Ovechkin update and other notes

Alex Ovechkin did not speak to reporters, but he did walk through the dressing room and did not appear to be limping.

"I asked the trainers, and they said he got hit in the foot and it's sore," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "But he's okay."

Some other notes and quotes from this morning's practice:

*Boudreau said he "felt" for rookie goalie Michal Neuvirth, who surrendered 5 goals on the first 19 shots he faced last night. Neuvirth didn't find out he was starting until two hours before face off.

"I'm not making excuses--it's not my style and we didn't play good last night," Boudreau said. "But it must be hard for a young guy to get thrown in a game time and you give up three goals and the crowd is on you and it's only your fourth game and 18th pro game. I felt for him. But his future is so promising. We didn't help him that much, but we'll help him in the future."

*The line of the day belonged to Boudreau. "I don't know what we could use right now," Boudreau said, "but Bobby Orr is retired right now, so we're not getting him."

*Michael Nylander - once again - wouldn't confirm whether or not he has waived his no movement clause. But he's certainly thinking he could be on the move today.

"I'm just going to let it play out," Nylander said. "There's nothing I can do. In my case, I have a little say in what goes on. But I'm like everyone else."

Asked if he expects to be a Capital later this afternoon. "You never know," he said.

Boudreau said he's also talked to Nylander in recent days, in an effort to keep the veteran "apprised" of the situation.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 4, 2009; 12:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin injures foot (updated)
Next: Guerin to Pittsburgh

Comments

For what it's worth, Eklund says Vancouver is interested in Nylander. He also thinks Cole may go to Boston.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | March 4, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

i heard the nylander to chicago rumors are back in full swing

Posted by: _stevo | March 4, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"'apprised' of the situation. " you say...

Posted by: superpaqman | March 4, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, I think GMGM is coaxing Langway out of retirement, and a meteorite is going to hit the city of Boston by 3 PM today. And my opinion is worth about as much as Eklund's.

Posted by: ThisGuy | March 4, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Cole to Boston would be terrible...

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

It's quiet...almost too quiet.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

This season is unraveling faster than you can say "Jim Zorn."

Posted by: Zornado | March 4, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Good report on The Foot. If Ovi is walking without a limp, that's a good sign. As long as he's healthy I care less and less about trades.

Posted by: saintex | March 4, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

@828

yeah that would piss me off if we stay idle.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Tarik with Stretch and Vogel right now:

Correy will be at 1:30

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Zornado:
that's some funny stuff right there

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 4, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

NO don't say that

Posted by: Capsnskins1 | March 4, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Nylander was back practicing with the 3rd line today

Posted by: doncosmic | March 4, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Nokalinen from Boston to Anaheim for Montador.

Jokinen from Phoenix to Calgary for Lombardi and Prust.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | March 4, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Boston aquires Montador... awesome...

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

dang boston got montador from anaheim

Posted by: _stevo | March 4, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Praise the Lord! The Russian Machine is not broken, only dented.

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 4, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Jokinen to Flames

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Montador to Boston.

Posted by: Zornado | March 4, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Boston: Montador
Anaheim: Nokelainen

Posted by: ModestProposal | March 4, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

email question to Vogel and Stretch right now : CapitalsReport@WashCaps.com

and watch answers

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I dont see the Jokinen yet... Flames are looking good too.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

What this team needs right now is a little bit of heart, willingness to sacrifice the body, and 110% effort.

Bring up Quintin Laing!*

*I know realistically we can't, but I miss his effort and know it rubbed off on his teammates.

Posted by: Jordana20 | March 4, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow, today has sucked so far. Vermette for Leclaire is the best NHL GMs can do? Can't *someone* make a major move, if only for entertainment purposes???

Posted by: katzistan | March 4, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Boston with Montador from Anaheim isn't a bad pick up for them

Posted by: Capsnskins1 | March 4, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Tarik with Stretch and Vogel right now:

Correy will be at 1:30

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 12:38 PM

Does anyone else have another link? I keep getting a voice that says "The URL is invalid" every time I try to play this...

Posted by: CPortisRun | March 4, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Calgary got Leopold AND Jokinen. Wow.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

mauree:
i can't think of how GMGM can do much of anything. anybody with trade value is needed here. everybody that is up to be traded won't get anything of value in return. i'm interested to see what magic GMGM can perform

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 4, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

katzistan , Jokinen and Montador are pretty major...

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Jokinen to Calgary

Posted by: ModestProposal | March 4, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Anaheim - acquires F-Pettrei Nokalainen FROM Boston - for D-Steve Montador.

Posted by: caps28fan | March 4, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Calgary is the winner so far

Posted by: Capsnskins1 | March 4, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

argh
ack
ugh
gasp

Posted by: oo7 | March 4, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Capsnskins1, yeah, their next move is to trade MTL for one of their Stanley Cups.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Phx is selling - maybe we get Morris

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about the Caps... but someone is going to get Morris...

Are they going to can Gretzky? I can't imagine that, but he has been there for a while and no results.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Tarik says he covered Jokinen back when he was with Islanders and he was called rollie-pollie

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Calgary gave up a first rounder to get Jokinen? Ouch - they are becoming a threat in the west. Glad we won't see them until the cup if at all.

Posted by: patrone | March 4, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Thats what I'm thinking on the Morris thing. Phx is in a financial rut, so they are def looking to dump people

Posted by: Capsnskins1 | March 4, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Phoenix is going to be the fastest team ever after picking up Lombardi.

Posted by: _jordan | March 4, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't matter what Boston does because we own them regardless. Fraudulent. Just as long as Philly and NJ don't do anything (or anything more) and we get Morris, it's all good.

Posted by: Zornado | March 4, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

from prior post - i haven't read all posts today so sorry if this has been touched on. has anyone else noted a little more individual play lately? i know bb touched on the 2nd goal celebration but that actually turned my stomach. that isn't allowed at peewee much less the nhl. someone in the room needs to address. the loss of clark cannot be underestimated.

Posted by: hockeypope | March 4, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to decide if I skip class for the rest of the afternoon. Not only would I be able to watch TradeCentre, but I'd be able to get some schoolwork done.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Steve Montador is a vet defenseman - maybe they won't be picking up a big defensive gun. That's not bad news for us.

Posted by: patrone | March 4, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I got lucky, I didnt get called back into work after class. So i'm going to get some grub then ill be back

Posted by: Capsnskins1 | March 4, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Calgary gave up a lot, but they are not messing around today.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

looks like phoenix is following the caps strategy of trading for a pick and a prospect.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 4, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

This is exactly why GMGM needs to pick up a goalie today. I'm not a fan of Jose, but regardless, even if he's the guy... the Caps can't go into the playoffs with a back-up with so little experience.

Posted by: sinbin | March 4, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Tarik says Pens are after Guerin

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

The Bruins picked up Montador today adding to their depth and grit. That is one team whose defense is very hard to play against. I say the Bruins have the kind of playoff roster that will be very hard to defeat. Which is good because I don't want the Phylers going anywhere or the Rangers and I don't think the Caps really have it to go far in the playoffs.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 4, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

jmu capsgirl: Go to class -- you don't want to end up like me.

Posted by: uncatim | March 4, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

How many goalies did the Caps use in the playoffs last year?

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else find it funny/ironic that TSN2's commercial features the Caps & Ovi as the only hockey part of it? Or has the irony/funny passed by now?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

All Theo has to do is play 16 games and we got the cup...

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

@_828...uno. And I agree with your intonation.

Posted by: saintex | March 4, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zornado | March 4, 2009 12:47 PM

thats absurd. I don't think the Caps "own" anyone. The B's are a very tough team to play against and going against them in a long series is very different from the kind of meetings we had with them this year. We won on a fluky goal the last time out. I don't think the Caps right now are confident about beating anyone and the Bruins have a very rugged playoff lineup with big forwards and big defensemen who can all skate. And our defense won't be fixed with one pickup like a Derek Morris. Imagine seeing Schultz in there against the Bruins forwards like Lucic and Thornton? He'll get smushed like a grape.

And Ovy has a hard time against Chara.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 4, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

But its just health class! I know where my elbow is and what kind of joint it is!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

TSN is reporting Vesa Toskala is out for the season.

Posted by: patrone | March 4, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Tarik: I do think Nyls needs to be moved. He is in bad terms with BB. I can see trouble brewing, you can read body language.

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

OK -- As long as it is not your major.

Posted by: uncatim | March 4, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

anyone with the name hockeypope shouldn't throw stones -- Feds tripped it was nothing more

Posted by: capsgary | March 4, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

uncatim, noooo, I'm going to wine tasting tonight. The deadline will be over.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1,
The Bruins got a fluky goal to tie it up against the Caps... an eye for an eye. The Caps own the Penguins right now - they own the Lightning... why are you so negative?

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

From looking at the different lineups I think the two most impressive lineups right now are Calgary and Boston. Both teams have a great blend of size, skill and toughness and both teams punish the opposition and wear them down.

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

@_828 stop feeding the troll

Posted by: doncosmic | March 4, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

cstanton,

I agree we do not own anyone and contrary to popular belief nobody owns us, but remember, the one win Boston had against us was also a fluke goal.

I do believe adding one or two players will make a difference. Remember how the Caps, mostly these same players, were able to change their style last year in the playoffs. It just took them a couple of games too late to figure out how to play that way.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | March 4, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I picture hockeypope sitting at his computer wearing a huge Capitals mitre and velvet cape.

Posted by: saintex | March 4, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

lol did someone just say we owned the Bruins? get real man we have some major issues that need to be addressed and i'd be shocked if the bruins fear us in any way. Most teams are probably lickin their chops hoping to face us in the 1st round. Its ok, i don't think we'll even come close to winning a cup this year but i want to see us advance past the damn first round!

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: katzistan | March 4, 2009 12:41 PM

Seriously! Something has to spice up this "I hate my job so much I'm thinking that jumping out the 4th floor window sounds really good right now" day that I'm having right now.

GMGM got Feds for Teddy Ruth. Wonder if he can pull the same miracle with, say, Lidstrom. (that would make my red wings loving brother cry! and I woudl laugh!) Ok, back to reality....

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 4, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Just remember, Eklund is a moron. Take a look at hockeybuzzhogwash.com for a quantification.

Posted by: killercarlson | March 4, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

cstanton,

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | March 4, 2009 1:00 PM

yes it did take us a few game to figure out how to play a certain way and it seems that this year we kinda forgot those lessons again and tried to play a highly finesse game and now we're starting to see the results of it

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 4, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Most teams are probably lickin their chops hoping to face us in the 1st round.

The Caps are scary because they are unpredictable. No one wants to play an unpredicatable team...

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm think Boston have picked up Montador to include him in another deal. Maybe to get Morris.....or Pronger??

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 4, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Why do I feel like we are going to end up with nothing today?

Posted by: ERHDC1 | March 4, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Kuba signed - one less Dman available.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Poor Ovie! It sounds to me like he must be really frustrated by the last two losses. Breaking sticks and not talking to reporters could not just be the result of hurting his foot.

It will be interesting to see when and how the Caps come out of this slump, and telling about their character.

If they don't bring substantial help in the goalie and defense positions, I have to think that they are thinking longterm and not in terms of the Cup for this year. Even if Theo were the #1 we needed, there is no adequate back up. Johnson is out, Varly is still not 100% healthy--let alone the fact that he is injured-prone, and Neuvy is not yet ready for prime time. How do they think they will fill this gap?

Posted by: caraveli | March 4, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

DaveUKCapsFan,
Why would the Ducks trade Montador to trade back for Pronger?

ERHDC1 - don't get your hopes up...

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 12:59 PM

And both teams have one or two things in common - they don't sit around and let other teams dictate anything and they built a defense around rugged blueliners who like the rough stuff and can actually play defense. We have no one our team that resembles Sarich, Regehr, Phaneuf or Chara, Stuart, Ward

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 4, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

caraveli,
How depressing man. - Breaking sticks and not talking to reporters could not just be the result of hurting his foot. - He always breaks things when he get injured.
The Caps don't need a backup - Johnson will be back in 3-5 weeks - time for playoffs. Just the other day, everyone was smoking Neuvy's bone - now, people are saying he is not ready. A long time ago, that is what I said would happen, but it was with Varly - as soon as he gets lit up, people will change their minds.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

828 -- I am sure most teams are feeling that way! I mean, who is Ovechkin? Who is Green? The Caps have no talent and any team can beat us... yeah, I am sure that is exactly what they are saying.

Talent only gets you so far. And i'd rather have a predictable team who gives a predictably hard effort than an unpredictable team who plays hard one game and slacks off the next. You dont win Cups like that, sorry.

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Nobody owns anybody!! In NHL your season means squat. Too many no.1 seeds have fallen first round over the years, the years the Ducks won it all, swept Detroit! DETROIT! from 8 seed. You should know 2 things about NHL playoffs, HOT GOALIE and a STEP UP PLAYER. Remember John Druce?? Anyone that old? That guy scored more goals in post season than he did in the regular season for the CAPS that year, carried us to the conf finals. Olie was the hottest goaltender the year we went to the cup, proof from 4th seed. We are only setting ourselves up for the ultimate disappointment. Thus the negativity.....we who have been bitten before know we will get bit again....and again....

Posted by: bhound69 | March 4, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

828,

The "....or Pronger" was me trying to be funny. Guess I should know better.

I think maybe it would work with Morris though. Boston was one of the 3 teams he asked to be traded to.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 4, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Ducks took Pronger off the table.

There are very few games we 'owned' this year... we've squeaked by in multiple games this year. Caps could lose to anyone on any night, and slip in any series if they take themselves for granted

getting cocky will kill us

Posted by: capsfan7 | March 4, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1,
They build their teams like that because they have to deal with offensive fire power that their rivals have. You try to stop the teams that consistantly beat you. Common sense!

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

DaveUK - Pronger is staying with the Ducks, he's off the market.

It sounds like Hawks can't take Nyls without moving Khabibulin, but doesn't mean they aren't trying.
I think we end up with Morris and a surprise goalie. Guerin (or other veteran forward) would be a bonus.

Posted by: ds_kelly | March 4, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

DaveUKCapsFan - you got me... my mouth was open!

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Nothing like a little slide to ruffle the feathers of all the Chicken Littles.

Yes, I'm a bit concerned. Yes, the team can improve. Yes, they have vulnerabilities that can be exposed in a series. However, this thing we got doesn't require an overhaul.

Ultimately, I don't think we have the pedigree of a champion regardless of what goes down today. But we're a contender and still have room to grow from within.

Some focus and some leadership would be nice. Tweak it up a bit and let's go.

Posted by: Zornado | March 4, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

maven1918 - why do people not realize that these players that we have are young? The will make mistakes and they will be lazy. They will also step up to the big games - like they have been.

Is that hard for people to comprehend - that we have a bunch of young guys on the team... less than 25 years old. They can't even rent a car yet...

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Vogel and Tarik: "Kronwall is Alzner's replacement in Hershey. The guys there were saying they thought he was going down right away..."

Kronwall had good hits yesterday

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth:

The slapper that nailed OV originated from Evason. The players in the drill thought he was going to dump the puck and he shot it instead nailing OV who wasn't expecting it. Probably why he was pissed off.

Also, Nylander was skating between Laich and Fehr...Steckel demoted.

Posted by: meagle | March 4, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

They will be unpredictable until they mature.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

828,
No worries fella, you weren't the only one

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 4, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

bhound69:
you're right about a hot goalie or one hot player. when you look at what the caps have on paper - no one jumps out at you (other than OV or semin) - theo could be that hot goalie - probably not - but he could

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 4, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 4, 2009 1:04 PM

Phoenix, by the look of it, is dumping stock for picks and prospects, not beefing up. Pronger's a duck. Why would Boston trade for him just to trade him back? And besides, Anaheim took Pronger off the block this morning according to TSN.

Posted by: ModestProposal | March 4, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

theo could be that hot goalie - probably not - but he could...

and that is why I am excited. Anything can happen.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Tarik: That pretty much ends the Nyls [rumor] (on Moore trade)

Ok, Tarik is coming back!

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm not normally prone to saying this, but "This is boring. Please let something happen."

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Er... Montador was a duck, not Pronger's a Duck.

Posted by: ModestProposal | March 4, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

We need to beef up our D - period. You can't possibly believe that we can win a cup with our current blueliners, not now, not ever. The reason to trade now is the opportunity given by the deadline.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like someone might have waived his NMC...

Posted by: ModestProposal | March 4, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS:

Caps just traded everyone, including Slapshot and the Red Rockers to NYI for all their draft picks for the next 27 years.

Posted by: ds_kelly | March 4, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I'd be drooling if I saw us in the first round...crappy defense and crappy goalie... we will give you 10 pp a game...young team...that sounds like an easy first round to me.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

lylewimbledon - yeah, the team has barely changed from last year. The 'mighty' flyers had an easy time with us last year.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

GMGM is smart....He is not going to mortgage the future for the now. We all know that Theodore has done better then expected, but not that Backstrom (the goalie) is off the market, getting a goalie to take this team to the next level is not in the cards. Not saying that don't have a chance, but no matter what deal is made, there is no one on the market that can make this team that much better.

Posted by: sazzwho | March 4, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Recchi to BOS.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

ModestProposal
I had the same thought. But I am getting bored and frustrated fast. GMGM Pull the trigger already or just tell us there will be no trade. That way I might be productive at work today!!!!

Posted by: ERHDC1 | March 4, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Recchi traded to Boston. Crap.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | March 4, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

during this lull in the trade action, i'd like to ask the following question. does anyone find it funny in this day and age w/ a league so focused on new technology, that they use a fax machine to notify the league office of trades? you would think secure emails or teleconferences or something. what if they run out of toner?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 4, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Bruins get recchi

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Recchi to Boston...NOT GOOD.

Posted by: patrone | March 4, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Recchi to boston

Posted by: rarcr | March 4, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Boston got Recchi

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Boston grabbed Recchi...

I'm getting worried.

Posted by: ModestProposal | March 4, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Mauree and everyone else here who agrees that our D is a major issue is correct. It is. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble who thinks that our current D is good enough to blow past teams that we apparently OWN. Some of the comments I read here are nuts. Like Ovechkin and Green are good enough to simply ride their offense all the way to the finals. The way I look at it is we have to acquire at least 2 very good defensemen if we want to make it to the 2nd round depending on whom we face in the 1st. And I'd like some LEADERS please. Not the bums in the locker room we currently have because they don't do much motivating. Bruce himself is wondering if this team has any real leaders besides Ovech

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Capt Kirk,
We can only hope Theo gets hot as lava. Then we need Tomas Fleishmann or Brooksy to get a couple of hatties in post season, then we'll have some teams thinking. We had the ultimate head of steam heading into the playoffs last year and to my surprise retained it and wore out a good Philly team. I will predict our demise if we have to play PITT in the first round from 2nd seed.......No we don't need an overhaul, most teams 20 game over .500 don't, but we can't be content. As far as I'm concerned we have ONE DEF worth a crap, the rest can fly man. Lets stop a couple of penalties (cuz GOD knows we take 8 minors a game) and get special teams under control. We can score, no problems there.

Posted by: bhound69 | March 4, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Pens and Isles talking about Guerin.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | March 4, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Guess Boston thinks this is the year

Posted by: honed | March 4, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

BOSTON - M Recchi
TB - TBA

Posted by: 1Harbour | March 4, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I do think the NYIslander Ice Girls are hotter than the Red Rockers. Just saying.

Posted by: saintex | March 4, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan1, They can phone them in, but, I agree, a fax machine? It is a little, 1998.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan1,
Canada is not there in technology yet. They still have huge cell phones.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Recchi to Boston..

Ouch

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 4, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

argh
ack

Posted by: oo7 | March 4, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

"GMGM is smart....He is not going to mortgage the future for the now"

Every year same thing. George claims he won't do anything then he makes a move here or there. And you can always make a move without scrwing up the future. You don't have to give up your top overall prospect just to get an old player. Thats now how the better teams operate. You can make trades even as "buyers" that address the future.

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Recchi to Boston...could be precursor to shipping Kessel out the door in a bigger deal

Posted by: docjohnson | March 4, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

DC SPORTS FAN,
We all know that toner trees are standard office equipment in NHL offices across US and Canada.....comon man! F.A.X. FAX...FAX...FAX

Posted by: bhound69 | March 4, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

OK, the Recchi move changes things a bit for me. WTF.

Posted by: Zornado | March 4, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

That girl that is ringing the bell for Vogel and Stretch, she is like 10 minutes late. Hope she is not late othewise. :-) Or maybe it's ok with her.

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Bruins just added Mark Recchi.

Posted by: cainoo7x | March 4, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I never said anything about going to the finals... but, I always think they have a chance - as long as they are in, they have a chance. Look at the Giants winning the superbowl against the Patriots... I am not going to write the team off and give up and call them losers. Sorry, that's just me. Just because they may not win the cup this year, does not make this team a failure.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

If the Bruins pick up Boumeester, may as well close up shop

Posted by: docjohnson | March 4, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

If Kessel goes for Bouwmeester, nighty night.

Posted by: Zornado | March 4, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

That doesn't make sense, Kessel will stay. BOS got stronger - they're going to go for it.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Bowmeister to Bruins? Stretch is talking Boston is in for Mr. B. If they get him, we can declare them SC winners right now

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

You can use email to fax now a days.

Posted by: ERHDC1 | March 4, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow BOS also got a 2010 second rounder. Gave up Lashoff and Karsums.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Recchi is old, sucky. No big deal.

Posted by: ThisGuy | March 4, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

"If Kessel goes for Bouwmeester, nighty night."

Can they do that with cap space? Honest question as I don't know the answer..

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 4, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Corey is in

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Wow...TB didn't get anything in that deal. That's really upsetting.

Posted by: patrone | March 4, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 1:32 PM

wayback machine to last year...
wow, the pens got hossa, fill up the cup cause its going back to pittsburgh...

one player doesnt make the difference. who did detroit pick up last year?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 4, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Recchi like 50?? You guys talk about him like he's the "next uprising" Boston can have 'em

Posted by: bhound69 | March 4, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Recchi's a good player still and he can provide some jump for a short time but the strength of that Bruins lineup lies down the middle and on defense.

I'd be happy if we just dumped Schultz. I don't see or want him as part of our "future" :) Wonder who Chris Neil goes to. Flyers or Rangers? they like that kind of player

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 4, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

one player doesnt make the difference. who did detroit pick up last year?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 4, 2009 1:34 PM

Brad Stuart. An excellent trade.

Posted by: ThisGuy | March 4, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I agree that the caps need defense to make it to the finals, but the people saying they need to make a move to get out of the first round is crazy, no matter what happens the Caps are a better team than the 6th or 7th seed in the east.

Posted by: doncosmic | March 4, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

tic toc tic toc

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

thisguy,
an excellent trade but not a bowmeester or hossa. they probably win the cup w/ or without him.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 4, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

looks like weve got a windjammer replacement who isnt WhyGo.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Whats our cap room space look like?? We have any?? Why couldn't we deal for Bouwmeester???

Posted by: bhound69 | March 4, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

1 hour and 20 minutes left, do something already GMGM

Posted by: _stevo | March 4, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

one player doesnt make the difference. who did detroit pick up last year?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 4, 2009 1:34 PM

Brad Stuart. An excellent trade.

Posted by: ThisGuy | March 4, 2009 1:35 PM

and there are tons of articles on how much of a difference Stuart made on their back line.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Recchi is a bonafide CAPS KILLER!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | March 4, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Modest,
If you'd read all my posts....

Note to self: Never try to make a joke on here.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | March 4, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: doncosmic | March 4, 2009 1:36 PM

Yeah, man. They're far superior to teams like Florida and Carolina and Colorado. Why even bother worrying?

Posted by: ModestProposal | March 4, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 4, 2009 1:04 PM

Teams do not play playoff hockey in the regular season. As long as they play playoff hockey in the playoffs....

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | March 4, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Michal Neuvirth,melt down was coming. I watched him give up 7 to the bruins. Providence Bruins!!!

Posted by: sporttraveler | March 4, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

> one player doesnt make the difference. who did detroit pick up last year?

Sometimes doesn't, sometimes does.

When Detroit picked Shanahan, it was the last piece in the puzzle and they were able to pass Avs.

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

This is GMGM. He won't do anything until after at least 2:30. ;)

Posted by: ratgurl46 | March 4, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Seven trades so far!! That is 7!!!!

WOW- Quite very very Quite.

Posted by: hunter32 | March 4, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Recchi is 90 years old, the Bruins can have him. It would really suck if they got Bouwmeester, though.

Posted by: reesem37 | March 4, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Once trade deadline passes, can Caps bring up Laing w/o fear of being claimed? He's a UFA at the end of the year and he can't be on anyone else's playoff roster but ours as of 3 pm today. The fear of not bringing him up was always about being claimed.

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 4, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Modest Prosposal quit beating me to the punch....lol.....couldn't have said it better..

Posted by: bhound69 | March 4, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I hate seeing that #8 on opposing teams and now it looks worse on the Bruins sweater.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm coming to the realization that the Caps will be left standing when the music stops. This isn't going to be the year. But at the same time, a knee-jerk reaction trade that compromises the future wouldn't be great either. We are probably going to have to wait until some of the bad contracts on the books (Nylander, Pothier, Erskine, Clark) go away, while hoping that the younger guys continue to improve.

Posted by: cainoo7x | March 4, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

anyone who goes through waivers after the deadline cannot play in the playoffs.
so as long as laing doesnt have to clear waivers, he can be called up and play.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

My concern is Caps awareness that they need a couple of players for a serious run a the cup, yet they do nothing (so far) to get those guys. They know that they need to toughen-up the team, both D and front line. There doesn't appear to be anyone in Hershey or anywhere else in the system, so why not go out and get them now? Why wait till next year? Besides, whose to say everybody will stay healthy next year? And, we'll have to replace Nylander and Federov...why not do it now?

Posted by: al852 | March 4, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil, we have to call the waaaambulance if no trades are made by the Caps. People on here are going to be crying. Who knows, maybe this isn't the year to become a Caps fan... comeback next year?

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

McPhee was just seen in Quizno's. Wasnt even on the phone.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 4, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

i was wrong about that tominfl1. i meant to say any players who is CLAIMED after the deadline off waivers cannot play in the playoffs.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

@SA-Town

HAHAHAHA Thats awesome!

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 4, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

is Laing related to Wayne Gretsky? NO......then who cares. Quentin Laing is our savior??? PULLLLEEEZZZZ

Posted by: bhound69 | March 4, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

i was laughing really hard at Boston about that Recchi deal, until i saw they gave a 2nd rounder with Rechhi too them.

Lashoff AND Karsims for just Rechhi would've been hilarious if not for that draft pick.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Gotta think the Isles, Sens and Leafs will have a fire sale soon.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Quiznos is having that free sub deal going. Saving money to bring in someone. I LIKE IT!

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | March 4, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind, folks - 3pm is the dealine for the paperwork. News of trades usually continues to trickle in until 5 or 6.

Posted by: ModestProposal | March 4, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

no no GM GM was at that Harvey's right next to Tim Horton's off I-75

Posted by: hunter32 | March 4, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

apparantly GMGM accidentally faxed his mortgage refinance application to the league office and now we have traded semin for a four bedroom, 3 bath house in northern virginia.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 4, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Im not saying Mark Rechhi was out guy, but I would really like to see some experience added to the room. Clark out, Pothier out, Johnson out. Nylander out...All of our vets are non-factors.

You saw how inexperienced we were vs. Philly in the first 4 games last year.

We need Esa Tikkanen. haha

Posted by: SA-Town | March 4, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Isles, Sens, and Leafs are holding out for the best deals.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | March 4, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Forsberg retires

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

From TSN: Forsberg is in Denver to announce his retirement.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | March 4, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

when semin missed that open net last night in the first period, i had a nightmare flashback of tikkanen in the finals

Posted by: _stevo | March 4, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

if we dont pick 3 shut down d men, 1 elite (im thinking khabi elite) goalie, and 7 gritty veteran forwards we will not make it past the 1st round.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Ted on his blog says not to expect much. So it is said.

Posted by: Zornado | March 4, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm not surprised that the Caps haven't made any moves yet. GMGM didn't really give us any reason to think he would (except for his penchant for doublespeak).

What does surprise me, though, is how eerily quiet it seems to be all around the league. All the deadline day trades made so far fit easily on my computer monitor (no scrolling needed). Either things are gonna get crazy here in the next hour, or this year's kind of a dud. Guess we'll see.

Posted by: BigRed8 | March 4, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 1:27 PM

The call-in lets the league know that there's a deal to be recorded and "freezes" the clock. Faxes are legally acceptable, and all deals have to be recorded.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

SA TOWN and DC FAN.....hilarious!!!

Posted by: bhound69 | March 4, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil... haha, I actually thought that was one of them... until I read your name.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bhound69 | March 4, 2009 1:48 PM

Anyone who doesn't think Laing couldn't at least help a little has never watched hockey. He would be worthwhile to bring up for some energy, especially now if another team can't claim him away. Plus his cap hit is pennies.

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 4, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Too many teams still in the hunt for playoffs - could be a quiet day. Hour to go.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

dominic moore to chicago says espn

Posted by: _stevo | March 4, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

RE: Bouwmiester to Boston

I'm not sure we don't want this trade to go down. Trading Kessell for Bouwmiester would improve the B's no doubt. However, they give up their top goal scorer. If they don't get secondary goal scoring during the playoffs they could be one and done.

The key lesson here is that a major trade like this completly shakes up the chemestry of the team. There is no telling if Boston will become a super stud or a super stud if they make this big a move.

Posted by: patrone | March 4, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

super stud or a super dud...doh!

Posted by: patrone | March 4, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I think it's safe to say, not much is gonna happen on our end today. So we might as well get us to the team we have, and I'm fine with that, we are gonna have our ups and down's and you would be a fool not to think that, plus I would rather go thru a funk now then april 15th :)

Posted by: rarcr | March 4, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Guerin is going to Pens.

Posted by: ds_kelly | March 4, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Guerin to Pens

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

If we don't pick up a 6'5", 230lb, left handed defensman with a first name that rhymes with Earl, we are not going to beat Toronto this Thursday.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Vogel: "The most we saw Phoenix and Minnesota scouts..."

Ok, Wild was about Backstrom, he is gone.

If we won't get Morris, there's nothing worth left out there

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

TSN retracts Forsberg retirement.

Guerin to Pens.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | March 4, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Guerin to PIT.

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

guerin to pittsburgh.. just heard the moore rumor was false...

Posted by: ovys8 | March 4, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

pens got guerrin

Posted by: _stevo | March 4, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Toronto says Moore not going to Chicago.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

i have it from a reliable source that while calling the league office in toronto, GM used the wrong country code for canada. therefore, we have traded flash and fehr to austria for their number 1 bobsled team and a luger to be named later.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 4, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Guerin to the pens

Posted by: rarcr | March 4, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Tarik was right about Guerin to Pens

Pens obviusly getting a muscle. Sunday game would be different.

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

That makes sense for the Pens. Who did they give up?

Posted by: Greg S. | March 4, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

just curious as to what the reaction would be if the Caps get Antropov? haven't heard anything, just curious..

Posted by: ovys8 | March 4, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Pens get Guerin from the Isles

Posted by: sazzwho | March 4, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

7 trades so far....oh no This just in Jessica Beil for Jeesica Alba and a Jessica to mentioned later along with a Cowboy

Posted by: hunter32 | March 4, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Knowing the CAPS luck, GMGM will unluckily be dumbfounded when he realizes in the last minute their office has run out the faxable version of form HJ404980 to "trade NHL player". BLASTED! BOUWMEESTER COULD HAVE BEEN OURS!!!!!!!

Posted by: bhound69 | March 4, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Now Guerin to Pens. Everybody getting pieces of puzzle they need for playoffs.
Everybody but...you know who.

Posted by: al852 | March 4, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

oens get guerin

Posted by: docjohnson | March 4, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

How about we keep up with the East and get Ryan Smyth and Morris - through in Doug Weight too?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

ovys8, Locker would be happy. He would get to say "Big Nik Antropov" on a nightly basis.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 4, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I really don't care if we make any trades, just dump Nylander's salary somehow!!

And Guerin to the Pens...just heard it on the Nhl Network

Posted by: PhilR | March 4, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

yeah, its been a pretty dead deadline this year, but i was expecting that. there's not much to work with, and this deadline is all about the playoff contenders loading up their blue line.

as for the caps, guess what guys? GMGM had most of your considerations thought out...and then they got injured (clark) or decided not to play (nyls). This creates our "gritty" void on the front line. Then, we expected to trade one of our vet forwards for a vet d man. Well guess what? No one wants what we are giving. As for the goalie situation, GMGM said he was putting his "faith" into theo hands when he signed him. What, did you expect GMGM to sign a mediocre #1 goalie for 4.5 mil/yr and then get ANOTHER one before the deadline of the same year?

ive said it before, and ill say it again, anyone who expected a cup this year even before the first game was even played has some really lofty expectations for their sports team. Being new to hockey or the caps is fine, but completely not understanding the dynamics of a pro hockey team and calling everyone else an idiot makes you look like the pompous ass.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Watching Guerin score in OT of game 7 of our first round series against the Pens is going to sting. Especially if Sid sets it up.

Posted by: Zornado | March 4, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

> just curious as to what the reaction would be if the Caps get Antropov?

Vogel and Tarik said he was not worth it.

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

throw - whoops

I'm pissed

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 4, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

ovys8, that is who I would like to see in a Caps sweater... big guy in front of the net. That is our power forward we need.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Ovys8, did you hurt your foot today...just wunderrrrin?

Posted by: bhound69 | March 4, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I could see us trading Flash or Fehr or possibly Laich or any of the guys in Hershey for a solid D-man if one is available. I'm not sure who's left after Pronger taken off the market and Montador traded. Don't get me wrong, I like those guys, but we need better D more than secondary scoring.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | March 4, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Pens gave up some guy named TBA.

Posted by: ds_kelly | March 4, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil

so tell me, when will be the year of the SC?

Posted by: mauree | March 4, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

TBA = Sidney Crosby :-) I think Stretch was first though

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 4, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN:

An Eastern Conference source says the Derek Morris chase is heating up as we tick toward the 3 pm ET deadline. The source claims the Caps, Rangers and Flyers are the main competitors for the Coyotes defenseman.

Posted by: jmhall1 | March 4, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Isles are bad enough, last thing they need is Crosby.

Posted by: ds_kelly | March 4, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Mauree, 2 years ago I told a Sabres fan that the Caps would win the cup within the next 5 years. So, we have 3 more years left on that promise.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Salute - richmondphil

Posted by: bhound69 | March 4, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Doom and gloom in mass abundance. Most of these trades will be looked at as failures in a few months...only 1 team wins the Cup. Everyone just wants a little action because every veteran or defensemen that moves somewhere right now looks like the shiny missing link needed for Calgary or Boston or Pittsburgh to win the Cup!

Long term plan, little moves. Buy into it...because I'm not buying into trading the whole cookie for a rental to just get us a few rounds further. GMGM will make the SMART moves that will continue to see this team progress. The goal is to keep getting better...not get better for 4 months without being "good enough" at the end of those 4 months.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 4, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

NHL network thinks NYR is front runner for Morris.

Posted by: ds_kelly | March 4, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Bill Guerin will play at the Verizon Center on Sunday in Black and White.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 4, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

And you should know a lot about pompous asses richmondphil.

Posted by: PhilR | March 4, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: _stevo | March 4, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Guerin TBA = conditional draft pick

Posted by: ds_kelly | March 4, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

_828, I said the same thing to some JA montreal fan in 1974 but I added a zero to my prediction so I wouldn't look so bad. (50)

Posted by: bhound69 | March 4, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Conditional draft pick = the one that pulls the shortest straw.

Posted by: 1Harbour | March 4, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I dont know mauree, I cant predict the future. I do know that we are almost done with our rebuild and I would like to see us finish it out.

The pens rebuilt around the same time we did. I guess theirs can be said to have started a year after ours. They gave up quite a bit last year to make a strong bid to the Cup. Now look at their situation this year. I would rather have us basically guarantee a PO spot for the next 10-15 years, rather then try a bunch of fill and dump runs.

The reality is is that our back is too far up against the cap, and the people who can relieve it, no other teams want. We also have 50 players signed, which is the max so that means we cant even just pick someone up. Given our cap situation, our lack of blue liners, and our lack of a playoff tested goalie, i dont see how anyone can expect a Cup this year.

Even if i wanted to trade half our prospects to solidify a Cup run, we cant. We dont have the Cap or roster space, and the people we want to give no other teams want. Thats the reality of our deadline situation.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

And you should know a lot about pompous asses richmondphil.

Posted by: PhilR | March 4, 2009 2:07 PM

population: 2

Posted by: richmondphil | March 4, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

bhound69,
Well, you have a few more years than I do on my promise.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I still think it is really quiet today for deadline day.

Posted by: ERHDC1 | March 4, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Chill Phil - the fun of trade day is speculation and anticipation. That is the only involvement fans can have. In the end it is what it is and every team goes forward with what they have. I think most people here realize that.

Posted by: ds_kelly | March 4, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Guerin for a conditional pick....is the NHL helping the Pens out, giving the Isles something else like discounting the Yashin payoff for this trade??

Posted by: sazzwho | March 4, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

828, I know, but its gets harder and harder to cross fingers every year.

Posted by: bhound69 | March 4, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ds_kelly | March 4, 2009 2:16 PM

I think most people don't realize this... and this goes on every week - before or after the trade deadline. Phil was just trying to make people understand the situation.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

bhound69, our of your 30+ years of watching the Caps... I think you can agree that we are getting closer with these bunch of kids, right?

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

-DaveCapsfan

That's a completely inaccurate statement. In fact its just plain dumb. What if a fringe playoff team or one that isn't even in teh playoffs right now makes a few trades thatt gets them INTO the playoffs. Will they view the trades as failures just because they may not go all the way? Course not. Not every team that makes a deadline trade view them as failures if they don't win the cup. Sometimes you need to simply see some progress which for some teams is simply MAKING the playoffs. It helps the team's confidence, helps generate some revenue, and it helps get the fans into it and builds a foundation for the next year.

The only teams who may view trades as a failure are teams who are higher ranked in the standings who may get blown out early in the 1st round and if the players they acquire dont' contribute anything AND the players they give UP end up being valuable. That's a clear failure, not the blanket way you laid it out.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 4, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

And you should know a lot about pompous asses richmondphil.

Posted by: PhilR | March 4, 2009 2:07 PM

touche!

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 4, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1, I think that's what he means... it happened with the Caps last year. Those trades helped build confidence and look at the Caps now.

Posted by: _828 | March 4, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

828, I get goosebumps everyday, the fact that the turn around from completely awful to playoff/cup contender happened so quick, it really hasn't set in. I have limited my disappointment to the conf finals, we must make that far!!

Posted by: bhound69 | March 4, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I will bet if we make no changes on D now, we will be doing it in the off-season hoping we get no key injuries or unforeseen problems that will prevent us from getting to this position or better again next year.

Like a re-hired coach said recently: the organization's primary job is not to make the players happy, it's to get the best out of them.

But that's just one opinion

Posted by: austinsteve | March 4, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I got some nice reaction on my thought about Antropov.. I guess I've finally made it big time on the blog here ..

Well it's 2:34pm now and it's looking more likely the Caps aren't going to do anything.. They need a D-man badly.. ship Jurcina or Morrison in a deal and bring up Alzer.. but they also need a big man up front, which is the only reason I'm in favor or Antropov (or bring up Osala)..

Posted by: ovys8 | March 4, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

PS - after I smashed a few sticks, my foot felt much better.. thanks for the concern..

Posted by: ovys8 | March 4, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Chris Neil to the Panthers....could be the missing link for that team,especially when the Caps have mostly finesse-type players,not the in-your-face,charge-the-net,stand-up for your teammates type guy.

Posted by: roccky | March 4, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I like anyone else don't want to see certain prospects traded off the roster. Osala, Carlson, Godfrey for example. But Bourque, Morin, Giroux, #55, Boyd Gordon, even Alzner in the right deal would be ok for me.

You can't get a good player for a bad one. But maybe another team thinks they can turn Schultz into a tower of power instead of a namby pamby.

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Neil to the Panthers? ouch! that was one we should have jumped on. The Panthers if we faced them in the playoffs could beat us I think. Their D is better if they don't dump JayB

Posted by: maven1918 | March 4, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I would have loved to see Khabibulin. Wow, it really sucks we got rid of Huet.

Posted by: Ovechomper | March 4, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

12 minutes til the disappointment sets in...

Posted by: CapManJ | March 4, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Philly exchanged a-holes with Phoenix. There's a draft pick mixed in there as well.

Posted by: reesem37 | March 4, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

derick morris to NYR

Posted by: hunter32 | March 4, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Rangers making moves...Morris and Antropov

Posted by: reesem37 | March 4, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Damn........So the Rangers get more sloppy seconds......Avery

Boston Gets Recchi.....big deal

Every team in the league had a shot at Laing before he was sent to Hershey......what has he done to increase his worth this year? I havent seen him play this year.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | March 4, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Rangers gave up 3 NHL ready players for Morris? Was he worth it? Pick your 3 caps that make sense.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | March 4, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Eminger to Florida...Hmmm. Could this lead to the way being cleared for Jay to the....

Posted by: hunter32 | March 4, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

The biggest move out there today were the pickups Calgary had. They were pretty good and got a lot better. Everyone else...meh. Recchi to Boston....meh. Guerin to the Penguins? He's an older, slower version of Satan, not sure how he's going to help Pittsburgh much.

Bouwmeester and Pronger didn't go to any top Eastern contenders, that's fine with me. I don't see anything here that makes anyone significantly better than what they were before.

Posted by: jollyroger2 | March 4, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse