly a bunch of whining Penguin fans on this poll!

It's hockey not badminton!!

Posted by: Jaymand | December 1, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

jesstyr - A bit of a wake up call for Ovie as you say, but perhaps also a way to pacify the Don Cherry types who think "something must be done to stop the madman".

Posted by: gonchpup | December 1, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

OK, Colin Campbell has weighed in... So what time is McPhee's press conference to offer us full disclosure on the injury?

Posted by: griz0615 | December 1, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

The suspension was warranted and hopefully will send Ovie a message about reckless play. I felt that the Caps were lucky during the playoffs last year when Ovie clearly kneed Gonchar and only received a 2 minute minor. His pattern of borderline overaggressive also put him at risk for injury. He was fortunate that he was not more seriously hurt and hopefully will listen to what GMGM and BB said after the game.

I'm a huge Caps fan and its hard to put ourselves in the shoes of another team. If we were in Carolina's shoes and the same thing had been done to Green or Poti, we would have expected a major suspension and considered it a dirty play. I hope that Ovie's knee heals quickly and he's back after the suspension. It doesn't appear to be an injury that will sideline him for a long period of time.

Posted by: wizfan89 | December 1, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Semin won't be ready for Thurs...

will prob see:

Flash/Backie/Fehr
Clark/BMo/Laich
Steck/MP85/Giroux
Sloan/Beagle/Brads

Running out of depth...the Nyls delay is killing GMGM's flexibility. They'll prob. have to put someone on retro LTIR soon to make space if Sasha isn't ready or if they need to move Sloan back and call up another forward.

...perfect storm is brewing...

Nyls
Injuries/Suspensions
Close to the cap ceiling

will challenge the depth and flexibility of the organization.

Posted by: netminder71 | December 1, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

So, capologists, does 2 Ovi games come off the cap, treated like LTIR, or something else?

Posted by: Sonyask | December 1, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

i think 2 games is appropriate. it gets the NHL off the hook for not suspending superstars but also doesnt really cost ovie any time cause i'm guessing he was going to miss those games anyway.

beyond the issue of injuring himself, i think ovie needs to think about whether clearing out gleason was the right play to make at the time. if he creams him dead on, maybe a turnover occurs in front of the goalie. however, these are NHL players and are usually pretty good at avoiding open ice hits with their heads up...as gleason almost did but for ovies wide stance. and i gather gleason is not the most nimble player in the league. the better play is probably to come in under some control and force gleason to make a bad pass. i think that's what ovie needs to learn from this.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 1, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

sgm3 - I agree with you. I don't think Ovie will ease off the throttle one bit. Think about it... he was assessed a misconduct 2 games earlier and knew another major in the next 41 would pretty much guarantee a suspension. He is what he is and that's why he is the leagues single biggest draw.

Posted by: gonchpup | December 1, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

On silencing Ovi-haters... It will never happen until he has 3 SC's with his name on it.

Remedy, fist fights and rock throwing.

Posted by: JSchon | December 1, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

"...means he'll miss Thursday's game against Florida and Saturday's game in Philadelphia."

Those heading to Broad Street just let out a collective sigh of relief.

Posted by: Fro_ | December 1, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

sonyask, does not come off the cap. otherwise mcphee would have had nylander out there in game one to two hand a guy with his stick, guage his eyes out and carve 92 in his forehead with his stick...something to get him suspended for the season....

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 1, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

gonchpup - keep in mind, I was saying I hope he ignores the wake up call. Based on looking at the hit, I dont see how the injury could be major, it is probably a significant contusion. That said, the only long term fear I have is the NHL taking a harder line on him.

Posted by: jesstyr | December 1, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I have the impression Oveshkin is a pretty decent guy. I don’t think the prospect of an injury to himself would detract him to play his usual game. I only see him changing his style if god’s forbid he seriously injured someone, maybe a season ending or career ending.

Posted by: guer_j | December 1, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

i wonder if the knee on knee collision with gonchar had anything to to do with the suspension

Posted by: gocaps01 | December 1, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

saintex, and others who made this point:

Yes, you are so right. Briiliant point. "I also think that Ovi is filling the role of the muscle on this team...If someone takes liberties, when he's on the ice or on the bench, he will line them up and make them pay. I think that add'l role has something to do with his aggression this year."

I hadn't thought of it but, yes, Ovie sometimes takes responsibility for the whole team. If we are on a losing streak, he feels it is up to him singlehandedly to turn things around. It makes sense that he feels the responsibility to keep other teams in line. It is the pressure he puts on himself that frustrates him and not his personal agenda.

Okay BB, take your boy straight to a therapist during the next week. Or maybe to Al Anon meetings about not taking responsibility for dysfunctions.

I am SO relieved that we solved the problem.

I still don't see an enforcer as the answer. He will just cause us even more penalties and escalate aggression. No it's discipline and daily Al Anon or AA meetings for Alex.

Posted by: |

Posted by: caraveli | December 1, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to Philthy but I admit its fun to watch without him...if Backstrom can control like he did yesterday and Semin is back then I'll take my chances in that philthy town.

Posted by: jeets | December 1, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

What's with that poll? No choice on whether 1 was OK which was mandatory. I don't really care about the suspensions, I'm just glad he's not hurt worse than he is. He likely would have missed one game anyway.

I can't imagine that he won't be a little more cautious but I still expect him to be near the top in hits, but any time someone reduces their penalties that is a good thing.

The way things are going it sure looks like he's gonna have a hard time three-peating the Hart, in part due to some pretty stiff competition this year. I'll settle for a trip to the Stanleys.

Posted by: rjma1 | December 1, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe one game was mandatory. It's mandatory if the game misconducts are for the same type of infraction, I believe - which they weren't.

Posted by: snakegriffin | December 1, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Are you guys serious? Slow OV down, make him play less reckless, CHANGE HIS SKATING STYLE? Are you even hockey fans? Do you understand the mechanics of skating fast and powerful? Or that for almost any player to make it to the NHL they have to learn to play with "Reckless abandon"? I know DC hasn't paid attention to hockey for years but this level of ingnorance is just shameful.

Also, two games for that accident is a joke. Especially when Malkin jumps third man in during the playoffs last year and didn't even get two minutes. I think this is the NHL trying to make sure OV doesn't get a monopoly on the Hart and Rocket trophies...

Posted by: rovingbandit | December 1, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about the Hart?

There's only one award that really matters.

I'll take 1 SC and 0 Harts over 10 Harts straight and 0 SCs.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 1, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: griz0615

don't hold your breath - there will never be a full disclosure from the front office - ovi may slip in an interview though

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 1, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1 no way does Ovechkin get 8 games if Gleason was out longer. Like it has been said Laraque only got five games and that was for clearly sticking his leg out late because he had been beat. Ovechkin had his leg out for balance to make the hit and when Gleason tried to avoid the hit that is how it went knee to knee. What Ovechkin did was suspendable but clearly wasn't intentional like Laraque's was.

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 1, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

aw man, 98 grand? that's more than 2 years pay for me!

Posted by: hockeypunk | December 1, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

The 'Canes fans should be suspended too. Booing a guy when he is hurt and being help of the ice in obvious pain. Do they think if they act like Philly fans the team will start winning like Philly?

Posted by: ds_kelly | December 1, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Given the Flyer's current slump, I'm wondering what kind of deal Ed Snider (Philthy's owner) made with Bettman/Campbell to keep Ovie out of their game? And don't tell me that kind of stuff doesn't happen. These guys talk, and Snider is one of the more senior and "respected" owners.

I can't believe the number of Caps fans here who think the suspension, much less the major and misconduct penalties, were fair. What's wrong with you people? Your computers too old and slow to watch video?

Suspending goons like Laraque are one thing, who deliberately attempt to injure, but this one really isn't even a close call. Very disappointed in the NHL.

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | December 1, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

60% of 801 fans think Ovie should have been suspended.

With friends like these who needs enemies.

Posted by: large23220 | December 1, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes to OV for a speedy recovery, and GO CAPS!

On a lighter note: Don Cherry has a lot of nerve to be criticizing OV for "being too flamboyant" or "not respecting the traditions of the NHL"...

Even some of his fellow Canadians agree...

Enjoy...

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 1, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Exile: most Caps fans have never skated in their life. His knee being in the position it was in seems to me a direct result of his skating style and the unfortunate fact that he had to turn to try to finish the hit. I still think the suspension is somewhat warranted, as his play has been noticeably reckless, but I also think that this was an unfortunate freak occurrence.

Posted by: snakegriffin | December 1, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

60% of 801 fans think Ovie should have been suspended.

With friends like these who needs enemies.

Posted by: large23220 | December 1, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

LMAO if that was Fehr, you would have been calling for a lifetime ban... idiot

Posted by: joek443 | December 1, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like he will playing next week then?

Posted by: arcassells | December 1, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: guer_j | December 1, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Is Jamie Heward still playing anywhere? I know it was a legal hit, but if dude can take out a former teammate and friend like that and not change the way he plays, I don't think a substantial injury to anyone else will make him change, either.

Posted by: cainoo7x | December 1, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

To those who've asked.

There is no cap savings as a result of this suspension. It is supposed to be a deterrent to both the player and the team. The player in that he sits for the X game(s) suspension and pays $ Y fine. The team in that it's a message to coach and management to get on their players and not allow that kind of "stuff" from going on.

I expected 2-3 games. He got 2. Sounds fair to me.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 1, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

With friends like these who needs enemies.

Posted by: large23220

this has nothing to do with being enemies. knowing the inconsistencies of how the nhl deals with these issues - ovi needs to be aware of his actions on the ice. he will have to assess how/when to make his hits. it is good that he will stick up for his team - but injuries and suspensions will only make other caps more of a target. it is about doing what is right for the entire team

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 1, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

While I am glad that he seems to be not as badly hurt as feared I wondering if this is fair to other teams? What if a player on another team had not been hurt and been suspended for two games? His suspension would apply to him (a healthy player) while Ovechin's applies to an injured player and he can take the time to rest.

Posted by: MKadyman | December 1, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

in case some of you people don't already know Ovie is just a hockey player, NOT a politician. what Don Cherry or anyone else thinks about him is totally IRRELEVANT.

his job is help his team win, nothing more nothing less... this might cost some useless individual awards but who the heck cares...

Posted by: joek443 | December 1, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Interesting how things played out since last night. Remember the so-called "doctors" who NEW it was a serious ACL injury, the fans who were ready to throw in the towel on the season because Ovie was done, and thoughts of a serious suspension? Now, it looks like our boy might be back with us some time next week, and hopefully without backing off. Pedal to the metal, Ovie. Don't back down with your game. It's hockey!

Posted by: gonchpup | December 1, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Nice act last night Ovechkin, obviously wanted to make himself look hurt to offset that stupid run he took.

Yes, he's the best pure goal scoring machine today, maybe ever.

I do believe he needs a good old fashion beating, that the only "adjustment" he needs.

Posted by: LarryDavid | December 1, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

snakegrifin - Good point. Much like a high-stick infraction, most are not deliberate, but the player is still responsible and penalized.

Posted by: gonchpup | December 1, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

This jerk is a DIRTY player,and everyone knows it.I can`t wait for the day his DIRTY play cause a significant injury th HIMSELF.

Posted by: deuceman724 | December 1, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: guer_j | December 1, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cainoo7x |

So let me see if I understand you. Although It was a legal hit on Heward you still think it was not okay for Ovi to check him hard. It's hockey. Checking is part of the game. As well knowing how to take a check. Ovi was pretty upset after that hit and Heward's concussion. No malicious intent that I could see.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 1, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

i don't want ovie to change his style of play. that's what makes him an exciting player, but he must make smart judgement on hitting people. the fans need to see him play for a long time. the caps need him, his teamates need him, he's an important player and he needs to realize that. the fans don't want to see him hurt more than anything else.

Posted by: capsfan2007 | December 1, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Wishing injury upon a player is low even for Pens fans deuceman. Karma has a way of biting you in the butt. Keep it up and Cindy might get damaged exiting Mario's shower.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 1, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Larry David- Curb your Douc(h)ebaggery.

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

There you go, Steve! Someone got it in there.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 1, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I am assigning LarryDavid and deuceman724 to the Doofus Brigade.

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 1, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

It's so interesting to see all these new people on here once this happened.. lol...

Steve_R- That's very funny! But yesterday I saw puckheaded1's comments calling Ovie dirty. Did he forget when Sidney picked a fight with Brett Mclean? Oh yeah he's sooooo classy. Pens fans are so funny. ;)

Posted by: rachel216 | December 1, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

I. think this ended extremely well.
1. Even if ovie doesnt want it..he NEEDS those few days off to make sure he is completely okay.
2. The NHL handled his situation seriously, but was not unfair.
3. Its prob a good thing he's not in philthy with a truly dirty and malicious team.

it was a lesson learned for ovie to just regulate the way he plans- but he doesn't need to "change"..just be smarter about his hits.

let's move on and BEAT THOSE PHILTHY FLYERS.

GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Bondra2Ovie | December 1, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 1, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

No, I wasn't trying to comment on whether I think he should have or shouldn't have hit Heward. Rather, in response to the post by guer_j, I was just pointing out that even after that check on Heward, he didn't change his game for a second. So, you can put me down as one who doesn't think that Ovi would change his game if he really hurt somebody.

Posted by: cainoo7x | December 1, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

MKadyman

Before the lockout, Bertuzzi almost killed a player on the ice. He basically lost a month's playing time. He was suspended for a year which happened to be the lockout year.

Was that fair?

Posted by: Greg S. | December 1, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

@LARRY DAVID-

yes, and right after our 2 time MVP was done putting on "AN ACT" for the NHL.he went home and played dress up. good call.

Posted by: Bondra2Ovie | December 1, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Wow - two games isn't much but still it's two games too many. The man is aggressive and I hope he comes back and plays with the same style - just picking his hitting spots a little more judiciously - haha not an easy thing to do when you're going full tilt on that sheet of ice.

Don't agree with it. I really would like to know how Campbell justifies two games for that hit. Yea yea it was knee on knee blah blah blah but it wasn't deliberate. I'm sorry but it's part of the game when you go to dodge a hit - knowing these things can happen.

Rest up Ovie and hope to see you in Tampa Bay.

TO ALL POSTERS: Stop addressing anyone that comes on the board trying to say dirty this and dirty that. It's ignorance and far too much more important to talk about then addressing IGNORANCE. :)

Ice Breakers Goal Shakers

Posted by: Jonathan6 | December 1, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Barry Melrose is still showing Ovie some love. Telling him to not change.

Posted by: DFuse87 | December 1, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

deuceman724= loser. I've never seen this poster before and only after this has he shown up to bash Ovie. If your not a Caps fan, why do you even CARE?

Is Larrydavid a Caps fan? If he is, he should be ashamed. How could you ever wish an injury upon one of your players? You can think what they did was wrong, but to say he needs a "good old fashion beating" is so wrong..

Posted by: rachel216 | December 1, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin earned the rep, now players can defend without worrying about league politics.

Posted by: LarryDavid | December 1, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

A beating is NOT an injury.
It's like communicating with children

Posted by: LarryDavid | December 1, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

The difference between Caps fans and fans of the Penguins, Flyers, Habs or most any other fans that love their hockey: Caps fans are all in agreement that some form of discipline was in order for Ovie for the Gleason hit. Fans of those other teams are quick to ask for justice when their players are "wronged" but slow to ever accept responsibility when their guys do the dirty! This week we have seen both - a marginal bad call against Buffalo and then a deserved call against the Canes. Its part of the game - but I am proud of Caps Nation.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | December 1, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

LarryDavid

So you communicate with children by beating them? You're getting in deeper and deeper. Best to just let it drop.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 1, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

When it comes down to it, OV needed to be suspended to appease the masses (haters), and possibly to bring him back down to Earth a bit. He bulked up off-season to 230+lbs. for a reason folks. He wants to be #1 at everything, including hitting. Maybe he's getting a little greedy, but what the H do I know? He's the best player in the world in my opinion, but can't just carry on like a mad man. He was on probation for jeebus' sake, he should've been more careful. But, it's over. Trolls rejoice: not only did he get a suspension, it was for more than one game. Philthy trolls rejoice more than Pens trolls: He's out against your goons. And all is right with the world. Can we move on now?

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

No, communicating to that particular poster is like communicating with a child, that person has no clue.

Not beating a child, unless you're talking about Ovechkin.

Funny how quick a person can read something to their convenience.

The NHL has lost its way when they interfered with players policing players.

Posted by: LarryDavid | December 1, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

The Canadians do not like to be shoved around by Russians, particularly Russian forwards. Even Crosby whined about it. Does he whine about fellow Canadians? Usually forechecking is applauded .. even encouraged.

Alex is a force in the offensive zone and not just with his scoring. Anything the Canadian mafia can do to slow him down .. they'll try it.

Now, does that excuse yesterday's hit? Uh, no. But that's been cared for. If I'm Alex I'd just keep doing what I'm doing and let the chips and suspensions fall where they may.

Posted by: tslats | December 1, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

yesisaiditfirst

Right on! I don't go onto other fan sites and bash their players! OV made a reckless move...but never had the inention to injur. OV haters need to come up with better arguments before they talk. Go back to your own sites and stop whining like little babies!

Posted by: capscoach | December 1, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin, the Martyr.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Reckless is the new Stupid

Posted by: LarryDavid | December 1, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

It is funny to watch Ovechkin being interviewed by a group of beat writers. Tarik tried to ask the tough question, but really fails in the end. They all know it doesnt make sense to upset him and lose access to DC's best sports figure.

Posted by: daddy_axe | December 1, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

@cainoo--sorry to have misunderstood you. I agree with you that he won't suddenly change his style of play. But he a smart man both physically and intellectually. He is fully capable of adjusting his style--what I have called playing on the edge. He needs to play that edge more wisely. Control the edge and not let it control him. I still do think he's hurt more than he is letting on. He always has that game face whether on the ice or off. But I am feeling pretty confident that it's not something season ending.

BTW Larrydavid--aren't you bored yet? Why are you still here? You do realize that most of the Caps posters have stoppedn reading your worthless diatribes. Do be a good fan and return to your Pitttsburgh lair. Jealously is really an unbecoming trait.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 1, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

@Joke443

"LMAO if that was Fehr, you would have been calling for a lifetime ban... idiot"

If you'll notice, I only pile on the criticism when Fehr is having a particularly good night. It's sarcasm. Of the most obvious sort. Which only denseness of the most oblivious sort could miss. I am a big Fehr fan and enjoy rubbing comments about his unproductiveness in haters' faces. You might note that I also frequently re-nominate Green for the Norris after particularly infuriating defensive performances.

"...idiot"

And you provided the zinger yourself, maroon.

Posted by: large23220 | December 1, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Caps suck, Ovi needs to be traded. Time to rebuild.

Trade GMGM for Gainey.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

@YESISAIDITFIRST.

you said it!!! couldn't agree with you more. difference between caps fans and pens/philthy fans...we have class. Definitely proud of the CAPS family.

and kind of laughing at all the ovie haters on here..

Posted by: Bondra2Ovie | December 1, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil--LOL. Are you giving Ovi a run for best dry quips (not that I think he's feeling much like joking around at the moment).

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 1, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow!Greg S. & Jonathan6: Where have you guys been all these time? Welcome back!

Posted by: caraveli | December 1, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a Pens fan but calling a recent Cup winning fan jealous is classic.

Ted & GM have done a great job building this entertaining regular season team.

Contenders ? Not so much.....

Posted by: LarryDavid | December 1, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LarryDavid | December 1, 2009 5:57 PM |

@LarryDavid:

You can't be serious. Crosby still routinely camps out next to the opponent's goal crease: unchecked, unmolested and allowed to bang in one garbage goal after another. This, even after all of his well-documented (yet unpunished) offenses, which by any objective standard qualify as deliberate cheap shots.

Why?

It isn't because no NHL blueliner is sufficiently competent to stop him: several are. No, sir: if you aren't aware that it's because of LEAGUE POLITICS, you are indeed delusional!

Everyone in the League (unfortunately) knows that even breathing on Crysby draws a penalty, and that an actual check (gasp!) would likely result in, at best, a major-misconduct combo--possibly even a multi-game suspension after the fact--regardless of the identity of the "guilty" party, and regardless of whether an actual injury were incurred.

If Crosby's on-ice conduct were treated according to the same standard as that applied by the NHL to Ovechkin (or the standards OV-Haters WISH were applied to OV), Crosby would be banned for life.

If the reverse were true (Ovechkin judged by the same standard as that applied to Crosby), OV would score 100 goals every season, the Caps would be on the PP at all times, and OV would have to practically end another player's career before he even got so much as a 2:00 minor.

Why? Because 8 > 87. Not a mathematical fact, just a hockey fact.

Don't go away mad...just go away.

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 1, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

@bondra2ovi--it is fun to laugh at the trolls isn't it. Everytime they feel compelled to return with more hate it tells me how much they value and envy the pure talent of Ovi.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 1, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Caps "fans" who want him disclined? Explain this to me. There was absolutely nothing intentional about the knee hit on Gleason. Paul Maurice even said so himself.

An earlier poster used the term "Canadian mafia." True that. Haters can't stand how good he is and take every opportunity to put him down. He's the greatest hockey player in the world, and Russia is going to beat Canada retarded in the Olympics this year.

Why do Caps "fans" think taking a whipping for no good damn reason shows they have character?

Ovie did nothing wrong. Yet "fans" so nobly accept their punishment. That's not "class," y'all. That's something else all together.

Posted by: large23220 | December 1, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Larry- gotta disagree with you there. 1st place in the east not a contender? Lost game 7 to the eventual Cup winner last year and not a contender? Gotta call b.s. on that one.

Jealousy from the reigning champs is a stretch though, I'll give you that one.

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I think the powers-that-be have taken a lot of heat as of late with doling out suspensions to "marked" players while allowing the stars to fire at will with blatant disregard for consequences. OV was warned and was on probation. While I'm displeased that it's our guy, I am not at all surprised that he got nailed.
I just really hope it doesn't end with OV. I think this is the example to other "untouchables". Nobody is above the law. Who better to use as the model than the greatest?

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Look at the Pens & Hawks.

Until Washington makes the conference finals, everything amounts to zero.

Hanging on to losing to eventual cup winners is pathetic.

Posted by: LarryDavid | December 1, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Couple of observation on why GMGM is so damn smart and perfect for the position he holds:

1. Has Ovie walk to the bus unaided and in full view of "reporters" (Joe B and Tarik) who gladly blogged that Ovie walked to the bus with only a slight limp.

2. Ovie takes the ice this morning and skates and stick handles for five minutes.

As a result of 1 & 2, the league has no business delaying the suspension due to injury. I bet Ovie would have sat out Thursday's game at the very least. He gets eight more days to heal (albeit at the cost of $100k) and the league sends the appropriate message to everyone - i.e. that even the biggest stars are held accountable.

Well played George, well played!

Posted by: phknlwyr | December 1, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

LarryDavid:

What do you mean, "I'm not a Pens fan but calling a recent Cup winning fan jealous is classic."

You have no moral standing here to make any serious point whatsover, when you enter another team's blog for the mere purpose of insulting them. Fans from other teams, like Joe443 have joined discussions on this blog respectfully and expressed their opinions and different points of view in rational discussions.

It is beyond me what would motivate an adult to go into blogs just to hurl insults. Unless, of course, you are a teenager which would make more sense.

Posted by: caraveli | December 1, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Nylander getting millions to sit around.

Well played Jorge

Posted by: LarryDavid | December 1, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

What about the Pens and Hawks? Dude, you aren't making any real points here at all... Do you think the Pens were even considered capable of making the playoffs at this juncture of last season? I won't respond to your ramblings any more, I guess you're entitled to your opinion. Even if it is confusing and pointless.

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

LarryDavid probably wasn't such a loudmouth punk between 2001-02 and 2006-7 when that punk team from that punk city was getting scraped off the bottom of the NHL every year.

Posted by: large23220 | December 1, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

@Chadd--I didn't mean SC jealously but rather Crosby vs Ovi jealousy. It makes no sense otherwise for so many Pens fans to crawl out of the woodwork faster than cockroaches with hate filled invective against Ovi. The Caps are focused on the Cup, not whose a better player Ovi or Crosby. Personally I don't care. I'm just glad that we have Ovi. I am only worried about the season and the playoffs and our team growing and improving. And winning the SC.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 1, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I'll take an average regular season team that wins the Cup or makes the conference finals over a stellar regular season team that can barely escape round 1.

Posted by: LarryDavid | December 1, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LarryDavid | December 1, 2009 6:55 PM |

Yeah, I switch my favorite teams too.

Go Hawks and Yankees and Saints!

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know if that money comes off the salary cap for those two games?

Posted by: WVPhil | December 1, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------

it didn't stop Orr from trying to decapitate him. Its not his physicality that keeps thugs at bay. Its the fact he's a star player that reduces his exposure to thugs. Certainly not anything the Caps have instituted as protection :)

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 1, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

LarryDavid is unemployed and contracted black lung from a plant that was closed before he was born. He's got to have something to get excited about.

You go, Larry! Enjoy your team's success! Dreams can come true for all of us, even Yinzers with birth defects like you.

Posted by: large23220 | December 1, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

hahahhaha i'm majorly loving that LARRYDAVID is sitting by his computer and fending off an entire blog worth of caps fans...

Caraveli: totally agree with you!!

Posted by: Bondra2Ovie | December 1, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

So the guy that goes hunting needs protection ?

Hillarious.

Remind me again what sport you watch ?

Posted by: LarryDavid | December 1, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody else want Larry David to get a life and go get into bed with Crysby like we all know he wants to?

Posted by: capscoach | December 1, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I am assigning LarryDavid and deuceman724 to the Doofus Brigade.

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 1, 2009 5:44 PM

Way to go Rhino40!!! Now, let's give them positions: LarryDavid, due to continued absurd posts, will have the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and be CO of the 1st Battalion. He reports to the brigade CO, Colonel Cheef.

deuceman due to being first dopey post is a buck private. His job is to be the driver of LarryDavid's Prius.

Gets your guns and start marching.

Hut, two, three, four.
Hut, two, three, four.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Larry's a Pens fan. Who is your team Larry?

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Me too! You go LarryDavid. This is fun. We've some great bug spray here in DC.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 1, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

LarryDavid- i envy the leisurely life you must lead!! i know joining the brigade must seem daunting but i assure you it doesnt require any extra effort than you are already exerting on here

Posted by: mrszilla | December 1, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Does it matter which team he likes. He's on this board razzing the Caps and the Great 8 and he was the one who invoked the Pens in the first place. I guess the poor kid is really misunderstood! Ha!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 1, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Who's your favorite team LarryDavid? Why do you spend time on here when you clearly don't like the Caps and critize everything they do? Richmondphil is absolutely correct. You must be one of those fans that love the teams that are currently the best in each sport. Once they struggle, you're off with another team. loser.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 1, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad to say that win or lose, I've been with a loyal fan of this team for more than 2 decades. I am very proud of all they've accomplished. Sure, there's room for improvement but I think they're on the right track and the future is bright. The cup is ultimately the goal, but that isn't the reason I watch every game. I support them 100%. The B.S. about not a contender by the standards of a troll really don't matter that much to me. We could miss the playoffs this year and next and I'd still watch every game. Larry, that's called loyalty and mine's with the Capitals. Where's yours?

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Trade Ovi for Sean Avery.

I don't want any dirty players on this team.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Trade Ovi for a real 'Merican, like Crosby.

Oh wait....

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Trade Ovi for Sean Avery.

I don't want any dirty players on this team.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

hahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

thanks for that! i think everyone has to keep the spirit up, its just two games, ovie can get un-"sore"/hurt and everything will be kosher... the team pulled it together without ovie, they can do it again and then ovie will be back and he'll rock. no worries

Posted by: mrszilla | December 1, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Did that effectively kill the banter? Really..that's all it took? Can we discuss hockey now?

Is Semin going to be back? What about ShaMo, our best defender this year? Who wants to argue that ShaMo is not the best defender this year? Something interesting...and relevant..anyone? What's the lines going to look like Thursday?

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

@braunt

Agree with your post. I agree that, due to recent events, Alexander Mikhailovich has essentially lost any chance of getting the benefit of the doubt by refs or league officials. I personally thought both of the recent major penalties were borderline at best. But now he'll be hit hard for any borderline hit and the next suspension will be a long one.

Alexander Mikhailovich, you definitely have to dial down the aggressiveness to some degree. We want you available to play, not be in the press box. You'll do us no good in the press box.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Richmondphill
I think Sasha should be back Thursday. I am concerned about ShaoMo...that concussion seems to be nagging. Lets hope Sasha plays well and doesn't give the puck up 2 much...especially at the point.

Posted by: capscoach | December 1, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to have taken such part in the banter... ShaMo has been good, as has double nickel. Pothier as well. I'm pleasantly surprised. All the OV talk has taken away from another big story last night... Theo. Man, did he ever look good!

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

@richphil

maybe it is bedtime for some of the posters ;^)

Posted by: ebolean1 | December 1, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon

Your lines sound good. Only one problem. Corey of the Wash Times had heard that Semin won't be back Thursday. Even though Semin was apparently participating fully in practice. (I wonder where Corey gets his info from. Bruce seemed to think we'd see Semin on Thursday.)

Should we probably assume no Semin in that case?

So our lines will be:

Flash/Backstrom/Fehr
Laich/BMo/Giroux
Sloan/Perreault/Clark
Beagle/Stecks/Bradley

All I can say is....I hope our goalie and our defense play out of their mind on Thursday since nearly all of our offense is on the top line.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Theo. Man, did he ever look good!

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 7:39 PM |

Who do you think is going to get the nod?
Theo, after his hot start, or Varly, who's been hot already?

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

backstrom and theo definitely the two bright spots from the last game - keep it goin boys!

Posted by: ebolean1 | December 1, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

On Semin: Boudreau and Tarik think he'll be back on Thursday. Corey of Wash Times thinks otherwise. (Wonder where Corey gets his info.)

ShaMo: I doubt if he'll be back Thursday.

Goalie: I assume it will be SAV on Thursday and JT against Philthy. (And they'll alternate next week.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I was fixin to ask the same question of you my friend.

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I'd reward theo for his play and start him in the next game

Posted by: ebolean1 | December 1, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

There's nothing like adversity that brings out the trolls in full force on this board (and other boards.) Are most of our trolls Penguin fans? They sure love to rub it in.

I don't understand the troll mentality.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I find it pretty amazing that the moment we lose Ovechkin, Backstrom seems to be firing on all fours.

His 1 complaint from me is; shoot more!

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe the holier than thou idiots who voted Yes to OV being suspended. I sure none of them have ever picked up a hockey stick. Losers.

Posted by: ejohnsto | December 1, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

And has anyone else noticed Erskine? He's been joining the rush and also made some nice first passes in the past 2-3 games. Don't really see that from him in the past, especially the first passes up ice. Stick to stick, some of them. He still isn't the greatest skater, but his stickwork/passing and offensive awareness seems to be growing on him. Possibly a push from BB and his system.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

@ebolean1

You forgot about one other bright spot in the game. Eric Fehr who is the only winger who has scored as of late AND is available for the next two games.

Flash has come close but no cigar for goals.

Laich hasn't scored lately. And this is the guy who leads our active players in goals scored for the year.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm not surprised that Ovie got suspended, but I disagree with it. Like I explained yesterday the knee on knee collision was completely accidental and resulted purely from Gleason's move to avoid a shoulder check.

Just watched Ovie's explanation and he said exactly the same thing I said yesterday. Anyone who thinks that the hit was intentional is either extremely biased against Ovechkin or has never played hockey themselves.

Posted by: ranndino | December 1, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Woods maybe?

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

@TomInFla

The trolls have certainly earned their way into the Doofus Brigade. The DB needs a general now. All together now. Should Don Cherry be the general?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Sorry lost context there... BB's system influencing Erskine or Woods' influence on the D as a whole was the point

Posted by: Chad8 | December 1, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

agree with all 3 points capsfan backstrm's 3 pts (2 goals) after the drought stayed in my mind

Posted by: ebolean1 | December 1, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Phil: I think Green has been best defenseman, despite one or two very untimely turnovers. I will put Pothier second and then lump Poti, ShaMo and Jurcina tied. Erskine is sixth.

For those who wonder about cap, Caps have room until Knuble returns from LTIR. Replacement players are Perreault, Beagle and Alzner, and Alzner only really counts at $875K until he earns a bonus. Isn't Laing also on LTIR? They could bring up Bouchard if Semin can't go. He's the only real sniper type at Hershey I'm thinking.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

So lets say our 7 "regular dmen" are Juice, Shultz, Shamo, Erskine, Green, Pothier, and Poti. Then lets say that the only one who is untouchable is Green.

Who would you like to see the team send off in a package deal at the deadline?

To me, Green, Shamo, Pothier, and Shultz are players that can regularly contribute and help us advance in the playoffs. Juice, Erskine, and Poti help in their own ways, whether it be experience, size, toughness, etc. I just think they are expendable.

Who do you keep Richmond Phil? I'm always interested to see how others judge our blue line.

Posted by: BACKS | December 1, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

@ CapsFan75

The troll mentality is simple. They're just total losers with nothing better to do than post crap about other teams on their boards at any opportunity. Pathetic human beings really who will never achieve anything themselves due to their incredible stupidity and jealousy.

I, for one, have never been to any Pens board or blog after something bad happened to either Crosby or Malkin because I simply have better things to do.

Pens fans should really STFU because while Ovie might have injured a few players by accident at least he doesn't pull clearly dirty stuff like jumping guys off the faceoff after pulling their jersey over their head or punching someone in the nads when they're being held down by another player, like Crosby.

Posted by: ranndino | December 1, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand the troll mentality.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

a common enemy does bring us all together though...

Posted by: mrszilla | December 1, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

i give kudos to all the dmen in the last game - even if it was against the tropical depression - they are still a team to be reckoned with especially with caps injuries

Posted by: ebolean1 | December 1, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

I personally think both of the recent 5 minute majors were more than a little marginal.

I still think he may have to dial back his aggressiveness for his own protection; i.e. to avoid the major penalties. Find a way to "hit" smarter. I realize that's difficult but....

(Some have argued that if he dialed back, he'd just be another Jeff Carter.) I'd rather him do that if his current style will get him major penalties and game misconducts over half the time. I'd like to think that these two incidents are probably a fluke but the officials are looking at him more closely. They already were. But now he's a marked man. And he'll get 5 minute majors (+ game misconduct) for any offense that's marginal. We can not afford to go with only 11 forwards for 2 games out of 3.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

@ richmondphil

Backstrom was starting to get untracked against Montreal. He was taking shots at goal that were just missing. (Like Fleischmann was against Carolina.)

I'd like to think that Flash is due for a breakthrough soon.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BACKS | December 1, 2009 7:56 PM |

Poti would be #1 to go. His cap hit is the highest (not counting Green), and he's been mediocre. Then I'd nominate Pothier and ShaMo because of their cap hits, though this package would include bringing a d-man back.

The problem is finding a team who needs these guys. I don't really see any teams finding more worth for Pothier than us, and ShaMo isn't enough to bring back a better d-man. GMGM is going to have to go against his usual idea of keeping prospects/picks if we see a trade happen.

As for my #1 pick to bring in, it would be Anton Volchenkov.

I'm not to concerned about a trade right now though, that will come closer to the deadline.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 1, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the suspension, but this situation should have been avoided in the first place. The hit was totally an accident, imo and the penalty should not have been called. It was as much Gleason's fault as Ovie's. I think the NHL needs to relook the variables on these penalty's because some of them have been a little sketchy

Posted by: bleedred | December 1, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino

While I am certainly upset with Ovi for his recent behavior (and even put away most of my Ovi stuff at the office), I have noticed one thing. The guys's he taken down have been the D-bags.

Briere
Kaleta
Gleeson (who was giving Semin grief last year in the last game and who made a hit on Backstrom just before Ovi's hit)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

"Best wishes to OV for a speedy recovery, and GO CAPS!

Even some of his fellow Canadians agree...

Enjoy...

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 1, 2009 5:10 PM | "

Very good links, Rhino40! I needed a good laugh. Those Don Cherry suits are absolutely horrifying.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | December 1, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Glad you computed the Cap hit. I wonder if Laing and Boyd Gordon are on LTIR. (In my opinion, BG should go on LTIR).

Wonder if we'll see Semin Thursday (or does Corey really more up on things). Or should he go on LTIR to give up Cap relief? If he can't go Thursday, it's his 8th missed game.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Bouchard is Perreault's best buddy at Hershey, in any case.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

LarryDavid certainly sounds like a Pens fan. Especially when boasting about a mediocre regular season team who's good in the playoffs. That sure sounds like last year's Pens. (Or even the Ducks.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I realize that the deadline is months away, but I think that the way the season has progressed that GMGM will attempt to bring in a blue liner, or even more offense depending on the injuries. I think the one thing we have a bulk of is defenders, most of them are just serviceable compared to players I trust come the playoffs.
The caps player that probably will warrant the most attention is Jurcina, he's big and still has potential.
I also think Poti is the number one option to leave. All he brings to the table is veteran leadership and experience, two things I would hope we would get back anyway.
Your right, we will have to move picks or prospects. I could see Neuvirth or a 1st round pick leaving depending on what we could get back.
I apologize if this talk is a couple of month premature, but I find myself think about the playoffs more than anything else.

Posted by: BACKS | December 1, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe the people who are so quick to turn their back on OV. The guy bleeds for our city and is our only sports superstar in probably 20 years. He makes one small mistake and his "supporters" hang him out to dry. You people should be ashamed. You people are the reason DC will never be a sports town, let alone a hockey town. Hockey is a tough sport and requires tough fans, not you turncoats. I hope OV is traded to a real hockey town where people won't crucify him for making an infrequent and uncharacteristic mistake (if you're one of the people who even think it was his fault). This just proves the allegiance of most "Caps fans" -- loyal to none.

Posted by: ejohnsto | December 1, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm calming down -- a little.

Still, I was ready to move Ovi down -- to the 4th line. If he's going to play like an enforcer, he should get enforcer minutes. (And it would be less disruptive to the other lines when Ovi earns the inevitable 5 minute major and game misconduct.)

On second thought. Maybe we need a real enforcer on our team. Now I'm not a real fan of having an enforcer with no real skill, except the ability to make hits and drop the gloves. But maybe we need an enforcer. Ovi seems to have taken on that role this year, a role he really shouldn't have.

Maybe it's time to call up Brandon Sugden. (We could call up Sugden for the Columbus game and make Ovi a healthy scratch that day.) Sugar can deliver some well timed hits to the CBJ guys. Me don't want Columbus to knock Ovi out for the playoffs which I wouldn't put it past them to do.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping that we can keep Alzner up. He's been solid.

I've been reading a couple of different boards. The trolls have really been swarming. But the Caps fan base has really swatted them down. Good to see unity.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 1, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

ejohnsto- But most of the people here who are bashing/hating on Ovie aren't even Caps fans, so it beats me why they're even here...

Posted by: rachel216 | December 1, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75: A brigade doesn't get a general, but a colonel. Don Cherry does belong there, so let's nominate him as:

DOOFUS EMERITUS

And his "uniform" shall be the uniform of the brigade.

So, to join the brigade, not only must you march and go on maneuvers, but you must wear Cherry's cheesy clothes.

Lt. Colonel LarryDavid: How do you look in that plaid sports coat?

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

@ejohnsto

Ovi's not the only guy Caps fans have turned their backs on for mistakes as of late. Yes, it was a pretty bad mistake. And I hope he adjusts his play as a result.

Other guys who've been bashed on big time are: Mike Green. There was one game where Green was the third star. But he was bashed for his mistakes for that particular game.

And then there's Alexander Semin. The bashing on him began after the Detroit game (when he had had a good season up to then) and then really reached a head after the first game in NJ. It almost seemed that nearly everyone in Caps land had turned his back on him, even some of his most ardent supporters. Many of the bloggers and writers and most of the fans were calling for him to get traded before the deadline.

Yes, I still haven't totally calmed down at Ovi yet. I think both hits were marginal calls but now he's a marked man and it's a shame.

Get well, Sashka.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

ejohnsto:
maybe you should start rooting for the team you think ovi will end up on

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 1, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

This is total BS.Matt Cooke hit Shean Donovan 2 weeks ago in an idential situation where the player(Donovan) moved at the last second,causing a knee-on-knee hit...no penalty.no suspension,and Donovan is finished for the season.This is clearly a message from the Don Cherry "Canadians are better than Europeans/Russians" school of thought.The refs have been clearly told to watch Ovie,while ignoring the chippy crap that goes on,leading to these kind of situations.Aaron Ward SPEARED Ovie just before(no call on the Canadian of course,after all,it was only a Russian he speared),making Ovie look to take someone out.Maybe Gleason should have taken the hit

Posted by: roccky | December 1, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Chill capsfan75--it will be alright. I absolutely believe that a playeru of Ovi's skill can adjust his game sufficiently. I don't mean change just adjust. And as with every crisis a different player will be scrutinized next week. He just needs to focus on a different aspect of his game. Maybe net crashing. He started to before his first injury. And the Caps have to stay sharp and strong without him. I'm also ready for Knubes to return.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 1, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

I hope we can keep Alzner also. ShaMo is nowhere near ready to go. He's taking a couple of days off from practice and will try again later. Sounds like a nasty concussion.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

@Chad8

Is LarryDavid a rooter of the team who's the Caps main rival, just for spite. Just like the people who root for the Dallas Cowboys around here, just for spite.

For the frontrunning folks who are now Saints' fans. I remember when they were so bad, they were known as the New Orleans 'Aints and people would wear bags on their heads to the home games there.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

@ejohnsto

Which team would you like Alexander Mikhailovich to join? Due to Cap space, the following teams can be eliminated: Bruins, Blackhawks, Penguins, Red Wings, Rangers. Toronto's traded their draft picks for Kessel.

So who will your new team be since you claim the Caps don't deserve him?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I applaud Ovi's actions. So he got a suspension - big deal. I am more worried about his knee. I like that he crosses the line every once in a while. Cup winners generally have a superstar that is willing to take another player out - Stevens, Messier, Chelios, Pronger, Richard, even Howe wasn't a saint. I love players that have that glint in their eye.

Posted by: sailchef1 | December 1, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75: Let me be crystal clear on this:

When throngs called for Green's move to forward, I held firm and dispatched them to G Company, Doofus Brigade;

When multitudes said Semin should be traded, I stood rock solid and sent them to S Company;

When thousands of posters demanded Varly be sent back to Hershey, I held my ground like a Sherman tank and sent every single one of them to Victor Company;

And when Don Cherry again heaped criticism upon criticism upon Ovi, I made fun of his clothes and made him Doofus Emeritus.

The Russian Machine will be back on Monday and will be stronger than ever!

I just wish I could go that day, but I have meetings until late...needless to say I'll watch in HD on the local Sunshine Channel where I'll be forced to listen as Bobby "The Chief" Taylor whines and whines...almost as much as Denis Potvin...a dirty dog himself if ever there was one.

And I will not withdrawl until the battle has been won.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

He'll need to adjust his game soon. Maybe try the net crashing thing. Take lessons from Knuble in that department (but don't get the finger broken.)

I admit I'll be nervous for a while when he gets back. I also admit I feel like the parent who's kid got injured in a car accident that's their fault only a few days after getting a speeding ticket.

That being said, I think both penalties (vs Buffalo and last night's) could have been called minor and I doubt if anyone would have really argued.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

@ tominfl1

I have no doubt as to your steadfastness as a Caps fan. And your ability to dispatch all the haters to the Doofus brigade.

Too bad you can't go to the game.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

@sailchef1

It's one thing to cross the line. It's another thing to always get caught. I don't want the "edge" in his game to come at the expense of his long term health or the expense of the team, in general.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216

Yes, many trolls (and fans of other teams) came on our boards last night, both here and at Japers.

Yes, I wonder why all the trolls (and fans of other teams) even bother to come here. I certainly wasn't trolling the Pens boards when Malkin was hurt.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Agree with you there--that both could have been called minors but once he had two majors he was in the refs crosshairs. He came close to hurting himself seriously this time though and that more than anything else will help him adjust his game. Maybe Mama Ovechkin should come over--she can get through if BB and GMGM can't. Seriously though he is too skilled not to be able to adjust his game. Players of his caliber are always maturing and enlarging their game. Keep the passion but control it. He's not even in his prime yet--scary thought isn't it.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 1, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

By the way, Denis Potvin, whom I'm sure is idolized by Don Cherry, never got even a minor I think for breaking Gus's leg.

And Ovie gets 5 + 10 + 2 games for making Gleason miss half a shift.

Half a shift!

Millenia from now, when the human race has made such great advancements that we no longer have commercials on TV, and when historians list the most egregious injustices in our long and often sordid history, Colin Campbell will be villified for the two-game suspension of Ovechkin.

If Campbell starts growing a beard tomorrow, we all know why - it's because he is no longer capable of looking at himself in the mirror.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the Ovechkin suspension however I do not agree with the NHL doing nothing about Ballard. I know it was on his own guy but the NHL has got to send a message to guys that swinging your stick is not allowed. Imagine if it had hurt someone else or if the broken half had flown and hit someone? How do you not suspend that guy at all for something that was incredibly stupid and after the play like that?

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 1, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Two more points, then perhaps I will be done (but, I doubt it, I never stop, you can ask mrstominfl1, she has endured for 31 years and has a direct pass already - in advance - from St. Peter to fly past the Pearly Gates):

1) I believe Ovechkin will learn a lesson because his own father's soccer career was cut short, if I recall, due to KNEE INJURY.

2) I hope all of you Thursday night, who attend, will engage, in as boisterious as possible, a "Campbell $uck$" chant.

Because, let's face it, if he doesn't, who does?

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

I hope Ovi learns his lesson and realizes the knee injury is what ended his dad's soccer career. Think twice, Ovi. Please.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

Well I hope Mama Ovechkin can get through to Alexander Mikhailovich better than anyone.

By the way, they posted an article on Japers' where Mama Ovechkin is convinced the Gleason needs to get himself some glasses when he is on the ice. And, of course, is not happy that her boy is injured and penalized and the fellows he hit were not injured and not penalized.

He was in the ref's cross hairs after the first major (as dubious as it seemed) when the 2nd major occured. I'd bet that if that first call hadn't been called a major, the Carolina hit wouldn't have been called a major.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I am beginning to believe that our seemingly endless search for the meanest, nastiest, crease-clearing defenseman has finally come to an end.

Tatiana Ovechkina.

She can have 8 and her son can switch to 88 just like when Ray Bourque gave up the 7 to Phil Esposito.

My favorite bumper sticker of all time:

"Jesus saves, but Espo scores on the rebound."

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 1, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I just read the piece at Japers where Mama Ovechkin says that Gleason need glasses and to keep his head up. Very funny, direct, and quotable. And as one of the posters said Ovi must have gotten his pugnacity from her. She is a Mama Bear alright--fierce and proud and protective.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 1, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I agree--she could clear a crease out in a hurry!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 1, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

players who play recklessly and on the edge like Ovie in any sport do NOT have a long career, like it or not that's a FACT.

Fred Lynn could have been the greatest center fielder who's ever played baseball - still the only player to win the MVP and rookie of the year in the same year (1975) - if he wouldn't have kept crashing into the walls trying to make a great catch.

no doubt Ovie is a great hittet but he's a terrible defensive player. I'll take sound positional defense over a great hit any day. Everyone talks about how great a hitter Scott Stevens was when he was with the Caps and he was. But he wasn't as good as Langway on defense. Stevens became a much better defenseman when he learned NOT to look for those hits - play sound defense first and take the hits when they come.

Posted by: joek443 | December 1, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

so Joe what's your point? That Ovi needs to play that edge with a little bit more maturity etc etc. I think that's what a lot of posters have already expressed. He can't and shouldn't change the fundamental aspects of his game but he can adjust his game, choose the hits better, play the puck and not just go after the player, let go of a big check when he realizes the player is avoiding the hot. That's where the problems have arisen--he is bigger and stronger and other players now are trying to avoid the hit leading to hard to control situations. Personally I have no doubt that he can do all of these things. The potential severity of this injury is much more of a wAke up call than the suspensions.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 1, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Ovi has been on the refs radar ever since he dared challenge Crosby as the face of the league. He is not the typical Russian that they can label as lazy, soft, or stupid. Basically, he is not Alexander Semin. With the Olympic year coming up, the Canadian media has done everything they can to trash Ovi. The new knock on Ovi is that he won't fight so he's a coward. So unfortunately for Ovi, this treatment will continue at least until the Olympics or beyond if Russia wins the gold.

Ovi was sticking up for a teammate. If that warrants a suspension, so be it. Maybe he needs to learn how to make those hits without getting injured, but I have no problem with what he did. I hope the other Caps learn from this. If the greatest player in the world risks everything to protect/defend a teammate they could at least risk getting a penalty. When Tyler Sloan is getting dragged across the ice like a rag doll, getting a power play shouldn't be the first thing to come to mind.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 1, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Ovie got hurt because he was LOOKING to hit Gleason, NOT because Gleason happened to be in his way.

take the hits when they come to you, don't look for them - that's my point.

Posted by: joek443 | December 1, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

A long career doesn't always equal a productive one. There are a lot of guys who stayed too long and were a shell of their former selves. Maybe Ovi won't have a long career, but he has made a huge impact on the sport.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 1, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who criticzes Ovechkin for not fighting is an idiot and cannot be taken seriously.

Ovechkin loves to win and knows a fight with any other player in the NHL would be a negative for the Caps. Any 5 minute tradeoff where the Caps lose the best player in the NHL for 5 minutes while the other team loses whoever for 5 minutes would be such a positive for any opposing team they would try to do it every game.

Ovie is doing what's best for the team by not getting into any fights and leaving those to Erskine or Bradley or whoever.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 1, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

@ ablake70

when I say a long career, I'm not talking about 18 to over 20 years. I'm talking 12 to 15 productive years.

I'd be surprised if the Caps got 10 good years outta him.

Posted by: joek443 | December 1, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Kneeing:

NHL rule71

Kneeing is the act of a player leading with his knee and in some cases extending his leg outwards to make contact with his opponent.

from nhl.com

While it is unfortunate that both players hit knee to knee, the rule clearly states that in order for it to be a penalty, they must lead with the knee and/or extend their leg outward. If you look at the call on Laraques and the one on Ovi you will see a clear differenct. Laraques stuck his knee out in a direction opposite of that which his momentum was taking him in order to hit the other player. Ovi was leading with his shoulder and Gleason happened to make a good inside move to avoid the brunt of the hit, unfortunately causing their knees to hit. It was clearly unintentional.
Combined with the BS boarding penalty he got against buffalo (and dont get me started about how Gleason later left his feet to hit Flash in the head only for Flash to get a high sticking penalty), and Ovi is now a marked man both by other teams and officials. Now anytime Ovi hits anyone they know all they have to do is stay on the ice and the officials will asume that Ovi did something wrong.

Posted by: johnqpublic1 | December 1, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

ablake70:
i hope it's at least long enough to get through 2021.

take the hits when they come to you, don't look for them - that's my point.
Posted by: joek443

ovi does tend to 'hunt' for a hit when trying to stick up for a teammate. but it does not always need to be the next time that player touches the puck. he plays with so much emotion and instinct - i'm not sure he'll be able to fine tune his game anytime soon

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 1, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70
Your statement about Semin is not accepted. It's too bad you have to denigrate another player with tremendous talent to make a point.
So, he's lazy? Why? Because he does not always skate as fast as YOU think he should at times? Then we would have to label numerous other Caps as lazy, too, when I do not think they skate as fast as they should (but, then I am not down there on the ice -- are you?).
So, he's soft? Why? Because he gets injured? We will have to label numerous Caps as soft, then.
So, he's stupid? Why? Because he takes "stupid" penalties sometimes? Again, we would have to label numerous Caps as stupid, then.
Clearly, someone you cannot know or you cannot fathom or you cannot understand is a target for ridicule.
Do you feel better for it?

Posted by: Steakum | December 1, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

@ejohnsto

Hi, I played from 1980-1999. Of course not NHL level, but through college and some semi-pro overseas. I voted he should have been suspended. I this like AA?

Anyway. You can be a fan and still agree when a player on your team is punished. Hockey players aren't saints. Really you can be a fan and think whatever you like. It makes no difference really. It is never cool to question another persons fan cred.

Posted by: goalpost | December 1, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bleedred | December 1, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

The hit warranted a two game suspension, but not a penalty? You've lost me there.

Posted by: rbpalmer | December 1, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

@joek

Who knows, maybe Ovi will get lucky and last longer than we think. You can never tell. But expecting Ovi to change his game tomorrow is unrealistic.

@Steakum

Sorry I didn't make it clear. I think Semin is a great player who is unappreciated because he is an introverted Russian. I hardly think the man is soft, lazy, or stupid, but those are the labels used to vilify the Russian players. Ovi's a hard hitting and personable player that Canadians are starting to love. The anti Euro/Russian crowd can't use the tradition knocks on Russians on Ovi so they have to label him a dirty player so that good Canadian children will hate him.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 1, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if its ever been discusses here really, but I took notice recently to the great players over the last 20 years, and every single "great" player has been to the finals or won the cup. While this seems obvious, not every great basketball player or football player has been to the superbowl. Whether its early in their career or later all the players that have ever been considered one of the leagues best have all at least made a serious attempt at lifting Lord Stanley. This includes players who fell apart for periods of their career, like Lindros.

This is a phenomenon that can't really be seen in all other sports, but is pretty consistent in the NHL.

Sorry im blabbering on, just found it interesting.
Makes me feel very good to have OV in a Capitals uniform.

Posted by: BACKS | December 1, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

Yes, you should have made things a little more clear on Semin. I thought that particular post sounded odd (on Semin being soft; etc.) since you're usually more of a Semin supporter than detractor. Yes, you were being sarcastic about the Canadian's

Frankly, since Semin's an introvert, I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually "suffered in silence" on occasion from injuries we've never heard of. When the wrist thing started, there were reports that the wrist wasn't his only problem, from a physical standpoint.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

@BACKS

I hope that the tradition of great hockey players being on Stanley Cup teams continues with Ovi and a Stanley Cup win happens for the Caps.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70
Ah, I see. I appreciate your clarification. Others on here at times believe those things. Hockey players are like other people -- multi-dimensional -- and the idea that they all have to be the same type of player/person or they are no good is ludicrous.

Just out of curiosity, was Feds labeled a dirty player or one with traditional "Russian" characteristics? I was not a hockey fan most of his career (dragged by my kids).

Thanks again.

Posted by: Steakum | December 1, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

We're already on Year 5 of Ovi's career. If you're right, we're possibly nearly the midpoint of his productive years.

I hope you're not right.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

@Steakum

There have certainly been too many Semin bashers, posting here and on other blogs, including some blog writers. Frankly, I believe Semin was savaged worse after the NJ game where he took 3 minor penalties than Ovi was last night. (But granted, Ovi was pretty savaged. And I'll admit I was more mad at Ovi last night than I've EVER been at Semin or any other Cap for that matter.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

They have an article about Zach Miskovic of Hershey on John Walton's blog. Miskovic is the guy I call "Little Mouse" as Miskovic sounds like it's a variant of the Russian word for mouse which is Miskin. Miskovic turns out to have been a math major (that was my major, also).

You go, Mouse. Or should we say "yugo" as his ancestors probably came from the area of the world formerly known as Yugoslavia. (Miskovic sounds like a Serbian or Croatian name.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 1, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

great racecar drivers usually have a tendency to wreck a lot of cars early in their careers. they always wanna push the limit and find out how far they can stay on the gas before they have to lift at a corner.

hopefully Ovie has learned his lesson - not necessarily change his style of play fundamentally but learn to pick his spots.

Also sometimes you can be more effective if you change your pace once in a while. what made Mario Lemieux such a threat offensively besides his obvious physical talent was that he didn't always go full speed - he would always pick his spot to all out and catch the defenders off guard.

you can be a great pitcher if you can throw a 95 mph fastball and know where it's going most of the time. you can be an all-time great pitcher of you have that fastball plus a great off-speed pitch to go along with it.

Posted by: joek443 | December 1, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else here think that maybe Ovi WILL tone it down (as joek said, he shouldn't go looking for the hit but let the hit come to him) and it might help his game in the long run.

Posted by: dfe1 | December 1, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Totally disagree with the outcome.I just hope ovie doesnt think he should change his syle of play because of this.if he becomes more valnurable other players will notice and he'll become an easy target for players to take advantage of and try to get him off his game.though i dont think he will or should change his game and i just hope he takes the time off to heal better and come back with more of a vengence.GO OVIE,GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | December 2, 2009 3:33 AM | Report abuse

Before November, I recall how everyone complained about Ovi and Semin being on the same line.

The hockey gods have now decreed that, henceforth, Ovi and Semin will NEVER be on the same line again.

Okay, that's a little extreme. But for the entire month of November and so far continuing in to December, we have not had a single solitary game where both Ovi and Semin were available. And, if the latest news is correct, Thursday will be a game where we have neither Alex in the lineup.

May our goalie (and defense) play out of their minds and have a wonderful game.

Can Eric Fehr change his first name to Alexander?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 2, 2009 6:55 AM | Report abuse

The best thing I like about this is the way Mrs. Ovechkin has stepped up. Even BB kinda blames Alex a little, with the "reckless" comment, but Mrs. O pulls no punches. First she tells Bettman to "go and read some books" with regards to his lack of knowledge of Olympic history. Now she tells Gleason he basically needs to keep his head up at all times, not just the last second. And she tells Campbell exactly what I said - if the other guy ain't hurt, why suspend?

I believe the next commissioner of the NHL should be none other than Tatiana Ovechkina. At least then we know we don't have an empty suit in change of our game.

Mrs. Ovechkin: You are the woman.

Signed,
tominfl1
Creator, the Doofus Brigade

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 2, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Do you have a link to Tatiana's quotes? I would like to read those statements!

Posted by: PhilR | December 2, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

@PhilR-go to Japers, link in CI. The interview and links are there.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 2, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

If I were to ask everyone in here where Jeff Schultz ranks among the hierarchy of best defensive defensemen, where would you put him?

Not 8th in the league!!!!

I am certain that if some people were given the keys to the franchise that it would crumble within days, minutes even.

Posted by: JSchon | December 2, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

large23220: "Caps "fans" who want him disclined? Explain this to me..."

Okey dokey, I'd be more than happy to. Assuming the NHL rule is similar to the USA hockey rule, any player who uses his knee in such a manner as to in any way foul an opponent shall be assesed a minor or major penalty. I'm paraphrasing, but that's essentially it. Notice that the rule doesn't say anything about intent etc. I only know USA hockey rules because that's what I ref. and play in. But, they are very similar in most cases.

You get brownie points for being a loyal fan, they get brownie points for sportmanship and fair play.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | December 2, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | December 1, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I suspect that the suspension was a result not just of this latest hit, but of what has now become a series of fouls and borderline fouls that have carried a substantial risk of injury both to AO and to the players that he has hit. I do not believe for one second that Ovie intended the knee-to-knee contact to happen, or intended to injure any of the players he has hit. However, as I understand it, intent to injure is not a pre-requisite for a major penalty or a suspension, just an act that is outside of the rules and carries a high risk of injury. Some of Ovie's actions have fallen in that category.

Posted by: rbpalmer | December 2, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Great link. So Schultz is improving just like BB said he was. Juice was no. 25.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 2, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the 2 game suspension. Perhaps it will send a message to Ovechkin that at times he needs to let things go. When a player sees the hit coming and gets out the way he needs to learn to not go out of his way to continue to make the hit. I know it's hard and things happen at lightning speed. So, I'm not asking for him to change his style, just a very slight tweak, when to let it go.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | December 2, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

So GMGM had an idea of what he was doing when he drafted Schultz ahead of Green that year.

Posted by: rh71 | December 2, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Since so many people seem to be having problems with this here is the official NHL rule (BTW I prefer the USA hockey wording):

50.1 Kneeing - Kneeing is the act of a player or goalkeeper leading with his knee and in some cases extending his leg outwards to make contact with his opponent.

50.2 Minor Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a minor penalty, based on the severity of the infraction, to a player or goalkeeper guilty of kneeing an opponent.

50.3 Major Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the severity of the infraction, to a player or goalkeeper guilty of kneeing an opponent (see 50.5).

50.4 Match Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player or goalkeeper attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by kneeing.

50.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a player or goalkeeper has been assessed a major penalty for kneeing he shall also be assessed a Game Misconduct.

Again note that it doesn't say anything about intent. Ovechkin did extend his leg and he did make contact with an opponent. Whether that act was done as an attempt to legally body check an opponent is immaterial. It was a violent enough collision that the referee deemed that a major penalty was appropriate. The game misconduct is automatic when a major penalty is assesed.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | December 2, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Actually, Juice was at #15. Imagine if the pk was better. Shultz may be a Top 3 defensemen.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 2, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

i honestly can't believe people are saying OV should not have been suspended. he needs to do a little thinking about what it means to be a "team mate." also, nothing personal, but his Mom is out in left field.

Posted by: doughless | December 2, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

If OV LOVES TO WIN THE STANLEY CUP then he has to stay healthy and avoid those kind of hit.

Posted by: newfanofcaps | December 2, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

To piggy back on roccky's complaint about Cooke. Not only did he not receive a penalty for suspension for ending Donovan's season (possibly career they are saying too), followed up by a knee on knee to Erik Cole the very next night, and nothing. The ONLY reason I am OK with Ovi getting a suspension is maybe non-Ovi fans will get pacified and he can just move on. I don't think he will change his game, nor should he. He is an exciting hockey player. Joe B said that it looked like the Beatles (famous rock n roll band for you really young people) were staying in Ovi's hotel in Montreal. Joe B even said people were chanting his name on the street. I don't agree with it, but maybe, just maybe, the NHL has chosen to take this opportunity to send a message to the rest of the league by suspending one of the biggest names in the league. There have been a lot of superstars knocked out of line-ups by questionable hits this season. For the record, I believe Ovi's calls were subjective ones that could have gone either way. I DO NOT think Ovi is a dirty player. Just a player with dirty and sick skills

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 2, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

@BetterOffWithFedorov - THANK you for posting the entire text of the rule. Maybe that will shut some of these folks up.

As for the rest of you, who are arguing whether or not it actually was kneeing: the referee has only ONE angle to look at this from, and that is from where he is standing on the ice. WE have benefit of several different angles, and I have seen angles that show it as a blatant kneeing, and angles that show it as leading with the shoulder, and the kneeing just happened.

By the strictest definition of the rule that BetterOffWithFedorov quoted, the incident was kneeing. If the referee saw it from one of the angles I got to see it from, I'd call it kneeing too. Intent has nothing to do with it. He did the crime, he does the time.

Also - injury only comes into play in certain circumstances. NHL officials are taught to enforce the act, not the result. If the act itself (Ovechkin appearing to lead with his knee) was violent enough to warrant a major penalty (charging bull, China shop, you decide?), then the major penalty would have been issued regardless of the result. Period.

Injury comes into play in high-sticking penalties (minor = no blood, double minor = blood). It does NOT come into play here. Only the violence of the check comes into play.

Alexander Ovechkin is the league's pet bad boy. And he's living up to that reputation. Does that make him *not* the best hockey player in the world? Nope! And it doesn't make me like him any less. It is what it is.

Personally, I'm relieved he's suspended against the Flyers. The knee injury is everywhere on the Internet, and you KNOW someone would slash him behind the play, or cross-check him when he's down, if they put him on the ice for that game, in an attempt to take him out.

Ovechkin = a bull in a China shop.

The Flyers = dirty rats.

Posted by: irockthered | December 2, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

@irockthered: You're welcome and thank you for noticing and responding. You raised a very good point, the referee saw it at one angle and at speed. We get to look at it at different angles and in super slow motion/frame by frame.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | December 2, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Ovie isn't what I call a great team mate. He is in it for himself. By being dirty and reckless he is just trying to play his own game. He is not a team player. You don't have to be a hockey expert to see this. Look at his assists. Nowhere near the leaders. Does he go into the corners and fight for pucks? His skate is stuck at the other blue line.

Posted by: NotInDC69 | December 2, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse