Ovechkin vs. Crosby: It's Back!

Here's the latest from our good friend Slava Malamud of Sport-Express:

Seeing two great players shove each other and exchange harsh words has probably become the new "it" thing in hockey. It's what the cool kids do nowadays, it seems.

At least when two certain teams get together. Seriously, have the Caps and Pens provided the NHL with two or three seasons' worth of melodrama or what? We have had Ovechkin vs. Malkin, Semin vs. Crosby, and Ovechkin vs. Malkin II: The Truce Accord all before the All Star break was even over. Kind of makes you long for the good old days of decency and civility when it was plain, old-fashioned Ovechkin vs Crosby, right?

Never fret, the throwback rivalry was back in force this afternoon, as Alex and Sidney exchanged pleasantries late in the second period.

It seems that Ovechkin's hit on Crosby in the January game, which The Kid called "cheap" triggered the action. Crosby, though, was not willing to discuss this after the game.

"I was skating to the bench and he pushed me from behind so I gave him a shot back," Crosby said. "That's hockey and he likes to run around these days. That was it."

Meanwhile, Ovechkin, in the other dressing room, was being a bit more verbose.

"What can I say about Crosby?" he said. "He is a good player, but he talks too much. I play hard and if he wants to hit me, he can hit me, not talk to you guys about who plays cheap and who plays dirty. That's my game... If he doesn't like it, it's his problem."

Later on, when I got my chance to speak to Ovie in Russian, he seemed to be jokingly frustrated about the whole "cheap shot" issue.

"What, I can't play hard against him? What is he going to do, cry?"

If you wonder what Crosby did, he shouldered his way thorugh a crowded hallway, as Ovechkin and Malkin were talking there, without saying a word.

And yes, Ovechkin and Malkin were talking. And Alex was convincing Geno that he is not going out of his way to hit him anymore. Everything is really fine between these two now. It's back to the roots in the Caps-Pens rivalry, folks.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 22, 2009; 5:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps 5, Penguins 2
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

"What, I can't play hard against him? What is he going to do, cry?"

Bwahahahahahahaha!

Posted by: Baildog | February 22, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Malkin better be careful. Crosby may not let him play with his toys when he comes over to Mario's house.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | February 22, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

That's funny. Guess this bunch will entertain us for many years to come! :-)

RE: Doc, I did not hear him today but I actually like him. If I can't listen to Joe B., Doc would be my second choice. Now I don't know why he can't get his Caps fan numbers right, but other than that I think he does a good job.

JMU:
You picked a good one to go to!! :-D

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 22, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Second period has started...Go Bolts - Beat the Bruins...

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 22, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I have a question, this might be a stupid question but what exactly is the reason Cindy and Ovie don't like each other? Is it just because they're the two best players in the NHL and they're just not supposed to like each other?... but yeah they don't give a crap about each other, and that's clear. Also, I find it interesting that when Ovie speaks, it comes acoss as classy and respectful. When Cindy talks it's like he's disrespectful, angry, and bitter. Crosby is always complaining about being hit, it's freakin' hockey! (every hit laid on Crosby he deems "cheap") In conclusion, Ovechkin is a man, Cindy is a little boy. :)

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Cry Cindy,you and you hee haw fans loser fans. They are sickening. As a long time follower it pleases me to see Caps Nation growing in huge numbers. Shouting these clowns down and the action on the ice warranting the fervor. On to Tuesday and the Flyers and hopefully 2 more points.Really the only thing that could be sweeter is we were back in our old division,like the good old days. This is a huge week for the Caps. 6 of the next 7 at home and a game against the B's.

Posted by: ridgely1 | February 22, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

i love it!

Posted by: oo7 | February 22, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I went back and watched some replays of todays game. Remember when Crosby was yelling at Brooks saying he didnt like being hit from behind? Theo was covering the puck and Erskine was standing in the crease facing him. Crosby came up from behind and with his stick between Erskines legs wacked him very high on his inner thigh. Thats when Brooksie came in and cleaned him out. And Cindy wants to say everyone else is taking cheapshots, what a punk.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Yay tampa scored! 3-2

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

"What, I can't play hard against him?" Bingo!
Fifty two percent of player respondents to a recent poll said Sidney Crosby is the Biggest Whiner in the NHL.
Fifty two per cent is my new Crysby cheer.

Posted by: redlineblue | February 22, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me, but why do we even have Brash on the team. Ovie got roughed up, Semin got run, and Brash did nothing. Ovie may not need protection, but he should get it anyway. Anyone who goes after Ovie should have to face Brash. When is the last time he even tried to protect someone on the Caps? All he does if fight the other teams enforcer, big deal!

Posted by: majiksea | February 22, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

...woooooow. Maaaan. Definitely enough melodrama for the entire NHL minus Sean Avery.

Watching Boston/Tampa now.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 22, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Cindy forgot to stop by Section 112 and pick up the box of tissues I had for him. Too bad, he needed them during and after the game!

Posted by: puckman | February 22, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

From previous thread, I agree with 117. Nice win. Nice way to fix the mess from Friday, and the NHL was merciful to us on Saturday. Now, let's talk Philly. I want to stomp Philly and put an exclamation point on the season series.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 22, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: majiksea | February 22, 2009 6:28 PM

noticed that too, looks like Brash is out for himself and not his teammates. I think he's content to mix things up in his own way and respond to hits like when Orpik ran him. But he generally doesn't seem to send a direct message to another player who runs of his guys. I have no answer for that. And really even the Penguins enforcer didn't do much until Brashear ran Whitney late in the game

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 22, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's because he knows he'll get a penalty that could change the game.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure not even Gino like Crosby anymore! How 'bout Malkin for Nylander and 'accessories'?? Anyone in??? Georgie, do it do it! ; ) Go Caps!!

Posted by: edmontoncapsfan | February 22, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

stupid boston tied

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

**likes Cindy!(sorry)

Posted by: edmontoncapsfan | February 22, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

all i see here is one citywide case of Sidney envy. you know if he was on your team you bandwagoners would be sniffing his jock.

Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 22, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

edmontoncapsfan: As much as I love that, Pittsburgh's GM would have to be drunk to trade Malkin for Nylander, lol, Nylander?! Why in the world would they want him, he sucks! Well, for us he sucks, he just doesn't fit our style. He looks lost every single night and all he does is skate in circles, he doesn't make ANY plays.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Great game by the Caps. They seemed so much more psyched up than the Pens. I figured the Pens might not have much left in the tank after their game with Philly yesterday. (I was actually rooting for the Pens vs Philly and happy that it was a tough game that probably took a lot out of them.)

I'll take our penalty prone bunch, if they manage to win. They hardly took any penalties vs Colorado and lost!

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 22, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Crosby is one of the most overrated players in the history of the NHL. Not that he isn't very good. But he isn't Wayne Gretzky and he isn't Mario Lemeiuex and he never will be. Despite all of the NHL's hype and PR about the guy.

Posted by: poguesmahone | February 22, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Anyone here at the game today? I'm wondering how many Pens fans managed to get tickets.

Posted by: EricCarr | February 22, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

@puckheaded1

Go back to PensBlog. Did Cindy get his own place yet or is he still living in Mario's basement?

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Boo,
I totally did!
I have to say though, my section was at least 60% Pens fans, if not closer to 75 or 80. They seem to have bought a huge block because it was three solid rows in the center, then scattered all around. Made the bad parts worse, but the good parts even sweeter! Besides the few guys cursing up to our right, they were pretty pleasant though.

Hockey n Heels was really fun and Flash has earned a place on my Caps Top 5 list with his sense of humor. It was cool to see such a wide range of fans there, age-wise and hockey knowledge-wise. I'll post a link later to some pictures I have from practice yesterday (including one of Ovi that's hilarious) and what I got of Hockey n Heels before my camera died.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 22, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Go away, puckheaded1. Yeah you're exactly right, we're ENVIOUS that we don't have Sidney, lol, you are so crazy. I don't know why you're coming on here saying "if he was on your team, blah, blah, blah.." It seems you guys need Sidney more cause the last time I checked you guys were in 10th place and not going to the playoffs. I'm glad he's on your team so you can deal with his whining and childish ways. You don't need to worry about us Caps, we're goin' to the playoffs, worry about your Pens, cause you're obvious a Pens fan.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I'll say what I've been saying to my Pens fan friends and coworkers - As soon as Ovechkin knowingly punches a player in his manhood from behind while the guy is bent over and defenseless, THEN Cindy will have a leg to stand on when it comes to talking about "cheap" shots.

I never thought I'd live to see a whinier hypocrite of a player than Micheal Peca in his days with the Sabres, but congrats, Sid. You've proven me wrong.

Posted by: ModestProposal | February 22, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

and to be fair to Semin he did have a nice goal and a great assist by stealing that puck to get it to Fedorov

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 22, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 22, 2009 6:51 PM

Listless 5 on 5 against Colorado doesn't excuse anything. Pittsburgh's got what, the 24th best PP unit? They're playing with fire on Tuesday if they take give Philly 8 PPs.

Posted by: Section117 | February 22, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

---------------

Please tell me you're kidding. Brash is one reason why folks don't take more runs at Ovie. Ovie can protect himself, and Brash certainly isn't going to go after Crosby. Brash is not on the ice when folks took runs today, and he certainly isn't going to go out on a line opposite Crosby and Malkin to try to send a message.

Washington has among the fewest fighting majors in the league, and Brash is one of the reasons for that. Folks don't mess around with the Caps for the most part.

Plus, the Caps are a team loaded with big, tough guys, and we don't need Brash to protect these guys as much.

Lastly, Ovie doesn't need Brash's help in the toughness department. He can handle himself, and if he ever gets in a fight, I'm sure Brash will be out there on the next shift to let whomever they're playing know who's in charge.

Posted by: lingering_lead | February 22, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

@puckheaded1

Oh yeah you're probably saying "if he was on your team..." cause you don't want him either! Too bad! Don't be jealous cause you wish your team had Ovie but instead you have an immature and whiny little baby who's more into showing us he's tough than tryin' to help his team win. What a loser, like ludeman95 said, go back to Pensblog, where you guys can cry like Sidney.

Gosh, I really hate when opposing team's fans (espcially Pens fans) come on here and start talkin' crap, go back to where you belong, stupid Pensblog!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Brash said in his postgame interview that if he takes runs at thier key players that all it's going to do is draw a penalty.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Boo did not go to the game with me today (silly man). I asked him if he watched it and he said he did not see much because he was flipping back and forth between that and soccer (sorry Dave - football). I told him that Ovi and Crosby got into it a bit and he said, "Crosby better watch out or he's gonna get his @#$ kicked." He may not be a big hockey fan, but he still knows a thing or two about the NHL! :-)

JMU:
Glad you had a good time! (I trust you made it home safely?) Bummer about the Pens fans, but at least you had the last laugh!! :-D What did Flash say/do that was so funny?

EricCarr:
There were a lot of Pens fans there but not as much as last season (frankly, more than I expected ... I thought that game was pretty much sold out to STHs before the season started?). If I had to guess I would say maybe 15%? (But I'm not good at those things, so don't hold me to it! :-)) I'd be curious to hear what the others think.

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 22, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game and trust me Brash did try to start a few fights. The problem is that none of the Pens would go for it...they just skated away from him. But cut the guys some slack he did try and there just weren't any takers....apparently they like to talk trash but won't actually do anything about it. He tried to get at least 2 guys to fight to no avail....

Posted by: hockeygrl76 | February 22, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

It's not talking crap, it's the truth, and the truth is painful, isn't it? Look at the numbers and awards - Sid has done more by the age of 21 than Ovie had by age 21. Last I checked Ovie hasn't even gotten past the first round of the playoffs!

BTW the Pens have won 4 of the LAST 5 games at your precious Verizon Center. But you probably didn't know that, since you are all bandwagon fans and weren't even paying attention!

let's face it. Both Crosby and Ovechkin are world class players. It's like arguing over which is better, lobster or filet mignon.

However, I'll say this much. When Crosby's Pens went 7-1-1 against Ovie's Caps the past few years, you never saw Crosby taunting Ovie near the end of the game, because he's above that. Clearly not all superstars are.

Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 22, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

There is no rivalry, because Cindy couldn't hold Ovechkin's jock...although I am sure he would love to get that close to another man's, a much stronger man's, cup.

It's Ovechkin, and everybody else. Hockey isn't about a bunch of finesse ice skaters, who get 2 points a game passing to the big boys on a power play. You want the face of hockey? Missing a tooth, scruffy beard, goal scoring phenom who can entertain 18,000 at an All-Star game.

Not a pansy who sits out the same game with a sore mangina

Posted by: gtydings | February 22, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

@ludeman95: An interesting point. We've already noticed that the refs seem pretty call-happy against us - as if we've earned a reputation of sorts. No sense in making that worse.

Please don't feed the trolls....

Agreed, far too many penalties. We will get slaughtered if we give the Flyers that many power plays ... but then, they have the same problem :)

Posted by: kittypawz | February 22, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

puckhead,

Have you seen video of Ov punching someone in the crotch as 3rd player in? Thought not, but we've all seen Sid speed bagging that dude in Atl.

Sid is talented, no doubt, but he's also the biggest whinebag in the NHL.

Posted by: Steve_R | February 22, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Bolts score, now leading 4-3 with 1:43 to go in 3rd agains the Bruins!

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 22, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

come on baby!!!!! daddy needs a new pair of shoes!!!

Posted by: CapsSkins | February 22, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

1:00 minute, 1:00 minute remaining in the period!

Posted by: CapsSkins | February 22, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

LIGHTNING SCORE - Prospal with a PP goal. 4-3 Lightning with 1 minute left in the 3rd and Boston's net is now empty. Boston took two consecutive penalties.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 22, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Bruins lost... awesome!

Posted by: dmwechs1 | February 22, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Bolts Win!

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 22, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Rays - win

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 22, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Lightning!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 22, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

BOLTS WIN! WOOHOO! Ramo was a beast out there tonight. 40 saves.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 22, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

go tampa go tampa!!!!!

Posted by: CapsSkins | February 22, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

puckheaded1, don't waste your breath. I don't care about the past, it's about right now and we've beaten you the last 3 games, and the truth is very painful for you, you guys aren't even in a playoff spot right now. You can talk about how Sidney has done things that Ovechkin hasn't done but Sidney has never won all 4 awards in the same season and if you haven't noticed, the tide is turning, the Capitals are clearly the better overall team. Other than Sid and Malkin, there's not much. There's a big dropoff between those two and the rest. Also, Malkin is best player on the team, not Sid. Plus, why are you worrying about this anyway, you need to worry about getting into the playoffs first!

Past years... blah blah blah! Your'e about to be swept by us once March 8 rolls around. Now go back to Pensblog!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

@phead

go ahead and live in the past, i know its all you got at this point. I am happy to have the better team (and players) NOW!!!!

Posted by: mikebrady1 | February 22, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Just seven points back of the Bruins with 22 games to go...

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 22, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

@Pensblogtroll

Of course he's done more by the age of 21, they've both been in the league 4 years and he's only 21 now(turns 22 in aug). How dumb do you think we are? I don't want Ov to be considered a superstar if that means he has to jump guys off of faceoffs and hit'em in the jewels from behind.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

This Saturday's game against the B's is going to be huge...Who is going to the game in Boston?

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 22, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

@puckheaded1:

Also, the part where you’re talking about how Sidney is above taunting made me LAUGH OUT LOUD! Are you kidding me? Sidney is worst than Ovechkin, all he does is pick little fights cause he‘s a baby! Remember that one time against the Panthers he picked a fight with Brett McLean?! Wow, that was the most classless thing I have ever seen a hockey player do, pick a fight with a guy whose head is down during a faceoff. What a loser! If you’re a man, you would be like “you wanna fight, okay let’s go” but no he attacks the poor guy when he’s head is freakin DOWN! He only pulled Brett's jersey over his head cause he knew if he could see, he would lose the fight. Goodness, if you’re goin to fight, fight fair and square, give the guy a chance. THAT is a cheap shot.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

just passed SJ and BOS for second most goals behind DET - but SJ has three games in hand

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 22, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

And just like someone else said on here, Can I borrow your Delorean? Mines in the shop right now. This is'nt history class, let's talk about THIS season.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

puckheaded1,
nobody jumped on a Caps bandwagon, maybe some jumped off Pitts bandwagon :) Crosby achived less than Ovie individually and it was TEAMS achievement of Finals and specifically more Hossa + Conklin. Crosby and Malkin are assist makers not game deciders (on their own). Ovie is a game decider and he won MORE individually than Crosby and Alex is the Worlds Best Player, yet all individual trophies and MVP award don't ring any bell in your head, well lets see how Ur team manages without a good goalie, Ovie&Co made it to PO last year with bad goaltending. Losing a final is not an achievment by the way, maybe for losers it is, but great player count the rings on their fingers for SC, not Finals. And I see Ovechkin&Co (hes not an all mighty captain like Crosby, who achieves the PO series by himself :)) has better chances of winning
Whos taunting Crosby?! He was wining all the game and made a couple of cheapshots with his stick and NO teammate of his protected him, when he got pushed by Caps, maybe they are tired of his "leadership and captaincy".

Posted by: Hazz | February 22, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Highlights at http://espn.go.com/nhl/ end with Ovi-Crosby altercation. I watched it twice and couldn't see anything from Ovi that would have justified such reaction from the CryBaby. Could you?........

Posted by: fnralch | February 22, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

After reading Crosby's postgame comments and watching him in action at the end of the second period I think that he is actually a bit afraid of Ovechkin...he clearly had no idea what his next move was going to be after Ovie pulled his helmet off...

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 22, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

puckheaded1:

In struggling times like these, hold onto the past cause you ain't got nothing else. But in life, aren't you supposed to live in the now? I'm really sorry your Pens are bad, not.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

i think Sid has made a lot of dumb decisions this season and he's not perfect. but let's face it, he's a phenomenal player (as is Ovie, despite his penchant for running around like a 5 year old). Judging by all the comments, all you bitter bandwagon Caps fans can't accept it and, as I said, would take him on your team in a HEARTBEAT.

Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 22, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

The Bruins could be in trouble this week - having to play hot Florida next and the Caps on Saturday...

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 22, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Caps fans don't like picklesniffers...which is what Cindy is.

Posted by: gtydings | February 22, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

puckheaded1:
i respect how you can acknowledge OV as one of the elite player in the nhl. how do you come to the conclusion that all caps fans are bandwagoners?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 22, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

@MReilly9: They'll be looking for revenge for the shutout last night, too.

I'm not looking at Boston yet - we've had more trouble with the Flyers than with Boston this year, and if we keep taking that many stupid penalties like we did tonight, they'll torch us. Let's talk about what we need to do to ground the Flyers, yes?

Posted by: kittypawz | February 22, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

"running around like a 5 year old," that applies to Sidney. puckheaded1, you are retarded! If you haven't noticed, all these comments are REASONS WHY WE DON'T WANT CRYSBY! OUR TEAM IS PERFECT THE WAY IT IS, crybsy would make us worse! God, you are so stupid! :)

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

I would also like to ask you to tell us the exact reason why you come on here and say “if Crosby was on your team…” Is it because you are sick of him as well?

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

@Pinheaded1: Ovechkin is a man; Cindy is a boy. The way he comports himself, with the crying both on the ice and off (remember the poll of NHLers that cited him as the biggest baby in the league), and only tries the rough stuff from behind. Ovechkin puts pucks in nets and runs anyone on the other team.

Watching Ovechkin take up for Backstrom at the end of the Edmonton game, when the game was already over, showed how much more of a true leader he is than Cindy will ever be. His boy was getting accosted from behind and Ovie grabbed the opponent, letting him know to keep that cheap crap to himself. You never see Cindy Crosby or Jenny Malkin stick up for folks like that. Instead they cry and ask why people are taking shots at them! Hilarious. Of course, they are following in the footsteps of Maria Lemieux and that long-haired beauty, Jagr, who cried a lot to others.

I am no bandwagon fan. I was there in 1974 when my parents got season tickets to a really crummy expansion team. However, if we had Cindy as the face of our franchise I would turn in my jerseys and start watching the pro bowlers tour. One must have standards in this life, and one of my standards is to not pull the likes of Cindy Crosby.

Posted by: crooks_c | February 22, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz:
i agree. i wonder if green's comments after the col game had anything to do with the caps looking past the avs to todays game. the bos game means nothing today - prep for and take care of philly, then its about ATL. thursday around 10p can be about catching the b's

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 22, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I know i am feeding the trolls here but I just have to answer.

@puckheaded1

No i wouldn't take him in a heartbeat I personally like my centers to not wear pink lip gloss and throw cheap punches on a player who is already involved in a fight with someone else.

All i hear from pens fans is the same old boring thing.. "YOU WOULD LOVE HIM IF HE WAS ON YOUR TEAM" Not really... I would take Backstrom over Cindy any day of the week.

You FAIL sir. As does your team.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | February 22, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I would like malkin on the caps, but not really sure about crosby. i think he wouldnt be worth the hit to team chemistry.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | February 22, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

@puckhead

The only bandwagon people have been jumping on lately is the one for Pens fans jumping off cliffs with a big poster on the side that says "VOMIT". That and making sure to yell at any Caps fan they see that 18 years ago they won a couple Cups, while most of us supposedly haven't been watching hockey until last year when the Caps mysteriously appeared in the DC sports landscape.

As much as we might hate on Crosby it's for far more legit reasons than Pens fans hate on Ovechkin. Crosby isn't even the best player on his team anymore. I still think he's the 3rd best player in the league but Ovie and Malkin both have surpassed him in how they dominate a game. I hope we get to see you guys again come playoff time because it would be the best series to watch in all honesty.

I respect you guys but get over the bandwagon crap, plenty of us have been watching Caps hockey for over 20 years (21 for me). I wonder how many "long time Pens fans" jumped on the bandwagon after the Mario years. I wish every Caps fan have known how great this team is to cheer on as long as I have but I'm just happy they've reached another level in the past 2-3.

I wouldn't take Crosby on my team at 9 mil a year. If Pens had gotten Ovie you guys would be just as happy as we are.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 22, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

You say Crosby's done more than Ovi had by 21. You need to check your facts though. Ovechkin was almost 19 when he was drafted. He was 20 before he started playing NHL level hockey. Crosby wasn't 18 when he was drafted, and started playing shortly after he turned 18. Of course Crosby's done more. He had three seasons of NHL hockey before his 21st. Ovechkin had one.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 22, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Um, there's no point in arguing with this guy. You can't reason with a Pens fan. Besides, the Caps already pantsed Crosby, now it's time to focus on his whiny twin, Briere.

Posted by: aaman4ever | February 22, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

@fnraich
thanks for posting the replay. Looked like a clear retaliation by Sidney for, um, nothing. Question for p-head from the cheap seats on the bandwagon, what's so great about Crosby?

Posted by: bluejeener1 | February 22, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Not all Caps fans nowadays are bandwagoners, but let's be honest, until Ovechkin arrived on the scene, not a whole lot of people were paying attention to the Washington Capitals.

Face and accept it, the reason all you posters jump on Crosby (and conveniently ignore the fact that he was MVP, Art Ross winner, captained a team to the Cup Finals, etc. etc. before Ovie did any of that, and, at a younger age) is because the Pens have historically OWNED the Capitals.

Hence, my original point - bitter, bandwagon Capitals fans with SIDNEY ENVY.

Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 22, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

"I would actually take Crosby in a heartbeat. Then I'd flip him for some draft picks, maybe a few more young guys to stack the farm and a reliable, veteran D to steady our young blue line for a year or two." Classic.

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 22, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

puckheaded1, you can judge anything you like with Ur attitude of "bandwagon or glory hunters and so on" just because you didnt see it coming (Caps maturity)! Even Crosby is the "Face of the NHL" you still promote an imaginary "Ovechkins bandwagon"? Well he EARNED IT the hard way! I was on your boards and blogs and read there far more worse staff about Ovie, than here about Crosby. And Caps fans admit his talents and being one of the best (hes not the best atm).
So dont try to prove a point that Caps fans are 100% Ovie oriented and if his childish celebrations brings more energy for the Team (as said by Green and others) and fans, than let him continue...

Posted by: Hazz | February 22, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Dear Puckheaded1,
You don't know a single sensible hockey fan or GM who, if they were starting a franchise tomorrow, would take Crysby before Ovechkin. "Making bad decisions" is not the term for sucker punching a hockey player in the jewels; jumping an opponent who's head down for a face off; and being voted a Whiner by a stunning FIFTY TWO PERCENT of his peers. Swell Captain.
NHL *players* voted Ovechkin the MVP.
NHL *players* voted Crysby the biggest whiner.
We'll stand pat, but thanks for offering us your "leader". Hey, why'd Hossa jilt yall for DET, anyway? Is living in Pittsburgh really that bad?

Sincerely,
Guy Whose Team Kicked Your Team's Butt Today!

Posted by: redlineblue | February 22, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

As far as bandwagoners, wasn't it the Pens that almost moved a few seasons ago, until Mario jumped in a bought them? Doesn't sound like the fans were behind them very much if they almost went bankrupt! All fans like winners, and trust me most of the Caps fans in here have been through the tuff times to make it to the good ones. I've been and will be an O's fan my whole life even though they've been stinking it up since '97. I'm a HOMETOWN fan no matter how bad they are, and would be cheering for a B-More hockey team if they had one.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

puckheaded1,
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG,WRONG, WRONG.
Caps fans are just like any other fans (surprise, surprise, cuz you thought you had better fans, right? wrong!) like to see entertaining games and figting spirit nad ofcourse WINS! Any team that is losing and not playing 100% is LOOSING fans.
Crosby has a Bandwagon, cuz hes the face of the NHL. Ovechkin EARNED his bandwagon the hard way! Face it or guy trash Ovie on your boards!

Posted by: Hazz | February 22, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

puckheaded1:
"good luck in the playoffs with Theodore!"
I'd rather take my chances in the playoffs with Jose than to not make it to the playoffs at all (*cough*).

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 22, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

puckheaded1:
you are right about some fans wanting to watch a winner and not so much when losing. but i think i remember a time when the pens were talking about moving from pittsburgh. so i guess in a way most (but not all) pens fans are bandwagoners too.
you can also stop the comparison of age now. we all know crysby is younger and that will never change.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 22, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

You will never get the point! Us Caps fans are livin' in the NOW, yet you are still in the PAST. No one freakin' cares that the Pens have historically owned the Caps. Once again, I say, the reason why you hold onto the past is cause you've got nothin' right now.

"Enjoy this season - the Caps are a great team. However, good luck in the playoffs with Theodore!" -by loser

To you: good luck at the golf course, at least we'll BE in the playoffs, not sitting at home! I'm sorry your goalie isn't good enough to get you guys a playoff spot. At least Jose's got better numbers (save for save percentage)

Jose:
Wins: 23
GAA: 2.79
SP: .901

MaF:
Wins: 21
GAA: 2.95
SP: .907

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Was your mom at the Detroit game a few weeks ago? She had the same dumb comments leaving the game. "Come talk to me after Washington wins a couple cups" Bitter, bitter, bitter

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Puckhead has been giving too much head to Sid to otherwise give an intelligent observation.

Let it go Red, let it go

Posted by: gtydings | February 22, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

And your age argument does not make any sense, they both have been in the league for 4 years, OVECHKIN WAS BORN EARLIER THAN SIDNEY, so you can't make that argument! Stop saying Sidney has accomplished more before age 21, IT'S BECAUSE HE WAS BORN LATER THAN OVECHKIN, what do you not understand? Gosh you are SO DUMB!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Boo, I try. :-D
Now Malkin, him I'd take in a heartbeat (and keep him, too). But not if it meant losing anybody important. Like Ovi, Sasha, Nick, Greener, Flash, Brooksy, Brads, Varly, Neuvy, Alzner, Stecks, Gordo, Feds, Poti, Kozzy, Jose, Fehrsy, Johnny, Juice, pretty much the entirety of the Hershey Bears roster, and Pothier. Anyone else is Pittsburgh's for the taking. Which I think leaves them Nylander, Mo, Erskine and Schultz. That's plenty of cap space for Malkin!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 22, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm a hockey fan, and a Pens fan, and I love and respect Ovechkin, because he's a phenomenal hockey player. At least I can see and admit that, which would, however, clearly be asking too much of you to do the same.

Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 22, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I've been hearing the last few weeks about the Pens needing someone to play on a line with Crosby. Whats wrong with Malkin? He's damn good! Maybe it's Geno that needs a new center on his line.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

hey pinhead face it cindy is a "kid" it`s in his name and shows up in his game.I see him whine,cry and throw cheap shots very childlike.I am sure that all caps fans(I have been one for 25yrs.)would not want cindy on the Caps team.I think we made that mistake in the past with that other b*tch jagr.

Posted by: 23right | February 22, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

No one in here is saying that Crosby isnt a great hockey player. It's all the dumb S that he does that we can't stand.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I think someone said it already but I would take Backstrom over Cindy any day.

Also puckheaded1, you're preaching to the wrong choir. Pretty sure most people who read and post on a caps blog are loyal fans who it seems to me have been watching for years. Personally, I've been watching the caps for about 10 years now, that includes watching nearly every game when we sucked and having season tickets when we averaged about 13000 in attendance. I actually take some offense to being called bandwagon.

Then again, I love listening to pens fans try and find something to make fun of while their team is a bunch of scrubs (minus geno, hes pretty talented)

One last thing, don't really like "whooping" Gonchar. Glad we have Greenie now but I was a big time Gonch fan in the Bonzai and Olie days.

Posted by: JSeagull1 | February 22, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

gonchar and malkin are the only players on the pens that interest me at all. i know crysby is good – but i don’t like the way the league has tried to make him the savior of the nhl – post lockout. OV is clearly an all around better player than sidney and it’s taken three years for most of the ‘hockey experts’ to come around. i wouldn’t want crosby for the same reason i didn’t want deon sanders on the skins – i just don’t like him because he’s good and don’t care for his personality

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 22, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 22, 2009 8:47 PM

If this is the reason why you said all that stuff before, then you really have a dumb way of getting your point across. Saying "you wish he was on your team" isn't going to make me admit that Sidney is a great player. I, personally don't see anything great about him. Maybe it's cause I see Ovechkin and no one is better than him, plus Malkin is more talented than Sid. You're probably a bandwagon fan yourself, puckhead.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

This continues to be a great rivalry. Team vs. team. Player vs. player.

The Caps don't remember their 1-6 playoff stretch vs. the Penguins. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) It doesn't matter. There's plenty of bad blood and great intensity between these two teams.

I don't know about you, but I'm hoping the Pens make the playoffs. Bring 'em on. I'm betting they would have an awfully tough time against the Caps this time around.

Posted by: Terptwin | February 22, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

@ludeman95

I think the best word to describe Crosby is actually overrated.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | February 22, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

@ puckhead...
its easy to call caps fans bandwagons when your team was bankrupt 3 years ago.. and had no fans..now your have fans fans and nobody is a bandwagon???? grats your team did not sell on you!!!!

Posted by: sonotgrood | February 22, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone out there tell me how the crowd was (ratio of Pens fans to Caps fans)?

Posted by: superpaqman | February 22, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

puckheaded1:
"good luck in the playoffs with Theodore!"

Good luck with your one line that actually produces. :-)

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | February 22, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Love the rivalry!

Somehow, I'm only envious that Pens have Malkin, who probably is going to be the best player of the three, when all is said and done. Crosby has the guile, Ovechkin the explosiveness, and Malkin has quite a bit of both and seems to work the hardest of the three.

To me, Crosby is one of these players that you can't completely embrace even on your own team. It's not the worst sin, but he is whiny and comes across as feeling entitled. For the Caps, Semin is that great player that people love to hate, because he makes too many plays that come across as dumb, lazy, selfish, or immature. Now, personally, I have a soft spot for Semin, because I think culture plays a huge role in how players approach the game, and it will take sometime for this reserved Siberian hockey Picasso to fully buy into the whole North American "whatever it takes to win" mentality. Plus, he is already stepping up in big games, so he is on the right track.

Anyway, Ovechkin vs. Crosby is great. Crosby is a player that is easy to hate :)

Posted by: VladG | February 22, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

@Dizzy1205

It's really the Nhl promoting him so much that makes him overrated. If you've ever seen a HNIC intro, they show him 5 times in what? 45 secs. They(nhl) should have waited a few seasons before they jumped on someone to promote. I believe he's a good player and all, maybe it's the pressure of being the "face" that causes him to do the things he does.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

cheers to the nasty pens fan i saw in the bathroom pulling the pictures of crosby out of the urinals

Posted by: _stevo | February 22, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Awww man, now that's gross!!!

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin skated his way into my heart. Crosby was shoved at me by the NHL's PR people. The Face of the NHL to me is Ovechkin, his passion, his love of the game, the fact that he's out there where he wants to be, doing what he wants to do. I don't get those impressions at all from Crosby.

Posted by: OvechkinFan92801 | February 22, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

@ludeman95

Nah I don't believe that at all. He's been in the spotlight in Canada since he was in Juniors so he should be used to it. He's good but he's not great, and hes not super.

Sure the NHL should shoulder some of the blame of that for jumping on his bandwagon when he first came into the league but I would guess even some in the NHL's higher ranks are reconsidering that position.

He's too whiny, he feels too entitled, and he's too soft.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | February 22, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: superpaqman | February 22, 2009 9:17 PM

Pretty good, I'd even say the Habs game last week had more fans than this one. Maybe the multi-game pack selling works.

Posted by: Section117 | February 22, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

@_stevo

For real? thats just.... ewwwwww

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | February 22, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Ahh ok, I wasn't aware of his promoting at the junior level, goes to show you how much junior and minor league hockey I pay attention to. Haha

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: majiksea | February 22, 2009 6:28 PM

There's a couple of commenters out there that believe this, so I don't want to make it look like I'm picking on majiksea. So I propose this.

Next time someone takes a run on Ovie or Semin or Backstrom, Brashear should jump over the boards and nail the SOB. Of course, he'll get a 5 min major for fighting, 2 min for coming off the bench, 2 min for roughing, 2 min for unsportsman like conduct, and a game misconduct.

Then, we'll hear about what a tool he is for being selfish.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 22, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I was at the Habs game so if there were less fans than that, then thats good news. There sure were ALOT of people rocking the RED at the Detroit game though, hehe.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

@ludeman95
He's been treated like he was the second coming since juniors so I would guess that's probably where his sense of entitlement comes from.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | February 22, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

stevo:
Now that's a dedicated fan ... he's got me beat! Does that make me a bandwagoner?

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 22, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

superpaqman, to partly answer your question: my section was really unbalanced. (Not saying Pens fans are unbalanced, but the ratio was.) It seemed like there were fewer of them through the lower bowl, but the upper deck had our share. However, this is the first real "rivalry game" I've been to, so it may have been better than normal. I was also disappointed to see that some of the lower bowl was empty seats.
_stevo, oh no! My brain just went through a whole bunch of funny jokes to go along with that, but they just won't come out. Blech!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 22, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Dizzy1205, Sidney is SO SOFT! I'm so sick of him whining and saying every hit laid on him is cheap. This is a man's game, and quite frankly, I don't think he belongs in it. If you don't want to be hit, you cannot play this game.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 22, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

puckheaded1: I have to respond. My apologies to the Caps Fan gods on here because a newbie like me would taunt the little troll that is Mr. puckheaded1. I'm responding because I fell in love with hockey during my first Caps game last October. Not knowing anything about hockey and reading up on it and just following the Caps during the past couple of months have helped me develop a very rudimentary understanding of the game but above all, due to Ovi, Semin, Backstrom, Green, Theo, Brash, and the rest of the guys too many to name, I'm a Caps fan for life. So I do take offense to you calling some Caps fans bandwagon fans since it would appear that you're directing it to some of the newer fans, which would include me. I don't plan on bailing out on them whether they win or lose (knock on wood) the playoffs or the Stanley Cup finals. I plan on being here, through the good and the bad.

Now, your comments about Sidney Crosby. I looked up the video on him punching a guy in the nuts. And watched it and watched it some more. And through it all, I don't think I could have any respect for that kind of a player. Now, if punching a guy in the nuts is your definition of a classy player, then cool. You're entitled to your opinion. But you try defending a guy's reputation knowing thousands, maybe millions, of people can view that guy PUNCHING A GUY IN THE NUTS repeatedly and I'm not quite sure how you could win.

Last I checked ice hockey was sorta' about the playing as well as the "bumps and bruises" that came with it. For Crosby to keep telling the refs who clearly appreciate his picklesniffing and entertains their inner fantasies to get with a hot hockey player, just doesn't do anything for his or for your ability to justifiably defend him.

And to ease your conscience, puckheaded1, Crosby is of legal age. You can continue to do what you're doing with him. Just don't let his parents know. Lol.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 22, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey NHL OTF shows Ov twice and Crosby once, uh oh things may be changing!

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

I took an online poll recently that asked (among other questions) whether I preferred Talent or Character. Character is so much more important. You look at football teams like the Patriots and Steelers that win with Character, vs. me-first teams like the Eagles and Cowboys that have talent but not the character to really win it all. Cindy Crosby is akin to Terrell Owens. They are blessed with all the talent in the world but not the inner fortitude to make it pay off.

A better analogy may be between Cindy and Eric Lindros. Lindros never could fully shake his me-first rep, nor could he win the big one. Cindy is sort of like Eric Lindros, if only Lindros's testicles never dropped and he remained a pre-pubescent wonder-child his entire life.

Does anyone know if Maria Lemieux has had to teach Cindy how to shave yet? Perhaps Malkin and Ovechkin could have a sit-down with Cindy to tell him about the birds and the bees. They better not do it at a club because we do not need Ovie to break the jaw of anymore of Malkin's buddies.

Posted by: crooks_c | February 22, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

BTW, saw a great sign today:

NO MORTGAGE WOES HERE - WE OWN THIS HOUSE!

Nice.

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 22, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

yeah that guy was pretty gross

i did like the kid in the scuba (diver) outfit with crosby written on the back

Posted by: _stevo | February 22, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

@--Boo-

I saw that one too. Unfortunately i didn't bring or see any of the "Crosby wears a dress" signs that I was hoping for. Oh well maybe next time.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | February 22, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

@_stevo

What did he pick it up with? Hopefully he had a papertowel or something covering his hand. haha the Wild have a guy named Olvecky, pronounced Olvechky, that's funny

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

LeftCoastCapsFan, I've only been a Caps fan for 14 months, 2 days, and 16 minutes, but at least our bandwagon's headed in the right direction. I do believe the Pens' oxen died trying to cross the river.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 22, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

guys questioning Brashear's place on the team floor me.

Posted by: oo7 | February 22, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Now that's a dedicated fan, has it down to the minute she became one. jus playin

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

@Pinhead1

From TSN.CA:

"Alex Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals put their biggest rival firmly in the rear view mirror Sunday, thumping Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins with a 5-2 victory that included a dismissive goodbye wave from one superstar to the other."

Posted by: Greg S. | February 22, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: crooks_c | February 22, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I loved that "mortgage" sign! And I rode the elevator up with a kid in a penguin suit. He was with a bunch of other kids in Caps jerseys that had signs, so I'm hoping he lost a bet and was part of "show & tell".

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 22, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

@ludeman

no papertowl, it was picked out of the urinal with his hand

Posted by: _stevo | February 22, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lingering_lead | February 22, 2009 7:07 PM

boy you don't watch a lot of hockey around the league do you. Caps "loaded with big tough guys" ?

Speaking of, Backstrom has raised his game. He's getting his nose dirty instead of just playing a Nylander type of game

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 22, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

stevo:
ew, ew, ew, ew, eeeewwwwwwwww!!! please tell me he was drunk?!?

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 22, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Brashear's role has changed a little bit over the last couple of year's but I still think he plays hard and lately has been dishing out some nice passes. Maybe the reason his fighting is down is because all the older enforcers have traveled down that road and don't want to do it again and the young guys grew up watching him pound guys heads in and don't want to be on the highlight reel for losing a fight. I don't think Cote has learned yet though, maybe the Donald will gill him another lesson on Tues, and Cote can look like a racoon for the next couple weeks.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: crooks_c | February 22, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

ludeman95, I was sorta guessing, assuming the game ended at 9:30ish. It was the December Habs game last season. We lost and I was still hooked!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 22, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Yes Backstrom has def raised his hitting game up this season. Remember last year in game 1 of the playoffs when Semin layed that guy out at center ice? I was off my couch screamin my head off, it was great!

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

One game remaining vs the Pens. SWEEP!!!

Posted by: griz0615 | February 22, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

@Jmu

Glad to have you as a fellow fan!

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Why didn't Therrien play Hossa more on the Power Play?

Why didn't the Pens wear their Crybaby Blue jerseys?

What's worse, a guy wearing a Tom Brady jersey or a guy wearing a crybaby blue Crosby jersey?

Crosby is a ball puncher

Posted by: griz0615 | February 22, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

LOL
Bloggers calling others dumb, stupid, (add your insult here) is like the pot calling the kettle black.
Insulting a player on this blog accomplish what? It is like yelling at a deaf person, do you suppose they will hear you?
LOL.

Posted by: opita1 | February 22, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Watching the On the Fly highlights, I feel great for the Tampa fans, to have the mighty Bruins, the top team in the east, come in and get beat is awesome. That place had to off been rocking when that go ahead goal was scored with a little more than a minute left.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Boo:
would it really make any difference if he was drunk? either way he put his hand in a urinal - hahahahahaha

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 22, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

@ opita1

What? Huh? I'm sorry, I missed that. What did you say?

Posted by: griz0615 | February 22, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Cindy Crosby needs to take his tampon out next time so he'll be able to TRY and keep up with Ovie and TRY to score in order to still be the #2 "goal scorer" in the NHL... WTF?!? #2- really?? PENS no no ka oi

Posted by: katecj7 | February 22, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

ludeman95, Glad to be here! Its been one helluva ride so far. Can't wait to see where this goes!
Somebody recently compared being a fan to being married, and its true. In my case, I got the whole dating thing, too. We interacted through technology at first. Then had a first date that went horribly wrong, but I saw some potential and gave them another chance to impress me in person. They blew that one too (Carolina game in February). I guess my fandom is the equivalent of a Vegas wedding--I don't remember when it officially happened and common sense indicates it shouldn't have, but here I am, married, with all the "for better or worse, good contracts and bad, in man games lost and Cups won, til death" stuff to go with it. God I love Caps hockey!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 22, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

@griz

Pay no mind

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I agree with katecj7. Seriously, has there ever been a more overhyped 20 goal scorer? Ever?

Posted by: griz0615 | February 22, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

@ griz0615
"
"

Posted by: opita1 | February 22, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks ludeman95. just making sure I didn't miss anything.

Now. How does crosby suck? Let me count the ways....

Posted by: griz0615 | February 22, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

@ Jmu

I've been around since the Jagr days(yuk) when they were practicing at good ole piney orchard. Back then you could go to a practice and it was'nt nuts like now.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

opita1:
Wait a minute ... isn't that what you are doing? ;-)

Kirk:
Eeewwwwww!!

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 22, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

And it was only 15 mins from my house, not 60

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

he sucks in so many ways, there's not enough ROOM to write it all. I actually felt sorry for him today b/c he is such a pussy...

waaaaaa waaaaaa

I'm gonna dedicate "cry me a river" to him tonight so he can get some shut- eye....

Posted by: katecj7 | February 22, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

I think Shrek and Donkey is better then Geno and Sid, whatta guys think?

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I have a big time Penguin fan at work who is just as stuck up and arrogant as any Pittsburgh fan. Last year was the worst for me because he proudly display his penguin attires everyday and always goes out of his way to tell me how the Capitals had no players except OV and that is why they will never win. He even goes out of his way to say that OV should be traded to Pittsburgh if he ever wants to be a winner. I would always graciously congratulate him on the accomplishments of the Penguins and how the Caps never seem to win against Pittsburgh, but I also warned him that these are the new Caps since Bruce Boudreau became the new coach and the gap seems to be getting smaller each season. Anyway, I LOVE going to work everyday now just to have a chance to "bump" into this idiot. I don't even gloat or ask him how his Penguins are doing these days because he has not looked me in the eyes all season! Just his avoidance is all the satisfaction I need for now! If only the Capitals can go on to the Stanley Cup Finals and win it all this year, then my vengeance will be complete! Bah, ha, ha, ha! Go Caps!!!!

Posted by: JohnWWW | February 22, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

ludeman95, ahhh, the "Jagr days". lol From the way folks tell it, we devolved back to the Middle Ages during those dark times.

Pics from practice yesterday, some from Hockey n Heels, some from warm ups: http://flickr.com/photos/jmu_capsgirl/sets/72157614318429430/

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 22, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

TSN.CA has an article on the value of draft picks ( http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?ID=267960&lid=sublink05&lpos=topRelated_nhl ).

For #1-5 they list:

No. 1 - 5
Average Rating: 6.84
Best: Alexander Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Joe Thornton, Vincent Lecavalier, Dany Heatley, Ilya Kovalchuk.
Worst: Alexandre Volchkov, Pavel Brendl.

Doesn't this list look interesting? Where's Cindy? Didn't even make it. Malkin did, though.

Malkin is the real star player on the Pens.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 22, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

@boo,
How is that? Did I insult you? I hope not. I was addressing those people who have the habit of insulting others in order to make or defend their point of view. In my opinion, if I have to call someone dumb because I can not defent my argument, then I am really the dumb person.
As for insulting players on this blog, well, I just don't get it. The players is not going to read it, he will never know of the insult.

Posted by: opita1 | February 22, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I am not sure where to start....

The Washington Capitals are an incredibly classy team led by the best and classiest player in hockey. I think that it is time the fans support and reinforce the qualities of the team that we love so much.

I don't understand why the "Larry Murphy/Kevin Hatcher whoops" were directed at Sergei. He is a great former Cap who happens to play for the other team. Murphy and Hatcher earned their whoops for their poor play here.

And it's a bit like the pot calling out the kettle when Caps fans to yell at an opposing goalie that "it's all your fault" with Theo playing the way he does-- he was "up" for the Avs?

Finally, to give any response to a "picklesniffer" like puckman1 is to lower one's self to his sad and lonely existence.

I am so psyched about the future of the Capitals: great owner, great coach, greatest star, great offense, improving defense, great farm system. This is a team that is going to be a force for YEARS to come. It is time for Caps fans to elevate and reflect this greatness. After all: WE'RE BETTER THAN THEY ARE!

Posted by: Landshark | February 22, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Nice pics, my friend and I took our infant daughters to the Jan. 2 practice. It was packed, they were setting up juice boy and we were like "what in the heck is going on" Kettler is 10 times better than Piney Orchard was.

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 22, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

LOVE LOVE LOVE it, johnwwww :) that guys is FULL of it...

Posted by: katecj7 | February 22, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg S. | February 22, 2009 10:51 PM

That's because the article refers to the drafts from 95-04. Crosby wasn't drafted until 05.

Posted by: Section117 | February 22, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

ludeman95, Yeah, that was as packed as I'd ever experienced it except for the rookie scrimmage. For some reason, I always seem to hit the odd days when there's only about 30 or so people there.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 22, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

opita1:
No, you did not insult me! :-) I just thought it was kind of funny that you were making fun of people for making fun of people!! ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 22, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Section117

You've got a point. Never mind.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 22, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I am so glad that Ovie and Malkin patched things up. Hope this pisses off Cindy. Maybe Malkin will get sick of teacher's pet Cindy and defect to the Caps. This poor guy is the unsung hero. He leads the league in points but Cindy gets all the glory. Run for your life Malkin. Come to a classy club where you will be appreciated and where no one is named "Cindy."

Posted by: caraveli | February 22, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually perfectly fine with Backstrom over crosby or malkin as ther 1st point pivot man. he will cost less and is a year younger than crosby.

can i admit crosby is an amazing player? yes. does that mean i want him on my team? no.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 22, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to thank Puckheaded1 for stopping by. He's a good warm-up for more and more like him we'll be seeing as the playoffs approach.

It's been fun, but like the Caps, we have another team to talk about tomorrow.

Posted by: austinsteve | February 22, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or does Syd run his mouth way too much even after the Caps beat them in a physical battle today. Yes i am a Caps fan as you can tell but i thought the Pens came out strong actually, Gonchar's goal was pretty sick, they just dont finish games anymore. Plus what can Bylsma actually do that Therrien couldn't. The Evil-Empire may finally be falling from grace and i must say.....OH YAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!Oh and despite the good score, did anyone see Gonchar get wrecked by the Russian Machine, haha bring on the Flyers

Posted by: CapsBoy52 | February 23, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Unleash the Fury on Tuesday, local Caps Fans! I'll enjoy the posts on the site and the recap on NHL Network. Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 23, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Way too many answers to Puckheaded1.

Can't find the "wave" of OVI to Cindy anywhere :( ... the little devil in me was thinking of going to the 3/8 game with the sign: "Crosby pees sitting down"... I should be better than that though :p

Tuesday game is soooooo huge - FLA playing in BOS, and the Caps need to keep focused.

Man it feels lonely here @ CET (= GMT+1), where's Dave in UK?

Posted by: mauree | February 23, 2009 2:50 AM | Report abuse

To all the people that think Brash should have fought yesterday. I think we'll see Brash in action against Philly - yesterday wasn't worth it (this w/o having watched the game, I'm just thinking that PHI going to play more physical - and they're solid playoffs contenders).

Posted by: mauree | February 23, 2009 3:57 AM | Report abuse

Puckheaded1,
I agree with you that many people would "sniff his jock" were he here. Thats how professional sports are, the "us vs Them" mentality. Also think if ovie were not a cap, the online fans would be mocking his showboating.

Personally even if he were a cap I would still look down on his mouth and kid stuff. Much the same way I hated Jagr's awful attitude.

What I do have a problem is with the national telecast. Since I watch on espn360 I get to experience the voices of teams around the NHL. The only time I am ever annoyed is NHL on NBC where they just rub the Penguins Belly the entire game. Not because I am a caps fan, but because I look at the standings and stats and wonder where the team they are talking about is.

I wish it was neutral or one announcer from each team.

Posted by: trunkenmath | February 23, 2009 4:39 AM | Report abuse

I thought that the NBC guys gave the Caps a lot more love than they usually do, especially Milbury during the intermissions, and McGuire, love him or hate him, admits he loves coming to DC games now.

One thing the Caps management isn't getting credit for is starting the trend of promoting AHL coaches when a team makes a trade. There were several during the offseason and Ottawa and the Pens have both done it in the last couple of weeks. Seems like other teams are paying attention to how Ted & co. have built the team.

Posted by: ds_kelly | February 23, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I have never seen a team or its fans WHINE SO MUCH!!!! At times 3 of 4 officials were listening to Pissburgh players whining to them. And the biggest whiner of them all: none other than Cyndy Crybaby!!!!

I didnt see Malkin talking about cheap shots. Cindy my giri, you are seriously a chump.

Brash offered to drop the gloves TWICE yesterday and all the Pens could do was look stupid. OV was in your face Cindy, you decided to talk trash from the bench. WHAT A PUNK!!!!

Posted by: doughless | February 23, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I just thought it was funny that the commentators basically insinuated that no one on the Pens likes Sid. And that was pretty evident when Ovie and Sid were shoving and the entire Caps bench was shouting at Sid standing up for Ovie. Pens bench? Silent.

Posted by: Caps1Fan | February 23, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

@ds_kelly: I noticed that. The Caps last season and this season have made the league sit up and take notice with some of the things their front office has pulled off, both on and off the ice. Every single AHL coach who's gotten the jump to the big club this year has Bruce Boudreau to thank for their promotion. GMGM, BB, and the Caps showed the league that it could be done, and done successfully (wildly successfully in our case).

Does anyone know where I can get the NBC broadcast, or when I can catch it as a rerun? I was in the stands for the game.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 23, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

"It's not talking crap, it's the truth, and the truth is painful, isn't it? Look at the numbers and awards - Sid has done more by the age of 21 than Ovie had by age 21."

@puckhead1:
There are some things in life you can't control. One is your birthday. Because of his birthday and NHL rules Ovechkin wasn't eligle for NHL the draft until he was older. Ovechkin even appealed to no avail. What all this means is that Ovechkin didn't have the same opportunity for accomplishments at a younger age because of things he couldn't control not because of his abilities.

As far as awards, I think Ovechkin has won 5 NHL awards while Crosby has won 3. Of course one of those awards being the Calder in which he was in direct competition with Crosby.

Somehow I think I'm wasting my time and effort.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFederov | February 23, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that Crosby is NOT included in TSNs list of the top 20 players in the NHL...

I see Malkin, Green and OV. No Sidney... Hmmmm.

Pretty sure it's NOT envy.

Posted by: capshoss | February 23, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse